Farmeed / One-shot Series

By YaamiThinksNot

A series of separate, made up scenarios for Farjaad and Umeed. Sharing a little piece of my brainriot with yo... More

~ a dreamy proposal ~
~ a shopping saga ~
~"ye mera office hai"~
~taaron se karein baatein~
~ a disaster date? ~
~ a disaster date 2 ~
~ holding on and letting go ~
~ home is wherever I'm with you ~
~ twinning, or maybe not~
~chai aur ice-cream?~
~ a cliched date night~
~choti choti khushyaan~
~ one ring is all it takes ~
~ late mornings and celebrations ~
~ chitta kukkar baneray te ~
~it's just a game~
~ through thick and thin ~
~ an unwanted dinner ~
~ loving can hurt? ~
~ pretty little lies ~
~ we're a team, right? ~
~ we're a great team! ~
~ the realities of life ~
~ our little fairytale ~
~ you're my medicine ~
~ hello, welcome home~
~ starry night~

~ happy anniversary ~

1.3K 68 67
By YaamiThinksNot

Farjaad opened the door of the house and it was eerily quiet. He was expecting a big party with both the families, like it had been the case the last two years. The families loved celebrating their love with all splendour. Three years had passed in a blink of an eye. Yet, simultaneously, Farjaad had never as calm as he had in these three years. His life had always been a non-stop grind. He never allowed himself the luxury of pausing and taking a breath. 

Umeed forced him to breathe. 

Every day, every moment that he spent with her, there was a unique passion for living to the fullest and enjoying all the beautiful gifts life had to give. Farjaad hadn't felt at peace the way he did ever since Umeed entered his life. All their loved ones saw that too. Everyone could see how these two were the last pieces of each other's jigsaw puzzles - fitting perfectly and completing the picture.

Umeed had added colors into his life. She had shown him that there was so much worth living for. She made him understand how life may take something away, but give so much more in return. She had shown him how good it felt to give yourself a break and allow yourself the margin of being human, of erring, of enjoying and of learning. 

While Farjaad added a unique stability into Umeed's life. She had always been a smart girl with a solution to every problem. All she needed was some support and a proper direction. Farjaad provided her with just that. He always gave her the support she needed in her decisions - silent and vocal. Rather than brushing her ideas away, he would always sit down with her and work them out perfectly to make them possible. 

They completed each other's life. 

Farjaad kept peeping into the rooms as he walked toward the living room. He was expecting everyone to be here, waiting for him like they always did, but he did not see anyone. 

Once he reached the living room, he saw the dimmed lights and the cake on the centre table, surrounded by petals. Candles were nicely arranged around the cake. Smiling, he walked towards the table. 

His eyebrows scrunched up seeing an simply decorated envelope placed right next to the cake.  Umeed had a habit of placing cute notes around. She had a way with words, which Farjaad found very amusing. She would often leave him tiny messages on his bed side table or under his perfume bottles when she wanted him to fulfil a wish, or she wanted to apologise without actually having to say it out loud. He found it endearing. 

As he opened the envelope and pulled the paper out, his heart momentarily stopped beating. His breath was caught in his throat and he felt the earth beneath his feet disappear.

He read it once. 

Then he read it again. 

He kept reading it over and over again till his eyes welled up with tears.

He looked up and saw that Umeed had entered the living room and was observing his reaction with a faint smile on her face. Her round eyes staring at him intently, and the moment they met with his, she began crying too. 

Farjaad took small steps towards her. It all felt like a dream. He thought he would wake up any moment. He was scared if he moved too fast or made one wrong move, it would all vanish. 

He stood right in front of her, she was staring up at him with tear-filled, hopeful eyes. She waited for him to say something, not realising that he was at a loss for words. 

He raised the paper in front of her. 

"Umeed, ye sach hai?"

He gulped. As if a part of him feared that it would be a prank she had pulled. His voice was low and cautious - like he wasn't allowing himself be overwhelmed by emotion just yet. 

Umeed slowly nodded in response. Farjaad closed his eyes and muttered a small "Alhamdulilah" before he opened his eyes again. Tears streaming down his face this time as he wrapped his arms around her waist, putting his face in the nook of her neck. Umeed felt his tears running down her dress. She knew the fabric would be affected, but she couldn't bring herself to care. She threw her arms around his neck, her own tears ruining his shirt. Moments passed as they stood there. 

