A Series of Zutara Stories

By Missxcocoa

This is just a few one shots I made for Zutara (Usually made cause I'm fighting a nasty case of the writers b... More

We Are Not Mistakes
Peace and Quiet (Smut)
Morning Love (Smut)
Agni Kai
Rendezvous
Firewater (Smut; read warning first)
Making an Heir
Blowing Smoke (smut drabble)
Lovemaking (Smut Drabble)
Reuniting
Just the Beginning (Zutara Finale Oneshot)
Silence
One Last Night
Regrets (Jet/Zuko/Katara)
Lingering (Zuko/Katara/Jet)
Realization
Realization: Zuko's Turn
No Mercy
Ovation (smut)

How She Knows

203 6 2
By Missxcocoa

Katara always thought she was so sure of her destiny, what she was put in this world to do. Yet when she saw the necklace her boyfriend had dangled so proudly over her, his sheepish boyish smile she thought she fell so hard for, Katara felt nothing but uncertainty and dread. It was a carved pendant commonly used in the Northern Tribe the Air Nation symbols carefully etched into them. She stared at the blue and orange ribbon, a silky chain in-between his fingers.

"Aang...what is this?" She dared herself to ask, dreading the answer that she swore she already knew. He blinked a little, his cheeks burning as he kept his smile.

"Well, with everything that happened, saving the world, traveling and all..." he stopped and shook his head. "No, before even that, the moment I saw you. I knew...you were my forever girl." Katara desperately tried to keep a straight face.

"I knew from the moment I saw you in that iceberg I was destined to be with you. And I...well, I want to make it official. Make us official." Silence overcame them again as a fearful hand clutched her mother's necklace a heavy feeling in her stomach. An awkward laugh leapt out of him as he cleared his throat. She watched his adam's apple bob nervously as he continued to look at her.

Katara was now all too aware of her surroundings. The candlelit picnic, the seclusion of the meadow he had flown them to overlooking the view of the beautiful and vast mountaintops of the Air temples. The seemingly endless clouds seemed to only feel more constricting knowing she wasn't easily able to physically evade him should things go south. In her vast and beautiful prison, she had no choice but to imagine a life with him. She had watched over the years as his temperance and his control of the avatar state was still just as immature as ever despite the grand displays he was capable of. Still, after so many times, she was the one who continuously dragged him out of his state of turmoil.

Katara imagined a lifetime of being his forever girl; forever being the one to quell his temper. Fear iced her veins, the future flooding her mind. What if they had children and they angered him enough to trigger the Avatar State? What if she wasn't there and he was in the state? Would he even be mindful of the child in his fury? She imagined the children forever living in fear of their father, wondering when his unchecked fury was going to come for them.

"Katara." Aang's voice pulled her out of her thoughts, noticing this smile had dropped, nervousness overtaking the excitement in his eyes. "This is the part where you say yes." He forced out a laugh, his eyes staring into hers expectantly. Her throat had seized as her voice croaked out, not even knowing what she wanted to say. The sound of a hawk cry had snatched both of their attention from each other, as Katara thanked the spirits for the interruption. The royal Fire Nation insignia displayed on the plumage of the bird as it landed in front of them.

"Must be from Zuko." Katara said, finally finding her voice. The bird moved towards her, making it clear to whom the missive was addressed to. "Give him a treat would you please, Aang?" She barely caught his irritation as he grabbed some bread for the creature, feeding it out of his hand as Katara fetched the letter from its carrier. The hawk ate vigorously, appreciating the meal, Aang's eyes were on her however, as Katara could feel the slight narrowing of his eyes on her.

"What does it say, sweetie?" Aang asked as he watched her read. Katara quickly closed the letter, keeping it from his prying eyes. Nervousness overwhelmed her as she clutched the paper tightly.

"I should head over there, he needs me." She quickly said. "It's urgent." Aang didn't hide his disappointment as he watched her rise from the small picnic he had worked on.

"What about...my question?" He insisted. Katara froze once again keeping a false smile as she turned to him, her own heart racing against his chest.

"I'm sorry Aang...I just really need to help Zuko right now. I'll give you an answer soon, I just need...time." That was the most honest she had been she had realized. Sorrow weighed on his shoulders.

"O-Okay." He acquiesced. The hawk screeched at them both as Katara played with her hands.

"Do you think you can fly me over towards the nearest port so I can ride over there?" She asked.

