Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 27

195 7 5
By arlenerae

Past - 10

Elysia's POV:

It was Ares...!

"Come, sit, Elysia!" Mr. Mitchell gestured to the seat next to Ares, breaking me out of my trance.

I released a breath I hadn't realized I was holding, my heart still racing from the surprise. Ares shifted his focus back to Mr. Mitchell, seemingly disinterested in my presence. With a pounding heart, I sat down in the seat next to him.

"Elysia, meet Ares Simon Knight. He's the star student of Year 12, your senior, and an ace in all mathematics subjects," Mr. Mitchell introduced, offering a warm smile as he pointed at Ares.

Of course, I knew that. Ares was the reason I had developed a love for mathematics. I wasn't just his self-proclaimed stalker; I had gone to great lengths to learn about his likes, dislikes, hobbies, and everything that made him happy.

But I couldn't possibly say that out loud now, could I? So, I kept my gaze fixed on Mr. Mitchell, not daring to face Ares. However, I had to acknowledge Ares since Mr. Mitchell was introducing us.

Clutching my uniform nervously and trying my best to steady my trembling hands, I turned my head to face Ares.

"N-nice to meet you," I stammered, unable to meet his eyes. I immediately shifted my gaze ahead, expecting Mr. Mitchell to continue.

"Same," came Ares's short and rather chilly reply before he, too, turned his attention back to Mr. Mitchell.

"So, you must be wondering why I called you here," Mr. Mitchell addressed me. I nodded, looking at him expectantly.

"As you both already know, in two months, we have the official competition season starting, and our school always participates in both regional and national academic competitions, including mathematics. I select the students from our school to participate in the mathematics competition," he explained, providing all the necessary details as I listened attentively.

"Now, the issue at hand is that every year, Ares participates in the contest and secures victories for our school. However, this year, we face a dilemma." Mr. Mitchell intertwined his fingers on the table, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"This year, the school's sports competition and the national academic contest have conflicting dates. Since Ares is a key player on the basketball team, there's a scheduling conflict."

I sat there, trying to piece together how this concerned me. I wasn't involved in sports, and I had never participated in academic contests before.

"In short, Ares won't be able to participate in this year's mathematics competition. So, I've decided that you will represent our school in his place," Mr. Mitchell stated, directing his words at me.

"Me?" I pointed to myself, blinking repeatedly. I was proficient in mathematics, but I had never competed before. Moreover, the idea of contests, crowds, and competition made me anxious.

"Yes, you," Mr. Mitchell confirmed.

"But, sir, I... I've never participated before—" I began to reason, but Mr. Mitchell interrupted me by raising his hand.

"I understand your concern, which is why I called him here," he motioned toward Ares.

My eyes widened, and I glanced between Mr. Mitchell's hand and the person sitting next to me. Ares didn't seem surprised at all; his expression remained neutral as he listened to Mr. Mitchell.

"Ares will be your mentor and guide, helping you understand the rules and prepare for the competition," Mr. Mitchell revealed, dropping the bombshell.

Shocked? That word hardly covered what I felt at that moment. I stared at Ares openly, my lips parted and my mouth agape. After a brief glance in my direction, he returned his attention to Mr. Mitchell.

"I'll leave the rest to you, Ares. Explain everything to her, including the rules and what's expected," Mr. Mitchell instructed.

"Yes, sir!" Ares nodded in understanding.

"Alright, please do this favor for me. I'll go and inform the principal about everything," Mr. Mitchell said, talking as though I weren't even in the room.

Ares agreed to the task, and as they continued their conversation, my gaze continued to shift blankly between them. I sat there, feeling numb, my mouth opening and closing as I struggled to find words. Once Mr. Mitchell left, I sensed a pair of eyes fixated on the side of my head.

Summoning some courage, I turned to look at Ares and found him already watching me.

Cough!

Cough!

Meeting his gaze again, I felt as if something had lodged in my throat, causing me to cough involuntarily.

