Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 12 - Ignite
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive
Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt
To You, What Hidden Behind Your Eyelids

Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)

245 7 0
By Kiriyarin_

| 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐌𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥, 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟑|

''Naoto, Naoto! Look, the first snowfall of the year! Make a wish! Quick! Make a wish! Papa said the snow fairy is listening and will make our wishes come true.''

''Yeah, he said the same thing to me when I was your age. Geez, I'm too old for believe snow-faires.''

''Bleeeh!~ You're like the boringest big brother ever! Boooring! Can't you see the snow's super cool? You're like, 'No magic fairies for me, I'm too old!' Pshhh, you're ancient, ancient I tell you!"

''Ancient? I'll show you the ancient you little rascal! Well, get ready for the legendary ancient tickle attack! Prepare to be tickled into the next century! Ancient older brother powers, activate!"

''That's the lamest name I've ever heard for a special attack. Oh!... this pebble is perfect. If I find a few more I can use them for the face.''

''I couldn't hear anything better from you, Hibiki. But I won't lie, thanks for taking me out. All these extra classes and after-school study group will be the end of me one day I swear to god...''

''Papa and Mama said they'll be late for home tonight. I heard something special happened, but dunno I was working on my ultra-cool coloring book at that time.''

Naoto Masako and his little sister Hibiki Masako. When the first snowfall of December fell, they were both at the playground next to their house. Naoto rarely had free time during this special time of year, eventually Hibiki took the opportunity to take her brother out.

"Yes, unlike some of us, they have to work. My university exam is almost here, and here I am, building a snowman with my sister. Ugh— May the god of Calculus have mercy on my soul."

''It just...'' Hibiki pouted and grabbed a little handful of snow from the ground. ''I wanted to spend time with Naoto. You know, you had almost no free time this year.''

''And that's how you'll be when you reach my age. After all, I only have one month before I start college.'' Naoto kneeled down next to his sister. ''But you're right. Since little Hibiki decided that today is my day off, I won't ruin her dearest request.''

"Nuh-uh, no deal! I'm never gonna turn into a nerd like you, Naoto! I'm gonna stay cool and awesome forever. No science fiction books or math puzzles for me, thank you very much!"

''How strange, I remember I said the same thing to mother when I was your age. Look at me now. Ah, I found another pebble. Does this fit?''

Hibiki nod. ''Yup. Fits perfectly, gimme that. Also, you're the loser here, not me. Here's the difference between us, hehe.''

''For a kid in the seventh grade, you got a pretty sharp tongue.'' Naoto got back to his feet and watched the snow falling and the already white soil under their feet. ''Are you sure you don't want to make the snowman bigger? With a little effort, I bet we could build one my size.''

''Who cares about size! The super important thing is just to make one. It could be a tiny one or a giant one, as long as it's awesome and done together! Like, it's the thought that counts, right?"

''A big one would be more magnificent, though. Hibiki, are you sure you're not cold? You're dressed quite lightly for an evening snowfall."

''Ha? Who do you think I am? I will never get co---ACHOOO!?'' Hibiki suddenly started holding her nose, her cheeks going rose. ''Curses.''

''What am I going to do with you?...Take mine, Mother definitely scold me if you get sick.''

Naoto releases a deep sigh between his lips and took off his scarf, wrapping it around Hibiki's neck. "There, now you won't catch a cold. You need to be careful, especially in this weather."

''...Arigato! Maybe, just maybe, you're not so boring after all. Naoto you big dummy! Hehe~'' Hibiki hugged the scarf in joy.

Her brother was like always this.

For Hibiki Masako, the sweetest soul in this planet belongs to her brother. 

Naoto has been Hibiki's guardian angel ever since her birth. When things got tough for her, when she was lonely during bad and scary weathers, or just when she was bored and wished to bother someone, he was there for her.

During this time, Naoto was in his final year of high school, and the national university entrance exam was just a few days away. He had dedicated an entire year to preparing for this moment, aspiring to attend university and provide his family with the chance for a comfortable life. 

''Will you miss me when I go to college? Without me, you won't have many people to bother, sis.''

"Nope, not at all~~~! I'll bother you on the phone as much as I can! Distance can't stop me! Nor us!''

Naoto just chuckled at his sister's joyful enthusiasm. "I'll be looking forward to that then. But hey, let's finish our snowman before I become buried under a pile of textbooks again."

''While you were busy nagging, your beloved and awesome sister has already finished the snowman.'' Hibiki got up and proudly showed the snow mass in her gloves to her brother. She had even made a face for it using the pebbles they found together. "Ta-da! Meet Little Naoto. Doesn't he look just like you?"

''Like me? Is he gorgeous and handsome? Only then can I accept.'' He wink.

''The words I would use would be grumpy and hyperac—Iyaaah! Nwhot mah cweeeks! Pwease!''

Naoto started tickling Hibiki again, and the two siblings burst into laughter amidst the falling snowflakes. The winter air was filled with the warmth of their bond, a bond that transcended the mundane worries of exams and responsibilities.

As they continued playing in the snow, Hibiki couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude for this moment. Despite the challenges and pressures her brother faced, she realized that these simple, joyful times with her brother were the ones they both would treasure the most.

The snow continued to fall, creating a serene and magical atmosphere around them. Naoto and Hibiki, lost in their laughter and play, embraced the enchantment of the first snowfall together. The snow fairy, if she existed, would surely be pleased to witness the genuine happiness shared between the two siblings on this special day.

After spending hours together in the snow, Naoto finally clapped his hands to call her. ''All right, snowgirl. Enough white for today. Let's hit home before it gets dark, I can make you hot chocolate.''

''With marshmellows?''

''With marshmellows.''

''Yay! But before we go... Let's put Little Naoto on a higher place. So we can find it easily when we come again.''

''Or... We can make a new one when we come back.'' Naoto crossed his arms and observed the sky. ''This snow will last for at least another week.''

''Absolutely not! Little Naoto is extra special! It's like, the only proper time you've spent with me this whole entire year! I love little Naoto just as much as I love you! And that's like, waaaay too much, big brother...''

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨. 𝐌𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥, 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫. 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 6 |

''Deck the halls with boughs of holly~ Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la~... And Boom! Ta-da! There you go! I'm officially ready and all set for Christmas now. Now I have to wait for the festivities and the presents!''

''You forgot to put the star on the tree top.''

''I-I know that! I just wanted you to do it! This is sibling's work, you are responsible as much as I am.''

''Or maybe you're just not tall enough. You don't need to be so vague, sis. No shame in asking for help.''

''How dare you! I can put that star with my eyes closed! Isn't all I have to do is climb? Child's play.''

''Riiiiiight... And then I'll fall and get hurt, huh? I'm sorry, Hibiki. I'll take care of it.''

