The Unhappy Heart (Book 1 of...

Da WhimsiquillWriter

When Andrea King wished she could disappear from the face of the earth, she hadn't meant it literally. But no... Altro

Andrea King
1. The Luring of the Woods
2. The Phone Call
3. Anruen
4. The Healer's Home
5. The Wolf
6. The Carpenter
7. The King's Dream
8. The King's Soldiers
9. The Young Soldier
10. Fool's Pass
11. The Hunter
12. The Twins
13. Riddle of the Heart
14. The Imperial Library
15. The Scribe
16. Dagen's Story
17. A Discovery
19. Priscilla, the Retired Healer
20. A Temporary Cure
21. Alpha of the Mountain Wolves
22. A Reunion of Three
23. Truth and Lies
24. The Broken Bargain
25. The Riddle's Answer
26. A Conscience Awakens
27. Two Old Friends Unite
28. Ghosts of the Past
29. No Greater Love
30. The Hunter
31. The Third Alpha
32. Monsters
33. Home is where the Heart is
34. A New Beginning

18. A Confession and a Solution

10 3 0
Da WhimsiquillWriter

There was a loud joyful bark and Ruffian came bouncing out of the barn, followed close behind by Hugo. Hugo didn't even hesitate. He threw his arms around Andrea, lifting her off the ground and enveloping her in an embrace that almost suffocated and crushed her.

"You little rascal," he scolded, in a voice that broke halfway through. "Harriet and I searched the entire hills for you. We were about to give up on you for good. I prayed every night that it was only because you had returned home again. So, where on earth did you disappear to?"

Andrea squirmed out of his hold and stood panting for breath. Ruffian nuzzled her roughly and her hand moved to pat his large head. 

"It's a long story. Is Harriet in?"

As if on cue, the healer appeared at the door. There was another even longer moment of fussing, and tears were shed on all sides. But finally, Andrea broke away and gestured for Dagen to come down to them. Harriet and Hugo were both startled to see the tall boy approach, and Andrea could not help but notice Hugo was eying him sharply. But Harriet herded them all inside, and sat them down to hear their story.

 Andrea told them everything, but she left out what Dagen had told her in private. Harriet and Hugo were both shocked to hear what had transpired and there was another round of hugs when Andrea had finished.

Harriet however refused to look for the cure straight away and instead set about scraping up a large feast that put even the king's meals to shame. Andrea didn't complain and ate more than Hugo and Harriet put together, while Dagen merely played around with his food, barely touching it. After that, Harriet sent Andrea off to rest in her old room which had been kept tidy in case of her return. Andrea was more than eager to go rest in a decent bed again, but she pulled Harriet aside first.

"Harriet, can you tend to Dagen? He won't tell me what happened, but I know he is hurt."

Harriet smiled at her. "I may be old, but even my eyes were sharp enough to pick up on that. Don't worry, I will tend to him well."

Andrea returned the smile gratefully. "Thank you, Harriet."

Harriet waited to tuck Andrea in, then carefully shut the door behind her. Dagen was wandering awkwardly about the living room, looking restless and on edge. He swung about as he heard her footsteps behind him. They faced each other for a long moment, before Harriet gave him a gentle smile.

"Come sit down and let old Harriet have a look at you," she encouraged, placing her basket of items upon the table.

Dagen edged over, but he did not sit, as he continued to eye Harriet warily. His look pulled at the old healer woman's heart, but she made no fuss over his actions. She simply began laying her ointments out in a row. Dagen finally moved forward, removed his shirt, and sat in the chair. He faced the back, resting his arms over the smooth polished wood. 

Harriet glanced at him. She was not surprised at the bruising or the red welts that lined his back, but more at the fact that it had barely opened the skin. Whoever had dealt his punishment had been extremely lenient with him.

Harriet worked silently; her hands gentle yet quick, well experienced from her years of work. Many praised her for her skill, but it saddened Harriet that there had been so much suffering in the world that she had been able to become as skilled as she was now. A day did not go by where she was not called out several times. Perhaps it was not always a severe case, but there was always some hurt to be mended, both physically and mentally. And Harriet was no miracle healer. There had been many times where she had had to admit her defeat and move on.

