Waging War Book 4: Empty Peac...

Por DawnfireOfSkyClan

"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." A violent battle between AshClan and... Mais

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 20

166 12 0
Por DawnfireOfSkyClan

Owlbreeze watched in horror as Riverstar led AshClan away, the tension between Dawnstar and Timberstar was still thick. All of her fears, all of StarClan's warnings seemed to be coming forward at once. It was clear that despite saying they wanted to remain neutral, both SunClan and LichenClan were starting to pick sides. Owlbreeze felt her stomach flipping in and turning itself in knots. She was glad Mountainstar had stopped the arguing but now AshClan was also stepping away from gatherings.

The leaders, deputies and medicine cats remained silent but hushed whispers could be heard across the gathering cats. Owlbreeze looked to her fellow medicine cats in Pebblestep, Honeyfrost, Roseheart and Emberwind and they all look equally concerned. Owlbreeze felt that she hadn't been able to do anything to stop this, but again she really hadn't been a chance to.

"I think it's time my Clan returns home." Timberstar announced with a flick of his tail and casting a judgemental glance at Dawnstar. "You two should do the same." He led LichenClan out of the hollow and vanished into the trees, only SunClan and MountainClan remained.

"I apologize for losing my temper." Dawnstar spoke to Mountainstar and the rest of the cats. "It's very unlike me, I suppose Riverstar still gets under my pelt from time to time."

"I thought you two weren't picking sides." Mountainstar turned to her. "That's what I was told to do because it's what you two said you would be doing."

"I haven't picked a side." Dawnstar sighed. "I want this war to end, but something tells me that we may not have a choice much longer. It's clear Riverstar is going to escalate this, we just don't know how."

Owlbreeze stepped forward, feeling her frustrations rise. "I tried to warn you about this." She spoke, her voice tense. "StarClan warned me about this war and I wanted you."

"And I apologize for not listening but my point still stands, Owlbreeze." She met her old leader's gaze. "We can't control the actions of the other Clans, only our own. I don't want to enter this war, but going forward I'm going to treat it like I may not have a choice. If Riverstar attacks us, then I will defend my Clan." She turned away from Owlbreeze, making her feel even more frustrated. "SunClan! We're going home."

Owlbreeze watched the leader along with Cinderflame, Pebblestep and Honeyfrost leave. Through the large crowd of SunClan cats Owlbreeze met eyes with Blossomtail which were filled with pain and worry. Owlbreeze tried to give her sister a reassuring glance, but she wasn't sure how well she did.

She had been so happy to see her siblings and hear their new warrior names, Blossomtail, Oakfang and Rushtail had all fit them so well but it felt like everything was ruined by the conflict. She had also been heart broken to hear about the passing of Sandfoot, she always enjoyed spending time in the elders den with her. Owlbreeze missed her old Clan, and it felt like she was about to watch them enter a bloody, violent war.

Images of her visions flashed in mind, reminding her that StarClan had placed this burden solely on her shoulders and there was nothing she could do to stop it. She couldn't change Riverstar or Violetstar's minds and it truly felt like Timberstar and Dawnstar were also making up their minds.

"Come on, Owlbreeze." She felt a nudge from Mountainstar which pulled her from her raging thoughts.

"Right..." Owlbreeze spoke quietly, turning away from where the SunClan cats had been and walking with her leader and deputy to return to their own camp.

"I'm going to stay out of this war as best I can, you know that right?" Mountainstar said, her golden eyes casting a caring glance downward.

"I know..." Owlbreeze sighed quietly. "You seem like the one leader who hasn't already formed an opinion on who's right or wrong..."

"The way I see it," Mountainstar looked straight ahead. "That's not really how it works. Riverstar was in the wrong for killing Shadowstar, but Violetstar was in the wrong for one of her warriors killing Graypelt and now they're trying to drag the other Clans into their mess. When I learned the warrior code, I was told that it was dishonorable to kill cats in. battle, only for self defense. It just makes me wonder how many more lives have to be needlessly lost for this to end?"

"I don't know much about the old LichenClan and MoonClan conflict." Owlbreeze added on. "I've only heard a few things about it, but I know a lot of cats died before the two leaders finally ended it and if SunClan gets involved..." Her heart ached at the thought of losing any of her family members.

"It'll be alright, Owlbreeze." She knew that Monuntainstar was talking to her like she was a kit needing comforting, and in this moment—she wasn't going to complain about it. She went silent and just walked beside her Clanmates until they reached the camp.

Feeling the bite of the cold now, Owlbreeze stepped into her den to find both Sparrowpaw and Troutstream sleeping peacefully. She checked both of them out, listening to their breathing and making sure they sounded fine before flopping down in her nest. Her fears and anxieties were tearing at her heart, and she still couldn't figure out why StarClan had warned her when there was clearly nothing she could've done. It just felt like they were messing with her.

She knew that talking to Mosscloud wouldn't help, she would just keep giving her vague answers. She tossed and turned in her nest, unable to rest. She finally managed to get some sleep, but it was not restful.

*****

Owlbreeze let out a yawn as she sorted her herbs, hearing Finchpaw and Wrenpaw behind her go into great detail about the events of the gathering to Sparrowpaw. "I thought Riverstar was gonna attack Dawnstar! She looked like she wanted to rip her ears off!"

"Do you think she would've if Mountainstar hadn't stopped them?" Sparrowpaw asked, eyes wide with awe.

"I have no idea." Wrenpaw shook her head. "But it was scary!"

"It sounds like there's going to be an entire Clan war! Timberstar wanted to side with Riverstar but Dawnstar was siding with Violetstar and now Riverstar isn't coming to gatherings anymore!"

