Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 12 - Ignite
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive
Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt
To You, What Hidden Behind Your Eyelids

Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To

260 6 0
By Kiriyarin_

Miku's POV:

Sometimes I think, why this silence? There's always trouble when the five of us are together. Even though we are sisters, we are still girls with our own needs— Although Nino causes most of the problems...

My hand instinctively reached for the shampoo bottle beside me. In the past, we used to argue about this all the time before finally deciding to buy our own shampoos. Unlike Nino, Itsuki never caused any issues over shampoo; she mostly went on about food.

I miss them both.

''...''

I'm sure Yotsuba and Ichika feel the same way I do. They're both outside now, the silence is too much.

I wonder, why is this silence so loud?

''Let's see...'' I closed my eyes.

We made a plan for tomorrow. I'll have to skip a few hours of school, but it's crucial, so I suppose it won't be a problem. I hope Madoka is taking good care of her, I'm less concerned about Itsuki than I am about Nino. After all, Asuka is on her side. Come to think of it, Fuutarou and Asuka sure have some unusual connections of people.

As I think about all this, I sink myself deeper into the bathwater.  ''Mmm...''

*Creak...!*

Isn't that front door? I was about to start wondering who it was, when all my curiosity vanished. Instead, Instead, I burst out giggling. At the very least, she continues to be the same.

''Uwaaaaa~~~ I'm dooooooone~ Oya, a-am I the only one?''

''I'm in the bathroom, Yotsuba.'' I knock the bathroom wall twice.

''Miku? Oh, okay. It's nice to know I'm not the only one here. Team activities ended late today, I thought you'd be mad that I was late.''

''With finals so close, do you think it's such a good idea to lose focus?''

''...''

I didn't hear Yotsuba's voice for a while. It's like she's going back and forth between saying something and not saying anything. I doubt Fuutarou knows anything about this. If he found out, he would probably go nuts.

I can understand Yotsuba. After what happened, she doesn't want to project her personal issues onto Fuutarou nor any of us.

''Miku? Can I come?''

''E-eh?! I'm still not out. Then I should get ou—''

Her voice came from just outside the bathroom door. ''No need for that. I already had things I wanted to talk about.''

Before my respond, the bathroom door opened. Yotsuba already taken off her clothes and now she's looking at me with a towel wrapped around her naked body. ''Hehe, I sweated a lot today. I don't wanna wait, would you mind if we don't waste time?"

''Not, I guess. The water is still warm.'' I slide my butt a bit to make enough space for Yotsuba. ''It's just felt weird that you ask for it.''

''...I...sensed that you were a bit worried from your voice. Do you want to talk?''

''Is it that obvious?...'' I sulk. ''I was just thinking about our current situation.''

After Yotsuba got into the bathtub with me, she gently leaned her head back to the edge and began to watch the rising steam from the hot water wafting toward the ceiling. Her relaxation is... evident in every way, from the contented expression on her face to the way her shoulders visibly eased.

''Mmmmmm~~~♡ That felt super good! Actually, you've been pretty quiet for a few days. That is, more than usual Miku silence we used to see.'' 

''...'' She's right, I haven't been much like myself for a few days thinking about what I'm going to do. I probably made those two worried about me too. ''Yotsuba, how do you feel?''

Yotsuba looked pensive for a moment, her eyes still fixed on the ceiling. "Honestly, I've been all over the place recently." she admitted. "I mean, we're all stuck in this weird situation, and it's just tough to figure out what the heck we should be doing."

''Talk about yourself, baka. You're pushing youself too hard that you got a mouth ulcer.''

''E-e-e-ehhh?!'' She quickly touch her lips in panic. ''I wasn't pushing myself hard...''

''Why don't you leave that club? You don't have to forc—''

''No no no! Of course I can't! I will trouble everyone else if I quit. I'm sure I can do both study and my club.''

I hugged my knees underwater and utter in silence. "You really haven't changed much..."

''H-huh? See, now this is strange.''

''Yotsuba?''

''The thing is, Miku—Ichika said the exact same thing to me this morning. I can't be that same, can I! I'm all grown up. Adult, heh. I'm a proper adult!''

''Well, someone who still wears childish panties like this is still a child in my eyes though.''

''AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!! Don't say that out loud! It's not my fault you take bad care of your belongings!''

Indeed, this is the Yotsuba I've known for a long long time. Maybe she really knows more about this than any of us? Something we don't see, something we failed to see.

I chuckled to myself. Perhaps I should have done this from the start. "Yotsuba, can I get your opinion on something?"

