Garten of Banban: Hell Awaiti...

נכתב על ידי lettucekale

The fun is just beginning. When a single mother named Lorelei finds that her two children have gone missing w... עוד

Chapter Two: "Welcome to the Garten"
Chapter Three: "Arachnophobia"
Chapter Four: "Class In Session"
Chapter Five: "Answers I Await"
Chapter Six: "Realistic Reverie"
Chapter Seven: "My New Best Friend"
Chapter Eight: "Double-Crossed"
Chapter Nine: "A Royal Welcoming"
Chapter Ten: "Jesting Around"
Chapter Eleven: "An Old Friend"
Chapter Twelve: "My One True Purpose"
Chapter Thirteen: "Safety Retreat"
Chapter Fourteen: "A Joke And A Jangle"
Chapter Fifteen: "Slimy, Scary, and Strange"
Chapter Sixteen: "Estranged For A Scepter"
Chapter Seventeen: "Seeking The Surgeon"
Chapter Eighteen: "City Sights And Friendly Fights"

Chapter One: "First Day's Always Tough"

2.3K 22 58
נכתב על ידי lettucekale

"Mama, mama! We want another bedtime story!" I hear two little voices shout at me in unison from my bedroom door. I sit up in bed to see the twins, Jaiden and Jack, standing there, both of them smiling wide as always. Rubbing the weariness out of my eyes, I answer them. "Didn't I just get done reading one for you? You guys are supposed to be asleep by now."

"But we want more!" Jack whines, while his sister just nods fervently. "The last one was boooring! Please, please, please, tell us another one!" They beg, their eyes wide with anticipation. Oh, kids and their endless need to get their way. They're almost six years old and still they've yet to learn the art of asking nicely.

These two are my twin children—and they look absolutely identical. They inherited their father's black hair, personality, and even features. As for me, they didn't inherit much, not even my natural brown hair (which I ended up dying green). The only thing they got from me are my freakishly yellow eyes that... practically glow in the dark. Even though my kids may not resemble me all that much, they still mean everything to me.

I laugh softly at my kids' antics, getting up from the bed with a sigh. "Sorry, babies, no more stories tonight. Mama needs her rest too." I ruffle their matching black hair with an affectionate smile. Both Jaiden and Jack pout at that. "Aww... Well, can't you at least put us back to bed? Pleeease?" They implore, clasping their hands together.

With another soft laugh, I nod. "Fine, fine... But only because I love you so much." I say, giving them each a kiss on the cheek before picking them up with ease and heading toward their bedroom. They squeal happily in my arms, hugging me tight and clinging to my neck. These kids will be the death of me someday, but for now, they're all I have.

Once we're there, I gently set them down in their shared bed, letting out an exaggerated breath. They both giggle and then crawl under the covers, snuggling close together as I sit down on the edge of the mattress. "Alright, kiddos. Sleep well, alright? You've got school tomorrow and I can't afford to have you guys miss anything." I warn lightly.

Their expressions seem to droop a little at the mention of school. Hm, they don't usually look this bummed out about school... I thought they loved the kindergarten I enrolled them into this year. Maybe they're having trouble adjusting to the idea of seeing new faces? Or maybe it's the school itself? Either way, it won't do either of them any good to stay up all night worrying over it.

"Hey, don't worry, okay?" I assure them, brushing their hair away from their faces. "It might be a little scary at first because it's a new school... but trust me, you'll be fine. You're brave kids, I know you can do this." I smile down at them as they gaze up at me with big eyes. "Besides, you never know what might happen tomorrow. You might make some friends! After all, I heard it's Bring-a-Friend day tomorrow! Maybe you'll meet some cool people!"

Their eyes light up at the idea, their smiles growing wider. It makes me chuckle inwardly. The two of them truly do share their father's bright personality-a trait that I adore more than anything. "Now cheer up, alright?" I grab the stuffed snake in Jaiden's arms. "Or else the hungry snake will bite your toes off!" I giggle as I tickle them both with the toy, earning a few delighted shrieks.

"Nooo!" Jaiden giggles as she swats playfully at my hands. "No snakes, no snakes!" Jack follows suit with a similar response. Soon enough, we're in a full blown laughter fit. I grin widely, loving the pure joy it brings me. I never get tired of these moments when we laugh and goof around like this. I'd be lying if I said I didn't secretly wish we could stay like this forever.

