BEGIN BEFORE THE END | WTM |...

By Rifter29

Follow the story of Cathy Potter as she and the entire school of Hogwarts sees what their future has in store... More

DISCLAIMER
BEGIN BEFORE THE END
ACT 1
PROLOGUE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
ACT 2
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
ACT 3
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64

54

4.6K 166 16
By Rifter29

CHAPTER 54
|WINDS OF CHANGE|

REGULUS BLACK

Regulus was sitting down on the grass in the courtyard enjoying the sun that was warming up his skin. The Great Hall for some reason was somewhat cold whenever they were there watching the films. It reminded him of the times that Lily and Cathy convinced him and Severus into entering a muggle cinema.

He didn't enjoy the fact that the giant room was cold but Lily explained that the reason for that was that the film they watched that day didn't have that many people in the audience and so their body temperature didn't raise the rooms temperature.

Which was why now most of the people that were watching the films were outside soaking up as much sunlight as they could. Regulus threw his head back and closed his eyes as he faced the sunlight. He would have enjoyed sitting there if it weren't for Evan Rosier talking loudly next to him.

"I can't believe you were sure a rebel." Evan said nudging Regulus with his shoulder. "Having a secret life like that. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Then it wouldn't be a secret." Regulus told him.

Evan didn't seem to appreciate the answer. "But still--"

"Oh leave him be!" Barty Crouch said. He was a boy that was a year older than him and was sitting in front of them.

The entire courtyard was seemly full of Slytherin student trying to be warmed up by the sun. The other houses didn't try to rest in the area that the Slytherin's silently claimed with their presence.

Several of the Slytherins were all sitting in their own little circles and discussing their views and opinions on the recent revelations that were revealed to them by the films that they had watched. The first film was played late last night and most of the students went to bed right after.

But now, the second flim started during the morning and ended a little before noon. All the school seemed to talk about was their future as a society.

A lot of people who thought themselves superior to others had been subjected to a rude awakening. First of all, Catherine being a Chaos Castor proved that their beliefs in blood supremacy were not only wrong but resulted in their families losing magic.

Furthermore, as if that wasn't bad enough, Voldemort, the Dark Lord that most of them were praising and supporting and almost damn near worshipping turned out to be a false god. A pretender who fed off their insecurities and racist opinions. A hypocrite.

The scenes in the second film that had scenes of the times he spent with Cathy were well chosen in Regulus' opinion. They showed Cathy's interpretation of how unjust and misunderstood people were on both sides of the political climate they currently lived in.

If Regulus was being honest, he was glad. Looking around himself he saw what Cathy had always wanted. For people to see the world the way she did. Viewing the films the way they did made it easy for them to relate and associate with the world they lived it and also see their actions and beliefs from another angle.

Now people were talking and discussing their actions. They were re-evaluating the thoughts and beliefs that they had had their entire lives.

Regulus couldn't help but feel a bit happy that now there were more people like him. People that questioned whether or not they were in the moral right.

"Uh-oh." Evan said disturbing his thoughts. "Look who's coming our way."

Regulus looked at who Evan was talking about and saw that the marauders were heading their way.

James was leading the group as usual and stutted through the many slytherin students sitting on the ground. As he expected, James stopped in front of them, his body blocking out the sun and throwing a shadow over him.

"Black." James greeted him rather stiffly.

"Hello Potter." Regulus replied. He couldn't remember the last time they had ever spoken to one another. Had they ever?

"Anything we can help you with?" Evan asked.

None of the Slytherin's had stood up. They just sat on the ground and squinted their eyes as they looked up at the seventh year boys.

"Have you seen James' sister?" Remus asked.

Only when he looked to Lupin did he noticed that Sirius was standing behind the him and the group instead of next to James like he usually did.

"Catherine?"

"Cathy." James stated as if correcting him.

Regulus noticed how James tried to keep from frowning when he spoke to him. The marauders had ventured into a serpents pit and were now surrounded by Slytherin students.

Before they would hold their heads high and look down on them. Cathy's words from the film must have had a stronger impact on their than he thought. Usually whenever they addressed a slytherin student, James and Sirius would look for any little reason to deduct points from their house. The aftermath of the second film seems to have humbled them quite a bit.

"I haven't seen her." Regulus told James. "Why do you want to know?"

"Our parents want us to have lunch together." James said. "If you see her, tell her we're looking for her."

James turned around and walked away with his little group following close behind him.

"They seem different." Evan said when the marauders were far enough not to hear him. "Sort of quieter."

"Yeah." Barty nodded also noticing their behavior.

Regulus got up to his feet and brushed the dirt and grass off his clothes.

"Where are you off to?" one of the other slytherin boys asked him.

"I have to tell Catherine that her parents called for her." Regulus said.

"I thought you said you didn't know where she was." Evan said.

"I said I haven't seen her." Regulus corrected. "I didn't say I don't know where she is."

"Ooh, can I come?" Evan said eagerly. "I think I should introduce myself to her."

"Best save it for another time." Regulus told him.

