Waging War Book 4: Empty Peac...

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." A violent battle between AshClan and... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 21

173 14 5
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

Leopardpaw raced through the snow, chasing the hare that attempted to escape her, but Leopardpaw was faster. Her golden paws caught the plump hare and she sank her claws into its flesh, dragging it to a stop and killing it quickly. "Great catch!" Her brother called, trotting happily up to her.

"Thank you!" She mewed happily, her heart still racing from the chase, just excited to feel like Clan life was normal again. The storms had passed and Ripplepaw had finally been cleared to return to his duties. She was happy to be back training with her brother.

The aftermath of the battle and the storm was also starting to ease up, the loss of Frostfire was still tragic and Brokenclaw was still recovering from his eye injury, but Clan life felt...normal.

Leopardpaw knew deep down that it wouldn't last long. There was still a war going on, and she knew that not the storm had passed; everything would be starting up again. However, for now she just wanted to enjoy her days an apprentice and hunting with her brother and best friend for now.

It was Ripplepaw's turn to hunt and she watched as her brother tracked through the snow, looking at him she never even could've guessed that he had been injured. His paws were light and his eyes focused.

This was the type of weather that MoonClan cats thrived in, there was a lot of snow but their light and agile bodies navigated it easily. Running across the snow banks to catch their prey. The cold didn't bother her now that the wind had stopped. It was perfect, and she was going to enjoy her happiness.

She watched as Ripplepaw tracked down and chased after a rabbit, not as fast as her, but just as nimble and agile. He caught easily and walked back proudly. "Good job!" She praised her brother the same way he had her.

She knew that Tallsong and Berryheart were nearby, hunting their own prey. The MoonClan warriors had been working hard on restocking their fresh-kill piles after the storm as well as getting back into normal patrol schedules. They hadn't detected any AshClan scents but most agreed that it was only a matter of time.

Leopardpaw and Ripplepaw kept hunting, she managed to catch a sparrow and Ripplepaw caught another hare before they heard Tallsong and Berryheart calling for them. "We should go meet up with them." Leopardpaw said to her brother before they gathered their prey and met up with their mentors.

"Great work." Berryheart said with a wave of her tail. "You two have been working hard these past few days getting back into your training. It feels like you don't even need us anymore!" She mewed playfully.

Leopardpaw laughed in amusement and she could tell Tallsong shared the same sentiment. "We should get back." She mewed with a slight yawn. "We've been hunting since sunrise and its nearly sunhigh. When the others agreed, they began running back to camp. Not in a rush, but just enjoying the ability to run. MoonClan cats hated being stuck in their dens more than any other Clan and she knew her Clanmates were losing their minds being trapped in their dens for as long as they were.

They reached the camp in no time at all and the two apprentices set their fresh-kill down on the newly formed pile which was getting quite full. Some cats had even started fishing again, though Leopardpaw still thought it was a bit too cold for that. She was very much looking forwards to newleaf thought when all the fish would be in abundance.

While she made sure the fresh-kill pile was neat, she spotted Shellstorm out of the corner of his eye. His speckled silver pelt catching the snow reflected sunlight as she watched him talk and laugh with his siblings. Now that they were back into their duties she had barely gotten to spend any time with him and her heart longed for him more than anything.

They both knew how they felt about each other, but they had agreed to not become mates until Leopardpaw earned her warrior name. She didn't want to rush it, but she also just wanted to be at his side more than anything. She thought about the night they shared during the storm constantly, despite the storm raging above their heads it had been one of the greatest days of her life.

"Quit staring at him." She felt Ripplepaw nudge her and instantly her pelt felt like it was on fire. "You look like a lovesick dove!"

"Quiet you!" She turned her back on Ripplepaw who just laughed.

"Leopardpaw's in looooove." He continued to tease her. "Did you two get all snuggly while you were stuck in the snow!"

"Hush!" Leopardpaw swiped playfully at her brother's muzzle. He fell to the ground and started fake whimpering.

"You've taken my nose clean off!" He said dramatically. "I have to spend another five moons in the medicine cat den!" He couldn't keep up the act much longer as the two of them delved into laughter.

As they laughed, Leopardpaw saw Tallfern and Berryheart leaving Violetstar's den with the leader behind them. She looked confused, not even noticing them going in there. "Did you see them go in there?" She nudged Ripplepaw to get his attention and he looked towards the den, shaking his head.

"Nope. I didn't even notice them walk away. What do you think they're talking about..? We didn't do anything wrong did we?"

"I don't think so, they were just praising us." She met Berryheart's gaze and it was warm and happy. She watched as Violetstar took her place at the Clan gathering spot.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a Clan meeting!" Her voice called out and Leopardpaw and Ripplepaw exchanged a very confused look.

"This can't be our warrior ceremony...can it? We haven't done our assessments."