Farjaad finally broke off the hug, as he placed his forehead on hers. His hand gently cupping her face. Umeed's hand was running in his hair. 

"Thank you, Umeed. Thank you so so much. Aaj mujhe lag raha hai meri zindagi waqaye muqammal ho gayi hai. Aur ye sab tumhari wajah se hua hai. Thank you for coming into my life."

He hadn't realised when the paper dropped from his hand. The hospital report which marked a new chapter in their lives. 

"Happy anniversary, Farjaad."

~ 3 months later ~

"Good morning"

Umeed was woken up to a glass of fresh juice handed over to her by him. She could never grasp how she got so lucky with this man. He felt straight out of a dream. He had always been a doting husband, making sure all her wishes were fulfilled even before they left her mouth, but for the past three months, he had gone beyond his own standards. 

He would make sure the smallest of details were according to Umeed's comfort - from the temperature of the air conditioning to the placement of the cushions in the room. All Umeed had to do was poke him once in the middle of the night, and he would get up and drive her to have ice cream, chai or chaat  - regardless of the time. He had been going to office surviving on barely any sleep, coming home early, and managing his meetings and deals according to her appointments at the doctor's. 

Umeed had told him again and again to not get himself so worked up, but he always had the same response, "sab kuch to tum kar rahi ho, at least mujhe itna to karnay do". Umeed really felt like she was living a dream. Everything about this man was out of a fairytale, and she always took out time in her day to say a prayer of gratitude for his presence in her life.

"Farjaad, aaj dil bilkul nahi kar raha. Please."

"Dil kar raha ho, ya na kar raha ho, peena to aap ko paray ga begum sahiba."

"Please naaa, meri tabyat kharab ho jaye gi. Phir aap khud to chalay jayein gay mujhe chor ke aur mein sara din bemaar rahoon gi."

Farjaad bit his lip to stop the smile forming on his face. This was a daily occurrence - he would bring Umeed juice or milk, she would repeat the same set of dialogues. He had figured out how to deal with it. 

He walked over to the bed and sat down next to her. 

"Theek hai, ye na peeyo, mein doodh ka glass le aata hoon. Badam wala doodh banwaaon?"

Umeed practically gagged at the thought. 

"Aur saath mein nashtay mein paratha banwa deta hoon, hmm?"

Hearing all of these things made her want to vomit. 

"Nahi?"

She innocently shook her head. 

"Acha, phir wo jo aagu jaan ne bheja hai bana ke, kya naam tha, haan, panjeeri, wo la doon?"

Umeed furiously shook her head. Farjaad held back a chuckle as he saw her pick the glass of juice from the side table and drink it, and take a bite out of the toasted bread he had gotten her. 

"Yehi theek hai, mein yehi kha loon gi."

"Shabash. Ab mein change karnay ja raha hoon, mere aanay tak ye nashta khatam ho jana chahiye. Okay?"

"Okay."

He smiled at her as he lightly patted her cheek and left. Umeed stared at his retreating back, the smile on her face getting wider as she sipped on her juice.

Farjaad returned soon, this time in his office attire as he went through his daily routine of spraying his cologne and putting his tie on. Umeed got out of bed and walked towards him. Farjaad turned to face him, familiar with the next steps. He lowered himself slightly to meet Umeed's level, as her hands expertly tied his knot and making the final push to secure it tightly. 

With her hand still holding on to his tie, she pulled him down slightly, bringing his face to match her level, and placed a quick kiss on his lips. Farjaad crashed her lips into hers again for a longer kiss, making Umeed grin. 

"Acha ab jayein bhi, late ho rahay hein aap."

"Kya karoon, dil hi nahi kar raha janay ko."

"Uff, jaldi karein, mene bhi nikalna hai phir abhi tayyar ho kar."

"Okay, but apna buhat sara khyaal rakhna, stay hydrated, zyada - "

"Zyada ghoomna phirna nahi, kisi bhi cheez ki zarorat ho to call kar dena aur jitna jaldi ho sakay waapis aa jana. Aur kuch?"

He laughed lightly. 

"Haan aik aur cheez"

"Farmaiye"

"I love you."

"Hmm, WE love you too."

