Cowboys and Angels

By TheQuietHufflepuff

The angels have fallen and the sacrifices threaten Sam's life. And one makes a decision that can only end poo... More

Aesthetic
Epigraph
Season Nine
01. I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here
02. I'm No Angel
03. Heaven Can't Wait
04. Holy Terror
05. Road Trip
06. First Born
07. Captives
08. Meta Fiction
09. King of the Damned
10. Stairway to Heaven
11. Do You Believe in Miracles?
Season Ten
12. Black
13. Reichenbach
14. Soul Survivor
15. Girls, Girls, Girls
16. The Things We Left Behind
17. The Hunter Games
18. The Executioner's Song
19. Inside Man
20. Book of the Damned
21. Angel Heart
22. Dark Dynasty
23. The Prisoner
24. Brother's Keeper
Season Eleven
25. Out of the Darkness, Into the Fire
26. Form and Void
27. The Bad Seed
28. Our Little World
29. The Devil in the Details
30. Into the Mystic
31. The Vessel
32. Beyond the Mat
33. Hell's Angel
34. All in the Family
36. Alpha and Omega
Book Four

35. We Happy Few

26 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

INT. BUNKER - MAIN ROOM

A seemingly calmer Lucifer strolled through the room with a book, flipping pages with studied nonchalance.

"So where were you?" Lucifer asked Chuck without looking up.

"That's a... long story," Chuck replied. "How do you feel? I healed you."

"Mm. Yeah. Didn't ask you to."

"Son, be reasonable."

"One cosmic Band-Aid on my knee and what, you think we're, we're even now?" She looked up. "Is it time for us to go play catch in the backyard?" A door opened and Lucifer looked back to her book. "Screw you."

"Guys?" Dean called as he and Sam entered through the front door, upstairs.

"Hey, how's it goin' in here?" Sam asked as they headed down the stairs.

Chuck spoke to Lucifer. "Listen, I know I've been gone for awhile." Sam and Dean put their bags down with quiet rustles and clinks. "I've missed a few... million... birthdays-"

Lucifer cut him off. "Yeah, and the second your apes send a distress flare, boom. Daddy's home."

"That's not what happened."

"Hey, these apes saved your ass," Dean retorted.

Lucifer scowled and snapped her fingers. Sam and Dean looked sick, but quickly realized nothing had happened.

Chuck shook his head. "She can't hurt you."

"Oh, so you're controlling me now!" Lucifer cried.

"It's just a safeguard."

Lucifer stared at Chuck, incensed.

"Hey guys?" Sam called. "Uh, Chuck? Lucifer... uh, Dean... Think we can try and focus here? Y'know, end of the world, common enemy, all that?"

Lucifer slammed the book shut and stood. "Enemy of my enemy is my friend." She stood in front of Chuck. "Team Amara. Go Amara."

"You don't mean that," Chuck said.

"You're really not gonna say it."

Lucifer and Chuck regarded one another. Chuck blinked, but didn't look away.

"She's not gonna say what?" Sam asked.

Lucifer spoke to Chuck. "Screw you." She spoke to Sam and Dean. "Screw all of you." She stormed out between the Winchesters.

When Lucifer left the room, Chuck huffed and began leaving the room, turning back to the Winchesters and saying, "Kids, huh."

Sam and Dean gaped and shook their heads.

HALLWAY

Loud muffled rock music played. Sam and Dean stood in front of a closed door.

Sam banged on the door and yelled, "Lucifer! Y'know, sometime you're gonna have to come out and... talk to... God." There was no answer and Sam threw up his hands.

"It's like the worst episode of Full House ever," Dean commented.

The music stopped and Lucifer yelled through the door, "If Dad has something to say to me, I'll hear it from him! Until then, I'll be in my room."

"It-" Sam began abortively as the music resumed, louder.

"It's not your room," Dean told Lucifer.

"It's my room." He banged a few more times and there was no answer.

"Whatever."

The two walked away.

