Moonlight (Varian X Female!OC)

By Yzexnde

Ever since Edith's big sister Rupunzel returned, things haven't been the same More

Character profile
Prologue part 1
prologue part 2:
Chapter 1: Before ever after part 1
Chapter 3: what the hair
Chapter 4: Rupunzel's enemy
chapter 5: Fitzherbert

Chapter 2: Before Ever After part 2

18 0 0
By Yzexnde

Edith's POV:

After me and Rupunzel came back from town, we went to my sister's room to find Cassandra waiting for us. "Let me guess, big day on the town wasn't all you'd hoped it'd be?" Cassandra asked when she saw the glum look on Rupunzel's face.

"It was...interesting." Rupunzel responded as Pascal gave Cass a thumbs down.

"Uh-huh, I bet." Cass said looking quite concerned.

"I just wish my dad would let me get out and see the real world." Rupunzel complained.

"You know, if you really wanted, me and the little warrior could get you in and out of here before anyone even knew we were gone." Cassandra said.

"Yes, it's true that me and Cass know a handful of ways to leave the castle. So we can sneak you out." I said with a grin on my face.

"You mean that you can sneak me out at night." Rupunzel asked.

"Exactly. What you two do when no one's looking is your business." Said Cass. I put my hand on my chest, "my pendant it's gone." I said.

"Huh?" Said Cass and Rupunzel.

"what does it look like?" Cass asked.

"It's a circle, silver, it has a crescent moon on it, and it's a compass." I said.

"No, haven't seen it." Rupunzel, and Cass said.

"We can look for it if you want." Rupunzel asked.

"no. The banquet is soon, so we don't have enough time. And I'll look for it later." I said

"The royal banquet is ready to receive the princesses now." The messenger said behind the door.

"Cheer up Raps, Ei. Hey, maybe your dad got someone to chew your food for you two." Cass teased.

At the banquet:

The seating arrangements were pretty normal except for Eugene's seat. Who was seated with the five year olds. As Cassandra past she whispered something in Eugene's ear. Whatever she said did not make Eugene any happier than before.
"I don't understand why you're so upset, sweetheart's. I said you two could do whatever you wanted. That's what you did." Dad said confused.

"You didn't mention a battalion following us everywhere we go" I said

"Why would I need to? You're royalty, making a public appearance." Dad said rather sternly.

"But, Dad-" Rupunzel's was interrupted by Eugene who tapped the fork against the glass.

"Ladies and gentlemen, dukes and duchesses, barons and baronesses, marquis and, you know, the female version of those, may I share a moment of history with you? Princess, would you join me up here?" Eugene said, I raised my brow in suspicion wondering where he was going with this.

"Tonight, we celebrate our love for the princess. I can think of no better way to celebrate the love I have for this woman than this." Eugene continued as he knelt down on one knee. I was shocked, I knew that Eugene was going to propose to Rupunzel, but I never thought it was going to be this soon.

"Oh, Eugene! Wait, did you drop something?" Rupunzel asked Eugene in concern. "No. Rapunzel,"Said Eugene pulling out the ring. "From the moment I first met you, and you knocked me out with that frying pan, I knew it was love. You're my light. You're my best friend and I want to be your partner in all things. I can't wait to laugh with you and share with you. I see us raising our children here. And our children's children. And celebrating banquets of our own in this very hall for many, many, many, many years to come. I want to ride our horses to the Corona wall together, each and every morning, until we're both very, very... old and grey. I love you, Rapunzel. And I want to spend the rest of our lives here, together." Eugene ranted. "Here, in this... castle, ...forever?" Rupunzel asked. Then I realized Rupunzel is not ready for a lifetime commitment. "I mean, unless you want to rent, but I hardly see how we'll top this. I want to spend the rest of my life with you here. It doesn't get any better than this, this castle" Eugene said looking hopeful. Rupunzel was looking around panicked until she finally said, "I love you, Eugene, but... I can't. Just not, not now. Um...I need some air." Rupunzel said sadly, and left the dining hall, leaving a disappointed Eugene.

Back In Rupunzel's room:

"Oh, I feel horrible about Eugene. I do love him, and I want to marry him someday. But not like this." Rupunzel said. Me and Cass look at each other with a concerned look.