"My opinion?" Yotsuba replied as she reached for the shampoo and began to rinse her hair, opening her eyes. "I'm not the best at that, but, heh, send it over! I'll try not to let you down!"

''I ran into Fuutarou today, right after school.''

''With Uesugi-san?''

"I told him there's something I wanna do. Normally we deciced to not saying this to you and Ichika, you two obviously have your hands full... with your jobs.'' 

''Miku...'' Her fists clenched against her chest.

''I'll bring Itsuki and Nino together, tomorrow. We can't let this matter go on any longer, before it ends up in Father's radar. Fuutarou and Asuka agreed to hide this as long as they can from him, but it won't last forever."

''...''

''Shouldn't have kept it from you two, gomen.''

She shook her head. "Nah, no need for apologies. I'm not even mad, for real."

''A-are you sure?...''

''For sure! You did it because you want those two to come back. I wouldn't blame you for that. Plus, you're not wrong either. Tomorrow, Ichika and I gotta head out for shopping, too.'' Yotsuba giggled. ''But where did you get this idea?"

''Not entirely my idea...actually. Kazuma put it in my mind when he was here.''

''K-Kurosawa-san did?! Uwa...''

''That's not the point, but yeah. I'm still looking for a place to bring them together. It shouldn't be too packed, so we can watch from somewhere. I still can't think of the right place yet."

''...''

Yotsuba slowly immerses herself in the water more, as I did. We don't say anything for a while, either of us.

''...''

''...''

''...''

''...''

''...''

''...''

''Yots—!?!''

''I GOT IT!'' She yells, hops out of the water like a dolphin or something. ''How about Ginza Bridge?''

''Ginza Bridge?''

''You know, the one by the Ginza temple. Today's track team training run took us across that bridge. I think it's a super cool spot! If you're looking for a not too crowded place, that's the perfect spot! Plus, it should be easy to watch a bridge."

''Yotsuba, this is... Wait, that's actually a good idea. Surprising.''

''Heh heh heh heh! Of course, it's a go— The hell you mean by 'suprising'?! I'm full of nothing but good ideas.'' She puffs her cheek out and pouts. Cute. ''Hmpf.''

She really knows how to raise the mood. Sometimes there are moments when I wish I was more like her.

''...Hey, do you think this plan will work out?'' I sigh. 

"Better than just sitting around, right? That's why I'm not upset or anything you didn't tell me. In the end, Miku still cares about us a lot!...''

''...''

''Also! I'm sure Nino and Itsuki will catch on your efforts too, no doubt!''

''But I———''

''But there's something I need to ask you too, Miku.''

Yotsuba's expression slowly and slowly became more stony. The bright smile from a few seconds ago now replaced by a blank and unreadable look. Is it a serious matter?... I've never seen her so pale before.

''E-eh? So, I suppose I owe you one.'' 

''How much do you remember the past?''

''Past?...''

''Our Kyoto trip, four years ago.''

''The one we went with Mother?...Not very clear. I just remember we had so much fun, after all, it was our last trip with...her.''

''Anything else you can think of?'' 

''I remember you got lost.'' I closed my eyes to concentrate more. ''We spent hours looking for you, then three children found you by the river.''

''So it's true... Do you remember anything about them?''

My memory of those days is really hazy. I know the day Yotsuba asked me to remember, but not all the specific details. I shook my head in refuse. ''Sorry...''

''I-It's okay! Just wanted to confirm something! I wouldn't expect you to answer a question like that a-a-anyway!''

''𝐈'𝐦 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐝 𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐞 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭.''

''Miku...''

''No, I'm serious Yotsuba. It felt really good talking to you, I was really stressed. Thank you, good to know you're here if everything somehow go worse tomorrow.''

She made a proud smirk and lay her hands on her both sides of her waist. ''Hai! Of course! I always... U-uwa, h-hey!? Iyaaah!...''

I pulled Yotsuba into a tight hug before she finish her pep speech. I guess deep down in my heart I was craving a chat like this, and it felt awesome to have someone in the family who's got my back.

Yotsuba eventually returned the hug, stroking my head just like I did to her.

It feel so warm, or it's just bathwater and I'm about to faint of over-heat? But honestly, who cares about that?

"Mmm...Let Ichika know too, if you can. I might not be able to see her tomorrow."

"Count on me, Miku!" She made a thumbs up, her voice muffled by the steam-filled bathroom. "If things go down smoothly, hit me up with text ASAP, okay?"

