Waging War Book 4: Empty Peac...

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." A violent battle between AshClan and... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 22

166 13 8
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

Slateheart returned to camp with a bundle of prey in his jaws. Carrying it proudly over to the fresh-kill pile. He had caught two squirrels, two mice and a shrew. He was adjusting well to hunting with all the snow and now that the blizzards had passed, the prey was starting to come out of hiding.

He was back to catching the most on his patrol, thought it wasn't much competition with Dustfall, Skyfeather and Otterpaw. Patrols were still small, but Clan life was getting back to normal. He had also been thinking a lot about the gathering that happened three days ago.

He felt incredibly annoyed as SunClan's ignorance, especially Dawnstar. Though it was clear that Timberstar was starting to lean in favor of AshClan. He knew that eventually the other two Clans would start picking sides, remaining neutral was always a nice thought, but bias was bound to happen.

He really didn't care what MountainClan did, he barely thought about them since returning to the forest. He knew that Owlbreeze had left SunClan to be their medicine cat, but again he really didn't care what she or any of those other cats did. MountainClan was barely a Clan to begin with, he wasn't even sure they'd stick around for much longer. He was surprised to see them survive the blizzard, even more so that they had kits.

He didn't think too much more on MountainClan, all he cared about was his own Clan. He looked around the camp and saw it pretty bare as a lot of cats were out on patrol or hunting. He wasn't cold or tired, so he really didn't feel like settling down for the day. Stormheart was no where in sight so Slateheart decided to just head back out into the forest and do more hunting.

No cat stopped him as he ventured out into the snowy pine forest. He moved swiftly, trying to hunt in a area that he hadn't already been in, which was close to the SunClan border. He ran through thee trees, enjoying being active and getting his blood pumping.

He came to a stop as he caught the smell of squirrel. He tracked it down near the border and saw it digging through a snow drift. Slateheart wasted no time catching and killing the small creature. It was a scrawny one, but prey was prey. He breathed out a sigh and sniffed the air.

Between the scent of frost and the SunClan border, he could also smell nearby AshClan cats. He grumbled to himself, not wanting to be interrupted by his own Clanmates. He glanced over the SunClan border and for a moment, Blossomtail's face flashed in his mind.

He shook it away, not sure why he was thinking of her when he had barely done so recently. He saw her at the gathering, she had finally earned a warrior name, but he certainly wasn't going to talk to her. He did note that she did look stronger, her muscles were more well formed. Maybe she had actually taken his advice.

He once again shoved his thoughts away and ventured away from the SunClan border to continue his hunt. He tracked prey through the pine trees but came to a stop when he heard Stormheart's voice.

"What are you going to do?" Slateheart ducked down, he wasn't going to sit there and listen but then he heard Riverstar's voice.

"I'm not sure." Riverstar sighed. "I hate myself for letting the other leader's words get to me." There was irritation in her voice. "I don't want more cats to die, losing Graypelt was horrible, even if he never really was that close to me." The leader let out a sigh. "I think the best option is to try and talk to Violetstar."

Slateheart tensed, he didn't want AshClan being the ones to duck their heads and admit defeat, but he held his tongue.

"You think she'll listen?" Stormheart questioned. "She hasn't so far."

"I don't know." Riverstar replied. "If she does then maybe we can end this war now and if she doesn't...well then the other clans can't blame me for not being the peaceful one can they?"

Slateheart had to agree, SunClan seemed like they were doing their best to make it seem like Riverstar was the sole aggressor, but that wasn't the case. Slateheart turned away from the conversation and left without drawing any attention to himself. It seemed that Riverstar was going to talk to Violetstar, but he didn't see it going well.

SunClan clearly had their ideas of AshClan already, but they certainly weren't ones to be acting all high and mighty like they never killed another warrior. Slateheart's dead father was proof of that. He grumbled to himself and kept hunting, catching another squirrel before deciding to return to camp, not wanting to miss any important announcements.

