𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 & 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄. ˡ...

By cxstlebyxrs

━━━⠀❛ 𝑻𝑾𝑶 𝑭𝑼𝑮𝑰𝑻𝑰𝑽𝑬𝑺 𝑶𝑵 𝑨 𝑳𝑰𝑭𝑬𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬 𝑨𝑫𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝑼𝑹𝑬. ❜ 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄�... More

𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 & 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄 !
𝘔𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘈𝘗𝘌
𝘚𝘠𝘕𝘖𝘗𝘚𝘐𝘚
⤷ 𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝐈. ˡⁱᵛⁱⁿᵍ ʷⁱˡᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᶠʳᵉᵉ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
⤷ 𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝐈𝐈. ᵍʳᵉᵃᵗ ᵐⁱʳᵃᶜˡᵉ ᵒᶠ ˢᵉᶜᵒⁿᵈ ᶜʰᵃⁿᶜᵉˢ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝘗𝘖𝘚𝘛 𝘚𝘊𝘙𝘐𝘗𝘛𝘜𝘔

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈

247 11 1
By cxstlebyxrs

CHAPTER TWO

❝ SUN AND MOON ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐃𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐒, 𝐓𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐒

𝐉𝐀𝐍𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐘 𝟑𝟎ᵗʰ 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

            YES, IT SEEMS LUCAS has really chosen to succumb to temptation and stay in the area. He chose to spend the nights in the neighboring towns, sometimes in motels and sometimes in his old house, just so he could see Max more often. Some days he would drive several miles just to be with her. All without leaving Texas. And he ended up staying with the Harley Max loved so much (and she thought it was his).

Max made him feel like a high school teenager again. Maybe it was immature of him, or maybe it was the sheer imminence of danger that made him continue to visit her in secret. However, he never did anything compromising; after all, Max was married.

His mind took up a new hobby - thinking about her. So much so that it was sickening at times. But it helped him keep his negative thoughts away, and for a moment he forgot the mess he was in.

For three months, these two had talked on the phone and exchanged letters. He sent her flowers of all colors and varieties, always asking if they were her favorites. Apparently, it was Lucas's job to guess which flowers were her favorites. Although Max had to hide the flowers so her husband wouldn't get suspicious. Lucas' idea of saying she bought the flowers for herself didn't sit well with her husband's paranoid control freak.

What Lucas didn't know was that a friend always meant something more to Roy because his own friends were always something more. It was hypocritical and annoying that he didn't care about Max but wanted to dominate her life.

But oh boy, she holds him like a magnet. To the point where it became annoying and she huffed and puffed when he called her when her husband was home. His fault, of course. It also happened when he showed up at Dust & Dynamite's during her shift, pretending to be a customer who was very pleased with the service he had received and demanding to be seen by the red-haired goddess. Apparently, she accused him of being a stalker. Pfft. He probably was. 

Some envious co-workers began to suspect something else was going on, and knowing that Max was married, they started to mess with her. Again, Lucas' fault. So he was forced to see her less often and in different places.

So, Lucas invited Max to a candlelight dinner at a chic, upscale restaurant in downtown Dallas. At the moment, he was riding his Harley to her house, wearing a beige suit and a light blue shirt that was faded at the neck, revealing the thin silver chain he usually wore. Extremely elegant, but certainly not an appropriate outfit for riding a motorcycle.

However, these weeks of Max were not so different from those of Lucas. Her mind had posters of him on the walls of her brain - she thought about him all the time, too. It acted like a repellent to the bad memories that were stubbornly buried in the back of her mind.

Whenever she was with him, her heart beat as fast as if she was running a marathon. Whenever she heard his voice on the other end of the line, the muscles in her face tightened into a smile. He made her feel like the teenager she hadn't stopped being. He awakened her joyful youth that had been inactive for so long. She had found someone who motivated her to get up in the morning.

And right now she was fixing her earrings in front of her bedroom mirror. She sprayed a little of her sweet Dior perfume on her wrists and behind her ears. Straightened her wavy hair once more. She had no idea if she looked presentable, but she knew Lucas would compliment her whether she was wearing makeup and a dress, or sweaty and stuffed into an old-fashioned uniform. That thought made her smile in front of the mirror, feeling nervous and anxious.

