Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 12 - Ignite
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To
Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt
To You, What Hidden Behind Your Eyelids

Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive

314 6 5
By Kiriyarin_

Itsuki's POV:

''Purr...Purr...Meow...''

I'm not really used to sleeping in someone else's bed, or even at home for that matter. But, I must admit, the nights I've spent here have likely been the most restful and comfortable sleep I've experienced in my life.

I had already woken up just a little before the sweet sunlight seeping through the curtains hit my eyes, all thanks to this fluffy bundle of joy covering me. It's a miracle that it agreed to stay in the same room as me, hehe.

''Tera-chan, you really love beds, don't you?''

The only response I got was a gentle purr, licking her paw. ''Mmmrrr...Meow~''

After removing the sweet furry ball from on top of my chest, I sit up in bed. It doesn't really matter that it's a guest room where I'm staying; it feels genuinely cozy. Is it because of the person whose home I'm in, or did I really need a new perspective? But, I have no intention of returning home just yet.

''A new day, a new adventure.''

It has been more than two days since I left home. After the disrespect that Nino did, I don't intend to return without apologizing to me and them. 

According to the digital clock on the bedside table, I still have plenty of time before school; I've woken up way earlier than necessary. Huh...It's a bit strange because normally, both the girls and I are the type to wake up quite late.

''At least you understand me, Tera-chan. Or at least I hope you do. Mwah~'' I plented a kiss on the cat's nose and put her down to the ground. ''I'm not gonna stay in bed all day!''

I did a few stretches before hopping out of bed. I have no idea what they do, but I remember once Yotsuba told me that if I did this stretches every now and then, my day would be positive or something.

It feels really strange staying at my boyfriend's house. It's hard to decide whether he's good or not, but after all, he's a man, and men can be unpredictable.

''Iyah!--- What the hell are you thinking Nakano Itsuki!? He's not like that.'' I shaked my head to get rid of the not-so-suitable thoughts I have. ''Ah, right. I need to wake Asuka up.''

I quietly make my way to the door of the guest room and slowly open it, trying not to do much noise. Asuka isn't a heavy sleeper, but it's my duty to make sure he's up for school. I mean, that's what girlfriends do, right? Hehe~

I tiptoe down the hallway, feeling the soft carpet under my feet. The house is so different from my own, it's not luxurious like our penthouse, but it still attractive in an unique way.

''If I'm not mistaken—''

If I'm not mistaken Asuka was still at his computer last night when I went to bed. He mentioned that he had something to do with a few of his online friends. Online friends... what a strange term—Does this really count as friendship?

Eh, hell if I know anything about online relationships. I better leave that to others. 

I knocked on the door before entering his room.

*Knock Knock...*

But no answer came. ''Asuka?''

*Knock Knock...*

Yet, still silence. He must sleeping still. ''Yosh! I'm coming in, ready or not! If I'm not going to sleep all day, you're not going to sleep either. Nuh-uh mister!''

I grabbed the door handle, luckily it wasn't locked.

''Alright, wake up sleepyh— WHAT THE HELL?!''

''U-uh?...Itsuki? Is it morning already?''

''A-A-Asuka?! What's up with you? Wait... Don't tell me you didn't sleep tonight.''

His hair all disheveled, and his eyes heavy with exhaustion. ''I forgot that shit exist.''

''I can't believe you, God, don't tell me every day is like this.'' I crossed my arms. ''Have you been playing games all night? You can't keep doing this, Asuka. You need your sleep, especially with school and everything.''

Asuka scratched his head and yawned. ''I know, I know. But, you see, it's hard to resist when my friends needed my help. Besides, I thought I'd be okay with a couple of hours of sleep.''

''A couple of hours of sleep won't cut it.'' I scolded him gently. ''You'll be a zombie at school. And I didn't come all the way here just to see my boyfriend sleep through the day. He looks cute even during insomnia, omigosh mwehehe...''

Asuka's expression softened when he realized the extent of his exhaustion. ''Yeah yeah...Sorry, Itsuki. You're right. I should've been more responsible.''

''It's okay. Just promise me you'll take better care of yourself. I don't want you to wear yourself out.'' I sighed and moved closer to him, placing a hand on his cheek. ''Uesugi-kun's telling us that we need to study, and even though he told that to me, you also need to study. Finals are just days away.''

