The Unhappy Heart (Book 1 of...

WhimsiquillWriter tarafından

When Andrea King wished she could disappear from the face of the earth, she hadn't meant it literally. But no... Daha Fazla

Andrea King
1. The Luring of the Woods
2. The Phone Call
3. Anruen
4. The Healer's Home
5. The Wolf
6. The Carpenter
7. The King's Dream
8. The King's Soldiers
9. The Young Soldier
10. Fool's Pass
11. The Hunter
12. The Twins
13. Riddle of the Heart
14. The Imperial Library
15. The Scribe
16. Dagen's Story
17. A Discovery
18. A Confession and a Solution
19. Priscilla, the Retired Healer
21. Alpha of the Mountain Wolves
22. A Reunion of Three
23. Truth and Lies
24. The Broken Bargain
25. The Riddle's Answer
26. A Conscience Awakens
27. Two Old Friends Unite
28. Ghosts of the Past
29. No Greater Love
30. The Hunter
31. The Third Alpha
32. Monsters
33. Home is where the Heart is
34. A New Beginning

20. A Temporary Cure

9 3 0
WhimsiquillWriter tarafından

It was still dark when Andrea wearily opened her eyes. The bed was so warm and soft that it took all her willpower not to roll over and snuggle into the blankets once more. It was funny that something so seemingly simple, could provide a world of security and comfort. Her hands moved over the blanket, feeling the hard work and love that had gone into its making. Harriet had stayed up every night sewing it together while waiting for her return, Hugo had told her in private. He had not mentioned the newly made bedside table, nor the little carving of a calf that lay upon it.

Blinking back the tears that threatened to over spill, Andrea clambered out of bed, grimacing as her bare feet touched the cold floor. She slipped out of the oversized nightgown that had belonged to Harriet and into the pair of clothes that lay on the end of the bed. It felt good to be back into clothes her own size and not into a pair of Dagen's like she had been using the last couple of days. Dagen didn't seem to be one to take care of his clothing, she had noticed. Despite being old and faded, the tunic she now wore was still in good condition, with only one or two patched up holes. They had been Hugo's when he was a young boy, Harriet had told her. He had been a good lad who never got up to mischief. He had even learnt to sew himself, so Harriet need not patch up the holes he might accidentally cause. Andrea smiled fondly, as she slipped her boots on. Standing up, she took one last look about her room.

"I am going to miss you," she whispered. "I am going to miss you a lot."

Her hands lingered over the small table, then coming to a decision, Andrea snatched up the small carving and thrust it into the pocket of her tunic, before replacing it with a note. Quickly, yet silently, she headed to the door and slipped out into the darkness. As she headed passed the kitchen and through the living room, she heard a soft growl. She froze, mid-step, half turning her head to peer into the shadows surrounding her.

"You were really just going to leave like that?" a voice asked, the hurt and betrayal seeping into their tone. "Without a goodbye or explanation?"

Andrea turned slowly to face them. She could make out with some difficulty, the silhouette that sat beside the empty fireplace. "I didn't think you would let me go."

"Is that a bad thing?" Hugo asked, rising from his seat, and coming to stand before her. "There are people who love you dearly, Andrea. Don't let the hurt of those who didn't, make you mistrust those who do."

Andrea bowed her head, the tears finally brimming over and dropping to the floor. "I have been disappointed so many times in my life-" she murmured sorrowfully. "-that...that I can't even give myself the chance to be disappointed anymore. I am really grateful to you and Harriet, but...but I can't believe you. I just can't."

Hugo slipped his hand under her chin and gently tilted her head up. "Andrea," he whispered, his eyes gazing searchingly into her face. "Just believe me this once. I know, trust me, I really do." His hands reached down to take her small ones in a firm grasp. "I don't want to let you go. I would give anything to go with you. But I can't leave Harriet alone. She needs me, more than she would ever like to admit. I have been a very selfish person in my life. But not now. This time, I will let you go. Go fix the wrongs, then go back home, Andrea. As much as we love you, we can never be your home. Go back to your parents. Face them and let them know how they hurt you. Don't let the anger and resentment destroy you." His eyes glimmered with his earnest words Stepping closer, he wrapped his arms tightly around her. "It was not your fault, Andrea. Don't you ever blame yourself for it."