She heard the doorbell ring. Grabbed her bag and hurried downstairs. She looked out the window and saw that it was Lucas. But stopped in front of the door. She let it ring again. She couldn't look desperate and extremely excited to see him. After all, she had a reputation to uphold. Finally, Max opened the door and gave him her best smile.

It was a pleasant evening, but not enough to make Sinclair sweat. Nonetheless, it was happening. Sinclair observed as Max held up the emerald green knee-length dress that accentuated her waist, with sleeves falling below her bare shoulders. With each step, she placed a black high heel on the ground, buckled around her ankle.

As he neared Max, he noticed her long, mascara-darkened lashes and dark red lipstick. And also the beautiful pearl earrings she wore glistened on her ears. It's such a shame she'll have to take them off later.

Without saying a word, Lucas took her hand and kissed the back. Max threw her head back and chuckled, finding the gesture both formal and exaggerated, yet also warm.

"Shall we?" Sinclair asked, bowing as he presented the Harley, inviting Max to go ahead. They giggled with amusement and eagerness as they donned their helmets and took their seats on the motorcycle.

The sound of the engine definitely stirred the peaceful neighborhood, leaving behind a plume of black smoke.

Their elegant clothing flaps in the wind as he skillfully weaves between the cars on the road. The bright headlights and red brake lights illuminate his path. As he passes the congested bridge, Lucas feels a sense of superiority as he effortlessly glides past the line of cars.

The neighboring river flows dark and resembles a black sheet, gently rippling in the wind. Max held onto Lucas tightly as he accelerated, fearing for her life. Yet, she couldn't help throwing her arms in the air and screaming with excitement as they entered a tunnel. Lucas was clearly concerned for her safety, slapping Max's thigh to encourage caution, a gesture Max initially misinterpreted.

After this exhilarating journey, they finally arrived at the city center. They found a suitable parking spot, hoping that Lucas would not face any repercussions for his actions. Walking home was not an option. They removed their helmets, breathing a sigh of relief.

"What was that slap?" Max asked after getting off the motorcycle, rubbing her completely chilled bare skin.

"It was a warning to be careful. I didn't want you to fall backwards, that's all." After explaining his motives, of course, Lucas the Gentleman removed his beige jacket and draped it over the girl's back, who in turn thanked him sincerely, taken by surprise. 

They walked down the street side by side. Sinclair's inner voice urged him to hold Max's hand, but he didn't think it was appropriate. In the narrow streets, some of the houses were still decorated with Christmas lights and ornaments, which made them look surprised.

When they reached the end of the street, Lucas gently took Max's elbow and led her into an elegant restaurant where he had made a reservation two days ago.

"Lucas... there was no need for this!" Max exclaimed, catching a glimpse of the expensive, upscale restaurant.

"Yes, it was necessary, you deserve it." But his wallet doesn't deserve it, he thought. But that didn't matter, he'd spend what little money he had on her. He gave her a confident smile and put his hand behind her back.

After being attended to by a waiter at the entrance, they were led to a table in the corner of the room. It wasn't exactly candlelit as Lucas had thought, as the restaurant was well lit with a light yellow hue, but it was still discreet and pleasant.

As she sat down, Max felt the soft beige satin tablecloth rustle against her knees. She picked up the meticulously folded red napkin on the immaculate porcelain plate and placed it on her lap.

Later, they both swallowed dry as they studied the menu and its prices, but ended up deciding to order the roast beef with mushrooms, served with truffled cauliflower puree and basmati rice, and a bottle of the incomparable Cabernet Sauvignon.

The waiter made a point of serving them, pouring the wine into balloon-shaped glasses. They toasted by clinking their glasses and savoring the dark wine, letting it slide down their throats.

Despite her lack of experience in the business, all the boys she had been with in her early teens had treated her like any other girl. But Lucas seemed stuck in decades past, treating her like a lady. Something she found charming, even though it made her feel older.

