The Illusion Of Us

By KLastella

In "The Illusion of Us," Ava and Ethan are the embodiment of a perfect love story. Celebrating six years of s... More

A Note to Readers
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
...Let Me Know...
It's Done!
(TWIST) CHAPTER ONE
(TWIST) CHAPTER TWO
(TWIST) CHAPTER THREE
(TWIST) CHAPTER FOUR
(TWIST) CHAPTER FIVE
(TWIST) CHAPTER SIX
(TWIST) CHAPTER SEVEN
(TWIST) CHAPTER EIGHT
(TWIST) CHAPTER NINE
(TWIST) CHAPTER TEN
(TWIST) CHAPTER ELEVEN
(TWIST) CHAPTER TWELVE
(TWIST) CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER 4

13.8K 238 18
By KLastella

As the final hours of the year ticked away, Ethan, Ava, and their close circle of friends gathered around a crackling bonfire on the beach. The fire's glow battled against the darkness, casting a warm, flickering light over everyone's faces. Logs popped and hissed, throwing sparks into the night like tiny fireworks.

The couples settled into cozy cuddles, blankets draped over their shoulders, as they each held a glass of wine, their favorite vintages brought especially for this moment. The air was filled with anticipation and the tang of sea salt mingled with the smoky scent of the bonfire.

"Okay, everyone, it's almost time!" Tony announced, checking his watch with excitement.

Amy, snuggled against Carlson, began the countdown. "Ten, nine, eight..."

The group joined in, their voices growing louder and more excited with each number.

"...three, two, one—Happy New Year!" they shouted in unison, the beach echoing their cheer.

Glasses clinked in a symphony of crystal against crystal, wine splashing slightly over the rims in their eagerness. "To love, laughter, and friendship that lasts a lifetime!" Ava toasted, her eyes shining brightly as she leaned into Ethan's embrace.

"And to Ava and Ethan, may your upcoming wedding be as perfect as the two of you are together!" Jasmine added, raising her glass higher.

Laughter, cheers, and the soft murmur of New Year's resolutions being shared filled the air. The couples exchanged kisses, the single friends hugged, and everyone basked in the warmth of the fire and each other's company.

Sofia, always the jester, joked, "Now, let's make sure none of us do anything that ends up as a New Year's viral video, alright?"

The group erupted into laughter, knowing full well that their fun might just be memorable enough to break the internet. But that was a worry for another day. For now, they were content to be together, welcoming the New Year with open hearts and joyous spirits.

The group, still reveling in the warmth of their New Year's gathering, was jolted out of their cheerfulness by a sudden notification. It was a message on their long-dormant group chat, and the sender's name brought a wave of stunned silence: Violet.

She had been absent from their lives for six years after moving to France, leaving no digital trace behind. Her sudden text was a shock to them all.

Violet's message read: "Hey everyone, I'm coming home soon. Can't wait to catch up!"

Ava's eyes widened with a mix of shock and delight. "Look, it's Vi! She's coming back!" she exclaimed, her voice a cocktail of disbelief and joy.

The others crowded around the phone, re-reading the message as if to confirm its reality. "Violet? After all this time?" Amy muttered, a smile slowly breaking on their face.

"Violet? Is she serious?" Jasmine asked, breaking her silence.

Ava, her eyes shining with unshed tears, clutched her phone close. "I can't believe it. Vi's coming back. She might even be here for my wedding!" She was already lost in thoughts of reunion, her words tumbling out in a giddy rush.

The group began to buzz with speculation and excitement, each person voicing their surprise and theories on why Violet had suddenly decided to return. They reminisced about old times, their laughter resuming, albeit with a new, curious undertone.

"I wonder what brought her back after all these years," Amy pondered aloud, their tone laced with curiosity.

"Do you remember the last party we had with her?" Sofia chimed in, a nostalgic smile spreading across their face. "That was epic. She always knew how to make things fun."

"Yeah, and her sudden move to France? That was so like Violet, always full of surprises," Carlson added, laughing.

Meanwhile, Ethan remained silent, his expression distant. As the others speculated and laughed, his mind seemed to be elsewhere, perhaps entangled in a web of memories and emotions tied to Violet's unexpected message.

As the laughter and stories continued, Ava's gaze drifted to Ethan, who had been unusually quiet. His usual easygoing demeanor was replaced by a pensive silence.