''Alright.'' I broke the hug and stepped out of the bathtub. ''I need to sleep early today. Goodnight, Yotsuba.''

"Theeeeeeeeeen~ I think I'll enjoy the bath alone, hehe~" Her gentle smile reflected her playful spirit. "Goodnight, Miku!"

.

.

.

[ Tomorrow Morning, Crystal Hills. 8:45 a.m ]

Irregular heartbeat? Check. Sweating? Check. Self-doubt creeping in? Check. A solid plan? Half-check. I'm currently in the hotel's main hall, standing in front of a decoration mirror. Nino probably warned security after our last visit with Fuutarou, so I couldn't just waltz in without a care.

''Phew...''

I'm glad I trusted my instincts and grab extra wig and clothes this morning; otherwise, this whole situation might have go so wrong from the start.

''...''

It took longer than I thought to get here. It's not my style to skip classes at all, but there's nothing to do. I have to speak with Nino and then get to school right away. I remember the number of her room.

I muttered to myself as I entered the elevator in the luxurious hallway, pressing the button for the floor I'm now heading to. "592..."

A hotel owned by Madoka's family, an oasis without borders. Really, according to my research on the Internet last night, there really is no limit to the existence of the Hosoki family. They have spread all over Japan and have a presence in almost every industry.

Construction, healthcare, education, tourism, entertainment, and even food... It's a heck of a scary multi-company.

I don't want to insult Asuka and Fuutarou, but how the fuck those two have met a person like that? The gap in their social status is just too huge. They shouldn't even be in the same environment.

Dear God, please keep my inner thoughts from reaching them. ''Mmm...''

Fourteenth floor. Crystal Hills wishes you a happy holiday. The door is now opening... 

I'd like to enjoy the elevator ride more, but while I'm all lost in thought, the announcement from the elevator speaker brings me back, to the floor I want to reach.

I walked out of the elevator into the tight corridor. Then, it wasn't really hard to find the door since I came before, but I don't have a room key this time. So, I'm going to knock on the door.

*Knock Knock*

There was a brief moment of silence before the door opened. I was expecting Nino to open the door, but instead I'm met with a different sight. I won't lie, it's an eye-catching one.

''...''

''Madoka...-san? Sorry, Madoka.''

''Is this the sister-disguise they were talking about? Should I consider you as Miku or someone else?"

''I-I'm Miku.'' I bow my head. ''—Ha!? Did y-you immediately realize who I am?''

Woah... I had to raise my head up when the door opened. I didn't notice it on the field trip, but Madoka is quite a tall person. She's probably the same height as Asuka, which even makes her quite taller than us five girls and Fuutarou.

Madoka takes another look at my clothes and the ribbon clasps I got (stole) from Nino's room. "Are you here to persuade Butterfly?"

''W-we...yeah... I'm so sorry for coming unannounced.''

''In fact, I predicted something like this might happen after your phone call. You don't have to apologize.''

''Phone call? Ah... The day Kazuma came.'' I cough a few times. ''Is Nino inside?...''

But what happened between Nino and Madoka is difficult to forget. The things said in the inn bar were truly phenomenal. Madoka was the one who took Nino's first kiss. Although she saved Nino from getting seriously hurt, and I will be forever grateful to her for that, it's hard to understand what Nino's feeling for her now. 

Could it be that Nino has crush on her like Itsuki said? Or she's plotting a huge revenge? Either way, I'm happy that Madoka took care of my sister.

''Yes, she stays in the other room. Come inside.''

''Thank you... I really don't deserve this much understanding.''

''I also have siblings. I am well aware what arguments between siblings are like.

Her words and serene voice tone put me at ease as I stepped into the hotel room. The room was just as luxurious as the rest of the hotel, with a stunning view of the city and sea through the floor-to-ceiling windows. Last time I didn't have time to admire the room since... Since she called security on us.

''Huh...'' My eyes focus on a few pieces of paper and ink on the table. ''Madoka, what are those?''

She closes the door, going back to the table. ''Room procedures. Since Butterfly is underage, I had the room registration taken out under my name.''

''Y-your name?! I thought Nino rented the place with her own credit card.''

"She did. Last night, upon our return to the hotel, I made a request to the lobby change it."

''Why? Even if she's not adult, she should still be able to rent a room, right?'' I tilt my head. ''...''

"Crystal Hills has an inconvenient rule regarding underage guests. The hotel management is obligated to notify your parents when you check out." 

''...! Notify our parents!?'' My eyes widen.

