𝐌𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐑 | j. kirstein

By _hunmoon

❝if I told you all my secrets, you'd never look at me the same.❞ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ... More

𝐈𝐑𝐈𝐒 - character profile
𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐈 | the warrior
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄
𝐢 | farewell
𝐢𝐢 | paradis island
𝐢𝐢𝐢 | cadet corps
𝐢𝐯 | the pine tree
𝐯 | tomorrow
𝐯𝐢 | city of trost
𝐯𝐢𝐢 | dream
𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 | the 57th expedition
𝐢𝐱 | home
𝐱 | traitor
𝐱𝐢 | warrior, soldier
𝐱𝐢𝐢 | starry night
𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢 | they will never know
𝐱𝐢𝐯 | tell me a secret
𝐱𝐯 | catching fire
𝐱𝐯𝐢 | the executioner
𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 | two sides of the same coin
𝐱𝐢𝐱 | i trust you
𝐱𝐱 | promises
𝐱𝐱.𝐯 | open eyes

𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢 | kill or be killed

483 21 49
By _hunmoon

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

AND JUST LIKE THAT, Iris was thrown back into hell. Two days after her encounter with Zeke at the warehouse, Marley's troops on the island sent out for reinforcements, meaning it was time to finish what they had started five years ago. Three weeks did surely pass by in a blink of time.

She wasn't worried about dying. Death was something she had embraced a long time ago. To her, her life was like a ticking bomb, ready to go off at any minute ever since she enlisted in the Warrior Program.

Her fate was decided eight years ago and there no turning back, she knew that, but it didn't mean it needs to be the same for her uncle. He still has so much to live for. She couldn't let anyone take it away, which is why she won't lose this war.

She'll come back for him, just like she always had. This was no different.

She stood at top of the Gates of Heaven, the Marleyan ship unloading from below and the orange-flamed sky drawing in her eyes, as the ocean's waves clash upon the port. Her lungs take in the air with pleasure, breathing out slowly.

"You think she's watching over me?"

Reiner faces her, then following her gaze up that led to the sky. He adjusts his jacket's collar, and says, "Your mother?... I'm sure she is. She's guarding you from above, proud of how far you've come."

"I don't think so," Iris shakes her head, "If I were her... I'd be disappointed... terrified of what I have become."

"Hey," he calls softly, "you did what you had to do to survive... to protect your family... I've never seen someone sacrifice as much as you have... and I'm sure that she knows that too."

Iris turns back to the sky, admiring it.

If there was at least one thing going right in her life, it would be Reiner not knowing she killed her own father. The news spread around town and everybody is looking for the killer of this so-called innocent man.

What a joke.

Still, Reiner remains unaware of the murderer that walks beside him, and she plans to keep it that way. She couldn't bear to even imagine the horror in his face. It made her realize that sometimes, it's best for the truth to remain hidden.

"Elvira! Braun! We're leaving! Move your asses!" Zeke's voice yelled, standing a few meters away from them.

Iris sighs deeply. She pats Reiner's shoulder and says, "That's our cue. Come on. Bertholdt's waiting for us at the wall."

She walked past him, assuming the boy followed behind, but was stunned with what he spoke next.

"You ever think about what you'll do when this is over?"

Iris comes to stop. Stunned but curious, she kept her back facing him, her ears perked up as Reiner went on.

"I do... a lot...," he confesses, staring out to the sky's wide horizon with blank eyes, "and I still don't have an answer... I just can't see myself living past tomorrow... Reminds me awful lot of that day in Trost. I really believed that I was going to die, but then again, it's part of the job, is it not?"

She stayed silent.

"All I know is this; kill or be killed. It's up to us to decide what will our fate be... to remember who's side we're on, and survive at all costs."

"Fate, huh?" Iris chuckles humorlessly, "Our fate was decided a long time ago. I don't think we ever had a say in it."

"Perhaps," he says.

