Hopelessly Bound: Book 2 in t...

Av dilenu

Zainab Haruna's 21st birthday is a disaster. The gift from her parents is a shocking revelation that she has... Mer

Author's Note
Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 4

27 13 2
Av dilenu

Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the person you thought would never let you down. – Unknown

D

anladi's proclamation shook Zainab to her core.  

How could my life take such a drastic turn? 

Zainab's eyes drifted outside to the rolling skies and flying birds.  The heaviness in her heart prevented her from studying the history textbook open in front of her. 

It was two days after she met with Danladi and she hadn't recovered from the shock of his declaration.  

Your schooling must stop. 

Her reaction after he dropped the bomb came to mind.  

                   ★★Flashback★★

"You are my wife now. Your schooling has to stop."

Danladi's words echoed in her ears and she doubled over.  

"What do you mean?" she breathed out with wide eyes.  

"You heard me.  Your going to university has to end."

"That can't happen.  I need to get my degree." 

His eyes darkened.  "As my wife, that degree is useless because you are not allowed to work." 

Zainab's mouth opened and closed as she found herself at a loss for words.  Thoughts of all kinds raced in her mind.  A myriad of emotions surged through her.  Finally, one emotion dominated the rest.  Anger.  

She sat up straight and glared at him.  "I am not going to end my education just because I am your wife."

His eyes narrowed. "You don't have a choice." 

"Yes, I do. I can get this so-called marriage annulled." She raised her chin. 

His face morphed into a scowl and he glared at her. "You won't dare."

"Try me." She pinned him with a hard stare. 

His scowl suddenly changed to a smile. "If you attempt to annul our marriage then be rest assured you and your family will lose everything."

"Is that a threat?" Her brows rose.  

"Consider it a promise."  A smirk played on his lips.  

As she stared at him, a question popped into her mind. 

"What will you benefit from being married to me?" Her head tilted to the side.  

"Many things." He leaned back on his seat with a twinkle in his eyes. 

"Like what?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out." His smile widened.

She shook her head. "It's hopeless talking to you." 

He produced a laugh. "I will take that as a compliment." 

Zainab rolled her eyes and rose to her feet. "Suit yourself. I'm out of here." She turned to go.  

"See you soon, wifey." He snickered.  

I hope not.  Zainab thought as she walked.  

             ★★End of flashback★★

A touch on Zainab's shoulder dragged her back to the present and she looked up.  

"Oh, Amina! When did you come?" 

"A few minutes ago.  I knocked on your door several times and when you didn't answer I came in. Are you okay?" Her brows furrowed.   

"Yes, I am. I just got lost in thoughts." She turned to her abandoned textbook and sighed.  

Amina squeezed her shoulder. "Don't worry, everything will be fine.

Zainab nodded her head. "I hope so." 

She closed her books and pushed them to the side. "Did you need help with something?"

"Nope. Mom is calling you down for lunch."

"I don't feel like eating," she murmured. 

"Really? You never skip lunch."

"Well, times have changed." She shrugged her shoulders. 

"Hmm, I can't force you to eat. But at least come down and sit with us."

"I can't. I have a test to study for."

Amina scoffed. "You are avoiding us. Why is that?" 

"I am not avoiding anyone. I have been busy." 

"Okay, if you say so. But come down with me.  Please."

"Fine…" Zainab sighed and got up.  "Let's go."

"Thanks, sis." Amina beamed.  

The ladies left the room and clambered down the stairs.  Amina led Zainab to one of their living rooms where their parents sat waiting for them. 

Zainab pursed her lips. "I thought it was time for lunch.*

Amina sent her a sheepish look.  "Mom and Dad want to talk to you first." 

Zainab stilled and her heart lurched.  "What do they want to talk about?" she whispered. 

"I don't know.  Probably the reason you have been running away from us for almost two days."

Zainab released a groan. "I don't wish to talk about it," she muttered.  

"I guess you don't have much of a choice," Amina remarked as they reached the entrance of the living room.  

"Unfortunately." Her shoulders slumped.  

They entered the living room and moved to where their parents sat. The sisters sat on the couch opposite their parents.  

Zainab clasped her hands and sat with a rigid back. 

"You refuse to talk about your meeting with Danladi," her father remarked. "That shows the meeting didn't go well. Please tell us what happened?"

Zainab's eyes dimmed and her lips thinned.  Danladi's words played in her head and she grimaced.  

"He wants me to stop going to school," she whispered with downcast eyes.  

"So that's the problem?" 

"Shouldn't it be?" She looked up at her father with a wrinkled forehead.  

His eyes clouded and his brows drew together.  

"If you think about it very well, he has a point," he blurted after a long stretch of silence.  

Zainab gasped. "Do you really think I should stop my schooling?" She gaped at him.  

A frown marred his face. "It's the way of our society. A good Hausa woman should only focus on raising children and caring for her husband." 

"Seriously, Uba? We are in the 21st century." 

"Societal norms don't change with time."

Tears stung Zainab's eyes. "But we live in the modernized city of Lagos." 

He shook his head. "That doesn't change who we are." 

Zainab's heart bled as she digested the words of her father.  Her eyes drifted to her mother and she asked, "Uwa, do you also believe the same thing?"

Her mother squirmed and an unreadable expression crossed her face.  An expression akin to pain.  "All I can say is that every woman should know her place in society."

A piece of Zainab's heart chipped away and tears rushed forward.  She gaped at her parents with bewilderment. 

"Can I say something?" Amina broke the silence.

"Yes, you can," Zainab's father said.  

"Sis only has a few months left in the university so it doesn't seem nice for her to drop out when she's almost done."

Exactly!   

Zainab's father cleared his throat. "You have a point. But now, it's her husband and in-laws who can decide what she can do and not do."

"But you are her father!" Amina exclaimed in a loud voice.  

"I lost the right to make decisions for her several years ago." His voice came out low. "The Yakubus have been patient until now.  Let's not test their patience."

Snippets of their conversation flittered into Zainab's ears and her sorrow heightened. Lost in a daze, she rose to her feet and wandered out of the living room. 

Could things get any worse? She wondered. 

                         ★★★★

Ooh, don't you think Zainab's question is valid?

Could things get any worse?🤔

Do you think there are more surprises for Zainab

What do you imagine they could be?

Let your imagination run wild! 🤣

Until next time, keep dreaming!

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

23.9K 4.6K 39
"There's always light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to hold onto even the flimsiest rays of hope." _Aishatuh M Aisha Humaira, an ardent and...
137K 12.5K 58
Book one in the Dantata Series She joked about getting a husband at the wedding. He was the groom's cousin. They say some love stories start when you...
17.6K 2.2K 55
Summayyah was forced to marry the Son of Asraf she knows nothing about just for her father to get promoted. Tried all her possible way to flee with h...
230K 24K 43
"ALHAMDULILLAH. IT'S OFFICIAL. JASRAH IS NOW HASSAN'S WIFE". She felt her heart threatening to breakthrough it's ribcage. Cheers were all over the...