Holy shit, almost everything I worked for was going to trash.

"Yes. The hotel has a policy to ensure the safety and well-being of minors staying on the premises. To avoid any complications with your family, I decided to make the room registration under my name temporarily. I also informed the hotel staff not to disclose any information about her stay to anyone."

''That's... thoughtful of you.''

 What can I even say?...

Madoka nodded, her expression serious. "I want her to have a peaceful and comfortable environment during her stay here. Butterfly's feelings about her family are not the best."

''...'' I gulped.

 ''However, she may now lend an ear to your words, or, at the very least, bestow due consideration upon them. We spoke with a few acquaintances last evening—" I'm not sure what I saw, but I think I saw a faint smile on Madoka's face, even if just for a moment. ''—I believe it may have been beneficial for Nino."

Uhh?...I don't quite understand what Madoka meant, just I was about to ask when the bedroom door on the other side of the room opened. The person I was expecting to see was there, and she now looking at me with her eyes wide open. Just as I expected. 

''M-Miku!?'' She stepped back the moment she saw me. ''What the heck!?''

''Nino. Pardon my intrusion.''

''What, so I don't have any privacy anymore now?'' Her eyes focused now to Madoka. ''Oi, why did you take her in?!''

''There was no reason to refuse, butterfly. You said yesterday that you would reconsider your situation. Here's the opportunity to do so."

''Y-you know v-v-very well that's wasn't what I mean! M-Mou! Ahhh!'' Nino suddenly began to mumble, then turned to me. ''Listen here, I won't return back home no matter what you're going to say!''

While she was gathering herself to talk, I had already poured tea. Yeah, it took her a while to recover. ''I poured some tea, want some?''

''HEY! This is MY room, you know!!'' She protested, pouting.

As we continued to argue, I noticed that Madoka had already immersed herself in her paperwork. It's quite clear that she preferred not to get involved, implying that she wanted us to solve the issue on our own.

Right. It's best to have a one-on-one conversation in her room. After expressing my gratitude to Madoka, Lady Hosoki, with a slight bow once more, I gently shutting the door to Nino's room.

Now it's the just two of us.

Face to face.

.

.

.

''As if it wasn't bad enough that you and Uesugi were following me, now you've come as me? Heck, you've become a full-fledged stalker now?!'' Nino slammed her hand on coffee table and frown. ''Grr...''

Nino's room looks quite messy. She probably didn't have a chance to arrange her belongings properly when she check-in. The makeup set in front of the sink are completely scattered, and her clothes are almost burst out of her suitcase.

While Nino was lost in her weird daydream, I seized the opportunity to pour myself some tea. "I had to go through security. They couldn't stop you."

''A-anyway! I hope there's a good reason for coming here.''

''I have.'' I take a sip from the tea, it's bitter. ''Are you really sure you don't want to come back home, Nino?''

''And just why should I return?''

''...Because?''

''I'm stressed enough just by living inside that house. Our preferences have already changed back then, and we often fought because of that. So even with all of that, you still want us, who are already disconnected from eachother to live together now?''

''You say these words just to say them. The Nino I know would have felt remorse after something like that. Itsuki also left home because of you. You did the biggest disrespect to her that you could in front of her boyfriend and our tutor.''

''She left?...''

''Right after you left. Nino, don't you think it's time to admit that you were the one who was wrong?''

''I know that.''

''What?''

''I KNOW THAT, OKAY?! I've had a chance to think about it a lot these last few days. When I realized that those two had turned us into completely different people...anger consumed me." Nino leaned back on the bed, her gaze fixed on the ceiling as if searching for answers there. "I felt like I was losing myself, Miku. Losing who I was, what I wanted, and what I stood for.''

''Nino, are you blaming Asuka and Fuutarou for that?''

''No. Not anymore. Talking to the right people has clear my mind a little bit.''

''Do you mean that you w——''

''But that doesn't mean I'm entirely wrong. I stand by what I say. What's the point? I told you before; we're disconnected.''

''...''

Nino's empty eyes turned towards me from the ceiling. Like she wants me to say something, like she wants me to reject everything she says. ''Tell me, tell me... Is there any meaning for us to be together now?...''

''𝗕𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝘄𝗲'𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝘆.''

''Ha?!...W-wha!?''

''Isn't that enough reason for us? You must think that we have changed a lot, right Nino?''

''You can't deny this. No one can.''

''I won't. But to us, you yourself have changed too.''

