BEGIN BEFORE THE END | WTM |...

By Rifter29

Follow the story of Cathy Potter as she and the entire school of Hogwarts sees what their future has in store... More

DISCLAIMER
BEGIN BEFORE THE END
ACT 1
PROLOGUE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
ACT 2
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
ACT 3
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64

28

5K 190 36
By Rifter29

CHAPTER 28
R

IDDLE AND DINNER

After the confrontation with the Malfoys the entire families were all seated outside enjoying lunch at a shop. All the parents were seated together whilst the children were seat around several tables.

“You don’t have to pay for this.” Arthur tried to tell Regulus.

“Consider it an apology for all the cursing my wife did in front of your children.” Regulus said.

“You really shouldn’t swear in front of children.” James reprimanded his sister in a mocking tone.

Cathy responded by flipping him her middle finger.

Cathy was about to take a bite of her food but stopped as the spoon hovered next to her mouth.

“He had it coming.” She spoke. “Racist prick.”

“I thought people understood that muggle-borns are necessary for the wizarding world.” Mr. Granger said. “Hermione told us that muggle-borns are the only way for purebloods to preserve magic in their families.”

“That doesn’t mean people will accept that as the truth.” Mary told them. “Some families refuse to acknowledge that muggle-borns are anything other than peasants stealing magic from them.”

“Well, that and we’d have to admit that hundreds of years of pureblood traditions are wrong.” Evan said. “Most purebloods would rather live ignorantly than face the truth.”

“But some aren’t so bigoted.” Mary said reaching over to Evan and holding his hand. Evan held up her hand and kissed it.

Someone whistled very loudly and made both Mary and Evan blush violently.

“You’re a muggle-born, aren’t you?” Ms. Granger said.

“Yeah.” Mary nodded. “A lot of people weren’t happy with me marrying into the Rosier family.”

“I can understand that.” Lucius said.

“But we did it anyway.” Evan said. “My father terrified that our name would be crossed out of the Sacred Twenty-Eight.”

“The what?” Ms. Granger asked.

“It’s a list of the purest pureblood families.” Molly explained. “There are twenty-eight families written down.”

“And your families are all on it?”

“Mine isn’t.” Cathy said while everyone else nodded.

“Why was your family excluded?”

“Because even back than the Potter family was pro-muggle.” They excluded us because they believed that we were as impure as the muggle-borns.”

“It was a real kick in the balls for a lot of people when the first Chaos Castor to be born in a thousand years came from the Potter family.” Evan laughed. “I still remember the look on me grans face!”

“It’s still unbelievable.” Bellatrix murmured.

“I have to go to the washroom. Excuse me.” Cathy said getting up from her seat.

“Ooh me too.” Mary said following her.

“They get along quite well.” Mr. Granger said as Cathy and Mary disappeared into the store.

“They use to be flat mates.” Evan told them. “And back when Cathy worked with the Ministry, she and my wife use to be partners.”

“That’s why they’re so friendly.” Marlene realized.

“They’ve saved each other’s lives so many times and confided in each other that they basically think of the other as a sister.” Regulus smiled.

“Mr. Black.” Regulus turned around and saw his old Hogwarts professor there with a man and a young boy with her.

“Professor!” the marauders all cheered for their house teacher.

“Professor.” Regulus stood up and shook hands with the witch. “It’s wonderful to see you again!”

“It really is.” Minerva said. “Rosier.”

“Professor.” Evan nodded.

“I was showing these two through the ins and outs of Diagon Alley when we decided to sit down for a break.” Professor McGonagall gestured to pair she was accompanying.

“Please join us.” Arthur said.

“Thank you.” The man said.

“Who is that?” Dorcas asked.

“I dunno but he’s a good-looking bloke.” Lily said.

“I don’t think he’s that good-looking.” James whispered.

“Ryan.” Regulus called out to his son.

“Yo.” Ryan turned around and noticed the man and his son. “Oh hi.”