"Wouldn't you rather me just fly you towards the Fire Nation?" He asked. "It's not a problem, you are my girlfriend after all." He laughed once again, making her wonder if he had just said it to say it or to remind her of their relationship. She fought the urge to roll her eyes at the thought, remembering how eager he was to treat his fangirls, and how dismissive and cruel his admirers were to her whenever they had run into his so-called acolytes.

"No, Aang, it's best that I travel alone for this one." She said, trying not to react as she watched him nearly deflate. "There's a ship waiting for me to bring me towards the Fire Nation anyway, I think it'll be much better if I travel with them."

The flight towards the port was short and somehow the longest flight she had ever endured with Aang. Even in moments of silence between them before, things felt easy, light and serene. She normally took in the sight of the world from a unique view that only flying on a sky bison could give her. Yet, she longed for the confinement of the ship, the ever crashing waves against the hull. More importantly, she wanted away from this awkward feeling.

Katara stole a glance towards Aang, seeing how his shoulders were slumped as he sat upon Appa's head. One hand on the reigns almost like a formality of the illusion of controlling the bison when both of them knew he was well trained and obedient when it came to travels unless the situations were dire. The other hand held the necklace that was so close to being around her neck. Katara placed her hand on her own necklace, a semblance of relief to feel her mother's necklace still with her. Her eyes moved towards her boyfriend once again. She bit her lip, wanting to say something to him, but had no words to say to him.

Without another word, Katara slid off the large beast once he landed safely towards the Fire Nation ship. She walked up towards one of the many armored men explaining that she was summoned by the Fire Lord. While she was getting everything settled with the crew, Aang had pulled out all of her things, knowing she couldn't be without them during her travels. He gave her a saddened smile as he handed her the last of her things.

"Safe travels, sweetie." He said.

"Thanks, Aang." Quickly the monk pulled her in by the waist stealing a quick kiss.

"I love you." Katara froze for a moment, the silence damning. He looked at her expectantly for a moment as she snapped out of her quick daze.

"I love you too, Aang." Hesitantly, he moved back, watching her retreat into the ship with her meager belongings. Katara was quick to turn her back on him as she sighed holding her small bag of necessities, recalling how Aang insisted they wouldn't need too many items on their various travels to live as the monks before him did.

She felt free to release a heavy sigh, as she flopped on one of the guest beds below the deck knowing she was covered by the vast and thick walls of metal, knowing Aang was unable to see her. Guilt came crashing in against her relief, knowing why she was acting this way. What she didn't know was why his sudden proposal made her stomach drop the way it did. Aang had no problem making his feelings towards her known, ever plentiful with affection. She was the target of envy, many young women and other women praising her luck in catching the Avatar's eye the way she did. She had known how coveted the idea of being the Avatar's girl was.

The Avatar's girl. Is that all I truly become? She dared to ask herself a she flopped onto one of the guest beds lazily flopping her bags onto the ground.

Just his girl? An annoyed scoff came over her as she freely rolled her eyes.

I'm his forever girl.

Forever.

That was the word that made her heart sink. She had known that she wanted to be married eventually, desiring a relationship like she remembered of her parents, but yet, when it came her loving boyfriend, she could not see a life of bliss that her parents had made in the short span of Kya's life.

Mom.

Her hand clutched the pendant of her necklace, reliving the fear of such a valuable piece of her being replaced. How many times had Katara made it clear that this was the last piece of her mother? The only tangible feeling she could carry of Kya as she continued the life she had sacrificed so selflessly for? Pain flooded her eyes as tears began to cascade down her cheeks, reveling in the solitude that Katara didn't even know she needed.

~~

Katara grinned rushing towards the docks before the ship had time to fully stop. She spotted the awaiting ruler as the ocean bent to her will, carrying her towards him. Zuko laughed as he caught her with ease, not minding the salty water that splashed on him. He spun her with joy as she giggled in glee holding onto her dear friend.

"I missed you!" She exclaimed.

"Always a pleasure to see you." He grinned. After placing her down, he grabbed her bags much to the dismay of his dear friend and the servants that had accompanied him. With gentle goading, he urged them all to walk with towards the palace.

"I'm glad you could come." He said. "I don't think I could ask for anyone more suitable to help me with this situation than you." Katara fought back a faint blush at his words, smiling at him.

"I can't believe you're doing this already." She replied, her smile fading lightly. "I thought you were more focused on the Nation's economy and the relationship between you and the Earth Kingdom?" Zuko pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a heavy sigh.

