Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 32

177 7 11
By arlenerae

Past - 15

Elysia's POV:

"Aubrey! I just came here to help you out with your studies. Your cousin doesn't need to disrespect me like that. I'm not rich like you all, I know! But it doesn't mean that people who don't have a lot of money aren't humans. It doesn't give her a right to belittle anyone." I stated in a quiet voice.

"I know, Ely, I'm really, really sorry for what Sammy said. Please, forgive me?" She held my hands with pleading eyes.

I tried to walk away, but she stopped me again, her eyes welled up, ashamed of her cousin's words.

"Please, don't be mad at me," Aubrey hugged me, tears rolling down her cheeks. My jaw clenched, not allowing my own tears to roll down my cheeks.

A sigh escaped my lips, hearing her crying like that. Stretching my arms, I hugged her back. It wasn't her fault that her cousin said those things. Although her words hurt a lot, I couldn't push Aubrey away for someone else's mistakes. She was my friend.

"Don't cry anymore, I'm not mad at you," I wiped her tears with my sleeves.

"Really?" She sniffled.

"Hm," I responded, giving her a small smile.

"You won't come in?" She asked again.

"No! I need to go home. See you at school tomorrow," I reassured her before I left her house.

I didn't go home directly; instead, I went to the park in our neighborhood and sat on one of the benches.

Recalling everything that happened in Aubrey's house, my shoulders slumped, "What's wrong with my uniform?" I mumbled. "It's not expensive, but it's clean." I stroked the fabric of my sleeves, recalling how they ignored me like I didn't exist. So, it wasn't just my thinking, it really was intentional. They didn't like me at all. Facing heavenward, I blinked numerous times, gulping back the tears.

"You are the only person who determines your worth, no one else!" Dr. Smith's words echoed inside my head.

Nodding, I reminded myself firmly. "I'm not gonna cry at such baby things, I won't!" I wiped my eyes, sorted my thoughts out, and resumed my usual expressions before going home.

*************

The next day, I baked a small chocolate cake for Sven and brought it to school as an apology. However, I was surprised to find out that he was absent once again.

This time, I was genuinely concerned. Why wasn't he coming to school? Was he really that upset with me?

I let out a long sigh, running a hand through my hair in frustration. Just then, Esme entered the classroom with her bag slung over one shoulder. Her mere presence had a noticeable effect on everyone in the classroom. Conversations hushed into whispers, and the students seemed uneasy around her. I couldn't quite understand why everyone was so intimidated by her. I had seen her for months and hadn't witnessed anything that justified this fear. But she had an intimidating aura about her without even trying.

Esme was the quietest person I had ever encountered. She neither initiated conversations nor responded to anyone's attempts to talk to her, as if no one exists for her. Her sole purpose seemed to be attending school and leaving.

I waved at her when she took her seat, though I expected no response as usual. To my surprise, she spoke.

"Are you never bored?" Her voice was devoid of emotion, and I was taken aback, my eyes wide and my lips slightly parted.

Esme Indira Vasquez was actually talking to me?

After months of ignoring my greetings, she had finally responded.

"Huh? Bored? About what?" I inquired, puzzled by her question, and turned to face her completely.

"I've never replied to you. Don't you think it's time to stop?" She said coldly, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Everyone in the classroom was discreetly glancing in our direction, shocked that Esme was speaking.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" I asked, realizing that my constant greetings might be a nuisance.

"Would you stop if I said yes?" Her response was delivered in her characteristic cold tone. I nodded vigorously.

"I only wanted to thank you for your help, but if you find it uncomfortable, I will stop immediately. I truly didn't mean to bother you," I replied sincerely.

In a swift motion, she leaned in closer, stopping right in front of my face, her elbows resting on the desk. My eyes widened as I found myself locked into her icy gray gaze.

"Shouldn't you do the same?" She asked in a low voice, raising one eyebrow, leaving me perplexed. "Shouldn't you also stop being around people who make you uncomfortable, hm?" Her question momentarily rendered me speechless. The events of yesterday flashed before my eyes, and I couldn't help but lower my gaze.

It was challenging to hide my emotions from my mom, but I couldn't bear to see her hurt on my behalf. She was a very emotional person, a crybaby, especially when it came to me.