“Hello.” The boy said.

Ryan noticed that the boy had several first-year text books. “First year?” the boy nodded. “My sister’s starting this year too. Come sit with us.”

“Thanks.” The boy pulled up a chair next to Neville. “I’m Mattheo, by the way.”

“I’m Ryan. These are my sisters Cassie and Halley, this is Harry and Ron and Neville.”

As the children made introductions. Regulus offered a chair to Mattheo’s father as he introduced himself. “I’m Regulus. Regulus Black.”

“I’m Thomas. Thomas Riddle.” The man introduced.

Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall and Professor Slughorn all turned pale at the name.

“Thomas Riddle? I feel like I’ve heard that name before.” Professor Flitwick said.

“Yes.” Professor Binns agreed. “As do I.”

The wizards sitting at the table all froze instantly. Evan, who had been sipping his drink, immediately began to cough and spit out some of his drink.

Molly patted him gently on the back as the Grangers made their own introductions. After they finished, Thomas looked to Arthur and Molly who introduced themselves and finally to Evan.

“I’m Evan.” He spoke. “Say Thomas, how to spell your last name?”

“R-I-D-D-L-E.” Thomas spelt out.

“No silent letters thrown in the mix or anything?”

“Uh, no.” Thomas said.

“Why’s he so interested in his name?” Peter wondered.

“And why did they all react like that when he said his name?” Remus asked.

The Grangers took over the conversation with Thomas and Evan and Regulus leaned over to Professor McGonagall.

“What the hell?” Regulus whispered to the witch through a smile. “Is he related to--”

“I believe so.” Minerva whispered back through her smile as well. “Though I’m not sure if he knows. I haven’t asked.”

“Related to who?” Regulus wondered.

“Why the bloody hell not?” Evan said also through a smile.

“It’s not something easy to bring up in conversation, is it?”

“It must have been a shock that your son was a wizard.” Mr. Granger told Thomas. “I know that it was for me for our Hermione got her letter. We thought it was a prank until Professor McGonagall showed up at our front step.”

“It wasn’t too much of a shock.” Thomas said. “I sort of recognized the signs over the years. Unexplainable accidents and all that.”

“What does he mean?” Molly questioned.

“You knew about the signs of accidental magic?” Regulus looked curiously at the muggle. “Were you aware of magic before Professor McGonagall showed up?”

“Uh, yeah.” Thomas said.

“My dad met a witch before.” Mattheo told them.

“Really?” Cassie looked to her father. “I thought muggles weren’t allowed to know about our world unless there were extenuating circumstances.”

“They aren’t.” Regulus said.

“So, this witch,” Evan said, “is she your sons’ mother?”

“No, Mattheo was—"

“I was a surrogate baby.” Mattheo said.

“Cool.” Ryan said.

“What’s that?” Miles asked.

“It’s like adoption but instead you pay someone to carry your own kid instead.” Ryan said. All the adults looked at Ryan questioningly. “What? I was curious about how gays and lesbians have kids and mum explained a few things to me.”

“So you’re gay?” Evan asked.

“Dad!” Miles looked at his father embarrassed.

“Uh, no.” Thomas said with a chuckle. “My parents passed away and my family’s pretty well off and I didn’t have any other relatives and—”

“You needed someone to pass your money down to?” Regulus enquired and Thomas nodded.

“Ah! Say no more. We totally understand.” Evan smiled.

“So, this witch that you met,” Arthur spoke, “what happened between the two of you? I mean you must have been close for her to disclose the secret of our world to you.”

“We were close I suppose you could say.” Thomas said. “As brief as our time together was.”

“It’s still very worrying that this witch just told you about world all willy nilly.” Professor McGonagall commented.

“Maybe, but I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for her.” Thomas said. “Well, her and her friends.”

“Why do I get the feeling that she wasn’t just a friend?” Ryan smiled coyly.

“That’s because she wasn’t.” Mattheo said. “They dated apparently.”

“Mattheo!”