He stepped back and gestured to the door. "Go," he told her. "I will explain to Harriet in the morning. She will probably beat me black and blue for letting you go, but she won't kill me." He shot her a playful smile. "Now go, you little scamp."

Andrea returned the smile, but it half faltered. If only her father had been half the man Hugo was, how different her life might have been. Without another word and without looking back, Andrea darted out the door.

* * * * *

Andrea let out a loud whistle, as she approached the forest's edge to warn Dagen of her coming. She shifted from one foot to the other, restlessly. What if Dagen had left? Surely he had not grown tired of waitng and gone back to the campsite. Andrea didn't know what to do if that was the case. She didn't know her way back through the vast woods. She looked up as a branch rustled, and Dagen emerged from the trees. He walked slowly, his mind seemingly elsewhere as he walked, and his head slightly cocked to one side.

Andrea watched him for a moment, then smiled. "Look!" She exclaimed, holding the small glimmering vial up high.

Dagen finally looked in her direction, his eyes narrowing. "You got it?"

Andrea nodded, her smile faltering. "Yeah, I got it." She hadn't really expected Dagen to be as enthusiastic as her, but she couldn't deny she was disappointed as he gave a curt nod of approval and swung back around.

"Let's get back to the camp then," he murmured.

Andrea said nothing, as she lagged along behind him. Her eyes watched his every movement as he carefully picked his way back through the forest, occasionally stumbling as the roots of the trees grew thicker and higher. She sighed, and shook herself, trying to think of something else. 

She had begun to feel guilty over leaving the healer's home like that. Harriet would be upset, no doubt, but Andrea couldn't help but feel like Harriet had already known. She soon forgot her guilt however, as her gaze turned to the small vial in her hands. Despite her excitement to get the cure back to Felan, she was nervous too. For after Felan took the cure, he would no longer be her little wolf friend, but a human boy. The thought frightened her a little. It had been too dark that night for her to see him clearly and she wandered now, what he would look like and how he would act. It was this that she was still pondering over when they finally came to the camp.

Felan was already waiting for her and he gave a high-pitched whimper to greet her. Andrea grinned, holding the vial up in the air for him to see. Wagging his tail in excitement, he bounded along beside her, into the camp. The twins were there waiting expectantly. Ronan clapped when he saw what she held and even Rodarn gave a small smile. Andrea glanced at Dagen, still half hoping for a word of praise. He said nothing, but his eyes glinted with pleasure. It gave Andrea an uneasy feeling, but she pushed it aside, as she pulled off the cork lid and held it to Felan's muzzle. Then tipping it, she watched the silver contents trickle down the white wolf's throat. Whatever she expected to happen, she wasn't quite sure, but it certainly wasn't what followed.

Felan began breathing heavily and his eyes rolled to the back of his head. Covering her mouth with her hand, Andrea glanced at the others in horror. Even Rodarn looked slightly concerned. The white wolf began cowering away, shaking his head in a horrible jerking manner. Then with a high-pitched squeal, he turned and stumbled away. Andrea went to follow him but Dagen grasped her wrist and pulled her back, gesturing for Ronan to do so instead. The young twin obeyed without hesitation, his body seemingly twisting in on itself, as he changed form. Andrea looked frantically at Dagen but he only shook his head.

"I don't know how he will react," he told her calmly. "The cure is probably paining him as it fights the poison in his blood. I was afraid he would bite you."

"He would never," protested Andrea. But she glanced in the direction he had gone, with fear. "He'll be okay, won't he?"

Dagen nodded. "He may be small, but he's certainly a tough one. He wouldn't have survived all these years alone otherwise."

Andrea nodded with relief, understanding the reason in his words. She followed Dagen back over to the fire where he knelt and began drawing out a map on a patch of cleared earth. 

"Dagen?" 

He grunted in reply which she took as permission to continue. 

"While I was at Harriet's, I was thinking over all that has happened. Something occurred to me and I was wondering if I had guessed right."

Dagen didn't even look at her as he carefully added the details to his rough outline. "And what was that?"

"I was thinking about that day, you brought the twins back to help you. I remembered that when you made me come out of the tree, I saw you had hit your head on a branch while you chased me. Then I also remembered that when you jumped me in wolf form, it wasn't until you were right up in my face that you saw I was just a girl. And the other night when you got caught, it was because you ran into a wall." 