"Okay, okay, kids. Calm down now..." I manage through my fits of laughter. Once we catch our breaths, I reach out to tousle their hair fondly. "Don't worry your little heads about school, alright? You'll be okay. Now go to sleep. Goodnight." I lean over to give each one of them a quick peck on their forehead. Afterward, I head back to my own bedroom and fall onto my bed, exhausted.

You know, my kids have been nothing short of amazing in my life, but sometimes... I just wish someone else was blessed with having them instead. I was never ready to become a mother, and I don't think I know how to be one. Hell, I don't even know what their favorite colors are, let alone what their handwriting looks like.

But hey, that's a story for another time. Right now, I'm just hoping that school isn't too hard on them tomorrow. Hopefully after a few weeks they'll adjust well to being surrounded by new faces. Who knows? Perhaps this is what the twins had been hoping for. Their new school will definitely be interesting; I doubt anything bad could ever happen in that place.

Besides, what could be so bad about a simple kindergarten? Even if something did happen... I mean, what would it have to do with us?

— — — —

The next day, the twins wake up bright and early for school. They have their matching cat and dog shirts on, which I picked out myself, with Jaiden wearing a hoodie over it and Jack just rocking it plain. Aww, aren't they just the cutest?! I'm almost honored to have kids this adorable. They're growing up so fast...

Jaiden is tearing through her breakfast, while Jack just watches something on his tablet and waits patiently. Somehow, I can't help but feel like I'm more excited for them than they are about going to a new school. That whole Bring-a-Friend day thing sounds pretty cool, too, even if I can't attend. Ever since our move to Canada a few weeks ago, I've been so excited for Jaiden and Jack to meet other kids their age here in Montreal...

"You kiddos ready for today?" I ask, finishing my cereal bowl and setting it aside. Jaiden grins at me, her mouth full of food, nodding vigorously. Jack just nods nonchalantly, but he doesn't say anything, preferring to keep quiet and focus instead on whatever he's doing on his tablet. "I asked you a question, little rascal." I tease lightly, giving him an amused smirk.

"Eh? Uhm... Yeah, I'm ready." Jack finally speaks up with a shrug, finally looking up from his tablet. That's better.

Chuckling lightly, I stand up and begin gathering up Jaiden and Jack's things for their day at school. "Good, then let's go already. You don't wanna be late, do ya?" I tease jokingly, grinning down at my little family. They laugh softly at that. Grabbing their backpacks, we're quick to head out the door and to the car parked outside.

On the way there, I can't help but notice Jack seems a bit tense. He's staring out the window intently, watching everything pass by without even really taking in any of it. "Every alright, buddy? You look kinda distracted." I say with a soft frown. "I know, school's been pretty rough on you these past years, but it'll get better, don't you think?" I reassure.

He shakes his head, mumbling something incoherently under his breath. Then again, I could have sworn I heard him mumble something along the lines of 'I won't make any friends'. This is just typical Jack, always seeing the worst of situations. I can't blame him—the kids at his last school were awful. He has every right to be wary of others.

"Don't worry, Jackie. I'm sure you'll make tons of friends at this new school. You'll have lots and lots of fun there, I promise." I reply soothingly as I glance briefly at my son before returning my attention to the road. Jack gives me a small nod, but still doesn't say anything else. He does seem to relax somewhat though, so I count that as a win.

Jaiden suddenly pops her head between the seats, her yellow eyes wide with excitement. "I heard there's gonna be cool mascots at the school, too! I can't wait! I'm gonna be friends with all of them!" She exclaims loudly. Jack's eyes light up a little, but he stays silent. Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about the whole 'mascots' thing...

Hm, why does a kindergarten even need mascots anyway? Surely they're just trying to attract attention, right? It doesn't really make sense, but whatever works for them, I suppose.

Before I even know it, we're already in front of the school building. Tons of children are rushing towards the entrance, laughing and shouting excitedly, waving goodbye to their parents. I can tell that Jaiden and Jack are a little overwhelmed by all the commotion around them, but still eager to try their best.

We exit the car once it's parked, heading to the sidewalk to say our goodbyes. I kneel down beside them, holding each one of their tiny hands in mine. "Remember, don't get lost or wander around too far. I can't afford to lose track of you both. So stay with your class, okay?" I tell them gently, smiling fondly down at them.

The two of them look pretty sad at the fact that I'm not coming along, so I quickly pull them in for a hug. "Behave yourselves during your lessons, understand?" I instruct sternly. "And hey, after I pick you guys up, how about we go out for some ice cream? Sound good?" I offer before letting go of them, patting their heads.

