Shattered Souls (BTS)

By littletroublemaker_

Escaping fate is not easy. Growing up with a soulless mother, Madeline didn't want a soul mate. But when she... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1: Madeline
Chapter 2: Madeline
Chapter 3: BTS
Chapter 4: Jungkook
Chapter 5: Madeline
Chapter 6: Yoongi
Chapter 7: Madeline
Chapter 8: Hoseok
Chapter 9: Madeline
Chapter 10: Madeline
Chapter 11: Namjoon
Chapter 12: Madeline
Chapter 13 - Seokjin
Chapter 14 - Taehyung
Chapter 15: Jimin
Chapter 16: Hoseok
Chapter 17: Jimin
Chapter 18: Madeline
Chapter 19: Madeline
Chapter 20 - Namjoon
Chapter 21 - Madeline
Chapter 22 - Madeline
Chapter 23 - Madeline
Chapter 24: Seokjin
Chapter 26 - Jungkook
Chapter 27: Madeline
Chapter 28: Yoongi
Chapter 29: Madeline
Chapter 30: Madeline
Chapter 31: Madeline
Chapter 32: Seokjin
Chapter 33: Madeline
Chapter 34: Namjoon
Chapter 35: Madeline
Chapter 36: Madeline
Chapter 37: Hoseok
Chapter 38: Madeline
Chapter 39: Jimin
Chapter 40: Madeline
Chapter 41: Madeline
Chapter 42: Taehyung
Chapter 43: Madeline
Chapter 44: Madeline

Chapter 25 - Madeline

1.6K 70 4
By littletroublemaker_

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo, Liberty, Destined, and The King's Lost Queen. You can also read ahead of my new stories Shattered Souls plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 2386

SHE WAS FINALLY home again. After spending a full, agonizing week in the hospital, Madeline had finally been given the all-clear. She had started to feel like she would lose her mind if she spent another minute in that stuffy room.

Throughout the past week, her soul mates had tried to speak to her—to get her to open up. She had always answered politely, but briefly. A big part of her wanted to join in on their jokes, to ask them about their lives, but she didn't want to give them the wrong impression.

She also knew that if she started to show an interest, she would fall for their personalities and inevitably have her heart broken. It was hard to convince herself that they had bad intentions, especially when they had been nothing but kind and loving towards her. Each day, they all did simple, cute things for her.

For instance, one morning, Taehyung came in with a hot chocolate filled with whipped cream, marshmallows, and cookies. When he saw that she enjoyed it a lot, he kept bringing it to her each morning. It had become a routine and she hated to admit she looked forward to getting it.

Jin always made her a grilled cheese toastie that tasted amazing. She couldn't get enough of it. She wondered how he knew it was one of her favorite foods.

Namjoon always left in the afternoon and returned with a book. Strangely, he seemed to know the type of books she liked to read. Once again, she loathed how much she enjoyed receiving them.

Hobi, who could literally be described as a ray of sunshine, would put on a comedy show in the evenings. He always joked about something that happened and even acted out parts of the show in a funny way. She never said much to him but she listened. It was difficult not to laugh at some of the stuff he did.

Jimin and Jungkook were a bit shyer about doing things for her. But that didn't stop them. They both took it in turns to take her for a walk, even though she didn't speak much. Sometimes they would both go with her and sometimes they'd go individually. They respected her privacy and never made her feel uncomfortable.

Lastly, there was Yoongi. He was definitely the quietest in the group. After her first talk with them, Madeline was slightly afraid of Yoongi. She knew he'd never hurt her. Her fear came from his perception. He was very good at reading people and always called someone out when something wasn't right. Madeline didn't want him to see the slight effect they were having on her.

She often caught him watching her whilst one of the others spoke to her. Unlike Lamar, Madeline wasn't a great actress. There were many times when her stoic expression would falter and parts of her real safe would come to the surface.

Yoongi didn't do the same as the others. Instead, he stayed in her room the longest, often sleeping or working on his laptop. He barely spoke to her since he knew she wouldn't reply honestly. So, they would sit in comfortable silence. She loathed the fact she enjoyed his natural presence.

Going home wasn't a challenge. But knowing that her soul mates wouldn't be hovering around her was going to be hard to get used to. Annoyingly, she had gotten used to having them around.

