Stay alive

By Forever2006K

"We'll just have to wait and see won't we" When a girl with a rough past meets a boy who's had an even roughe... More

Casting
0.0 How It All Ended
0.1 Day Three Hundred Four
0.2 Kiddnaped
0.3 New Group, New Beginnings
0.4 Chaos Always Follows
0.5 Fighting
0.6 The Prison
0.7 New Problems
0.8 She Who Came Back
0.9 And Then She Was Gone
1.0 The Way Of War
1.1 Gods will
1.3 Pretty Lies
Season four
1.4 A New Groove
1.5 The Spread
1.6 The Dead Are Dead
1.7 New Problems

1.2 It Comes and Goes

68 3 1
By Forever2006K

The next day everyone worked in silence as they collected their things and packed them away. Kassiopeia was sat on her bunk in her shared room as she placed the clothes Mason had folded for her into her duffel bag but came to a stop when she picked up a family album that their mother had insisted on keeping when they left their home for the last time. She smiled slightly at the photo of her younger self getting a piggyback ride from Mason as their parents smiled lovingly at each other. At that moment Rick walked by the cell with Judith in his arms, "that your parents?" He asked softly so he wouldn't scare her. She looked at the picture longingly before turning her head to Rick.

She gave a slight nod, "yeah before the divorce" she gave a light chuckle, "we use to be happy" Kassie mused as she looked back to the photo before looking back to the man.

"I know that feeling, my wife Lori—" Rick scoffed lightly, "she was sleeping with my best friend Shane when they thought I was dead" he said with a sad smile, "Judith is his daughter but I love her like she's mine because she's the last thing I have of my wife" Judith cooed at the mention of her name before she lightly hit his face making the two laugh.

"Well if we're being honest my mom cheated with a guy named Shane, he was this police officer from the next town over. Apparently my mom had been cheating on my dad for a few years before the end of the world" Kassiopeia said with a small laugh as she was at the point she wasn't mad at her mother anymore, that didn't mean she understood or supported her mother's choices but she wasn't mad anymore.

Rick's face contorted, "was his last name Walsh?" He asked with furrowed brows.

"Yeah I think so, he came around the house a few times. He threatened my father once, said something about making his life hell for what he was 'doing' to my mother, said he was gonna frame him for something if it came to it" she shook her head at the memory and remembered how he looked at her when he was leaving, he looked like a crazed man in love.

"Yeah sounds like him" he said with a frown as he remembered the night Shane died and everything he had confessed to his old friend on his death bed. "He thought he could take my life- it was a crazy way his brain worked" Rick admitted with a shake of his head.

Kassie smiled up at the man, "I wish I could have known you before the outbreak, maybe Mason and I wouldn't have ended up with the governor- maybe our parents would still be alive" she whispered the last part to herself but that didn't stop Rick from hearing her.

Rick looked to the ground as Kassie zipped up her bag she went to throw it over her good shoulder but was stopped by Glenn who was walking by, "no" was all the Korean man said before he walked off with Kassies bag. She quickly ran off after him making Rick laugh at the two.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Kassiopeia ran after Glenn as they made it outside, Glenn threw her bag into the trunk of the car that her, Beth, Jackson, Hershel, Carl and Judith were taking out into the woods to keep them safe, it was decided the other night who would stay and fight and who would be going out into the woods. Kassie gave little fight knowing she would cause more harm then good with her arm still out of commission, but Carl on the other hand was furious he was going out to the woods when he could be helping. "Carl" Rick tried but the boy walked right past him.

Rick sighed and turned to check on the car when Glenn walked over to him, "I've never seen him this mad. Even with Lori. He just shut down" Glenn said as he watched Carl.

Rick looked back to his son, "He's still a kid, It's easy to forget" he said lightly as he closed the hood of the car and walked over to another car, he opened the door and looked up at the cat walk. He saw Lori with her hand on her pregnant belly as she watched him, he shook his head slightly before climbing into the car.