People tend to only see the change in their own environment, they can never see the change in themselves unless someone holds a mirror for them. Nino, you don't know it yet, but you're the one who has changed the most.

''Changed...? Where?

I examine the teapot over the table. ''It may be a bit of an absurd example, but. Black tea, I saw it in the teapot when I came in. You used to hate it.''

''Just that?! You kiddin' me, right?''

''After all, each one of us is only %20, a fifth part of a single person.''

''Don't talk in riddles! Am I supposed to understand shit something from this?'' Nino pouts. ''Twenty percent...huh?''

''Nino, can I tell you a secret? I was going to tell this when we were playing The Game Of Life before the midterms, but I just gave up.'' I took a deep breath, I have to talk now. ''Honestly, I like Sengoku Generals from the very start.''

''...''

''...''

''Ha? Wait, Sengoku generals? You mean those plump old men?''

''Yeah, don't judge me...Haha, this is my %20.'' I slowly bring close the teacup I hold to my lips, taking a huge sip from the tea.  ''And I hate Black Tea as well.''

She rolls her eyes. "Then why are you drinking that poison-like thing? We have sweet tea and milk tea in the room. God, you're total idiot sometimes."

''Because I would have never known about it if you weren't here, Nino.''

''
𝗖𝗲𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗹𝘆, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘂𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝘀𝗶𝗺𝗶𝗹𝗮𝗿 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗽𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗲𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝘄𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵 𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿.''

''𝗛𝗼𝘄𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿, 𝘄𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗰𝗸 𝗮𝘁 %𝟮𝟬 𝗼𝗳 𝗮 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻...''

''𝗪𝗵𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘂𝗴𝗵...''

''...𝗪𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗿𝘆...''

''...𝗢𝗿 𝘄𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗮𝗱.''

''𝗘𝗮𝗰𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝘂𝘀 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗱 𝗱𝗶𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘄𝘁𝗵 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗿𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘄𝗲𝗮𝗸𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝘀, 𝘄𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝗱𝘂𝗹𝘁 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻.''

''𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝘄𝗵𝘆, 𝗜𝘁'𝘀 𝗢𝗞 𝗯𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗶𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁.''

Words I want to say. Words I can finally put into words. Words that I finally understand the meaning of. Here are all my feelings towards us, my family. So that's what Kazuma meant... Somehow, it feels like I've finally done everything right.

What about you, Nino? Have my feelings reached you?

No— Not my feelings, but the feelings of all four of us.

''Miku I...'' Nino's tense shoulders began to drop, and tears began to form in her eyes ''...I don't know what to do. Please, help me...''

"Heh, all you have to do is ask. It's a bit late, but I can live with that. ''Let's start with baby steps, with apologies.''

''Apologies? O-okay, I can do that! Miku, I'm so sor—''

''Not from me, baka.'' 

''E-eh?!''

I tilt my head. ''Do you think I'm the one you should apologize to?''

''Right, Itsuki... I'll text her.''

"I think I'm in favor of discussing these matters in person. Why not give it a try? Besides, everyone is at school now, we don't want to disturb them." 

''You said she left home, any idea where she stays currently? Oh, I bet she's staying in one of the nearby hotels like me.''

I won't say where Itsuki's staying, there's no need for that right now. ''It's no big deal, but I know where she'll be tonight. You've got a chance, will you try it?''

''...Alright, I'm in.'' Nino nodded, wiping away the tears attacking her eyes. "I don't want to keep things like this forever, and I have to fix the mess I've made."

''Good. That's a start. The meet-up spot's gonna be at the Ginza Bridge. 8 o'clock."

''Huh? Ginza Bridge?... Ain't that the place near the big old temple on that huge-ass hill?"

''Yup.''

And the first part is done. She has to come now, your turn of Asuka. Don't let me down.

In all my honesty, I was expectin' things to go way worse. Nino, she ain't as headstrong as I figured today– I sure didn't see her giving in so quick. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out whose work it is.

''Nino...''

''What now?''

I turn my head towards the closed door to express my gratitude once more to the person on the other side. "Can I ask a personal question?"

She responds with an exhausted eye roll and takes a seat on her bed. ''You wore my clothes and followed me here. Don't you think we're far past the personal part? I-I'll allow you! Don't get the wrong idea! Just because you helped me today!...''

''I see, my question is... What's your relationship with Madoka?''

''Say what?! What the heck!...AAAAHHHH?!....Is this the kind of question you ask?''

"Hehe, you look adorable when you're all freaked out."

''Cut the useless crap!'' Nino's face turns red as she stammers in surprise. ''F-Fine...''

