The Hanging Noose

By thewhorcrux19

1921 a strange man came to the Johnson's family home. He had asked for Dorothea and Micheal to return home, g... More

The Hanging Noose
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Act II
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Act III
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Act IIII
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy
Seventy-One
Seventy-Two
Epilogue
Authors Note

Fifty-Two

213 8 0
By thewhorcrux19

Tommy, upon entering Micheal's hospital room, stared at Dottie for some unknown reason. She glared back at him, however after a while her glare softened in to a frown. She wasn't sure why he kept staring at her, even when she looked away to her mum or Ada, he continued to stare. Only when he began to talk did he stop staring.

"Sorry I'm late. Where's Arthur?" He asks, looking around the table.

"Do I look like his fucking mother?" Polly scoffs, the attitude in her voice rife as Dottie and Micheal share a look with each other.

"Right. Before we start this extraordinary general meeting of the board of the Shelby Company Limited, I'd like to note the absence of the Deputy Vice President who has not yet arrived. We will continue without his presence." Tommy says as Ada and Lizzie flip open a large flat book each.

Dottie pulls her bag on to the table. She pulls a couple of cigarettes out, handing one to Ada, Lizzie and Polly. Dottie's lighter then dances around the table, lighting up each cigarette. Dottie lights up her cigarette last, throwing it back in her bag and clasping her bag shut.

"Item number one. The reinstatement of the Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer. The board welcomes back the former treasurer,
with generously improved terms and conditions. Due to the exceptionally difficult circumstances the company now finds itself in. The proposed treasurer will now check the terms and conditions to see if they are in order."

Ada hands over a price of paper to Polly, watching her closely as Polly skims it over, her eyes dancing to every word.

"Item number two." Tommy continues, "during the absence of the Company Accountant, due to ill health, all responsibility for the keeping of company accounts pass to the head of acquisitions."

Dottie looks over at Micheal again, seeing Micheal nod his head, acknowledging Tommy's words.

"Item number three. The Company Treasurer, having read the terms and condition, lodges a signed contract of employment agreeing to the terms and conditions with the temporary head of accounts. All those in favour of the reinstatement of Mrs Elizabeth Gray, to the position of Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer, please raise your hands."

Micheal, Ada and Lizzie raise their hands in sync. Tommy next as Dottie does so too.

"Why goodness, thank you." Polly says, rolling her eyes.

"Any other business?"

"Right. I declare this extraordinary general meeting over." Tommy says, sitting back slightly. "Now we can talk about the real business. But for that we need Arthur. Where the fuck is Arthur?"

"Probably shagging Linda," Dottie responds, "you know Linda hates living in Small Heath, don't you? So does Arthur from what Linda's said."

Tommy rolls his head, his eyes lingering on Dottie. He then scoffs. "I've apologised, Dottie, what more do you want?"

Raising her eyebrows, Dottie leans forward. "I don't want anything to do with you, Tommy."

Tommy lifts up his chin as Dottie stares  coldly at Tommy. When Tommy looks away, down at his lap.

A heavy silence hangs in the air as a nurse steps in to the room. Her heels clicking against the floor.

"Sorry, ladies, there's no smoking in here." She says.

"Yes, love, we know." Polly is quick to respond, standing up and showing her to the door. She smirks, half smirk and half smile, as she walks back to the table.

"All right," Tommy grumbles, "he's an hour late. Fuck him. This business directly affects Arthur, but he's not here, so we'll take a vote without him."

"What business?" Ada asks, frowning slightly.

"Official business that wasn't on your agenda, Ada." Polly says, her brief case sitting against the table. She flips it open, taking out a photograph.

"An informant told us that six years ago, Luca Changretta came from New York to Birmingham to be best man at his cousin's wedding."

"We found out that they used Reid and Dunn on Broadgate for the photographs." Polly says.

Dottie takes one, seeing a man zoomed in.

"The photographer kept the negatives. I persuaded him to give us copies. And to enlarge this one. That is Luca Changretta." Polly adds, handing Dottie first the enlarged photograph of a man.

Luca Changretta the man who tried to kill my brother, Dottie thinks immediately. Her eyes running over the man's features.

"I've seen his face, so I could pick him out. Half the men in the photograph are Changrettas, which means the chances are they are the men who come to kill us. We need to get both these photographs into pubs and on street corners. Then we put it about that there's a reward for information.

"We also propose that we give a copy of this photograph to Mr Aberama Gold." Polly says.

Dottie continues to stare at the photograph before she lets go, handing the photograph to Lizzie.

"We need to forget the idea that it has to be Arthur that pulls the trigger," Tommy continues, "tradition will just fuck us up."

Ada interjects, arguing back. "We should wait for Arthur."

"Arthur's not here, Ada." Polly says, sitting back down.

"We need Luca Changretta dead. That's it."

Polly stares at Ada. "Dropping the law of the bullet is part of the process of modernisation that I was working on before I—" her words fall. She swallows a lump in her throat. "Before I was executed."

"You weren't executed, Pol."

Polly's eyes dart to Micheal. A hard and cold look. "What did you call me?"

Micheal doesn't answer, rolling his eyes up to look at Tommy.