She said back as she placed a hand on her slightly showing belly. Farjaad gasped. He was not expecting this, but his shock soon turned into a wide grin, as he placed her hand on hers, and looked deep into her eyes, planting one last kiss on her cheek before leaving. 

~ 4 months later ~

Mobility was getting harder and harder with every passing day. She often found herself tired out of her mind and getting cranky over the smallest of things. Yet, Farjaad's support was making it all bearable. She realised fully well that her emotions fluctuated at the speed of light, but he was still making sure to be patient and supportive. 

The past few days, though, she could feel him being more absent-minded and distracted. He was still making sure she was okay, but she could sense his mind was stuck somewhere else. She looked on from the balcony and saw him sitting on the bench leading to the garden, his laptop in front of him, but he wasn't working on it. He was simply staring at it, his head in his hands. 

She made her way downstairs, pulling her cardigan closer to her body. The early November winds were getting chilly. Slowly making her way to the bench where he was seated, she sat down next to him. 

"Aray Umeed, kuch chahiye tha? Mujhe call kar deti. Khud kyun aa gayi?"

"Kya ho gaya hai, taangein hein mere paas. Chalnay phirnay ke qaabil hoon mein. Aap ne to mujhe mazoor hi samajh liya hai."

She chuckled, but Farjaad did not find her comment the slightest bit funny. 

"Taubah karo Umeed, aisi fazool baat ainda munn se na nikalna!"

"Mazaaq kar rahi thi."

"Buhat hi bekaar mazaaq tha."

Silence took over them, as Umeed kept observing him closely. He was clearly tired and worried. The vein popping on his forehead and the crinkles next to his eyes were giving it away. 

She gently placed her hand over his, making him look at her. 

"Farjaad, kuch hua hai kya?"

"Uh, nahi to. Kya hona tha? Kuch bhi nahi hua."

"Aap ko jhoot bolna bilkul nahi aata. Ab batayein, kya cheez pareshan kar rahi hai aap ko?"

"Aray Umeed, koi pareshani nahi hai. Tumhein aisay hi ghalat lag raha hai."

"Farjaad, mujhe dunya ki har cheez ke baaray mein ghalat fehmi ho sakti hai, aap ke baaray mein nahi."

He looked into her awaiting eyes, before looking away. He could not stress her out. He had been trying his best to keep every tension away from her, he couldn't go ahead and dump his own emotions on her.

Umeed shifted closer to him and cupped his face in her hand, making him look at her. 

"Farjaad, meri taraf dekhein. Mujhe pata hai aap pichlay saat maheenay se kya kar rahay. Aap har pareshani, har baat mujh se chupatay hein taakay mein tension na loon. Aap ko lagta hai mujhe samajh nahi aata?"

He gulped. 

"Ab meri baat sunein ghor se, mein bilkul theek hoon. Aap ne ye pura process mere liye itna asaan kiya hai jitna possibly ho sakta hai, aur is ke liye I'm grateful to you. Par meri pregnancy ka matlab ye nahi hai ke aap akelay hi apni tensions ke saath deal karein. Hum donon aik doosray ki pareshani kam karnay ke liye hein na? Ye kesay fair hua ke aap to mere liye asaaniyan paida karein, par mein aap ke liye na karoon. Hmm?"

"Umeed yaar, koi aisi baat nahi hai, bas mujhe, mujhe darr lagta hai kabhi kabhi"

"Darr? Kis cheez se?"

"Mein buhat buhat khush hoon yaar, zindagi ka ye naya chapter tumharay saath shuru karnay ke baaray mein. Par kabhi kabhi lagta hai ke what if I'm not able to do it? Agar mein aik acha baap na ban saka to? What if I fail?"

"Aisa kyun lagta hai aap ko?"

"Pata nahi. Agar mein buhat strict ho gaya to? Tumhein pata to hai mein apnay principles aur discipline ko le kar kitna stern ho jata hoon. Mein nahi chahta mera bacha mujh se khaufzada rahay."

"Farjaad, aap bilkul bhi aisay nahi hon gay, mujhe pata hai."

"Nahi Umeed, agar mein - agar mein Pasha sahab jesa ban gaya, to?"

Umeed bit her quivering lip. 