“What you did.”

“I like that kid.” Cathy said.

“Of course you do.” Regulus smiled. “He’s basically another Ryan.”

Ryan looked a Mattheo and smiled. “I like you.”

“So…” Evan looked at Thomas curiously, “…whatever happened to this witch?”

“She said that her world was in the middle of a war so she and I went our separate ways.” Thomas said.

“Reasonable.” Evan nodded.

“So there really was a war?” Thomas asked and the wizards nodded. “Oh good. I sometimes thought that that was just a line she used not to call me again.”

“So, who was this witch?” Professor McGonagall enquired. “I’m curious to find out who these witches who broke the statue of secrecy are?”

At that moment Cathy and Mary returned from the washroom and arrived at their table.

“Ah!” Evan started to introduce them to Thomas when they arrived. “Thomas, this is my wife Mary and that’s—"

“Cathy.” Thomas looked at the redhead in shock.

Cathy’s eyes looked surprised at the sight of the man. “Thomas.” She breathed.

“Uh-oh.” James said.

“That means that the witch Thomas was talking about was—"

“No way.” Mattheo looked at the Cathy and then at his father. “This is Cathy?”

“The witch your dad dated was Cathy?” Miles asked.

“Yeah.” Mattheo nodded. “Small world. How do you guys know her?”

“She’s…my aunt.” Harry said.

“Oh!” Mattheo smiled.

“And our mother.” Cassie added.

“Oh.” Mattheo’s smiled faded.

“Which makes her his wife.” Miles said pointing to Regulus.

“Oh...” Mattheo mumbled.

“Awkward.” Someone called out.

“Do you know who that bloke is?” Regulus questioned Cathy and a lot of people turned to her to see her answer.

“I’ve never seen him before in my life.” Cathy told him and everyone else.

“Not yet.” Remus said.

Thomas and Cathy were staring at each other in silence lost in their own world. Neither one could believe that the other was there.

"Mummy." Halley called out to her mother breaking the silence. Cathy looked to her daughter and saw that she had spilled some of her drink on herself. Cathy walked over to her with Thomas’ eyes still on her.

“Let’s get you cleaned up.” Cathy said holding her daughters’ hand and leading her toward the washroom. She stopped in front of her table again and looked at Thomas. “It was nice seeing you again.”

“Y-Yeah, you too.” Thomas said.

As Cathy led Halley to the washroom, the little seven-year-old turned back to her siblings and gave them a thumbs up. Cassie and Ryan reciprocated the gesture.

“Those sneaky devils!” Sirius laughed.

“Hello Thomas.” Mary greeted the muggle.

“Wait she knows him too?”

“Well he did say that Cathy was with other witches. So there must have been at least one other witch that knew about him.” Remus reasoned.

“Mary!” Thomas looked at her as if finally noticing her. “Hey it’s been so long.”

Mary hugged him as the rest of the adults just watched in silence. “It has. It really has.”

The scene changed and became night at the Black residence. The children were all in the living room and dining room whilst Cathy and Mary were in the kitchen. As the two witches were chopping up vegetables and stirring the pot, Miles came into the kitchen.

“Aw! Things were just getting fun.” James complained.

“Hey.”

“Did you need something, love?” Cathy asked.

“I just wanted to know what you’re making.” He answered. “And what mum’s making.”

“Isn’t he sweet?” Dorcas said.

Mary stopped chopping vegetables and looked at her son rather suspiciously.

“Why do you wanted to know what I’m making?”

“No reason just curious.” Miles shrugged innocently. He walked over to Cathy and tried to see what she was cooking.

Cathy smiled happily. “Relax your Ma’s just chopping up the veg. I’m doing the actual cooking.”

“Oh thank god!” Miles visibly sighed with relief.

“Hey!” Mary looked at her son annoyed and offended.

“I’m sorry mum but me, Cassie and the boys are starting school in a few days and none of us can afford to have food poisoning right now.”