"Right. Let's take a vote. I'll deal with Arthur. All those in favour of giving the photographs to Mr Gold, raise your hand."

Lizzie is the first to raise her hand, followed by Micheal then Polly, and then Ada and Dottie.

"Then it will be done." Tommy concludes.

"Mum—"

"Oh, "Mum" now, is it?" Polly scoffs, standing up to tidy up her briefcase.
"I smelt perfume when I came in here."

Dottie looks at Micheal.

"Yeah, it was the flowers." Tommy is quick to say. "Right, that's it." He adds, grabbing his coat.

Polly steps forward. "Who came in here, Michael? Dottie?"

Shrugging his coat on, Tommy answers, seeing Michael's jaw clenched.
"The truth is, Polly, the woman that raised him came in here. She has every right to come in here. She brought him fucking apples and she left. We are in the middle of a vendetta and Arthur is missing."

Polly places her hat on her head, still staring at Micheal.

"We need to find him. Concentrate on what unites us. This is all temporary."

"Yeah, temporary. Right." Polly says, her glare falling to Tommy. She nudges her head slightly.

"Dottie, I've asked for a conference room down the hall. I need to speak to you," Tommy says, looking at Dottie who looks unamused at his suggestion.
"I wasn't asking. If you want your girls safe, you'll come with me."

Dottie bites her cheek, trying hard not to dig her nails in her skin. She stands up and looks at Micheal.
"I'll be right back."

Micheal nods, "go."

Tommy takes Dottie and Polly in to a small office like room down the hall. He locks the door as Dottie's eyes scan around the room. She leans against the windowsill, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Right, what's this about?"

"Isiah's been telling me you want to go home," Tommy says, "he's been saying it a lot."

"Home isn't Small Heath," Dottie responds as Polly takes a seat at the table, crossing one leg over the other.

"The truth is Dottie, you can't go home. Not yet. You may not think you're in danger—"

"I didn't get a black hand, Thomas," Dottie reminds him, using his full name and sending shivers down his spine as she stares coldly at him.
"I'm not in any danger."

"Luca Changretta was in my office today," Tommy says causing Dottie to frown. "He had a bullet for each of us, apart from you. He's wants us dead, and then you to suffer. He knows you killed Reggie Smith, and somehow he's also seen where you live. He's seen what you look like, and your family."

Dottie doesn't respond.

"Once he's killed us, he wants you. Now I won't tell you what he said he wants to do explicitly. But he sounded a lot like Reggie. And what he did to you."

Dottie freezes, her blood running cold.

"He's threatened to take you, Dots," Tommy quietly says, hesitating some more. "I can't allow him to hurt my baby cousin. I couldn't do anything to stop the arrest, but I can stop this from happening."

Dottie looks down at her hands, seeing the veins and the crinkles in her skin.
"Two years gone and he's still haunting me."

Tommy nods, sympathising with his younger cousin.

When she looks back up, her eyes are large, with tears beginning to pool in them. "Why does he want me?"

"I don't know, Dots, but I refuse to let him. He won't take you," Tommy promises, "we've agreed," he adds, sharing a look with Polly, "to have some blinders watching the house constantly. Front and back door. Isiah's going to be keeping a gun in the house as well."

Dottie shakes her head, "this is all a fucking mess, Tommy."

"If things go south, you'll go with Esme. The Lee's move around every night so no one will find you."

"Tom... if I die, and Isiah dies, my girls will grow up without any parents," Dottie croaks out in a quiet voice, "even if Changretta doesn't kill me, he'll destroy their lives."

Tommy nods, he then steps forward, crouching down in front of the younger girl. He holds on to her chin, lifting her head up slightly.
"I swear on Charlie's life, I won't let him harm you, Thea."

Dottie looks at him for a moment. She then nods. "Thank you, Tom."

The cousins seemed to have an understanding. A mutual understanding of protectiveness and loyalty. As much as Dottie loathed Tommy for the past two years, she couldn't deny she had missed her older cousin.

"Come here," Tommy says, pulling her up on to her feet. He elopes her in to his chest, kissing her forehead.

Dottie sniffs.

"I'll kill him, Dots, I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

730K 19.6K 67
after a night of violent pub fights, michael gray stumbles across a shivering midwife and offers her company after the delivery of a baby. [started...
38.2K 784 10
The love story of Eve Jesus the preachers daughter and Tommy Shelby.
78.8K 1.5K 20
'π’½π‘œπ“…π‘’' /hΙ™ΚŠp/ noun '𝓉𝒽𝑒 π’»π’Ύπ“‡π“ˆπ“‰ π“ˆπ“‰π‘’π“… π“‰π‘œπ“Œπ’Άπ“‡π’Ήπ“ˆ π’Ήπ’Ύπ“ˆπ’Άπ“…π“…π‘œπ’Ύπ“ƒπ“‰π“‚π‘’π“ƒπ“‰' - michael gray x fem!oc peaky blinders
138K 3K 78
πŸ“–| FOUND πŸ‘₯| Florence/Micheal Gray, Shelby Family πŸ’Œ| Isiah Jesus ✍️| gracessecretshelby disclaimer: I do not any characters within this book apart...