Their gloomy faces instantly light up with excitement, as if a switch has been flipped. "Yayyy!" They squeal in unison. "We'll be good, mama! We promise!" Jaiden beams. I smile fondly at them before standing up, dusting off my dress. "Good. Now run along, kiddos. Make lots of friends and try your best in class!" I call, waving goodbye.

They nod excitedly and turn to sprint towards the school. I sigh, finally feeling a little weight lift off of my shoulders. I'm glad they're adjusting well to everything. It seems like a whole lot of work at times, having to keep them occupied. But now that they're in school, I can finally make time for myself without worrying about the twins constantly.

They're in good hands now. That thought alone is more than enough to put a spring in my step. Anyway, I should probably get to Ana's house now. After all, I'd promised her I'd pop by for a short visit today, so I should probably get going before it gets any later. Kid-free, stress-free, pure relaxation... Man, what a life.

— — — —

A couple hours later, and I'm not even sure what time it is. I was at Ana's place one moment, next thing I know she's driving me home from a night out at a bar. How did I get here again...? God, my head hurts. It feels like someone just pounded it with a sledgehammer. The only thing keeping me awake is the soft music playing in the background.

"Damn, Lorelei. Looks like you really needed that tonight, huh?" Ana chuckles slightly. I give her an annoyed huff, pulling my cardigan tighter around my body. "Well, no thanks to you." I mutter sarcastically. Ana laughs loudly and continues driving, completely unaffected by my words. Ugh, how much longer until we reach my house?

"Oh, Lori, lighten up! Ever since you had the twins at sixteen, you've basically turned into a complete zombie. Live a little, girlie! Have fun while you're still so young!" Ana cheers me on, though I fail to see how it's any fun chugging beer after beer when I've got kids to feed. Speaking of the kids, I wonder what they're up to...

"I know, Ana, it's just that... the twins are my first priority." I confess quietly, rubbing the bridge of my nose. "If I let anything happen to them because I decided to be stupid, I wouldn't forgive myself. Besides, I promised them I'd take them out for ice cream after school today, and I want to make sure they enjoy themselves, you know?"

I pause for a bit, glancing at the street ahead of us. Through my bleary vision, I can just barely make out the environment. It's really dark outside... Is it nighttime? Is it the early morning? My mind is still a little fuzzy from alcohol and exhaustion. Fuck, I hate drinking... It makes me too tired to think straight.

"Hey, Ana...? What time is it...?" I ask with a yawn, looking back to face her with half-open eyes. Ana glances at the time on the car's dashboard, frowning a little. "A little past midnight..." She replies softly. "Man, I almost feel bad for you. That hangover tomorrow morning is gonna suuuck!" She teases, trying to cheer me up.

I snort lightly, shaking my head. "Yeah, yeah... Laugh it up, woman." I retort dryly, closing my eyes briefly. But that's when a sudden realization hits me, causing my eyes to snap open immediately.

Hold the goddamn phone... Midnight?!

"The twins! They're still at school!" I practically jump out of my seat, startling Ana slightly in shock. "Fuck, fuck, fuck...!" I mutter under my breath, scrambling through my bag for my phone. Luckily, I managed to memorize the school's number, which I quickly enter into my phone, praying somebody answers my call before I literally shit myself.

"Lorelei, are you oka—" Ana starts, but I shush her as soon as she opens her mouth. Shut it, bimbo, let me worry!

I wait anxiously for about five agonizing minutes, but nobody picks up. I check the time repeatedly, growing more and more nervous. What if something happened to them? What if they're hurt or dead or— I don't even know anymore! Ugh, so much for being a stress-free mother...! Why did I need to go out drinking anyway? I could've just stayed home!

I drop my phone onto my lap as I groan in frustration, burying my head in my hands. Ana's attention doesn't waver much from the road, yet I can tell she's worried, especially seeing as her hands are gripping tightly onto the steering wheel. "Are you alright, Lorelei? Are they okay? Did something happen...?" She asks hesitantly.

"I don't know, okay? I don't know..." I grumble exasperatedly. My headache is starting to get even worse with every passing minute. "Just drive faster, please...!" I beg, grabbing onto the safety handle as hard as I can. I feel so sick, and I don't even think it's because of the alcohol anymore. This is just all too much for me right now.