"Unhon ne bhi to kuch jaan kar nahi kiya tha na, par tum aaj tak un se darti ho."

Umeed placed her hand on his, her other hand gripping his face tightly. 

"Farjaad, baba ke aisay honay ke peeche kuch aur reasons thay. Wo hamesha se aisay nahi thay."

"Haan, par agar mein shuru se aisa hua to? Ya aagay ja kar ho gaya? Mujhe apni is routine ki obsession se darr sa lagnay laga hai. Jis tarah mein tumhein is ke liye itna time majboor karta raha, agar mene -"

"Farjaad, aap ne aaj tak mujhe kisi cheez ke liye majboor nahi kiya. Na jaldi uthnay ke liye, na raat ko jaldi sonay ke liye. Mein jo karti hoon, apni marzi se karti hoon. Majboor karnay wali ability aap mein hai hi nahi."

"Baap to role models hotay hein na, Umeed? Someone kids look up to? Mujhe abhi tak baba ki baatein, un ke actions itni achi tarah yaad hein. Wo kesay chaltay thay, kesay boltay thay, mene har us cheez ko replicate karnay ki koshish ki hamesha. Baap to wo insaan hota hai na jis ke saaye mein bachay ko apna aap mehfooz mehsoos ho, baap superhero hota hai na. Umeed, mujh mein to wo qaabliyat nahi hai. Mein superhero nahi ban sakta."

"Idher dekhein meri taraf."

She held his face by both of her hands, he thumb running circles on his cheeks gently. 

"Aap hero hein! Aap ko andaza bhi hai ke aap kitnay khaas hein? Farjaad, aap saath hotay hein na, to mujhe kabhi bhi, kisi cheez ka khauf nahi hota. Mujhe pata hota hai ke aap sambhaal lein gay. Aap ko pata hai, jab mein shuru shuru mein aap se mili thi na, muhabbat  honay se buhat pehle ki baat hai, mein tab bhi Haya ko kehti thi ke mujhe darr lagta hai ke mera impression aap ke saamnay kharab na ho jaye. Mein ghussay mein bhi us ko kehti thi ke Farjaad itna suljha hua, itna sorted insaan hai, ke mujhe apna aap us ke saamna bewaqoof lagta hai."

She let out a small chuckle as he mind went back to the early days. 

"Aap ko pata hai, tab bhi, mein na chahtay hue aap ki aadaton ko, aap ke actions ko follow karnay ki koshish karti thi. Farjaad waqt ki pabandi kartay hein, mujhe bhi karni chahiye. Farjaad mehnat kartay hein, mujhe bhi karni chahiye. Aap ke khyaal mein mein baar baar apnay jhootay na honay ki wazahatein kyun deti thi? Is liye kyun ke mein aap ke sachay honay se mutaasir thi. Aap jesa ban'na chahti thi. Jin baaton pe baahir baahir se aap ko bura kehti thi na, dil se un sab qualities ki izzat karti thi mein, hamesha se."

Farjaad's eyebrows furrowed at all of this, he never knew this is how she felt. 

"Aap ko andaza bhi nahi hai ke aap ki shaksiyat kitni khoobsurat, kitni mutasir-kun hai. Aap ko kisi ko majboor karnay ki koi zaroorat hai hi nahi, log khud ba-khud aap se impress ho jatay hein. Aur jab baaqi sab ka ye haal hai, to aap ki aulad ko to aap ke ilawa kisi aur misaal ki kabhi zaroorat paray gi hi nahi. Un ko apnay baap ki shakal mein dunya ka behtareen insaan milay ga."

"Ye sab tum mujhe behtar feel karanay ke liye keh rahi ho na?"

She shook her head. 

"Mein sach keh rahi hoon. Aap ko andaza nahi hai, par aap se zyada khoobsurat insaan mene apni zindagi mein nahi dekha. Aur aap se behtar baap koi ho hi nahi sakta. Haan, aap disciplined hein, magar aap maza karna aur karana bhi jaantay hein. Haan, jahan ghalti ho gi, wahan aap daantein gay, magar aap se zyada pyaar nichawar karnay wala koi nahi ho sakta. Aap ko sudhaarna aata hai, to aap ko rajj pe bigaarna bhi aata hai, jesay aap ne mujhe bigaara hua hai."

Umeed giggled, making him laugh too. 