HELL - MEETING ROOM

Crowley spoke. "We can do this. Lucifer stole the throne, but his authority weakens the longer he's MIA." He addressed demons who were at a table holding printouts of graphs. "The time is ripe for a coup. That's why I brought you here." He began circling the table. "Together, we can reclaim the throne. Together, we can make Hell great again." The demons snickered, one more loudly. "Of course, I'll need your help recruiting others. When the numbers are in our favor, we'll strike, and each and every one of you will have earned a place at my side."

The giggling demon laughed even louder and the leader demon said, "Told you he'd do this."

"He? Do what."

"What you always do." Crowley's eyes narrowed. "Promise a return to Hell's former glory. Promises you never make good on. How about a run-down of your recent rule? First, you were Rowena's bitch."

"Then the Winchesters'," the giggling demon added.

"Then Amara's, then Lucifer's." The other seed demons exchanged amused glances. "A few weeks ago, you wee cleaning these floors," he looked up with a sneer, "with your tongue." The demons stood. "We could retake Hell. But why bother?" They began leaving. "The world's ending, and this time, Hell's ending with it."

Crowley was still standing at the table. The leader demon turned back as the others left around him and the leader demon continued. "Unless... you've got a plan to defeat the Darkness?" Crowley stared at him. "Then this is just more of the same." He bowed with a mocking flourish. "King Crowley's bad dinner theatre."

"If that's the way you feel, why did you show?" Crowley questioned.

"We wanted to see the monkey dance. One last time." He left.

Crowley stood pensively at the table.

INT. BUNKER - KITCHEN

Pancakes were being cooked on a griddle.

"Talk to him, her, whatever," Sam said.

Chuck, who was making pancakes, the Winchesters at the table behind him, replied, "Won't do any good."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't give him what he wants."

"And what's that?" Dean asked.

"What everyone wants. My sister, my children, you humans - an apology. A big, wet "I'm sorry.""

"Well, so give it to him. It's not like he's askin' for a weapon, or for Hell, or for Heaven. He's askin' for words."

"I can't say I'm sorry if I'm not." He placed plates of pancakes in front of Sam and Dean. "What he wants an apology for, I did it for humanity. For the world. Look, Lucifer wants what everybody wants: Amara got. 'kay? Let's just give him a little time to cool off." He sipped from a mug labeled WORLD'S GREATEST DAD.

Dean narrowed his eyes. "Okay, well, I don't know if you've noticed, but a little time is not something that we have. The end is friggin' nigh."

Thunder rumbled.

EXT. CABIN - GRAND ISLE, LOUISIANA

Insects hummed around a cabin in the bayou. Smoke billowed from its chimney.

INT. CABIN

Clea sat at a table strewn with candles and other objects, holding a deck of cards. She laid one down, her brow furrowing. "Hm." She flipped over another card, then laid down a card to complete the spread and glanced over her shoulder. "Rowena. Door's not locked."

The front door opened and Rowena entered.

"What all that astral projection bull for?" Clea asked.

"We're hardly on the best of terms, Clea," Rowena replied. "Before barging in, I just wanted to check for hex bags, or a-" Clea pulled an old pistol from under the table and leveled it at Rowena, "-that."

"Whatchu want?"

"I'm working on a spell, it requires a second."

Clea laughed. "Second. Why don't you ask Charise, or Melody, or Thomasine? Oh yeah, you torched them all in one of your impetuous little fits."

"The world's ending, Clea."

Clea glanced down at her tarot spread, which had seven copies of the Death card. "Well, duh." She gestured to the spread, de-cocking the pistol and Rowena gingerly sat in the chair next to her. "End times shouldn't bother you though, Ro, you a rat. Find your way off any sinkin' ship."

"Damn right. The spell I'm working on is Book of the Damned magic, and it can get us back. We can buy ourselves a few more centuries of life. Turn back to clock for us before the world inevitably goes," she singsonged, ""bye-bye.""

"You scared."

"Aye. I came face-to-face with the Darkness. The Apocalypse bell's been rung a few times in our day, but when I looked inside her, I saw it. Not just the end of the world, Heaven and Hell. The end of magic."

"Greek Antiquity. Or no deal."

"Middle Ages. I know, not the best time to be a witch."