"You're wrong about something... There is no need for me to remember which side I'm on. I know where my loyalty stands, and it's neither Marley nor anyone else. I only fight their wars to protect my family. They'd be making fools out of themselves by thinking I'd die for them."

Reiner shifts his gaze to her, observing the sincerity in her face. "You sound just like Annie."

Iris' jaw twitches slightly, but she restrains her discomfort, "Yeah, well, you should learn a thing or two from her, too."

"Braun!" Zeke yelled again, this time, his voice laced with hints of annoyance. "Any day now."

Reiner and Iris exchange tense glances, and make their way to Zeke, who greets them with a sharp sigh as they come closer.

"What took you so long, huh? One more second, and I thought you might've kissed on the spot," he eyes both of them with suspicion, but shrugs it off. "Don't forget our goal here. It's about time we end this prolonged and unnecessary battle."

How about I kill you here on the spot? Iris thought, cursing from the inside. If things between Reiner and her weren't tense enough, Zeke had made sure they were with his ignorance.

Well, technically, Zeke didn't know of what happened, nobody did, and Iris will do everything in her power to keep it that way.

It's been three awful days since then, filled with nervous glances, awkward silences and this tense banter between them. They couldn't find the way to bring it up without making it worse, so instead, the two remained silent and chose to ignore it.

She did, at least.

Iris figured that it was simply because of the intense proximity in the moment, an act of impulsivity, and totally not something else. She was bound to dismiss it and forget, so why couldn't she wipe the memory off her mind?

It was hard not to think of it, especially with Reiner around her. It was impossible to deny he didn't make her feel something. It scared her that in that moment everything she felt for Jean was put to question.

Still, for her and their friendship's sake, she will turn a blind eye to the matter.

"How long till we reach the wall?" Iris asks nonchalantly, doing her best to change the subject. Beside her, Reiner clears his throat nervously.

"We shall be there by nightfall," Zeke replies, "Look for Pieck. You're with her."

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

Indeed, they arrived at Wall Maria by nightfall. The luminous sky was decorated with a sea of stars, the moon gleaming down at the abandoned district of Shiganshina.

Iris stood at the top of the wall, her eyes scanning the ruins the city became, having just landed with the help of ODM gear Zeke had provided her and Reiner.

Where did he get that from? It was better if she didn't know.

She gazed at the city below. Shattered houses, giant rocks taking up space in what used to be streets filled with people, overgrown greenery. Ruins of a beautiful city she had brought doom upon five years ago.

It seemed like only yesterday she was being deployed to the island. A child sent to erupt a war.

"Iris! Reiner!"

Her heart jumped in excitement as her ears recognize the familiar voice. She turns around quickly and catches sight of Bertholdt running to them, a wide and relieved smile on his face.

His long arms wrap around Reiner and Iris, pulling them closely to his body, a sigh leaving his mouth, "It's so good to see you. You don't know how much I wanted to jump off this wall."

Iris had one arm crushed by Reiner's, so with her free arm, she hugs his waist, chuckling, "We're glad to see you too, Bert. Really."

Reiner pats Bertholdt's back and says, "She's right. It was weird not having someone to talk me out of doing stupid shit."

They all chuckle as they pull apart. Bertholdt turns to Iris, his eyes suddenly full of fear.

"Uh, Iris... my father... is he..."

She takes his trembling hand in hers and rubs her thumb against it, smiling softly, "He is well, don't worry. I saw him before we departed. He sends you his regards and wishes you stay safe."

He breathes out deeply, relief washing over his worry, "Thank you."

"Iris nods and allows him to retreat his hand. In time, Zeke calls them over to where Bertholdt was first standing by, and it was then when she noticed the campfire and tent he had behind him. Bertholdt must've been using it.

"Come. Join me, my dear Warriors," Zeke exclaims, a metal pitcher in his hand.

The three settle down, forming a circle around the crackling fire. They watch as Zeke pours a hot, black liquid from the pitcher onto three cups, soon handing one to each.