"Hmm, aap ko kuch zyada hi bigaar diya hai mene, haina?"

"Bilkul, bigaar to diya hai. Aadatein kharab kar di hein aap ne meri, ab bhugtein."

Farjaad smiled at her. A whole-hearted smile. He took a deep breath as he looked at the woman sitting in front of her. 

"Thank you, Umeed. Meri zindagi mein aanay ke liye."

 "Ye khaali thank you nahi chalay ga. Chalein, ice cream khilanay le kar chalein mujhe."

"Umeed, thand ho rahi hai, mein koi ice cream nahi khelanay le ke ja raha!"

"Acha to ice cream ke saath hi garam garam chai bhi pi lein gay, please naa"

"Umeed!"

"Farjaad!"

"Bemaar ho jao gi."

"Aik ice cream se kon bemaar hota hai? Chalein, uthein."

With that she pulled him up by the collar of his shirt and dragged him along with her to the car. 

~ A month and a half later ~

Farjaad was woken up in the middle of the night by loud screaming. His system began functioning on auto mode as he rushed out of bed, picked up the baby bag they had already prepared thanks to his precautionary steps, and helped Umeed to the car. He did not have time to wake Niggo up to inform her, getting Umeed to the hospital was far more important. 

He had been driving independently for over a decade, yet at that point it felt like the hardest thing to do. No matter how fast he drove, it was not quick enough. His hands were shaking, his heart was about to burst out of his chest and he felt like he would crash the car out of tension. 

Umeed's painful screams from the backseat were making him want to cry. He could not bear seeing her in pain. He wished to be able to give the world in order to switch places with her, and bear the pain on her behalf. He wanted to do anything he could to help ease her pain, but he was unable to do anything. All he could do was utter words of encouragement, all of which were met with painful screaming and occasional curses. 

"Umeed meri jaan, bas ye dekho puhanchnay lagay hein, 5 minute bilkul."

He had already called the doctor and asked her to prepare everything. He liked to believe he was a rational. composed man, but at that moment he felt like the stupidest person alive. He had no idea what to do. 

And then it happened. 

The car came to a sudden halt. 

"Farjaad, ye kya hai? Yahan kyun rukay hein?"

"Gaari ko kuch ho gaya hai, rukko mein dekhta hoon."

"IS WAQT? Check kar ke nahi la saktay thay?"

"Koi chota sa masla ho ga, bas do minute meri jaan. Abhi sahi ho jaye ga."

 As he walked out of the car to check, he wanted to bang his head on the nearby tree. The front tyre of the car was flattened out. He ran a hand through his hair out of frustration, unable to understand how he let this happen today out of all days. He had a habit of checking all tyres before getting the car out on the road, how could he have forgotten today?

"Farjaad! Kya hua hai?"

"Uhh kuch nahi wo - "

"Wo kya Farjaad? Jaldi karein!"

"Umeed tyre puncture ho gaya hai, wo -"

"KYA? Farjaad do minute ke andar andar masla hal karein warna mene aap ka puncture nikaal dena hai!"

He wanted to cry. He could see how troubling this was for her. There was not enough time to call another car from home, that would take too long. 

He began to search for a riskshaw on the road while cursing himself for not keeping ride-hailing apps in his phone. It was 3 am on a weekday. The amount of vehicles on the road on this side of the city were next to none. He was in the middle of calculating how long it would take him to change the tyre, while continuously praying for a miracle when a car stopped right in front of his car. 

He gulped. His mind going back to the night they were mugged. He was too scared to turn around and look, when he heard a voice. 

"Jee kya masla hai?"

It was oddly familiar. He turned around to be faced with S.H.O Mohsin and his team. Farjaad rarely believed in modern day miracles, but that was exactly what this felt like. Farjaad let out a breath he had been holding for way too long. 

"Zaahir hai, aap ke ilawa aur kon ho sakta hai. Bataiye Farjaad sahab, is baar kya masla hai?"

S.H.O Moshin crossed his arms over his chest, an eyebrow raised as he looked at Farjaad with amusement. 

"Shukar hai sir aap hein, buhat baray maslay mein hoon sir, aap madad kar dein gay to saari zindagi aap ka ehsaan rahay ga."

