BEGIN BEFORE THE END | WTM |...

By Rifter29

Follow the story of Cathy Potter as she and the entire school of Hogwarts sees what their future has in store... More

DISCLAIMER
BEGIN BEFORE THE END
ACT 1
PROLOGUE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
ACT 2
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
ACT 3
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64

9

8.1K 298 67
By Rifter29

CHAPTER 9
|SECRETS REVEALED|

James Potter was walking down the streets of Godric’s Hollow with Lily Potter in arm at night toward the Potter house was the first opening scene. The night was cold as seen by the warm clothes that they wore but there was no evidence of rain or snow. As they walked silently Lily turn to James.

Lily, look it’s us.” James pointed.

“Yes, yes.” Lily nodded.

“Are you alright, James?” She asked.

“Hmm? Oh yeah.” James replied.

“Thinking about your sister?”

“I just don’t understand how any of this is happening.” James said. “How could she switch sides to join the Dark Lord.”

“Oh, I think this is where we’ll find out about what Cathy’s been up to.” Remus said.

“We don’t know that she did.” Lily said.

“She’s working with the Black family.” James reminded her. “Sort of makes that hard to argue.” Lily stopped walking in the street and James stopped as well to face her. “What? What is it?”

Lily looked slightly guilty. “There’s something I have to tell you.”

“Oh, no.” Cathy said.

“What is it?”

“Remember earlier you said that Cathy couldn’t have worked with Regulus Black? You know because they don’t know each other?” James nodded. “That’s not entirely true.” 

“What do you mean?” James questioned.

“They were friends.” Lily stated.

“Who were?”

“Cathy and Regulus.” Lily said.

“What?” James, Sirius, Remus and Peter said at the same time.

“What?” James looked shocked. “How? How do you know this?”

Lily looked down at the pavement. “I know because the four of us use to hang out.”

“The four of us?” James repeated.

“What is happening? James questioned looking to the four of them who all shrunk down into their seats.

“Yeah.” The red-haired witch confirmed. “Me and Severus and her and Regulus. We use to spent most of our holidays together.”

“Regulus, is this true?” Walburga questioned her son who didn’t answer her.

“Catherine?” Euphemia called out to her daughter who didn’t respond.

“How?” James sputtered. “How on earth could the four of you know each other?”

“Well, you already know that Severus and I use to live on the same street, right?” Lily asked and James responded with a nod. “Do you know what Cathy usually did on her holidays?”

“She used to spend time in the cinemas that are in the muggle world.” James said. “She went every day.” James watched Lily expression and realized what she was getting at. “She didn’t go to the cinemas every day, did she?”

“Excuse me?” Euphemia said.

“No.” Lily said. “She and Regulus met up one day and they sort of just hung out like me and Severus.”

“Wait. Wait then how did you and Snape--”

“The cinema that Cathy went to was near the place where my dad worked.” Lily said. “She and Regulus were coming back one day, I guess she took him to watch a movie and we all met.”

“So, what I hearing is, Cathy and Regulus Black have been friends for years and you knew about it.” James stated.

“Oh boy.” Lily whispered.

Oh no.” Regulus murmured.

“Oh god.” Severus murmured.

“Shit.” Cathy cursed.

“Yeah.” Lily said. “When we found out about Cathy, I knew I had to tell you but--“

“Why didn’t you?” James questioned. “Why didn’t you tell me about them? Why didn’t she?”

“Because of Regulus’ parents.” Lily said. “You know how hard they were on Sirius. He was just a boy when he and Cathy became friends. He didn’t want to go through what Sirius went through. If his parents found out that he was friends with a muggle-born and Cathy--”

“You mean if they found out that he was hanging out with a girl from a mudblood-loving family!’ James exclaimed. “You know what I can’t. Not right now.”

Lily looked hurt. “James--”

“So dramatic.” Sirius said,

“Lily I get why you kept this a secret but right now…I think I need some time to think.” James walked off living Lily looking hurt in the street.