''Isn't holiday decorating fun, Naoto? I absolutely is! Hehe.''

''By 'enjoying holiday decorations,' you mean enjoying the Christmas gifts you got by pretending to be a good child...''

''I earned those! I'm a good kid! Bleh!''

''Good kid? Yeah sure, smartpants. You actually covered your neighbor's car with toilet paper just because she didn't give you candy! I had to take responsibility for it. My one-month allowance is gone because of you, and I want you to remember that.''

In December 6, the Masako siblings were decorating their house as New Year's Eve was approaching rapidly.

As every year, the most prominent decoration in the house was going to be the Christmas tree. Naoto had anticipated this and so, already set up the tree while Hibiki was still at school, but of couse, leaving the decorating to her. If Naoto had decorated all by himself, she would have grumbled all day about it and sulk all day.

The task of placing the final decoration fell to his older brother since Hibiki couldn't reach the top of the tree. Naoto effortlessly placed the star on the top of the Christmas tree, which stood proudly in their living room. ''And, done. I think we finished all the decorations in the house.''

''Yippie! It's finally over! That took way too l—''

*Ring Ring*

''One sec, that's mine.'' Naoto picked up his phone. ''Naoto speaking. A-ah! Gomen Yuina, I didn't see that it's you. Ehh, what am I doing? Hibiki and I were decorating the Christmas tree. —Tomorrow? Yes, I'm free. Okay, at White Lotus then? See you... I love you too.''

''Ooh? Someone's got a date tomorrow? Yuina-nee-chan still want to spend time with you.''

''Relationships 1-0-1, meaning of what it's like to be in a relationship. She said she wanted to go have something to drink before the enterance exam.''

"You and Yuina-nee-chan are aiming for the same university, aren't you? Whatcha gonna do if you two end up in different ones?"

''...That's our first plan, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if things don't work out that way. We'll both still be in Tokyo even we split, after all. Wait--- Is this jealousy I smell? Heh, Hibiki...''

"Hmpf, that gyaru is trying to steal you from me! No way, I won't let that happen! You're my brother, and you're stuck with me forever!"

''I thought you like her.'' Naoto sigh, and sat down on the couch.

''I...do.'' Hibiki avoids her gaze away in shyness. ''She's cool, I admit. She brings me snacks every time she comes. Come to think of it, how long has it been since you started dating her?''

''A year and a half in January. And geez, when you start acting like a relationship master? I shouldn't have lent you those shoujo manga.''

''We are siblings, I am just as smart as you are!'' Hibiki stick out her tongue and pout. ''Baka, Naoto!''

''Okay okay, hold your horses down. Let's just say I'll be busy tomorrow. You can tell mom and dad, right?''

''Yeah yeah, busy with your gyaru date, huh? Fine. I'll handle them. But you owe me big time, brother!''

''Deal. I'll buy you that game you've been eyeing for a while.''

Naoto's life was no different from that of a typical high school teenager. A girlfriend, a stable routine, and the goal of getting into college. He never had the courage to ask for more, so he was someone who knew how to be content with what he has and cherish them till the end. 

Everyone around him cherished and loved Naoto deeply. He was handsome, helpful and angelic boy in every sense. His classmates, those around him and his family— Especially his sister. In fact, in the year he graduates, which is this year, he is set to become an honor student.

Hibiki couldn't imagine what life would be like without him.

Likewise, Naoto couldn't imagine what life would be like without her.

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨. 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟕 |

Kagurazaka District happen to be overflowing with people for New Year's shopping, like it happens every year. Naoto was quite familiar with this area because of his girlfriend, this was her favorite place to shop. The snowfall that started days ago was still continuing, but it has been a while since it lost its effect. 

Shopping, nightlife or a quiet night. It was also an ideal place for simple date, like a center with everything someone looking for.

Naoto arrived at the designated meeting place about fifteen minutes early. He chose to leave early just in case, that's the kind of person he is. ''...I forgot the reservation, yikes.''

The cafe they were heading to was quite popular; it wouldn't be their first time in there. Yet, every time they visit in the evenings, they encounter a serious crowd of bustling couples or just families with children.

''Feast your eyes, handsome. I have returned! Did I keep you waiting too long?''

''Good evening you too, Yuina.'' Naoto bowed his head down. ''...Did you dye your hair again?''

Yuina stood on her tiptoes and kissed Naoto's cheek slowly, leaving her lipstick mark on his cheek. ''Mmmmwah, such a gentleman.'' Then she nodded. ''Yeah, I wanted a change.''

Naoto enjoyed the soft kiss as long as he could before cleaning the mark with his sleeve. ''This is the fourth in two weeks. What was the previous one, green?''

''Blue, actually. Green was before it.'' Yuina leaned her back against the wall, just like Naoto. ''Thanks for coming. All this exam business was starting to overwhelm me.''

''Not like I have another option but accept. You're really determined to go to the same university as me, won't you?''

''Hell yes! I want to be in the same class with my boyfriend. Perhaps even in the same dorm room. I'm studying, Naoto. But I don't have as much willpower as you, so I need a break every now and then. Aaaaaand...If I deserve a break, that means I'm dragging you with me all the way down, hehe.'' Yuina reached into the right pocket of her fur coat and took out a small box. ''Do you mind?''

''Geez, you'll damage your lungs...''

''Calm down, it's not like I'm doing it everyday.'' Before her boyfriend could finish what he was saying, Yuina took a cigarette from the pack she took out of her pocket and lit it with lighter. ''Ah, that's hit the spot.''

Naoto was always a bit annoyed whenever Yuina smoked whenever she felt like it, but he could understand the stress she was going through. Unlike him, Yuina's grades were always below average since start of the highschool, so she needed to study day and night for him to be able to go to the same university.

He had told her millions of times before that it wasn't necessary, but Yuina, being a pretty as stubborn, had made up her mind that they needed to be together in their college years.

''Felt any better?'' A question entirely allegorical. ''...''

''💢... Just because I'm your girlfriend doesn't mean I can't beat the shit out of you right now, Naoto.'' Yuina chuckled with the burning cigar between her lips. ''I made the reservation, by the way. Mou, aren't we regular customers? Why doesn't she give us some privilege?''

''It's better this way, otherwise I'd feel bad.''

''Always you and that your silky heart of yours. Did all these lessons make my precious Naoto boring or what?''

Naoto rolled his eyes, followed by a nonchalant giggle. "Haha~ And what exactly is wrong with that? I just think what's right. I don't want to owe the bar lady."

''I think it's adorable. Once we get to college, we'll have plenty of time to take care of each other anyway.''

''First study, then dream... Shall we go now? As much as I love it here, I prefer an indoor area.''