"Aap log kab maslay mein nahi hotay? Aur wo aap ki begum sahiba nahi hein aap ke saath aaj?"

"Sir wohi to - "

"FARJAAD! AUR INTEZAAR NAHI HO SAKTA. KUCH KAREIN!"

He could hear her crying out loud from the backseat, making him run towards her in an instance as he held her hand from the window. 

"Umeed dekho, SHO uncle aaye hein, wo madad karein gay hamari."

Umeed's eyes shone with hope as she looked at the police officer. 

"Mujhe aap masla batayein gay to mein madad karoon ga na."

Farjaad walked back towards him.

"Sir asal mein Umeed pregnant hai. Us ki due date to abhi do haftay baad thi, par aaj aik dam se labor pains shuru ho gayein. Jaldi jaldi mein ghar se niklay to khyaal hi nahi raha, gaari ka tyre puncture ho gaya hai. Rikshaw mil nahi raha aur doosri gaari mangwanay mein buhat time lag jaye ga."

SHO turned to look at Umeed who was screaming with pain and taking deep breaths to calm herself down. 

"Theek hai theek hai, aap ayein hamaray saath, hum le chaltay hein hospital."

Farjaad was so overwhelmed with emotions that he didn't even realise when he threw his arms around Mohsin, giving him a tight hug. 

"Thank you so so much. Ye ehsaan aap ka kabhi nahi bhoolon ga."

Getting Umeed into the police van was an exercise in itself, but they managed. SHO Mohsin left behind two officers to replace the car tyre and bring it to the hospital, while he himself sat in the front seat, leaving Farjaad and Umeed with the lady constable at the back. 

Farjaad held Umeed's hand in his tightly, while she continued to dig her nails into his palm in an effort to distract herself. 

"Umeed meri jaan, bas dekho thora sa sabar aur. You got this, you're a strong girl!"

"Aap hotay na meri jagah to mein aap se poochti sabar karna kitna asaan hai. Insaan mar jaye par kisi mard ki aulaad na paida karay!"

The lady constable let out a small chuckle at her statement. 

"Mene bhi pehle bachay ki baar yehi bola tha apnay shohar ko, ke ainda tum mujhe haath laga ke dikhao, kaat ke phenk doon gi."

They both turned to look at her.

"Phir? Aik hi bacha hai aap ka?"

"Aray nahi, Ma Sha Allah se teen hein. Aik beta, do betiyan. Tum bhi jab apni aulaad ko apni goad mein uthao gi na, to ye saari takleef bhool jaao gi."

"Aap ki buhat himmat hai, mein to nahi karoon gi ye dobara, chahay aulaad jitni bhi pyaari ho jaye. Mein aap ko warn kar rahi hoon Farjaad Khan, ainda nahi ho ga ye sab!"

"Acha theek hai meri jaan, ainda nahi ho ga."

"Ye meri jaan, meri jaan keh kar hi is maslay mein daala hai aap ne mujhe. Shadeed chirr ho rahi hai mujhe aap se, door hatein."

Umeed pushed him away as she scooted over towards the lady constable and held her hand, while she kept saying words of encouragement to Umeed and kept talking to her to keep her distracted. 

Ten minutes later, they arrived at the hospital, where a stretcher and staff were already waiting for them as Farjaad had been in constant contact with them to ensure everything would be ready. As they put Umeed on the stretcher and began taking her to the labour room, she did not leave Farjaad's hand even once, all her words from the van vanishing into thin air. 

As they were about to take her in, asking Farjaad to wait outside, Umeed looked at him, suddenly feeling very scared. 

"Farjaad."

"Jee meri jaan? Yaheen hoon mein."

"Agar mujhe kuch ho gaya to?"

"Tumhein kuch bhi nahi ho ga, Umeed."

He placed a hand on her cheek tenderly. 

"Agar mujhe kuch ho gaya to waada karein ke aap is bachay ko buhat buhat pyaar dein gay. Waada karein Pasha sahab ki tarah nahi karein gay."

The tears in her eyes grew bigger, and Farjaad felt a piercing pain in his heart. He kneeled down and dropped a quick kiss on her forehead. 

"Umeed, tum se zyada mazboot insaan mene aaj tak nahi dekha. Tumhein kuch bhi nahi ho ga. You're a warrior."