Snow began to fall down and land all over Godric’s Hollow as James Potter walked into his home. He closed the door behind him and Lily left, apparating away.

James took off his coat and put it on a coat rack and was about to walk up the stairs when he noticed a smell coming from his kitchen. He walked slowly over to source of the smell and saw that the light in the kitchen were switched on.

James took out his wand and slowly peeked in from the hallway and saw that there were several plates set on the table and a large pot was placed in the middle. He walked in slowly and looked around. No one was nearby so he lifted the pot and steam came floating out. There was chicken soup in the pot.

A figure in an apron was out of focus standing behind James. The figure took a silent step closer and James was still unaware of the presence.

“Who’s that?”

“James.”

Immediately the Auror turned around and flicked his wand forward shooting a spell at the intruder. Cathy batted the spell away with ease.

“Hi.” Cathy smiled. “I was wondering when you’d show up.” She put her hands behind her back and untied the apron.

James looked at his sister dumbfounded as she took off the apron. “What?”

“You hungry?” Cathy asked as she folded the apron and put it away. “I made your favorite but you’re going to have to wait until the others arrive.”

James was staring at his sister in complete bewilderment. “I sorry what?” he said much louder.

“Oh, he’s in shock.” Remus said.

“Put the wand down, you might hurt someone.” Cathy said. There was a knock on the front door and Cathy looked to James who was still in shock and still pointing his wand at her. “I guess I’ll get the door then.” Cathy walked out of the kitchen and to the door. “Man, chivalry is dead.” She mumbled to herself.

“There is something seriously wrong with this girl.” A boy from Slytherin said.

James remained standing in the kitchen frozen. “What is happening?”

“Oh hey everyone come on in.” James heard Cathy cheerfully greet who he assumed were multiple people. “Just head over to the kitchen, it’s right at the end of the hall. I hope you’re hungry.”

“I am, thank you Catherine.” A woman said as she wiped her feet.

The first people to entire the kitchen was known other than Regulus Black and his mother Walburga and a man that James had never seen before. James immediately was on guard and pointed his wand at them.

“Marius?” Walburga gasped.

“Who?” Regulus asked.

“That’s your mothers’ brother.” Orion informed his sons.

“Hello, Potter.” Regulus greeted.

‘Put that wand down before you hurt someone.’ Walburga warned him.

“Walburga you seem to be healthy.” Orion noted.

“I told him the same thing but I think he’s still a little antsy, I suppose. Just ignore him for now.” Cathy shouted from the door. “Oh, good evening professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall.”

“Good evening, Ms. Potter.” The familiar aged voice replied in an unexpectantly friendly voice.

“Dumbledore?” James whispered.

Soon the old Hogwarts headmaster and his deputy headmaster entered the kitchen as well. “Good evening Mr. Potter, Mr. Black, Mrs. Black.”

“Good evening, Professor.” Regulus replied.

“Hey welcome, everyone, welcome.” Cathy continued to greet. “Reg, I’m guessing that the kitchen is starting to fill up?”

“You guessed right.” Regulus confirmed.

“Follow me into the dining room.” Cathy said to the new arrivals.

“I was told there’d be chicken soup?” Dumbledore asked.

“Um…” James looked at the pot and Dumbledore nodded.

“Ms. Potter may I serve myself?” Dumbledore asked. 

“Go ahead.” Cathy yelled. “Join us over here, would you? Does anyone else want to eat?”

 The other people shifted to the dining room as Dumbledore served himself a bowl.

“This is so weird.” Peter commented.

James put his wand down and walked into the dining room. Inside the room was, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Moody, Peter Pettigrew, Amelia Bones, Marlene McKinnon, Dorcas Meadows, Mary McDonald and Lily who was holding a box that house the puppy forms of Sirius and Remus.

“Dorcas, it’s us.” Mary said in a happy tone.