Iris raises the cup to her nostrils, inhaling the strange liquid's sweetness, and lets it run down her throat. The muscles in her face release their tension as her mouth savors the remains of the tea.

Zeke chugs down the whole drink, leaving Bertholdt, Iris and Reiner to simply stare. He notices their strained postures and chuckles, "What's wrong now? Tea not up to your liking?"

"How can you be so calm?"

He frowns at her question, "I'm afraid I don't understand. There's nothing to be alarmed about. Our plan is perfect. What is there to not be calm about?"

Iris huffs, placing her cup down to look at him. "That's the thing. I've asked you multiple times what this plan of yours is, and you still haven't given me an answer, so yeah, there is something to not be calm about."

"You worry too much, Iris," Zeke shakes his head. "If you must know, we have the element of surprise."

"How so?"

"The Scouts are expecting us, yes, but they do not know of our plan. It's simple. We corner them like scared mice, crush all hopes of getting away by taking out their horses, and they'll have no other choice, but to engage with us. Then, the two of you come in."

"The two of you?" Bertholdt repeats.

"Well, Reiner and Iris. My bad, I should've been specific."

"Us?" Reiner asks, confusion written all over his face. Iris tilts her head, trying to figure out his words.

Zeke nods. "We'll need to make sure the inside of the wall is in control. Any surprises from them, and the plan is lost. Someone will have to deal with Eren, just enough until the outside is secure. I trust you'll manage, Reiner."

"What will I do then?" Iris asks.

"Though the Armored is strong enough to handle Eren, it's not smart to leave Reiner defenseless if it all goes down to shit. That's where you come in. The Aural will aid when needed. Put those new tricks to use, while you're at it."

So I'm Reiner's babysitter... great, Iris thought.

Reiner grunts. "What will Bertholdt do? Even with Iris there, we might need to pull more strings. You can never know with Erwin Smith around."

"Worry not, my Warriors, for your solution is here," Zeke says as he pats Bertholdt's shoulder. Bertholdt's jaw twitches slightly. "If that does, indeed, happen, then you must send a signal and help will be on the way. We can only turn to the Colossal if there's no other options. Is that understood?"

Reiner and Bertholdt nod. Iris stares at her boots.

It wasn't a horrible plan, rather simple and effective. Though, she still wonders why Zeke kept it a secret until they reached the island. Well. It's Zeke, after all. Maybe he had the need to be mysterious for no apparent reason.

There was still something bothering her. "What will we do about Annie?"

Iris wasn't planning on leaving this island without her. She'd never be able to live with herself, if she did.

A sharp breath leaves Zeke's lips. He meets her eyes, a sudden coldness in them. Next to her, Reiner and Bertholdt drifted their gazes somewhere else, as though they were nervous.

"We've been through this, have we not? Annie is fine. Our goal is to retrieve the Coordinate. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Good," Bertholdt says. "Can't afford to lose more people."

Good? Is he out of his mind?

Zeke nods. "Hoover's right. We don't have time nor people to distract ourselves from the goal-"

"War Chief Zeke," the Cart Titan's raspy voice called from the base of Wall Maria. The Warriors walk over to the edge, looking down at it. "Scouts passed the foot. Ready to approach."

Zeke gives Pieck a thumbs up as a signal and turns back to the three teenagers waiting at his command. He raises his cup in the air, grinning, "Let us toast to Marley's victory and to the end of this mission, dear Warriors!"

Zeke jolts up as soon as the four mugs clink together, hissing loudly as his finger presses down his tongue, "Ack! Hot! Why is it so goddamn hot?"

Iris bites back a laugh. Zeke catches her act and gives her an offended look. He proceeds to give them their last reminders of the plan and makes his way down to Pieck. Reiner pours the leftover of his tea into the fire, erupting a wave of steam and ashes. He kicks the burned wood off the wall and turns to his friends.

"Sun's rising," he says.

Iris looks behind her. The sky was warming up, shades of orange and pink painting it. The start of a new day, and perhaps, her last.