"Or a black woman."

"And the Greek age was better?"

"I'm a fan of the classics. I'll make it work."

"Deal."

BUNKER

Sam, Dean and Lucifer approached the two chairs in the telescope room. Chuck was already sitting in one chair. Lucifer took the other.

"One of you is gonna have to, uh, go first," Sam told them. "You know what? Lucifer, you agreed to have a sit down if God would show, so-" He gestured to Chuck.

"And Chuck, you did say you'd talk," Dean reminded him.

"Him first," Lucifer said. "I'm the one who's owed an explanation."

Chuck let out an aggravated little sigh, but said nothing.

"Okay, let's try 'I feel' statements," Dean suggested, turning to his brother. "Doctor Phil." Sam shrugged. "Eh?"

"Ah, yeah. Of course," Sam agreed as the brothers sat awkwardly on the steps to the telescope.

Chuck spoke to Lucifer. "I am... sorry? That you feel I betrayed you. That I acted without cause." Lucifer shook his head. "I'm sorry that you can't see you gave me no choice." He looked to the Winchesters. "I'm good."

Lucifer turned to the Winchesters. "You heard that, right?"

Sam said to Chuck, "We all know that you are God, but maybe you could be a little less 'Lordly'?"

Chuck frowned. "But I am - I am the Lord."

"Wow," Lucifer commented. "There he goes."

"I did what I had to do! To create the world, I had to lock Amara away. And when the Mark corrupted you, and I saw you posed a threat to humankind, I did the same with you."

"No, you betrayed me. You gave me the Mark to lock her away, and when it changed me - when it did what the Mark inevitably does - you threw me away."

"No, son. The Mark-" He paused. "You always cast a jaundiced glance at humans. The Mark didn't change you. It just made you more of what you already were."

"What I was, was your son. Your child."

"Why should I put you first above all the others?"

Lucifer looked to the trio again. "You have any idea what it's like to argue with your father when your father is God?" He looked back at Chuck. "Everything is a tautology with you. Everything is "Because I told you so." Everything's, "It had to be done.""

"Pretty sure that's all fathers," Dean said.

Sam cleared his throat in a warning and Dean waved him off.

Lucifer continued. "Okay, fine." He sat up straighter. "Big picture, as God. You did what you had to do. But little picture? You sucked at being a dad."

"Okay, maybe I didn't handle everything perfectly," Chuck replied. "But tell me: could I have kept humankind safe with you on board?" Lucifer stared. "I know about your little bid to replace me with the new angels. Okay, 'New God,' what would you have done about you?"

"That is not the point."

"I-I can't believe I'm actually about to say this, but... um. Lucifer is right," Sam said, causing Chuck to look at him. "All he wants is an apology, and you're too concerned about being right to give him one. But apologies aren't always about being right. Sometimes they're just about apologizing."

"Yeah, and the great thing about apologies is you don't even have to mean 'em," Dean added. "Y'know, I lie and tell Sam I'm sorry all the time." Sam turned and leveled look at him and Dean muttered, "Sorry." He brightened. "See? That's. Heh."

"Enough from the peanut gallery," Chuck told them, waving his hand and Sam and Dean were deposited unceremoniously in two chairs, which were in the chess nook upstairs.

"What?" Chuck asked. "What would you have done?"

"It doesn't matter," Lucifer replied. "You are my father and you forsook me."

"I did. I was supposed to love all creation equally. I wasn't supposed to have favorites. But you... You were mine. I gave you the Mark because I loved you the most, because I thought you were strong enough to bear it. And when I saw that I was wrong... When I watched my choice devour my most cherished son, I hated myself, and so I punished you. And I am so sorry."

Sam and Dean rose from their chairs and walked to the railing as Chuck and Lucifer emerged from the room downstairs, a grin on Lucifer's face.

"Hey," Sam greeted.

"So... are we good?" Dean asked. Lucifer and Chuck nodded to one another, then to the Winchesters. "Okay! Great."

"So what now?"

"We trap Amara," Chuck said. "Put her back in the box."

Dean frowned. "Wait, what?"

