Ghostbusters (Male Reader Ins...

By Fredbot

Y/N L/N is a down on his luck college student. Looking for a place to belong, his luck turns around when he j... More

𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒
1.2 Fixer Upper
1.3 We Got One!
1.4 He Slimed Me
1.5 Cleaning Up the Town
1.6 On the Job Training
1.7 Out of Business
1.8 Mass Hysteria
1.9 Gozer the Traveler
1.10 Marshmallow Man
𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐈𝐈
2.1 Five Years Later
2.2 Friends Over Coffee
2.3 Day in Court
2.4 Back in Business
2.5 Christmas Creeps
2.6 Vigo 101
2.7 River of Slime
2.8 Scaring the Straights
2.9 Tenth Level of Hell
2.10 Lady Liberty
2.11 Countdown to Vigo
𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒: 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄
3.1 Dirt Farmers
3.2 Egon's Last Stand
3.3 The Other Side
3.4 Down the Mine Shaft
3.5 Legacy
3.6 The Band's Back Together
3.7 The Return
3.8 Home Again
𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒: 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐙𝐄𝐍 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄
Announcement

1.1 Tough Luck Kid

1.7K 38 50
By Fredbot

Y/N L/N sat in his professor's office. He knew this was not going to be a fun talk. While everyone else did good on their research essays, he was called in for "topical reasons" as they put in. In truth, he thought he was on to something big. If only his professors would understand. 

Professor: Well Mr. L/N, I assume you know why I wanted to speak with you.

Y/N: I can take a wild guess.

Professor: It's about your essay. I am concerned about the topic you chose. 

He read the title of the paper held in front of him.

Professor: "The Theoretical Connection Between Electrically Induced Currents and Spirit Photography."

He continued to read snippets from the essay.

Professor: "It's plausible to assume that spirits conduct a negative form of energy, which can then be used to form a physical image using a positively charged current."

Y/N: Sir, if you'll just let me explain...

Professor: This university does not condone the works of mad parapsychologists or any pseudoscience as a valuable form of research. We do not allow ghost stories told by the campfire as scientific fact.

Y/N let out a sigh. The 21 year old knew this content would get him into trouble, but he just couldn't help himself. There was something fascinating about the whole subject of the paranormal.

Professor: You need to take this seriously. Think about your future. Think about what you want to do and what drives you. 

In all honesty, Y/N didn't have anything that drove him. He wasn't sure what to make of his life. He decided to attend Colombia because he was excited about the prospect of being in New York. The city lights and college atmosphere was exactly what he needed to get away from his dull, boring home life. However, when it came to his studies, he wasn't sure what he wanted to do. He decided to major in electrical engineering as well as minor in marketing. With something like that, he was sure he could find a stable job in the city. However in terms of content, nothing truly thrilled him. 

That was until two months ago, when he attended a lecture by Dr. Stantz and Dr. Spengler. In truth, he always found Dr. Stantz to be a funny man. He always seemed like a child stuck in a grown man's body. It was fun seeing him bounce across the stage and try to hold onto the podium as he excitedly pointed to what was on the screen. He was goofy, but in a fun way.

However, what really got Y/N's attention was what he was presenting. Dr. Stantz was giving a presentation on the paranormal and the prospect of spirts and ghouls being more than mere myths. He explained how he, Dr. Spengler, and Dr. Venkman had been investigating paranormal and psychokinetic disturbances across the tristate area over the past two years. The slideshow presented photographs of livestock supposedly slain by a local demon, structural damage done to a small house by an unknown and unseen force, as well as a bent spoon. After the presentation, Y/N became fascinated with the paranormal. He would constantly read books about possible encounters and legends. He wondered if there was a way to not only see a ghost, but catch it on film. The idea that ghosts were real and walked among the living was just too thrilling to pass up.

That led to today, where Y/N decided to write an essay on spirit photography. He honestly thought his ideas had potential. If ghosts were truly made of negative ions, then a positive charge of ions or even just an electrical current could make them visible to the naked eye. Plus, the potential study behind spirits and the scientific implication of their existence was incredible to think about. His professor didn't think so though.

Professor: I'm sorry, but if you can't produce any reason to the contrary, I'm afraid I'm going to have to flunk you. 

Y/N: But sir, I...

Professor: You will have to retake my class next semester. I'm sorry. Maybe next time you can study something a bit more...  grounded.

Y/N walked out of the classroom glumly. He really didn't mind retaking the class. What bothered him was that no one took his ideas seriously. The pig headed, stubborn professors of this institute wouldn't stop for one moment to think if the imaginary could be real.

Y/N: (muttering to himself) They said Galileo's predictions were outrageous, didn't they? 

As Y/N was walking down the halls, he noticed Dr. Stantz, Dr. Spengler, and Dr. Venkman. Stantz was talking excitedly with his two comrades. They appeared to be discussing one of their latest ghost encounters. 

Stantz: Think of the possibilities this could mean to academia. If Spengler's right and we can actually entrap a ghost, we could really break the whole scientific community! We'd win the Nobel Prize! Think of it. New medicines, new technology, new understandings of the afterlife. The possibilities are limitless...