Daryl was sat on the ground near his motorcycle with all of his things beside him as Carol walked over to him, "You know, Merle never did nothing like that his whole life" he muttered as he fiddled with a poncho.

"He gave us a chance" Carol said softly before she stuck out her hand to the man, he looked at her for a moment before taking her hand and standing up. She gave him a small smile as she turned to walk away from him, he watched her walk away as he pulled his bag and arrows up and over his shoulder.

Rick was doing a final sweep of the prison when Michonne walked over to the bottom of the stairs, "We're ready" she said as she looked up at Rick. Rick walked down the stairs before coming to a stop beside her when she started talking,
"The deal the Governor offered about me ... you had to think about it. You had to. I get it" she said as they walked slowly beside each other.

"Yeah. I'm sorry. I came real close" he whispered to her.

"But you didn't. She remarked, they walked in silence for a few steps, "I never thanked you" she said softly as they walked side by side.

"For what?" He asked as he closed the gate behind them.

"For getting me out there that day, taking me in" Michonne recounted with a small smile.

Rick looked back to her, "Well, if you didn't have that baby formula, I wouldn't have" he explained looking away from her.

"You could have just taken the formula" Michonne quipped.

Well...must have been something else, then" Rick said as he looked her over, "You know, it was Carl who made the call. He said you belonged here. You're one of us"he said to her with a stern look, "just like the twins- we need you" he whispered making Michonne give a small smile before she walked away from him.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Jackson stoped the car once they were far enough from the prison but not too far that they couldn't help if need be, him and Carl got out of the car to pull the camouflaged tarp over the car as everyone got out. Beth held onto Judith as the sound of cars nearing sounded by them, Kassiopeia's breath caught in her throat as she ducked down with the others. Kassie stared to shake slightly as the cars passed Jackson pulled her next to him "it's okay, they won't get you again" she nodded at his attempt to comfort her but felt her body freeze when she caught a glimpse of Martinez over looking the woods. Kassie watched as he looked around with the others from a military truck,  her heart sunk even deeper when she saw all the familiar faces of people she had been protecting for the last few months. She felt betrayed when she saw everyone coming to destroy her home, the place she was finally safe at where no one would lay their hands on her again- and yet here they were coming to rob her of her happiness once again.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Mason was stood with Glenn and Maggie in riot gear as they waited for everyone to come running out after the firecrackers were set off. They waited for a few more minutes before the "soldiers" came running out, that was when they started shooting at the people below them. People started screaming as they ran, bullets were raining down on the pavement as they shot at people's feet to scare them. One man posted up behind a cabinet as he laid down fire on Glenn, Maggie and Mason as people took the distraction to make a run for the cars.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

The next few minutes were spent in silence when they finally heard the firecrackers going off followed by gun fire, "I should be there" he grumbled as they listened to the guns.

Beth gave him a pitiful look as she held Judith closer to her, "your more help here, just like Jackson is" Carl glared at Hershel making the man feel taken aback at the furious looked directed towards him.

Jax lightly smacked the back of his head, "stop kid, he's right. I couldn't do this alone" Jackson admitted as he adjusted his scythe staff on his back. Carl glared lightly at Jax before rolling his eyes and fiddling with his gun holster.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

"Go. Go, go, go. Go! Move!" People yelled frantically as they made it back to their cars, "hit it, hit it, hit it!" Someone yelled as someone finally got the the big automatic gun that was perched on the military truck, "It's not working!" A man yelled as he tried to shoot the gun but it was jammed or something.

"Go, man!"

"shit! It's jammed!" Someone yelled as they ducked down as bullets whizzed past them.

"Hey! They're not helping anyway. Come on" the governor yelled as he grabbed Martinez as the cars started to pull away and drive out of the prison. The governor jumped into the truck and shot out the window a few times before they sped off after the other cars.

At the sight of them retreating Maggie pulled up the mask on the helmet "We did it?" She called over to Glenn and Mason.