"Yeah. Well, you were right. She needs to be destroyed. But I won't kill her."

"Why not?"

"Amara's been caged for billions of years, but y'know, she was always there. She had to be there. Y'know, yin and yang. Dark and light."

"English, Chuck."

Chuck let out an exasperated huff, waved a hand and the Winchesters were downstairs. "There's a harmony, a balance, in the universe. Light needs dark. Dark needs light. If you blow one of them up, then, I mean-"

"It really wouldn't be a good thing," Lucifer finished.

"It'd be a really not good thing. Like 'end of reality' not good."

"Okay, so we gift-wrap Amara," Sam suggested. "I mean, we got the team back together, so-"

"Not quite. We're still a few members short of the original line-up."

"Yeah, first time it took the combined strength of me, my brothers to weaken Amara before Daddy-O finished her off," Lucifer informed.

"Even then it was close. Now with just the two of us, we'll lose."

"Okay, so what?" Dean wondered. "We need more, uh, group therapy between you and the archangels if we wanna have a shot?"

"Well, Michael's in no condition to fight, and it's outside of my power to bring Gabriel and Raphael back."

"But you restored Castiel," Sam reminded him.

"Archangels are different. They're the stuff of primordial creature. Rebuilding them, that's - It's time we don't have."

"So what do you need to win?"

"Whaddya got?"

"So what do we bring to the table to make up for archangel power?" Chuck asked.

"We could try and find more Hands of God," Sam suggested.

Chuck held up his hands. "A little redundant."

"What about Crowley?" Dean suggested. "Big demon power, former king of Hell. He was a player in his day."

INT. HELL - THRONE ROOM

Crowley sat on his throne, drinking from a rocks glass and asked, "Stealing my moves, Dean?" After a moment, he walked from behind a pillar. "Let me guess. You got Lucifer back in the fold. He snapped you here."

"No, it wasn't Lucifer," Dean told him. Crowley shrugged and went to take a sip, but Dean took the glass. "Ah-ah-ah. It's time to sober up. You smell like a dumpster outside the Liquor Barn."

"What's this? Concern for me? I appreciate your attempts at bro-mantic rekindling. But I think we both agree that ship has sailed."

"That's not what this is about. We need your help."

INT. BUNKER

Lucifer leaned back in a chair and said, "We have the angels."

INT. HEAVEN - HALLWAY

"And here I thought I had made real inroads with you guys," Lucifer stated.

"You thought wrong, Serpent," Angel Two retorted.

"Serpent."

"We loathe you. We'll always loathe you."

"Welp, I came here to ask a good-faith favor of you folks, but as you are clearly less than kindly indisposed, perhaps you'll, uh, lend an ear to my very own Jiminy Cricket. Hmm?"

"Hello, brothers. Sisters," Castiel greeted.

"Castiel?" Angel One questioned.

"It's me."

Angel Two frowned. "Do you think we see any daylight between you and the Adversary?"

INT. BUNKER

"Rowena," Sam said. "I mean, she's a snake, but she's a powerful witch."

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

Rowena placed two small skulls atop a map with other bones.

Sam voiced, "And she's got the Book of the Damned."

"We've got the owl feather and the yarrow root," Rowena said.

"Check and check," Clea noted.

"Jaw of pig?"

"Check," Sam stated as he grabbed a jawbone.

"What are you two doing here, Giant? Give it!"

"Not till we've talked."

"You two walked right into a powerful coven-"

"Ah, takes three for a powerful coven," Clea reminded Rowena.

"-witches' den without a weapon. I'll turn you into a moose. An actual moose."

"You can't," Sam told her.

"Read his aura," Clea noted. "He's under some potent protection. Never seen that before." She shrugged. "Hear the man out."

"Well?" Rowena pressed.

"We need you," Sam said.

INT. BUNKER

"Getting these groups to enlist and then work together, it's not gonna be easy," Sam warned.

Dean frowned. "Couldn't you just compel them?"

"I invented free will for a reason," Chuck answered.

"So we're tying our hands on principle?"

"No, you can't make an effective soldier by force. They have to choose this fight."

"But they're gonna want to know they're backing a winner."