None of them had talked to her about what would happen after she left. She assumed they would leave for Korea. This was what she had expected and it was why she had distanced herself from them.

It hurt her heart to think about it.

Her dad and Creed helped her leave the hospital. Her soul mates assisted in parts but mostly watched from the sidelines, with longing to swirl in their eyes.

Surprisingly, her dad had gotten along with her soul mates. Despite the language barrier with some of them, he spoke to them with ease and respect. The seven members really liked her dad, often expressing what a kind man he was.

"So," Her dad started in a serious tone as he slammed the car door shut. Madeline was sat in the passenger seat whilst Creed climbed into the back. "I spoke with your soul mates and we all agreed it would be best if you lived at home for a week before going back to college."

Madeline opened her mouth to protest, irritated that her soul mates had made this decision without consulting her but stopped herself when her dad threw her a look.

"Those seven are determined to support you no matter what, Mass. They're renting a place less than five minutes from our house."

Madeline nearly did a double take, "Wait what?"

"They're planning to stay here for the foreseeable future. Their manager has apparently pulled some strings and booked some time off for them." He informed her, his tone portraying his excitement.

Madeline didn't know what to think. She was so certain they were leaving because they had said nothing to her.

The fact they were staying in America was shocking.

At a loss for words, Madeline stewed in that new fact. She wasn't prepared to see them again. If she kept seeing them, maintaining her stance would be a lot harder. A part of her cursed them for not leaving. It would make her life so much easier. She could continue living the way she had been. It was safe.

But now, she would have to fight her feelings.

"Mads," Creed called her name from the back of the car, softly. Madeline glanced over her shoulder to meet his gaze, curious to hear what he had to say. She knew he wanted what was best for her. In his eyes, that was accepting the bond. Creed was a utilitarian through and through. He wanted to optimize the most amount of happiness. That meant he wanted her to stop running.

"If you're going to say I should just accept them, I'm not going to listen." She retorted before he could say anything.

"Actually, I was going to say did you want to go out for a meal as a family tomorrow? Dad thinks we should talk as a family." He corrected her with a layer of smugness to his demeanor.

A faint blush coated her cheeks. Not everything is about my soul mates, she scolded herself.

"Sure," She managed to reply, quickly turning back around.

She watched the pedestrians that wandered through the streets. There was one couple who didn't hide their joy. A pang of jealousy swirled inside of her at the sight and she bitterly whipped her head away from the scene. When she was starting to accept the idea of soul mates, she wanted that. But now, she forced herself to think she couldn't think of anything worse.

They pulled up at her dad's house. It had been a few weeks since she returned home and it felt good to see it again. She never fully felt comfortable at her mom's house. Sometimes she felt like she had to walk on eggshells. It was different at her dad's—she didn't have to worry about saying the wrong thing or being a nuisance.

"Home sweet home," Creed muttered from behind her.

Her dad's house was big. He had a job that paid well. Her mom's apartment in comparison was a small two-bed with a joined lounge and kitchen.

Due to extreme prodding, her dad and June insisted she decorate her room. So, she had photographs from the few places she had been along with an array of artwork and books. She would never admit it to them but she loved her room.

Once she was inside, June embraced her in a loving hug. She had visited the hospital a few times and always brought tasty snacks. The differences between June and her mother were obvious. June was openly affectionate and never argued. There wasn't a cold bone in her body.

Madeline often wondered what her life would be like if she was June's biological daughter. Would she still share the same views about soul mates? Probably not.

"Oh, darling. You look a lot better," June whispered into Madeline's hair whilst gently patting her shoulder.

Madeline sank into the cuddle, feeling lighter.

After they pulled away, Dash and Lemar pounced on her, giving her a hug. Lemar was like Madeline in many ways—he usually didn't seek physical affection. But because of what happened, she figured he was glad she was able to come home.

Whilst Madeline's dad took her small suitcase into her room, Madeline was escorted into the big lounge. June insisted on making a warm drink for Madeline whilst her three brothers casually sat on the couches, talking mindlessly.

Most of the time, Madeline didn't have much to add. She didn't mind though—she enjoyed listening to them. There were only a few people she fully felt comfortable with. Her brothers were amongst a few.

The conversation started lightly but soon moved to something heavier.

"Have you heard from Larisa?" Lemar asked her, his tone apologetic and worried.