"People who don't appreciate your worth aren't deserving of your company or trust," her words struck a chord in my heart. I knew she was entirely right. My eyes flickered to Esme in surprise, not because of her words but because of her tone. Even if it was only for a fleeting moment, I still detected a subtle hint of softness in her voice. Her gray eyes were still cold as I looked at her, but they didn't seem as intimidating. Instead, they appeared mysterious, as if there was a storm hidden behind those calm and cold gray orbs.

Just then, the bell rang, signaling the start of class, and students rushed in and hurried to their seats. Esme stopped talking to me and busied herself in her books, leaving me in thoughts. I slowly faced forward as the lessons began, but my mind continued to echo Esme's words and her enigmatic demeanor. It made me view things from a different perspective, and amid many thoughts, one thing became clear.

At that moment, I realized I wanted to be more than just a polite classmate who greeted Esme. More than just someone expressing gratitude for her unintentional kindness. I wanted to be friends with Esme Vasquez and explore the world behind her calm exterior. I wanted to know the real Esme Indira Vasquez...

************

During the lunch break, I decided to check the detention room in search of Sven. As I approached the room, I saw Mrs. Clarke walking out with a file in her hand. I briefly considered turning and walking away, but she had already noticed my presence.

"Oh, Elysia! Can you please help me find Brey Cornell? I need him to pass this file to Sven. Inside, you'll find the class materials and assignments he missed. Child, can you ensure that Sven receives these notes and assignments so he can catch up?" Mrs. Clarke handed the file to me.

Finding Brey Cornell? One of Sven's friends who was typically in the company of Ophelia and her group? No, thank you!

"O-okay, ma'am!" I blurted out otherwise.

'Just say you can't. Are you crazy, Elysia?' I yelled at myself internally yet not a word came out of my mouth.

"Thank you!" Mrs. Clarke tapped my shoulder and continued on her way, leaving me feeling a bit apprehensive.

Talking about people who can't just say "No" to others...

After a little while, I peeked into the courtyard, where Sven's usual group of friends, along with the girls, were gathered. Holding the file close to my chest, I couldn't muster the courage to approach them.

Exhaling a deep sigh, I tentatively opened the file. To my surprise, I discovered Sven's address listed in his personal information.

I contemplated for a moment, thinking, "Should I go directly to Sven instead of asking Brey?" I needed to apologize for my behavior, and I was genuinely concerned that I might have hurt him. Now, I had a reason to initiate a conversation with him, so maybe it was for the best.

With this decision in mind, I returned to the classroom and discreetly placed the file in my bag.

As the school day came to a close, I packed my bag and prepared to visit Sven's home to deliver the file. As I slung my bag over my shoulders, Aubrey also stood up from her seat.

"Are you still upset with me, Ely?" She inquired, her voice filled with concern.

A soft sigh escaped my lips upon hearing her words. I was talking to her, but it wasn't quite like our usual conversations. For some reason, yesterday's events had given me a new perspective on her.

I was far from being a confident person, I often avoided people and struggled with anxiety. Heck, I had a list of problems when it came to my personality. Yet, when it came to her, I never left her alone in times of trouble. I never allowed anyone to disrespect those dear to me. Even though I had my own share of weaknesses and fears, I would rather face adversity with my friends than save myself while they suffered.

I knew that yesterday wasn't Aubrey's fault. I knew she wasn't the one who had made those demeaning comments about me. However, the fact that she had remained silent while her cousin insulted me, and the fact that she hadn't given me any attention when she was the one who had insisted I visit her home, affected me more than I expected. It pained me to realize that I didn't hold the same significance for her as she did for me.

"I... I'm not upset with you, Aubrey. Just give me some time," I replied in a gentle tone.

"I apologized yesterday. Are you never going to forgive me?" Her eyes welled up slightly, which made me feel deeply sorry.

Perhaps I was the one who was overreacting? I'd never had friends before, so maybe I was making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. Maybe my hypersensitivity was due to my condition?

"I'm sorry, Aubrey. It's not that I haven't forgiven you. It's just... I need a little time to adjust. I know it wasn't your fault, and I'm sorry for how I've been acting," I reassured her, holding her hand and offering a faint smile. Aubrey returned the smile and pulled me in for a hug.

"It's okay, I understand," she responded softly.

Despite the reassurance, my chest felt a bit heavy, but I swiftly pushed those emotions aside, blaming them up to my oversensitive nature.

After comforting Aubrey, I took my leave and headed to the address I found in the file to deliver it to Sven.