"Do you think Mountainstar will pick a side?" Sparrowpaw asked.

"I dunno." Finchpaw added. "But I think Violetstar is right, I think Riverstar is a big bully."

"But—"

"Enough." Owlbreeze spoke up, not wanting the apprentices to get wrapped up in sides, she faced the apprentices who looked at her a bit surprised. "Mountainstar doesn't want this kind of gossip in the Clan, especially from apprentices who don't fully understand. This is a war, cats could lose their lives, it's not a subject to be joked about."

All three apprentices hung their heads in shame. "Sorry, Owlbreeze." Wrenpaw shuffled her paws.

Owlbreeze let out a sigh in a bit guilty. "It's okay, you just need to understand that this is a serious issue."

"Do you think we're gonna have to fight..?" Finchpaw asked with genuine concern.

Owlbreeze couldn't answer that with pure certainty. "Mountainstar said she is going to keep us out of the conflict, MountainClan is too new to be fighting wars." That seemed to cheer them up a bit and she left them to talk about something else. She stepped into main camp, the air was chilly but manageable. She stretched out her limbs and let out a yawn, her sleep the night before not having been restful in the slightest.

She sat outside her den, just enjoying the fresh air as she started washing her paws. She enjoyed the peace for a while before she saw a very concerned looking Flamepetal approaching her. "Everything okay?" She asked, wondering if something had happened.

"I think so?" The ginger she-cat sounded uncertain. "I'm not...sure. I've been feeling sick lately."

Owlbreeze was instantly on alert, she thought that whitecough and greencough had been eradicated from the camp. "Are you coughing? Do you have a fever?" She stood up on her paws.

"No no no." Flamepetal shook her head and allowed Owlbreeze to exhale in relief. "I feel nauseous and tired, it's hard for me to eat prey and I just can't keep up with the others. I think I may have some sort of stomach bug."

One thing instantly entered Owlbreeze's mind, and with her and Spiderstorm recently becoming mates..."Come with me." Owlbreeze led Flamepetal into the medicine cat den and instructed her to lay down on her side. Flamepetal obeyed and laid down.

Owlbreeze placed her paw on Flamepetal's belly, feeling how hard it was it was exactly as she expected. "Flamepetal you're not sick, you're expecting kits."

Flamepetal's eyes widened and she scrambled to her paws. "I am?" She looke terrified but excited all at the same time. "Wha-what do I do?" She looked down her belly.

"Not much, honestly." Owlbreeze told her. "You're still very early on. Here in about half a moon or so you'll move into the nursery with Riverstep and just let the kits grow. They do most of the work."

"Thank you, Owlbreeze." It was clear that Flamepetal was incredibly happy. "I have to go tell Spiderstorm!" She ran from the medicine cat den to find her mate and Owlbreeze felt happiness for the first time since waking up.

Flamepetal had left SunClan because she felt alone and like she didn't belong, and she was thriving in MountainClan. She had friends, she had a mate and she was about to start a family. Owlbreeze was so incredibly happy for her, and it really reminded her that she was truly happy in the Clan as well. She had become good friends with her Clanmates and she was very happy.

Owlbreeze decided to share the news of Flamepetal's pregnancy with Mountainstar, hoping that it would bring the leader some much needed hope after the previous night's gathering.

She crossed the camp and easily climbed up the steep ledge to Mountainstar's den, poking her head inside. Within the dimly lit den was Mountainstar alone eating a small mouse. "Can I come in?" Owlbreeze asked softly before entering.

"Always, Owlbreeze." Mountainstar finished off her mouse and sat up. "Is everything alright?"

"Great, actually." She sat down across from the leader. "Flamepetal is expecting kits."

Mountainstar's eyes instantly lit up. "Oh that's such wonderful news!' She said excitedly. "They should be born just in time for new leaf!" Seeing her leader so happy made Owlbreeze share her delight, feeling a warm sensation in her belly. "MountainClan is growing so fast! Oh I'm so excited."

"Me too." Owlbreeze purred happily. "Maybe some day we'll be the size of SunClan."

"Maybe." Mountainstar said happily, her tail waving behind her. "When does she need to move into the nursery?"

"Probably not for another half-moon." Owlbreeze replied. "She's telling Spiderstorm and I'm assuming the rest of the Clan now. News will travel fast, and I know everyone loves Riverstep's kits, I know even more will be welcome."

"This is such wonderful news." Mountainstar purred loudly. "It almost makes me miss when my kits were tiny, even if I didn't give birth to them."

"They're still your kits, but they'll be warriors soon I imagine. Especially once Sparrowpaw gets back into training. He should be back to completely normal before the next half-moon if I had to guess."

"I'm so relived." Mountainstar's eyes softened as she thought about her kits. "Thank you for taking such good care of him, for taking care of the whole Clan."

"It's what I do." Owlbreeze dipped her head. "It's why I became a medicine cat, to help and I really feel like I'm helping here."

"We're very lucky to have you." Mountainstar said fondly, something she had said many times and despite the war looming over their heads; Owlbreeze was finally starting to believe it.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

18.2K 751 45
"You are our future..." Three sisters born into the most ferocious Clan in the forest, their entire lives of ahead of them. Riverkit is ambitious wi...
36.5K 1K 46
Crowkit is born into tragedy, his sister dead before she ever had a chance to live and the only cat his mother blames is him. Despite the pain, Crowp...
1.4K 108 40
A moon after Minnowpaw failed to return from her journey to Highstones, RiverClan has accepted that she is dead. Life is continuing in the forest as...
141 7 12
Book 1. Many lifetimes since the well-known founders of the Lake had passed. Tensions have been dead for a long while, until a new threat started to...