Expectations When Expecting

By NyxNightshade0128

"Memories of the previous hour danced across her memory like a flurry of snowflakes in a snowstorm. Images of... More

Opening
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Book 1, Chapter 1
Book 1, chapter 2
Book 1, Chapter 3
Book 1, Chapter 4
Book 1, Chapter 5
Book 1, Chapter 6
Book 1, Chapter 7
Book 1, Chapter 8
Book 1, Chapter 9
Book 1, Chapter 10
Book 1, Chapter 11
Book 1, Chapter 12
Book 1, Chapter 13
Book 1, Chapter 14
Book 1, Chapter 15
Book 1, Chapter 16
Book 1, Chapter 17
Book 1, Chapter 18
Book 1, Chapter 19
Book 1, Chapter 20
Book 1, Chapter 21
Book 1, Chapter 22
Book 1, Chapter 23
Book 1, Chapter 24
Book 1, Chapter 26
Book 1, Chapter 27
Book 1, Chapter 28
Book 2, Chapter 1
Book 2, Chapter 2
Book 2, Chapter 3
Book 2, Chapter 4
Book 2, Chapter 5
Book 2, Chapter 6
Book 2, Chapter 7
Book 2, Chapter 8
Book 2, Chapter 9
Book 2, Chapter 10
Book 2, Chapter 11
Book 2, Chapter 12
Book 2, Chapter 13
Book 2, Chapter 14
Book 2, Chapter 15
Book2, Chapter 16
Book 2, Chapter 17
Book 2, Chapter 18
Book 2, Chapter 19
Book 2, Chapter 20
Book 2, Chapter 21
Book 2, Chapter 22
Book 2, Chapter 23
Book 2, Chapter 24
Book 2, Chapter 25
Book 2, Chapter 26
Book 2, Chapter 27
Book 2, Chapter 28
Book 2, Chapter 29
Book 2, Chapter 30
Book 2, Chapter 31
Book 3, Chapter 1
Book 3, Chapter 2
Book 3, Chapter 3
Book 3, Chapter 4
Book 3, Chapter 5
Book 3, Chapter 6
Book 3, Chapter 7
Book 3, Chapter 8
Book 3, Chapter 9
Book 3, Chapter 10
Book 3, Chapter 11

Book 1, Chapter 25

1.3K 57 7
By NyxNightshade0128

Yuu was thankful for the extra protection as she'd narrowly avoided death by tree about five times since rushing toward the overblotted Riddle. Yuu watched the trees bounce off what she'd assumed was a forcefield, launching stones at full force toward the monster, which would howl in pain and swing in her direction.

Riddle howled with laughter, launching attacks towards all of the others, who would either scramble or block the spells. Yuu looked around for another stone, finding some that were far too heavy to throw before her eyes landed on the shattered remnants of what used to be Riddle's staff. She picked it up, considering, looking around for how she would use this, when her eyes landed on Riddle as he sent another flurry of blotten arrows down upon her friends who'd barely dodged them.

Yuu's eyes widened as she realized what she needed to do. She sank lower to the ground, moving silently. She clutched the broken staff in her hands like a two-handed sword.

About half way to Riddle, she made eye contact with Ace, gesturing for him to keep Riddle distracted. He gave a quick nod, yelling at Riddle, having him turn.

Yuu inched closer, avoiding the stomping of the monster every once in a while. After what seemed like forever, Yuu had managed to get just behind Riddle, forcing herself not to gasp as she noticed what appeared to be strings of darkness attaching themselves to Riddle, almost as if Riddle were the puppet.

Yuu stood up, shifting the weight of the staff as she swung, the hard staff colliding with the red haired boy's head. He released a pained wail as he turned to face her, eyes wide in shock and outrage as he began to reach toward her. Yuu immediately panicked, and did the only thing she had the power to do in that situation: Yuu rammed the rounded end of the staff into Riddle's stomach, effectively knocking the wind out of him as he fell.

The pregnant woman stared at the boy as he clutched his stomach in pain, making Yuu wince in sympathy.

"Sorry!" She said, awkwardly before being snapped out of her apology by a cry.

"Yuu!" The young woman turned, face paling when she'd noticed Cater's wide-eyed glance as he barely managed to change the trajectory of the spell.

A large, rocket-like spell flew over her head, colliding loudly with the monster's head, making Yuu stare back at the boys with wide, terrified eyes. She flinched, feeling a cold drip land onto her arm and she froze at the deep sound of a fishbowl cracking.

Yuu looked up to see web-like cracks forming, suddenly understanding her lack of time as she considered running forward.

"Yuu! Run!" Trey pleaded, seeing the look that Yuu gave to the unmoving red-head.

More darkness came oozing out, the dim glow of the medallion forming a new shield around her as she did not run. Instead, wrapping herself over Riddle, shielding him as she looked out to see the horrified expressions of the boys.

A loud shattering sound was heard as she saw someone run out, faintly hearing the words, "Headmage!" Before the flood of ink had completely engulfed the two.

.

.

.