He dropped another quick kiss and gave her hand a tight squeeze as the doctor announced that they had to hurry. Farjaad walked back to the waiting room and leaned against the wall, saying all prayers that he knew. 

SHO Moshin was still there as he placed a hand on Farjaad's shoulder.

"Ye chand ghentay baray mushkil hotay hein. Aurat ko to Allah ne bara mazboot banaya hai, wo to itni takleef bardasht kar jaati hai, hamaray liye to ye intezaar hi jaan lewa hota hai."

"Agar us ko ya bachay ko kuch ho gaya, to?"

He didn't know why he was being so vulnerable in front of the SHO, but he couldn't hold himself. He was feeling too overwhelmed. He had already informed both families, but it would take them some time to get her. Speaking his heart out to Mohsin just felt right for some odd reason. He was essentially family at this point anyway. 

"Allah par yaqeen nahi hai aap ko Farjaad sahab?"

"Allah par yaqeen to hai, bas darr lag raha hai"

"Us zaat par yaqeen rakh ke bhi yunn darna kuch samajh mein nahi aaya. Insaan ka dil jab sab se zyada ghabra raha ho aur us maamlay mein wo kuch na kar sakta ho, to us hasti ke saamnay khud ko paish kar denay se behtar koi hal nahi hota. Duaa karo."

Farjaad smiled at him. He was more grateful for his support than words could convey. 

"Aur Allah ke baad apni biwi par yaqeen rakho. Aap ki begum sahiba koi aam insaan nahi hein, bari mazboot hein. Fikar na karo beta, kuch nahi ho ga."

SHO gave him a pat on his shoulder.

"Thank you SHO sir - "

"Tum mujhe Mohsin uncle keh saktay ho beta, ab formality ki gunjaish banti nahi hai hamaray darmiyan."

Farjaad smiled through his tears.

"Thank you Moshin uncle! Aap ne hamesha, har mushkil waqt mein hamara saath diya hai. Kabhi kabhi lagta hai Allah ne aap ko farishta bana ke bheja hai."

"Khuda zameen par insaanon ko farishtay nahi, waseelay bana kar bhejta hai. Mujhe aaj yahan hi hona tha tum logon ke liye. Ab tum ye sab baatein choro, aur jao ja ke duaa karo. Sab behtar ho ga, In Sha Allah."

"Sahi keh rahay hein aap, Allah ne waqaye aap ko waseela bana ke bheja hai."

"Mujhe ab ijazat do, mujhe patrolling pe jana hai. Haan par achi khabar ka intezaar karoon ga mein. Aur mithayi ka bhi."

Farjaad chuckled as he nodded, tears of gratitude in his eyes. As the SHO walked out, Farjaad went to the hospital's prayer room and cried his eyes out as he prayed for Umeed and the child's safety. 

~

Farjaad thought he had a plan for everything life threw at him. He thought he was always well prepared. But nothing could have ever prepared him for this moment. No amount of planning could help him understand how he was supposed to react in this situation. 

"Mubarak ho, beti hui hai. Ma aur bacha donon khairiyat se hein, un ko room mein shift kar rahay hein thori dair mein, phir aap mil lijiye ga."

They had mutually decided to keep the baby's sex a surprise for themselves. Farjaad had always hoped for a little girl, with eyes like Umeed's. For eight long months he had braced himself for this moment, but now he did not know how to react. 

Everyone around him was congratulating him, but his brain refused to register anything. He couldn't stop the tears that kept falling down his face. Despite holding on to the wall next to him, he almost collapsed to the ground. 

When he walked into the room where Umeed was sleeping in bed, her face pale and her body drained, he felt like he was living in a dream. His eyes darted towards the small cot next to the bed, every step he took towards it was calculated. Before he let himself get to the cot and see the baby, he stopped by Umeed's bed and looked at her intently. 

He leaned down to drop a kiss on her forehead as he gently grabbed her hand in his, running circles on it. 

"Thank you, Umeed."

He whispered. His touch and voice made Umeed shift slightly as her eyes opened. 

"So jao, Umeed. Araam se so jao."

"Farjaad.."

She barely managed to get out as she tried to sit up straight, wincing in pain. 

"Aik second rukko."

He adjusted the pillows for her and helped her sit up slightly. 

"Aap ne dekha hai us ko?"