"Hey, Rupunzel. I think that Eugene is going to propose again, and you can discuss the situation with him." I said, trying not to be rude.

"No, I need to get out and clear my head, without a fleet of guards tailing me." Rupunzel said determined.

"Say no more. Hey, little warrior are you coming?" Cass said, as she was getting up.

"yea, I'll come." I said.

In Cassandra's quarters:

Cassandra opens her closet to get us some hoods so me and Rupunzel can blend in the night. "Whoa! Where's the war." Rupunzel's asked.

"When your dad's Captain of the Guards. You tend to collect... stuff" Cass explained.

"I have a feeling that this is going to be fun." Rupunzel said mischievously. I looked at my sister and smiled.

Time Skip:

"Wow! Is that a secret passage!" Rupunzel yelled when Cass revealed the passageway.

"It not anymore now that you revealed it to the whole castle." Cass said with a tone of slight annoyance in her voice.

Another Time skip:)

King Fredric's POV:

"Honey, stop beating yourself up. Rapunzel and Edith just needs some space. Nobody said dealing with teenagers would be easy." My wife Ariana said in attempts to help me feel better about myself. "Teenagers or not, Arianna, Rupunzel will be queen one day. And Edith will become a princess. I have to prepare them for that." I said sternly.

Flashback:

"Guards! Guards! My chariot! Rapunzel!" I yell.

End of flashback:

I just want to protect her. I said while locking the door.

To Rupunzel, Cassandra, and Edith:

Italics is the singing:

Edith's POV:

"Seems like I've spent my whole life hopin', Dreamin' of things I've never tried, Tangled in knots just waitin' for my time to shine. What if the doors began to open? What if the knots became untied? What if one day nothing stood in my way. And the world was mine? Would it feel this fine? 'Cause I've got the wind in my hair. And a gleam in my eyes. And an endless horizon. I've got a smile on my face. And I'm walkin' on air. And everything life ought to be It's all gonna happen to me out there. And I'll find it, I swear With the wind in my hair! So many roads I've yet to travel! So many friends I haven't met! So many new adventures Just around the bend Plenty of mysteries to unravel. Tons of mistakes to not regret. So much to see and to do, and to be A whole life to spend. And it doesn't end! 'Cause I've got the wind in my hair and a song in my heart And the fun's only starting I got a skip in my step. And I haven't a care. And everything life ought to be Well, I know that it's waiting for me out there. And I'll find it, I swear With the wind in my hair!"

"Just remember that no one can ever know that I snuck you two out of Corona." Cass reminded me and Rupunzel.

"Don't worry, no one's going to find out." Rupunzel said and I nodded at her statement. As we were talking we came across this bridge that has definitely seen better days as Max took a step on the bridge, the bridge started to crumble. Max instantly took a step back. "Whoa! Whoa, Max. All right, this looks dangerous. Can you... Can you stay here and watch Fadela for me?" Rupunzel asked Max. Max who happily agreed to Rupunzel's request and stayed behind with Fadela.

after more walking I asked, "so what did you want to show us." I asked Cassandra.

"Trust me, it's better if you two see it for yourself Little Warrior." Cass said as we approached a cliff with a monument on it with unusual black rocks surrounding it. 

"They're beautiful. What are they?" Rupunzel asked as she examined the monument and the mysterious rocks.

 "Don't know. They just kinda sprouted up here about a year ago. And watch this. Uh, you might want to stand back for this one." Cass said as she took out her sword. I did what Cass told me and stood back. Cass swung her sword against the black rocks and the sword broke. I was flabbergasted, the sword didn't even scratch it. 

"Wow." Rupunzel said while I was rendered speechless. 

"They're unbreakable. Wanna know the weirdest part? This is where they found the miracle flower that saved your mom." Said Cass. 

"And Rupunzel." I said, while I was thinking back on the story. Rupunzel approached the rocks, but something is different the rocks glowed a light blue. Rupunzel saw this, and out of curiosity she touched the rocks. A burst of light came from the rocks and pushed Rupunzel away from them. 

"Ahh!!" I said as Rupunzel fell on me. 