"Are you okay?" Ares asked with genuine concern, quickly pouring a glass of water and placing it in front of me.

"I...I am, thank you," I stammered, immediately reaching for the glass and gulping down its contents without hesitation.

"Slow down, you'll choke," Ares cautioned, speaking casually as he resumed his seat beside me.

I placed the glass back on the table and straightened myself, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and gratitude.

"Top student, huh?" His voice reached my ears.

"Well..." I smiled awkwardly, unsure of how to respond to his compliment.

"So, we should decide when and where to meet for our study sessions," Ares suggested, reaching for a notepad and a pen from the table.

I turned toward him, a bit puzzled. He began to jot down something. My eyes drifted from his hands to his face, hesitantly taking in the view.

The overhead light cast a gentle glow on his features. His long lashes created shadows on his high cheekbones, and his light brown eyes remained fixed on the paper in front of him. I couldn't believe that I was seeing him so close. I had spent countless hours observing him from a distance, but never did I imagine he would be sitting right beside me. My eyes softened as I stared at his exquisite features, and a smile naturally graced my lips. He was, without a doubt, the most beautiful creation I had ever laid eyes on.

Watching someone you admired up close was an entirely different experience. I felt a strange, ticklish sensation in my chest, as if I might melt away just by gazing at him. I wished I could savor this moment indefinitely.

My reverie abruptly ended when Ares glanced up at me, setting the pen aside and tearing a small note from the pad. With lightning speed, I shifted my gaze away, my eyes widening with embarrassment, and my heart raced wildly. I looked anywhere but at him, overwhelmed by shame.

Had he noticed me?

"Here, this is my weekly class schedule," he said, sliding the note onto the desk in front of me. I slowly turned my head to examine the small piece of paper, my eyes fixed on it as if it held the key to untold treasures.

"We can decide when to meet based on the free periods in both our schedules. I have free periods on Tuesday and Friday. Alternatively, we can study after regular school hours since I have an extra class that I can skip," he suggested.

"Whenever is convenient for you," I replied quickly, not bothering to think it through.

"Take your time to check your schedule, and we can find a mutually agreeable time. I'll write my number here, is that alright with you?" Ares asked.

I felt his eyes on me, and I hesitated for a moment before briefly glancing at him. Our eyes met for a second before I quickly averted my gaze, nodding vigorously. "Y-Yes!" I stammered.

"Alright, here it is," he jotted down his number on the pad and handed it to me.

"Thank you," I said, taking the note from him. I felt a faint brush of his fingers against mine, sending a jolt of electricity through my entire body.

"By the way, are you feeling alright?" Ares inquired, his voice laced with confusion.

"Huh?" I turned to look at him, wondering why he was asking.

As soon as our gazes locked, I noticed that he was staring at me with an intrigued and puzzled expression. I couldn't hold his gaze and quickly looked away.

What's wrong with me?

"I mean, are you running a fever? Your cheeks are..." he trailed off, tapping his own cheeks and then pointing at mine.

My eyes widened, and my hands instinctively moved to cover my flushed cheeks. I inwardly cursed my sensitive skin.

"I, um, I... I have sensitive skin. It happens whenever I rub it or if it gets scratched," I blurted out, improvising an explanation.

"Oh, alright," he replied, nodding in understanding.

I stood up immediately, carefully tucking the note he had given me into my pocket. Ares also rose to his feet, towering over me.

"We'll...meet later, then?" I said, although it came out sounding more like a question.

"Hm-hm, sure!" Ares nodded, slipping his hands into his pants pockets.

I quickly turned around and walked towards the office door, cursing myself inwardly for making a fool of myself in front of him. I discreetly looked at him through the corner of my eye while walking straight ahead when he suddenly exclaimed.

"Careful," a hand reached out from behind me, covering my forehead just as my head was about to collide with the door. Instead, Ares' hand prevented the impact.

My eyes widened, and I almost stopped breathing because Ares' hand was on my forehead, and he was right behind me. The warmth of his hand sent a whirlwind of emotions through my body, leaving me speechless.