Yuu opened her eyes with a groan before jumping slightly at the unfamiliar house. She heard excited humming from around the corner before Yuu noticed a familiar head of bright red hair peeking around the corner.

"Happy eighth birthday, Riddle." A woman's "voice could be heard, the scent of something warm and faintly sweet wafting in the air.

"This year's birthday cake is a low-sugar recipe made with nuts and lecithin-rich soy flour to improve your cerebral function." Yuu furrowed her brow as she made her way behind Riddle, looking over his shoulder silently as she noticed a very small version of him sitting at a table.

The little boy looked slightly disappointed, however looked up to the red-haired woman. "Thank you. But, Mom..." He gave her a little smile. "Just once, I'd like to try one of those tarts covered with bright-red strawberries..." He asked, eyes shining with hope.

The woman, similarly to Riddle, turned a bright red. "Absolutely not! Those tarts are monstrously unhealthy. I might as well feed you poison!" The young child flinched at his mother's words, looking down.

"Even just a single slice would exceed your recommended daily intake of sugar." The woman explained, eyes hard as she sternly informed the boy. "Now, dinner tonight will be a tuna sauté rich in DHA and omega-3 fatty acids." She revealed another dish, placing a plate onto a different scale and setting it.

"Now that you're eight, your caloric intake should be 600 kilocalories per meal, so don't eat more than 100 grams of it. Understood?" Yuu stared in horror at her way of conducting herself with her child, anger flaring.

The little boy nodded. "Yes, mom."

"What is she doing?! Counting a child's calorie intake like that... prohibiting him from eating a tart? Oh his birthday? This is horrible!" She fumed loudly, eyes lingering on the boy as he carefully plated his own food.

Having forgotten that Riddle had been there, Yuu had admittedly jumped at his surprised yelp.

"Huh?! Prefect Yuu?" The boy yelped. "What are... How are you here?" He questioned.

Yuu thought for a moment, recalling the previous events. "I, uh. I kinda just... woke up here..." She admitted.

Riddle sighed exasperatedly, turning away from her. "So even in my past, you've come to torment me."

Yuu frowned for a moment. "So... that little boy. That's you?"

Riddle sighed, nodding.

"Well, yes... I'd always wanted to try one of those tarts with the bright-red strawberries..." Riddle said. "The local cake shop had them in the window. They shined at me like forbidden jewels." He recalled, walking toward a different part, gesturing for her to follow.

.

.

.

The two stood inside a new room, standing tensely in a corner as they listened to the woman drone on, little Riddle diligently taking notes as she spoke.

A few more minutes of that, and Riddle's mother shut the book. "That's enough classical magic study for today." She said, placing a book down in front of the eight-year-old. "Your homework is to read the first fifty pages of the philosophy of language book referenced in today's magical philosophy texts."

Little Riddle nodded, placing marks on the pages to remind himself to read that much of the heavy text-book.

His mother nodded, air of professionalism never once leaving her as she interacted with her son.

"You may now have one hour of independent study before your potionology lesson."

Little Riddle gave her an obedient nod, grabbing his book. "Thank you, mother."

She smiled gently at the boy, satisfied with his answer. "I need some time to prepare the lesson materials. I will see you in one hour, okay?"

"I was studying every possible subject, scheduled down to the minute." Riddle examined his younger self as he examined the book in his hands, writing down little notes onto a notebook.

"When I didn't understand something, the lesson was extended until I did. That was my 'normal.'"

Yuu looked at Riddle's exhausted gaze, her heart clenching. She had to push down the urge to engulf him in a hug, opting instead to listen.

Riddle turned to the window, Yuu following his gaze when a knock was heard.

"...Is someone knocking on the window?" The little Riddle hopped out of his tall seat, making his way to the window.

"Whoa, he heard us!" A small, high pitched voice was heard, nervous.

"Hey, come play with us!" Another, more playful tone was heard.

Little Riddle opened the window. His wide, curious eyes peeking over the window sill before he adjusted himself, a little more confidently.

"Who are you?" He asked, almost jumping backwards as a little familiar cat-boy hopped up to the window sill, body disappearing slightly.

"I'm Che'nya, and that's Trey." The cheerful boy made himself reappear. "Let's all play croquet! Oh, but it's LOTS of fun!" He said, grin wide.

Yuu turned to the older Riddle. "That's Chenya and Trey?!" She asked, making Riddle laugh a bit at her bewildered expression.

"Yes." He gave Yuu a small smile, which she returned.

"I can't. I'm supposed to be doing independent study, and I have a lot of homework to do." Little Riddle responded awkwardly, turning to go back to his desk.

Little Chenya hopped over the sill and into the room, coming face-to-face with Riddle. "'Independent study' means you pick what to do, right? My grandpa says play is a form of study!" He tugged a bit at Riddle's sleeve.

"Just play with us for a little bit!" Little Trey called from the outside, making the young Riddle think for a moment, a little overwhelmed by the two others.

"...O-okay... Just a little, though!" He finally gave in, allowing himself to be led to the window.