''You don't have to answer, I was just curio—''

''She's my enemy.''

''Enemy? Quite an interesting choice of words. I thought you two were on good terms."

''What did you expect? She stole my first kiss. You think I should just forgive her and move on with my life? I can't do that. I won't do that.''

''Ehh...She's a bad person to make enemies with. She can probably end your existence with a snap of her finger, and they won't even find your corpse."

''Oi! Madoka is nothing like that! I didn't even finish my sentence, so shut your trap now." Nino took a breath. ''She's also my student. Madoka told me she didn't feel anything about kisses or anything like that. So I'll take revenge on her! I definetly will teach her the value and importance of what she stole from me so she's going to regret it too!''

What the heck? What kind of rom-com anime is that?

''You sure you want to do this? I can see that Madoka genuinely cares about you. I mean, she came to look after you, even when Fuutarou asked her to, didn't she? She could simply refuse and continue her life. What kind of revenge are you planning anyway?''

A smug and devilish grin suddenly popped on Nino's face, as if she was waiting for me to ask this. Oops. ''Glad you asked! I can show you.''

Uhh...Should I worry? Shoot! I wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

Nino jumped out of bed, unlocked the door I previosuly locked, and dashed outside. I followed behind her. The large room is still the same as when we left it, and Madoka was still working on documentation at the desk. Despite the fact that she had nearly completed the majority of the scary-looking mountain of papers by this point. 

Madoka rose from her seat and placed her pen on the table when she saw the two of us leaving the room.

Nino most likely has no idea that this hotel is owned by the Hosoki Company. If Madoka hasn't told her this already, I guess I'm supposed to keep it secret too. Also possibly the name change thingy as well.

Is she keeping it secret on purpose? Or does she think it's something so unimportant that she doesn't even need to say it outloud?

''It becomes highly difficult to distinguish when you two both wear the same things. Interesting, I never had this problem with Miwari and Hibari.'' she said.

''Uwa, sorry. I forgot there is no need for these clips anymore.'' I took the butterfly clips out of my hair and put them in my pocket. I prefer my headphones rather than wearing clips anyway. ''I'm Miku.''

''Actually, it's not that hard. Who else but Miku has such a bland face?''

---?! The audacity!

''No one else but Nino has such an annoying face, grr. What do you mean by bland?''

''And what the heck you mean by annoying?''

Madoka crossed her arms. ''Now that you two can tease each other like that, I suppose you must have figured things out.''

Nino and I stare each other;

''We did. / You bet, heck yeah!''

''Have you decided to return back home yet, butterfly?''

''Yes, I will. And umm...Madoka... Thanks for staying last night. I know it was because Uesugi told you so but you didn't have to, so thank you really. It really means a lot.''

Wait a second, this is Nino, who constantly treats me rudely and uses my things without permission, right? Why is she being so polite now? This calls for a new milestone for these eyes of mine.

''Nino, weren't you going to show me something?'' I said. ''I still must go to school. I already skipped too many classes today.''

''You're right. Madoka, I'll have to borrow you for a moment.''

''...Butterfly?''

The events that followed are permanently engraved in my memory. Nino, oh my gosh...Really, you can't be doing that. 

Nino tugged Madoka's white sweater delicately, stepped to her fingertips, and kissed her on the lips. And it's not just any average kiss, either; she uses everything she has straight.

U-u-uwaaaaaaah?! T-that's a lot of t-tongue. W-what?!

My eyes widened, and my face turned beet red. I feel like I'm intruding on something incredibly private. Nino were locked in a deep, passionate kiss. 

I stand there, frozen in shock, as Nino continues the unexpected and rather bold move. Madoka, on the other hand, seems surprisingly calm and composed, as if she anticipated this to some extent.

''Nino... What are you doing!?'' I manage to stammer out, my face turning crimson. 

''Kissing her, obviously.'' Nino smirks, pulling away from Madoka.  ''It's a little something to make her remember what she took from me.''

''...!''

.

.

.

[  Tonight, Ginza Bridge. 7:45 p.m  ]

Third Person POV:

Today, the weather forecast showed clear skies, Miku chose the simplest clothes she could wear when she left home an hour ago. She wasn't going out to have fun; she was going to do her best to fix her family's future.

It had been a few minutes since she entered the bridge's line of sight. Nino knew she would be here, but Itsuki was still unaware; if she saw Miku, all their plans may be ruined. Miku moved behind a wall at the east entrance of the bridge. She was excited but at the same time worried.