''Pfft, heh. You make it sound like I've failed a class before.'' He turned his chair to me with a smug smile and crossed his arms. ''I would like to remind you, dear cat-stealar woman, that I have never once fallen out of the top thirty of the school.''

''C-c-c-cat stealer?! For once! Tera-chan seems perfectly happy sleeping with me! As for the second! If you're going to keep showing off about your grades, I might as well stop making breakfast, hmpf.''

Asuka began sweatdropping and then he giggle. ''Please don't. I don't want to go back to cereal again, hehe.''

Asuka really can't cook. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's a supernatural condition. Whenever there's a situation where he really needs to cook with actual ingredients, such as during a field trip, it always ends in disaster.

So far as I know, the things he can do are mostly pre-packaged. Like cereal, instant ramen, and beverages.

''Mou...!'' I pout. ''How did you even survive that long without proper nutrition?!''

''I usually have my breakfast in the school cafeteria. Thus, the risk of meteor falling into the neighborhood falls to zero.'' Asuka finally turned his head to the closed curtains and to leaking sunlight. ''I think we need to go to school.''

''We still got plenty of time so I came to wake you up'' I roll my eyes. ''...Atleast that was the plan. I'll prepare the breakfast, do you have any special requests?''

''Are you sure? Anything suits me.''

''Aww, come on. Don't be like that. Didn't I tell you that day? As long as I'm here, I'll be cooking my own meals. But that doesn't mean I can't show some courtesy to my boyfriend who kindly welcomed me into his home.''

His cheeks blush into a light red. ''... I didn't have a chance to refuse you anyway.'' Then Asuka rubbed his eyes and stretched in his chair, trying to shake off the lingering fatigue. "Okay okay, geez. Just something light and quick, please. I'll make sure to get a good lunch at school."

"Alright, I'll whip up some scrambled eggs and toast. How about a coffee too?"

Asuka's face lit up at the mention of coffee. "Man, coffee sounds too great, Itsuki. You make it so much better than I ever could." He leaned back in his chair and gave a contented sigh.

"Gotcha, coffee it is. You get yourself ready for school, and I'll have breakfast ready for you in no time. Find me in the kitchen when you're done preparing." I chuckled as I made my way to the door.

I'm not that bad at cooking. At least I'm not Miku-level bad. Even though I can't do things that complex, I can at least handle simple things like eggs. Ahh, I should have eaten something before bed last night... I'm so hungry.

''Itsuki, before you go...''

''Yeah?'' His voice stopped me mid-way. ''...''

''Nothing, I just wanted to thank you. You really don't have to push yourself so hard.''

"It doesn't really matter, thanks for thinking of me." I went to him after turning away from the door. Then I cupped his cheeks and kissed him on the forehead. ''I need to change, then I'll make breakfast. You need to get ready too.''

.

.

.

Asuka's POV:

The two days she spent here really helped Itsuki. The scars of her fight with Nino have not been erased yet, I still feel like she's avoiding me when it comes to our conversations about it. But she's right; if I were in her shoes, I wouldn't want to talk about something like that.

Itsuki left the room after her kiss. This girl really knows how to catch me off guard. I can feel my cheeks burning now, or is it because of insomnia? Either way, I'm lucky to have her here. Where would she be now if I hadn't been there that day?

''Fuutarou, this plan of yours better work, or we're seriously going to have to inform Nakano-san.'' I sigh.

I get up from the chair I sat on all night and walk towards the mirror. I look really awful, my eyes are dark from lack of sleep. Hey, at least I didn't lose a single ranked match tonight. A new international record to beat! 46 matches 0 lose!

''Ow ow ow! Even mental celebrations hurt, I seriously need that coffee.''

After about fifteen minutes, I had all my morning routines sorted out. I put on my school clothes, brushed my teeth, grabbed my spare clothes for today's football practice.

I went downstairs to the kitchen to see what Itsuki's up to. For now there isn't any smell of burning in the corridor. This is a historic moment – the kitchen is being used in this house for the first time without a fire starting! 

I entered the kitchen. Itsuki was bustling around the kitchen, a determined look on her face infront of my stove.

''Good morning! This time I could say it properly!''

''Where did you even find that apron?'' I tilt my head. ''Are you sure you don't need help, Itsuki?''

''My work here is almost done. Okay, I may not be great in classes, but I'm not terrible at household chores either. Plus, I don't want to die so... Better if you just sit tight and wait.''

