The Underworld Crown (Series)

By ActuallyLaura

Getting into Hell? Easy. Getting out? Not so much. When seventeen-year-old Serena Jennings reluctantly succu... More

The Underworld Crown (Book 1)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
The Underworld Trials (Book 2)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 26

22 4 0
By ActuallyLaura

The Underworld had been ruled by Hades for three millennia, and he wanted everyone to know it.

To celebrate Hades' anniversary as ruler of the Underworld, he was hosting a ball tonight that was supposed to be so magnificent that it put even Plutus' parties to shame, or so Erica had told me.

My stomach had dipped when she'd brought out lengths of various fabrics, posing them around the room while asking me what type of dress or colour I wanted to wear. Erica was so enthusiastic about creating a stunning gown that I'd faked my enthusiasm, pointing at one colour in random and hoping that she would like it. Erica had grinned wildly when I'd selected a dark emerald green satin, so I knew I'd made the right choice.

When I wasn't forced to stand still so Erica could measure every inch of my waistline or the length of my legs, I'd spent time with Alek training in the gym. Every muscle in my body cried out after each session, but he'd given me a cream which had helped ease the pain. Now, when I looked in the mirror, I was finally seeing the changes in my body. A few weeks ago, I was malnourished and frail, but a lot had changed in such a short period of time. I was eating plenty of healthy foods and exercising consistently, making the muscles on my arms, legs and stomach well defined.

I only wish my good health had been born under different circumstances.

In the last few days, I had also avoided the forest. Persephone said Hades had cleaned up the bodies there, but I didn't think I could go back there without imagining how close I'd come to death. The forest, which had once been the calming image of serenity and my escapism, was now a dark reminder of the tournament.

"Everyone is going to be staring at me tonight," I told Erica as she combed through my wet hair with a brush. "Just like they've been staring at me for the past couple of days."

She clicked her tongue. "That may be the case, but tonight they're going to be staring at you for a different reason," she said with a gleeful smile.

An hour later, she took a step back to appraise her work. Erica had styled my hair in a low bun and curled a few stray strands to fall around my face. She had also completed a nude makeup look with hints of gold in my eyeshadow and highlight, which she'd said would complement the dress. As soon as she pulled out the dress from my cupboard, I understood the hints of gold. Somehow, Erica had managed to design and create a stunning satin emerald dress. Its modest high neck was contrasted with a daringly open back and gold crystal embellishments. It was more on the risky side than I was used to, but suddenly I couldn't wait to see what it looked like on. Erica helped me slip into the dress and then finished the look with a pair of gold crystal earnings and equally dazzling shoes. When I stared at my reflection in the mirror, I barely recognised myself and knew Camilla would have been breaking out in a sweat if she saw me. Hell, even the low back caused me to blush.

Persephone insisted on escorting me to the ballroom. She met me at my bedroom door wearing an empire waist white gown with silver detailing and a glistening crown. Normally, I would have said wearing a crown was overkill, but she managed to pull it off just as usual.

The ballroom was a flurry of activity and dancing when we arrived. The large crystal chandelier cast glistening beams of light across the room, accented by the candles lining the walls and those used as decorations on the tables. The intimate lighting brought life to the various coloured outfits of all the guests. In all my time in the Underworld, I had never seen so much colour. Gowns in all forms of red, blue, purple and yellow embellished the dance floor. Erica had told me there would be plenty more people here tonight than merely those in the tournament, and that was abundantly clear from one glance of the room.

In the centre of it all, Hades stood tall while talking to a group of men and women, dressed in a full white suit. I imagined accidentally tripping and spilling red wine over his pristine outfit, and a small smile tugged at my lips. Persephone brushed a hand along my elbow and gestured for me to follow her. I couldn't see anyone here that I recognised, so I followed her lead as she introduced me to several key stakeholders in the Underworld, all from the various cities. I played along as she paraded me around. I tirelessly explained on repeat how I was born and raised on Earth, and how, no, I didn't want to become the Underworld's next ruler. The reactions I received from my latter answer ranged from understanding, to shock, to pure and utter disbelief. Persephone was just about to introduce me to a man with a hooked nose and leering gaze when I decided to make my escape and excuse myself to get a refreshment. I should have expected, however, that none of the drinks would look familiar.