"Be careful while walking; you could hurt yourself," he spoke, removing his hand from my forehead. His deep voice was softer this time, sending shivers down my spine.

"T-thank you, I'll be careful," I said quickly and pushed the door to open. 'Let's just get out of here, Ely, there's still a shred of my pride left in front of him. Let's leave before I completely embarrass myself,' I thought to myself.

But to my dismay, the door seemed stuck and refused to open.

'Great, this door just had to get stuck now,' I thought, offering an awkward smile as I glanced back at Ares and tried to open the door again.

"Wait, let me," Ares offered when the door refused to budge. I stepped aside without saying a word, allowing him to take charge.

Ares stepped forward and effortlessly PULLED the door open, gesturing for me to go out first. My mouth hung open in humiliation as I looked at him in disbelief.

IT WAS A PULL DOOR, NOT A PUSH DOOR!!!

His lips were pressed into a thin line, clearly trying to suppress a smile, but I could see his lips twitch a little. His eyes held an unmistakable amusement that made me wish I could hide behind the nearest wall. I dropped my head in embarrassment, murmuring a quick "Thank you" as I hurried out of the office.

Ares followed me out, closing the door behind him.

"Elysia," he called out.

"Yes?" I replied, turning around.

"I hope we work well together," Ares said, extending his hand for a handshake.

Was I in a dream?

Shielded from his view, I discreetly wiped my hand on my school uniform and shook his outstretched hand with my slightly trembling one.

Ares left after our handshake, but my gaze remained fixed on my hand, lost in a daze.

"I'm not washing this hand!!!" I declared to myself.

**************

That night, I sat on my bed, staring at my right hand, a wide smile plastered on my face.

"I hope we work well together," I imitated Ares' tone and voice, extending my hand just like he did.

"Yikes!!" I jumped on my bed excitedly, replaying the scene in my mind for the nth time that day, and buried my head in my pillow.

For the whole day, I kept staring at my hand like a fool, refusing to wash it.

I picked up my phone and opened my contacts. Ares' name was saved at the top of the list.

It wasn't just a dream... This was proof of our conversation.

I had to write this moment down in my diary. Making a decision, I quickly sat up on the bed and looked for my diary on my bedside table and in its drawers.

Huh?

Where is it?

My smile froze as I remembered I had accidentally brought my diary to school that day. It must be in my bag.

I rushed to my bag and opened it, taking out all the books. The more books I withdrew, the more frantic my movements became, raking through my bag and emptying it on the floor.

I couldn't find it!

I COULDN'T FIND MY DIARY!!!

I covered my mouth in astonishment, realizing I had lost it in school.

It can't be!

I had so many personal things written there, literally every personal thing and feelings...

What if someone found it and read through it?

I entwined my hands in my hair, holding my head in between, breathing heavily, and stared at the wall blankly.

The next day, I arrived at school an hour early, searching everywhere—our classroom, my seat, under the tables and chairs, on the floor, in the corridors. I retraced every step from the day before, but my diary remained elusive.

I had lost my diary!

Running my hand through my hair in frustration, I sat on a bench in the shared courtyard.

What do I do now?

Throughout the day, I was paranoid, watching every student, scrutinizing their books, practically ogling at them randomly. I probably looked like a psycho to them, but it was a matter of my pride; I had to find my diary.

There was nothing on my mind except retrieving my diary.

Deciding to search for it again during our free period, I walked along the corridors on the first floor, searching everywhere, but to no avail.

When I coincidentally spotted Aubrey sitting alone on one of the benches in the shared courtyard, my eyebrows furrowed. She looked genuinely sad and upset.

What kind of friend was I?

I had been so preoccupied searching for my diary that I hadn't noticed her unusual demeanor.

Why was she so sad?

An idea suddenly came to me, and I hurried back to the cafeteria. I bought chocolate ice cream for Aubrey and strawberry ice cream for myself, then made my way to the courtyard where she sat.