She enjoyed hearing Lucas's entertaining stories and jokes about his thrilling and adventurous life. Despite his illegal and rebellious actions, he exuded charm and grace. During their conversation, Lucas, who was unemployed and a thief, divulged some of the crimes he had committed, ranging from minor thefts at jewelry stores to stealing turkeys from a neighbor's farm. Max was shocked as she listened to his tales of kleptomania.

He gave in to his impulses despite being incarcerated twice for several months. However, he was released and is now at risk of returning to prison due to stealing a car and the Harley, apparently.

However, he was an amateur and had never seriously hurt anyone, and he chose his targets well. He committed crimes not out of necessity, but out of lust, curiosity, and sometimes revenge. She had made it clear that he was sometimes stupid, and he didn't disagree. But they still liked each other that way.

She noticed that he liked to impress her. He had a talent for making her laugh. Or did he do that with every girl he met? From what she had seen, he was very nice and polite to everyone, especially women. Still, she felt special around him. Or maybe she was just needy. This thought drew her to her husband. She blew away the depressing memory.

Lucas had never really been interested in talking about her husband, to be honest, but she didn't talk about him much of her own accord. Not even a small association of shared tastes, no spontaneous recollection of a trip she had taken with him, no memory, good or bad, to share.

Until now, all he knew was that her husband worked in a mold factory across town from Dallas. And that he apparently didn't sleep at home sometimes, for what reason he didn't know, but Lucas was grateful that he did.

But what interested him was Max, and he concentrated on finding out more about her. By now he had learned that her favorite fruit was strawberries and her favorite color was blue. When she was little, she used to ride her bike and skateboard in her backyard, and she always loved Wonder Woman.

"Whenever I saw a magazine with her on the cover, I would beg my mom to buy it. I collected almost all the comic books. I don't know, I was obsessed with her. Not only did I think she was super pretty and had an incredible outfit, but she was like an inspiration to me. I wanted to be like her, brave, strong, fearless. She was different from the way women were usually portrayed in movies."

He noticed her smiling, nostalgic look, proud of the influence the superhero had on her growing up. But she didn't know that she was already a hero to him, 'cause she helped him breathe again like a breath of fresh air.

"I can imagine, I loved Wonder Woman too." He commented, sticking a fork into his mouth, taking a small bite of beef.

"As much as you liked Jessica Rabbit?" asked Max, looking contemptuously at him sideways as she took a sip of wine. The man tilted his head and gave a pout that meant something like that. Max couldn't help but laugh, rolling her eyes and shaking her head in denial.

He wiped the corners of his mouth with his napkin and smiled at the fact that she had brought back memories that had been stuck in his head since he was a little boy.

"You know, when I was little, I had an obsession too. I wanted to be a cowboy. I didn't even know what they did, but I thought it was phenomenal to see these men riding around on these majestic animals. Whenever they rode in groups to the cafe where my mother worked, everyone stopped to look at these men with these hats and scarves around their necks, always with their guns tucked into their belts. In a way, they commanded respect, and I don't know why I admired them. I even took some riding lessons to follow my dream, but it came to nothing."

Max laughed at the image her brain created of a little Lucas with his mouth open looking at the cowboys. She also imagined that he would make a fine cowboy.

"When I was little, I wanted to be a ballerina." She confessed, looking down at her plate and running the knife through the meat. "I used to love watching the elegant little ballerina twirl around in the jewelry box my mother gave me for my ninth birthday. She twirled gracefully and delicately, but never moved. At the same time, I felt sorry for her."

"So why didn't you become a ballerina?" Lucas asked, taking a sip of wine. She shrugged.

"It wasn't a dream I really wanted to achieve, and let's just say I didn't fight very hard for it. I even took ballet, but I didn't like it. My feet were always sore."

"It's never too late to try again." Lucas joked, raising his eyebrows and pointing at her with his index finger. She dismissed his attempt at encouragement, claiming she was too old for it.

"Really? Don't tell me you're 67. You're really well preserved." He scoffed, taking another sip of wine. Lucas couldn't hide his laughter and Max rolled her eyes. He almost choked when she told him she wasn't even 20. 

"I swore you were older." He said and the redhead glared at him. "No, I mean, you don't look it, you have a baby face, but... you're very mature and wise for your age. I mean... how old were you when you got married?"