"We should go."

The boys nod at her, and the three start to walk along the wall. After a while, they come to a stop.

"Well, this is it," Reiner announces, his eyes gesturing at the hole in the wall below them. It was crate big enough to fit a human body, in this case, Reiner.

"Where will Iris be?" Bertholdt asks, failing to hide his concern. "I don't think that crate is big enough for you two, and it wouldn't be wise to be together."

Iris pats his shoulder, smiling, "Don't worry about me. I'll find a spot that allows me to see everything. I always aced at hide and seek, remember?"

"You sure did," Bertholdt smiles back, then turns to his other friend. "Hey, stay safe, all right? Both of you. Let's end this... once for all... together... and when we go back to our hometown, we'll have a drink."

With her hand still on his shoulder, she squeezes it softly, a warm smile in her face, "A drink... Hm, I'd like that very much."

"Me, too," Reiner chuckles, "Don't forget to invite your beloved Annie."

Bertholdt goes red at that. He starts waving his hands violently in the air. "W-What?... I don't know what you're talking about!.. Me and Annie?... Never!"

Iris crosses her arms, batting an eyebrow at him, "Never? Please. You should see the way you look at her... Trust me, Bert... any girl, including Annie, would appreciate the one who rushes in and saves her... even if it's you... We'll come back for her."

He breaths in and out, regaining his confidence, then he says, "Well... I better get to Zeke."

"Good luck," Reiner tells him.

Just as the two boys turned to part in opposite ways, Iris catches their hands, her heart trembling inside her ribcage. Reiner and Bertholdt are stunned by her tight grip, and more when she pulls them in for a hug. Her arms wrap around their necks, holding them as tight as she could.

She had to. There was no way of knowing if this would be the last she could hug both of them. She had to let them know.

A shaky sigh leaves her lips.

"Promise me... you won't die... That we will see each other again and that we will be okay... please."

The two boys embrace her, resting their heads on hers. Iris bites her lips to prevent tears.

She couldn't believe it, she wanted to deny it badly, but it was no use. She was scared. Scared of the war. Scared for herself. Scared for the future.

Above all, she's scared she'll lose somebody today.

I can't go through that again. I can't.

Then, Reiner's hand reaches her soft hair, caressing her head. "I promise... We promise.. we will be okay," he says, with a heavy heart, wondering if his words were the truth, or a mere lie.

And as the three Warriors part ways, Iris is left with only one thought; if it comes to it, will she capable of killing him?

Him. The boy who she found a friendship. The one her heart trusted the most to be herself with, free of all the burdens of the world. The one who makes her laugh and feel safe, whose smile runs through her mind every day and whose eyes she sees in her dreams.

The one she has betrayed and is meant to kill.

There was only way to make it through this battle, and she knew it.

Kill or be killed.

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

It's been twenty minutes since she last saw Reiner and Bertholdt, twelve since the Scours arrived at the wall, and seven since the Armored Titan's roars echoed in the air, making Iris assume Reiner's fighting with Eren. The ground shakes are getting stronger, the roars louder.

It was starting to worry her.

Shortly after Reiner had settled in his spot, Iris scavenged the district's ruins for a safe and tall place to stay alert. Eventually, she found an abandoned church, right in the middle of the city, giving her a discreet and perfect sight of every movement. The problem was the Scouts were passing by more frequently, forcing Iris to hide, unable to keep an eye on Reiner.

Her fingers played nervously with the pine cone pendant hanging from her neck, as she takes a deep sigh.

Kill or be killed, she reminded herself, and lets her hand fall to her side.

She makes her way to the top of the church through the stairs, and out to the enormous church bell, her eyes taking in her surroundings. She gasps in horror.

A few kilometers away, the Armored Titan knelt on the ground, its complete head blown off, revealing Reiner sitting out in its nape. Clouds of steam surrounding him, and not to mention, the crowd of Scouts stationed in the houses around. Her eyes move to the Attack Titan standing in front of Reiner's vulnerable state.

