The Stars In Your Eyes ✩ Tim...

Galing kay moonhugger010

Connie Marie had it all. Good friends, money, popularity, and good looks. But she wasn't happy. She didn't wa... Higit pa

The Stars In Your Eyes
Never Walk Alone At Night
The East Side
Little Soc
Dead Girl Walking
You're Safe Now
Only For A While
Distractions Don't Work
Counting Stars
The Shepard Family
Rough All Over
Drunk Sick And Beat Up
Lovestruck
Carnival
Prove It
Happy Birthday
Buck's
A Night To Remember
The Morning After
He's Back pt.1
He's Back pt.2
All's Bad That Ends Bad
Other Side Of The Tracks
Hangover
Cheap Black Coffee
Kiss Me Goodbye
Old Lessons
The River Kings
The Lark's Call

Unexpected

61 1 0
Galing kay moonhugger010

Milo and Otis are back at it again, bickering this time over politics from their routine stools at the counter. Behind them, Mira huffs at them while she fusses over a smug on a coffee pot. Meanwhile, I snicker at the scene— it's like a mom and her two sons.

As per usual, Angelo's nightly clientele differs from its daily one. I stare at the clock between the tables I waitress. There are hours left of my shift and I want nothing more than to go home. As Mira so gently put it, I look like a "sleep-deprived mummy" and I feel like one too.

On top of not having slept in days, I can't stop thinking about what Bre and Whales said to me. Their advice has been set in my brain all day like stone. Despite knowing what they were trying to tell me, I still can't help feeling like this is my fault.

I sigh, returning plates to the window just as my co-worker taps my arm. I look at her, raising an eyebrow.

"Jeez, clock out early, would you, Connie?" She advises. "You're eyes are all red and Angelo said you've been here since nine this morning. Go home, go get some sleep.

I roll my eyes. "I'm fine. Besides I can't sleep anyway."

Mira gives me a look. One I know all too well. Like a mother scolding her child. But the look breaks as the bell above the door chimes. She sighs. Before I can move to serve the customer, however, she grabs my arm.

"Hey. Just promise after this last guy you'll go home. I'll cover for you, and Angelo won't mind." She says.

I shake my head, hiding a smile. I do want to go home, I just know I won't be able to sleep. Well, actually, I don't really want to go home. With Megan and Paul looking for a place to live, they have decided to hold up at our place until they can get one of their own.

My sister nearly had a fit when she found all hers and Paul's clothes wouldn't fit in the same closet space. This in turn led to Megan putting half her belongings in my room which she now treats as an extension of her own.

I hardly have any privacy anymore and it doesn't help that on top of planning a wedding, Meg's pregnancy isn't doing us any favors either. Three months along and she's already complaining that she's eating for two and that her back aches.

If I ever got pregnant, my mom would surely slap me silly.

"Fine." I give in, chewing my bottom lip as Mira gives me a persuasive look. "Fine, I'll clock out after I serve this dude."

Mira smiles at me. "Okay." She says carefully, eyes twinkling. "Okay, deal."

"Deal," I confirm, digging into my apron pocket for my order pad and pen.

Sighing, I turn on my heel while tucking hair behind my ear. But the boy at the counter catches me off guard— sapphire eyes and midnight hair, a combination I know all too well. And one that is completely unexpected.

"Connie!" Curly Shepard says, seemingly just as shocked to see me as I am to see him.

"Oh! Hiya, Curly." I smile. "How are you?"

Regardless of my history with Tim, I still have a soft spot in my heart for his kid brother.

Curly smiles at me, resting his arms on the bar. "Not too bad. And yourself?"

I shrug. "Alright."

He nods, snagging a menu from one of the stands and pretending to scan over it. "Where've you been all this time?" He suddenly quizzes, cobalt eyes drifting up to meet mine. "The gang's been worried sick— though none of them would admit it." He adds, speaking more to himself.

My head falls. "I didn't mean to frighten anyone," I say shyly.

The kid shakes his head, greasy black curls falling over his forehead. He chuckles, "You had Tim running in circles for months, you know that." Curly says in a tone that suggests he finds humor in what I did to Tim.

My gaze shifts to a glare. "Listen Curly, I'm not supposed to stand around talking to customers. Whadda you want?"I glance over my shoulder and through the window into the kitchen.

After the dinner rush, Mira and I have been serving pretty much just coffee all night and I'm pretty sure Bret stepped out to take a smoke break long ago.