''One kiss first, I didn't use this lipstick for nothing.'' Yuina took her cigarette between her fingers and pressed it against the wall she leaned on to extinguish it. Then, she approached Naoto, bringing her lips close to his. ''Mmmm~~~''

''Wait wait wait, not after smoki———!? Mmmm...~~~''

Yuina gently cupped Naoto's cheeks and planted a sweet kiss on his lips.

''Naoto, I love you. I know I can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but I want you to know that you mean everything to me.''

Naoto's cheeks flushed in an instant, but also trying hard not to succumb to a coughing crisis. A kiss right after a cigarette is usually a disaster. ''I also love yo—Argh... Ash and nicotine, whhhyyy...''

''Pfft, bwahaha! Whoopsies!''

''Hehe~''

Despite the awkward moment caused by the lingering taste of smoke, Naoto and Yuina shared a laugh as they headed towards to their destination. The bustling streets of Kagurazaka seemed to fade away as they entered to a different kind of place.

The café they were about to go was directly linked with the Kagurazaka District, but its location was still quite favorable. Situated on an authentic street known as Chinatown, it held a promising position.

One already knew you were in the right place when the writings that should normally be in Japanese turned into Chinese and other unreadable languages. They had discovered this place entirely online some time ago, and they definitely not regretting it.

''Great, queue at the door.'' Naoto said, looking at the growing line of people in the enterance of White Lotus. Way too many people. ''...''

''And that's where I come in clutch! I already made the reservation the day we talked. So follow me, Naoto! To our Holy Grail! And hey, don't hold back on the compliments!''

''You're amazing, you know that, right?'' He smiled. ''Like literally. Even my sister loves you.''

Yuina's held his hand before entering inside. ''The secret is to crack the children-code. Hibiki-chan is a wonderful girl, just like her older brother. 

*Creak...*

"Bar Mistress! Yoohoo! We're back!" Yuina swings the door wide open. The interior is even wilder than the exterior. Every table is jam-packed, and the maids and attendants are zooming from table to table with zero rest.

''Welcome. Always great to see my favorite couple in action.''

''Good evening Ning-san, it's a pleasure to see you again.'' Naoto nods his head in a respectful greeting once more.

''Naoto, sugarcake... You really don't have to be that gentle everytime. C'mon, your reserved seats are right up front at the bar counter."

The all-beautiful cocktail mistress, the manager, and also the owner of the White Lotus cafe. Naoto and Yuina met her the first time they came here. They don't know much about her, but they always thought she's a kind person.

''Woah, manager!?'' Yuina whips off her jacket and drapes it over the chair. ''Have you improved your Japanese? Pretty sure wasn't that fluent last time I check.''

''Even though Chinatown is now my new home, I do live Tokyo so...I signed up for a language class in the mornings. 尝试一下总没有坏处.''( No harm in trying. )

The woman behind the bar seemed to have already mastered her job. While she was talking to those two new arrivals, she was also preparing other customers' cocktails, without even looking at the ingredients.

Yuina settled into her own seat, then Naoto slid in beside her. Yuina had always been the wild-cracker in their relationship, and Naoto was more of a gentleman and polite-cotton type. That's precisely why everyone loves him.

''No wonder this place became popular so quickly, Ning-san. Were you this cool in China too?''

"Popularity comes with talent. I'm just skilled at what I do. Whether people show up or not depends on their taste." The bar lady raised her head and looked at the completely packed cafe. Not a single empty table, neither here nor upstairs. ''You changed your hair color again sweetie, Yuina? Just when I thought green looked good on you.''

''Aaaactually, Bar Mistress... It was your hair color until yesterday. The platinum blue became fantastic in my eyes! It totally rocked! But then, I was like, 'Nah, let's go back to blonde, that suits me better!' Crazy, right?"

''She basically says, she's Ramona Flowers on budget. I can't even remember my girlfriend's original hair colour. How weird.''

"This is how Gyaru girls roll, Naoto! It's all about our style, the dressing up game! You do... like my style, right?'' Her voice takes on a lower, sadder tone. "Do you...?"

''Of course I love. I think...'' He blush and avoid his eyes. ''Every color looks good on you.''

''!...Hmpf. C-correct a-a-answer.'' Yuina crosses her arms and pouts, yet the warmth in her cheeks gives her away. Totally embarrassed. "Mou! Let's just order! We came this far; we need something to drink. Bar Mistress, I'll have Chinese Beer."

''我正在处理它. ( On it ). Naoto, you'll take the usual, right?''

Naoto nod. ''Oceanic Oasis, and biscuit. Thanks.''

''It'll be done in a few minutes. Meanwhile, Yuina-chan. So, you styled your hair like mine. Got a photo?'' The Bar Mistress began to prepare the drinks they ordered on the counter in front of her. ''

"Naoto's got one. I pretty much remember we snapped a selfie back in school.''

"E-eh?! That  photo's on my sister's phone... Sorry, Ning-san! I'll definitely show you next time we swing by!"

''Also, we'll probably be university students next time we come here! Heck yeah! Highschool can kiss my ass, I'll never return back to that hellhole! Haha!''

"I don't think university life will be that different. We still have to attend classes, you know."

"But you'll be by my side! Hehe. When we're together, I can at least tolerate classes. It's cool being in the same high school, but it would be absolutely amazing if we were in the same class!"

Naoto's desired university was one of the well-regarded universities in Tokyo. He has no doubt that he could get in, as he had worked hard throughout the year. But when he told Yuina about the university he wanted to attend, her decision was swift;

She, too, began taking extra classes and study. She never wanted to be apart from Naoto, but she just couldn't ask him to aim for a lower-tier university.

Therefore, instead of trying to bring him down, she decided to raise herself.

''It would be like that, wouldn't it?'' Naoto chuckle. ''I believe in both of us. Now that we're now close to the end.''

"Alright, lovebirds. Drinks are ready." The barmaid places their drinks on the counter and began to clean the over-used beer mugs with a rug. "By the way, how did you two meet? You never mentioned it before. I wouldn't be overstepping my limits if I said I was interested, right?"

''———?! Ning-san, please d-don't!'' Naoto's eyes widen. ''Ah...''

Yet, Yuina devilishly smirked. "He punched my face."

''...?'' The barmaid tilt her head. ''Naoto, dear. Please don't force me to have to reconsider my thoughts about you.''

''AAAAAHH!! Don't tell it like that...''

''What? You did punch my face. I stayed in the hospital for a week because of you.'' Yuina took a sip from her drink and giggle. ''And a couple of lost teeth.''