''Hai hai. Whatever you say, meatbun.'' Before taking my seat, I poured myself some coffee from the filter on the kitchen counter. 

I really need to pay attention to my sleep schedule, especially with finals so close. A single cup of coffee won't sustain me all day; I guess I'm relying on vending machines today.

A few minutes later, she placed a plate in front of me, and the aroma of the meal filled the air. The eggs, and the toast was looking good enough. It truly looks like a simple yet satisfying breakfast.

"Voilà! Scrambled eggs and toast, just like I promised." Itsuki said with a hint of pride. ''Praises are always welcome, hehe.''

''If I don't die after a bite, I'll make my comment accordingly.''

Itsuki's eyes widened in playful shock. "Oh no, you're not allowed to die on my cooking! That would be terrible."

Holy shit?!— I took a bite of the scrambled eggs, and to my surprise, they were completly mid. They were seasoned a bit too much, and the fluffiness wasn't on point. I'll be honest, they're not as good as Nino's dishes. Which, if I said this to my girlfriend's face, she'd probably sulk at me all day, so I'll keep that comment to myself. Instead, I'm going to enjoy the few days we have to stay together.

Itsuki watched with bated breath. Her eyes are a mixture of worry and anticipation. It's really hard to not notice her nervousness.

"Mmm... not bad." I said with a mischievous grin. "I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. You've got potential, Itsuki."

She let out a sigh of relief and playfully swatted my arm. "Don't scare me like that! I was worried you'd hate it."

"No way, I appreciate the effort, really. It's nice having a homemade breakfast for a change." I chuckled and took another bite.

"I'm glad you like it. I promise I'll improve, just give me some time."

''About that...'' My eyes drifted to the pan with the scrambled eggs. ''There's only two of us, why did you use eggs for six people?''

Itsuki's face turned slightly pink as she averted her gaze from mine. She fidgeted with her fingers.

"Well." She began with a sheepish smile. "I may have a tendency to eat a lot when I'm under stress, and I was pretty hungry this morning... You know, cooking can be stressful, and I wanted to make sure we had enough, ehehehehehe..."

We continued to eat our breakfast, chatting about our lesson plans for afterschool and schoolwork. Since Fuutarou has left Itsuki's lessons and tutoring duties to me, I'm teaching her the subjects alone for now. It's like a one-on-one private lesson.

''Then go and—''

*Ding Dong*

''Hm? Are you waiting for someone, Asuka?''

In the middle of our conversation, the doorbell rang. What timing...

''As far as I know, no. It might be the cargo company. They usually deliver to this neighborhood on Wednesdays.''

''All right, I'll open the door.''

Itsuki got up from her seat, leaving her half-finished meal on the table. She walked towards the front door, and I could hear the sound of her footsteps gradually fading away as she approached it.

''Weird...'' I mumble. ''Isn't it too early for delivery?''

I reached for my phone to check the time.

『 𝗧𝘂𝗲𝘀𝗱𝗮𝘆, 𝟬𝟳:𝟰𝟬 𝗮.𝗺 

Wait what? Did I mix up the days due to lack of sleep?

''But, don't cargo companies usually not work on Tuesdays? Especially during the winter season...''

As Itsuki walked towards the door, I felt a strange uneasiness inside me. Am I forgetting something super duper important?

''What did I forg———

——— DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR!''

NO NO NO! That day was today, how the fuck could I forget?

I dashed up from the table like I had never done before in my life. I leaped out of my chair to the air so fast I nearly broke the table. Or maybe I did, sure I heard few cracks.

My heart began to race as the urgency of the situation struck me like a ton of bricks. I rushed toward the hallway all while shouting at the top of my lungs.

"ITSUKI, WAIT! STAY AWAY FROM THAT DOOR!"

But it's already too late.

She had already opened the door.

There she standing, wordless and frozen still.

I thought today was going to be a good day, until strings of fate punched me in the face right fucking now. Because when I reached the front door, I saw that all my fears and concerns are real.

And directly looking at us.

''...''

.

.

.

Just a few more seconds, that's all I needed. If I had just a goddamn few more seconds, none of this would've happened.  The absolute silence hung heavy in the room as the door swung open.

Really? Did he have to choose today of all days to show up? Out of all seven days in a week, did it really have to be fucking today?

"My, my, that's quite an unexpected event." said the figure at the door, his eyes locked onto Itsuki.