After that comment Miles quickly left the kitchen before Mary could respond to her sons words. Mary looked at Cathy looking offended.

“I see your still bad at following a recipe.” Marlene said as Mary blushed red.

“Do you see the way he talks to me?”

“Yeah, but I’ve also seen the way you cook.” Cathy murmured to herself.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, Miles is a brat. Pass me the carrots please.” Cathy said innocently.

"What a day huh?” Mary said as she gave her the carrots.

“Yeah.” Cathy replied as she stirred the pot that was cooking in the stove.

“So…I reckon you never told Regulus about how we met Thomas.” Mary stated.

“No.” Cathy said turning to face Mary. “Why? Did you tell Evan?”

“Of course not.” Mary shook her head. “What happened fourteen years ago is between you, me and Amelia Bones.”

Amelia Bones immediately perked up at the mention of her name.

“So, the last witch was her.” Remus said.

“Exactly.” Cathy nodded.

“Still, he’s gonna want to talk about it. You’ll have to tell him something or maybe everything sooner or later.” Mary said. Just then Evan and Regulus came into the kitchen. “And I stand corrected.”

“Catherine.” Regulus greeted his wife.

“Reg.” Cathy responded.

“We’ve been married for almost thirteen years.”

“Sounds about right.” Cathy nodded.

“Well…um….”

“How the hell could you not tell us you dated Tom Riddle?” Evan interrupted.

Thomas.” Cathy corrected. “Thomas Riddle.”

“Does that really matter?” Evan questioned. “The point is—"

“Evan.” Regulus cut off his friend. “Catherine, how could you not tell me about this fellow?”

“You wanna hear about all my ex-boyfriends?” Cathy raised as eyebrow as she went back to adding some ingredients into the pot.

“When their last name is Riddle, yes.” Regulus said.

“What is it about that guy and his name that’s got everyone so riled up?” Fleamont wondered.

“Absolutely.” Evan nodded.

Cathy looked at Evan and then back to Regulus. “Why is Evan here?”

Cathy started speaking French and the screen showed yellow subtitles translating what she was saying.

“Ooh subtitles.” Lily said.

“What did she say?” Evan asked.

Evan said that he wanted to come and watch the drama unfold.” Regulus told Cathy.

“Okay, I heard my name twice. Do you know what they’re saying?” Evan asked Mary.

“No.” Mary said.

“Why are you getting so upset about this? I told you that I dated people other than you years ago.” Cathy said returning back to English.

“Yeah, but I never thought that I’d ever have to meet them.” Regulus said. “Plus, there’s the little fact that his last name is Riddle.”

“Again, with the name.”

“Fine!” Cathy said. “I’ll tell you about him and everything else.”

Mary looked at her worryingly. “Everything, everything?”

“We sorted everything out years ago so I don’t thing that we need to keep quiet about it anymore Mary.”

“Fine.” Mary said.

“Okay.” Cathy turned off the stove and walked over to Evan and Regulus. “About a thousand years ago—”

“Good evening, all!” Walburga announced as she entered the kitchen. “I smell something good!”

“Dammit!” Evan cursed.

“It’s lovely to see you too, Evan.” Walburga looked crossly at Evan.

“No! I wasn’t talking about—"

“Hi Walburga.” Cathy smiled. “What are you doing here?”

“Well last year you didn’t want a big dinner when Ryan went off to Hogwarts because you didn’t want to overwhelm Harry so this year we going to celebrate even more before they’re sent off.”

“That’s lovely, mother but Catherine and I were about to have an important conversation.” Regulus said.

“What a coincidence, I was coming here to have also have an important conversation with the two of you.” Walburga said. “So, Evan, if you and your wife wouldn’t mind.”

 “We’ll go set the table.” Mary told Cathy.

“This isn’t over.” Evan whispered.

Once the Rosier’s left, Walburga pulled up a chair and looked at Regulus and Cathy kindly.

“You know how Cassie is going off to Hogwarts tomorrow with the boys?”

