Seducing the Careers

By track-hoe

What happens when a district 3 drop dead gorgeous girl, who also happens to have a genius IQ, is reaped for t... More

Closer to Death
Parade
Allianced
Evaluation
High Score
Interview
Chaos
Killing
Glimmer
Rue
Clove
Winner
Game Highlights
Awake
I Don't Want to Forget
Part 2
Return
Nightmare
Snow
Priorities
Tour
Palace Party
Newbie
I'm Not Clove
Tell Me a Secret
Friends
Bonding
Fight
Swimming
District 7
Mom
Reaping
Training
Goldmine
Deja Vu
Electra

Heart to Heart

1.4K 36 0
By track-hoe

Lumen runs into the room and sees me and Clove. He scoffs. "Toni, I think you're overreacting" he turns to Clove. "She's overreacting" he says to her.

"I don't know. She seems pretty shaken up to me" Clove responds, twirling her knife in her hand, not taking her eyes off him.

"Go to bed, Three" she says, threateningly.

He puts his hands up in mock defense and turns to leave.

"Oh. And you're out of the alliance" she says to him.

He turns back around. "What did you say to me?" he asks, trying to seem intimidating.

But no one is more intimidating than Clove. "I said, 'Go to bed, Three'" she repeats.

He huffs and leaves the room.

Once he's out of earshot, I talk to her.

"Clove, thank you so much. It's just that he—" I try to explain what happened but tears keep coming out.

Damnit why do I have to be so weak in front of her.

She seems to not know how to deal with me.

Her face appears conflicted, but she speaks up.

"Hey, it's none of my business" she says, implying that I didn't have to tell her.

"So why are you down here so late?" I ask, wiping my face dry.

"Just couldn't sleep, I guess" she said, hesitant to talk to me.

"What, are you too excited?" I joke.

She scoffs. "Careers aren't all monsters, you know. I get nervous the same as you" she says.

I smile in response.

She rolls her eyes. "So, Three. Are you just gonna stand there, or are you gonna show me what you learned today?" she asks, handing me a knife.

"Are we even allowed to be here this late?" I ask. Clove just shrugs.

I go up to the targets and do exactly what she taught me earlier.

She scoffs. "You're crazy, Toni. You know it took me years to learn how to do that" she says.

"Right now I'm just picturing that asshole's face on all the targets" I joke, with a hint of sincerity.

She chuckles. "Hey, if I ever get him in that arena, I'll save you the kill" she says.

"Thanks?" I say, reminded of the situation we were in.

After we do some knife drills, we sneak into the rope section and I show her a few of the knots I learned earlier.

"It seems I've misjudged you, three. You're more useful than the lot of district one" she jokes, giving me a fist bump.

"Woah, what's up with that?" she asks, pointing to my hand.

"Oh this? It's just a scar. Guess I learned the hard way not to mess with too much electricity" I laugh.

"Oh good, I thought it was rope burn from tying that rope" she responds, with a sense of relief.

I scoff. "Can't injure me that easily, Clove" I say.

"You got any?" I ask her.

"Uh yeah, just a few knife scars here and there" she says, lifting up her shirt to reveal a huge scar on the side of her torso.

"Beat that, Hart" she challenges jokingly.

"Pretty sick, but I think I've got you beat" I say, taking my shirt off so she could see my back.

"Holy shit. How much electricity did you have to mess with for that?" she asks.

"It wasn't that. I got tased a bunch. And whipped, actually. Tried to cover it with the tattoo but it didn't really hide much" I say, chuckling.

"Oh my god. What happened?" Clove asks.

"I attacked a few peacekeepers when my brother was reaped" I say. She nods.

"It's a pretty tattoo" she says, admiring it.

It was a set of angel wings with Ben's name in the middle. Along with the date that he died.

"Don't be shy. You can touch it" I smirk, seeing her interest.

She breaths out a chuckle and slowly goes to touch my back, and it surprises me how cold her fingers are.

"Sorry" she whispers.

"Don't worry it doesn't hurt anymore. Your hands are just cold" I chuckle.

"That's him then, I guess. Benjamin?" she asks.

I hum in an affirmative response. "My twin brother and closest friend. You have one of those?" I ask, turning around and going to put my shirt back on.