"Just go." Ripplepaw gently head butted her towards the meeting are and she walked awkwardly over there, it was clear no one else in the Clan knew what was going on either. Ripplepaw and Leoarpdpaw sat down together and kept their eyes on Violetstar, both eager to see what she would say.

"I have called the Clan together because I have just spoken with Tallfern and Berryheart, they have told me that they both think Ripplepaw and Leopardpaw are ready to earn their warrior names."

Leopardpaw's eyes widened and her gaze snapped to Berryheart who looked ready to burst. She looked to her parents who shared the same look and finally at Shellstorm who met her gaze lovingly and very excited.

"Usually we have our apprentices do their assessments, but these two have a different situation. During the storm, Leopardpaw along with Shellstorm braved the blizzard to bring the Clan very important herbs which allowed us to save more cats. She fought fiercely in both battles against AshClan and she is a sweet and loyal warrior. Ripplepaw has been in the medicine cat den for a while due to his injury, but never lost his spirit and he helped Oneflight with treating the sick cats, despite not being a medicine cat he showed an incredible amount of knowledge and compassion for his Clanmates." Violetstar explained, she looked over the apprentices proudly.

"During this difficult time we need all the strong warriors we can get, and I fully believe that these two are exactly that. I know they will continue making this entire Clan proud." The leader rose to her paws and padded to the two apprentices who each stood to to face her. "I, Violetstar, leader of MoonClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained long and hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and i commend them to you as warriors in their turn."

Leopardpaw felt her breath catch in her throat but she forced herself to stay calm. She had been waiting for this moment, she had just hoped she would've been more prepared for it.

"Ripplepaw, Leopardpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend the Clan even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." Ripplepaw held his head high.

"I do." Despite the anxiety rising in her belly, Leopardpaw made sure her voice was clear and loud.

"Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior names. Ripplepaw, from this day forward you will be known as Ripplestem MoonClan honors your patience and resilience." Leopardpaw watched as her brother stepped forward and licked Violetstar's shoulder and she rested her muzzle on his head. Ripplestem stepped back, his green eyes gleaming and now it was Leopardpaw's turn, she took a deep breath and faced her leader.

"Leopardpaw, from this day forward you will be known as Leopardshine. MoonClan honors your loyalty and agility." Leopardshine's new name felt strange at first, but also felt perfect. She stepped forward and repeated the same ritual that her brother had done and stepped backwards.

"We are proud to welcome you both as full warriors of MoonClan!"

"Ripplestem! Leopardshine! Ripplestem! Leopardshine!" The Clan cheered their new names and the two of them were suddenly swarmed by Peachblossom and Breezetail.

"I'm so proud of you!" Peachblossom was highly emotional as she nuzzled all over her kits. "I never thought in my life I could feel this happy but I am. You're both going to be such amazing warriors!"

"You two have done wonderful things for this Clan." Breezetail nodded, nuzzling both of them. "You two are absolutely incredible warriors."

Leoapardshine also felt her emotions rising very quickly. "Thank you both, I'm so happy. I wasn't expecting it today but I'm really glad that it happened!" She looked at her brother lovingly. "I'm proud of you too!"

"And I'm proud of you." Ripplestem chuckled, nuzzling her cheek. "Just a few moments ago we were still acting like apprentices!"

"I don't think you'll ever grow up." She teased and he took a playful swipe at her the same way she did at him. She laughed with him for a while then caught Shellstorm's gaze. His blue eyes were soft and excited, it was clear he wanted to celebrate but was giving her time with her family.

She returned the look and finished celebrating with her family before she finally had a chance to break off from them and walk over to Shellstorm, her heart pounding in her chest. "Congratulations." He purred, his voice softer than honey. "Leopardshine is a very beautiful name, it fits you."

She felt her pelt burning and looked up at him. "Thank you so much." She said softly and took a step closer. "Guess I'm finally a warrior."

He leaned down and touched his muzzle to hers, purring loudly. She instantly felt sparks across her entire body as she returned the affection, feeling happiness fill her heart. "It'll be like when we were apprentices." He remarked. "We can hunt together, go on patrols together....I'm so excited."

"Me too." She mewed softly and looked into his eyes, they were a perfect shade of blue which was very quickly becoming her favorite shade of blue. "Everything feels so perfect."

In this moment with him she wasn't thinking about war, or snow, or death she was only thinking about Shellstorm, and how truly happy she felt being next to him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 222 37
A Warriors fanfiction that revolves around the lives of four young cats as they face all the obstacles brought before them in their world of the Clan...
16.1K 658 31
An Impossible Task... The travelling cats have been given their task, and it seems impossible. Owlpaw faces the challenge of convincing Sheer Mountai...
16.7K 504 24
The owl calls again... Owlkit's birth was unexpected, and her life almost ended before it began but despite the odds, she survived to become a SunCla...
848 80 16
~Note: I am no longer updating this book~ Amberkit thinks that her life as a kit is perfect. She has her mother and two sisters by her side, and her...