The promised time was approaching. She took out her cell phone and texted her accomplice;

- - -

『 𝘍𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘔𝘪𝘬𝘶 𝘵𝘰 - - - - > 𝘈𝘴𝘶𝘬𝘢 』

M: Annoying-Face has taken her place, how is Starfish doing?

A: According to map, we should be getting closer, aaaaany second now. Wait, what the fuck are Annoying-Face and Starfish? 

M: Codenames. Isn't that how it works in manga? Too much? :( 

A: Hell naw, sister! It's like Detective Conan Case Files, I think it's dope! What are ours? :> :> :>  Bet something super cool, right right? 

M: Mermaid and Gold. Too ordinary?

A: Mmm...We could probably find something better, but let's roll with these for now. Yo, we just passed the Torikawa statue, so we gotta be there in a few. I'll direct her to the bridge, right?

M: Yes, one second. How are you going to do that without attracting suspicion? Besides, how did you even get Starfish out of the house?

A: I asked if she wanted to go grab some snacks together. Heh, she agreed right away. As for the bridge, I'll figure something out now, don't stress about it.

M: This is lying. I never thought I'd see you do something like this, Asuka. Maybe I need to reconsider my opinions about you, hmpf.

A: Hey hey hey, chill chill! >:/ ...Technically I didn't lie. We actually bought chips and milkshakes on the way. It's just that Itsuki finished them all before even getting on the train. (including mines)

M: I'm just messing, don't worry. Arigato, without you, I'd be in a real tight spot. By the way, isn't Fuutarou coming?

A: Nah, he wanted to come at first, but I sent him back to penthouse. Yotsuba and Ichika still gotta keep their heads in the books. I'm glad Annoying-Face is doing well.

M: Yeah, she's doing good... A little too good, even.

A: What's that supposed to mean? Ah, nevermind I gtg. I saw the bridge. I'll be there in a minute. See you in...dunno...in 40 seconds, hehe.

M: Cya, behind white wall. Also that's not Torikawa statue. It's Tojikawa, dummy.

A: 🤓☝️

- - - 

Miku let out a heavy sigh of relief and snapped her phone shut. She looked once more at the bridge, and at the lady on it. Nino was watching the waves coming and going on the bridge. The Ginza Bridge created a wonderful view as it was built over a river passing through the city.

Luck was on their side for today; no tourists or locals were on the bridge at the moment. This provides Miku with a solid vantage point and enough silence to hear clearly.

A few seconds later, rustling sounds came from behind the bushes behind the wall where Miku was hiding. Eventually, a familiar face appeared from the side of the wall that opened onto the street. Unlike the bridge, the street was still has some people shopping, so they had to hope they wouldn't be spotted by strangers or anyone like that now.

''What's up, Mermaid?''

''Asuka...''

''That would be me. How are you holdin' up?''

''I've had better days. You look nice.'' Involuntarily, Miku blush. ''...''

''Thanks for the compliment, you look stylish too. Is that a real CHANEL coat?''

''It was Father's birthday present.''

Asuka knelt in the empty spot next to Miku and looked at the bridge as she did. ''I told Itsuki that I had to use the restroom and asked her to wait for me on the bridge. So that's where our task ends, right?''

''The rest is up to them.'' Miku nods.

''You know, it feels nostalgic. Spying on someone like that is like, deja vu.''

''Ehh?... Have you done this before? Weird.''

''Hey, it ended well. Yoyogi Park is now a sacred place for our certain people.''

''I know it might be unnecessary to ask all of a sudden, but... Why did you agree to help me? I mean, even if Itsuki is your girlfriend, this is a family matter."

Asuka's azure eyes that focused on the bridge slowly turned to Miku with a little smile. ''Miku, you know I have no siblings, right?''

''Yes, you mentioned it before.''

''It's true, I'm an only child. But in my childhood, there was someone I saw as my own older sister—the one I idolized back in the day.'' His expression took on a bittersweet quality. ''I understand how important the concept of siblinghood is.''

Miku put her hand over her heart. ''Was? Is she...gone?''

''No. She's still alive, if that's what you mean. She's just changed, become someone I don't want to cross paths with anymore."

Silence hung in the air for a moment. ''...''

''Not exactly a happy-ending fairy tale. Besides, I can't tell you anyway. I made a promise.''

Her eyes flickered. "Promise? Fuutarou also said the sa—?"

Miku's words suddenly cut short when Asuka raised his hand to silence her. His index finger pressed gently against his lips. "Ssh...! Itsuki is heading to the bridge." he whispered, the hushed tone emphasizing the need for caution.