"Yeah. I got a little sister. She's 13. We've had each other's backs since we were little" she responds.

I breathe out a laugh. "Nice to see the rich and mighty are just like us" I tease, making her laugh.

It was a nice sound to hear.

"But in all seriousness, Toni, I didn't know they did that. In the other districts" she says.

"What, the career districts don't have public lashings?" I joke.

"Public?!" her eyes widen.

"Oh yeah. Stripped down and everything. I bet you wish you were there, Kentwell" I wink.

She blushes and punches me on the shoulder. "That is seriously messed up" she says, making me roll my eyes.

"So, do you think we should go back to our rooms now?" she asks.

I think a little. "You can go but I might just hang out here for a bit. 'Cause what if he's back in my room or something" I say, remembering what happened.

"Right" Clove remembers. "God, what a dick" she exclaims.

"Tell you what. Let's go up to the rooftop balcony. I was up there a few hours ago and it's nice. Peaceful" she says, leading me to an elevator.

While the elevator goes up, I try to wipe my dried tear stains from my face.

She casually looks at my face. "You missed a spot" she says.

I wipe my face again.

"Jesus, girl" she chuckles. She licks her thumb and brushes the remaining mark off of my face.

While her hand caresses my face, I see her eyes flicker onto mine for a second. And then the door opens.

"Thanks" I say, blushing.

"Who's blushing now, Three?" she teases.

"It's only because I was claustrophobic in that elevator. And hey" I hit her lightly. "Don't you dare use that against me in the arena" I say.

"Don't worry, Toni. I know you're not actually claustrophobic and only said that to cover up the blush" she jokes, making me roll my eyes.

She leads me to the edge of the balcony.

"It is nice up here" I affirm.

We sit in silence, looking out at the edge of the balcony.

"So, you listening to them?" she asks me, after a moment of silent contemplation.

"Who?" I ask.

"Your mentors, dumbass" she clarifies, making me punch her in the arm.

"Yeah I am. I just hope they don't change me" I say.

"How would they change you?" she asks, rubbing her arm. Please, that did not hurt.

"I don't know. Turn me into something I'm not." I respond, truthfully.

"What, a dumb blonde?" she says, referring to the character I played.

I raise my eyebrows at her.

"Please, I know you're not a dumb blonde" she says, making me chuckle softly.

Clove seemed like a whole other person when it was just her at 3am.

I decided it wouldn't hurt to let this one career into my secret, seeing as she already knew.

For the next few hours, we told each other stories of our childhoods and life stories. We told each other everything. And at the end of it, I felt I knew Clove more than some people who I've known my whole life.

Then the conversation came back to the dreadful situation we were in.

"But earlier, when I said I didn't want them to turn me into something I'm not, I meant I just don't wanna be another piece in their game, you know?" I say.

"You mean you won't kill anyone? Toni you gotta—"

"No. No. I'm sure I would, just like anybody else when the time came" I say, honestly.

She nods.

"But, you know, I just keep wishing I could think of a way to show them... that they don't own me" I say, turning to her.

"You know, if I'm gonna die, I wanna still be me. Does that make any sense?" I clarify.

She pauses before saying, "Yeah".

I shake my head.

"I just can't afford to think like that" I say.

After a bit more silence, I break the ice again.

"I miss my big brother. Do you miss your little sister? The one you told me about?" I ask.

"Yeah" she responds.

"You like her?" I jokingly ask, since her response was so lackluster.

She chuckles at my question. "Yeah, I do. You'd like her too. She's perfect just like you" Clove jokes.

"Me? You're like the perfect hunger games candidate. Training since you left the womb" I say, jokingly rolling my eyes.

"Says the capitol favorite" she retorts.

I breath out a small laugh.

"You know, it sucks to know that everyone here's got some deep back story and people waiting for them to come back. Even the crazy bitches like you who volunteered" I say, earning a scoff and a playful punch on my right shoulder.

"Well you have to forget all that when you're in the arena. I know I won't care about anyone's stories. Not even yours. And you shouldn't either. she says, seriously.

"Woah, 'not even' mine" I quote what she said. "Looks like I won you over. Maybe Beetee was right about the dumb blonde thing" I say.