''I wish you'd called before you came.'' I almost trip on the carpet. ''Ah, what a cliché moment...''

''Yes, now I wish I had called.''

I looked at Itsuki once after the effect of the situation had subsided and I somewhat calmed down. She stuck motionless, silently staring at the man who was at our door.

''A-Asuka...W-who...?'' Itsuki stuttered a few words. Not a full sentence, but I think everyone understands what she meant. ''I-...''

''How rude of me, I forgot to introduce myself.'' A gentle smile appeared on the face of the man. ''Akira Shoji. I'm Asuka's father.''

''———!''

I completely forgot that my father was going to visit me. There's been so much going on this week that it's completely gone out of my mind. It's going to be a little difficult to explain this situation, but fortunately my father is a smart guy— It could have been even much much worse if I had any another relative of mine here instead of him.

Ladies and gentlemen, Akira Shoji. The proud surgeon of Tokyo University Hospital, the seducer of the ladies, and, hard as it is to believe, my father.

Father had mentioned he would visit me during his day off this week to check on me. Unfortunately, he didn't specify the exact date so I had no way of knowing which day it was.

Destiny really hates me, doesn't it?... Definitely visit the fortune teller sometime.

''F-father?!'' Itsuki began panic. ''I-...My name...Uhh! Ahahah...I'm...''

My father finally looked at me and asked. "Is she okay?"

"She's probably just surprised, I think. Come in, there's still some coffee left.''

I can more or less understand Itsuki's situation. Her boyfriend's father suddenly appears at their door. A trauma worthy of nightmares. After inviting my dad inside, we all gathered in the kitchen.

Actually, I was expecting him to ask me some questions about all this, but he'd rather keep quiet. While I make his coffee, he simply grinned to me and Itsuki in silence. Then I put his coffee in front of him and sat across, and Itsuki sat right next to me.

I coughed a few times to clear my throat. ''Ehem ehem...First of all, this is entirely your fault since you came unannounced. I'd like to start by stating this.''

Father raised an eyebrow, clearly amused by the situation. "My, my, so defensive, Asuka. Is this how you treat your guests?"

''You bast— Ugh...Nevermind. Dad, this is Itsuki. My...girlfriend.''

Itsuki eventually manages to shake off her shock and find her voice back. She bows her head down in respect. ''I-Itsuki Nakano, s-sir...''

''My son has a girlfriend?'' He placed the coffee cup down in silence ''...''

''I've been Asuka's girlfriend for a while, s-sir. P-please don't misunderstand! Our goal wasn't to hide our relationship from you, it's just...''

''...'' No answer came from him.

''A lot has happened, dad. I was the one who suggested hiding our relationship from you and mother. There is a logical explanation for Itsuki staying here.'' I said.

''...''

Father didn't said anything. He kept staring blankly into his coffee cup. I wonder if he's angry with me for hiding our relationship? If he doesn't approve of our relationship... I don't know what to do. This is one of the possibilities that scared me the most.

''S-Shoji-san! Please allow me to speak before you decide.'' Itsuki must have realized where this silence leading. ''Asuka and I have been through a lot. Please listen to what we have to say before you make your decision!''

''...''

''Asuka and I love each oth—''

''𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝗴𝗼𝗱... 𝗜𝘁𝘀𝘂𝗸𝗶-𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗻, 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝗹𝘆 𝗮 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗺𝗲𝗲𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂. 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗺𝘆 𝘀𝗼𝗻.''

''A-aren't you angry, Shoji-san?''

''How come I should? My son seems really into you. I already figured out what was going on when I was at the entrance. Just wanted to sure in any case.''

I crossed my arms. ''Heck! If you understand, you should also know why I didn't want to tell you about this in the first place, father.''

''I do.'' he said, without needing to express it explicitly. You really can't underestimate a genius surgeon. He opens his one eye and takes a sip of his coffee. ''She'll learn eventually.''

''Will you tell her?''

''My sole purpose for coming here was to check on my son, and I'm happy to report that he's doing well...I believe a few additional details can be skipped.''

''U-uh... Asuka, Shoji-san? What are you talking about?''

Father took a deep breath after looking at the wedding ring on his right hand. ''I think I've understood why my son wanted to keep this a secret, Itsuki-chan. My wife is a bit... full of life and the type to live life at edges.''