 Cathy walked past James and went to the table to serve out several bowls of the soup.

“Hey.” Lily greeted her boyfriend.

“What is happening?” James asked.

“I’m not sure.” Lily said. “Marlene got me and told me about coming here.”

Cathy came in with a tray that had five bowls of soup. She walked over to Moody, Shacklebolt and Mary who all accepted a bowl.

“Thank you.” Mary said.

Cathy walked over to the puppies and the two turned back into their full human forms.

“Finally, we’re back to our good-looking selves.” Sirius sighed with relief.

“You guys must be hungry.” Cathy said. The two wizards looked startled and incredibly confused. Remus and Sirius were hesitant but soon the two of them accepted the bowls. They sipped spoons at first and then began to eat eagerly.

“Can someone please tell me what the hell is happening.” James exclaimed.

“We are here to discuss your sisters alleged crimes.” Kingsley Shacklebolt revealed.

“Finally.” The Minister of Magic said.

“What do you mean alleged?” Remus asked. “She did all those things. She turned me and Sirius into dogs!”

“Yeah, sorry about that.” Cathy apologized.

“We’re are here to reveal everything.” Amelia said. “Firstly, we need to tell you about what we do at WPP.”

“You mean the secret taskforce that you run?” Moody asked as he sipped some soup. “Can I have some salt?” Cathy headed into the kitchen and came back with the salt.

“At least your manners have improved some.” Euphemia said.

“WPP stands for the Wizard Protection Program.” Amelia continued. “We are responsible for the relocation of wizards who are targeted by the Dark Lord and if necessary we also relocate their families.”

“How do you know who Voldemort targets?” Dumbledore asked.

“Catherine had a source who was imbedded into the Dark Lord’s inner circle.”

“And that is?” James asked.

Regulus cleared his throat. “That would be me.”

“What?” Bellatrix looked at her cousin feeling anger. “You betrayed the dark lord.”

“You have got to be kidding me.” Sirius complained.

“It’s true.” Cathy confirmed.

“You’re telling me that Regulus was a spy for us this entire time?” Sirius questioned.

“Yes…and no.” Cathy replied. “He switched sides and I helped him with conveying any relevant information he had.”

“Of course, you did.” James spoke up. “Because he was your friend, right?”

“He’s still feeling a bit bitter about that.” Severus said enjoying how petty James came across.

“What?” Remus and Peter said at the same time.

“Oh yeah.” James pointed between them. “They’re friends. They’ve been friends for years.”

“Before we invest anything into some emotional family drama let’s get back on point.” Shacklebolt said. He turned to Regulus. “You said that you switched sides. Why?”

“Because I found out that Voldemort killed my father.” Regulus revealed. Walburga looked sadden at the words her son said.

“What?” Orion Black exclaimed. “The Dark Lord kills me?”

“It’s a lie!” Bellatrix shouted.

“Silence!” Dumbledore ordered as everyone leaned in to catch every word that was going to be spoken.

“What are you talking about?” Sirius questioned. “Dad died from a heart attack.”

Regulus looked at Amelia Bones who gave Cathy a bunch of files that were in her bag. The files had the name ‘St. Mungo’s Hospital’ printed on them.

“It’s the things that she stole.” Peter noted.

“Show them.” Amelia instructed her.

Cathy opened each file and pulled out a sheet of paper from each of them. “Before Regulus, left school after sixth year--”

“You mean when he became a Deatheater.” James interrupted.

“I didn’t attend my seventh year?” Regulus enquired in dismay.

“Too bad.” Lily said.

“Lucky.” Cathy mumbled.

“Yeah.” Cathy sighed as she continued to place more sheets of paper on the table and everyone gathered around her. “He asked me to keep an eye on his parents if anything ever happened to him or them. When Orion Black died his death was nothing out of the ordinary. That is until I talked to Walburga.”