"I am." He answered, a small huff of annoyance in his tone. "It's the council insisting I make moves towards granting this nation with a Fire Lady." Katara cocked a brow at his annoyance.

"Is it really that pressing of a matter?" She asked.

"It is to them and I just want them to be quiet about it. So I figured I start officially courting Mai." The Master Waterbender was well aware of the tired tone that lay in the underbelly of his voice. This was something that he had been pressured into for a while she figured. The Fire Lord let out another sigh.

"Though, the life of a Fire Lady never truly seemed to be in her interest and I'm no good at romance and winning her over." Katara swallowed back her thoughts hearing the defeat in his voice.

"I take it that's where I come in?" He nodded.

"Well, you love romance," he stated, "and considering how happy you and Aang seem to be, I thought I'd ask an expert in love I was close with." Katara pursed her lips praising the spirits that Zuko was not looked at her when he said what he did. Thoughts forced her heart into her stomach as she questioned herself.

Do we really seem so happy? She swallowed hard at the thought.

Are we really happy? Am I happy?

"Right." Golden eyes cast down towards her now, a mixture of confusion and concern softening his features as the two fell silent during the duration of their walk.

"Katara?" Before he could even ask, a servant rushed towards the two of them rashly needing him. He offered a small apologetic smile as he departed towards his duties. There, Katara was alone in the vast palace that had seemed so empty without his presence as the only thing to keep her company was her thoughts.

~~

Zuko looked down as he slumped in his chair across from his dear friend. Katara gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Rough day?" She sheepishly asked.

"The sages are still pressuring me over this even though I've already agreed to court Mai officially." He ran his hands over his face heaving out an exasperated sigh. "I don't know what else they want from me!" She reached across the table placing a gentle hand on his arm keeping her smile as he peaked through his fingers.

"Well, that's why I'm here right?" She stroked up his arm. "We'll get through it." He lowered his hands, placing one on her arm, giving her an appreciative smile.

"Right." He confirmed. "Thank you."

"Of course." She said. "Now, what do you plan to do to sweep her off her feet?" Zuko cocked a brow at her.

"I'm sorry?"

"You know...a grand gesture, show her declarations of love or interest." Red flushed to his cheeks.

"I...uh..." Katara confidently squeezed his arm her smile growing.

"That's what we're going to do." She said.

"What has she been complaining about as of late? Do you know?" Zuko scoffed to himself a quick roll of his eyes before looking back towards her.

"Honestly, she's been complaining about everything since the war ended. But I guess mostly how bored she's been since peace has been reestablished." He explained. "I've noticed she's been placing ridiculous orders on my staff as of late to entertain her." Katara fought back her grimace.

"When I put a stop to that, she stopped coming over as much." He sighed, his finger tapping on the table.

"Maybe what she's looking for is excitement." Katara offered. "When Aang first took Sokka and I, we were amazed at how large our world truly was. I mean we both knew there was more than the South Pole. But it was a whole different thing to see it and engage with a world we never even dreamed of."

"A cute idea," he began "but even as a Consort of mine, we wouldn't get much opportunity to travel. Not to mention we wouldn't have the time. I have a Nation to run."

"So bring the world here." She suggested excitedly. "Show her the world we're making day by day. Share the culture, all the things she missed while she was traveling with Azula. Not to mention, it'd work on improving relations with everyone as well while we're sharing our cultures and bonding." Zuko thought for a moment.

"You know, that might not be a bad idea." He quietly said. "What would we do?"

"Give her some new foods, a banquet between the two of you. Maybe some showcasing of other cultures, maybe even a couple of dances shared between you two." She wistfully said, her hand on her chest. Zuko gave her a teasing smile.

"One of yours and Aang's romantic escapades I'm assuming?" She blushed lightly and laughed, the memory flittering in her stomach and chest.

"Yeah," she conceded. "it was a festival in a small little part of the Earth Kingdom. We had just came from an Air temple from there and Appa needed a rest." She explained.

"I saw all the lights and festivities and we got a little hungry. The place was beautiful, the people walked without fear. It was nice to see and the dancing was intense." She giggled at the memory, recalling how wide her smile was during that time. The entrancement of the lights around her, the vibrations of music coursing through her body 'as she moved with the celebrating people. Even in the massive throng of the crowd, Katara felt as though it was only the two of them in the whole world. His hand tightly around hers as they wandered the festival, her heart for the first time in a long time no longer heavy.