Iris feels her blood run cold in anger. Her hands reach out for her gear's handles, pressing them and allowing her hooks to latch on to two tall buildings. She jumps
off the church and maneuvers her way through the streets. Reiner's state becomes clear as she comes close. His whole face was gone, his body utterly still.

A soldier hears the sound of wires and snaps his head to the sound, shouting, "Look! It's Iris!"

All heads snap in her direction as she lands in the Armored's shoulder. The same soldier wastes no time and speeds to her, attempting to kill her, but Iris was way ahead of him. She was quick to duck and kick the blades away, then trapping the soldier in a headlock, her sword grazing his throat with her other arm.

She catches Mikasa running to her, a deadly look in her eyes, only to be stopped by Armin. Iris presses the blade closer to the solder, and shouts, "One more step, and I kill him!"

"Please!" the soldier pleads, trembling under her hold, "Let me go-"

"Shut it," Iris hisses.

All eyes were on her. She could feel their tension and fear, gawking and cautious of her every movement. Eren's intense glare wasn't making it any better. Slowly, she drags her body and the soldier's closer to Reiner, moving away the blade to check his pulse.

It was weak, but it was there.

"You're gonna be okay," she tells him, and receives no response.

"Iris!" Armin calls out. "Let him go. There's no need to hurt him. Give us a chance to talk."

He looked scared, yet his voice was gentle.

"I'd be playing right into one of your games, if I did. Tell me, are you planning to manipulate my feelings like last time? It won't work, Armin."

Mikasa slips out of his hold, furiously glaring at Iris, "I've had enough. Let me kill her and get it over with."

"No," Hanji, their superior, protested, "Her Titan's powers are still dangerous to face. We know too little to act on it."

At least one of them is smart.

Suddenly, the soldier elbows Iris' stomach, breaking free. Iris, despite the pain, grabs his arm before he could fly away and drags her blade across his throat. Everyone gasps as the soldier starts choking on his blood, soon falling off to the ground.

"She killed Dean!" somebody yells.

Eren's Titan roars at her as the Scouts' blades are drawn. Iris makes her move as well, making a deep cut in her palm with her sword. Green thunder bolts strike down from the sky.

Iris is engulfed in a blast on energy, her body integrating into the Aural Titan. Amidst her transformation, Hanji commands, "Everyone! Be ready to strike her down with Thunder Spears! We'll wait for Eren to give us an opening, like with Reiner! Then, kill her!"

"Kill her?" Connie whispers to himself, his eyes shaking with fear.

However, his words didn't go past Jean's ears. He nudges Connie harshly, "Hey! Don't go cowering again like that!"

"But, Jean," Sasha says with hesitancy, "it's Iris-"

"I don't care! We can only win this war and go home if we kill her! Now stop whining and do as Hanji says!"

Jean looks at Iris, and he feels his heart break again.

On the other hand, Eren didn't feel a single ounce of hesitation or sympathy for her, and instead, sprinted to the Aural with his crystallized fist, aiming for its face.

The Aural shifts to the side and delivers a powerful kick to his back. Eren crashes against a building, but is quickly back on his feet, launching his Titan's body at Iris.

Iris catches his arm in the air and twists it behind his back, pushing him harshly to the ground. Before Eren gets up, Iris grasps his Titan's hair and slams it down with force, over and over, creating cracks on the ground in the process.

He isn't fighting back. He must be getting weak from fighting Reiner, she thought.

Then, she realizes she should've kept her thoughts silent.

Eren takes her by surprise when he slams the back of his head on her face, making Iris fall back. While the Aural's still on the ground, the Attack gets on top it and pounds its heavy fists on it.

"Finish her, Eren!" Connie yells from a far.

"Shouldn't we use the spears already?" Mikasa asks, adjusting the metal pole in her arm.

"Not yet. Let Eren give us the right moment to attack," Hanji says.