''What he's trying to say is simply— Dangerous and unpredictable.'' I roll my eyes. ''There's no polite way to describe her. I told you at the cultural festival, right? My mom has wanted a daughter her whole life, so if she learns about you, she probably won't let you go off the hook. Heh, I wouldn't think of her otherwise anyway.''

Itsuki looked back and forth between me and my father, her face filled with confusion and concern. She's clearly trying to piece together the information and implications of what we the heck are we talking about.

The truth is, if I tell Itsuki exactly about my mother, she probably won't believe me, so for now it's just enough if she knows that she's an one in a billion person.

"Uhm, excuse me, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean." Itsuki said hesitantly.

My father leaned forward, a small smirk forming on his lips. "Well, Itsuki-chan, it seems my son has been trying to protect you from my wife's... let's say, unique personality. You see, she's quite fond of the idea of having a daughter-in-law, and if she knew about your relationship with Asuka, she'd be over the moon and possibly set in motion all kinds of events."

''I mean, you're going to meet my mom eventually, but I didn't want to stress you out before all of this chaos was over.''

''There's no chaos in this! I'll definitely not accept what Nino did to you two. I was against all this work at first too... but she needs to grow up a little from now on. Acting childish won't get her anywhere.''

''I think it's little more than some random test papers...'' 

''But still—!'' Itsuki clenched her fists. ''I won't back down from this, Asuka. Not before her!''

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The stubbornness of this girl is revolutionary. I hope everything is going well in the Nino department, because I'm powerless to help here. We need to explain everything that happened to my father. Leaving more question marks may cause problems in the future.

I sigh. ''How long do you plan to stay, dad?''

''I planned to stay the night, but since Itsuki-chan is staying here, I'd better not.'' Then he winked both of us with the most charming way possible. ''𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘐𝘵𝘴𝘶𝘬𝘪-𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶.''

Motherf—!? Ugh...He's making fun of me.

It's really hard to admit, but my father shared the same fate with me in his youth. Until he met my mother, he constantly declared in love by girls. In fact, according to what my mother told me, my father's situation was worse than me during their highschool times.

My mother once dove into a crowd of wild girls to save my father with a baseball bat in her hand during their own school festival. Quite an epic story, isn't it? 

My dad must be in his forties by now. And I'm sure someone in their forties shouldn't look like this. Heck no.

I smirk. ''Heh, shame on you, old geezer. Itsuki and I are a couple for months! There's no way in possible hell that she'll fall for your wo—''

''Shoji-san...!!''

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! DID THIS GUY JUST RIZZED MY GIRLFRIEND UP?!

He chuckled in a way that achieved what he wanted to do, then become serious again. ''Jokes aside, Asuka. I sense there's something you want to tell me, right?'' 

''You'll be here today, won't you? As much as I want to tell you now, we're going to be late for school. I'll explain everything after school.''

''O-oh, right r-right! Asuka! We'll be late for school! We need to go now.'' Itsuki stands up and then bowed infront of my dad once again. ''Shoji-san, it was an honor to meet you.''

Tch, that's exactly why I didn't want her to meet my family. Neither of them are very normal. Of course I love them, a lot, but... Well, anyway, this isn't the time to think about that. We have to run fast as much as we can.

Itsuki and I rushed out the door just as we grabbed our backpacks. Definitely the worst fucking way to start a day.

.

.

.

[ School, After Hours ]

Third Person POV:

It was a particularly quiet Tuesday at Asahiyama High. The entire day flew by in the blink of an eye for all of the students. As finals approached, time seemed to start to pass faster for the students and even for the teachers.

After Itsuki and Nino parted ways, the penthouse became quite silent for those who remained there. This is not the kind of silence Miku desired; she wanted to return to the old days as soon as possible. Back to the simple days when they fought over simple things like clothes and makeup.

Miku turned around for the last time before leaving the school gate and looked at the huge building. ''How frustrating...'' 

''Are you daydreaming again, Miku? I told you it wouldn't get anywhere like this.''

Miku was lost in her thoughts when she heard a familiar voice calling out to her just outside the school's main door. A little while later, the source of the voice waved at her and greeted her like he used to do.

''Fuutarou? Aren't you supposed to be heading home?"

''I wish. I went to Nino's classroom today to find out if she showed up or not."

"And then?..." Miku asked, although she already knew the answer; she needed to hear it. ''...''

''Nino hasn't spoken to anyone in her class in two days, including the two girls she always hangs out with. I... We don't have any concrete progress.''