Curly follows my gaze. "I haven't decided yet..." He says slowly.

I roll my eyes. "Well when you do, I'll be around," I tell him before walking down the bar to where Mira is still scrubbing her coffee pot.

She looks up as I approach, her gaze drifting to the boy at the far end of the counter. "Why is every boy that comes in here looking for you, scary-looking?" She bluntly inquires. "I mean, that one guy was terrifying, but Curly Shepard..." Mira trails off, tsking as she shakes her head. "What interesting taste in men, don't you have?"

"Interesting taste in people I know." I correct.

Mira shrugs. Her eyes flick from her coffee pot and back to Curly. "I think he wants your attention."

I glance back. Sure enough, Curly is waving me over.

Mira pinches my elbow. "Last customer." She says seriously, holding up her index finger.

Nodding, I strut away.

Curly holds out his menu to me as I stop on the other side of the counter, a toothy grin on his face.

"What'll it be?" I ask, grabbing the menu from him.

"I don't have any money." He responds, still grinning.

I tap my pen on my order pad before shoving it back into my pocket. I can't help but smile at Curly's antics as I grab a plastic cup from under the counter and fill it with ice water to give to the boy. It's the only free thing on the menu.

His smile widens as I set the cup in front of him. "Giving to the poor now are you, little Soc?" He jokes.

I roll my eyes. "Don't call me that."

I take a rag from the sink, using it to wipe down the counter beside Curly.

He laughs. "That's what Tim always called you." He reminds me.

"Don't care," I say, pushing back my hair. "Tim ain't here."

Curly nods, not saying anything for a moment. "When'd you start working here?" He suddenly asks, glancing around the diner.

"Uh... 'bout three months ago." I shrug. "I wanted to start doing something for myself for a change. That and having an excuse to get out of the house is always a good thing."

"I hear that..." He nods, but quickly snaps back to his tough boy routine. "And wow, rich girl, look at you working for yourself!"

I slap Curly with my rag as I walk by him, rolling my eyes. As I walk around the counter to clear off a table that just left, I hear him laughing. While I clean the table, Curly jumps into the booth.

"So?"

I look up, stacking the dirty plate with silverware and grabbing the half-finished coffee mug. "So, what?" I turn on my heel, making my way back to behind the counter.

Curly follows me. "So... what are you doing tonight?"

I chuckle, glancing up at him while sliding the dirty dishes through the window. "Pouring lukewarm coffee and dealing with Milo and Otis until they have to go to work."

"Connie!" Milo calls just on cue.

Curly looks from Milo to me, chuckling as he does. I shake my head, smiling to myself as I grab a coffee pot.

"Long night?" Milo quizzes as I top off his and Otis's java mugs.

"Long Day but who's counting?" I quiz. "Staying on my feet is better than talking about Lyndon B."

"Never get involved with politics," Otis says, already sipping his coffee.

"Wasn't intending to." I shake my head with a smile.

"Connie," Mira pinches my elbow, coming up behind me. She taps her watch. "God, go home before I force you to."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, I was just—"

"I'm walking her back," Curly says as he takes the singular empty seat between Milo and Otis.

We all turn to look at the boy. Mira's glares turn from Curly to me, before she pulls me off to the side while the Shepard is left to deal with our regulars.

I sense the danger before Mira even opens her mouth.

"Girl..." She tsks. "Blink if you need help."

I laugh. "Curly's just a friend."

I turn to leave, but she snatches my wrist. "You do know who his brother is, right? Tim Shepard, gang leader. Ring any bells?"

"I'm well aware of who his family is," I assure the girl while taking her hand. "And I promise nothing bad is going to happen to me," I add upon noticing the wide-eyed look she gives me

"Connie! You're customers scare me!" The topic of our conversation suddenly calls, I look over my shoulder, chuckling to myself as Milo and Otis argue over whether Kennedy or Johnson is the better U.S. president.

"See..." I say to Mira. "He's a good kid underneath all that grease."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

21.9K 574 51
RANKINGS: 🙏#129 in idk 🙏# 38 in greasers 🙏#74 in the outsiders 🙏 #1 In old story!! "Its either you stay with us or be disowned and out on the st...
79K 1.1K 21
No one expected the two people who hated each other most to fall in love. After never ending arguments, fights, and unexpected events they slowly fel...
4.8K 184 31
a dallas winston love or hate story? who knows? read to find out;) THANKS FOR 1K READS!! started (12/31/20) ended (1/11/21)