“Catherine visited me at the hospital every day.” Walburga said. “I told her about how most of my peers had passed away during the war. How we were otherwise healthy until all of a sudden we just fell ill and died.”

Cathy past some of the papers to the man that had come in with Regulus and Walburga. “I had Marius take a look at the medical records.”

“Who is Marius?” Mary asked.

“Isn’t that a type of minivan?” Sirius questioned.

“Actually, it’s a star.” The man spoke up. “The brightest star in the hydra constellation.”

“Who are you?” Marlene asked.

“I’m Marius.” The man introduced himself. “Marius Black.”

“Black?” Sirius raised his eyebrow.

“He’s my brother.” Walburga revealed. “The one who’s a squib.”

“That’s a nice way to introduce someone.” Sirius commented.

“Oh. Nice to meet you.” Sirius said.

“Likewise.”

“Marius is a doctor. We’ve been staying with him for the past few days.” Cathy informed them. “Tell them what you told me.”

“Well,” Marius cleared his throat, “the thing that all these people have in common is that they were healthy. No signs or previous symptoms of any disease but they all died from the sicknesses that they never had before.”

“So?” Peter asked.

“They all got sick and died at different times over the last five years.” Cathy continued. “It seemed random but they weren’t.”

“There was a pattern?” Lily asked.

“Yes.” Cathy nodded. “There was. Reg?”

Regulus rolled up his sleeve and showed the dark mark on his arm. “This was the pattern.”

“The dark mark.” People gasped and whispered at the sight of the tattoo.

“It’s his mark.”

Regulus rubbed his left arm and stared at the tattooed one he would soon have if the future played out the same way.

Everyone was silent and looked at the tattoo. “I don’t get it.” Sirius said.

“The pattern isn’t with the people who died, it’s with their children.” Cathy said. “Every Deatheater who had the mark given to them had their parents die within the year. First the fathers die and then in a few months their mothers pass away.”

“Impossible.” Bellatrix spat.

Andromeda and Narcissa however thought back to how their father who was hospitalized due to a heart condition no one knew he had. The two of them looked at each other and then at their sister who was just staring at the screen in anger.

Dumbledore took a closer look at the dark mark. “Do you have any proof of this?”

“The ink is cursed.” Cathy explained.

“When Voldemort gives someone his mark he makes a big ceremony out of it.” Walburga said. “The parents are seated next to the dark lord himself and are given a special drink.”

“It’s laced with a magical version of thallium.” Cathy informed them.

“Thallium?” James asked.

“What is that?” Remus wondered.

“A slow acting poison.” Marius explained. “It’s what made everyone of these people sick and die. But some of them, like Walburga, were able to recover some.”

“That’s why you were at St. Mungo’s?” Sirius asked. Walburga nodded and Sirius turned to Cathy. “Then why did you take her out?”

“Because she was still being poisoned.” Cathy said. “Walburga wasn’t getting any better so I took some of her blood to Marius who tested it and found that someone was still giving her thallium.”

“What?” Walburga looked scared and angry at the same time.

“That’s why you made the entire hospital think she was still a patient there.” Marlene realized.

“Yeah.” Cathy said. “Voldemort had people in St Mungo’s killing the people he didn’t manage to kill off.”

“Oh, my goodness.” Narcissa said thinking about her father.

“And when our parents died,” Regulus said, “the dark mark consumes all forms of good and happiness in their hearts.”

“Which would explain why some of Voldemort’s followers are so mental.” James nodded.

Several people looked to Bellatrix. Half in concern and the other half wondering if she would refute this. Everyone was surprised that she just sat silently while clutching her left arm.

“Okay I get most of that but,” Remus spoke, “why didn’t you just tell us all this?”

“We tried.” Regulus said. “When Catherine and I went to the Ministry I was arrested for murder.”

“You were a Deatheater.” James pointed out.

“I never killed anyone.” Regulus defended.

“He’s telling the truth.” Amelia said. “Someone in the Ministry invented the charges and I had Catherine break Regulus out of his holding facility.”