"Ethan, you've barely said a word," Ava pointed out, her tone soft but curious. "You and Violet were always so close. Aren't you happy she's coming back?"

The room quieted down, as everyone's attention turned to Ethan. He seemed to struggle for a moment, looking for the right words.

"Yeah, it's... good news," Ethan replied, his voice hesitant. The lack of his usual enthusiasm didn't go unnoticed. "Just didn't expect to hear from her again, that's all."

Tony, observing Ethan's reaction, sensed there was something more behind his quietness. He recalled the close bond Ethan and Violet had shared and wondered if Ethan's silence was a reflection of unresolved feelings or a past that was still too tender to touch.

As the group's laughter and chatter filled the room, Tony kept his thoughts to himself, realizing that Ethan's subdued reaction to Violet's news was a private matter, something that perhaps only Ethan could understand and come to terms with in his own time. The joyous mood continued, but beneath the surface, there were layers of emotions and histories yet to be unraveled.

In their room, the festive atmosphere of the evening seemed a distant memory. Ethan's unusual behavior lingered in Ava's mind as she lay beside him on the bed. His silence was uncharacteristic, and his physical distance felt like an invisible barrier between them.

"Are you sure you're okay, baby?" Ava asked gently, her voice laced with concern. She watched Ethan closely, trying to read the emotions hidden behind his closed eyes.

There was a brief silence before Ethan responded, his voice weary. "I'm just tired, babe. I just want to sleep right now." His words were abrupt, cutting through the quiet of the room.

Ava nodded, though a flicker of worry crossed her face. "Oh, alright," she replied, her tone soft and understanding. She reached out, intending to offer a comforting kiss, but Ethan turned away, presenting his back to her.

A chill of unease crept into Ava's heart as her gesture was quietly rebuffed. It was unlike Ethan to dismiss her affection so bluntly. For a moment, she lay there, a tangle of anxiety and confusion clouding her thoughts.

But Ava shook off the negative feelings, attributing Ethan's behavior to sheer exhaustion and perhaps the unexpected news of Violet's return. She whispered a quiet "Good night, babe," into the darkness, hoping that sleep would bring back the warmth and closeness that had momentarily slipped away in the wake of Ethan's unspoken turmoil.

In the days following their vacation in Miami, life for Ethan and Ava had returned to its usual rhythm. The wedding preparations were proceeding without a hitch, and the couple found themselves in a comfortable routine. Tonight, they had planned a dinner with their parents, a casual check-in to discuss the wedding preparations, now just over a month away.

At the dinner, the atmosphere was warm and convivial, with Ethan and Ava's families gathered around the table. The conversation naturally steered towards the upcoming wedding.

"So, how's the wedding planning going?" Ava's mother asked, her eyes twinkling with excitement.

Ava beamed, "It's going great, Mom. We've got the venue and the caterer all set. And the dress... wait till you see it!"

Ethan chimed in with a smile, "Yeah, it's all coming together nicely. We're really looking forward to it." Ethan added, "And we've got the band sorted. They're really good."

Ethan's father, a man of few words, nodded approvingly. "Sounds like you've got it all under control. It's going to be a great day."

Ava's mother continued, "And Ava, your dress? I can't wait to see you in it."

Ava laughed, "It's a surprise, Mom. But I promise, you'll love it."

Her father raised his glass. "To Ava and Ethan, may your future be as bright and joyful as this occasion."

Everyone raised their glasses in agreement, the clink of glass echoing warmly in the room.

Nate, Ava's big brother, leaned forward with a mischievous grin. "Just make sure you don't get cold feet, Ethan. You're getting a real gem here."

Ethan laughed, "No chance of that, Nate. I'm the lucky one here."

Ava's mother's gaze softened as she looked at them. "You two really are perfect for each other. We couldn't be happier."

Ava reached out and squeezed Ethan's hand under the table, a silent gesture of love and unity.

Ethan, though he smiled and engaged in the conversation, had a faraway look in his eyes for just a moment, a hint of the internal conflict he had been grappling with since the news of Violet's return.

The evening continued with more laughter and shared stories, the families bonding over shared memories and the excitement of the upcoming wedding. But beneath the surface, Ethan's momentary distant gaze lingered in Ava's mind, a subtle reminder of the unresolved emotions that still hung in the air.