He seemed to trail off as he entered their lab. Y/N wondered what they were talking about and wanted to discuss with them his ideas. However, he saw people moving equipment out of their office. He stood behind the door with his back to the wall, trying to listen to their conversation. Dean Yaeger was in the room, and he didn't sound happy. 

Dean Yaeger: This university will no longer continue any funding of any kind for your group's activities.

Venkman: But the kids love us.

Dean Yaeger: Dr. Venkman, we believe that the purpose of science is to serve mankind. You, however, seem to regard science as some kind of 'dodge' or 'hustle.' Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable. You are a poor scientist Dr. Venkman.

Y/N cocked his head in agreement with the dean. Dr. Venkman did always seem odd and unorthodox to the young man. He once saw him try to see if people could guess what a women was wearing while blindfolded. Apparently, he said he was studying some kind of mental telepathy. Honestly, Y/N thought the doctor would appear better suited for a summer camp or one of those late night tv skits. 

Dean Yaeger: You have no place in this department, or in this university. 

The three men exited the room, contemplating what to do next. Y/N was about to leave when the door flung open and hit him in the nose. He let out a yell of pain. He looked up to see the dean looking at him.

Dean Yaeger: You're supposed to be in class, mister. Get off before I decide to hurt something worse then your nose.

Y/N: Does that include my pride, sir?

The dean simply looked at him and scoffed as he walked away.

Y/N walked out of the library. He was trying to see if he could find Dr. Stantz again. Just as he was walking out of the door, he noticed Stantz talking with Dr. Venkman. The two were discussing the possibility of starting a business with the research they had.

Venkman: Call it faith, call it luck, call it karma. I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe that we were destined to get thrown out of this dump.

Stantz: For what purpose?

Venkman: To go into business for ourselves.

Stantz took a swig of Venkman's beer before replying.

Stantz: This ectocontainment system Spengler and I have in mind is going to cost a load of bread to capitalize. Where are we going to get the money?

Venkman: I don't know. I don't know. 

Y/N decided to walk up to the two. 

Y/N: Excuse me. Dr. Stantz, Dr. Venkman, I was hoping I could talk with you about your ideas.

Venkman: Beat it kid. We don't need an undergrad telling us how to make it big when you can hardly afford a Big Mac.

Stantz: Hang on, I remember you. You were asking about my parapsychology lessons and presentation on ethereal constructs.

He held out his hand to the boy. Y/N quickly shook it.

Y/N: Yes sir. I actually based my thesis on your work as well as the prospect of spirit photography.

Venkman: How'd that go for you?

Y/N: Not well. They're making me retake the course next semester actually. Appears they don't believe in these types of concepts. 

Venkman: Tough luck kid. 

Y/N: But, I couldn't help but overhear your idea for a potential business based around the subject. In all honesty, I'm quite intrigued by the concept.

Stantz: Well, we are actually thinking of something much bigger. We hypothesize that we could use a steady, proton based system to encapsulate and hold onto a spiritual entity indefinitely.

Y/N: But to do that, you'd need an absurd amount of energy. That would involve tech that may utilize a nuclear reactor or an electronic component that would require a million Volts just to hold onto it.

Stantz: Well, it's just a theory.

Y/N: If you don't mind, I want to try and help you with this project. I can be of useful service to you. The idea of ensnaring and proving the existence of ghosts is fascinating in it of itself. 

Stantz: What are you currently studying kid?

Y/N: I'm majoring in electrical engineering with a minor in marketing.

Stantz: That could help us in this. We need someone with a business mindset, and we'll need all the help with our equipment. 

Venkman: Oh come on, Ray. You can't seriously be considering this.

Stantz: Do you have any knowledge on the paranormal?

Y/N: I've studied both A History of Ghosts as well as Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Stantz looked at the kid, impressed by both his technical know how as well as his commitment. In truth, they needed all the help they could get. Someone with engineering knowledge as well as a general understanding of the spirit realm could certainly be of use. 

Venkman: Ray, I know what you're thinking. We don't need him. We will be fine on our own. Besides, I don't want a needy tike constantly asking questions.

Y/N: I'll work for just under minimum wage. 

Peter thought for a moment before turning to Y/N.

Venkman: Alright kid. You're in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 284 25
Can the Ghostbusters get through this brand new danger with their brand new team mate? *Note* I do not own the Ghostbusters beside the charterers not...
1.2M 17.5K 165
𝙁𝙞𝙣𝙣 𝙒𝙤𝙡𝙛𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙙. 𝙍𝙞𝙘𝙝𝙞𝙚 𝙏𝙤𝙯𝙞𝙚𝙧. 𝘽𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙨 𝙋𝙖𝙫𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙤𝙫𝙨𝙠𝙮. 𝙏𝙮𝙡𝙚𝙧. 𝙈𝙞𝙡𝙚𝙨 𝙁𝙖𝙞𝙧𝙘𝙝𝙞𝙡𝙙. 𝙏𝙧𝙚𝙫𝙤𝙧. Ima...
663 1 13
If you mentioned the Ghostbusters to anyone in the year 2008, nearly no one could give information about them. They were forgotten by almost everyone...
19.2K 326 62
Thought the adventurers with the Ghostbusters was over? Wrong! Join them once again in this book filled with the tales of the Real Ghostbusters. *Not...