HIS PRETENSE BRIDE

By Eaglewoman20

Alexa Richardson was the true definition of tardiness. She lost her job, had an accident, and found herself i... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19

CHAPTER 8

300 32 1
By Eaglewoman20

Alexa's POV 

I open my mouth. But no words come out until Xander nudges me gently, staring at me with a concerned expression.

I nod and clear my throat, adjusting in my seat as though that would bring back the confidence I forced myself to put on when we first got here.

"Yes, sure."

The old woman grins, looking all excited and happy, making me wonder why he wants to punish the innocent woman.

She is sweet. Hospitable and gentle.

She doesn't seem to be like the one who would do anything to jeopardize his life or future. She seems like the type who would do anything to ensure he is happy.

But I know a book can not be judged by its cover.

Xander must have his reasons too.

The sound of cutlery usage jerks me back to life as they begin to eat.

Trying so hard not to look out of place, I plaster a smile on my face and begin to dig into my food.

Silence falls as we eat but my insides are in disarray, my head spinning with lots of unanswered questions.

I still can't believe I agreed to do this.

I was left with no choice but it angers me that I am showing my vulnerable side to him.

I am deeply impressed by the silence between us. This is good table manners. The maids in uniform too are professionals, coming right after we are done eating and clearing the plates noiselessly.

I sip on the red wine trying so hard to play my role well. The role of the daughter of a business mogul. 

The wine tastes lovely and I don't know when I gulp it all down until I drop the glass cup. Xander spares me a glance which makes me bite my lower lip in embarrassment.

Thankfully, his mother does not notice.

The interior of the mansion is exquisite with a mixture of ancient and modern day decorations. The dining area is spacious enough to contain more than fifty guests.

I haven't been to a home like this and this is no doubt the home of a billionaire. My guess is right. Not only does he and his Mother have connections but they are damn wealthy.

Where is his father then? 

The question suddenly pops up in my head and I snap my head towards him to see him watching intensely.

I am thinking he wants to signal to me to do something but I can't catch what he wants so I assume this was all part of the playing-along thing.

Suddenly, his hand entangles with my fingers on the dinning table making me go stiff for a moment in shock. 

I let out a deep sigh then I let myself relax, not minding his cold touch.

"I'm sure you enjoyed your meal, Alex", she utters with a smile.

I nod vigorously and smile back. "Yes, I did. Thank you for dinner."

She shifts her gaze to Xander and they begin to converse about the company which makes me feel left out and a little bit scared.

What if she questions me about my dad's company as well? What if she asks a question relating to business and I can't answer?

"Alex, when do you go back to Italy?" Her question brings me out of my reverie.

Xander and I didn't talk about me going back to the States but I guess I should just play along. There is still a lot we need to talk about, a lot we need to know about each other and a lot to tell each other to keep this real until our agreement is over.

It's just for a while and I guess once the agreement is over in three months, I am allowed to leave.

"Actually, Xander and I haven't talked about that yet", I try to sound as sophisticated as possible with a smile tugging my lips. 

Something steps on me and I almost let out a scream before realizing it is Xander.

This must be a sign. Perhaps I gave the wrong answer.

"But my schedules will determine that. Probably in a month or less", I add, avoiding eye contact with Xander.

"You should spend at least two months with me, darling", he mutters, his breath fanning my face as he brings his face closer to mine.

His hand goes around my shoulder, as he gives me a half hug, our seats dragged close to each other. With his forehead carefully placed on mine, he murmurs again. "You can't leave in a month, hun."

My heart squeezes and ripples of nervousness dart down my spine at the body contact.

"I know", I muster every courage left in me to keep my eyes open and answer him, my voice in a whisper. "But I promise to be back as soon as possible. I'm working hard towards setting up a branch here and as soon as that is done, I am all yours."

"Really?" his face beams in excitement. For a moment, I almost forget this is a show. A show for her to believe we are real and married. From his look, I almost lost myself in this fake world we have created between us.

I nod and peck his nose.

That is what couples do, right?

I can't kiss him. I can initiate anything else but not that. I am not brave enough to do such a thing.

"I love you", he says and suddenly pecks my lips, making me jerk upright.

Before I can process what just happened or even try to reply with the same word and tone, his mouth descends on mine.

My heart stills. 

My hands tremble and sweat from nowhere begins to drop from my face.

When his mouth moves on mine, I almost lost it by pushing him off. Fortunately, someone interrupts the moment and he stops as soon as he starts.

"Hey, lovebirds. Get a room, will you? We have plenty of them here", the old woman chuckles, looking pleased with what she just saw.

Our show.

I would make a good actress then if she didn't notice how stiff I was.

Deep laughter erupts from him as he pulls away slowly, ensuring our hands are still entangled.

I manage to smile too, to hide my nervousness.

"You two should have another wedding here before she goes back to Italy", she suggests, sipping on her wine and leaning backwards, staring at me. "What do you think Alex?"

Each time she throws a question my way, my heart always stops.

I want to nod but Xander's grip on my hand which becomes harder makes me stop. 

I turn to him helplessly, confused about how to reply. 

"We don't need one, Mother", he answers on my behalf, tugging pleats of hair behind my left ear.

This is when it dawns on me.

A wedding? Wait, she meant she should get married again? Does it mean she doesn't believe our fake story of being married?

Does that mean I will really be married to this jerk? No way!

"You should. Everyone needs to know you are married. Not the paparazzi selling out what they think they know about you. When you two get married in church, the press will be there and everything will be settled. Talks about her or any other girl being your side chick or girlfriend will die down the moment they know she is your wife. She also has a reputation to protect, you know?"

She is right but this is wrong.

I can't get married to him.

"Well, that is true but I am not really a fan of a church wedding", I reckon as a short laugh escapes from my mouth.

Her eyes widen. "You are not a Christian?"

My heart stops again. Did I say the wrong thing again?

Again, Xander comes to my rescue. "Not everyone wants a white wedding, Mother. Alex and I are ok with the type of wedding we had and I don't think having another is really necessary."

He drapes his hand over my shoulder again, dragging me closer to him. 

His Mother surrenders, nodding and leaning forward. A sigh of relief leaves my mouth and I lean closer in his embrace.

Just when I thought we were done with this conversation, she smiles and asks. "What about a honeymoon trip?"

"What?!" Xander and I both exclaim, his hand leaving my shoulder.

A honeymoon? What the hell?!

"Yes. You two are married. You should go on a honeymoon since she is here. That will make up for not having a wedding here and at least it will do the trick of keeping those people's mouths shut."

Xander opens his mouth to oppose the idea but she beats him to it.

"No excuses this time. I won't take it because your flight has been booked and your tickets are ready. You two are going on a honeymoon tomorrow!" she announces, making my mouth drop agape.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

382K 14.1K 47
So what you think Xavier would do now? Like me you people would have read many stories in which hero is the one to trap the woman he wants in a marri...
19.3M 587K 42
"Give me your hand." He ordered and i looked at him confused. He sighed before taking my left hand. I gasped when he suddenly put an engagement ring...
11.1K 203 28
Personal assistant, Evelyn Collins hates her billionaire boss, Benson Hawkes, who is a womanizer. His parents are fed up with his playboy lifestyle a...
554K 13.2K 32
[Completed] Highest ranking :- 29 boss 35 business 163 boss 128 hot 238 hate 234 marriage Warning : there are many grammatical errors in the novel re...