It had been several weeks since Ava and Ethan last shared a passionate night or quality time together. Ethan's residency at the hospital kept him busier than ever, leaving little time for them as a couple. So, after a family dinner, Ava planned a special evening to give her fiancé a much-needed break.

Luckily, Ethan had to pick up some important papers at the hospital after dinner, giving Ava the perfect opportunity to prepare a romantic surprise at their apartment. She hurriedly scattered rose petals from the front door to their bedroom, which she'd kept fresh in the fridge.

After slipping into her red lace lingerie, Ava felt a surge of confidence. The delicate fabric accentuated her curves, the lace pattern playfully teasing the eye. She added a touch of her favorite perfume, its scent as enticing as the lingerie. Standing before the mirror, Ava admired her reflection. The lingerie set off her skin tone beautifully, and her hair fell in soft waves around her shoulders.

She smiled, her eyes sparkling with mischief and anticipation. "Sexy night will be tonight!" she giggled to herself, amused and excited by her own playful words.

As she heard the front door open, Ava quickly positioned herself on the bed, her heart racing with excitement. She reclined gracefully, propped up on one elbow, her other hand resting lightly on her hip. This pose showcased the elegant lines of her figure, the red lace of her lingerie offering a striking contrast against the soft bedding.

Her legs were crossed at the ankles, adding an air of casual elegance. Ava's eyes sparkled with anticipation, her lips curved into an inviting smile. The dim candlelight in the room cast a warm glow over her, enhancing the romantic and intimate ambiance. She was the picture of allure, waiting for Ethan's reaction to her carefully planned surprise.

"Babe?" Ethan's voice echoed, tinged with surprise at the petal-strewn floor and the dimly lit room, illuminated only by candles. The scent of fresh perfume filled the air.

"I'm here!" Ava called out, adding a sultry tone to her voice. Ethan's sharp intake of breath upon entering the bedroom was the only sound for a moment.

"Babe? Don't you like how I look?" Ava asked, noting his stunned silence.

Ethan's laughter, soft and warm, dissolved the last traces of tension in the air. "Are you trying to seduce me, woman?" he asked, his voice a deep melody that resonated with affection and desire.

Ava's grin broadened, her eyes alight with a playful yet intense passion. She gave a slow, deliberate nod, her gaze locked with his. Ethan closed the distance between them with measured steps, each one charged with anticipation.

As he reached her, he gently cradled her face in his hands, his touch as tender as it was familiar. Ava's cheeks flushed with a rosy hue, her heart fluttering like a captive bird. Despite the countless times they had been this close, each touch from Ethan felt like a new discovery, a treasure unearthed.

"I've missed you, babe," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath. Her eyes, deep pools of emotion, conveyed more than words ever could. They reflected love, longing, and a yearning that had only grown during their time apart.

Ethan gazed into her eyes, finding himself lost in the depth of her emotions. He didn't respond with words; the moment called for a language beyond the spoken. Gently, he leaned in and captured her lips with his in a deep, affectionate kiss. It was a kiss that spoke of missed moments and rekindled flames, a kiss that seemed to stop time.

After weeks of missing each other due to Ethan's busy schedule, their embrace now deepened with a sense of urgency and familiarity. The dim candlelight cast a soft glow over them as they came together, reconnecting not just in heart but in body too. Laughter and whispers filled the room, a mix of relief and renewed passion.

Each touch and kiss was filled with all the love and longing they'd been holding back. It was clear they were making up for lost time, their actions speaking louder than any words could. The night turned into a rediscovery of each other, a reminder of their deep connection.

In the comfort of their shared space, Ava and Ethan let their love take physical form, rekindling the intimacy that had been put on hold. It was familiar yet filled with a new intensity, a celebration of their love and a reassertion of their bond.

This evening was about them being together in the most intimate way, reigniting the passion that was always there, just waiting for the right moment to come alive again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 24.4K 76
Love. As 'beautiful' as love can be it hurts and bleeds. If you're unlucky you may even love the very person you know you can't have. The best friend...
431K 7.2K 51
Love. I was such a fool for falling in love. All it gave me was pain and suffering. -------------------- 6 years ago he broke my heart and left me...
507K 13.4K 39
What happens when you realise the man who owns your heart no longer treasures it? The man you fell in love with no longer exists? Do you stay? Or do...
343K 6.6K 52
Emotions are what makes us human, especially love. Caring for other individuals keeps our humanity intact. But, what's Peri to think when the very fe...