He walked out of the courtyard, carefully stepping around the other students. Once he was out, Regulus walked toward the Whomping Willow.

Once he got close to the usually violent tree, he found Cathy sitting on top of its branches looking over at the lake. Her usual brown hair was starting to turn red which was made more visible in the sunlight.

"Enjoying the view?" Regulus called out to her.

Cathy turned around and smiled when she saw him.

"Just trying to process in peace." She told him. "Yourself?"

"I was doing the same but then your brother told me that he was looking for you." Regulus informed her. "Said your parents wanted to have lunch with you."

Cathy sighed and slid off the branch she was sitting on. She magic levitated her in the air and she flew down to him. Regulus reached out and took her hand as she landed in front of him.

"How did they seem?" Cathy asked.

"Who?"

"James, the students, everyone."  Cathy said.

Regulus smiled.

"It's like you always said. People are starting to question the things that they accepted as facts their whole lives. It seems like Ryan was right to make sure that there was a pause between each film."

Cathy nodded. "Revealing too many things to fast would just cause mass panic, confusion. People would attack each other for their flaws and never try to sort out their faults."

"Do you think that's why the films are being played hours apart from each other?"

"Possibly. It's also possible that the people in the future just wanted to give us the opportiunity to take a piss every now and then."

"That's also a possiblilty." Regulus laughed.

Cathy smiled as she placed a hand on Regulus' cheek.

"Funny, isn't it? Two days ago we couldn't even be seen together and now--"

"Now it doesn't matter." Regulus said. He took her hand and pressed it to his lips. "I have to say I am enjoying how liberating it is."

"Me too." Cathy smiled.

"I love you." Regulus said. Cathy's eyes opened wide. "I know that I never said it before because I was afraid that once we graduate we'd have to go our separate ways. But now I know what I've always known."

"And what is that?" Cathy asked.

"We're meant to be." Regulus told her. "It's like Salazar Slytherin told Ryan. We were always meant to find each other. One way or another."

"I'm not going to lie...that creeps me out a bit."

"Oh good I thought it was just me." Regulus chuckled making Cathy laugh. "As the words came out of my mouth, they didn't sound as romantic as they sounded in my head."

"I suppose not!" Cathy laughed. After the laughter subsided, Cathy smiled at Regulus sweetly. "But I appreciate it."

Cathy leaned forward and her lips connected with Regulus and he wrapped his hands around her waist as the kiss deepened.

When their lips parted, Regulus leaned down and softly pushed his forehead against Cathy's.

"So now what?" Regulus asked.

Cathy looked hesitant for a seconds. "Do you still want to meet my parents?"

CATHY POTTER

Cathy would be lying if she said that she was calm. As she walked back into the stone corridors of Hogwarts the glances and stares that were being sent her way made her wary of the looks that her parents would give her.

Regulus was the one who wanted to hold her hand as they walked. Funny how much he seemed to enjoy physical displays of affection now that they had no reason to hide their relationship. She was still on the fence about it.

As they walked through the giant doors that led to the Great Hall, Cathy was absolutely terrified to talk to her parents. Regulus on the other hand was calm, almost eager to meet them. That'll change soon, Cathy thought.

Remus was the first one to see them. He raised his hands and caught her eye. He waved them over and Cathy saw that her parents were sitting with James and the rest of gryffindors that were in their year. That was suprising. Usually James just sat with Sirius, Peter and Remus.

This time Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, Alice, Frank and his mother were all sitting grouped together.

"Last chance to change your mind." Cathy told Regulus.

Fleamont turned to who Remus was waving at and smiled when he saw his daughter. The smile immediately turned into a frown when he saw Regulus standing next to her.

"It'll be fine." Regulus replied.

Regulus took the first few steps forward and pulled Cathy with him. The two of them walked over to the Gryffindor table and the group quiet down as they approach.

When they're standing in front of them, Cathy was the first one to speak.

"Hello everyone." She greeted. There was an awkward silence after that. Regulus cleared his throat and Cathy continued. "Guys, this is Reg. Reg, this my dad, Fleamont."

"Nice to meet you sir." Regulus politely stuck out his hand. Fleamont had the courtesy to stand up and shake it but he just grunted in reponse.

"And that's my mum, Euphemia." Cathy gestured to her mother.

"Hello, Missus Potter."

Euphemia was more polite to Regulus than her husband. "Nice to meet you, Regulus. Please join us."

"Thank you." Regulus nodded.

Frank and his mother, Augusta, shifted to the right and made a space for Cathy and Regulus to sit down. After they did, there was another long awkward silence.

"So...what were you talking about?" Cathy asked.

"Um...you actually." Dorcas answered.

"Me? What about me exactly?"

"Mostly just you and Regulus." Lily told her. "Dating and things."

"Right."

Regulus grabbed a goblet and took a sip as Fleamont eyed him critically.

"Speaking of, what are your intentions with my daughter?" Fleamont said in a demanding way.

Regulus coughed and put the goblet back on the table. "I'm sorry?"