He was starting to feel the cold just a bit, his paws aching as he stepped back into AshClan camp. He had been out of the camp since before sunhigh and hunting a lot. He had just about been all over the territory at least once. He sat down outside the warriors den and gave his paws a washing to warm them up.

Not long after he saw Riverstar and Stormheart returning. The leader's blue eyes were troubled yet determined as she headed towards the center of camp. Most cats had returned from their patrols, and they all seemed to notice Riverstar getting ready to make an announcement.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a Clan meeting!" The cats of AshClan instantly began gathering around her, eager to hear what she had to say. Slateheart already knew, but he didn't let it show. He sat near the back of the crowd, listening closely. "I have been discussing with Stormheart, and I have made the decision to go MoonClan and attempt to speak with Violetstar and put an end to this war."

"You really think that will work?" Lilyclaw questioned, her voice on edge. "They killed my brother...they're clearly not above taking lives."

"I'm not sure if it will or not." Riverstar mewed truthfully. "But frankly I am tired of the other Clans looking at me like I'm always the problem. So I see this ending one of two ways, Violetstar actually listens and we manage to come to some sort of agreement, or she doesn't listen and the war continuing is directly because of her, not me."

The cats of AshClan seemed uncertain, but they all trusted Riverstar. "When will you be going?" Harewhisker asked.

"Tomorrow, and I won't be going alone. I'll take a group of warriors with me, and the rest of the Clan will be hiding by the border in case it goes wrong and a fight breaks out." Slateheart perked his head up, hoping he'd be chosen to go the MoonClcan camp.

"The cats joining me in camp will be Stormheart, Lilyclaw, Harewhisker, Slateheart, Hailfeather and Russetpaw. Russetpaw will be there to run for help in the event MoonClan attacks us."

Slateheart flexed his claws, thrilled to be on the front lines and ready to fight more MoonClan cats. Maybe he'd see Brokenclaw and make his other eye match. "Get some rest, all of you." Riverstar told her warriors. "We leave at sunrise."

Slateheart woke at dawn the next morning, prepared to face MoonClan. He wasn't sure it would break into a fight, but a large part of him really hoped it would. He wanted the other Clans to see that MoonClan was the problem, they had been from the start.

Slateheart met up with the other cats attending, standing near Lilyclaw. He looked at Russetpaw and he seemed calm. He was certainly the bravest of his siblings, so it was understandable that he was the one chosen. Slateheart also noticed that Riverstar chose Graypelt's son as well as his sister, he wondered if she was trying to guilt MoonClan from killing their kin.

It didn't take long for the rest of the Clan to gather, the only ones staying back behind Sageheart and Dustfall to watch over Tetra and her kits. Even Blackstorm was coming, but he noticed a look of annoyance in the medicine cat's icy blue eyes. Slateheart shrugged it off, he could be annoyed all he want, this was the life he chose.

Once the Clan had gathered, Riverstar spoke up. "Let's head out." Slateheart feel in with the rest of the patrol and soon they set out into the snowy forest. His paws itched with anticipation, not knowing what would come of their journey. He didn't think Violetstar would back down, but he knew Riverstar thought the exact same thing.

They walked towards the SunClan border, trudging through the snow. He knew the backup patrol wouldn't be far behind, but they would stay hidden for now. The walk through the cold snow was long, they veered off the path of the SunClan border and turned into the gathering hollow so they could reach the MoonClan border.

They made pretty good time, arriving just before sunhigh. "Everyone keep your tongues to yourselves." Riverstar spoke, glancing over her shoulder. Slateheart couldn't help but notice her eyes lingered on him longer than anyone else, but he wasn't offended. He would keep his mouth shut for as long as he could, but he wouldn't take any disrespect. "We wait on the border."

At Riverstar's direction they stayed at the border, the tension was palpable. Slateheart had no idea what would happen when a MoonClan patrol encountered them, but he was prepared, ready to attack at a moment's notice.

They waited for several moments, luckily there were now cold winds and the sun was shining directly down onto them. At long last, Slateheart caught the scent of MoonClan and braced himself for the patrol.