He shook his head.

"Kyun?"

"Darr lag raha hai."

He chuckled

"Darr?"

She laughed slightly too. 

"Haan na, first impression ho ga us pe mera, agar us ko mein pasand na aaya phir?"

Umeed laughed, before realising it wasn't a good idea as her back began hurting. 

"Taubah, kitnay baray dramaybaaz hein aap."

"Aik aur bhi wajah thi."

"Hmm, wo kya?"

"Mein chah raha tha hum donon saath dekhein."

Umeed smiled at him, her eyes welling up with tears at the thought of the new and most important part of their life, lying right there, waiting for them to embrace her.

She nodded slowly, making Farjaad get up and walk to the cot. As he looked down, his entire world stopped. He couldn't breathe anymore. 

There she was. Wrapped up in a soft yellow blanket. His little bundle of sunshine, right there in front of him. He thought he had seen a complete world all his life, but he was wrong. It was only now that his universe felt complete. He didn't even know there was a missing element right before this moment. 

As he bent down, his strong, built arms trembled while he picked up the little child. He stared and stared for countless moments before walking back to the bed and handing her over to Umeed, who began crying the instant she saw her. 

"Farjaad?"

"Hmm?"

"Ye, ye hamari beti hai?"

With tears filling his own eyes, he nodded. 

"Haan, hamari beti hai."

"Ye sab waqaye sach hai?"

She looked into his eyes, her mind drifting back to the first night she sat inside his car. The first time she looked into the deep brown eyes of his. The sternness of that night was replaced with love and compassion. 

"Ye waqaye sach hai, Umeed."

Her lips broke out into a grin, even as the tears kept flowing down her face. 

Just then the door opened, the entire family walking in. Umeed's grin grew wider as she saw Haya and Pasha sahab. Niggo walked over to Umeed, giving her a kiss on her forehead.

Umeed placed the baby in Pasha sahab's awaiting arms, his eyes welling up as he thought back to the time when he first held Umeed in these very arms. 

"Bhai, Umeed, koi naam socha hai aap logon ne?"

Umeed shook her head, and at the same moment Farjaad spoke. 

"Haan, socha hai naam"

Umeed gave him a questioning look, almost offended that he took this decision on his own.

"Hein? Kya naam socha hai?"

It was Haya this time, very excited as she stood on her tiptoes to see the baby. 

Farjaad stood up, facing the entire family. He was on one side of the bed, everyone else on the other side. Umeed kept waiting for him to speak up. He glanced towards her as he crossed his arms behind his back, standing up straight. 

"Arzu."

He spoke in a whisper, still looking directly into Umeed's eyes. He watched as her eyes widened and a gasp left her mouth. 

Looking away from her, he faced the family, a smile making its way on his face as he said with more certainty this time. 

"Arzu Farjaad Khan."

The room fell silent for a while. Everyone slowly processing his words and taking it in. Umeed's gaze shifted between Farjaad and Pasha sahab, while being unable to stop her tears. Sameer was crying too, and Umeed wanted to rush up to him and give him a tight hug. 

Aagu jaan dropped herself on the sofa, Zeenat patting her on the shoulder to give her support. Haya and Mimi exchanged looks, smiles on their faces. 

Umeed and Farjaad kept looking at Pasha sahab, awaiting his reaction. They saw how his lip quivered, how his face filled with tears and how the lips slowly turned into a smile, as he bent down and dropped a kiss on top of Arzu's head. 

"Arzu Farjaad Khan."

Pasha sahab's confirmation made everyone cheer, as he went ahead to say the azaan in her ears. Umeed was holding on to Farjaad's hand tightly, and he was more than willing to be her pillar of support. 

Always and forever. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.5K 762 25
Sequel to "never would I have thought" Francis and Arthur move in together and decide to start a family . There is a bunch of fluff in this *edited...
42K 901 77
Thank you guys for 40k+ reads. I didn't think I'd get this far.
1.7K 76 5
What happens when a lie told for the sake of good becomes true for the lifetime Our girl umeed lies about her engagement with farjaad for her protect...
7.2K 294 15
Overview- Farjaad and umeed are poles apart..Farjaad is calm,serious and a passionate business man jiske liye kaam ke alawa kuch matter nahi karta Wh...