Maxine cleared her throat as if she didn't want to broach the topic. In fact, her marriage was the elephant in the room. Then Sinclair hurriedly changed the subject to happier ones.

Despite having the Cartier on his wrist, Lucas never looked at it and time passed without them noticing. It was as if time ceased to exist when they were in each other's presence. Nothing around them mattered anymore.

Meanwhile, they finished the main course and shared a strawberry and caramel ice cream milkshake. When the coffees were served they both looked at each other and laughed. They were in front of the emblematic symbol of their relationship.

"You were truly a gift that the universe gave me. I've never been so grateful for spilling coffee on someone." Max confessed while blowing on the boiling coffee.

"Neither did I for burning myself and ruining my clothes. I remember you every time I drink coffee. By the way, I noticed later that my pants were stained too." Still laughing, the girl opened her mouth in shock. He complained to him for not having said it sooner.

"We could have gone to a laundromat. I would pay!" This was his turn to repress her for talking about money.

Meanwhile, Sinclair raised his arm in the air, signaling for the waiter to bring the check. When he returned with the check, he hid his astonishment and acted as if he spent that amount every day.

Max looked at the bill and whispered. "Hey, do you want to split it? I think-"

"Don't worry, I have enough." He replied and opened his wallet.

"I can pay, I insist, for God's sake, Lucas, you're-"

"Max, I invited you, so I'll pay." He turned to her assertively and put his hand over hers. Max had nothing to say against this argument and raised her hands in surrender.

He handed the money to the waiter, who thanked him cordially and escorted them out.

After leaving the restaurant, they walked to the large square across the street, surrounded by other restaurants and teahouses. The area was poorly lit by just a few lamps, and in the center was a large, dazzling fountain from which strings of water fell and splashed into an area that looked more like a swimming pool.

Lucas felt he couldn't be happier. He was about to spend a pleasant evening in the company of a woman who was polite, dreamy and beautiful. Not only on the outside, but also in her heart. Although sometimes she has no sense, just like him.

"Would you like to cool your feet?" Max said, turning to him with an adorable smile and pointing her chin at the fountain in front of them. At first, Lucas looked at her with a question mark on his forehead, but when he saw the fountain, he opened a wide smile.

They sat down on the edge of the fountain, took off their shoes, and Lucas pulled up the hem of his pants. Finally, they stepped into the well, feeling the cold water stimulate the circulation in their feet. 

They approached the well and held out their hands to receive the water. And obviously, like two children, they started throwing water at each other. It started with a little kick in the water and ended with them catching the liquid with their shell-shaped hands and throwing it at each other. If they continued, they would surely fall into the small pool.

The people walking calmly around the square stared at them in shock. Feeling ashamed of themselves and judging these two lunatics who were probably already drunk, they nodded their heads with a certain amount of disdain. But there were those who laughed and admired their courage as well.

The playtime didn't last that long, however, as several employees and bouncers from a nearby bar rushed to throw them out. They grabbed their shoes and ran out of the place.

They ran through the streets where they had once walked side by side, almost hand in hand. They ran barefoot like there was no tomorrow. Max ran ahead of him, holding her dress in one hand and the high heels in the other. He could hear her excited laughter as she looked back at him. Her red hair swayed from side to side like flames of burning fire.

His secret to getting away with his less than proper actions was to be discreet, something he definitely wasn't at the moment. He didn't even seem to recognize himself.

But it didn't matter, because this moment rejuvenated his soul.

          THEY STAGGERED THROUGH the narrow, dark streets, laughing their heads off and reaching the highest peak of alcohol in their blood. After tripping over their own feet more than three times, they spotted a pleasant park in the distance, full of green grass with stone paths winding around trees that would provide perfect shade on sunny days.

For a moment, they felt like herbivores, as they were so eager to get closer to that soft grass to relax their dirty and sore bare feet. 

While the comfortable grass massaged their feet, they looked for a tree to lean against. They chose an oak tree with a thick trunk and visible roots. They sat under the tree and sighed loudly with exhaustion.