"Tired of being the exhibit for the night?" someone asked, making me jump.

Artemis leaned against the end of the drinks table, sipping a glass of something bubbly. She held up a glass in her other hand, offering it to me. Since Artemis was already halfway through her glass and still standing, I figured it must be safe for me to drink and accepted it.

"Tired is an understatement," I responded, sighing as I looked out at the crowd of men and women. "I wouldn't mind camouflaging in with the wall right now."

Artemis rolled her eyes. "You should take the attention while you have it."

I shot her a wry glance, wondering if I'd heard bitterness in her tone. "I would very quickly switch places with you if I could, you know."

"That would be a disaster. My red dress isn't really your colour."

I couldn't help but laugh. Fair enough. "How are you? I haven't seen you for a while." I hadn't seen her for days.

She lifted a shoulder. "I'm fine. I've been biding my time, plotting against the world," she joked, then her face turned solemn. "I saw what that Goddess of Gluttony did to your arm, by the way. I'm surprised you managed to stay alive long enough for Persephone to heal it. Your own powers must have similarly helped you pull through."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I hadn't actually spoken to any of the other competitors, besides Alek, about my powers before. "When did you see me?"

"I was walking in the hallway when half the castle bustled past to take you to your bedroom. I helped wrap up your wound. You bleed like crazy, by the way. It's a miracle you have any blood left in you."

God. "I was hoping not many people had seen me like that."

She shot me a wink. "Don't worry. I think your look tonight has made everyone forget about you how you were passed out in Alek's arms. Speaking of...I haven't seen him yet, have you?"

It took all of the restraint in my body to not turn around and look for him. "No, I haven't. I'm not sure if this event is even his type of thing." I couldn't imagine him in a tuxedo or suit.

"You're his type of thing, which means he'll be here," she said with a smirk. "He's certainly upped his protectiveness since the announcement of the second tournament."

Artemis mentioned the tournament flippantly, as if she held no concerns about the physical trial.

"Are you not worried about the physical trial at all?" I voiced.

Her gaze, which had always seen so much and missed so little, landed on mine. "I may not be the strongest or fastest in the room, but I know who my enemies are. I also know who the enemies of my enemies are, and that's a strength in itself."

I took a sip of my drink, feeling its bubbles warm my throat. "How so?"

She shrugged. "I'll let everyone's hatred for each other get them killed, and then I'll finish the task as the last one standing." She leaned in closely to whisper, "It's easiest to get others to do the work for you."

My mouth formed a thin line. "Are you really going to bet on that?"

"Sure I am. Look, do you see Lyssa over there?" Artemis gestured towards where the Goddess of Wrath stood alone in the corner of the room, glowering at Hades' positive reception. "Her desperation for power is abundantly clear. Her children are the exact same. They may appear as a strong front right now, but I guarantee you that they will be at each other's throats when the time is right."

A shiver moved down my spine at the gory imagery.

"Is that why you and your own siblings keep a distance from each other?" I asked.

Himeros chose that moment to appear in the ballroom, dressed in a deep purple suit that hugged his chest as though that fabric had been made for him, which it probably had. His hair shone in the candlelight as he headed straight for us. A wicked grin overtook his face as he took in my dress. His eyes lingered as he lightly grabbed my hand and placed his trademark kiss on my skin. Little bolts of electricity darted along my hand, and when he let go, I tried to shake out the startling sensation from behind my back.

"My, Princess, I have to say that green is certainly your colour. It suits you a lot better than when you wore the colour of your blood," he said smoothly.

I groaned. Did everyone have to see me passed out?

Himeros turned his gaze on Artemis, and his grin changed from wicked to pleasantly surprised. "Artemis, wow–"

Artemis tossed her hair behind her shoulder and glanced around the room as if the conversation was boring her. "Were you expecting anything less than?"