"Are you okay Rupunzel!" I asked Rupunzel who looked shocked at the reaction of the rocks. Then all the sudden more black rocks sprouted from the ground and they are coming towards me and Rupunzel. Me, Rupunzel, and Cassandra started running as fast as we could.

 "Get to the horses as fast as you two can. Don't look back!" Cassandra said in the distance. As I was running I felt a sharp pain in my head but I ignored it. When I caught up to my sister I saw something that I never thought I'll see. She had golden seventy feet of hair. 

"Rupunzel what happened!" I asked alarmed. "

Don't stop, you two! Keep going!" We heard Cassandra yell in the distance.

"Um, Cassandra!" Me and Rupunzel said with nervous look's on our faces. 

"Keep moving, Rapunzel, we need to get... Whoa! What? What happened?" Said Cassandra who is clearly just as shocked as me and Rupunzel. 

"I have no idea. But we'll have to deal with it later. Let's go!" Rupunzel said with a tone of urgency in her voice. I nodded in agreement as we started running again. As we were running across the bridge one of the rocks caught Rupunzel's hair which kept Rupunzel from moving any farther. 

"Guys, my hair!" Rupunzel said to grab are attention. Just in our time of need Max came and removed Rupunzel's hair from the rock. As we started running the bridge started collapsing behind us. Just as we just got off the bridge the bridge is gone.

Time skip to the castle:

"See I told you that I can get you two in and out without anyone knowing." Cass said with a smile on her face.

"Uhh Cass... do you see Rupunzel's seventy feet of our father is going to kill us growing out of Rupunzel's head!" I said as I took of my hood. Cassandra and Rupunzel looked at me dumbfounded. "What? Did I say something wrong?" I asked getting uneasy.

"Uh... you should look in the mirror to see the situation Edith." Rupunzel said shakily. Confused I walked to Rupunzel's mirror. I saw that somehow a blue streak is in my hair, I panicked and said "T-This has to be a joke, r-right?" I asked shakily.

"O-okay I know how it looks but we should deal with Rupunzel's hair first" Cassandra said.

"O-okay." I said shakily.

We tried everything to cut Rupunzel's hair but it's unbreakable like those rocks. "Forget it. It's just like those stupid rocks it's unbreakable." Said Cass who was frustrated with the hair.

"We can't forget it! Today is my coronation!" Said Rupunzel who is also frustrated. And at the worst time someone knocked at the door. 

"Hey, sunshine, are you in there?" Said Eugene through the door. 

"You can't let Eugene see you two!" Cass said panicked. 

"What? Why?" Rupunzel asked. 

"He can't know anything about last night! I told you, Rapunzel. If it gets out I took you both outside Corona, I'm done for." Cass said panicking even more. 

"But I trust Eugene." Rupunzel said. 

"Well, I don't. My dad will have me taken off princess detail. We'll never see each other again." Cass said, me and Rupunzel saddened at the thought of not seeing Cass again. And we started hiding Rupunzel's hair. The door suddenly burst opened, 

"Are you okay... Holy Hair!" Eugene yelled as he walked in on us. "Heh, surprise." Me and Rupunzel said nervously.

"Ooh, mama. Okay, okay, this is new. No, Edith's hair is new, right? We've seen Rupunzel's, That magic thing is involved again. It was magic, right? Don't tell me. I'll just say your hair magically grew back, and Edith's magically changed color. I'm not gonna ask how. Obviously, you two don't want to tell me, or else you two wouldn't have tried to hide it from me. I won't ask how it grew back, and changed color, but how did it grow back? And change color? Don't answer that. The important thing is you two are okay. You two are okay, right? I don't care what happened. I mean, I care, but I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation ...that you'll share when you guys are ready." Ranted Eugene. 

"Thank you for understanding." Said Rupunzel. 

"Oh, come on! Really? I thought we trusted each other, Rapunzel, Freebird!" Eugene complains. 

"We do! I do. It's just..." I said trailing off. 

"Fine! You know what? I can't make you guys tell me what happened, but obviously you're keeping something from me. But whatever it is, I just want you to know, you should never feel like you have to hide anything from me. You don't hide things from the people you love, ever." 

Eugene said. Then another person is at the door. "Rapunzel, honey?" Mom said though the door. 

"Hide your hair, woman! You two gotta hide your hair!" 