"Sounds like fun." He said. Zuko grew puzzled at the way her smile softened. As if someone was there weighing down her lips.

"Yeah, it was."

"Katara?" She looked up at him. "Are you alright?" She forced her smile wide once more as she nodded.

"Yeah, something was just on my mind, that's all."

~~

"I don't dance" Zuko defiantly said. She cocked a teasing brow as he crossed his arms. "And honestly neither does Mai."

"Wow," Katara sighed. "Who knew that the fearless Fire Lord, winner of the famed Agni Kai that revolutionized the Fire Nation and the world as we know it, is afraid of a couple dance moves?" She teased. He looked at her unamused as she jutted her hip out to the side crossing her arms.

"I mean; you won't even learn them. Who knows, maybe Mai won't dance with you cause you're just a bad dancer." He pouted lightly.

"Mother said I was a good dancer."

"Then show me, dear Fire Lord." She extended a hand towards him, her grin only growing as he scowled and took her hand as she mischievously giggled.

"I can't believe that worked."

"Neither can I." He admitted, a crack of a smile coming through his light sneer. She grinned, spotting the very cracks in his face pleased to see his face soften. "Alright, show me." Slowly, she moved with him, step by step, going into detail of how to transition into each step with her, where to lead and how to move. After a couple minutes of going through the motions, she grinned as the movements became smoother with them both.

"Well now, look at you~" She giggled. A smile snuck onto the young ruler's face as they went through the dance over and over again, a mixture of laughter and light jabbing came over them as they both became more familiar with the movements and danced with ease. A joyous laugh overwhelmed him, one that brought Katara's eyes to widen. Encouraged, the two moved through multiple dances that Katara remembered through her travels with Aang and a few from the Water Tribes. Zuko learned each one with vigor and eagerness, the two of them finally falling to the floor together, their legs screaming of fatigue and the rush of bliss flooding their bodies. He looked towards one of the windows, seeing the light of the sun had begun to fade now, much to his surprise.

"That was fun." Zuko panted a little. "I hadn't had this much fun...in a very long time." Katara smiled tiredly, looking over at him, her chest heaving as well.

"Hopefully Mai will have fun with it too." She said. Katara watched as Zuko's smile faltered a little as he continued to catch his breath his eyes lingering on the waterbender before him.

"Yeah, hopefully."

~~

"Is all of this really necessary?" Zuko asked unamused. Katara grinned and nodded motioning for him to walk again. Zuko groaned and walked back to the place where she designated him to start off. As he turned to look at her again, the Fire Lord sucked a breath through his teeth.

"I mean; I couldn't even get her to dance with me once when we tried." He griped at the thought looking down. She had refused to engage with the dancing all around them, the energy reaching everyone but her it seemed as she rejected his extended hand as he pulled her to engage. He sighed watching her leave noting her snide commentary about returning to her when he has better ideas of company. Without a care, the servants and other nobles continued to dance and sway to the music around them, the talent continuing to blare without a hint of worry, as the others cheered and enjoyed the fun.

Once the night he prepared for so meticulously came to an end, he came to an empty bed, void of his girlfriend, where she usually awaits him. Instead, he spent many days and nights alone without a word from her.

Only after a couple days with only a half-hearted apology and crossed arms did she return, but only after Zuko opened his arms to her again, which she was quick to take while his own heart began to hesitate. She looked up at him, enchanting him with a soft smile that was only just for him, that he loved to see on her face. One that he thought he could keep on her face always.

What a foolish idea that was. He thought bitterly to himself.

"Women love a confident man." She said pulling Zuko out of his thoughts. "I'm sure Mai wants to feel like this is a decision you know will be good. Everyone wants to feel loved, everyone wants to be wanted, especially when it comes to something like this. You want to look completely sure, and that even comes down to the walk." Zuko rolled his eyes making the waterbender scoff.

"Didn't you say you wanted a woman's perspective?" She asked with a cock of her hips.

"I did." He admitted. "But I didn't think it was going to be to be this silly."

"It's not silly." She protested, "this is how we're going to get her to say yes."

"By mastering...walking?"

"You want to look like you know this will be great for the rest of your lives. You need to show her that, and show her how you intend to make that happen for her." Zuko released a small sigh at that, not seeing the curious look in his friend's eyes.

"And you're telling me, you can see all of that in a walk?" Katara smiled with a soft nod.