''Yeah, that's what happens if you get between someone and a punch-machine!'' Naoto panicked and started to tell the proper story to get rid of Yuina's tease. ''I...was at the arcade at the mall with a few friends from my old class—''

''— And I was there to have some fun with my little cousins.'' Yuina completed his sentence.

''In short, Yuina jumped in front of the punch machine to catch one of her running baby cousins ​​while I was about to try the punch machine. The rest is pretty obvious, I guess... I may have Superman Punched her face or may have not...hehe...''

"Oh, he totally did! %100. When I cracked my eyes open, bam! Hospital room, and guess what? Half my face was the bandaged. But not gonna lie, it was quite the punch. Might even have been the high score."

''...You can't except me to brag about that! I hurt you.''

Yuina winked at Naoto and then turned her stool towards the barmaid. "But this nice teddy bear here came to visit every day I stayed in the hospital. He showed up without fail for a whole week, apologizing with flowers in hand—"

''—Later it turned out that we were in the same high school.'' This time Naoto completed her sentence. 

''And we started hanging out. Not a real flashy story, but I'm not ashamed to tell it.''

''You're not ashamed because in this story I'm the weird guy who punches a defenseless girl. Not you.'' He rolled his eyes. ''But, we're together in the end.'' Naoto leaned over to Yuina's stool and kissed her cheek, beaming a pure smile.

Yuina held her cheek where he kissed and blush. ''Love you, dumbass.''

"Youthful love is quite something, my my. As you can see, sweethearts, I don't have many young clients. People like you at least bring some color to the enviroment."

''Don't talk like that, Bar Mistress. This is the most popular place in this area. You definitely have something to tell. A piece of advice from a young girl, if you want this place to attract more youngsters, add a few activities.''

''Activities? I'm all ears.'' The barmaid's hands paused for a moment while she worked on the drinks. "..."

''Let's start simple. How about getting one of those Kareoke machines that are popular lately? I get it, this place is authentically high, but you gotta be open to new hues. If I can even get bored of my own hair color, imagine what'll happen when children keep seeing the same old stuff!"

''Won't this bother my clients? Drunks often cannot stand much music.''

"I'm aware. That's why I was gonna say you can use the upstairs. Just soundproof it, and no one will be disturbed. As they say... Everything you receive is almost like a message.''

''What does it mean? Is it a Japanese proverb whose meaning I don't know?''

"I read it in the book Naoto gave me." Yuina reaches into her bag and pulls out a small pocketbook. "I actually grabbed it 'cause I was bored as heck, but it bored me even more. Nerd books aren't very my style."

''I see, I'll consider your suggestion.'' The barmaid said with a small smile. ''If you are not going to read that book, can I have it? Maybe it can help me with my Japanese.''

''All yours, Bar Mistress! I'm glad I helped to such a great place to improve, hihi—''

''You still have to pay for the drinks by the way.''

''Fuck!'' Yuina let it out a defeated sigh. ''Naoto, she got me baaaad...''

''...''

''...''

'...''

''Naoto?...''

''...''

''Earth to my boyfriend. Naoto, can you hear me? Ehh...''

Naoto had moved away from the conversation and was just staring blankly at the bottles behind the bar.

*SMACK!*

''Ow! My leg! Yuina, what the heck?!''

She kicked his shin under the counter.

''You clearly not paying attention.''

''I was not...'' Naoto sigh. ''Okay, maybe a bit. I was just thinking about my sister. She'll be alone when I go to university. I've been thinking about it for a while...''

''You know.'' The barmaid spoke after a thoughtful pause. ''Family is important. But sometimes, we need to let them stand on their own. Your sister is not a little child anymore, and she's lucky to have such a caring brother. It might be tough for her at first, but she'll learn to navigate through life.''

Naoto sipped his drink ''I just worry about her, Ning-san. We've always been there for each other.''

''Worrying is natural, but trust her resilience. And with technology nowadays, staying connected is easier than ever. You can always video call or visit when you have the time, sugarcake.''

''Plus!---'' Yuina added with a playful grin. ''You can always bribe her with snacks. Works like a charm, trust me.''

''Snacks, huh? Well, a strategy I can get behind.'' Naoto chuckled to the jokeful response but, inside he was worried. ''I just hope she doesn't miss me too much. I also shouldn't be a burden to my family after I'll stay in the dorm when we get to college. I better find a job.''

''Naoto... Don't be too hard on yourself, please. We can find a wa—''

''Ning-san, are you looking for employees?''

''Huh? A sudden question. I don't think I am short on staff. If you're really serious about this, I can reserve a spot for you if it becomes available. It might also be beneficial for me to have someone like you working here.''

''Oi! Nobody can steal my boyfriend from me. If he's going to get a job here, I want it too.''

Naoto blinked in surprise at Yuina's sudden declaration. Working together at the cafe wasn't something he had considered, but the idea intrigued him.

''Wait, are you serious, Yuina?'' Naoto asked, his eyebrows raised.

''Absolutely! I mean, why not? We spend so much time together anyway. Plus, it'll be fun working at a place like this. We can be like a dynamic duo behind the bar!'' Yuina's eyes sparkled with excitement.

The barmaid observed their exchange with a subtle smile. ''Well, well. If you two are interested, we can definitely discuss it. But keep in mind, working at a bar is not just about having fun. It requires responsibility, customer service skills, and the ability to handle various situations.''

''Don't worry, Bar Mistress! I can handle it. Plus, Naoto is like the epitome of responsibility.'' Yuina reassured with a confident grin.

 ''I appreciate the confidence, but I'm not sure about being the epitome of anything. Still, if there's an opportunity, I'd be willing to give it a try.''

"Great! We can start a whole new chapter of our lives together!" Yuina high-fived with Naoto. Her enthusiasm contagious.

The manager crossed her arms. "Don't be so quick; nothing's guaranteed. Finish that entrance thing first, and then come see me. If you want a job, I'll have to test you first."

And the rest of the night passed with sweet conversations. Naoto and Yuina relieved as much stress as they could that night before the next step in their lives.

| 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨. 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐,  𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐦𝟏:𝟑𝟎 𝐩.𝐦 |

''Finally...over...''

As Naoto walked out of the exam center, he felt like a huge weight had been lifted from his soul. All the anxiety that had accumulated throughout the year now freshly kicked out from his mind.

All he craved was a day-long slumber now, perhaps even a temporary escape from the world for the next two weeks until the exam results were announced.

"Not a sign of Yuina yet... I guess I'll have to wait for her." Naoto reached into his pocket for his phone to send a text to Hibiki while trying to find a suitable place to rest.

The response came within seconds;

Congralations, Naoto!  Now you've officially stopped being a first-class loser and become a second-class loser! 

''What's that supposed to mean?'' He sweatdropped. ''Whatever... I have to let her know that Yuina is coming for dinner tonight.''