"Hey," I greeted her as I settled down on the bench beside her.

"Oh, hey, Ely!" Aubrey turned to me, a surprised expression briefly crossing her face before she forced a smile.

I offered her the ice cream. "Ice cream always helps chase the sadness away, you know," I said with a playful wiggle of my eyebrows.

A small chuckle escaped her lips. "Really?" She asked, taking the ice cream from me. I smudged a little amount of ice cream on her nose, earning a gasp from her.

She gawked at me, mouth opened in a small "o" before she swiftly smudged some of ice cream on my nose as well.

We both looked at each other, before we burst out laughing, pointing at each other's noses. We both looked funny with ice cream on our faces.

"...Thank you," Aubrey smiled, after we ate our ice creams.

"You can share anything with me, you know that, right?" I smiled back, holding her hand and assured her that I was there if she needed me.

She nodded, smiling at me and held my hand. "My parents...they arranged my marriage to someone years ago," Aubrey spoke, taking a deep breath.

"I was told that he was meant to be mine and that one day, we would marry each other in the future. For everyone, it's just a way to expand business, a marriage of convenience," my eyes widened slightly at her words.

She was arranged to marry someone because of business?

"For me, he was the only man I always imagined living my life with. The only man I want to be with. The only man I ever loved." Her eyes turned somber, staring into the distance.

"We were engaged for years but he refused to accept me, refused to marry me and even told me that he hated me." She muttered, lowering her gaze and wiped the tears from her cheeks. My heart goes out to her as I quickly hugged her, patting her back.

What a jerk!

"Everything is going to be alright!" I muttered softly. "It's his loss if he lose someone who loves him so dearly." Aubrey's arms wrapped around my back as she laid her head on my shoulder. A soft chuckle escaped her lips at my words. "You really think so?" She asked.

"Mm-hm, of course," I stroke her head, trying to provide comfort.

"You'll stay with me, right?" She asked again.

"I will," I assured.

"You'll always be my side when I need you, right?" She repeated, tightening her hold.

"I will, Aubrey, I promise," I let go of her, looking into her eyes and answered.

"Promises are meant to be broken, Ely!" She spoke, her voice low.

"...No, promises are meant to be kept, Aubrey. That's the reason they exist. I promise to stay by your side in hard times, when you need me," I corrected her, patting her hand.

"I, also promise to stay by your side in difficult times," Aubrey smiled, squeezing my hand gently. A bright smile appeared on my face at her promise.

Just then the bell chimed, indicating the end of free period. "Let's go," I took her hand and we both walked back to our class.

"Ely," Aubrey suddenly spoke on our way back.

"Hm?" I looked at her.

"We should fight for the one we love until the end, right?" She looked into my eyes and asked.

"...yes, we should," I answered honestly.

A wide smile broke onto her lips, making me relieved to see that she was okay now.

When the school ended, I decided to look for my diary once again, hoping I would find it this time. I wouldn't be able to sleep again if I failed to find it. I didn't sleep a wink last night, thinking about the possibility of someone reading my diary.

I traced along the corridors of school once more, searching the floor, when a familiar deep voice sounded behind me.

"Looking for this?" My eyes almost popped out, turning around to see Sven holding my diary in his hand.

He raised his eyebrows, questioningly as a smirk appeared on his face, watching my reaction with interest.

****************

Hey, lovelies! I have a good news for you all. I have decided a schedule for the story. From now on, I will post new chapter on every Tuesday and Fridays. ♥️

Next chapter on Tuesday!

Share your thoughts about today's chapter, what do you think about Aubrey in this chapter and who do you think she is in love with?🤗

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
637 21 20
Avalon Apollo always wanted to pursue a career in the art industry; however, bad habits and free range was always her downfall. Attending her first y...
808 22 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
235K 5.9K 39
UNEDITED |Freya Livingston| has always liked being alone it's not that nobody wanted to be her friend it's more that she didn't want to be bothered...