"I hope we're not Newton and there aren't any apples up there." Lucas joked before realizing it was an oak. Max laughed in agreement, remembering her physics lessons. What a bad memory.

On the horizon, the colorful lights of traffic signals, street lamps, and houses could be seen in the distance. After a few minutes of urgent rest, Max turned to Lucas, who was still laying down, and straightened her dress.

"Hey, I have a present for you." Max said and Lucas opened his eyes, still lying on the grass. He turned around and propped himself up on one elbow, holding his head with his hand.

"Is that so? What is it?"

Then the girl excitedly took out her small bag and handed him a cassette. It had a sticker on it that said "Max's Mixtape".

"I made one for you. I put on my favorite songs by The Beatles, Cyndi Lauper, Tears for Fears, Kate Bush and others, and I also put on some of The Cure and ABBA that you said you liked."

Lucas, who was already sitting in front of her, was overjoyed with the gift.

"Thank you Max, it's a really nice present. Now it'll be even harder to stop thinking about you. And by the way, you have very good taste in music. So, thank you." Lucas stroked the cassette like it was the best present he'd ever gotten and Max felt a pleasant relief that he liked it.

But Sinclair had come prepared as well. He reached into his jacket and pulled a small navy blue velvet box out of his pocket.

The crazy, utopian idea that he was going to ask her to marry him flashed through Max's mind and made her hold her breath for a second.

When he opened the box, two tiny pieces of silver jewelry sparkled. They were two earrings, one was the sun and the other was the moon. Although she wasn't much of a jewelry lover, these pieces were indeed beautiful.

"They're beautiful!" She didn't even dare to ask how much they cost.

"Would you like to wear them? They'll look much better on you." She couldn't stop smiling. One day she would die of diabetes from all this honey and sweetness. She took off the pearls and replaced them with the new earrings.

"Why did you choose this one?" She asked, knowing that Lucas used to do everything with a purpose.

"It's simple. You are the sun and I am the moon, for you are the light that illuminates me in the darkest of nights."

"Oh..." She exclaimed and laughed, hiding her face between her hands, refusing to show that such words accentuated her shyness. "It's like... I think you're the sun. You're the one with the energy, the joy, the willpower, the positivity, and with your presence you light up everyone. Especially with your gleaming white teeth." This was Lucas' moment to blush. "And I... I am the moon. Pale, silent, still, showing only one side..."

"Pale? Have you seen the color of your hair? Only one side...? Oh... you mean you have something to hide...?" He narrowed his eyes playfully and touched the tip of her nose with his fingertip.

"We all have our secrets, and we don't have to reveal our fears and insecurities to everyone... or infect them with our sadness. We have to show that we are strong and can cope with the adverse circumstances in our lives..." She stared absent-mindedly at a point on the floor as she spoke what was on her mind.

Lucas listened intently, the sadness and concern visible in his eyes. He wished she would trust him and open her heart, maybe he could help her. But what he felt at that moment was that she didn't deserve to carry heavy burdens that would wither her joy.

He cupped her face in his hands.

"You know what, we are each other's light and satellite. We need each other to survive." A broad smile lit up her face, filling it with color.

In fact, Lucas was the sun, he was a complete source of warmth. She felt her cheeks flush at the contact of his palms on her skin and his words in her heart. What use was a blanket when you had the romantic Lucas Sinclair.

"And now would be the perfect time to get a guitar out from behind my back and sing a love song, but that's impossible." Lucas joked and Max smiled, still a bit drunk and enveloped in this loving atmosphere.

"You don't have to, your voice is already a beautiful melody." If she had blushed before, she blushed even more now. For a few seconds, she was embarrassed to let her thoughts slip out of her mouth. But Lucas wouldn't let her take the last prize.

"You took the words right out of my mouth." He flashed a seductive smile and emerged victorious. Ugh. She wanted to scream and bite him. Then, driven by anger at being immersed in so much cuteness, she pushed him backwards, sending him crashing to the grass.

Now Lucas' blazer was dirty. She was going to charge him for the dry cleaning. Laughing, he readjusted his posture and sat down in front of her again, closer than before. Their knees touched and they used the comfortable silence to look at each other.

