Somber

Από Eloeide

Randy is a boy capable of communicating with his own shadow. He thought he might've gone crazy at first, he... Περισσότερα

Disclaimer and Warnings
Part 0. Prelude
Part 1. Nightdream
Part 2. Shadowless
Part 4. Won't Tell Mom
Part 5. Just Seeing Things
Part 6. Infirmary
Part 7. Old notebooks, old promise
Part 8. The Visit
Part 9. The Visit (part 2)
Part 10. Who are you?
Part 11. Finding Faye

Part 3. His Reasons

47 7 107
Από Eloeide

The bell rings and signals the end of another tiresome day at school. I feel my shoulders burdened with the day's tension as I make my way out through the corridors. My energy is definitely not enough to run outside the building as others do. Although, a welcome relief washes me over with each step I give that brings me closer to the front exit.

As I step outside, uncertainty grips me. Should I take the bus or use the shortcut? That was a decision I hadn't quite made yet. 

Stepping outside, the sunlight bores down on me and my disheveled hair. Strands of brown hair rebel in every direction, prompting me to conceal them under my hoodie to avoid the bizarre stares of hairstyle judgers—It was better this way. I often dressed like this after all. I bet everyone is used already to the hooded boy walking out of school.

I just wonder how is it possible for my hair to be messier now than when I woke up this morning? Oh right. That must be thanks to my unintended nap during the Language lecture.

No but seriously, why place it as the last lecture in a day? Nobody can remain awake during that one hour.

Squinting against the harsh sun, I blinked, allowing my eyes to adjust to the intense light. People and cars bustled around the front parking lot, parents collecting their children, and some children taking the bus or just walking to their homes with their friends, all safely together.

The commotion felt heavier today, so I preferred not to face it directly by lowering my head and focusing only on the ground. I was never glad to accidentally meet with other people's faces.

The ground is just as busy with everyone's clear-cut shadows that follow right behind them.

Earlier during History, I had been quite startled by the disappearance of my own shadow. At first, I had shrugged it off, attributing it to a trick of the light. Being someone who often sketches, I understood how light could distort our perceptions. 

However, the more I dwelled on it, the less it made sense...

.

The class had drawn to a close, and as my classmates streamed out for recess, I remained seated, lost in my trance. It was as though I was frozen in place, despite knowing I should move, a reluctance within me rooted me to the spot. I didn't wanted to move at all and risk facing what might be on the floor beneath me. I dreaded the possibility that my explanations were all wrong, that something inexplicable had caused my shadow to vanish.

Only then it dawned on me, I was doing it again... what Nathan had told me—I was overthinking my fears, allowing those illogical worries to consume me. 

Had it not been for the growing hunger gnawing at my stomach, I might have remained glued to my seat for the entire lunch break.

Regrettably, I didn't simply stand and leave as planned. I mean, yes, that sounds pretty easy, but my mind wasn't in the right state at that moment.

'You got this,' I had mentally assured myself, 'It was just an illusion.'

Shutting my eyes, I abruptly stood up and fumbled to gather my books and stuff.

Still blindfolded, I clumsily tripped against the desk beside mine making me fall round with everything else I was holding. 

In my shock, I hastily rose, jumping like a scaredy cat, tiptoeing and making rapid jumps in an attempt to evade... myself? A half-gasp involuntarily escaped me amidst the commotion. 

It was then I realized... my shadow was mimicking my every move, and I had been foolish all along. 

To make matters worse, a classmate, likely returning for something forgotten, witnessed my embarrassing moment. The expression on their face revealed that they had observed my entire awkward spectacle.

Sigh. Perhaps one of my lowest moments ever.

I then feigned hiding my embarrassed face by pulling my hoodie over. Hastily collecting my scattered belongings, I departed without a word, passing by my wide-eyed classmate in a rush.

I didn't bother to check who it was, though it probably didn't matter. Considering the black hair and towering height, it was likely Hamish himself. 

But who knows? He wasn't the only tall, black-haired boy in our class. Jayden fit that description too, only he was way more mischievous. If it had been him, he would have likely mocked me or recorded the whole scene. So, I'm assuming it was the former.

Ugh, the memory makes me cringe. Why did my brain have to replay it with such vivid detail now? 

A chill runs down my spine as I realize the school entrance is slowly emptying, and each passing second brings me closer to missing the bus, if I haven't missed it already.