She just rolls her eyes and laughs, saying "shut up".

"I'm serious though, Three. Not even a sob story like yours is gonna make me lose out there" she says.

"Well I'm glad my life is a sob story to you" I laugh.

She laughs with me. "You know what I meant" she rolls her eyes. And then there is another long period of silence.

Then I must've fallen asleep because the next thing I see it Clove patting me awake.

"Hmm?" I groan, squinting because of the sunrise that was suddenly happening.

"You fell asleep" she chuckles, talking quietly.

"Did you sleep?" I asked.

"I can sleep when I'm dead" she says, shrugging.

"So you were just there watching me sleep for an hour. I don't know whether to be flattered or creeped out" I say, stifling a yawn.

She scoffs. "Try grateful. And now you know you can trust me not to kill you in your sleep in the arena" she jokes.

"Yeah sure, unless this is all part of your plan to lull me into a false sense of security"

"Toni. I wouldn't have wasted a night's sleep for one kill. But I guess we'll see in the arena." she says.

I laugh. "I wonder what it's gonna be like in there" I say, as we gaze into the sunrise.

"Yeah. I've been waiting for it my whole life" she says.

I turn to look at her. "Then why the sad face. Not all you dreamt it would be?" I ask.

She turns to meet my eyes. "Maybe I've had a change in perspective" she says, more quiet.

"I thought you said my sob story life didn't affect you. What changed? Did watching me sleep for an hour really seal the deal" I flirt, making her roll her eyes and look back at the sunrise.

"They should be starting soon. We should get back. I'm sorry I kept you up all night. But keep your mouth shut. I have an image to uphold" I exaggerate.

"As long as you keep yours shut about how nice I was to you tonight" she responds.

"Right, can't have anyone knowing you've got a heart" I chuckle.

"Can't have anyone knowing you've got a brain" she retorts.

I laugh and shake my head, turning to leave. "See you" I say, going to walk away. The games were beginning soon.

"Toni, wait" she says, grabbing my arm.

I pull my hand out of hers but turn back to her. "What? We're going in soon" I say.

"It's just. I know I'm gonna win" she begins.

I roll my eyes. "Yes Clove, I know you know you're gonna win" I mock.

"Would you shut up?" she says, putting her hand on my shoulder in annoyance.

"I was going to say that I know I'm gonna win. But if I had to bet on someone else. I'd bet on you" she says, seriously.

I suddenly realize how close our faces are. My eyes flicker down to her lips and I think to myself, 'fuck it', before leaning in and pressing my lips to hers.

I don't know if it was my need for a strong alliance, my lack of sleep, or the shit that happened yesterday with Lumen, but I was kissing Clove.

And I don't know if it was her lack of sleep, but she was kissing me back.

I pulled away from the kiss but kept my hands cupping her face, pressing my forehead to hers.

"Thanks for saying that. I know it wasn't easy for you" I say in a laugh, as my eyes began tearing up, realizing what was soon to happen to us.

I pull away. "I should be thanking you" she says.

"For what?"

"For doing what I've been too scared to do for the passed couple hours" she jokes.

"Okay, we better go now then" I say, walking to the elevator and holding the door for her.

Once we're alone in the elevator, I speak again. "And by the way, Clove, I'd bet on you too" I say.

She smiles and gives me a weak laugh. "Thanks, but you know I don't need it. And I know you don't either" she says, with a small smirk.

As we descend, I find myself wishing the elevator never got to the ground floor. Sure I was a tad bit claustrophobic. But that didn't matter if I had more time outside of that arena and with the girl next to me.

But my thoughts were interrupted by that obnoxious "DING".

We have to go in separate directions to find our mentors.

"See you soon, Three" she says.

I nod and then we separate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 82 35
"Being the sibling of a victor makes you a liability. The gamemakers will make certain that Clove has an interesting games in order to avoid the appe...
79.2K 3.4K 31
You either become brilliant, or you get killed. When Alyssa was invited to a boarding school to learn magic, she was expecting something out of a Har...
3.8K 93 24
I've never faltered in my convictions, but one fateful day, the ground shifted beneath me, and I came crashing down like a crumbling castle meeting i...