"I smell AshClan." A hostile mew spoke from a distance away, it sounded like Swiftheart. Sure enough, the MoonClan patrol crested the hell. The only cats Slateheart cared to remember were Swiftheart and Shellstorm. Shellstorm met his gaze and instantly his blue eyes filled with rage, Slateheart made sure to match his energy.

"You sure have a lot of nerve just waltzing up to our border, Riverstar." Swiftheart said with a growl, lashing his tail. "What do you want?"

Riverstar stood tall, standing above the MoonClan deputy. "I'm here to talk, Swiftheart." She hissed the deputy's name. "I would appreciate it if you would escort us to Violetstar and maybe we can discuss this maturely." Riverstar mewed, glaring down at Swiftheart

"You? Discuss things maturely?" Shellstorm scoffed. "Not likely."

"I may not be your leader but it you would do well to show me some respect." Riverstar hissed at the young warrior.

"Don't speak to our warriors that way." Swiftheart lashed his tail. "Not if you actually want to speak with Violetstar." Riverstar turned her gaze away from Shellstorm and back to the deputy.

"Fine." Riverstar said, flicking her tail. "Just lead us to your camp."

"Very well." Swiftheart growled reluctantly. "But don't try anything." He added under his breath and the AshClan patrol crossed the border into MoonClan territory. The last time Slateheart had been here was the original battle that killed Shadowstar. He himself had been hurt pretty badly, a failure that he never intended to repeat.

Slateheart despised being on MoonClan territory, especially in the midst of leaf-bare. They had no trees to shield them from the wind and cold. He felt exposed, like he could be attacked at any moment. He didn't care how fast MoonClan cats were, he would never give up his sheltered forest.

The walk was long and filled with a very tense silence, but at long last they reached the MoonClan camp. Instantly every single MoonClan warrior was on alert, their claws extended and their teeth bared, fur rose up along their spines and each and every one of them was ready for a fight.

Slateheart spotted Leopardpaw and he gave her a taunting look. She didn't flinch away, she lashed her tail and Slateheart had to hold back a laugh. Clearly was more confident in the safety of her camp.

Swiftheart broke away from the patrol and hurried to what Slateheart assumed was Violetstar's den. The gray she-cat emerged moments later with anger burning in her purple-tinted eyes. Her gaze rested on Riverstar and her claws instantly began digging into the hollow floor. "You've always been bold, Riverstar." She growled as she stormed up to the AshClan patrol. "But I genuinely cannot figure out where find the audacity to just walk in like you think you're welcome here."

"I didn't walk in." Riverstar corrected her. "Your deputy escorted us in, he could've turned us away."

Violetstar let out a growl. "What do you want?" Her voice dripped venom, clearly full of hatred for Riverstar.

"I was hoping we could talk. Maybe come to some sort of agreement that doesn't involve me stepping down."

Violetstar was quiet for a moment. "I think we're well beyond talking. I told you what would happen."

"I don't know about you but I don't want any more cats to die!" Riverstar spat. "Don't forget one of your warriors killed Graypelt...and then you openly mocked us about it!"

"His death is on your paws, Riverstar!"

"I've apologized for killing Shadowstar! His life was not worth more than Graypelt's! You came into our camp. You attacked us while we were preparing for the blizzard. Your warrior killed him!" Riverstar and Violetstar faced each with with teeth bared and claws extended, the rest of the MoonClan warriors were getting ready for a fight as well, it was clear to Slateheart that they would not be talking today. He looked over at Russetpaw, making sure he was prepared to run for help.

Russetpaw gave him a determined nod, the apprentice didn't seem scared at all. Slateheart commended his bravery. "I am trying to resolve his." Riverstar mewed, trying once again to diffuse the situation. "But you are the one refusing to talk with me. You want to punish me? Fine! I'll accept my punishment but only if you punish Brokenclaw for killing my warrior!"