Lucifer indicated Chuck. "So..."

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

"So," Sam began, looking at Rowena. "We're gonna play the God card."

Rowena laughed. "God's back. You've tricked me before, Samuel. Why would I believe a word you say?"

"It would explain that aura of protection," Clea noted. "Not no regular magic."

"Clea, dear, is this how it's going to be with us in Crete?" Clea rolled her eyes as Rowena turned to Sam. "Even if God's back, why would I care? Hello, pagan here. I serve magic, not God." She snatched the jawbone from Sam. "Sorry. Not interested."

"I am." She looked at Rowena. "What? I can't serve both?"

INT. HEAVEN - HALLWAY

"Let's hear it from Him," Angel Two said.

"In good time," Castiel replied. "Do I have your support?"

"I can't even looked at you, Castiel. You befouled yourself with the Deceiver."

"You know, every second that I've spent subordinating myself to Lucifer, it's been a torment. It's destroying me, it's burning through my vessel. But I would do it all over again, because through me, he and God, they will defeat the Darkness. That's my role in this fight. It's God's fight. You can play a part in that fight too, if you join me."

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

"No," Rowena said.

Clea looked at her. "Ro, you brought me a plan to escape. This here's an opportunity to fight and win."

"She's right," Sam agreed.

"Nobody's talking to you, big and tall, tall lady," Rowena retorted.

"I can enlist others," Clea told them. "Sister witches."

"You're mad. We don't stand a chance against Amara!"

"Rowena, honey?" She showed Rowena the Sun card she'd just drawn. "There is a chance."

INT. HELL - THRONE ROOM

"Game of Thrones," Crowley said. "It's musical chairs. Still, I wanted it - to go out with the crown on my head!"

"And that's what you offered them, a chance to stroke your ego?" Dean countered. "And you wonder why they said no. Well, we've got something better - a plan. Now, you can sit on the sidelines and watch the world die, or you can fight." Crowley considered his words. "You know, to be king again, maybe you need to remember how to be a soldier."

"What's the plan?"

INT. BUNKER - SITUATION ROOM

"We assemble our band of brothers, hit Amara with everything we've got," Sam explained. "Then when she's weak-" He gestured to Chuck.

"I finish her off," Chuck said.

"So, a page from the original playbook. This time with witches and demons subbing for archangels."

"Exactly," Lucifer agreed.

"I still don't like it," Dean stated, causing the others to look at him. "But - why trap her when you can kill her, you know? I-I mean, you got to admit, there's a lot less room for error if you shoot to kill."

"I explained why," Chuck reminded him.

"Right, but why keep her in play? So she can escape and we can go through this all over again?"

"Dean, what is this about?" Sam wondered.

"I - Nothing. Am I the only one thinking rational here?"

"It's about her, Sam," Lucifer informed. "Sam, it's about his girlfriend."

"Okay. Shut up," Dean retorted. "My wife is here, need I remind you."

"I mean, think about it. Dean Winchester meets the biggest evil in the universe, and he takes a pass? Come on. Now he wants Daddy to do what he couldn't."

"Is he right?" Sam asked.

"Oh, I'm not getting into it with him," Dean said. "Not gonna happen."

"Hey, Dean," Lucifer called. "Come on, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. We opened a vein for you two."

"I tried to kill her." Dean stabbed Amara and the blade shattered. "And it didn't work."

"Maybe it didn't work because you didn't want it to work," Chuck guessed. "Maybe you didn't want to kill her."

Sam frowned. "You want God to kill Amara because you don't want Amara to be killed."

Dean glanced at him. "Yeah, maybe there's a part of me that just can't hurt her. But if she's already dead-"

"Then she's already dead. Right."

"Well, that got weird," Lucifer commented.

"Dean... We always sweat this stuff, these choices. But, for once, we have God on our side. I mean, for once, we can actually just do things his way." Chuck opened his hands.

INT. HEAVE - HALLWAY

"That's-" Angel Two began.

"That's a very simple plan," Angel One finished.

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

"Simple bordering on insane," Rowena stated.

