Life in Zora's Domain - Part...

By Andremoi_88

For anyone who wishes more about Mipha's and Link's life together, this story is a sequel to "Life in Zora's... More

Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility
Chapter 2 - Astra and Purah
Chapter 3 - Family Agreements
Chapter 4 - Astra Meets Zelda
Chapter 5 - Catching Up and Diving Down
Chapter 6 - Astra and the Master Sword
Chapter 7 - Motivations
Chapter 8 - Astra Visits Zora's Domain
Chapter 9 - The Right Answers
Chapter 10 - Astra's Day at Zora's Domain
Chapter 11 - Relaxing Rain
Chapter 12 - Astra Returns to Kakariko Village
Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?
Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village
Chapter 15 - Anxious Awaiting
Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala
Chapter 17 - A New Life
Chapter 18 - Astra Meets Jerrin
Chapter 19 - Welcome Home!
Chapter 20 - Astra meets Kass
Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town
Chapter 22 - Astra Meets Goron Chief Yun
Chapter 23 - Family Changes
Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins
Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares
Chapter 26 - Astra Gets a Scolding
Chapter 27 - Gossip
Chapter 28 - Like Father Like Daughter
Chapter 29 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Chapter 30 - Near and Far
Chapter 31 - Attack on the Yiga Clan
Chapter 32 - Childish Behavior
Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - Washing Away Regrets
Chapter 36 - Revisiting Riju
Chapter 37 - Astra Departs Gerudo Town
Chapter 38 - Coping with Change
Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends
Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta
Chapter 41 - Mipha's Diary Lost Pages
Chapter 42 - Ancient Energy Miracle
Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?
Chapter 44 - Spreading the News
Chapter 45 - Bonding and Memories
Chapter 46 - Moving On
Chapter 47 - Mushroom Memory
Chapter 48 - Small Decisions
Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala
Chapter 50 - Getting Acquainted
Chapter 51 - Memory and Princess Power
Chapter 52 - Bad Choices
Chapter 53 - Combat Training Plans
Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 56 - Getting Better Acquainted
Chapter 57 - Echolocation
Chapter 58 - Mood Swings
Chapter 59 - Just Desserts
Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra
Chapter 61 - Music of the Water

Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations

211 1 2
By Andremoi_88

Summary: Princess Zelda and Randall share their eleventh wedding anniversary. Tiray and Midon begin to get acquainted. Sidon pursues an interest in Arana, one of Tila's cousins from North Hyrule.

The morning sun filtered through the windows of Hyrule Castle, gently rousing Princess Zelda from her sleep. As her eyes fluttered open, she was greeted by the sight of her husband, Randall, already awake and by her side.

"Good morning," he said with a smile, looking into her eyes. "You have such beautiful eyes. They seem to shift with the light from emerald to sapphire and back again. I could get lost in them."

"And you're so sweet to wake up to," she replied as she leaned over to kiss him.

"Are you going to stay in bed with me or get up?" Randall asked after their kiss.

"I'd love to stay in bed with you, sweetheart," she answered. "But did you forget we're meeting with one of Horwell's tutors this morning about his progress? And considering the time, we should get up and get ready."

"Oh, you're right. Well, I may have forgotten that one thing, but I remembered something much more important. Allow me to give you something special," Randall murmured, opening the drawer of the bedside end table. From within, he produced a diamond pendant suspended on a delicate silver chain. "Happy Anniversary, sweetheart. Every moment with you and our son, Horwell, has been a treasure."

Zelda gasped at the sight of it and sat up next to him. "It's gorgeous! And Happy Anniversary to you, too! I was waiting to see if you remembered," she exclaimed.

They embraced and kissed before Randall continued, "Of course, I remembered! Let me help you put it on," as he secured the chain around her neck and fastened the clasp. "Now, your beauty makes the pendant look even better."

"I love it! And I love you - very much," she said as she ran her hand across his cheek. "But ... did we not agree last year when Mother arranged our tenth-anniversary party that we would not exchange anniversary gifts?"

"I clearly recall we discussed not exchanging gifts for our tenth anniversary, dearest. But I don't recall anything being said about our eleventh."

"Very clever! But you know very well it was clearly understood. Now I need to find a way to get back at you!"

"You always do, sweetheart," laughed Randall as they shared another kiss.

"But now we really must get up if there will be time for breakfast before our meeting," she added after a final kiss.

They both rose from the bed, freshened up, and dressed for the day. Then, crossing the hall to their ten-year-old son Horwell's bedroom, they peered in after pushing the door open without making any noise. He was still sound asleep, so they quickly closed it again.

"Let's let him sleep," whispered Zelda. "His first lesson is much later this morning, and he can have breakfast when he gets up, hopefully with Mother."