************

"Good afternoon, sir! I'm a student from Westwood Academy and a classmate of Sven Damaris. Our teacher requested me to deliver this file to Sven. May I see him?" I handed my ID card to the guard stationed outside the mansion and asked politely.

He took the card from me, inspected it, and nodded before opening the gate to allow me entry.

I entered hesitantly, facing the imposing mansion door in front of me. My mind was filled with questions and doubts.

What if he gets mad at me for coming to his home?

What if he refused to listen to me?

There were countless doubts in my head, but despite the uncertainties, I didn't want to leave because I felt a huge burden on me knowing that I was the reason for someone's hurting.

With clenched fists, I took determined steps towards the door. I was about to knock when a loud crash from inside the mansion caught my attention.

"ANSWER ME!" A man's voice boomed through the closed doors, making me shudder.

"How dare you talk to your mother like that?" The same voice was heard again.

I quietly opened the door and peeked inside hesitantly. I saw a man standing not far from the entrance, accompanied by a woman.

My gaze landed on Sven, who had a busted lip and a bleeding nose. He also had a deep cut on his hand, from which blood was flowing. A shattered vase lay on the floor beside him.

"I asked you something," the man's voice boomed, but Sven didn't appear fazed, not even a bit, as if...he was used to it?

"A mother?" Sven finally replied, his voice deadly calm. "I don't think I have one." He didn't utter another word, but a tight slap landed on his face.

I gasped, and my hand shot to cover my mouth, holding back a shocking sob. My body trembled like a leaf in the wind. It wasn't just a slap; his father grabbed a belt from his waist, and the sound that followed was chilling.

Thud!

The first strike,

Thud!

The second, and it didn't stop.

Yet, Sven took the punishment in silence, not uttering a word or even a voice of complaint.

My breathing became shallow, making it hard for me to breath. I slowly retreated, my steps taking me back to the wall of the mansion and my body shaking violently. I dropped my bag to the ground and, with trembling hands, retrieved my pills, placing two in my mouth and gulping them down with water from my bottle.

The images from earlier replayed in my mind, causing an intense headache.

"Argh!" I cried out, clutching my aching head. It felt like it would burst.

I need to leave!

I need to leave!

My breathing gradually slowed as the pills started their effect.

I stood up staggering, hardly taking a few shaky steps toward the main gate when my legs refused to move further.

Tears streamed down my face.

That night, that one darkest night of my life, no one came to save us. No one heard my screams, no one answered my pleas, no one rescued me from the hell I faced. If someone did hear, they chose to ignore...

I resented them...

I resented people...

I resented everyone, including myself...

How would I be any different from them if I left like a coward right now?

Things would have been different if someone helped me that night, things would have been different if... Someone had stopped and helped us!

A soft breath released from my lips...

But things were not the same now. The circumstances were not the same now, and I...I was definitely not the same.

I raised my hand to wipe away the tears and turned back, making my way towards the mansion.

My fists clenched at my sides as I heard the noises again, but this time, I didn't stop.

I can do this!

I knocked loudly on the main door, then opened it swiftly, stepping inside. Everyone inside paused, looking at me in astonishment.

My gaze remained fixed on Sven. His eyes widened in shock as he gaped at me, unable to utter a single word.

"G-good afternoon! I'm Elysia, Sven's classmate. Our teacher asked me to pass this file to him." I didn't dare to look at Mr. and Mrs. Damaris, keeping my eyes locked onto Sven without wavering. His lips parted in astonishment, seemingly asking, 'are you out of your mind?'

"I need to share additional instructions from Mrs. Clarke. Come with me!" I declared firmly, taking quick steps toward him, grabbing his arm. Without wasting a moment, I dragged him out of the mansion.

Whether everyone was too shocked to interfere or chose not to, I didn't know, nor did I wish to find out.

Deep down inside, I had wished for someone to come and save us that night. Deep down inside, everyone yearns to be rescued from their darkness.

Yet, that little nine-year-old Elysia wasn't saved that night...

But I'll ensure that no one experiences the same suffering I endured, not as long as I'm alive. I won't let their hopes be buried, as mine was one day.

*****************

Hey, lovely people! Here's a surprise update as my apology for not updating earlier, hope you enjoy reading. Please, don't forget to share your thoughts about it. 😊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

845 22 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
2.2M 73.6K 45
It took every ounce of my willpower not to reciprocate his kiss. Our lips moved in flawless synchrony. I trembled as I felt his tongue tracing my low...
333K 12.3K 80
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...