Himeros recovered smoothly and shot her a wide grin. "Of course not." He bowed deeply and with flair. "How about you do me the honour of a dance?"

When Artemis glanced back at me, it was with a twinkle in her eye. "I'll give you a test run," she told him smugly. "But I can't make any promises we'll make it through a full song."

"And I expect you'll be taking that back very shortly."

Himeros held out his arm and Artemis wrapped herself around it, letting him lead her to the dance floor. I used the moment of silence to finish my drink, smiling as Himeros whipped Artemis onto the dance floor and dipped her with exaggeration in his arms. I chuckled as Artemis – who was usually the portrait of poise – squealed in surprise.

"Are you enjoying the night?" Jackal asked, seemingly materialising out of nowhere. He'd shaved most of his beard, giving him a new look which he'd paired with a sleek dark blue suit. His hair was tied into a sleek bun at the nape of his neck.

I turned my eyes back to the dance floor. "It's been...interesting."

He followed my gaze and turned solemn. "I noticed Persephone introducing you to some of the Council members. How did it go?"

"It felt a lot like I was being introduced as the entertainment for the night. I don't see the value in being introduced to anyone. As soon as this tournament is over, I'm going to be out of here."

Jackal's eyes widened the slightest. "Out of here? Going where?"

"Back to Earth," I stated simply, even as Jackal's expression grew skeptical. "Hades promised me that I only needed to make it through the tournament, and I could return. I plan on holding him and Persephone to that promise."

"Ah," he said with a sigh. "Through the North Gate. So, you want to finish your original mission?"

"I'm hoping I can. I've still got family and friends on Earth who believe I'm missing, perhaps even dead. I'll do anything to return to them." I frowned as I remembered the upcoming test. That was going to be one big hurdle.

"Hmmm."

I cut my gaze to Jackal, who looked caught up in his own thoughts. "What?"

"Nothing," he lied.

I elbowed him and he laughed. "It sounds like you've got a lot more to say than just 'nothing'," I accused. When I pulled my elbow back as if to elbow him a second time, he caved with a smile.

"I just thought you might have wanted to stick around a little longer for...certain people."

"Certain people?" I prodded.

"Persephone – and others." He cleared his throat and avoided eye contact.

I searched the dance floor again, spying Persephone spinning around and around in the arms of Hades, and released a sigh. I hated to admit it, but the brightness in which they smiled at each other could have lit up the entire room. A pang hit my chest. "My mother has made it clear where her allegiances lie. I think I should be doing the same. Besides, haven't you ever wondered what Earth would be like? Aren't you curious to see it at all?"

"Strangely enough, I'm not entirely curious. I've been privileged enough to grow up in the lifestyle that I have, but I know that things could have been completely different had I been born into a different family and know there is a lot of work to be done. Saying that, though, I can also see the beauty in the Underworld. Some people think that beauty isn't worth saving – that we should just give up and let everyone succumb to evil. Yes, that beauty is small, and as rare as a rose, but it's there. The Underworld just needs the right gardener to tend to it." He glanced at my expression and scoffed. "I sound crazy, don't I?"

I couldn't hide my smile. "A little bit, yes."

"I don't blame you," he said with a grin. "But maybe one day you'll see what I see."

"I doubt it," I deadpanned.

Jackal released an infectious and deep, belly laugh that made me laugh myself. Then I fell into a hysterical fit of giggles. I had to brace a hand on my knee to stop myself from toppling over, which seemed to make Jackal laugh even more. He only just managed to set his glass down on the table before he spilled any of its contents.

"Something weird must have happened here because I know for a fact that Jackal isn't funny enough to make a joke that good," a new voice said, making me stand to attention.

When I spun around to face the new speaker, all of the air left my body. Alek stood casually only a metre away, his hands in his pant pockets. A lazy smile stretched across his full lips, and I froze when a glimmer of dimples appeared on both cheeks. He was dressed in a full-black suit with an open collar, the top buttons undone enough for me to get a good glimpse of the hard skin beneath. I released the breath caught at the back of my throat. Jackal and Himeros had nothing on Alek's appearance tonight.