Sighing once more, I begin to stroll towards my usual shortcut. Whatever, at least something good must come out of this. I'll save more money and then buy the biggest ice cream at Delia's shop—the one with all the scoops and toppings. The one I'm not supposed to indulge in due to its sugar content. The one that is potentially capable of affecting me like one of those energy drinks and stunting my growth, or so they say.

Regardless, someday I'll buy it. Just not today. Right now, all I want is to get home safely and rest.

"Hey Randy, wait!" A voice calls out as I continue on my way. I could feel a hand reach my shoulder before I could even ignore it. 

I turn to face none other than Hamish. What is his deal now?

"Do you take the bus too? Damn, I think we missed it already, didn't we?" He blurts out, attempting to strike up a conversation. I'm asking this once again today... Seriously? What is Hamish's game? Is he aiming for friend of the year, or does he intend to blackmail me with what he saw today? 

I just can't decipher what are his reasons to bring up excuses to bug me all day.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Yes. Now, bye," I say curtly, shaking off his hand and resuming my walk.

"Hey, wait, I need to talk to you," he insists, catching up and walking alongside me.

Would he give up if I ignore whatever he wants to say? Fat chance.

Grunting in frustration, I finally relent. "What is it?" I ask, raising my head and facing him as I stop on my track. I have to raise my head more than just a bit for that. 

"Um, well..." he pauses a bit, "Can we talk about it on our way home?" he puts on a bright smile, although his eyes seem wary towards me. 

"Our?" I shoot back. I would prefer to walk on my own, thank you.

"I mean, do you mind if we walk together? Where do you live?" Hamish inquires, either ignoring my obvious guardedness or oblivious to it. 

Revealing where I live is out of the question, especially when I can't tell why the sudden interest.

"I'm not heading home, actually," I fib, hoping he gets the hint. Not feeling surprised at all when he doesn't.

"Cool, me neither. Wanna go somewhere else then?" 

He persists, following me as I saunter my way towards Delia's instead, accepting my defeat to brush him off.

⎯⎯⎯✧࿓☾⎯⎯⎯

Hamish slid into the seat opposite me, making himself comfortable at the same table. He'd bought a milkshake and was slurping it down like it was the elixir of life, not giving a hoot about intruding on my day. I just munched on a regular frozen dessert that is served as a glass and contains vanilla ice cream and strawberries. 

"So," he began, taking a final sip and clearing his throat before continuing. "Randy, I've been trying to talk to you all day because... well..."

Had he, though?

"Go on," I prompted, keeping it simple.

"Could you, uh, help me with my sister?" he asked hesitantly.

"Her?" I inquired, a bit puzzled.

"Yeah, she's kind of into you for some reason, which honestly baffles me because, no offense, you're the epitome of weird and creepy," he admitted, looking somewhat apologetic.

"Thanks for the insight," I replied flatly.

"No worries. Well, you see, she's been nudging me to get closer to you since we're classmates, so she can, you know, make a move."

Frankly, I couldn't care less about this situation. 

"Tell her I'm not interested," I said, rising from my seat and leaving my empty glass behind as I resumed my path. I could feel him following me with his eyes and I half-expected he would stop me to keep insisting, but surprisingly he didn't.

Perhaps he'd save the details about his sister for another time. Honestly, I wasn't particularly keen on dating someone who had to pester their brother to get closer to their crush, nor a person whose brother was just as the rest and judged me of creepy without even knowing me.

Handling my own issues is already enough for me.

Finally alone, I made my way home, thankfully evading notice from my cousins about my late arrival. Or so I had thought. 

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

258 124 25
Have you ever been abducted by your mind... by the evil that dwells inside it? ... If we define normal as sane, Aamon was never been a normal man. He...
4.1K 203 51
Big thanks to Unipiggs, Check her out --Summary-- Over the past years of Corys life he has the weird dreams over and over. He wonders why his friends...
Albatross Από Vapid Ink

Γενικό Φαντασίας

274K 11.2K 34
Elliot's partner was his whole world, but after Allan's death, his ghost haunts Elliot's dreams. Everyone tells Elliot to move on, but he isn't sure...
Séance Insomnia Από Vienna

Μυστήριο / Τρόμου/ Θρίλερ

58 20 10
[...] But we all knew that playing with ouija boards could be dangerous if you weren't careful. You never know what you might be inviting into your l...