She studied the boy as she moved about. His head rested against his arms, his eyes squeezed tightly shut and a frown creasing his brow. And Harriet knew deep down that no matter how precious the ointments she used, or no matter the amount, she could not heal what truly hurt him. The boy did not flinch with the pain that filled his body, because he harboured an even deeper, more hidden suffering. She broke out of her thoughts as Hugo came in the front door, followed by the ever-loyal Ruffian. He looked taken aback at seeing them there and his hard gaze seemed to soften.

But as he sank into the chair by the fireplace, he still continued to study the boy closely. When Harriet finally finished, and Dagen muttered his thanks, Hugo spoke.

"Come here, kiddo."

Dagen turned to him. He walked over slowly, as if hesitant to approach the older man. As he walked past Ruffian who lay stretched out at his master's feet, Dagen accidentally trod on the dog's tail. 

Ruffian reacted aggressively. He sprang to his feet with a loud bark, the hair rising on his neck. Startled by the sudden noise, Dagen leapt back and tripped over Harriet's foot stool. He fell heavily to the ground and scrambled back until he pressed up against the wall. His hands clutched at his head, as he breathed heavily. He had just regained control of himself, when something grabbed his arm. Dagen jolted back, his eyes flashing yellow, and his lips curling back in a snarl. But in the same moment, there was an alarmed cry and whatever held his wrist let go, as someone flung their arms about him. He froze, slowly turning to look up into Andrea's pale face.

"Andrea?" he asked in confusion. His mind seemed hazy and blank.

Andrea just held his gaze long enough to see his eyes settle slowly back to their blue shade, before turning to scold Hugo.

 "Why did you grab him like that? Can't you see that you startled him."

"You didn't tell us he was one of them too," Hugo snapped back at her, gesturing at Dagen. "What else did you leave out? You can't just go trusting everyone you meet, Andrea."

"But-" Andrea went to protest, but Hugo held up his hand cutting her off.

"Go to the barn and play with your calf," he told her. "And take Ruffian with you. I want to talk with him alone."

Andrea glared at him but did as she was told. As she passed Harriet, the old healer gave her a reassuring nod. As soon as she was out the door, Hugo roughly pulled Dagen to his feet and pushed him into the nearest chair.

"Right, now explain yourself. Why is Andrea so important to you and to all of this?"

Dagen scowled at them. "She told you all that. I need her to help unite the mages and people. She is unbiased unlike all others and has quickly made friends with several on both sides. I didn't always mean for it to go this way, but she got herself mixed up when she got the wolf caught. It just went on from there."

"Do you personally know the wolf?" asked Hugo. "You don't seem like the kind to just help anyone."

Dagen fell silent for a moment. He looked down at his hands and the struggle showed upon his face, as he conflicted with himself on how to answer. He gave up with a sigh. 

"I know," he said slowly, choosing his words with care. "I know what it is like to have a beast within me. I know what it is like when you become more beast than human. And I would give anything to change that...to be normal again. But I can't cure what I am. Felan, however can. So, I want to help him." He looked away again, his hands unconsciously picking at the loose threads of his tunic. "I have watched the wolf for many months now. I knew he was different and suspected that perhaps he was more than just an animal. He was struggling to survive when I first met him, perhaps it couldn't even be called surviving. He was basically just skin and bones back then. I left food for him whenever I could spare it. I always wanted to help him."

Hugo nodded, but he was not at all convinced. "So, you have some good Samaritan spirit after all. But what about Andrea? When she told the full story earlier, she let slip that you had been the one to save her. But you were not in sight when I found her lying in the cold. Do you care to explain that?"

Dagen's head shot up and he stared at Hugo. Then as if a wave of shame had washed over him, he turned away. "I was wrong I admit it. I was only in that area as I used the pond for water. When I saw her, I only pulled her out on instinct. But when I stared down at her, I saw it in her face."

Hugo frowned, as he leaned forward. "Saw what?"

Dagen's eyes seemed to glaze over as if thinking back to what he had seen. "That she had given up. She didn't want to be saved, and she had no will left to live."

"So, you left her?" asked Harriet, speaking up for the first time. Her voice was not accusing, just merely as though she was trying to understand.

Dagen looked flustered at her calm reply and refused to meet her gaze. 

Hugo rose to his feet and walked out of the house. He went slowly as one in a daze. Entering the barn, he heard Andrea before seeing her. She was talking animatedly to the small calf, telling it a story as though it truly understood. She broke off, red-faced, as she heard Hugo approach behind her. When Hugo did not return her sheepish smile, she rose awkwardly to her feet as though she were about to dart around him and leave him to himself. But Hugo did not give her the chance. He wrapped his arms around her, enveloping her into a hug. Andrea stiffened but made no move to break away. Just as Dagen had sensed her need, Andrea now sensed Hugo's. She raised her hand and gently patted the older man on the back. To her dismay, the man's shoulders seem to quiver.