"It all starts in the walk. Knowing you love her, knowing this will be a next chapter in your lives and how you'll make sure it can be a great one." Incredulously, he tilted his head at her, noticing the delight in her eyes and fanciful smile. "Once you feel it in your heart, your body will follow." He rose a brow at her, recalling all the nervousness he had felt around Mai since the official courting had begun. According to his dear friend, she had noticed the lack of confidence in his steps the moment they started practicing this silly little exercise.

"If you say so." Once again, Zuko braced himself taking a deep breath and looked over at her, taking the first step. His eyes locked on hers, a mixture of determination and softness in his eyes that pulled Katara in. As he continued to stare her down, a feeling of serenity washed over him as he began his first steps. Just as he approached her, Katara had noticed how much he towered over her. The Fire Lord looked down at her, a gentle brushing back of her hair made her follow his hand lightly, keeping her entranced eyes on him as her heart fluttered from the tenderness of his touch.

"M-Mai," he began with a lick of his lips. Katara's heart dropped for a moment on hearing her name as she quickly straightened her face. "We've been together for multiple years. And each day has come with new lessons. Getting to know you again after everything that's happened in the war had been an adventure in itself and one I will always treasure." Katara watched as he froze on his words, seeds of doubt weighing on his brow. After a long pause, she gave his hand an encouraging squeeze and a soft smile.

"No, continue." She said. "It's coming from the heart, right?" He looked down at her, giving a small curt nod as a gentle heat showing in his cheeks as he inhaled softly. He squeezed her hand, keeping his gaze locked on hers, the words beginning to come naturally to him.

"I want to continue going through life with you. Together, where we can learn about each other over the years and grow stronger. Please do me the honor of being your husband." Katara smiled up at him her heart pounding against her chest. He looked at her expectantly, a glint of nerves shimmering in the amber of his eyes.

"She'd be crazy to say no." She reassured him hiding the twinge of disappointment in her voice. Zuko let out a hesitant laugh as the two of them chuckled among themselves, a strange, sickening feeling of uncertainty in the pit of both of their stomachs.

~~

The overwhelming sounds of the massive attending echoed through the sky as music paraded through their feet, eager and excited dancing moved through many of the partygoers, as loud and boisterous conversations and laughter joined in the chaotic yet peaceful noise. It was a time that had seen the end of war, had begun to watch the world heal from the violence of over a hundred years. People had once again joined hands instead of closed their fists preparing for a fight. Instead of intrigue and wonderment that the Fire Lord had hoped would come out of his girlfriend, Mai had scoffed and pushed herself back as far as she could in the seat beside him, as they overlooked the party. Zuko kept casting a glance over to her, the question burning in the back of his mind. He had known there was immense pressure to bring this courting to light to the nation and the world; a call to normalcy as many of the councilmembers had harassed Zuko about. Still, the young Firelord knew that he had a duty to his people and needed to bring peace to the minds of the people.

But will it bring peace to me as well, and her? He thought to himself. Once again, Mai scoffed and rose up from her seat, catching her boyfriend's attention as he grabbed her by the wrist.

"Hey," she sighed as she kept her eyes off of him. "What's going on with you, lately?" He asked. She kept her eyes off of him, her gaze more determined to go where she was headed.

"I want to show you the world, Mai." Despite not seeing her eyes, Zuko knew they rolled as she let out a haughty exhale.

"We've talked about this before, I want you to let me in. I want this to work, Mai. I really do." Thankful for the barrier of music and jovial noise below them, Mai snatched her hand away from him as she turned around to face him.

"Zuko, I don't want any of this," she finally spoke, her tone sharp and cold. "This stupid courtship thing. This...spectacle of all these people before us. What good does it even serve us?" She asked. The Fire Lord had been silenced as he stammered to edge out a word only to close it again.

"The stupid little dances that you've been trying to get me to learn, these stupid little dates we have to walk to instead of a simple palanquin ride; not to mention, you don't even have one at my door when I'm supposed to come see you." She stopped for a moment, letting her words sink in as he continued to stare at her astonished.

"You never asked me once, what I wanted. You just decided. And you kept on deciding. It's annoying." She bit. "I'm not your nation, you don't get to decide for me. I'm not going to sit back and act all happy that you did this for me when I just want things to go back to the way we were." His face softened as he stood before her taking her hand again.

"Mai, I'm sorry." He said loud enough for them and only them to hear. "I'm sorry I made you feel like that."

"You're more than right, I should've asked you what you wanted. I am truly sorry for that." She took her gaze off him bitterly taking her hands from him once more. This time, Zuko no longer reached for them again. Instead he kept his hands by his sides.