Eren had both of the Aural's arms pinned to the ground, keeping its body in place, leaving Iris no choice, but to resort to another attack. Just as the Attack Titan leaned down to bite its nape, the Aural breaks out of his hold and its hands presses its ears.

Eren was met by a high-pitched ringing, piercing and bloodcurdling. He stumbles back, pressing his hands to his ears as hard as he could. The merciless ringing and pain grew stronger as long as Iris remained in control.

He couldn't do anything. Couldn't move a single muscle. It hurt too much.

Then, suddenly, the shrieking was over. The world had suddenly gone mute. No. He's wrong. His ears did.

It was like last time, when Iris had screamed and she had left everyone with a terrible ringing in their ears, capable of stripping away their hearing.

He couldn't even listen to his own cry for help, and before he knew it, Iris' sharp claws pierced his eyes, blinding him. Mikasa, who hid with the others behind the houses, gripped her swords harder.

"What's she doing to him?"

"It's like she's using sound waves to hurt him," Armin says, feeling incredibly guilty of finding Iris' abilities captivating. He couldn't help himself. He has never seen a Titan with such powers.

Beside him, Sasha tilts her head, dumbfounded by his theory. "Sound waves? How can she do that?"

"Last time, when the Commander brought the horde of Titans to Reiner, I remember Iris putting her hands on the ground and creating these powerful earthquakes. I also recall feeling this horrible ringing in my ears, and I'm sure you all felt it too, given how some were even bleeding from the pain. After that, we all went through a temporary deafness," he explains, all pairs of eyes on him, "I think she's doing the same to Eren. She can manipulate sound and use it to her advantage."

"I see... Shame. Man, I would kill to get a chance to study it," Hanji says with lament, earning weird looks from everyone, especially Moblit.

Mikasa turns to Armin again. "Well, what will happen to Eren?"

Armin was about to respond, but he was cut off by a loud noise.

Iris' Titan had kicked Eren, making his body land sideways. The perfect opportunity for her to bite him out of his nape and end the battle.

Just as she kneels in front of him, Eren moves from beneath and cages her Titan's head in a headlock with his thighs. Iris squirms, desperately wanting to break free, but it was no use.

With one arm and her head pinned down by his weight, Eren takes her other arm and starts pulling it as hard as he could, eventually, ripping it off her body without mercy.

Iris feels a wave of unbearable pain. It was electrifying. Her body grew weaker as the second passed, but she couldn't give up. She promised them. She promised herself.

She finds the energy to slip her left over arm to punch Eren's abdomen, pounding on his ribs. Eren looses his grip slightly and it was enough for Iris to break free, rising to her feet in no time, but her happiness was stripped away when she hears something.

Wires. Explosions. Voices. The Scouts were near, yet not close enough to the eye. And suddenly.

"Now! Strike her!"

Two soldiers reveal themselves, maneuvering around her body and deploying the metal poles they carried, aiming for her knees, but Iris was much faster than them. Her Titan screams, its power so immense it created a barrier between her and the spears, blocking the explosion mid-air and blowing up the soldiers in the process.

That didn't stop the Scouts, instead, they all prepared for a second attack. That, until Iris hears the Armored Titan's cry. Her head snaps in Reiner's direction, watching as he roars uncontrollably, as though he were using his last will to signal something.

No. Someone, actually.

She knew what his scream meant. It was his call for Bertholdt. The signal.

Hurriedly, Iris comes out of her Titan's nape and is greeted by the giant clouds of hot steam. She looks up, searching for any sign, and then, she sees it. A barrel, flying through the sky at an unbelievable speed.

Bertholdt.

She needs to run.

"Look, she came out of her nape! Now's the chance!" A soldier yells.

"Wait! That was a call for Bertholdt! Look!" Armin protests, pointing at the sky, "The Colossal is coming our way! If we don't move, we'll get blasted!"

"Shit! Hanji curses. "Everyone! Get as far away as possible!"