The cold gripped Max's arms again. Lucas didn't hesitate to take off his jacket and cover Max's shoulders again.

Every sweet gesture from Lucas hit her stomach like camomile tea.

She had promised herself that she would never need a man's help, and she never did. But she felt good when Lucas took care of her. She suppressed the electrifying urge to grab his face and press her lips against his. She found herself shaking her leg anxiously and unconsciously.

Roy had never cared about her. He hadn't even offered her anything. Except trouble and heartbreak. Such a conclusion hardened her heart. But Lucas didn't know that, nor did he deserve to let his failed marriage dampen the mood.

She felt the boy was hypnotized as he stared at her. His sweet chocolate brown eyes roamed her face, oscillating anxiously between her eyes.

His diaphragm moved violently up and down. His head was racing. Like fans in the stands at a football game, his neurons were screaming at him to come closer. But he couldn't, he shouldn't. Shit. He was going crazy. The temptation was back. And the rule was to fall.

"Thank you for being my best friend." Max broke the trance. She felt she had to thank him for all he had done for her, more than he could imagine.

Best friend. For a moment, that nickname didn't sit well in his stomach, but that was what they were. And when he thought about it, they really were best friends, soulmates.

"Yes, best friends. You don't have to thank me for that." A smile broke out on his face. Although... friends don't stare at each other forever with that silly smile, waiting for something more. Their body language doesn't match what comes out of their mouths.

This interruption hit him like a bucket of cold water. But maybe it was an opportunity not to ruin everything with Max. Their relationship could not be tainted by... adultery? But if she loved her husband so much, she wouldn't even be here!...right? No, it doesn't mean anything. They are just friends.

He rolled his shoulders back and stretched. He looked at the watch on his wrist for the first time in several hours and realized that maybe it was time to take her home. Lucas suggested it and Max agreed.

"Yeah, that's better." She said and stood up, brushing away the leaves that were stuck in her hair. "It's just that I'll be back to normal by midnight."

She said it so naturally that Lucas had to blink twice to get the joke.

"Then, Cinderella, at least give me your shoes so I can go to the bar and try them on your feet and those of your colleagues to know which I have to marry." Max laughed at his joke, feeling a twinge of jealousy that he was hypothetically going to touch her coworkers.

Mayfield tried to clean Sinclair's dirty jacket and pants as they made their way back to the Harley, this time with their shoes on.

But the silence was shattered by the blaring sirens and red and blue lights of the police cars that surrounded them on a street. The cars were parked almost horizontally in the middle of the quiet little street. Max, completely dazed, didn't realize what was happening, but Lucas knew it was for him. This time they were there for him. To take him away.

Realizing this macabre reality and that he didn't have enough time to escape, he turned to Max and held her face with both hands.

"Max, you have to get out of here. Go to Harley, if it's still there, and go home. Or call a cab or something. But please run." Lucas whispered these words at high speed, and the amount of wine she had consumed made it difficult for the redhead to think quickly.

But as soon as she saw the police surrounding him and pushing him hard against the hood of the car, she took a few frightened steps back.

"It'll be okay, it will. It's going to be okay." Lucas muttered to Max in the distance. She was completely petrified, frozen. They cuffed his hands behind his back as they spoke a few words aloud in their thick voices. They explained why he was being arrested, for what crimes and whatnot, but everything was blurry to Max.

She couldn't move or hear a word. But she didn't want to stand there and watch. Or even get in trouble for it. So she took advantage of the fact that no cop was looking at her and ran down the street.

She ran with every ounce of energy she had left. She took off her high heels to make it easier. For a moment she felt lost. She didn't recognize these alleys, which were more like a maze. Some people walking along the streets looked at her as if she was crazy.

Meanwhile, the streets became more familiar. She was back in the center. She remembered where Lucas had parked the Harley. And it was still there. She sighed loudly and gasped for breath when she got there. If he had been arrested because of the bike, she probably wouldn't be here anymore, right?