INT. HELL - THRONE ROOM

"It's suicide," Crowley said.

INT. HEAVEN - HALLWAY

"That's right," Castiel confirmed.

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

Sam looked at Rowena and asked, "Still in?"

INT. BUNKER

"Let's go," Dean told the others.

EXT. DONATELLO'S HOUSE

Screams sounded, growing louder.

Amara threw Donatello across his study into a bookshelf.

"No!" Donatello cried. "Please! I don't know anything. I've only been a prophet for three days!"

"But you know where he is." She knelt in front of him.

"I won't tell you."

Amara smiled. "You won't have to." She consumed his soul. "Kansas."

INT. BUNKER - SITUATION ROOM

A low rumble built rapidly. Chuck's mug rattled on the table. One by one, the wards set into the walls of the bunker flared, and failed. With a thunderclap, Amara appeared on the table. She kicked the mug off the table and it shattered on the ground.

HALLWAY

Amara headed downstairs.

INT. ABANDONED POWER PLANT

Rowena entered. Sam, Dean, Crowley and Lucifer were already there.

Crowley said to Lucifer, "I don't hold grudges. Besides, that dog collar was a lovely touch, really made my eyes pop. Almost wore it here today."

"Oh, I'm glad you're such a good sport," Lucifer replied, turning to Rowena. "Hey, Red. Looking gorgeous as ever. Hey, I think a little apology is in order."

"You think you're the first man disguised as a woman to try and kill me?" Rowena shot back, causing Crowley to roll his eyes. "Hello, Fergus."

"Mother," Crowley said.

Chuck appeared in a blaze of light. "Hello, my children."

"Him?"

"Rowena. Crowley. It's good to finally meet you in person."

"Sorry about, well, everyone I've ever done in my life," Rowena apologized. "Really, y-you can't have been a fan."

"Oh, yeah, I've been quietly rooting against you both for some time now. Although, I can't deny you're one of my guilty pleasures."

Rowena giggled. "Oh, God."

Crowley scoffed. "Oh, God."

Dean frowned. "All right, no flirting. And no fighting."

"Yeah, and no deals," Sam added. "No talks about who is owed what if we survive this."

"Nobody likes each other. It doesn't matter."

"We only have the fight ahead."

"Amara's looking for me," Chuck told them. "But I'm warded against her, for now. The second I drop the warding, she'll show. She'll be expecting a fight, and we'll give it to her. Shock and awe. Shock, and awe. You have your troops in position?" Rowena raised her hand and Chuck cleared his throat. "Yes, Rowena?"

"Fabulous plan, God, but doesn't this strategy strike anyone as a wee bit un-strategic?" Rowena questioned. "Shouldn't we at least try to catch her off guard?"

"Is that sequence set in stone?" Crowley asked. "Demon, angel, with power? Seems to me that the first response should come from the most disposable force."

"Right!" Lucifer exclaimed. "The weakest should go first. Naturally, that means the witches."

"Enough," Sam warned.

"After that, it's Lucifer's turn," Chuck said. "Physical attack. One-on-one."

"What about Cas?" Dean asked.

"Oh, don't worry. Your pet's safety is my highest concern," Lucifer replied, earning a glare from Dean and rolled his eyes. "Trust me, he's on board."

Chuck continued. "Once she's been weakened, I will take the Mark back from Amara and use it to seal her away. You ready?"

"Yeah," Sam replied.

"Wait, what?" Dean questioned.

"God and I talked about this. Someone needs to bear the Mark."

"Well, that should be me," Dean reasoned. "I-I've had it before. I'm damaged goods."

"Exactly," Chuck said. "You've already been tainted. I can't transfer it to you. Sam volunteered."

Dean glanced at Sam, then yanked on his arm to talk with him some feet away. Dean spoke. "First Cas is making kamikaze side plans, and now you? You couldn't have talked to me?"

"We did talk," Sam told him.

"And when happens when the Mark turns you psycho, then what?"

"You lock me up where I can't hurt anyone and you throw away the key."

"Sam, no."

"Dean, you told me you couldn't beat Amara, that it would have to be me. Well, this is it - me."