"What exactly is the reason you are...with her?" Fleamont looked disgusted at the last words he uttered.

"Dad." Cathy said in a warning tone.

"No, no, Cathy, I accept the fact that this the man that you are meant to marry but right now I want to ask him something." Fleamont turned to Regulus. "What is it about my daughter that you find so...appealing."

Regulus sat up right and looked at Fleamont directly in the eye.

"Mister Potter, I love you daughter."

Dorcas and Mary, who were sitting next to each other, gasped.

"What?" Fleamont looked very annoyed at Regulus' answer.

"Take it back! Take it back!" Cathy whispered to him under her breath.

"I won't apologise or lie to you about that." Regulus continued. "It's true that at times I find her rude and crass and vulgar and she seems to enjoy the reactions that she forces out of people around her."

"True." James murmured.

"Where are you going with this?" Cathy asked feeling a bit insulted.

"But she's also kind and gentle. She sees people for who they truly are and she doesn't judge." Regulus turned to Cathy and smiled at her. "She understands people. She has this way of bringing out the absolute worst and best in them. For me, it's always been the latter thankfully."

Regulus turned back to Fleamont.

"You raised an incredible daughter and you're right to be wary of me, sir. I'd be too if I were in your place. But if you give me a chance, I swear you'll see that I can make her as happy as she makes me feel."

"Aww." Dorcas and Mary swooned together.

"God I hate being single." Marlene said to herself and received an empathetic pat from Lily that didn't make her feel any better.

Fleamont stared Regulus in the eye. Regulus stared back and didn't falter under his gaze.

"All I asked for was what you liked about my daughter. I didn't need an advance copy of your wedding vows." Fleamont told him.

The entire table burst into laughter and became more relaxed after that.

"I'm sorry." Regulus apologised again.

Fleamont turned to Cathy. "Do you like this boy?"

Cathy looked at Regulus and grabbed his hand. "I do."

"Hmm." Fleamont nodded before turning to Sirius. "He's not the racist little bastard you said he was."

"What?" Regulus looked at his brother.

"Oh yeah Sirius bad mouths your entire family." Cathy said. "It's kind of the whole reason I didn't want you to meet my parents."

"Sorry about that." Sirius said to his brother.

Regulus looked surprised at the apology that Sirius gave him.

"No worries." Regulus said.

"Hmm." Sirius went back to eating quietly.

"Catherine, pass the bread please." Euphemia said.

"Sure." Cathy raised her hands and levitated the platter holding the slices of bread into the air and over to her mother.

The entire table went quiet and stared at Cathy as she placed the platter down. Cathy looked at all of them and felt a little nervous.

"Does me using Chaos magic weird you guys out?" She asked.

"No Catherine." Euphemia said.

"Just takes some getting use to is all." Fleamont said.

The table went back to eating. James took a sip of his tea and frowned.

"This has gone cold." he complained.

"Let me." Cathy waved her hand and steam started to come out of the James' cup.

"Hey, thanks."

"You're welcome." Cathy replied.

Fleamont and Euphemia sat at their seats in shock at the exchange between their eldest son and daughter.

"Mia. Our daughter just did something nice for her brother." Fleamont told his wife.

"And James thanked her for it. Genuinely. Without sarcasm or an insult attached at the end." Euphemia replied.

"What? We can be nice to each other." Cathy said.

"No you can't." Lily, Remus, Dorcas, Marlene, Remus, Sirius and Peter said in unison.

"See? They think its odd as well." Fleamont said.

"It's the films." Regulus said.

"What about them?" Frank asked.

"Last night before the first film started, Ryan said we would use what we learn to make better choices. To be better people. He didn't just mean that for the Dark Lord's followers he meant that for everyone."

"People are more humble." Regulus glanced at James and then turned to Cathy. "Others less petty and more kind."

"He's right." Marlene said. She looked around and noticed that more people were speaking and sitting with people of other houses. Not many but definiately more than usual. " Look around us."

"The winds of change are blowing it seems." Remus said.

"Excuse me!"

Everyone turned to see an old man who looked remarkably like the headmaster arrive at the doors of the Great Hall with other people standing behind him.

"Who's that?" Regulus wondered.

"Yes." Albus Dumbledore answered the man. "How can we help you?"

A woman with pale blonde hair stepped forward.

"Yes. It seems that we were all invited to arrive here at this time."

The woman held up a letter and many people immediately noticed how it looked similiar to the ones that brought the parents from last night to the school.

"I guess those are the people that Ryan sent the letters out to last night." Regulus said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 4.6K 35
When the second wizarding world war has just finished in 1998 the people of the future travel back to the time of their parents to try and change the...
37.1K 726 44
What if there was more to the Prophecy of Harry Potter? Dumbledore has more than just memories to share with Harry this year. Love was the one thing...
1M 33K 71
she looks just like a dream, the prettiest girl i've ever seen. 𓆩❤︎𓆪┊Veritaserum, regulus black ...
386K 13K 87
~Where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry sets a Gryffindor apart~ What if there was another prophecy made? It talked about...