When the two looked at the bridge from beyond the wall, they saw that Itsuki was indeed heading towards the bridge, walking under the street lamps. 

''The time has come. Miku, are you worried?''

''A bit. There's always a chance to this night might turn to be a disaster.''

Asuka chuckled. "Then let this night be a sweet disaster."

.

.

.

''Mou, Asuka! You should have gone to the restroom before you left the house. I'll sulk at him when he comes back, hmpf. Geez, wind hits hard today.''

After Asuka left, Itsuki found himself heading to the bridge to wait for her. The starry night and the view of the river below somehow made the night a bit more tolerable, especially with the soft glow of the streetlights.

Itsuki saw her when she came to the center of the bridge, leaning against the parapets of the bridge, she too enjoys the view of the river.

Eventually, they notice each other.

''...! / ...''

''Nino...''

''Itsuki.''

''W-what are you doing here?''

''I was waiting for you. I thought we could talk...'' Nino's voice wavered slightly, nervous about how Itsuki would react.

Itsuki clenched her fist.  ''How did you know I'd be here— Asuka! Urgh, of course...''

''Yeah, my reaction was like this too.'' Nino rolled her eyes in boredom, crossing her arms. ''Do you have the patience to talk to me or are you going to walk away?''

''Dunno, you're still going to act like a jerk?

"Give me a break—Look, I know my reaction at the time wasn't the right one. That's why I came here in the first place." Nino's tone softened, and she looked at Itsuki with a sincerity that wasn't there before. ''Can you atleast listen?

Itsuki eyed Nino waril yet still unsure about this unexpected encounter. The wind picked up, causing a slight rustle in the air, followed by Itsuki's sigh. ''...Sigh. Fine, let's hear what you have to say.''

Nino clinged to her left arm with her right hand. ''I shouldn't have been so harsh about the whole thing. It's just... I didn't know how to handle these situations, you know?''

''Nino, we—''

''Itsuki, you're not at fault here, it's me. So, I'm sorry.''

''A-are you serious when you say this?...''

''The only thing you did wrong is... Uhh, you didn't hold back I guess. That bitch slap nearly killed me.''

''I never thought it would turn out like this.'' 

''Me too, fate is cruel sometimes. What do you say? Can you forgive me? I'll also apologize to Asuka and Uesugi.''

Something surged inside Itsuki. She didn't know what it was, but it was enough to bring tears to her eyes. She tightly embraced Nino after hanging the shopping bag on her shoulder. Then Itsuki rest her head on Nino's shoulder.

''H-hey! Don't... You're soaking my clothes, hey!''

''Uwaaah...~ Ninooooo~~~ I'm so so so glad!'' 

''Stop crying, hey... Oi, you'll make me cry too.''

Itsuki chuckled through her tears as she realized the absurdity of the situation. She pulled back from the embrace, wiping away her tears with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I didn't mean to get emotional. It's just... I didn't expect this, Nino."

Nino awkwardly patted Itsuki on the back. "Yeah, yeah, it's fine. I didn't expect to be hugged out of the blue either. So, are we good?"

Yet her resist to tears was a failure.

''We're good. Now and always.'' Itsuki held Nino's palm. ''Are you going to come back home? If you come back, I will come too.''

''I couldn't stay in the hotel forever anyway. Shall we go back? It's getting cold outside, and I definitely don't want to freeze my ass off.''

Itsuki closed one eye and stuck her tongue out. "Mmm, naaahhh~~~ Look, the moon is rising. If Asuka went behind my back like this, he has to wait now; I want to spend some time with my sister."

"Moon?" Nino looked beyond the horizon from the bridge, just as Itsuki had said. The moon had risen, revealing the true beauty of the Ginza district.

''We have a lot to talk about, don't we? I can't think of a better place to do it~''

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.9K 1.9K 35
Y/N was a guy who dedicated himself to becoming someone that everyone could depend on. A reunion with a childhood sweetheart doesn't hurt his cause a...
44.3K 585 24
Yuki was born in a rich family and has Quintuplet sisters but sadly he was thrown into a orphanage after they seen that he isn't a girl. Yuki had a r...
125 1 18
Fuutarou has made his choice. So what happens now? Let's delve deep into the fallout of Fuutarou's choice and the end of the manga. This story wil...
104K 3.2K 86
Y/N, upon death, is isekai'd into an anime. Thinking they would wake up with great powers, Y/N is stunned to realize that they were reborn as the mai...