Heartstrings on the Blue Line...

By emmloui18

She meets a hockey player. She falls in love. He doesn't know what he wants. Distance separates the two. Will... More

chapter one: an unfamiliar face
chapter two: a normal day?
chapter three: game night
chapter four: the aftermath
chapter five: forced
chapter six: the "date"
chapter 7: what do we do now?
chapter eight: day out
chapter nine: not well
Chapter ten: competition
chapter eleven: facing fears
chapter thirteen: if only
chapter fourteen: constant
chapter fifteen: attached
chapter sixteen: responsibility
chapter seventeen: questions
chapter eighteen: my comfort person
chapter ninteen: problems
chapter twenty: dads home
chapter twenty-one: no regrets
chapter twenty-two - hangout
chapter twenty three- exam week
chapter twenty four- christmas
chapter twenty five - united again
chapter twenty six- lake house
chapter twenty seven- another day
chapter twenty eight- late night talking
chapter twenty eight - on thin ice
chapter thirty- solemn
chapter thirty one- back to vancouver
chapter thirty two- graduation
chapter thirty three- p.s i still love you
chapter thirty four: lab life
chapter thirty five: waking up dreaming
chapter thirty six- scotiabank centre
chapter thirty seven- see you again
chapter thirty eight- come back for me
chapter thirty nine: realizations
chapter forty: coming back
chapter fourty one

chapter twelve: its time

1.2K 3 1
By emmloui18

Quinn and I spend at least twenty minutes watching the doubles perform on the ice. My nerves calm down being beside him and every time I see him looking my stomach does a weird backflip.

I know I can't feel like this but I can't stop myself.

Maybe you can bring up the topic of Rachael?? Be a good friend Gen.

"I should head back to our dressing room. I need to get ready well in advance." I say to Quinn as I get up and stretch my arms. he looks up at me with a sweet smile.

"Alright, I'll be here so text me if you need anything." He says to me.

I turn to walk away and he yells "good luck!" As I'm walking away.

I put my hand up and wave to him as I walk away back to our dressing room.

I start getting nervous again as I'm walking down the stairs.

Everything's going to be alright Gen, he is here.

I feel wrong by saying this knowing that he's with someone. He isn't mine to have come all the way up here.  Why is he even here? I just need to stop thinking.

I place my AirPods in my ears and put in my comfort playlist: the Hairspray soundtrack.
I grew up watching it with my mom and I've always loved the music.

I reach the dressing room and see Val. She looks up to me and points me to the seat where I get my hair and makeup all retouched up.

"You get on the ice soon. It's time Genevieve. You are going to rock it." She says softly to me.

"Thanks Val.." I smile softly and take deep breaths.

—————————————————————————

Time-skip (I may have forgotten everything but don't mind that lol)

The doubles are all done and it's now time for women's singles to go out and show the judges their skills.

I took a look at all the competitors on the board; fourteen to be exact including Eva and I.

Countless minutes pass and I stand in the tunnel from the small rink to the big rink. I keep myself moving in my shiny sky blue costume. I feel the fabric rustle along my skin as I try and contain my nerves.

Finally, coach comes up to me.

"It's your time Gen, go out and show em' what you got." She says with a stern but comforting face.

Step by step, I reach the ice. It seems way bigger down here than up in the stands where I was previously.  I take a deep breath.

My heart raced as I stepped onto the ice, the bright arena lights blinding me for a moment. It was finally here, the day I had been practicing for tirelessly. Nerves twisted in my stomach, but I took a deep breath, reminding myself of all the hard work I had put into this moment.

I glanced up at the stands and saw Quinn in the same spot that I left him in with a good view of the rink. He quickly waved to me with a big grin on his face. His presence brought me comfort, knowing I had someone cheering me on. Coach Val stood by the rink, her eyes fixed on me. Her confidence in my abilities gave me the extra boost I needed. I really need to nail this for my own sake.

With shaky legs, I pushed off and began my routine. The familiar music filled my ears as I glided across the ice, trying to ace each move that I was going to do. . Each Lutz, Axel and spin felt like a test of my skills, but I focused on the countless hours of practice that had led me to this moment.

As I neared the end of my routine, a surge of adrenaline rushed through me. I executed my final move with precision, feeling a sense of accomplishment wash over me. The applause from the audience was deafening, but it was Quinn's proud smile and Coach Val's approving nod that meant the most.

I could hear Quinn cheer for me out of all the people clapping. I flash a huge smile and gracefully skate off of the ice. 

Val immediately  bear hugs me as I get off of the ice. "That was amazing Gen!! I'm so proud of you!" She says into my shoulder.

I'm still shaky from the adrenaline. I laugh with her as we talk about the routine and how I did.