“The pieces are starting to fall into place.” Dumbledore noted.

“There’s more.” Cathy continued. “The person who had Regulus arrested worked in your department.”

“Ours?” Moody and Kingsley looked surprised.

“Who is it?” Dumbledore asked.

Cathy took out a folded piece of paper from her pocket and held it in her hand. “This has the names of everyone we know are working for Voldemort as well as those we strongly suspect might be.”

The ink of the paper darkened the other side, Kingsley Shacklebolt noted. “There must be at least a dozen names on that.”

“Give it here.” James said but Cathy still held onto it. “You want something.”

“Nothing in life is free.” Cathy smiled.

“What do you want?” Moody asked.

“We would like to be cleared of any and all crimes we may or may not have committed whilst evading the law.”

“That seems fair.” Fleamont nodded.

What!” James exclaimed. “There’s no way--"

“Done.” Moody agreed.

“Moody.”

“What choice do we have?” Moody said. “As much as I’d hate to admit it, we can’t waste any more resources on your sister and we can’t work to stop Voldemort if his followers are working right next to us.”

James agreed begrudgingly. Cathy handed over the paper. “Alright. Ms. Potter, Mr. and Mrs. Black, while your crimes are being cleared I’d like you all to please stay in hiding.”

“For how long?” Walburga asked.

“A week or so should suffice.” Moody said.

“Well than,” Regulus said, “I guess we’re done here?”

“That’s right.”

“Okay.” Cathy nodded. “Bye.”

As soon as she said it Cathy went got her coat, put it on and left the house with Regulus, Walburga and Marius. James and the others watched them leave from the window.

“That’s a very happy-go-lucky attitude you’ve got going on there, Potter.” Evan Rosier said.

“Thanks.”

“Wasn’t a compliement.”

“Are we sure about this?” Kingsley asked. “Albus, I took a look at that girls Auror file. She has an unusually large quantity of skills which makes her dangerous.”

“She does?” Euphemia enquired.

“And she over-powered you like it was nothing.” Professor McGonagall said. “Her abilities--”

“Chaos Magic.” Albus interrupted. “She used Chaos Magic.”

“He figured it out.”

“Of course, he did. He’s Dumbledore.”

Everyone thought to themselves silently. “But that would make Cathy--”

“Yes, Mr. Potter.” Albus interrupted. “That would make you sister a Chaos Castor.”

“I don’t buy Regulus’ story.” Sirius said. “How does ink that turned people evil, ink that worked on everyone else, not work on him.”

“Sounds like you want it to work on me.” Regulus said.

“Cursed ink affects the heart.” Professor McGonagall informed him. “It corrupts and twists a person’s from within.”

“And it just didn’t affect him?”

“On the contrary,” Albus said as he watched the four of them walk away, “because cursed ink affects one’s heart there only one way to be immune to its full effect.”

“Which is?”

“If that persons heart already belongs to someone else.” Albus said.

Everyone digested this information and watched as Regulus and Cathy walked next to each other. The two looked at each other and smiled before Walburga grabbed her brother and they all apparated away.

Everyone turned t o Regulus who looked down but they could still see that his ears had turned bright red. Cathy looked at the second son of House Black and smiled as she turned her attention back to the screen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 4.6K 35
When the second wizarding world war has just finished in 1998 the people of the future travel back to the time of their parents to try and change the...
386K 13K 87
~Where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry sets a Gryffindor apart~ What if there was another prophecy made? It talked about...
821K 20K 116
𝓛𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽 𝓤𝓹 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓴𝓷𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓜𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓲𝓪 𝓐𝓶𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪 𝓓𝓮 𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓵. The brightest and sweetest witch in her year. She could neve...
3.7M 112K 73
- UNEDITED The Boy Who Lived, The Chosen One, Harry James Potter. When Harry discovered that Sirius Black was his legal guardian, his life was flippe...