"We did it, Come on down" he announced looking to the woman as they exited their areas.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

The group watched as someone ran through the woods toward them, everyone pulled out their weapons to get ready for a fight. Carl stepped towards the front of the group as the boy neared them, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't shoot!" The boy said as he came to a stop before them with his arms raised.

"Drop the weapon, son" Hershel said as he pointed his own gun at the boy.

He quickly nodded and started to hand his gun over, his behavior seemed quite shady and suspicious, as instead of immediately dropping his weapon, he instead slowly moves towards Carl, "Sure. Here, take it" he said quickly but before Hershel could take the gun Carl shot the kid in the head, Kassie gasped as she had finally recognized who the boy was- it was Jody.

She quickly ran to his side, she dropped to her knees in an attempt to see if he was still alive but slowly looked back up to everyone, "y-you killed him" she whispered her eyes filling with tears.

Carl walked over to her and pulled her up by her arm, she looked him in the eyes and they held eye contact as he spoke, "I did what I had to do" he said sternly as his gaze held nothing but ice.

Kassie pulled her arm away from him and nodded, "you didn't need to do that, you wanted to do that and his blood is on your hands" she spat as she now held a glare towards the boy.

She walked off to the other side of the car to which the boy quickly followed after her and grabbed her arms before pushing her up against the car, "you don't say anything to my dad you got me?!" He spat before he saw the look of pain flash across her features as he realized when he moved him hands he was pushing against her collar bone. He quickly retracted his hands but still stared firmly at her, Kassie nodded once more but this time said nothing as she walked away. Jackson motioned to Carl who begrudgingly moved to help Jax pull the camouflage off the car, they all quickly entered the car in silence as they started back towards the prison. Carl looked to Kassie with weary eyes but she kept her gaze out the window, she could feel his eyes burning into the back of her head but she wanted nothing to do with him.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Mason walked over to Rick, Daryl, Carol, and Michonne with Maggie and Glenn, "We did it,
We drove them out" rick said as he looked to where the cars had fled from.

""We should go after them" Michonne stated as she looked to Rick.

"We should finish it" Daryl said in agreement to what Michonne had said.

Maggie shook her head in protest, "It is finished. Didn't you see them hightail it out of here?" Maggie asked.

"They could regroup" Michonne countered.

"We can't take the chance. He's not gonna stop" Glenn spoke as he looked around the group.

Mason nodded, "They're right, he won't stop until we're dead or gone" he said with a frown.

"We can't keep living like this" Carol said softly.

Maggie looked around in disbelief, "So we take the fight back to Woodbury. We barely made it back last time" she said with a concerned look

Daryl walked forward slightly, "I don't care" he declared looking at Maggie.

Rick breathed out slightly, "Yeah, Let's check on the others. Come on" the man said as they all walked back into the prison. They walked back into the dining area and were alone for a few moments before the back door opened revealing Beth and Judith who were the first to walk back in. Rick walked over to Beth as Judith cooed in the girls arms, he kissed the baby on the head before he walked over to his son.

Rick kneeled down to pull his son into an embrace only for Carl to pull away shortly, "Dad, I'm coming to Woodbury" the boy declared making Kassie roll her eyes.

"Yeah and I want my parents back" she muttered to herself before walking over to the bench to sit down, Mason watched her weirdly before following after her.

"Carl" Rick pleaded as he rose to his feet.

Carl scoffed lightly "Dad, I did my job out there.
Just like all of you. Took out one of the Governor's soldiers" he said almost proudly making Rick look at him.

"One of his soldiers? A kid running away? He stumbled across us" Hershel explained with a frown.

"No, he drew on us" Carl defended.

Mason looked to his sister, "what soldier?" He asked softly but stoped when he saw her eyes filling with tears.

Rick frowned as he watched the twins before looking back to his son, "I'm sorry you had to do that" he said softly.

"It was Jody" Kassie whispered to her brother, his face darkened at the mention of the boy. It was a boy who lived next to the Barns, someone the twins considered a friend. They knew if it came to war they were going to see people they knew but they hopelessly wished for a clean break.