Randall nodded as they began to stroll down the corridor, hand-in-hand, courteously greeting any castle staff they encountered with a warm "good morning."

As they neared a corner, before turning, they faced one of the royal family portraits that hung in various castle locations. This particular artwork had been commissioned on the occasion of Princess Zelda's younger sister Astra's fifth birthday. That was over thirteen years ago and three years before the tragic assassination of her father, Rudin, by the Yiga Clan. What had once been a happy family of four was reduced to only two. Sensing the wave of emotions these family portraits sometimes stirred in Zelda, Randall gently tightened his grip on her hand. She glanced at him with a smile, gratitude shimmering in her eyes.

"You always know what's on my mind, don't you?" she said as they paused before the painting.

"I know how these paintings sometimes affect you," Randall murmured. "And I want to do what I can to help and remind you of how much you're loved."

"I remember sitting for this portrait," Zelda continued, her voice tinged with nostalgia as she began to reminisce.

It was early afternoon, and we were all full from lunch, including some royal fruitcake birthday cake. Given the fine sunny day, we posed for our portrait outside in the castle garden. It had just turned Fall a week before, and the garden was still partly in bloom. As you can see, the colorful flowerbeds form a decorative backdrop with my sister and I sitting in front of my parents. To ensure the session would go faster, the artist wisely pre-painted the background before we arrived to take our places. With her ever-present restlessness, Astra kept shifting position as the artist meticulously tried to capture our likenesses.

"Wouldn't it be easier to take a Tab picture, Sis? Then we could all get back to playing that much sooner," Astra whispered impatiently, her feet swinging occasionally.

"It's a family tradition, Astra," I whispered back. "Mother prefers to have a real painting - the way it was done when she was a child."

"But I can't sit still like this forever!"

"Shh! You have to, Astra! Don't ruin this precious moment that occurs only once a year. It's just for a little longer," I promised. "Look, if you behave, how about I tell you an extra bedtime story tonight?"

Astra pondered momentarily, then said, "I don't know, Sis. It's really hard to stay still for so long. But make it three extra stories, and you've got a deal."

"Three!? We'll be up all night, Astra! Okay, fine - three extra stories," I whispered back.

"Her mischievous grin right after I agreed made me suspect she had planned this whole negotiation from the start. Astra loved bedtime stories. And she had no problem sitting perfectly still for the rest of the painting."

Chuckling at the story, Randall remarked, "Astra was always sharp and utterly charming."

"She was! And on every wedding anniversary, she would playfully tease me. 'Go on, Sis. You can kiss Randall; I won't squeal on you. I'm still keeping my promise,' she'd say with a grin, alluding to the night she was looking out her bedroom window and caught us stealing some kisses during our dating days. Astra had a mischievous side, but we were very close."

Zelda paused for a moment, then continued.

"Life certainly has its highs and lows, doesn't it? Even amidst our many days of happiness, moments of sorrow sneak in. I wish Father could be here to celebrate these joyous times with us. Father thought very highly of you, Randall."

"He was a kind and loving person, treating me like his own son," Randall agreed. "But he made it clear to me from the day we got engaged that my job was the same as his: to love and do whatever I could to make the future Queen of Hyrule happy and successful. And that's what I've always tried my best to do."

"And you're doing splendidly, sweetheart."

"I know you miss your father and sister dearly," Randall said. "But they will always live on in our hearts. That's all we can do."

"Yes, and they very much do live on in my heart."

They resumed their walk, and when they reached the dining room, Queen Zelda was already there and greeted them with open arms.

"Good morning, and happy anniversary!" Zelda exclaimed as hugs were exchanged among them all. "I gather Horwell must still be sleeping?"

"Yes, we thought he could use the extra rest," said Princess Zelda. "If you're not too busy, Mother, I know he would love you to bring him to breakfast. And afterward, would you mind ensuring he's ready for his tutoring session? Randall and I have a meeting with one of his tutors right after we finish here."

"Am I too busy to spend time with my grandson? Not unless our kingdom is under attack," joked Zelda. "Don't worry, I'll take care of him. But that's a lovely pendant you're wearing, sweetheart."

"Indeed, thank you, Mother. This came from my beloved husband, who, I might add, deliberately ignored a royal pact in which we pledged not to exchange anniversary presents. I'm still thinking of a suitable punishment for his crime."

"I'm guilty of nothing more than my love for you, sweetheart!" Randall chuckled. "And if necessary, I'll plead insanity - being insanely in love."

"Very well," Queen Zelda laughed. "I'll leave it up to you, my dear daughter, to handle this awesome responsibility. Now, shall we eat?"