N-nani?! Yuina-nee-chan is coming? All right! Thanks for the pre-notification, I'm going to go clean out my makeup kit. She has a promise for gyaru makeup to me. 

''At least she's still energetic...''

 By the way, we ran out of cookies at home. Stop by that bakery and buy a box on your way back, onegai. 

''But, bakery is way too far from home...''

Hibiki thanks you for the cookie cooperation. If you have any complain please write it down on a paper and send it right to the trashcan <3  Cya! <333

''Naoto! Naoto! Catch me!'' The voice of the awaited girl. 

''Woah— Easy now.'' He eventually managed to catch the girl running towards him in a tight embrace. ''Got you.''

Yuina wrapped her arms around his warm body even tigther and tighter. ''I did it! I did it! I did it...''

''Wait you mean...''

''I mean I DID IT! It was a wonderful exam. Can you believe it? AhahahaAHAHAHAHA!...''

He couldn't find the words to say. Overwhelmed by a mix of joy and exhaustion, he could only express himself through a gentle stroke of his girlfriend's hair, followed by an unexpected kiss on the lips.

''Mmmm...''

"I suppose all we can do now is wait for the results." He said, breaking the kiss with their lips just millimeters apart.

"You know I'll make fun of you so bad if I score higher than you, right?~" Yuina teased.

"In your dreams~" He responded, followed by another kiss, deeper and more passionate this time. "Are you sure you passed, just to be sure?"

"Mmm... It was the best exam I've ever taken, so I must have passed it." She screamed in joy.

"So you're not afraid to fail?"

"Being afraid is your job to do; I'll be glad that it all just ended now." Yuina placed her palms proudly on her waist. "Failure? Oh, but that's super dumb to worry to things won't be.''

''I wish I could be as careless as you.'' Naoto exclaimed, his eyes practically doing somersaults as he checked the clock hanging on the wall. ''We still got time before sunset, what's next?''

"Dunno. Hold onto your hyperactive impulses, my friend, 'cause I've unplugged my brain. Yeah, you heard me right. Zero brain activity. Total shutdown. Today is the day of recklessness, and guess who's leading the parade? Yours truly, Naoto!"

''In short, you have no idea.''

"Yup yup. My brain's on vacation, extended leave, no return ticket. I've even quit smoking for now. That's the level of rebellion we're talking about."

Usually, Yuina's the designer of date destinations, but today, the tables have turned. Naoto, the unsuspecting recipient of this responsibility, raises an eyebrow. "Huh... Honestly, I don't know either. How 'bout we take a little stroll? Maybe something will come to my mind then.''

''To tell you the truth, all I really want is you to be near.''

- - - | ??, ???, ????
 | - - -

𝘞𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨.

𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘶𝘱 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘵 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘢 𝘰𝘣𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘠𝘶𝘪𝘯𝘢 𝘏𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘬𝘢𝘺𝘢 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘕𝘢𝘰𝘵𝘰 𝘔𝘢𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘰 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘋𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 12, 20𝘟𝘟.

𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘶𝘢𝘭 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘣𝘰𝘵𝘩 𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦. 𝘚𝘶𝘣𝘴𝘦𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘭𝘺, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘤𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦.

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘦 𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘮'𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘰𝘮 𝘰𝘧 𝘎𝘪𝘯𝘻𝘢 𝘓𝘢𝘬𝘦.

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘦 𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘮'𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥.

𝘠𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥.

𝘏𝘦, 𝘕𝘢𝘰𝘵𝘰 𝘔𝘢𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘰, 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦𝘥.

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘶𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭.

𝘙𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘬.

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨. 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓 |

''Givehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimbackgivehimback...''

''Ma'am, I'm going to ask you to calm down, once again. The Tokyo Police Department is using all its resources to find your brother. If you don't tell us what you know, it is impossible for us to help you.''

How long has it been? How long has it been since she last saw her brother? Seconds of loss turned into minutes, minutes into hours, hours into days. Seventy-two hours. Missing for seventy-two hours.

The ticking clock echoed through the hollow chambers of her mind, each second a relentless reminder of the gaping void that had swallowed her world. Seventy-two agonizing hours had crawled by since she last laid eyes on her brother, and in that abyss of time, despair had woven itself into the very fabric of her existence.

The concept of place has long since lost its importance in the girl's mind.

Doesn't even know where she is anymore, nor care.

Poor girl not even aware that she's being taken to the police station to be questioned by the police. Even though she's currently inside the scary station, nearly seven hours.

''Givehimbackgivehimbackplease...'' Three words she had been muttering for hours.

''Lieutenant, this won't work, the girl is clearly in shock. For God's sake...'' Voice. The voice of the female police officer. The person who broke the news to her.

The cold, sterile walls of the interrogation room seemed to close in, suffocating the air around. The flickering overhead light cast long, ominous shadows that danced across her tear-streaked face, as if mocking the torment etched into every line. The dull hum of the air conditioner offered no solace, only amplifying the silence that hung heavy in the room.

''What do we know about the victims, officer?''

''A couple, both in highschool. Disappeared on the 12th of the month. The girl is the male victim's sister. Second year middle school, Hibiki Masako. Her missing brother named Naoto Masako.''

The room seemed to grow tenser as the information hung in the air, a chilling reminder of the cruel reality the young girl faced. The details of the disappearance painted a bleak tableau, an unsettling narrative that left more questions than answers.

''Hibiki, can you hear me?'' The female officer's voice, though gentle, struggled to break through the haze that enveloped the girl's consciousness. ''We need your help, Hibiki. If you know anything, anything at all, it could be crucial.''

A wasted effort to communicate.

The girl was now where no one could hear her. In the one place where no one can find her.

Only the vacant eyes, haunted by shadows deeper than the room's dim light. Her whispers had become a ghostly mantra, a lamentation that echo in the desolation of her own mental purgatory. "Naoto... I need you.''

I need you.

Who knows how many more times she'll repeat those word in the future?

Because from that day on, everything went further downhill.

𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 |

The girl began to forget to feel anything. Days have lost their meaning, like everything else.

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 |

How many days had she not gone to school? Even remembering the days when she had breakfast with her brother is painful now.

The passage of time had become an oppressive weight, pressing down on her shoulders with each agonizing moment. The calendar, abandoned and forgotten, marked the progression of days that blended into a seamless tapestry of despair.

Another day passed behind closed doors.

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 |

And another.

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗 |

...

.

.

.

|
𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒 |

'' Tokyo TV is back with you today to bring you the day's important developments. Before we move on to the headlines of the evening news, we would like to remind you once again; today is the day when Japan National University Placement Exam results are announced. University candidates can use the official website to check their results. The results are announced as of this hour. Now let's get to the main news. Today in Shinosawa
———"

The clicking sounds arise in the dark. The only real voice she heard outside of her own mind. There was no sound for a long time, this silence was already too loud.