Except Cleo was standing behind him in a sophisticated red gown, fiddling with a large rhinestone necklace perfectly positioned to draw attention to her curves. She laughed at Alek's joke and no sound had ever made me sober up more.

"My brother and a good sense of humour? How absurd," she commented, raking her gaze down my outfit. My short-term excitement faded fast.

"Ah, sister, don't be jealous merely because I inherited all the good traits in the family," Jackal taunted with a smirk. Cleo rolled her eyes in response.

While they bantered, I was heating up under Alek's intense gaze. His eyes glanced down over my dress before he could stop them and when he met my eyes, they seemed to drop back down of their own accord. My cheeks flamed red and I wrung my hands together, surprised by the intensity of his gaze. It felt as though he was seeing straight through me.

"Hey," he said to me.

I licked my lips. "Hey."

A thick silence descended on the group.

"Right," Jackal said, clapping his hands together. "Cleo, will you dance with me? I need to burn off some of this alcohol." Without waiting for her to agree, he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her onto the dance floor, leaving Alek and I alone.

To keep myself occupied and to stop myself from thinking about how good Alek looked in his suit, I sipped from my glass and watched the dancers spin on the dance floor. It would be easy to delude myself into thinking I was back on Earth if I kept watching the rhythmic way in which everyone moved across the floor, dancing as if students might at the school formal.

"Do you miss dancing?" he asked suddenly, drawing my attention again.

As soon as he asked that question, a hole in my heart cleaved open with the realisation that I really did miss dancing. It had been one of my main hobbies growing up, but it had been a long time since I had been able to fully embrace the feeling of freedom that came with moving my body to music. I smiled sadly and Alek plucked the wine glass from my hand and placed it on a nearby table.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he tugged my hands towards him.

"I'm taking you onto the dance floor."

"What? I shouldn't."

"Why not?" he asked seriously, pulling me with him until we were in the mass of the crowd. The music turned light and fun, sounding almost like a salsa. Without missing a beat, Alek flung me outwards and then snapped me back in so that our chests were pressed together. Leaning in close to my ear, he whispered, "Are you scared?"

Oh boy, was I scared.

But mostly because I wanted to wipe that smug smile from his lips and surprise him, I danced.

I should have realised that Alek would be a good dancer, since he was so graceful fighting and manoeuvring around his enemies, but it was still a shock to the system when he led me with ease through the dance floor. I gave myself over to the music as he led me with purpose in all directions, spinning me until I was giggling and dipping me so low that the world turned upside down. It was smooth and fast and fun, and for a moment I forgot where I was.

At one point I shot him an incredulous look. He simply shrugged and explained that he'd attended plenty of ballroom events in his lifetime, and part of that entailed growing up with partner dancing lessons. When I started to tease him about his eight-year-old self learning the two-step, he spun me out and then caught me again so that I lost track of my line of thought.

Just as I thought I might need to step away for a breather, the musicians slowed the pace and began playing a more classical piece. I looked to Alek to ask if he wanted to step away from the dance floor, but he had already eased my arms around his neck and placed his hands on my lower back, his fingers spread and pressing lightly against my bare skin. Our chests were flush up against each other, and his mouth only inches above mine.

I was used to dancing with a partner, but this was intimacy on another level.

"Have I told you how absolutely stunning you look tonight?" Alek whispered, his lips grazing my ear. Goosebumps broke out along my neck.

I tried to stop myself from looking into his eyes, but the truth was I just wasn't that strong. His dark eyes penetrated into mine, seemingly taking in every small sweep of emotion that crossed my face.

"Do you ever wonder what your eye colour would be if you were on Earth?" I asked abruptly, mostly because I was curious but also because I needed to steer the conversation into safer territory.

Alek tilted his head slightly, thinking. "I haven't considered that before. Knowing me, though, it would be something brilliant."

"I was thinking more of a dumpster brown situation," I teased, to which he shot me a warning look.

"Hardly. A dumpster brown colour is more Jackal's style – but don't tell him I said that," he stated with mocking seriousness.