Here, Dagen stopped his drawing and looked up sharply. 

"Ronan told me." Andrea blurted out without thinking.

Dagen narrowed his eyes. "What else did they say?"

"Not much," answered Andrea, intentionally forgetting about the conversation on phobias. "The thing is, I thought about all these things and it bothered me." She paused and took a deep breath. "You are going blind, aren't you?"

The stick fell from Dagen's hand and she heard him give a hard swallow. After a moment of silence, he gave a bitter laugh. 

"Seems you aren't as naïve and stupid as I first thought. Yes, the mighty loner Dagen, is nothing more than a half-blind dog."

Andrea flinched at his hard-cruel words even though they were directed more at himself than her. "Dagen, I'm sorry. I didn't kno-"

"Don't!" he snapped, turning on her. "Just don't. I accepted it long ago and I don't need your pity. It doesn't matter to me. Everyone knows a blind wolf is a dead one."

Andrea went to answer this. To say something that could convince him otherwise. But the words never came for at that moment she heard Ronan hollering to her. Spinning around she saw to her amazement and utter joy, Ronan entering the camp with his arm around the shoulders of a young boy.

Andrea and Dagen slowly headed over to them, both feeling awkward to meet the wolf in his human form. Rodarn approached them too, his feet equally dragging with reluctance. Just as Andrea was, he appeared to be taking in every detail of the human Felan.

The boy was dwarfed next to the large twin, but Andrea knew he was small in general. She stood shyly, her gaze taking him in. His eyes were the same as before, large and brown with a permanent look of curiosity. Like the twins who were Plains wolves, he was tanned and had brown hair albeit darker, that reached his shoulders. His face was a pixie shape and his ears were slightly pointed as were all the werewolves. He gave her a small timid smile.

"Felan is a nice name and I like it. But I am Torrin by birth, or so my mother called me."

Ronan gave him an approving smile. "It's suits as well as Felan did though."

Torrin nodded. "Aye, I suppose it does as I can now inform you that you guessed correctly. My father is Weylin and my grandfather is Ulric. My mother told me to never speak a word of it, but I don't think she could ever have guessed how things would turn out."

Dagen stepped slower to put a hand on the younger boy's shoulder. "Torrin, what happened to her?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Andrea saw Rodarn make a quick movement and glanced at him. The older boy was staring at Torrin, but occasionally looking to his younger twin with concern. He made as if to approach them both, then seemed to think better of it. Andrea frowned, but turned away as Torrin spoke again.

Tears prickled the boy's eyes. "They killed her." He paused, then in detail he explained what had happened that night so long ago. "After marrying Weylin, she lived in the valley in secret, so they wouldn't be caught. But one day, on my seventh birthday, she decided to take me to the city as a treat. I think she often felt bad that I had to spend my childhood with only her and occasionally Weylin as a companion. Little did she know that it would be her death. For in the city she heard for the first time the law that all mages were to be killed on sight. Weylin had never told her for fear of stressing her out, or for fear that she would return to her father's pack. When she heard, she was so distraught that she went straight to the palace and begged the king to withdraw the order. She warned him that if he did not, it would bring about unimaginable consequences that would harm both sides. The king refused to listen and told her to leave immediately. She said something else, but being young at the time and frightened, I don't remember what it was. I only remember he was frightened by what she said and took me as a hostage, telling her to never speak about it. She left, and I never saw her again after that."

He winced as Dagen's fingers tightened, digging into his shoulder. Dagen saw his reaction and stepped back, his arm falling to his side. A hard look had entered his eyes and when he spoke, his voice sounded strained.

"And then? What did he do to you?"

Torrin frowned thoughtfully. "He dragged me down a flight of stairs and into a dark room. There he took up a sword and went to strike me with it. I was scared as I thought he was really going to kill me. But then he dropped the sword on the ground and punched the wall, saying he couldn't do it. I don't really remember what he said. After that, he walked off. He was gone for a long time and I thought...half hoped, that he had forgotten me. But then he returned and forced me to open my mouth and drink a bitter tasting drink. That was when I turned into my wolf form and found I couldn't change back."