Meanwhile, Tiray and her sister Laray were having breakfast in North Hyrule.

"I notice you're sleeping much better, Ti," said Laray. "At first, you were very restless at night."

"No more nightmares," said Tiray. "At least not lately. I still can't remember many things, though."

"As you know, the doctor said it will take time. But he has hopes much of your memory will eventually return."

"By the way, Midon invited me to visit him at their domain any time I can," said Tiray. "I'd like to go see him."

"That's fine, Ti. I think it's good for you to get out and socialize, including meeting new people. Just take things slowly. And it would be best if you didn't travel there by yourself. The thought of you riding alone on a ferry ... well, I don't want to think about it. I can come with you."

"That's really not necessary," said Tiray. "What happened to me occurred when I was not in control of my mind. Midon did offer to come here and ride back with me, but that seems silly. If you're that worried, though, I have another idea. Let me check with Cousin Ti."

A moment later, Tila's Tab signaled an incoming call. It was from Tiray.

"Hey, Ti Ti!"

"Morning, Ti," said Tiray. "I hope I'm not interrupting your childcare duties or work."

"No, no, not at all," said TIla. "Tara is already in class, and Lanka is out with his father. I don't have any meetings with my sister until later this morning. I'm ashamed to admit that all I was doing was catching up on the latest gossip from Bab's Babble Bubble. What's on your mind?"

"I was wondering when you and your family planned to visit the Hyrule Domain next."

"We're always welcome there and can go any weekend. Why?" said Tila.

"Midon invited me to visit him, and I'd like to go, but my sister would feel better if I didn't travel alone. Her going with me would be awkward, but if you and your family were going anyway...," said Tiray.

"Yes, I understand, of course," said Tila. "Let's all plan on going this weekend, then. Just remember what we discussed about Midon, that he's coming off a painful breakup."

"Thanks, Ti! I will, and I appreciate it. Now, I can float away my sister's concerns. She's very protective!"

"And that's understandable after what she went through," said Tila. "Nobody took what happened to you harder than her. She was an emotional wreck for weeks. But tell Laray you can count on us to keep you safe. Ironically, I heard our cousin Arana is visiting Sidon this weekend, too. So, a lot of our family will be crowding their domain."

"Oh, great!" said Tiray. "It's nice to have so many cousins."

They ended the call, and then Tila Tabbed Linky.

Tila_NH: To:Link_NH::How about a visit to your family this weekend?

A moment later, the reply came.

Link_NH: To:Tila_NH::Of course! Will you let them know, or should I?

Tila_NH: To:Link_NH::I'll do it. And don't forget to wish Zelda and Randall a happy anniversary.

Later that morning, when Tila met with her older sister, Queen Faray, and the weekend topic arose, Faray insisted on arranging transport.

"Six of you on a ferry? Don't be ridiculous! With other passengers, you might not even all fit. I insist on a private boat," said Faray.

And so, the next weekend began with Arana, Tiray, Tila, Linky, Tara, and Lanka boarding a high-speed vessel in the morning.

"Tara, why don't you sit next to me with Lanka in the middle between us and help me hold onto him," said Linky. "He's a handful sometimes."

"Sure thing, Dad," said Tara, as Linky put Lanka between them and his other arm around Tara.

"Mom and I are very proud of you, Tara, how well you did in school this term," said Linky. "Among other talents, I think you inherited your Mom's math skills."

"Or maybe she coached me on how best to approach math problems," laughed Tara. "But thanks!"

Lanka reached out and hugged Tara, then settled back into his seat with his father's help.

"I think Lanka must understand us and is congratulating you, too," laughed Linky. "He often surprises me."

Tila sat on the seat across the aisle from Tara and exchanged a smile with her husband, while Arana sat next to Tiray.

"Be sure to hold onto Lanka tightly, sweetheart," said Tila. "He will have a young child's urge to dive into the water."

"Tara and I have got him," Linky assured her. "Even I can handle him out of water."

"Welcome," said the Sheikah boat captain as everyone settled into their seats. "It's an honor to transport so much royalty! The ride to the Spool Bight pier is a short one. Weather reports show the sea is calm, and we won't be going full speed. Still, everyone, please remain in your seats for safety."

With a nod to the first officer, the moorings were cleared, and they were underway, slowly gliding east along the channel that led to the Akkala Sea. Lanka was excited as he watched the water and the shore glide by, straining to get a better view.

"Is this your first trip to their domain, Tiray?" Arana asked. "I mean, aside from your rescue."

"My sister Laray said we visited once before, but it was while I was ... unwell. I don't remember any of that visit - at least not yet. How about you, Arana?"