"Brokenclaw is in the medicine cat after losing an eye! He's faced his punishment." Violetstar roared and her gaze went past Riverstar, resting on Slateheart. "The same warrior who attempted to kill Leopardpshine!"

"I was never going to kill her." Slateheart scoffed. "I'm not a murderer." Riverstar looked at him, trying to silence him but Slateheart felt he had every right to defend himself. "Unlike Brokenclaw, I wasn't going to kill her. But he did kill someone and you're treating him like a kit with a thorn in his paw!" Slateheart stepped forward, just because she was a leader didn't mean he would ever back down. "He's a grown warrior! I knew you were too spineless to punish him so I did! Now he'll never forget what he did!"

Violetstar moved quickly, a blur of gray fur and suddenly Slateheart felt claws ripping down the side of his face, he stumbled backwards and hissed loudly. He could feel blood staining his fur, dripping down into his eye, causing him to keep it shut. She had just tried to give Slateheart a wound to match Brokenclaw's.

Riverstar instantly stood between Violetstar and Slateheart, letting out a low growl. "You dare attack my warriors like that?" She hissed. "You have the same emotional control as a kit!"

"Get out of my camp!" Violetstar roared, fury and rage filling her voice. "If I ever see another AshClan warrior near our border again my warriors will attack on sight!"

"I can't wait to tell all the other leaders about what you did here today." Riverstar said as she started to turn away. "Maybe they'll finally see you as the violent leader."

"AshClan cats are the violent ones!"

"Get out of our camp!"

"Violent brutes!"

Riverstar let out a low laugh, Slateheart had never seen his leader look so...calmly enraged. "Congratulations, Violetstar. You've officially ruined MoonClan's peaceful reputation."

"Get out!" She spat again. "Swiftheart! Take them out of our camp now."

****

The walk back to the border was a long one, the claw wounds on Slateheart's face burned in the cold but he kept his head high, ignoring the pain. He hated turning his back on Violetstar after she attacked him, but he wasn't going to fuel her ego and perpetuate the AshClan stereotype.

"Don't come back." Swiftheart hissed as they reached the border.

"You know, Swiftheart." Riverstar said as the AshClan cats walked over the border. "Is this really what Shadowstar would've wanted?" She looked down at the deputy. "Would he want a war started in his name?"

For just a split second, Slateheart could see a shadow of doubt in Swiftheart's eyes. "Just leave." He growled and led his patrol away.

Riverstar scoffed an turned away. "Let's go." She told her Clanmates and started walking back to their own territory.

"Did that go how you wanted it to..?" Stormheart questioned.

"It went exactly how I wanted it to." Riverstar replied. "Now the other Clans can't just blame me. I tried to talk and she attacked, and I didn't fight back. I was hoping she would attack me but," She looked over her shoulder at Slateheart. "I know Slateheart doesn't mind a few more scars, and I know he can handle it."

Slateheart puffed out his chest a bit, he was happy to take the blow to prove Riverstar;s point. "And thank you Slateheart, for not attacking in return. I know you wanted to, but if even you have more emotional control than Violetstar it definitely shows something about her.

"I'm not stupid." He retorted. "I know better...even if I did want to claw her muzzle off." He snorted.

"We did what we needed here today. Violetstar can't hide behind the peaceful stereotype forever. Soon the other Clans will see her for what she really is."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 222 37
A Warriors fanfiction that revolves around the lives of four young cats as they face all the obstacles brought before them in their world of the Clan...
134 6 14
ATTENTION!!!!!! THIS IS BOOK THREE!!!!!! GO READ WARRIORS: SNOW AND WARRIORS: WATER ON MY PAGE BEFORE THIS ONE!!!!!!! SPOILERS FOR BOTH OF THEM BELOW...
1.7K 32 29
This is a random idea I came up with while I was resting. What if the characters were all genderbent and if they had a mate, they swapped roles with...
16.1K 658 31
An Impossible Task... The travelling cats have been given their task, and it seems impossible. Owlpaw faces the challenge of convincing Sheer Mountai...