''Fuutarou, I've made up my mind. I want to do something. I'm going to bring those two back.''

''Don't be a fool! You saw what happened the last time we tried to talk to Nino. I doubt they'll even take us to the hotel anymore.'' Fuutarou looked at the darkening sky. ''I thought about that last night, but I believe we should leave it to Madoka. That's why I asked Kazuma to tutor you for a day.''

''Actually, he was the one who told me to take action.''

''He did?...''

''Not exactly.'' Miku avoided making eye contact . ''He told me I'm a useless idiot and that crying like an baby wouldn't help anyone. That boy's really scary.''

''He wasn't always like this.''

''I heard you three known each other for a long time. Fuutarou, what do you mean?''

''Asuka and I met in elementary school, and we met Kazuma at the start of middle school. He was always a bit sour, but at least he used to... smile."

''Used to? Did something happen?...''

For the first time since they met, Miku saw Fuutarou become this serious. His fists finally clenched until the end and his breathing became completely erratic. ''For your own sake, let this go. Believe me, some things should remain in the past.''

''Fuutarou...''

''𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻'𝘁 𝘁𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂. 𝗜 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗮 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲.''

''...'' Miku chose not to push the issue any further, she still has a bigger problem to tackle. "I've got a plan. Will you help me?''

"I don't have much of a choice, do I? Even if I don't help, you'll probably try to do something on your own, won't you?"

''...''

''What do you need?''

''We have to go to Asuka's house. You two are in the same class, right? Have you seen him today?''

''Just the first two hours. The inter-school football tournament has started, so he's not in class on some days. When I asked him about the situation in the morning class— He said that everything is perfectly fine. I guess there's nothing to worry about on Itsuki's side.''

Miku sigh in relief. ''That's a good sign. Can you take me back to his home? I also need his help.''

"Should we give Ichika and Yotsuba a heads-up?"

''Nah.'' She shook her head. ''Both of them are really busy. They won't have time to help us.''

"Alright, we'll keep it on the down-low for now. I'll get you to Asuka's house, but promise me, Miku, that you'll be cautious and not do anything reckless."

"I promise, Fuutarou. I've learned my lesson from last time. We'll figure this out...together. Ah, wait..." Miku raised her fist slightly into the air and then pointed her raised arm at Fuutarou. ''Heh, come on! I've seen people do this. Don't leave my hand in the air!''

Although he didn't understand anything in the first few seconds, Fuutarou eventually understood what Miku was trying to do, and when he did, his serious expression softened into a slight smile. ''Heh, can't be helped.''

A fist-bump before hitting the road.

.

.

.

They left school together and headed for Asuka's house. Miku decided to look around more carefully this time to memorize the route in case she needed to return here in the future. She couldn't focus on the road the last time because of Nino's hotel accident, but she's decided what to do this time.

Fuutarou and Miku walked side by side, the faint chill of the late afternoon sending a shiver down their spines. Miku had to admit, there was something oddly comforting about sharing this mission with Fuutarou. It was as if the weight of the world, or at least the weight of her sisters' turmoil, had been temporarily lifted, or atleast shared, from her shoulders.

That conversation last night left a permanent mark on her heart. Right now, she was the only one among her sisters who could fix this situation.

''We're here.'' Fuutarou stopped infront of destination, his best friend's home.

''Huh, I couldn't examine it this much last time, but... it's a very nice house.''

''You have no idea how hard we tried to find this place. Trust me, You don't want to think about the chaos happened when Asuka said he wanted to live separately from his family."

''Is it a...bad reason?''

''Not really. Asuka's family are wonderful people. It's just that living under the same roof with them can be somewhat suffocating for someone like Asuka.''

After Fuutarou and Miku stepped through the garden gate, they rang the house bell.

*Ding Dong*

But no one answered.

''Maybe they didn't hear.'' Miku said and reached the bell again. ''...''

*Ding Dong*

''Could they not be at ho—?''

*Creak...*

Miku's sentence abruptly cut off when the front door opened. The person they saw before them was neither Asuka nor Itsuki. She didn't understand what was happening and quickly took a few steps back, shielding herself behind Fuutarou.

The person who opened the door looked at Fuutarou with a smile. ''Fuutarou?''

''———!? Uncle Akira?''

Both hugged each other, as a greeting.