She looked at the motorcycle. She would have to go alone. Or would it be better to call a taxi? She put her hands to her head, dizziness weakening her. She opened her bag and realized she hadn't brought her wallet. No cash, no credit cards to withdraw money. What the fuck? Ugh, she'd forgotten everything when she'd rushed home. How ridiculous. She threw her head back in frustration. Even if she wanted to pay for dinner, she couldn't. She laughed nervously. 

She would have to go alone with Harley. Fear haunted her. She had done this before, but always with Lucas behind her. She felt a complete emptiness. She never thought that she would go home without him. She thought he would leave her on her doorstep and she would feel the warmth of his embrace and the pleasant smell of his perfume one last time before she entered that cold, dark house. But it seemed that loneliness had come early.

She breathed out deeply. There was nothing more she could do. She put on the helmet and sat down on the motorcycle.

          HANDCUFFED, LUCAS WAS sitting in the car between two cops. The smell of sweat and old leather hung in the car. He controlled himself not to throw up. He was going back to that shithole.

He went around and around in his head, wondering how he'd been found out. I mean, these months have been a series of failures. He hadn't been hiding in the shadows like before. He'd been out in the open in the city centers. Someone might have seen him and recognized him. Maybe his old boss. Oh no.

Could it have been Max? No, that's impossible. He shook his head at the thought of such a delusion. He'd seen the frightened look on her face. Besides, she'd been at her side the whole night and hadn't even picked up the phone.

He trusted her. He trusted that he could do this. Otherwise it would be the biggest betrayal he had ever suffered in his life. A stab in the back. But it wasn't her. It was himself and his carelessness. The natural consequence of his actions, perhaps.

Also, he trusted her. And this night served to strengthen that bond. He promised himself that he would take care of her, even from afar.

          FORTUNATELY, MAX REMEMBERED the way home. She might have traveled a few unnecessary miles, but the important thing was that she got home. Parked Harley a few blocks away and walked home.

Her feet were dirty and stiff from the tar. She got home and Roy was asleep on the sofa surrounded by beers with the TV blaring.

She lied to him and told him she was working late that day and he didn't care. Sometimes his disinterest was a blessing.

Max slowly closed the door, went upstairs and lay down on the bed, completely surrendered. She threw herself onto the bed that would be hers alone tonight. Massaged her aching feet. She hated high heels. Whoever invented this crap must be in hell, she thought.

And she also thought of Lucas.

Normally, when Max left the house, she looked forward to hiding under the covers, away from the world, where no one could see her. To be quiet and recharge her social batteries.

But with Lucas it was different. She could be herself without feeling the need to pretend to fit in.

She lay on her side in a fetal position and grabbed one of the pillows. She was worried about him. He's strong, he'll make it. She let out a pained sigh. She really hoped so. But of course, when you walk in the rain, you get wet. So everyone knew that it was going to happen someday.

For a moment, she regretted not kissing him. She could now relive the moment when their lips met and moved against each other. Relive that feeling. She would have another memory to cling to like a buoy in the open sea instead of thinking about the thud of his body against the hood of that car.

She closed her eyes tightly. And pushed away the thought of ingratitude. She had shared special moments with Lucas that night. She smiled as she remembered how his face lit up when he got the tape, how excited he was to splash in the fountain, how he draped his jacket over her shoulders.

She shivered with cold. She loved this night, despite the outcome. Lost in her cloudy thoughts, she finally fell asleep.

( may speaking! )

a bittersweet twist, but don't worry, things will get better... maybe.

© cxstlebyxrs

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

413K 9.5K 109
Just Max Mayfield imagines. Enjoyyyy. The updates will be kinda slow for a while but just hang with me. Changing this to Max and Sadie imagines so mo...
8.5K 504 45
⋆。°✩˗ All Will Byers wanted was to sneak out and party for his 21st birthday. ⋆。°✩˗ Now he was half-way across the country with a known fugitive an...
10.6K 170 26
'Will heard Mike scoff and say "You are so pathetic!" before he slammed the basement door shut.' 'Well, this summer is going great. This summer is go...
323K 11.3K 61
|| rewritten version on my account ! || " 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗮 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝘀𝘀 , 𝗺𝗮𝘅 . " " 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲 , 𝗷𝗮𝘆 . "...