We arrive at my house in less than a minute, and I rush out of the car before Ana can even stop it, hurriedly rushing inside. I stumble to the living room, flopping down onto the couch as my eyes fill with tears. Shit, shit, shit... Why did this have to happen? What the fuck am I supposed to do? My poor babies...

"Lorelei!" A familiar voice suddenly exclaims from the front door, followed by footsteps hurrying towards me. "Ana..." I breathe out, blinking rapidly to keep the tears from falling. She comes to a quick stop, frowning deeply as she takes in my appearance. "God, I'm so sorry, I... I had no idea..." Her voice begins trailing off, and she slowly sits herself down besides me.

I tear away from her gaze, sniffling and wiping the tears away as discreetly as possible. "I don't know what to do... Ana, I—" I cut myself off, letting out another sob. Ana reaches over and hugs me close to her chest, stroking my hair gently. "Shh... Hey, it's alright, it's alright..." She coos soothingly. I cry into her chest, clutching onto her shirt.

"I'm such an idiot! I get one day to relax and I've already fucked up! What kind of mom just... leaves their kids hanging like that?! What kind of parent does that?! Oh my god... I'm such a horrible, horrible mother! Oh god, oh god, oh god, what am I going to do? What am I going to tell—" I start ranting uncontrollably, unable to hold it back anymore.

"Lori, get a hold of yourself!" Ana scolds sternly, placing both hands on my shoulders and pushing me away from her. My eyes widen slightly in surprise. I realize how much of a fool I must look, bawling like some child. No wonder Ana seems to be getting so pissed off with me at this point... "S—Sorry..." I mumble quietly.

Ana sighs heavily, rubbing her temple slightly. "No, no, don't apologize, honey..." She murmurs. "I understand that you're stressed. Hell, I'd be pretty pissed if something happened to my kids... which I don't have, but still." She chuckles humorlessly, before taking a deep breath. "You're not going to be able to solve your problems by crying yourself silly."

I sigh. Maybe for once in her life, Ana's right. I'm not going to get anywhere by wallowing in self-pity and regret. Right now, I need to think of a solution, but... What could I possibly do that would help? Calling the school already hasn't gotten me any results, and I doubt talking to the police would work either. I need something better...

And then it hits me.

"Well, I've gotta head back home now. You'll be fine on your own, right?" Ana inquires, glancing over at me questioningly. I hesitate a little, but nod nonetheless. Yep, I'll be just dandy... "Alright then. Take care of yourself, okay? And try not to drink too much more tonight." She warns me. "Sleep it off, yeah?"

"Sure, Ana..." I reply with a weak smile. She pats my shoulder reassuringly before getting up and heading towards the front door. She pauses for a moment and turns around to look at me. "And don't try doing anything stupid, you hear? I don't want you getting in trouble either..." She adds sternly. With that, she's gone before I can even respond.

Don't try anything stupid, huh? Well, I'd like to see you try and stop me...

I get up from the couch, heading over one of the windows to look out across the street. I watch as Ana's car pulls away from the curb just a couple seconds later, driving off. Okay, time to do something about this mess. Grabbing my keys, I open the front door and hurry outside, shutting it firmly behind me.

The cold night air blows against me as I walk briskly toward my car, ready to go straight to that stupid kindergarten and make sure my babies are safe and sound. And for any other parents who happen to be just as unfortunate as I am, I'll find their children as well. Because I refuse to let anybody else suffer the same way I am right now.

Don't worry, Jaiden, Jack... Mama's on her way to getcha.

— — — —

To be continued in Chapter Two: "Welcome to the Garten"

— — — —

agh sorry it's kinda bad BUT these are the designs of the everett family, just so readers have a good idea on what to imagine while reading the rest of the story! :D

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

6.8K 332 40
They've protected the remains of the human race from fear and darkness. They've helped restore art, color, and life to a dull, synthetic world. They'...
104K 2.4K 34
Ranking #10 in DeanWinchester 10/3/2021 Ranking #1 in SPNFanFiction 1/25/2021 [COMPLETED VERSION-UNDER EDITING] (This fanfiction is based off season...
74.8K 4.2K 96
Autumn Wraith took a step a 20-year-old shouldn't take. She was naïve for her own ruin. One wrong move, or should we say one wrong article? She write...
535 43 7
In a world inhabited by humans and "Voids," a name given to those who've subconsciously sold their soul to the devil, a unique teenage Void embarks o...