''Did I surprise you by any chance? My my~'' 

Fuutarou nodded, still a bit stunned. ''Of course! I didn't expect to see you here, Uncle Akira. How have you been?" 

"You know what they say, life in hospitals is never quiet. I heard you're a tutor now." Akira replied, his gaze shifting to Miku, who had been standing in the background, unnoticed.

''I-I...U-um... Are you Asuka's older brother?''

''Older brother?... Ah, people often think this way. My name is Akira, I'm Asuka's father.''

Miku's eyes widened. It couldn't be true, was such a thing possible? Asuka Shoji considered as the most attractive boy in Asahiyama by all the female students. Tall, handsome and has perfect facial features. And even his grades are fairly above average.

In short, a treasure that every girl would want to reach.

And his father has literally multiplied by 100 the things that are being said right now. Just looking at him made Miku's heart flutter all the way.

''M-Miku...'' Miku mumbles her name.

Doctor Akira gently placed his hand under Miku's chin, raising her head slightly for eye contact. ''Ara, you're a cute one.''

''
♡♡♡♡♡♡...''

Fuutarou facepalmed. ''Uncle Akira, you seriously need to stop doing this.''

''Just makin' sure. Miku-chan's face rings a bell from somewhere. She must be Itsuki-chan's sister, right?''

''So you found out. Man, Even though I told him he couldn't keep it under cover forever. Is Auntie Mona here?"

''Unfortunately, it's just me today. You're here for Asuka, aren't you? He's just arrived. Please, come on in.'' Akira stepped a bit from the doorway. ''Miku-chan, pleasure to meet you.''

''I---... Hai!...Woah, no wonder where Asuka got his genes from. ''

When Miku and Fuutarou entered inside, they found Asuka in the living room, gathering his belongings from his sports bag. He has a exhausted expression on his face, and the six drunk instant-coffee packets on the side of his bag are proof of his condition.

''A-a-ah! I didn't hear you coming, sorry guys!'' Asuka tossed her bag onto the couch and scratched his neck. ''...Yo Fuutarou, Miku.''

''Oi! Are you sure you're alright? You look awful. Stayed up all night again?''

''Busted, hehe. I didn't think you'd swing by today, though. What's the deal?"

Miku took a deep breath, scanning in the room. ''Where's Itsuki?''

''I suppose she hit up 7-Eleven to buy some fish crackers and smoothie on the way.''

"Great, it's better that she's not here. Asuka, please listen. I want to fix things between Itsuki and Nino. And I need your help.''

''Ehh...?'' He tilted his head. ''I thought we left that to Madoka.''

''I know, but I can't stand not doing something anymore. All we have to do is bring them both together in the same place. I can't trust anyone but you for Itsuki. I know it sounds a little sloppy, but if you'd just hear me out for a sec—''

The answer didn't delayed even for a second. ''—Got it, I'm in.''

''H-huh? / That quick?! I didn't explain yet!''

''Oh come on, we had to do something sooner or later. If Miku has the courage to take the first step, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't support her?''

"Thank you, Asuka. I knew I could count on you." Miku smiled in relief. His assistance will certainly make things easier.

Asuka ruffled Miku's hair playfully. "Don't mention it, Miku. We're in this together, but I assume you already have plan in your mind.''

Miku's plan hasn't been fully completed yet. She still has one night to contemplate the details of the plan. Tomorrow, she'll need to skip at least three classes to go to Crystal Hills. However, the only way to catch Nino is to go there at the most certain time, which is in the morning.

"I'm planning to talk to Nino again tomorrow at Crystal Hills. I'll text you the meeting place later. Can you bring Itsuki there?''

''Lead the way. I'll follow you.''

- - -

Author Note:

The return must be with grace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116 9 4
Set nearly seven years after graduating from Asahiyama High School, Twenty-Five-Year-Old Futaro Uesugi finds himself on his third year teaching Engli...
27.5K 928 32
(Y/N) just moved to Japan. The plan is to stay there for a year, away from his home, so he's not too enthusiastic about it. But he meets a certain fe...
81K 4.1K 28
i want to talk to you until there's nothing left to say. and then i want to show you the way i love you like everything but a friend. <꒱ ‧₊˚ ⋅ stol...
24.7K 772 15
Y/N L/N, is a teenager who lives alone and who has an addiction for alcohol... What will happen when he has to tutor five dumb girls with his best fr...