"I've been there for a concert and dance," said Arana. "It's a beautiful location, and there's much to see. Their Luminous Stone architecture makes our home look a bit drab by comparison."

"I understand you're meeting with Prince Sidon?"

"Yes, we've been seeing each other occasionally," said Arana.

The boat passed the site of the Sheikah settlement, then continued until it cleared the channel and turned south into the Akkala Sea, picking up speed as it did so. Linky tightened his grip on Lanka, who was getting more excited looking at the rush of water.

"Was I like that too, so eager to dive into the water?" asked Tara.

"Every Zora child is," said Tila. "It's instinctual. You learn to control the urge as you get older."

Meanwhile, at the Spool Bight pier, Sidon, Midon, Mipha, and Link awaited the boat's arrival, Link with his arm around Mipha.

"Quite the welcoming committee!" joked Link. "I don't recall ever having so many family members together here to meet a boat."

"I think you're right, sweetheart," teased Mipha. "But you know ... when you start a sentence with 'I don't recall,' I think anything you say next could be true."

"Very funny. You never tire of teasing me about my memory, do you, dearest?" laughed Link as he pulled her closer. "I'm getting a complex about choosing my words carefully."

"Oh, well, forget what I said, then," said Mipha, making everyone laugh and Link shake his head.

"It's nice to see you being more sociable, dear brother," said Mipha as she turned to Sidon. "Father has been worried that you're too focused on work to have any social life."

"I guess I just had to get a few more years behind me," laughed Sidon. "But I think it's time. After all, I'm older than you were when you married Link, dear sister."

"Yes, but I rushed into marriage seeing how quickly my dear Link grew up," teased Mipha. "Had I known my dear husband would become a Zora...."

"Very funny again, sweetheart. You're in quite the mood," said Link. "You know Midon wouldn't even be here in that case."

"Yes, thank Nayru, you rushed, Mom," laughed Midon.

"I see the boat now," said Sidon excitedly.

Everyone waved as the boat glided toward the dock. Before it reached it, Tila turned back to speak with Tiray.

"You had better Tab Laray that you arrived safely, Ti Ti," said Tila.

"Oops, right!" said Tiray, who did as she asked.

The boat came to a stop, the first officer secured the moorings, and then all the passengers disembarked.

"Okay, it's grandparents' time," said Link as he and Mipha hugged and kissed Tara and then Lanka. Then they hugged Linky and Tila.

"Hello, Arana, and welcome," said Sidon as he and Arana exchanged a hug.

"And hello, Tiray, thanks so much for coming," said Midon as he greeted Tiray. "It's great to see you, and I can't wait to show you around."

"I'm happy to be here and look forward to it," said Tiray.

"We should head to the house," said Tila. "Lanka will need a nap soon."

"Arana and I plan to explore the Upland Zorana region first," said Sidon. "I think it's a beautiful area with some excellent views. From what you've seen of our Domain, wouldn't you agree, Arana?"

"Yes, your Domain is more picturesque than ours, especially at night," said Arana. "But we have some excellent coral reefs and magnificent underwater scenery nearby."

"I think it's partly because we've had historically good relations with Hylians, so our ancestors built our dwelling to encourage tourism and to impress visitors," said Sidon.

"And my people tended to live in underwater cities but eventually moved to North Hyrule when the sea changed. It was only later that the exiled Sheikah migrated there. So we never built our domain with others in mind," said Arana.

"Speaking of our domain, I think Tiray and I will start at the central square and take it from there," said Midon.

"Then have fun, everyone," said Mipha. "And let us know if you need anything."

Mipha and Link watched Sidon and Midon depart with Arana and Tiray.

"Ah, to be single again," said Link with a sigh, shaking his head.

"Excuse me?" said Mipha, giving him a look.

"I meant I'm so much happier being married," laughed Link. "And do you think you're the only one who can tease?"

"I think you're floating on thin ice, Dad," laughed Linky. "Let's all head home."

"I'll carry Lanka if you don't mind," laughed Link. "Then I'm safe from being tickled."

"Safe for now, sweetheart," teased Mipha. "I have a good memory."

With a laugh, everyone headed toward the tunnel under Spool Bight and home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 94 33
For many years now, the underwater kingdom of the zora has been feuding with the kingdom of Hyrule, and it seems like there is no end in sight. Reval...
172K 2.8K 184
An AU about Mipha's and Link's life together post Calamity. I tried to have some fun with this story, taking it in different directions, developing...
609 25 12
"Under the oath of the goddess Hylia, you shall protect the prince. Blessings on you, and the other champions." Link, the prince of Hyrule, has an an...
13.3K 628 41
One day you got transported to another universe, with all your memories of that universe being erased. You woke up in this mysterious world, with no...