Dagen cursed under his breath and turned away as if unable to hear anymore. Andrea watched him go then turned back to Torrin, giving him an encouraging smile.

 Torrin sighed and his brow wrinkled with puzzlement. 

"But then the king knelt down beside me and I remember he patted my head in an almost kind way. 'It's for your own good, little whelp' he told me. 'This is all the mercy I can give you.' Then he had a soldier take me out and dump me in these woods. I managed to survive and then I met you. You know the rest from there."

"So, he did it to give you a chance at survival?" asked Andrea, her eyes wide with wonder.

Torrin nodded. "I believe so. That's what confuses me. He had a strong dark face like that of his kind, and although his eyes were a pale colour, they were warm and kind looking." He gave a small shrug. "But people can change, I guess."

Andrea frowned. Turning away, she walked slowly back to the log and sat down. Torrin followed her, eyes filled with curiosity. Out of habit, he sank down beside her feet, hugging his knees and staring up at her almost shyly. Andrea gave him a fond smile. She had been afraid for nothing. Wolf or human, Torrin was still the Felan she had come to know and love. 

"I was thinking over what you said, Fel- Torrin." She paused and sighed. "I was thinking that if you remember, King Dade as being almost nice, he could have changed. But the fact is, he made the law years before you met him. So, I'm guessing, what if it's all just a misunderstanding. What if he truly thinks mages are evil? Because why would someone just go and make a law like that? Maybe he just needs to see that the mages are really just like everyone else."

Torrin nodded. "That could be true. My mother once told me that although Erlenians are outcasts from all over the world, the majority of them are from Runen, a large country in the north. And Runens are said to have a strong fear of mages. The outcasts could have brought that fear with them."

"So, we might not even need to gather all the wolves, maybe we just have to meet with King Dade and talk with him." Andrea rose to her feet, her heart beating with excitement. 

But Torrin grabbed her hand and shook his head. His eyes had suddenly become frantic and filled with worry.

 "No, Andrea, don't," he implored, tugging her hand. "That is what my mother tried to do. Please, Andrea, don't follow her steps. Don't end up with her fate."

Andrea was stunned by his outburst. Her hand ached from his tight grasp, but she made no move. "Torrin, I-"

He shook his head not letting her finish. "No, Andrea. I can't lose you like I lost her."

Andrea laid her free hand on his. "Alright, I'll try to think of another way. But if there isn't, I'll have to do it, Torrin. For everyone's sake."

"I'd go," protested Torrin.

Andrea said nothing. She knew well, that if it came to it, she would be the only one. The twins would never risk their lives for such a seemingly hopeless cause. Although Dagen was determined in his plan, his weak sight prevented him from taking on any large task. And Torrin was the heir to two packs. He was the wolves' future. No matter how much he wished it, he would never be allowed to risk his life in such a way. It seemed so unfair that she, who had nothing to do with this world would be the only one to fight for it. But if it came down to that, she would do it. For Anruen had given her something her own world had not. It had given her something worth fighting for. Something worth living for. Something worth dying for. It had given her a home. A small healer's house on the edge of the forest with rolling hills all around. It had given her friends. Torrin, Dagen, Hugo, Harriet, even the twins. It had given her an adventure. From waking up in Harriet's home to where she stood right now.

Andrea smiled at Torrin and sunk down on her knees beside him. "I know you would, Torrin. But let's not think about it now. Let's talk about something else."

Torrin nodded, but for a long moment looked unsure of whether to speak or not. Finally, he spoke. "Why didn't you trust me when I was a wolf?"

His quiet words stabbed Andrea like a knife. She had almost forgotten about it. The memory of him being beaten and tightly bound, rushed to her mind and with it came his haunting eyes, confused, and hurt. She slumped back against the log and looked away, unable to meet his gaze.

 "I didn't believe them at first. The soldiers I mean. What they said about you just didn't make any sense. But then they told me you would try to lead me into a cave where you would kill me. And the next time I saw you, you did exactly that. Why were you so persistent anyway?" She turned back to the younger boy with a frown.

Torrin shrugged. "My mother knew how to write, and she tried to teach me a little bit. One full moon, I turned back into my form. It didn't happen often, and it was always when I least expected it. I decided to make use of it and I wrote my name on the cave wall, as well as writing down I was a human. It was more to keep myself from forgetting than anything else. But then I realised I could tell you who I really was. It didn't really go as planned though." His voice faded off and he looked away as if embarrassed.