“Yes, I’ve been in here cooking for over an hour for that very reason.” Cathy nodded.

“Well did you know that in four years Halley will be off to school too?”

“We’re aware.” Regulus said carefully.

“Isn’t it just tragic that in four years this house will be quiet and void of the laughter of children in just for years?” Walburga asked.

Cathy looked at Walburga very suspiciously. “Maybe.”

“Where is she going with this?” Euphemia enquired.

“Do you know what’ll keep the joy and happiness in this house and not to mention your marriage?”

Cathy rolled her eyes. “Oh my god! Walburga we’re not having any more children.”

“That’s what she was leading up to?” Cathy looked incredulously.

“Why not?” Walburga questioned.

“Good god, Mother.” Regulus sounded exasperated. “We’re already raising five children. Any more and Molly and Arthur Weasley might think that we’re trying to compete with them or something.”

“Yes, but of those five Cathy only gave birth to three of them.” Walburga argued.

“The answer’s no Walburga.” Cathy said.

“Don’t you remember what it’s like to hold a baby in your arms? The way they have snuggle and cuddle in the safety of their parents’ arms? That new born baby smell?” Walburga said.

Regulus’ expression softened. “Of course, we do but—"

“What about all the cute baby noises they make? The giggling and squealing?”

“You practiced this speech before you came here, didn’t you?” Cathy enquired.

“Yes.” Walburga admitted. “But don’t you remember when they learn to speak?”

“Yeah.” Regulus sighed.

“Stay strong!’ Cathy said to the screen.

Walburga immediately went in for the kill. “Remember how they stumble as they learn to walk? How you hold their arms up as they practice? The little words that they speak, the way they lisp and mispronounce words. The feeling you get when they say Mama and Papa—"

“Give it back!” Cassie’s voice interrupted Walburga’s speech.

“For the love of God, I said I didn’t take it!” Ryan shouted.

“Mum! Ryan took my wand!”

“Just cause it’s lost doesn’t mean I took it!” Ryan yelled. “Trying looking for it dammit!”

“I saw Halley with it!” Harry told Cassie.

“Halley!”

“And then they learn to talk and it all goes to hell from there.” Cathy said with a triumph smile. “Almost won us over, I’ll give you that but the answers still no.”

“Fine!” Walburga snapped as she marched put of the kitchen. “Where’s Halley? I want to spend as much time with my granddaughter before she grows up and becomes as heartless as the two of you!”

“Oh dear.” Orion held his wife’s hand as she pushed her face against his chest to hide how embarrassed she felt watching her future self.

“It’s lovely you came over, Mother.” Regulus said. He turned over to Cathy. “You were about to tell me about you and Thomas Riddle?”

“Later.” Cathy said. “Kids! Dinner’s ready!”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

319K 8.3K 21
Mᴄᴜ x Hᴘ Sɪʀɪᴜs ʙʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴅᴀᴜɢʜᴛᴇʀ ᴍᴏᴠɪᴇꜱ: ᴀᴠᴇɴɢᴇʀꜱ ᴀꜱꜱᴇᴍʙʟᴇ- completed ᴄᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ ᴀᴍᴇʀɪᴄᴀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴏʟᴅɪᴇʀ - writing ᴀᴠᴇɴɢᴇʀꜱ ᴀɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴜʟᴛʀᴏɴ - x ᴄᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ ᴀ...
3.7M 112K 73
- UNEDITED The Boy Who Lived, The Chosen One, Harry James Potter. When Harry discovered that Sirius Black was his legal guardian, his life was flippe...
367K 9.5K 123
♛𝘙𝘦𝘨𝘶𝘭𝘶𝘴 𝘉𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬♛ ✧Marauders Era ✧ "..𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞, 𝐲𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫" - Tom...
54.2K 1.9K 47
You and Bella met as students and grew close until something broke you away from eachother. Will you meet again? All characters belong to J K Rowlin...