As the Scouts fled for their lives, Iris separates herself from her Titan, ignoring the angry red marks on her face, and making her way over to Reiner. He was barely capable of healing himself, most of his head blown off by the Scouts. Her hand touches his shoulder.

"Reiner," she calls gently, despite the utter fear she was feeling, "we need to go. You need to move. Wake up... please."

Out of the sudden, Bertholdt appears next to her. His face goes pale when he sees Reiner's state. He kneels down to meet Iris.

"Bertholdt?" she blinks confusedly. He was just in the air, planning to blow everyone and everything to death. What is he doing here?

He does his best to remain composed. "How's he doing?"

"Not good," she says, "Pulse is weak, but he's there. He must've transferred his conscious to his nervous system as a last resort... To think they cornered him like that."

"Reiner... listen to me. I need you to move a little... If you can't... I'm sorry, but you'll have to prepare for the worst," Bertholdt sighs, a sorrowful look in his eyes. He turns to Iris. "You should get away too. Find a place to hide, or you'll get caught in the explosion."

"What about Reiner? I can't just leave him here."

Bertholdt places his hand on her shoulder, squeezing it softly, "If you carry him, it'll slow you both down. Leave while you still have energy. I'll buy you some time."

She frowns. "What will you do?"

"I'll talk."

With that, he leaves, zooming off to the direction the Scouts took. Iris looks at Reiner. She throws her arms around him, hugging him for what all she knew could be the last time. The hot steam was burning her face but she didn't care.

"I don't know if you can hear me, but if you are, hang on a little more. We'll be home soon."

Wasting no more time, Iris jumps off the Armored's shoulder and dashes through Shiganshina's streets, soon landing on the church she used to hide in. She hopes it was far enough to avoid getting burned to death.

She stood next to the church bell, her eyes staying alert for any sudden appearances, and then, she feels it.

Her heart. Pumping. Throbbing against her chest. She gasps as the air is suddenly hard to inhale, her breaths becoming dangerously short. She leans against the wall, hoping it would stabilize her heart and growing dizziness, but it only made her knees go numb.

She groans as her body thumps on the harsh concrete, and she knew what was going to happen next. The world is spinning, a crushing pressure in her chest, distorted noises in her ears. She will faint soon enough and this aching pain will be gone, but she can't allow it.

Weakly, Iris' hand squirms inside her pants' pockets, roaming until they grab the syringe she kept with her. It was her reward for her kind favors, according to Zeke. Sedatives, the only thing that prevents her heart from killing her and takes away her pain.

Just as she starts to bring the needle to her arm, her chest throbs atrociously. Iris cries, and her hand loses grip of the syringe, watching as it rolls away from her.

"S-Shit...," she mumbles, tears running down her cheeks.

She couldn't find the strength to move nor breathe anymore. Then, her eyelids became heavy, slowly closing from exhaustion, but before Iris falls into darkness, a faint light blinks at her. An explosion.

Bertholdt transformed.

Then, the darkness consumes her.

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

5.1k words

NOTE:
I don't even know why this chapter was so hard to write 😭 probably because of the Titan fighting scenes

Next chapter will include a true insight of Jean's thoughts of seeing Iris again, stay tuned :)

Let me know your thoughts about how the story is going or any other comment <333

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.6K 2.2K 24
*ੈ✩‧₊˚ ❝𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗺𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗹𝘂𝗶𝗱 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗲𝗱 𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗽𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼...
54.6K 518 11
THIS STORY HAS BEEN PERMENANTLY DISCONTINUED! * * * * * I DO NOT OWN ATTACK ON TITAN OR ANY OF THESE CHARACTERS! Mature content I apologize i...
113K 4.9K 53
❝ 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙖𝙬 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙤𝙬𝙣 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨. 𝙞 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙠𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙝𝙚𝙧.❞ 2021 | © ʜᴀᴊɪᴍᴇ ɪsᴀʏᴀᴍᴀ © ɪᴀᴍʀɪᴄᴇᴜ