Lucifer said to Crowley, "I'm just saying, angels can hurt her. It's worked before."

"If you call giving Amara a mild case of the pukes working," Crowley retorted.

"We're trying to disorientate her as much as hurt her," Rowena reminded them. "You underestimate witchcraft, Fergus, always have."

"If anything, she's inoculated. Full-scale demon attack. That's our X-factor." Lucifer laughed.

Sam spoke to his brother quietly. "We talked about this. It's time to do the smart thing."

"So, what am I supposed do, just sit by and watch?" Dean questioned.

"No. We're both in this fight. You're leading this army."

"Oh, you mean babysitting the bad guys?"

Sam huffed out a laugh.

"Okay, Sam," Dean agreed. "Okay. God's plan."

INT. BUNKER - DEAN AND KENNEDY'S ROOM

Amara rifled through Dean's things. She found a framed photo of him and Mary.

A presence flowed down the hall and in through the doorway.

Rowena's voice emanated from seemingly nowhere and singsonged, "Hello, Amara."

"Hello, witch," Amara greeted. "How did you find me?"

Rowena's eyes were rolled back. "Been inside your head once before. Easy enough to find my way back. Take it you're looking for God? Well, I'm with him right now." Chuck looked down to find Rowena eyeing him. She left the power plant via a side door.

EXT. ABANDONED POWER PLANT

A few old cars sat rusting, along with a row of generators. Rowena peered around.

"He's here," Amara said.

"Yes," Rowena replied. "Right inside." She stepped forward. "Our deal hold? Safe passage back in time? I went out on a limb for you - betrayed God, of all people."

"You didn't betray God. You betrayed me."

Chuck smiled knowingly at Rowena.

Amara continued. "I knew this was a trap the moment you called. I didn't care. All I've ever wanted is a one-on-one with my brother. And you've just given it to me. The question is how am I going to repay you."

Rowena hurled magic and yelled, "Attenuare!"

"That," Amara scoffed, "tickles. Do you really think the power of one witch can hurt me?"

"I'm not just one witch."

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

Clea and two other witches cast the same spell at a bowl containing an effigy of Amara. Purplish flames engulfed the bowl.

"Attneuare!" the witches cried. "Attenuare!"

Rowena screamed the spell and the witches chanted it, while another witch was off to the side beating drums.

"Attenuare! Attenuare!"

"Enough," Amara said, casting the spell back at Rowena, throwing her to the ground. The spell recoiled back to the other four witches. Their eyes burned out with a purplish light.

EXT. CLEA'S CABIN

The purple light faded.

INT. CLEA'S CABIN

The four corpses smoked.

EXT. ABANDONED POWER PLANT

"Points for trying," Amara commented as thunder rolled overhead and electricity crackled in rolling black clouds.

Amara chuckled and opened her arms wide, screaming as a bolt of energy slammed down on top of her. Light washed over Rowena on the ground.

INT. ABANDONED POWER PLANT

The building shook and everyone glanced around.

OUTSIDE

From all directions, demons poured in, twisting smoky runnels that headed straight for Amara. She bat at them and shouted. All the lights in the place blew out.

INSIDE

Inside, Sam ducked when sparks rained down behind him.

OUTSIDE

The demons lifted Amara into the air, surrounding her and buffeting her.

"No! Get back! No!" Amara cried, screaming in rage and the building shook.

INSIDE

Lucifer looked a little worried as everyone listened intently.

OUTSIDE

Crowley walked outside and left his vessel to join the fight, crimson among black. His struck knocked Amara from the cloud of demons and into the side of a car. She landed hard, totaling the car.

INSIDE

Silence fell. Amara staggered through the door, breathing heavily. Dean moved towards her automatically, but Sam stopped him.

"Hello, brother," Amara greeted, panting. "You cheated. Again. But-"

With a yell, Lucifer charged up behind her and speared her through, causing Amara to cry out. He pulled the spear out and she fell, but before Lucifer could stab her again, Chuck shouted, "Ah! Son."

Amara whimpered as Lucifer backed off.

"I'm sorry," Chuck apologized. "For this, for everything."