"My lips are sealed." I grinned and Alek's eyes darted to my smile. On instinct, I glanced at his own full lips and noticed how soft and inviting – no, no! I couldn't be thinking about how badly I wanted to kiss Alek right now.

I cleared my throat and looked beyond Alek's shoulder for a distraction. It didn't take me long to find one. On the opposite side of the room, Aergia and Lyssa were hunched over in a tense discussion. Nox stood beside Lyssa, staring straight at me. He had a vice-like grip on his drink, making his knuckles turn white as he possibly ruminated all the ways he wanted to kill me. I swallowed hard and avoided his gaze.

"Nox is definitely looking at me like he is plotting my murder," I murmured to Alek, who stiffened in front of me and pulled me closer.

"He won't get near you," he promised.

"Maybe not now, but he'll have plenty of time to try in the second tournament. Have you seen how fast he moves?"

Alek stopped dancing, pulling me to a halt. He raised my chin so that I was looking him in the eye. "Hey, Nox isn't going to hurt you. You have the advantage of surprise on your side."

I frowned. "Surprise?"

"Your powers. No one here knows what they look like, and that has given them plenty of time to underestimate you. On the other hand, you've seen Nox use his powers when fighting plenty of times in the boxing ring."

He did have a point.

"Besides, you won't be by yourself. I'll be with you. So will Jackal and Cleo. You could even ask Himeros if he wants to work with us," he added, though he didn't sound too pleased about Himeros joining the team. Just as I wasn't too sure about being on Cleo's side – If I had to work with her, my odds would be better trying to make it on my own.

"If you want to get me killed, then having Cleo on the same team is the guaranteed way to do it," I muttered.

Alek's eyebrows tightened together and I felt his grip on me still. "What do you mean?"

I scoffed and started to turn away from him, but he stopped me from leaving. My recurring headache was starting to make a reappearance again.

"Let me go, Alek," I said.

His lips thinned into a straight line and his eyes darkened. "No. Not until you explain what you meant about Cleo."

I sighed and looked upwards, searching for the right words to say. "Cleo and I are never going to be friends. Especially after what happened in Greed City, after you abandoned me."

Alek dropped my arm as if it had burned him. "Abandoned you?"

The people dancing closest glanced at us, and I lowered my voice. "How do you expect me to be friends with her after she handed me over to Hades?" I shook my head. "I don't even know why I've started talking to you again."

Shock and pain glimmered in Alek's eyes, and I had to look away to stop myself from tearing up as the pain returned to my chest. Suddenly exhausted by the long day and night on top of meeting countless of the Crown's advisors, I sighed. I gestured half-heartedly to where Himeros was now dancing with Cleo. He was moving his hands down her back and I knew electricity would be shooting off his fingers and flitting across her skin. I swallowed the lump in my throat and gestured towards them half-heartedly.

"I think you should go cut in and save Cleo. Himeros is nice, but he can get a bit carried away," I said, even though the idea of Alek and Cleo dancing together ripped my soul in two.

Without saying a word, Alek glanced between me and Cleo. He seemed to be fighting some inner battle. Whatever it was, I was no longer in the mood and walked away from the dance floor without saying goodbye.

On my way towards the exit, I passed by Artemis sipping from her drink. I could tell by the expression on her face that she had been watching us. Now she was practically purring at the drama unfolding. Our arms brushed as I passed her.

"Your boyfriend looks pretty dumbstruck," she commented, unable to hide the small lilt of her lips that meant she was entertained.

"He's not my boyfriend," I threw back, perhaps too harshly.

If the tingling at the base of my neck was anything to go buy, Alek's eyes were following me as I left the ballroom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 1K 55
The world as we know it is over. The governments are gone and the rest of humanity is living in fear of being next. After magic became exposed, along...
371 70 40
Gods and Dark Creatures Book 2 A breathtaking sequel to "Blessed by the Gods" Find out how Ciaran and Amaya's story continues. They fled from one ene...
2.5K 182 46
This is book 1 to the Underworld series. Once a century, a necromancer, known as a Summoner, is enslaved by the wealthiest families and used to keep...