"Hey, what's your name?" The younger Trey asked as little Riddle flushed.

"R-Riddle. Riddle Rosehearts."

Yuu felt her heart melt at the cuteness that came from the younger boys. Her heart swelled at the thought that she'd one day get the experience of the sight of her baby going off to play with friends for the first time.

"They were your very first friends... right?" Yuu asked, rubbing her belly a bit.

"Yes... I had the best time playing with Trey and Che'nya. We did so many things I'd never done before. They taught me lots of things I didn't know." Riddle smiled warmly, watching his younger self running around with Trey and Chenya. A memory flashed across Yuu's vision, a younger Riddle struggling to wrangle a flamingo, another image of Riddle holding his first hedgehog, and Riddle climbing a tree with Trey and Chenya helping him.

"After that, I snuck out of my room every day... To play with them during independent study time." Riddle recounted as the image shifted again, back outside the window of Riddle Rosehearts.

"Whaaat? You've never even tried a strawberry tart? They're out of this world." Chenya cried in disbelief.

"Yeah..." Little Riddle looked down awkwardly, tugging at the bottom of his shirt. "My mom says sugar is basically poison."

"I mean, you probably shouldn't eat too much of it..." Little Trey said, "But calling it 'poison' is kinda...yikes." The little boy's eyes suddenly brightened as an idea entered his thoughts.

"You know, my family runs a cake shop." Trey began his proposition. "Let's go get a tart right now!" He offered innocently as he offered Riddle a hand as if offering to lead him there.

Little Riddle reached his hand out before hesitating. "Really? But...I shouldn't."

"Just one slice. It'll be fine." Trey said, convincing as Riddle took his hand with a nod.

Little Chenya hopped up excitedly. "One slice for YOU, maybe." He chirped. "I want a whole one!"

The scene shifted again, Yuu turning to Riddle whose face had hardened.

Yuu looked over to see Riddle staring in awe at a well-adorned slice of strawberry tart. She internally cheered him on as he took his first bite and he looked so very pleased with the flavor.

"A bright-red strawberry tart on a white plate. To me, it shined more brightly than any gem could." Riddle recited, Yuu turning to face him once more. She noted the tears in his eyes and her heart sank.

"That first bite was so sweet. It tasted like nothing I'd ever eaten before.With each bite, I became more entranced..." The cute scene shifted to black, before fading into a brand new image.

"...and completely lost track of the time." Riddle finished his sentence as Yuu heard the terrifying sound of Riddle's mother. She seemed to be yelling at Riddle, her hand tightly secured around his wrist.

"I cannot believe this! Not only are you cutting independent study time, but I find you eating a mountain of sugar?!" Her voice was loud and outraged. "Those two hoodlums must have incited this behavior. You must never play with them again!" She growled as Riddle wailed loudly, pleading with his mother.

"I'm sorry, Mother! I promise, it will never happen again." He cried, attempting to wrestle his wrist from her tight grip. Yuu's heart clenched, sending a deadly glare at Riddle's mother.

"Be quiet! You've broken the rules, and I'll not hear another word from you!" She snapped, forcing Riddle to flinch back. "Clearly, you're not able to handle the freedom of independent study. I need to keep a closer eye on you."

Yuu felt tears well in her eyes, heart broken at the interaction. "What kind of a mother forbids her child from having friends and ignores the distressed sound of her child?" She growled to herself, turning to see Riddle.

"Because I broke the rules, my favorite part of my day was taken away from me." Riddle spoke, voice void of emotions before his voice cracked with emotion. "I vowed to never break my mother's rules again. After all, she was the most accomplished mother in the city, and therefore, the most correct. But Mom... Why?"

Yuu placed a hand on Riddle's shoulder, silently asking for permission to embrace him. When he dropped his head, tears falling to the floor, Yuu moved forward, wrapping her arms around him.

"Why does my heart hurt so much? I want to eat a tart! It's my birthday, so can't I have some just this once?" He sobbed, leaning further into Yuu's embrace.

"I want to play outside all day long! I want to make lots and lots of friends! Tell me, Mom, please..." Riddle buried his face in Yuu's shoulder, the young woman feeling some tears fall.

"What rule do I need to follow to make this pain go away?" Yuu held onto him for a while, her eyes closed as she held on.

After a while, Riddle had calmed down, Yuu offering him a hand as a distant golden glow became brighter as Yuu led the younger boy toward it.

As the two arrived, the light morphed into two glowing gold doors. Yuu looked at Riddle.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"As I'll ever be..." Riddle said anxiously.

Yuu nodded, pushing the door open for him before making her own way through the doors. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 55.3K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
3.5K 110 6
Aurora Rose owns a mysterious ring, which was given to her by her mother Aria, though its true purpose is currently unknown. After her long Journey f...
9.6K 400 19
"I'll protect all of them even If it kills me" . Having died and having the same name, did that god made it on purpose or is it a coincidence? . Hell...
40.4K 1.5K 28
'I've already experienced one omnipotent being flinging me from one Universe to another...I didn't need another one to destroy what I had just achiev...