"Rapunzel?" May I come in, sweetheart?" Mom asked again.

 "You can't! I'm... brushing my teeth." Rupunzel said as she gave us a thumbs up, and me, Cass, and Eugene shook our heads saying that was not a good move.

 "Oh, good. But I can still come in, can't I?" Mom said getting a little concerned. 

"Believe me, Mom. You do not want to. Morning breath. Wouldn't want to expose you to that." Rupunzel said, I face palm. 

"That's very thoughtful of you. Um... Dad and I want you and Edith to join us on the terrace for breakfast." Mom asked. 

"Um... I don't know. There's a lot of stuff me and Edith have to do to get ready." Rupunzel responded. 

"Rapunzel, well, your father has something very important to share with you and Edith. He's been waiting all night two talk to you two." Mom said.

 "Yeah. Sure. I will get Edith and we'll meet you there in a minute?" Rupunzel said. 

As mom walked away Rupunzel's said, "The coronation is in two hours! How am I and Edith supposed to cut this hair and change it's color?" Rupunzel asked. 

"I might have an idea." Cassandra said as she looked at me and Rupunzel.

"So, uh, Rapunzel, ready for the big day?" Asked Mom. 

"You bet. Already into the princess spirit. The bigger the wig, the better the princess, right?" Said Rupunzel who was wearing a wig that is nearly as tall as me. And I was also wearing a wig but it isn't nearly as big and excessive as my sister's. 

"So, Dad, Mom said you wanted to talk?" I asked. 

"Yes. Edith, last night, your mother and I had a discussion. I know that I'm not always able to separate the man from the king, and separating the father from the king has proven even more difficult. Sweethearts, I know this new life is hard to get used to... and I'm sure that sometimes you wish I would get out of your guy's hair." Said Dad. 

"Oh, sorry. It's a little dry out here. Anyone else dry?" Said Rupunzel awkwardly. 

"Rapunzel, Edith, you two are going to be queen and a princess someday, a great queen and princess with a magnificent kingdom. But you two know better than anyone else what a dangerous and evil place the world can be. The barrier keeping us safe from that is sometimes more fragile than it appears. When that evil rears its ugly head, it is my job to protect Corona from it. And one day, that will be your responsibility Rupunzel, Edith. And I must teach you two how to carry it. But that is many, many years away. Until that burden is imposed on you two, I'm asking that you guys trust me. That I know how to keep danger as far away from you two and this kingdom as is humanly possible. Do you understand? It wasn't until last night that I realized that my methods may have, at times, seemed strict or unfair or..." lectured dad, who got cut off by Rupunzel. 

"Does this mean we can have more time to ourselves without having half the royal guard over our shoulder?" Rupunzel asked, I am hoping for a yes. 

Then dad said, "Well, this means I'm willing to reconsider those methods. But I make no promises."

 "We can work with that." I said, as I kissed dad on the cheek. 

"Well, we should go. I have a lot of princess-ing up to do." Rupunzel said clumsily, and I giggled at her response.

Time skip to the ceremony:)

The doors finally opened after an eternity of waiting. Rupunzel clumsy went down the aisle which took another eternity. When she she finally got to the front of the hall, The ceremony began. 

Then out of nowhere, "Attention, please!" A lady yelled at the door. 

"Release my guests immediately!" Father said sternly. 

"What's the matter, Fred? Am I ruining your little girl's perfect day?" The lady said mocked. 

"The duchess?" I said. 

"Oh, honey, I am no duchess." The lady said. 

"I don't understand." Rupunzel said. 

"Of course, you wouldn't, Rapunzel. But try to follow along. This is all your fault!" The lady said angrily. 

"What?" I said. 

"You see, after your untimely disappearance, your father locked up every criminal in the kingdom, including a simple, petty thief, my father. I saw him thrown into a cage and hauled off like some animal, never to be seen again. So, I thought I'd come back and return the favor." The woman said ending with a sinister smile, as some carriages came up behind her. 

"Load 'em up, boys!" The lady's goons drag the guests into the carriages. 

 "Your turn, Your Majesty. Oh, come now. You didn't think we'd leave our prized pig in the pen, did you?" The woman said while grinning. 