  𝗪𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗧𝗼𝗸𝘆𝗼 𝗗𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗹. 』

  𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗻𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘂𝗹𝘁𝘀...

A few more clicks...

Naoto Masako — Candidate Status — 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐝 (Class B)

Yuina Hachikaya — Candidate Status — 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐝 (Class B)

『 𝗔𝗰𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗮𝘀 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗻 𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲. 』

''...''

| 𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟏𝟏 |

''Hibiki, Hibiki Masako. Are you there?'' The door of the Masako household knocked on for the first time in month. Almost been a month since the day.

No answer came. But the knocks continued. Whoever was at the door didn't seem to have any intention of leaving, they had been knocking non-stop for almost fifteen minutes.

Finally someone opened the front-door. ''...'' 

''Hibiki-chan, is that you? Do you remember me? I'm your school principal.''

''...''

''Of course you remember. First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. We, as the entire school facility and students, understand your pain, we really do.''

''...''

"But you've been absent for a month, and with only a month left in the school year, we understand the need for you to grieve. As the school administration, we respect your right to mourn for as long as necessary. However, we would appreciate it if you could attend school one more time before beginning your final year."

''...''

''So we can help you get through your personal trauma. We have exceptionally skilled teachers in our school who have undergone psychological support training. They are well-equipped to provide the assistance you need. A sweet and friendly girl like you can be the same as before."

''...''

''Honey, I understand you, I really do. Even though I haven't experienced what you've experienced, We... I want to help you. If you continue to miss school, the government and child protection services will have to take action, and neither of us wants that.''

''...''

''That's all I have to say to you for now, I advise you to go back to school before making things any harder for anyone.'' 

''Miss Principal...''

''Yes? Do you have something to say? Please discuss these issues about school with your homeroom tea—''

''Go fuck yourself.''

| 𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝟑𝟎. 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐧. |

The last glimmer of hope in her heart long faded away. There was no more sorrow or grief within her. Her tears had dried up. All those negative feelings have been replaced by something else—Depression, a slow and persistent presence since that day.

She still missed her brother as much as before. But she wasn't mourning anymore, nor was she upset. The girl couldn't even determine whether what she felt was an emotion or its opposite of an emotion. All she feels was...

Emptiness. Void

On this very day, she had another visitor. The echo of footsteps reverberated in front of her locked door. ''Hibiki... It's Maria. Your parents aren't home, I used the spare key. Are you...in there?''

The person she once considered her best friend. Friend, what a funny word.

''Yes,'' came the reply, devoid of warmth.

''I haven't seen you for months, are you...alright?''

''I'm alive.''

''Are you eating properly?''

''...''

"May I come inside?" Maria's concern permeated her voice. "Please, I need to see you."

''Use the key. I don't care.'' 

Marie had the spare key for the house. A key that opens almost every door in the Masako household. It was given to Maria by Hibiki's parents a long time ago, a gesture to keep their daughter company when she felt bored and alone.

''O-Okay...'' Marie inserted the key into the lock, a small metal intrusion into the sanctuary of Hibiki's isolation. ''Coming in th———?! NO...No no no no no...!? Hibiki!''

The pulse of the guest girl quickened, her pupils contracted, and her hands began to tremble. The only thing she scared seeing stood right in front of her. Her best friend, almost on the verge of collapse.

''What?''

''YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE EATING PROPERLY!'' Marie's words burst forth, charged with a mix of frustration and concern.

''I said you nothing.''

''...''

''Why are you here? You saw that I am alive, now go home.''

''I wanted to check on you. Your senior year has begun and you're still nowhere to be found. You missed the entrance ceremony, and a lot of things...''

''Shame.'' Her eyes remained fixed on the ceiling, staring into an abyss of thoughts of her own. After a moment's pause, she slowly rose, her movements mechanical, as if guided by an unseen force. She sank onto the bed. ''Don't worry about me, I'm eating properly. It's just that my body doesn't care anymore. I get weak no matter how much I eat.''

''This...is not normal, Hibiki.''

''Can you define normal? Don't bother to answer. You're not that...smart.''

''...!'' Maria clenched her fists in frustration. "You removed Naoto-nii's photos. I saw in the hallway; they are all missing."

''My parents did. It was painful for them, they said.''

''Where are they? Your parents?''

''Probably doing their jobs.'' She reached into the cabinet next to her bed and took two pills. One red, and the other was yellow. She threw them into her mouth in one go and swallowed without water. ''Those two idiot devoted themselves to their work to cope with the loss of my brother. Sometimes they don't even come home, just because they think they can forget the pain by working.''

Maria's eyes welled up with tears as she witnessed her friend's deteriorating state. "Hibiki, this isn't h-h-healthy. You can't just rely on pills and i-isolation to deal with your pain!"

Hibiki's laughter echoed through the room, a hollow and bitter sound. "Help? What help? No one can bring him back. No one can..." She gestured towards the empty walls where her brother's photos once hung. "And those pills won't fix...SHIT EITHER! They just help me get through the day."

"Hibiki, you're not just surviving; you're...fading away.''

''Leave, Maria. I never asked for anyone's help, and I don't want it.''

The words hung in the air, heavy with finality. Maria felt a lump in her throat, and her voice trembled as she whispered. "Hibiki, I can't just abandon you."'

''Maria, you can't even believe it yourself with those words. You can go on with your life as normal, without thinking about me.''

''...You don't have to live like this. There are therapists, support groups—"

"Therapists? Support groups?" Hibiki scoffed. "You think talking to strangers will do anything? You think it will bring my brother back? It won't, Maria. Nothing will. I accepted this."

''...''

''Now, leave. I don't wanna hear your voice anymore.''

''W-w-why?... Why did you have to be like this..."

.

.

.

Once again, left alone in her room. ''Finally...''

Nothing the girl said was incorrect. Help and therapy will not bring her brother back. What's the point then?

She stood up and made her way to the bathroom after making sure Maria was gone.

Now she'll do it again.

That disgusting thing.

The thing she's always ashamed of doing.

Even though there is no longer any mourning or sadness, the girl still wishes for one thing all the time. It's what she's been waiting for every day, every minute, and every second.

When the pain and darkness inside become too much for her to bear, she does that.

She stood in front of the bathroom mirror before taking action. How many times have you already done this? Why don't you just stop? She looked in the mirror at herself. She's still the same—Same yesterday, same today and same tomorrow.

''...'' Hibiki rolled up her left sleeve.