"An apology at last," Amara replied, breathing heavily. "What's sorry to me? I spent millions of years crammed into that cage alone and afraid-" as she spoke, Dean had to close his eyes as he shook his head, "-wishing, begging for death because of you! And what was my crime, brother?"

"The world needed to be born! And you wouldn't let me! Amara, you give me no choice."

"That's your story. Not mine. The real reason you banished me, why I couldn't be allowed to exist you couldn't stand it. Yeah, we're equals. We weren't great or powerful because we stood only in relation to each other. You think you made the archangels to bring light? No. You made them to create lesser beings, to make you large." She struggled to her feet. "To make you Lord. It was ego! You wanted to be big!"

"That's true." He stood. "But it isn't the whole truth. there's a value, a glory in creation that's greater and truer than my pride or my ego. Call it grace, call it being! Whatever it is, it didn't come from my hands. It was there waiting to be born. It just is, as you and I just were. Since you've been freed, I know that you've seen it." He glanced, then nodded at Dean. "Felt it."

In growing disbelief, Amara looked over at Dean, who looked down.

"It didn't have to be like this," Amara said. "I loved you, brother." Chuck looked remorseful and Amara laughed bitterly. "Well, you've won again." She sighed heavily. "Finish it. Kill me."

"I'm sorry."

She looked down in shock as the Mark began burning away from her chest. "No. No! No!"

Sam grunted in pain as the Mark transferred to him.

"I'm so sorry," Chuck apologized again.

"No. Not again!" She lunged forward, grabbing Chuck by the throat and hoisted him aloft. "Not ever again!" With her power, she hung him up higher, choking him in midair.

Yelling, Lucifer charged her from behind again, but Amara flung her hard against a support pillar across the room.

"Goodbye, nephew," Amara said, banishing Lucifer.

Castiel slumped unconscious to the floor.

"Cas!" Dean called, rushing Amara, but she flung him away without effort.

Amara spoke over Chuck's choking sounds. "I'd die a million times and murder you a million more before going back there!" The Mark began fading from Sam's arm and returned to Amara's shoulder. "Tell me if you won't change, why should I?" Black tendrils began rising from the floor.

"Amara, no!"

Amara spared them a glance, but wrenched her focus back to Chuck. The black tendrils hit him again and each wound a spot of brilliant light.

"Sorry, brother."

Chuck shined bright and brighter, until Sam and Dean had to look away. Chuck's body thudded to they floor. They looked, then stared in horror. Chuck was motionless.

OUTSIDE

The sun rose, tinting the scene of destruction outside a rosy hue. Just outside the blackened spot where the angel smiting occurred, Rowena was sprawled where Amara threw her. A wind blew into the alley.

INSIDE

Dean grunted and he said, "No. Amara, what have you done?"

"He's dead," Sam realized. "God's dead."

"No. He's dying," Amara corrected.

OUTSIDE

Rowena gasped awake.

INSIDE

Amara continued. "My brother will dim and fade away into nothing."

OUTSIDE

Rowena staggered to her feet. The sun was no longer just rosy, tinting the sky purple.

INSIDE

"But not until he sees what comes next. Not until he watches this world, everything he created, everything he loves turn to ash."

OUTSIDE

Rowena turned, lifting a hand to shield her eyes

INSIDE

"Welcome to the end." Amara disappeared.

OUTSIDE

Rowena slowly lowered her hand, looking up.

INSIDE

The brothers were still dumbstruck and Chuck was unconscious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 25 32
After a year of living an apple-pie life, Dean is back. Castiel is hiding something and once the truth gets out, things will get ugly. It's a whole...
11.8K 698 23
Sam and Dean Winchester. Two of the most feared hunters on the planet. Castiel Novak. The most bad-assiest angel in Heaven. Together their team is c...
2.7K 49 18
All Shiri knew was she had to run. That was the last thing her mother had told her. When Sam finds the little girl while trying to find a way to save...
4.6K 311 15
Dean Winchester opens his eyes and he's a demon. Taking place after the season finale, Dean Winchester sees the world in a darker view. Things seem t...