"Dad?" Me and Rupunzel said. "Girls, Stay back." Father said as he was getting taken away. 

"But..." Me and Rupunzel said. 

"No. There is nothing you can do. As your father and your king, I command you to stay put." Father commanded. Eugene tried to attack the lady from behind but she deflected the attack. 

"Don't be a hero, pretty boy." The lady said. 

 "Sorry, Dad. I can't stay put." Rupunzel said under her breath, as she was talking of her wig. 

"Rapunzel!"Father cried out. As he saw the golden locks Rupunzel was kept hidden from him. 

"Well, there's No point In hiding it." I said, as I took off my wig too. 

"Edith!" Mother said shocked. 

"That's my girl." Said Eugene. 

"Let them go!" Said Rupunzel in a dark tone. 

 "It's amazing what you can hide under those wigs, isn't it, Princesses? Come on, let's move out!" The lady said as she was going to leave. Me and Rupunzel must of had the same idea. I took out a knife out of my boot (I learned this from Cassandra.) and throw it at the woman who was leading the group the knife unfortunately missed because Rupunzel got her with her hair. I didn't noticed that it grazed her cheek. 

"Now you two are just making me mad." The lady said angrily. The lady's men split up to handle us all at once. One of the ladies goons came up to me and said "daggers. Heh, cute." He said teasingly. I instantly attacked him, which he hold of the attack with his. 

"Aww, come on. A fourteen year old princess can't land a hit on me." The man said. 

"Are you sure about that?" I said while I deflected his attack which was powerful enough to disarm him. 

"Your weaponless, if you're smart you'll surrender." I said threatening him with my dagger on his throat. 

"Y-your insane!" The man said in fear. 

"Want to say that again." I scowled, pressing the dagger on his throat a little harder. 

"Okay, Okay, I surrender, I surrender!" The man said with full terror now. 

"Wise choice." I smiled.

At night:

"So, I'm trying to understand this. You two snuck out last night, went beyond the walls of Corona, where Rupunzel touched a mysterious rock that somehow caused Rupunzel's hair to return, and cause Edith's hair to change color?" Father said trying to comprehend the situation.

 "Yes." Me and Rupunzel said. 

"And you two acted alone?" Dad questions. 

"Look, I know you're angry, but can't you see We are okay? We're more than okay. I..." Rupunzel said having being cut of by dad. 

"Rapunzel, Edith... There's something I need to tell you two. I love you two. The night you were taken Rupunzel, a part of me died, the best part of me. I couldn't even look at Edith until you came back." The atmosphere grew dark in the room as father said those words. 

"For 18 long and agonizing years, I swore that if somehow, someway, by some miracle, the fates decided to show mercy and return you to me, I would never let anything happen to you again. And now that this has returned, the very reason you were snatched away from me in the first place, I'm afraid I'm left with no choice, sweethearts. As of tonight, I am forced to exercise my martial right as king to forbid you two from leaving the walls of this kingdom without my consent." 

Dad declared. 

"Father." Me and Rupunzel said. 

"And know this, this is the last we will speak of mystical rocks or magic of any kind, to anyone. Is that understood." Dad said sternly. I coldly left the room.

In Edith's room:

I am on my bed thinking about the conversation I had with father earlier. "Should I have handled it differently Fiona." I asked my pet squirrel. *conferring squirrel noises*

"yea, your right, I should use this time to explore Corona. And I feel something big is going to happen." I said feeling a little better about myself.

*agreeing squirrel noises*

I laugh "okay it's time to go to bed" I said as I tucked myself in. And just like that I feel asleep without noticing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235 4 11
Hey, i have been a fan of Tangledfor a hot minute and GAWD DAMN VARIAN IS SO FINE *Cough* anyway, i just wanted to make this for fun sooooo, hope yal...
18.7K 569 19
"You Loved Me During My Darkest Time."
156 0 11
starring... Eugene Rapunzel Varian Kerrigan Fredrick Arianna Pascal Maximus Gainey hookhand Bignose Vladimir Atilla Ufa Gretta Mother Gothel Shorty
1.6K 56 22
This is a sequel to 'The Journey of the Missing Crown'. Plot; It's been one year since Eugene Fitzherbert lives in Old Corona with Varian. Eugene lea...