She doesn't need any therapy. Why would she need therapy? Everything she needs to relieve her mind is already in this particular small bathroom;

A sponge, a rubber duck, her toothbrush, her toothpaste, a comb, a hairpin, an old make-up set, fresh towels, 𝘣𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘨𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘳𝘢𝘻𝘰𝘳.

''𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥'𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘮𝘦. 𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥'𝘷𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘮𝘦... 𝘕𝘢𝘰𝘵𝘰... 𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶? 𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘺 𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘰 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦...''

| 𝐀 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎. 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡-𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥. |

She really doesn't want to get out of bed. Not yet, the sun hasn't even risen yet. 

During her last year in secondary school, Hibiki didn't go to school even once. She missed the graduation ceremony and most everything else. Because she has a lost family member, she always had the right to not attend school due to the government laws, so she passed the class without taking any exams. Either way, there is no difference for her to pass or fail.

Her plan today is simple;

Do the same.

Today's the registration day, and also the first day of high school. The only thing she has to do is to be at school on the first day and finish the day. After that, she will never set foot in that building again.

"I can't even remember the last time I had to put on a uniform." She mumbled, eyeing the one sent by the school. "Too dark tones for a uniform... A gray sweater and black trousers. Whatever."

For the first time in months, she found herself going somewhere other than the supermarket and pharmacy. "Great, another snapped hairpin... Fuck, this was the last one. Now I'm stuck with that stupid cat-ear clip again."

She didn't choose Asahiyama High for any particular reason. Just any one closest to their home would do. One day, then back within four walls.

When Hibiki arrived at the school gate, she saw exactly what she had been thinking. The chaos of the first day. High school newcomers were in a state of confusion, not knowing what to do, while upperclassmen were lost in the midst of chaos. She had experienced the same thing when she started middle school, but back then, she was much younger...and innocent.

Then she found the class with her name on the hanging class lists. ''1-B...''

''Hey, did you see that kid over there? He's so handsome! Oh my god, I'm going to ask for his number! Wish me luck girls!''

''Is he a idol or something? He must be a freshman too.''

"...?" Hibiki turned to face the whispers and saw a tall boy around her age surrounded by girls. The boy was attempting to escape, but the girls persisted in keeping him busy with questions. "Must be nice to be lucky. Bastard."

She ignored the unnecessary crowd behind her for as long as she could and headed to her class. Faster time meant faster freedom.

Her new class didn't seem any different from her last one. Desks and chairs. Her classmates didn't look that different either—ordinary kids with ordinary looks. As her classmates began to file into the classroom for their first day of class, one by one, Hibiki saw him. That playboy from the morning. 

They hadn't exchanged a word a yet, but Hibiki didn't like him from the first shot, even found him somewhat disgusting.

Upon the teacher's entrance into the room, beckoning for everyone's attention, Hibiki found herself unable to rid the nagging sensation of annoyance. "Alright, students. Welcome to your first day at high school, I'll be your homeroom teacher for this year. If you want to get information about high school life or school rules, you can consult me or the new student council that will be established in a week by the principal.  And since today is the first day, there won't be any heavy classes. Use this time for socializing and adapt to your new life.''

The day unfolded with an agonizing slowness, each passing minute dragging along more sluggishly than the last. She mechanically absorbed the teacher's introductory remarks and endured the customary first-day formalities, all the while suppressing the persistent urge to vomit or just stand up and get the fuck out of the door.

.

...

.

Yet the only good thing about today, as the teacher said, was that there were no lessons for first-years. 

All the first-years now trying to get along with each other and find friends in their miserable high school lives— or most of them atleast. Hibiki had neither the patience nor the strength to handle that kind of thing. When she looks at all those smiles, all she sees are silhouettes of her past. 

In the past, she used to befriend everyone and everything, making friends all the way. There wasn't a soul in her middle school who didn't count as her friend. Now all she can do is watching people around with blank eyes and with a lost purpose to life.

*Ding Dong...*

When the lunch bell rang, she found herself in the backyard of the school. Empty and no one around. ''...I'll just stay here until the bell.'' She sighed. ''My bandages started to leak...''

"Excuse me, is this place empty?" A voice interrupted her thoughts.

"What?—"

Hibiki looked up to see the boy from this morning standing still before her. Given the usual emptiness of the backyard, she hesitated for a moment, wondering if he was actually addressing her, but there was no one else in sight.

"Are you avoiding other students too?" He asked, a light smile playing on his lips. "Hehe, how about we avoid people together?"

''Suit yourself.'' 

''Arigato! You just saved me from quite a headache.'' With gratitude in his tone, the boy settled into the empty space beside Hibiki. "And they told me high school was fun, tch."

''...''

''I remember you, we're in the same class, right?'' 

Hibiki nodded silently, not bothering to engage in further conversation.  ''...''

The boy, whose name she still didn't know, leaned his back against the stone wall. ''This might be a weird question, but what are cat ears for?'' 

''Broken hairpin.''  Her weak voice tone surprised even herself. ''It was all I had left.''

''I see, don't worry, I'm not judging or anything. They look... rather unique. Oh right, right! Names! Would you like to tell me your name or should I call you Cat-Woman?''

''Hibiki.''

''Hibiki-chan, it is. I'm Asuka, call me any-how-ever you want.'' 

''...''

''Sorry for invading your personal space Hibiki-chan. I needed a place to hide. The girls here are a little too...uhh, persistent?''

''...Why are you even talking to me?''

''Isn't that what people do? What we call socializing, I guess.''

''Are you trying to socialize? With me— Don't waste your time... Just leave me be.''

The dim lighting cast shadows on Hibiki's sullen face as she hunched over, a sense of despair weighing her down. It didn't take long for Asuka to sense that something was not right about this girl.

 "You seem... down. Is something bothering you, Hibiki-chan?"

''Cut it out. You wouldn't understand."

Asuka's cheerful demeanor slowly faded, replaced by a more somber tone. "Hey, sometimes it helps to talk about it. And already I owe you for letting me hide anyway."

''Talking isn't going to make things better, it never does.''

"Have you tried it before?"

''Like you even care, you're just a stranger.''

"We don't always have to be strangers.'' Asuka crossed his arms. ''Aren't we classmates? Sooner or later, we'll see each other every day."

''Nobody will ever see me again. Today was mandatory, it won't happen again.''

At that moment, Hibiki slowly became more and more disgusted with this boy. The problem was that she didn't know why. The boy, Asuka, was undeniably handsome, so it wasn't a matter of looks. Yet, each time she cast her gaze upon him, a wave of nausea and nerve swept over her, compelling her soul just to run away.

"Quite a statement, Hibiki-chan. Why not give it a shot? High-school life might surprise you."

Hibiki scoffed with her bitter tone cutting through the air. "Surprise me? I've had enough bullshit surprises in life. Each one is worse than the last..."