"I just want the Zuko I know back." She said taking a grip of her own arms. "The old Zuko. The one I loved." The Fire Lord breathed out a long sigh feeling the sting of her words.

"I'm sorry, Mai." He said once again. "That Zuko is long gone."

"I know." With that, she turned her back on him and left without another word. He watched her, a selfish part of him hoping she'd look back, hesitate, but she kept gaining her distance with ease. He ran his hand down his face as she left his line of sight, a swirl of guilt and relief within him as he sat back down. Zuko watched as people of all nations had eagerly come together, something the young ruler had wondered if it was more commonplace to be like this before the war. The groan of the sky bison pierced through the air as he watched the Avatar and large beast land, garnering much excitement as many rushed up to see him. Zuko's face lit up upon seeing his friend arrive.

"Aang!" He shouted excitedly.

"Aang?" Her heart stopped for a brief moment, as she looked over the nomad, seeing how he drank in the attention, speaking to people as he traversed through the enthusiastic crowd that had parted and molded around him. Multiple questions were thrown in his face, declarations of gratitude and love were abundant and Katara felt as though she had never left once again. Despite everyone being focused on the Airbender, she knew his eyes were on her, the moment they saw each other again. He walked over to her with a bright smile, his arms extended out to her as she felt him pull her in. She rested her head on his chest, remembering how much she enjoyed the fact he had grown taller than her over the few years. All feelings of joy she once held, had quickly faded, much to her horror, as she heard the quickening of his heartbeat. He leaned his head on top of hers.

"I missed you." He confessed.

~~

Katara gave her once beloved an uneasy grin; one she knew that he had no clue was no longer genuine. In his absence she had been granted the room for self-reflection, realizing just how much she had been going through the motions of their relationship, realizing how much she had craved for genuine love and adoration from her partner. He smiled down at her, never the wiser to the lack of pure joy in her face. She had masked her reactions for him for so long, how could he tell the difference? His smile was bright and loving, as it normally was.

"So I did a lot of thinking, sweetie." Sweetie. The word that was once so dear at a time now churned at her stomach as he continued. "I was wrong to propose the way I did." He confessed, much to the master waterbender's surprise.

"Oh..." She said with genuine surprise. "How did you figure that?" She dared herself to ask. His hand moved up her arm, stopping at her cheek to give it a slow caress. Katara felt all eyes on her as she allowed the back of his hand to graze her skin, a mix of jealousy and awe consumed the crowd as Katara felt her chest tighten. She could hear it in her head already. The same laments every person seemed to believe about them; how lucky she was to have the Avatar's eyes on her. The overwhelming jealousy and vying attention of so many women coming after her boyfriend as they continued their travels revived in her mind much to her dismay. How constant the envy ate at her without her boyfriend noticing the distress. She was all too familiarized to the feelings towards her.

But in that moment, Katara wanted nothing more than to trade places with any woman in the crowd who watched them.

"Well, I wasn't thinking about you and what you might want." He began pulling her attention back onto him. "And that wasn't fair of me. I'm sorry for that, Katara." Shock halted her voice for a moment as she watched him.

"Um, thank you, Aang. I accept your apology." His grin widened in relief as he picked her up and spun her around, his eyes glimmering against the light of the festival. She heard a chorus of sweet cooing from the sight of them both. As he slowly placed her down, he twirled her once more holding her from behind, resting his head on her shoulder. Heat rose to her cheeks as he kissed her cheek quickly.

"Aang I­—" She froze feeling the coldness of another pendant against the heat of her skin. Audible gasps overwhelmed the crowd as all watched in silence. Dread chilled her blood as she looked down instinctively clasping onto her mother's necklace just as she felt the back of it loosen. He had done it again.

"I fixed the pendant." He whispered in her ear before giving her another kiss to the temple.

"I ventured all the way to the North while you've been here, just to make sure I got it right this time." Katara didn't speak, her wide blue eyes on the plethora of eyes locked onto her. She felt the power of her heart pumping her blood and heard how hard it worked. She felt the breath of each exhale against her skin and every inch of his body on hers. The air around her felt thin as if he himself was taking it away from her and only her. Suffocation gripped at her neck, daring not to look at the man she used to love so dearly. She gripped the pendant of her mother's necklace tightly, squeezing her eyes shut as burning tears flowed out of them.

Amused, adoring chuckles sounded from some of the people around them, pleased at the grand gesture.