"I am so sorry, Andrea," he wept, pulling her even closer. "It was my fault. I was so oblivious. No, not even that. I didn't want to know. I didn't want to think about how it might have been."

Andrea was beyond confused. What was Hugo referring to? Why was he here speaking to her and not to Harriet? What had he done that Andrea might blame him for?

"Hugo, I don't-"

But Hugo cut her off. "Don't go there, Andrea. It is such a dark place inside, I know. And it is so suffocating and scary. But you have to get out of it. It gets better. I promise."

Andrea understood with a heavy heart what Hugo was saying. Her chest felt tight and a hard lump rose in her throat. "I am okay, Hugo. Really I am."

Hugo drew back at her words, his hands falling to rest upon her shoulders. "You don't have to say that. It will only end up overwhelming you." His eyes were so understanding and gentle, that Andrea had to look away. "Did they know?"

Andrea was startled by the sudden question. "Who?"

"Your parents."

Andrea turned away, kicking absent-mindedly at the straw that littered the barn floor. "No, they were never really there for me to talk to. And when they were, they didn't really pay much attention to me. I got the feeling they didn't really love each other. They were always fighting about something."

"I am really sorry, Andrea. You should never have gone through that."

Andrea glanced at him. Hugo truly did seem sorry, even heartbroken by her words. She shrugged. "Whatever. I won't let it bother me anymore. I think we have better things to worry about anyway. Do you reckon Harriet has the potion?"

Hugo quickly wiped his arm over his sleeve, before forcing a smile at her. "Only one way to find out, missy." 

He held out his hand, and with only a moment's hesitation, Andrea took it.

They walked back to the house together. Neither spoke, both comfortable in the companionable silence. When they entered, they saw to their surprise it was only Harriet in sight. She was balancing on an unsteady stool, sorting through the rows of potions.

"Where did the kid go?" asked Hugo, a tint of guilt hidden in his voice.

Harriet shot him a disapproving look. "He decided to go back to the woods and wait for Andrea. But Hugo, your temper, my dear."

Hugo rolled his eyes and threw himself back into his chair.

"Well?" Andrea asked quietly. "Do you have it? The moon-drop potion, I mean?"

Harriet turned around with a sigh. "I'm afraid I have none by that name at the moment. A ship arrives at the harbour within a couple of weeks carrying cargo. There will be some boxes for me. It will most likely be there."

Andrea shook her head. "You don't understand, Harriet. We don't have weeks."

Harriet stepped off the stool and sat down, shaking her head. 

"There's only one other person who could possibly have it. A retired healer who lives on the outskirts of town. She still likes to mess around with potions, though she now mainly sells lucky charms and love potions for a living. They are useless, but a lot of poor fools have fallen for her tricks. She does occasionally sell some of the real stuff and as the moon-drop flowers grow up in the mountains, she may have some left over from last year. The flowers don't bloom for another several months, so I'm afraid she may be your only hope."

"And if she doesn't have any?" asked Andrea, anxiously. "Is there really no other way?"

Harriet shrugged. "The only other way, would be forcing the king himself to give you the cure. You can do this when you go to convince him to change his orders. But you would still need a temporary cure to get the wolves on your side in the first place though."

"Well, I'll try this retired healer. Can you tell me where she lives?"

Harriet nodded. "Alright. Hugo, you go ready the wagon."

"You are both coming too?" Andrea asked in surprise.

Harriet gave her a grim smile. 

"I'm afraid the old witch won't see it beneath her to trick a young girl like yourself. I want to make sure she does not try to rob you."

Although the words did not see comforting or encouraging, Andrea's heart grew lighter.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

62.9K 7.7K 38
کچێک لە تەمەنێکی بچوک بەزۆر دەبێت بە سۆزانی کەسێک،٫،٫،٫
845K 29.2K 104
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...
896 153 53
When you're reading, you could imagine it as anime. Well most likely an anime dream. 😆 Be intrigued in the world of demons and love (bad combination...
47.9K 1.8K 20
"Imagine a world without Love, see how we'll all survive." -Monica Blue w a r n i n g: cringey ⚠️Honestly, I really don't like this bo...