"Look, I get it. Life can be tough. But shutting yourself off completely won't make things better. Sometimes, facing the chaos head-on is the only way to find a way out."

She shot him a cold, piercing gaze. "A way out? There's no peace for me. Just memories I want to forget and a future I don't care about. I don't have friends to talk anymore.''

''Duh girl, it's the first day of high school. No one has any friends today! Why the heck you think this half-ass chaos-shit exists in the first place? People are trying to connect and bond with each other.'' Asuka said. ''In fact, I haven't been friends with anyone yet. So we're basically in the same boat. Heck, if we don't count my two weirdos.''

''What?...''

''Ah, well. Everything I told you is true. I really didn't make any new friends but I got two childhood friends here. God knows where one of them is right now, and the other is in the same class as us. I was just chatting with him back in class before I swung by here. It's totally fine if you haven't noticed him; he's sort of, well uh... Not the most noticeable person around."

''...''

''Then everyth—?!''

''Girls, I found him!'

''Asuka-san, may I have your number, please!

''I want him alive, ladies! Spare some of him for me.''

''Asuka-san!''

''Asuka-kun!''

''Shoji-san...! Where are you? You can't hide forever y'know!''

''Motherfu--- They found me, goddammit they found me! They must have seen me jump out the window, damn witches.'' Asuka's eyes widen instantly, sprang to his feet with incredible agility. ''Welp, that's my runaway call.''

The voice of a group of at least 20-25 girls chanting Asuka's name heard from the other-side corner of the wall. Footsteps were approaching fast, way faster then it should be.

He took a pre-running position before slung his jacket over his shoulder. ''What I was trying to say was that people will find you even if you don't want them to. Or vice versa, you may find someone without you even realize.''

''How can you be so sure?...''

''Why don't you keep coming and see for yourself? We are no longer strangers, if you see me don't hesitate to say hi.''

''...Nao——— W-w-w-wait don't go...!'' The girl understood. ''Don't go...''

Reason why does she feel sick every time she sees him. That reason why the pain echoes inside her mind more then before cause of him.

Just like her's brother, Hibiki saw in those eyes something she had lost a long, long time ago...

𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘸 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴.

| 𝐀 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏. 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡-𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥. |

Hibiki did the one thing she thought she wouldn't do anymore that day. She went to school. She saw it yesterday, she had seen it in that blond boy, even if only for a moment. Her brother. It only lasted a split second, but it felt like she was talking to him...after all these months.

The girl knew the truth wasn't like that, but it came. Her brother was missing, perhaps already... in heaven. Nobody couldn't quite explain why, but she found herself at school.

She sat alone at her desk, the empty seats around her haunting reminders of the absent faces—neither the blond boy nor the friend he spoke of yesterday had shown up. ''...''

''...'' Her left arm hurts today. It's not hard to see why. She did it again. ''...''

''You reek.''

''What the fuck?...''

''You reek blood and despair.''

A doll, no, a human. A girl in night-dark uniform is in front of Hibiki, staring at her. The purple-eyed girl's visage was so flawless that she could easily be mistaken for an exquisite doll.

''I---I... Who are you? S-stay away from me...''

''I have been watching you for a while. You're in a pretty bad shape.''

''It's none of your business—''

''Which do you use, knife or razor?''

''———!'' She had never stood up so quickly in her life before, her pulse racing within her. ''Why you...''

''Your left arm twitches as you speak. Especially your wrist.'' 

 Has never panicked this much before in her life. ''W-w-what the fuck is wrong with you!...''

''Don't speak.'' The myserious girl grabbed Hibiki's right arm. ''You're coming with me.''

''No!''

''If you don't come, I have to tell the teachers about the things you did.''

''...''

Her heartbeat start to kick her chest faster and faster. Confronted by the black-haired girl's menacing threat, Hibiki found herself with no other recourse—no one should ever find out. Succumbing to the coercion, she began to trail the mysterious girl behind her.

The girl led her to the girls' bathroom, a few classrooms away from their class. Without betraying a single emotion on her face, the dark maiden approached the entrance and swung the door open. "Go inside," she instructed Hibiki.

Inside of the girls' restroom was empty. Taking advantage of this, the girl who forcefully hostage her locked the door.

The dim, flickering light in the bathroom seemed to cast an eerie atmosphere. The mysterious girl's gaze bore into Hibiki's eyes as if searching for something vital on her body. 

"Sit." the dark-haired girl commanded, pointing to a vacant chair by the mirror.

''Are you going to hurt me?... Do it, I don't care.''

''You'd care if you weren't an idiot. Check your arm.''

Hibiki hesitated for a moment before reluctantly rolling up her left sleeve. The bandages beneath were soaked in crimson, vivid evidence of the blood that stained them. She just stayed silent under the weight of her sins. What could she say? It's already been exposed, what a freak she is. ''...Why did you bring me here? If you're going to expose me, just do it.''

''If I wanted to expose you, I would have done so already. You'll actually screw up your own business. I know the smell of blood. If I hadn't lured you here, the whole school would have found out your...dirty little secret.'' Purple-eyed girl began to rummage through her bag, pulling out a small first aid kit and some bandages. ''You're leaking, no matter how hard you try to hide it. You'll faint from blood loss if you don't change those bandages in a few hours. Be a good girl and listen."

Raising her arm to inspect, Hibiki saw the undeniable evidence – blood was dripping.

''Why are you helping me?''

"I told you, you reek." The purple-eyed girl replied, her words dripping with a cryptic allure. "I never said I didn't like the smell. It would be a lamentable tragedy if you face expulsion for a nonsense reason."

She didn't say anything, couldn't say anything at all. She just took the clean bandages the girl gave him and wrapped them over the old bandages. The bleeding stopped, for now. ''...Who are you?'' 

Before the answer, Hibiki saw the student ID on the girl's bag sitting in the corner;

• Asano ''Francesca'' Mei

• Asahiyama High-School, First Year— 1-D

-  -  -

.

.

.

To be continued...in the future.

Always get support if you feel in the dark. Life's too short to ruin yourself. Never resort to razors, even at your worst.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.5K 2.9K 61
In this story you are Y/N a normal boy who is going to have a hell of a meeting. Immerse yourself in the history of Y/N and his 4 best friends (The m...
1.9K 51 13
Kazato Igarashi... A young man who doesn't seem to care about his own wellbeing nor others after what transpired in his dark past. He could simply wa...
17.7K 485 33
After Fuutaro collapsed on his school trip, an admirer couldn't bear to look at him exhausted like that. He decided to help his „Idol" out, how will...
9.6K 529 45
**second book in the series** (Y/N) arrived back in his home country... but some want him back? He returns to Japan (reluctantly) and continues to tu...