Madeline's eyes turned away. They had asked the same question the other day and she hated to say she hadn't. Her mom knew she was in the hospital. But she didn't bother showing up. She hadn't even messaged her.

"No, I thought she would at least text me." Madeline sighed, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"Larisa has never been one to communicate well," Creed stated. Madeline knew her mom didn't have the best relationship with her stepsons. She always bought them presents but out of obligation. She barely spoke to them.

"She probably doesn't know what to say. Dad told her your soul mates—" Madeline winced at the term. "—were staying with you. It probably freaked her out to know that."

Madeline didn't want her 'soul mates' to meet her mom. Not that she'd give them the opportunity.

"I know my mom doesn't want me to be with them," Madeline revealed, biting her bottom lip.

"Has she said that to you?" Dash queried, frowning.

"Not directly but she's made subtle comments. We all know she hates them. Why would she want her only daughter to go through the same thing she had?" Madeline thought aloud.

"Is that the real reason you won't accept them?" Lemar point-blank asked her, calling her out.

"I—" She didn't really have a response. She knew that her mother's opinions definitely had an impact on her but to what extent? Was that the real reason she wasn't even considering giving them a try?

"You've grown up terrified of upsetting your mother by getting a soul mate. And when you did get the soul tattoos, you watched your mother's reaction the entire time. Sure, you're scared of ending up like her but you also don't want to upset your mother and ruin your barely functioning relationship with her." Lemar added, staring intensely at her. It was so unlike him to be so upfront. He usually hung back and let the others talk.

"Damn, Lemar," Creed whistled, impressed by his younger brother. "Who knew you could act so wise? Have you been reading those self-help books Aunt Gwen gives you for Christmas?"

Lemar shook his head, "No. This is the type of advice that comes from the smartest Smith."

Creed and Dash both exclaimed in disgust and horror. Madeline knew they would never let that drop.

"Take that back! I beat you in the last Biology test." Dash retorted, narrowing his eyes playfully.

"By three points," Lemar deadpanned.

Creed grumbled something incoherent under his breath about being the oldest out of the three and, therefore the wisest.

Madeline felt a smile slip on her lips. These days, she rarely sincerely smiled. Her brothers could always provide something calming and bright.

"What are you three arguing about now?" June asked as she stepped into the room, carrying a tray of mugs. Madeline could smell the distinct and glorious smell of hot cocoa. Her favorite.

"Nothing," The three brothers quipped back simultaneously.

June shook her head in amusement. The adoration she had for them was as clear as day. When Madeline was younger, she used to picture her mother gazing at her with those eyes. It used to make her feel unwanted. Now, she ignored any feelings that stirred inside of her.

"I thought a nice hot cocoa would relax you, Madi," June informed Madeline, handing her a cup.

Madeline smiled gratefully and immediately brought the steaming drink to her lips. Just as she was about to take a sip, her eyes landed on her wrist—where two of her soul marks were painted golden. It was a heavy blow to see.

Every time she thought she could escape thoughts of her soul mates, they managed to pop up. Her hands trembled at the sight as her father's words came to mind.

BTS—her seven soul mates—were staying in America. For her. Did that mean everything they said was true? If they were determined to win her over and stay with her, she didn't know how she'd react. Could she see herself accepting them in the future?

The stubborn part of her denied it. She had made her decision and was going to lie in it. She got that trait from her mother. But, the forgiving, believing second chances side of her came from her father.

There was a lot to talk about. She needed somebody who was passive and an outsider to give her some advice, just like Miss Val who was sympathetic and understanding.

For today, Madeline would try and forget her worries and enjoy spending time with her family. She'd think more about it tomorrow. 

You can also read ahead on Inkitt for a small fee! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

426K 13.8K 47
BTS are mates. Namjoon and Hoseok returned home with another omega walking behind them. The new arrival seems to get along with everyone but Yoongi...
27.8K 1.1K 25
**Bangtan Boys Series Book 2 of 7** What happens when you meet someone from your past? Someone who you had feelings for. What if destiny brought you...
1.4K 76 7
**Bangtan Boys Series Book 4 of 7** On the outside he has everything you could ever wish for fame, money and love. On the inside his heart is broken...
407K 17.9K 44
New Town. New school. 7 Boys and something that could only be described as magic. What could go wrong? ________________________________ Completed A...