They can have it. She thought bitterly, the burning of her mother's necklace in the palm of her hand. She had grown so attached to what final thing carried from the very woman who was her reason of living. And he was so quick to release it for her. How many times had she reiterated how important her necklace was to her? How many times had she held such reverence for a piece of the woman she lost just for it to be cast aside for the sake of something new? Then again, this wasn't the first time he had not paid attention to the things she wanted or needed. How many times had her desires been ignored for the sake of his comfort? Memories rushed in left and right in her head of the times he imposed what he wanted, what he believed to be right over her voice and how long she had endured it for the sake of love. Frustration boiled in her as she tightened her fists waiting for him to speak once again.

"Katara," his voice was so sickeningly sweet, "you're my forever girl. I knew this from the moment I woke up from the iceberg and saw your gorgeous face in the snow. Please do me the honor of being my wife." Air seemed scarce as she heard the squeals of excitement and cheers for them. Katara took a heavy breath looking up as she silently asked her mother for strength. Horror took her breath as she felt Aang push the necklace against her neck working to fasten it even without an answer. She whipped around towards him, displaying the horror in her eyes. Aang looked back at her his own shock displayed on his face.

"Katara...?" She mouthed words, finding her throat was clogged. Slowly she touched her own neck with the hand onto holding her mother's necklace, her heart racing. She watched his eyes dart around to the entranced and murmuring crowd, a slight embarrassed smile crawling on his lips as he looked back to her. Just as he began to reach out for her again, her body moved before she thought about what she was doing. The people around them gasped again, uncertainy and waves of emotions overcame them. Her legs carried her away from him, pushing through the crowd, her head down as she shoved through.

"Katara!" She pushed his cries out of his head as the waves of mummers and mixture of astonishment surrounded her. Still, Katara continued to run, not thinking of where she was headed, just working on her desire to no longer hear the festival. As the sounds of the party faded, and her legs began to ache, she stopped and opened her eyes to see she had rushed inside a courtyard, untouched by the festivities. She walked towards a small bridge that had loomed over a small but clear pond, hearing the distant babbling of a stream nearby. All was quiet around her as she peered over the bridge seeing her own disheartened reflection. Tears flowed from her eyes freely, watching herself break down in front of no one but herself. She leaned forward clutching her won arms in comfort, something she had known she was more than accustomed to doing since she had been traveling with Aang. She hated that this had become a habit, that she had no one to fall on when she was distressed like this. She hated that when she returns into the world, they will hate her for turning down the Avatar. She hated herself for emotions she couldn't describe, she hated herself for running.

She hated that even in her pain, she had never felt more free.

She hated everything about herself in that moment, as heart wrenching, confused and pained weeps bubbled from her throat.

~~

Overwhelming murmurs of the crowd were quick to fade as Zuko followed the hastened footsteps of his dear friend. Desperately her hair swayed back and forth as she sought to distance herself more and more with each frantic step. Once he found her in solitude of the courtyard, hearing the brokenhearted sobs of his dear friend, he jogged up to her taking a gentle grasp of her arm. He hated hearing her startled gasp as fear was quickly replaced with sorrow, her gaze shooting straight to the floor beneath them.

"Zuko, please..." She weakly said, not wanting to look up at him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his grip tightening on her. "You're starting to look like you're going to pass out on me." Emotions welled over her, the air thinning around her as she forced in a large inhale, the burning of the air in her lungs as she sobbed. Despite his surprise, Zuko slowly moved to wrap his arms around her, remaining silent, listening to her heartbroken cries.

"I don't want to do it." She confessed. "I don't want to marry Aang!" His hand moved to the silk of her hair as she continued to cry, burying herself into his chest, his own heart sinking from her sorrow.

"I can't...Zuko I just can't."

"Okay..." Was all he could say working to soothe her. "Okay, Katara, just breathe." Breathing had never truly been so hard as she worked to pull air into her body. Sympathy ruled over his features as he watched her, his own sorrow free to be seen. She sighed sadly, starting to relax from the steady slow strokes of his hand in her hair. She leaned towards the touch enjoying the feeling.

"I'm sorry," She said after a moment, "this was about you and your engagement to Mai." He breathed out a scoff faster than he could catch it surprising Katara.

"No matter what we do, no matter what I say or promise, I don't think she's going to be my Fire Lady." He admitted. "Actually she made it clear earlier." He amended after a small pause.