Hershel walked over to Rick, "That kid was scared. He was handing his gun over" he explained as he looked over to the twins for a moment.

Rick just shook his head, "He said he drew. Carl said it was in defense" he defended his son.

"I was there. He didn't have to shoot. He had every reason not to—"

"Maybe it looked like that to you, Hershel—"

"Rick! I'm telling you he gunned that kid down" Hershel hissed before walking over toward the twins, he sat down next to Kassie. Mason had his hand on her shoulder as they looked to the ground, "I'm guessing that boy was your friend" he said in a stark contrast to how he was just talking to Rick.

Kassiopeia nodded slightly as she held back a sob, Hershel lifted his hand to lay on her shoulder but she quickly stood and walked off. "She had this big crush on him- he hardly knew she existed but he was always nice. Even stuck up for us a few times when our foster parents beat on us for too long" Mason said with a small smile as he remembered the nights he would practically breakdown the door to stop them.

Hershel nodded with a small smile, "that's good to know someone stuck up for you kids" he said lightly, "if you two ever need someone to talk to we're here but I am no stranger to a drunk and abusive parental figure" he said before standing back up with the help of his crutches. Mason watched the man walk over to Maggie and Beth who were stood embracing Kassie as she cried into Beth's shoulder. Mason smiled lightly seeing how these people were a lot better than his last group.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Daryl pulled up on his motorcycle, next to Michonne before handing her his crossbow, she walked back over to the car to put the crossbow in. Rick looked back at his son when he decided now was the time to talk to him, he walked over to Michonne and said her name lightly before passing her the gun which she took without question as he walked towards his son. Rick kneeled down to be at eye level with his son, "Hershel told me about the boy you shot" he said lightly.

"He had a gun" Carl retorted bluntly.

"Hmm. Was he handing it over?" Rick asked.

Carl looked down to his father, "He had just attacked us" he snapped.

"Yeah. Yes, he had. Was he handing it over?" Rick asked again in a sterner tone.

"I couldn't take the chance. I didn't kill the walker that killed Dale. Look what happened" Carl defended

"Son, that is not the same thing" Rick snapped.

"You didn't kill Andrew and he came back and killed Mom. You were in a room with the Governor and you let him go. And then he killed Merle. I did what I had to do. Now go. So he doesn't kill any more of us." Carl deadpan as he stood up and dropped something before walking away.

Rick looked to the ground to see his old badge from when he was a police officer, he slowly picked up the badge as he had a conflicted look that crossed his face before he walked back over to the group. "Rick, we're staying" Glenn said as he motioned between him and Maggie, "We don't know where the Governor is. If he comes back, we'll hold him off."

"Just the three of us?" Daryl asked before nodding, "All right."

"I appreciate you staying" Rick said before walking over to the car.

Kassie came running over to the car, "can I come?" She asked as Rick, Michonne and Daryl shared a look, "look I know I'll slow you down but the people are going to need someone they recognize when you kill Philip- Mason already gave me the go ahead all I need is your approval" she said quickly Rick looked back to Michonne who gave a small nod.

Rick looked back to the girl, "fine but you stay at one of our sides no matter what" he demanded lightly making Kassiopeia smile before she climbed into the backseat. Michonne and Rick shared a look before climbing into the car. Everyone gathered around the gate and started to take out walkers as Maggie and Glenn struggled to pull open the busted gate, Daryl was the one to lead the way as Rick followed behind him in his car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.8K 3K 21
βπ’πžπœπ¨π§π π–π’π§πβž ― In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a g...
1.7K 37 37
'you could have died' 'it's not a big deal' *** 'ive been on my own before and its not a big deal.' *** 'you guys are dating?' 'it's not a big deal' ...
1.6K 92 17
Death like a door, To a place we've never been before - Would you live forever, never die? While everything around passes? When the going gets to...
275 3 25
An ex-war hero stumbles upon a guy still dressing as a cop, in a new world where cops and laws don't exist anymore. Now she has to face new emotions...