As I was talking, I see the next girl walk onto the ice. I hate hiding a persons skill from they appearance, but I do it anyways.

She was a tall, slim blonde with an expensive looking white and gold leotard.

God she looks like she's going to beat the shit out of my score.

I turn my focus from the ice rink back to Val and Eva who had walked over in costume. She gives me a supportive hug.

"You looked awesome out there Gen, god I don't know if I'm going to be that good.

"Thanks Ev, you'll do great though, I saw you practice.  don't even think about doing bad." I giggle and look into her eyes.

Her and Val walk back to the rink and watch the other girls.

I start to walk back to the dressing room when I hear my name called out.

"Gen! Wait!"

I turn my head and see Quinn.
I walk over to him and when we meet he gives me a hug.

"Holy shit you did so good out there! I can't even imagine doing all that shit on skates.." he says as his brown eyes sparkle in the lights.

"I was so nervous out there. I might've looked okay emotionally out on the ice but I was like freaking out inside." I nervously laugh.

He looks me up and down. "I just noticed how tall you are on skates compared to me." He laughs and uses his hands to compare our heights.

"I guess you are just short Quinn." I say trying to annoy him.  Quinn shrugs at my suggestion.

"Want to come with me back to the dressing room? I want to get my phone and eat something because im starving." I complain.

He agrees and we walk over.

We only had a half hour before they compared everyone's score to see the winner of the competition.

"Come on, Eva is texting me saying that coach wants me back." I usher Quinn and we walk back to the big rink.

"Gen, holy fuck you might have won this." Eva says in excitement.

"No way actually?! I didn't do that well.." I say brushing off the subject.

Eva turns and looks at Quinn up and down.

"Quintain what are you doing here?" She says suspiciously.

"Well, I guess-" he rubs the back neck trying to come up with an excuse and is cut off my the announcers voice fills the whole arena.

"It's time to announce our winners for the Glen Powell memorial ice skating competition. The results of the women's singles will be posted momentarily.." the voice of a women says over the speakers.

I don't even want to look at the huge screen. I keep my head away from it and look at Quinn who is patiently waiting with Eva and Val.

All of a sudden I see Eva jumping with pride. She looks at me and turns my head with her hands.

I'm forced to look at the board and there at the gold metal position is my name!

We both scream and jump with our skates still on our feet. Eva didn't place on the podium but was a close third to another girl from Ontario.

"Gen, you have to get out there!" Val tells me in anticipation of me getting my medal.

I take my skate guards off and give Quinn another hug. "Thanks for coming huggy." I say calmly into his neck and then proceed to skate onto the ice.

As  my name was announced, I step onto the top portion of the small podium that was in the middle of the rink.

I felt so proud of myself right there, I had actually won this. To think I was doubting myself.

This is something you're going to remember for a while.

—————————————————————————

As I don't compete any more, Quinn offers to take my back to my dorm. I accept so we can have a talk in his car.  I mean, how bad could it be? This is a perfect excuse to spend more time with him.

Gen I know you didn't just say that. Pick me ass.

I walk out of the arena with Quinn, medal hanging on my neck. I changed back into the clothes I came here with.

"Long ride ahead of us.." Quinn says to me.

"I guess so.. I call aux!" I don't want to listen to Quinn's weird music so I make sure to say that.

I out my stuff in the back of his car, and hop into the front seat of his Porsche.

Quinn starts to back out of the parking spot and his fingers softly brush my arm as he looks back to make sure he doesn't hit anyone.

Even though the contact was a few seconds, my cheeks heat up and I turn to look outside to hide it.

I play Style Taylor Swift and we exit the parking lot.

"On the way back!" Quinn says.

Quinn's right, this is going to be a long drive.

————————————————————————-
A/N!

Hey guys! I know it's weird that I'm actually posting but I just got COVID so I'm staying home from school lol.

Anyways I'm not much of a figure skater so forgive me if this chapter (or more figure skating content in the future) doesn't make much sense. I'm a hockey girl!!

Again if you see any spelling or grammar mistakes I'm sorry, I don't edit these chapters😝

Anyways I love y'all!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 81 12
A second chance romance or someone you never want to see again. A kiss became more but it's time to tell. (Prefaced by Kiss) (Book 4 of Afterglow)
144K 2.7K 43
โ it's hard because i think i love him. and i'm not a home wrecker, I refuse! so i'll stick this out and get over it. โž . . โ‹†๏ฝกหš ๐Ÿงธ ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› โ”...
10.2M 304K 50
Ryan wasn't expecting to end up with the captain of the hockey team as a roommate, and she certainly didn't expect the initial sexual tension between...
65.1K 1.1K 45
"My waves meet your shore, ever and evermore."' Hallyn Boeser was starting a new chapter in her life. A new job, a new city, and new friends. The opp...