"It would've been nice, but...I'm not going to force her into a role she doesn't want to take. It would just lead to a life of misery for the both of us." Slowly, Katara lifted a hand towards his face, fighting back a small laugh as she was reminded of how tall he had gotten as time passed. It had seemed so long ago since they were younger, barely able to defeat Azula as they battled for the throne. Her touch was soft against his skin, her fingers freely touching his scared eye, a gentle fluttering in her chest as she watched him lean into her touch.

"It's okay to be sad about it, Zuko." She reminded him. A sorrowful chuckle leapt out of him as he relaxed into her palm.

"Yeah..." Quietly, she sniffled as he moved back from her the two leaned against the railing upon the bridge over the pond of the courtyard, the air slowly running cool as the sun had begun to set. Thoughts of the festivities were long gone as they enjoyed the newfound tranquility of being in each other's presence.

"So..." Zuko began breaking the silence, "you don't want to marry Aang." Katara's brows furrowed at the thought.

"No." She replied. "Being here, showed me...that marriage—" she stopped for a moment, thinking pensively.

"—Being married to him is not what I want."

"Then," Zuko paused for a moment, working the nerve to continue, "what is it that you want?" Katara sighed and leaned against the railing, allowing the peace of the gentle flow of the water below them to be heard.

"Honestly?" He nodded. "I really don't know." She confessed.
"I just know it wasn't him." He watched her in silence, an unsure but sympathetic hand encroached on her back.

"That's okay." He said. "When you were helping me all this time with Mai, I realized how much I really didn't want this either."

"Really?" Meekly he nodded.

"Maybe in another time, when I was another person. The person she wanted, the old Zuko. If I was that man again, it would've been a good idea." He said. "But over the course of time, we've become two completely different people. And who we are now, is not compatible." Katara moved closer to him, enjoying the warmth of him. Her hand was soft ontop of his, the feeling more than comfortable for the both of them.

"If it's any consolation, I like the person you've become." She offered. He chuckled softly.

"Me too." The two of them enjoyed the silence of each other, the festivities in the distance now dying down behind them. Instinctively, Katara leaned against his body, much to the surprise of the Fire Lord. Hesitantly, he pulled her closer, enveloping her into him. She hated how it made her heart flutter, she hated that she was getting so warm so quick just from a gesture she's more than used to with Aang.

She hated how it felt so different.

How he felt so different.

Katara still stayed in his arms, feeling the strength of his heartbeat pumping his blood. He had become stronger over the years, she noticed, remembering he had his fair share of muscles even when they were younger. She chased away those thoughts with a quick shake of her head alerting the man over her.

"Oh, sorry I—" he pulled back much to her chagrin.

"No, no. It wasn't that...I just..." she trailed off and held her arm, feeling the bitter absence of his warmth. "...Just thinking about everything that's happened."

"Right." Zuko eyed her arm spotting the gentle glimmer of the pendant under the low light. Slowly, he stepped forward and gracefully took her necklace.

"May I?" He asked. "It doesn't exactly feel like you without it." She gave him a small playful smile that matched his as she turned around for him. She watched as the necklace came across her vision, almost shocked at the sense of calm that washed over her as Zuko moved to fasten the necklace. She moved her hair for him, feeling the familiar touch of the necklace against her skin again.

"There." Curiously, Katara turned around to Zuko again, the gentle smile on his face and the look in his eyes flittering with the low light around them. "Much better."

"Yeah," she agreed, still watching him. "I'm feeling better already." His smile dropped lightly, keeping the gaze in her eyes as the two of them moved ever closer to each other. Silence enveloped them once again, but nothing else needed to be said. His hand moved to her face, careful with her cheek as if he was made of pure porcelain. She, never leaving his eyes, leaned into his touch, enjoying the chill of his thumb brushing over her cheek. She watched as he leaned in for a moment, her own eyes fluttering shut as she met him halfway, the chill of the outside and everything else in the moment long forgotten.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 4.1K 70
[completed+old] black female reader x izuku midoriya/villain deku oneshots/headcannons i dont own mha i dont own atla or lok {swearing warning} {lowe...
442 7 7
Just some stuff about your dumb goofball and maybe some of the others too.
79.4K 1.7K 24
hello everyone! I notice there aren't many female love stories with toph. so I wanted to make one or maybe more teehee. yes! there will be smut...bu...
3.6K 36 6
Kataang smut but maybe some other stuff! This is my collection of one shots and I'll be adding more :) Date Night in the Fire Palace is a one shot st...