Andrea stared at him. She realised now with horror that if she had trusted him, she could have found out long ago, who he really was. How much trouble could have been saved if she had simply trusted. 

"Oh Torrin," she whispered, touching his hand. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

He looked up at her, his eyes staring deep into her own. "That's why I never blamed you."

Andrea wasn't sure how to answer this and was rescued by Ronan who suddenly popped his head over the log, startling the two of them.

"Dagen wants you, Andrea. Says it's important."

Andrea nodded and rose to her feet. "I think you should go and rest, Torrin. We'll talk more later." Torrin nodded and Andrea turned to follow Ronan. "What's he want me for?"

Ronan shrugged. "Who knows. Anyway, even if I knew, what would be the point of fetching you, if I told you on the way?"

Andrea glared at him in reply, not being able to give any retort as they had reached Dagen and Rodarn. Both were sitting cross legged on the ground. Between them, sketched into the earth, was a rough copy of the map Dagen had drawn earlier. Dagen and Rodarn looked up at their approach and moved aside to give them room. When Andrea and Ronan had seated themselves, Dagen spoke.

"We finally have Torrin back to his human form. There is now nothing stopping us from putting our plan into action. One of the twins will meet with Ulric, alpha of the plains, while the other stays here with Torrin. Andrea and I will go up the mountains to speak with Weylin. We will tell them what has occurred and ask them to meet us back here where we can then prove to them who Torrin is and discuss the plan of uniting the packs together. If we get that far, I will later go to Therron himself with the two alphas. Presuming all goes well, we can then send a message to the king and tell him that if he refuses to redraw the order he made 17 years ago, he will face the wrath of the three packs joined. What happens after that, can wait."

Andrea shifted uneasily. If King Dade truly believed the mages were dangerous, wouldn't all the threatening only help support that belief. If he did withdraw the order, he only needed to wait until the packs disbanded again and then wipe them out one at a time. Or if he refused from the beginning, there would still be a fight in which one side would suffer grievously. Surely, there was another way. With this in mind, she spoke up, forgetting in that moment what she had promised to Torrin. 

"What if we went to him in person and tried to convince him of his own accord. That way he wouldn't harbor resentful thoughts and plot revenge. But if it doesn't work, we can always go back to the original plan."

"And lose our lives while we are at it," snapped Dagen with sudden ferocity. Even the twins were startled at his outburst.

Andrea looked down at her hands. "I just thought it would be better for everyone in the long run."

"Well, no one asked what you thought. You are too young to understand these matters."

"Dagen," rebuked Rodarn, a frown crossing his face. Dagen had obviously gone way too far in Rodarn's mind as he rarely spoke up for anyone, let alone someone other than his brother. "She may be young, but it does not mean she has no sense. And do not pretend you are older than you are. We all know there is barely two years between the two of you. And as for her opinion, I think she is entitled to one, considering she is part of this group. Who was the one who found the cure for Torrin? It was her. What reason do you have to turn her down like that?"

Dagen said nothing but Andrea noted he gritted his teeth together as if biting down on his anger. After a long silence however, he let out a sigh and turned to face Andrea. 

"Forgive me for what I said. I should not have spoken the way I did. It's just that I don't think you know what we are up against. Do you really think King Dade is going to sit down to a cup of tea and listen to us lecturing him on how he should go about ruling his kingdom? Because he won't. He would kill you before you even got a chance."

Andrea bowed her head. Maybe Dagen was right. Maybe she didn't understand these things. But a part of her rebelled against the thought and she had a bitter feeling something just wasn't right. But she pushed it away and forced herself to listen to Dagen who had begun speaking again.

"We leave tomorrow morning at first light. And we will end this once and for all."

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

2.3K 186 26
Layla has rotten luck when it comes to love but the rest of her life is going well. ... Or at least it was. Layla Takanashi had everything she neede...
183K 9K 51
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
7.5K 265 23
[Gay Romance] Scott White is just waiting until he feels okay again.
4.3K 144 10
My'ke had lived his entire life in the Metkayina clan, where he had learned to hunt, fish and speak the language of the Na'vi. He was content with hi...