HTLANF AU: How to Raise Your...

By InfernoIronWings

In one universe there's Hiccup and Kala as a couple, living together happily with their three children Dart... More

Part 1 ~ Chapter 1
Part 1 ~ Chapter 2
Part 1 ~ Chapter 3
Part 1 ~ Chapter 4
Part 1 ~ Chapter 5
Part 1 ~ Chapter 6
Part 1 ~ Chapter 7
Part 2 ~ Chapter 9
Part 2 ~ Chapter 10
Part 2 ~ Chapter 11
Part 2 ~ Chapter 12
Part 2 ~ Chapter 13
Part 3 ~ Chapter 14
Part 3 ~ Chapter 15
Part 3 ~ Chapter 16
Part 3 ~ Chapter 17
Part 3 ~ Chapter 18
Part 3 ~ Chapter 19
Part 3 ~ Chapter 20
Part 4 ~ Chapter 21
Part 4 ~ Chapter 22
Part 4 ~ Chapter 23
Part 4 ~ Chapter 24
Part 4 ~ Chapter 25
Part 4 ~ Chapter 26
Part 4 ~ Chapter 27

Part 1~ Chapter 8

126 4 4
By InfernoIronWings

After the fire subsided and ash was falling from the sky like snow, Stoick gathered the courage to go search for his son.

"Hiccup! Hiccup! Son!" He shouted as he searched through the fiery air.

As the chief searched for his son, the tribe looked at him worriedly and exchanged looks of concern for their chief.

Stoick then noticed a dark silhouette in the foggy air and rushed over to it. When he got closer it was clear that the silhouette was Hiccup knocked out with his wings limply splayed around his body.

Stoick fell to his knees next to him as tears formed in his eyes, fearing that his son was gone.

"Oh son...I did this..." He said as he rested his hand on Hiccup's head.

Hiccup stirred and slowly opened his eyes then whimpered in pain and closed his eyes tightly.

Stoick let out a relieved laugh and rubbed his son's head. "Oh thank the gods! Where does it hurt, son?"

Hiccup looked at his dad whining, then to his tail. Stoick followed his line of sight and his eyes widened when he saw the state of his son's left tailfin. The tailfin was burned very badly and looked to have some tears in it from the fall.

"Oh Hiccup...don't you worry...we'll get you patched up in no time, alright..?" Stoick said as he pet his son's head comfortingly.

Hiccup purred slightly, but that quickly stopped as he passed out from the pain.

~~~HTRYNF~~~

Around two weeks had passed since the battle at the Nest and Hiccup was still unconscious, but somehow he ended up in his hybrid form a couple days after the fight.

Life on Berk changed for the better though. Vikings and dragons were finally living in peace. Many Vikings were learning how to ride dragons and there were even areas throughout the village where dragons could stop for a meal.

Toothless and Kala were able to walk about the village and play together without everyone freaking out once a week had passed, but Toothless was only ever in his human form when Astrid or Stoick was with him. It was safer that way since they didn't know how the tribe would act if he was going about by himself.

At the beginning of the third week, Astrid was watching over Hiccup in the living room of the Haddock household as Kala napped curled up to his side and Toothless darted about the hut in his hybrid form. Stoick and Gobber had relocated Hiccup's bed in front of the hearth to keep him warm.

Toothless then snuck to the bed and was about to pounce on his father, but Astrid grabbed him by the tail and yanked him away. He hissed in pain and glared at her.

"Oh no you don't! Your dad's still healing mister! Not to mention your baby sister is sleeping! If you try to wake them up again, I'll whack you across the head with the handle of my axe!" Astrid scolded, which earned an irritated huff from the hatchling.

Because of Astrid's scolding, Kala woke up and began to sleepily yip in annoyance at her older brother and aunt. Toothless began to playfully growl and yip back at her, which ended up with the two hatchlings getting quite loud. Astrid tried to get them to quiet down, but her efforts were for naught.

As the two Night Fury hatchlings bickered, Hiccup finally stirred and woke up with a groan.

"Why are you two fighting..?" He asked as he slowly sat up while holding his head, still too out of it to register he was in hybrid form.

Toothless and Kala ceased their bickering as soon as they heard his voice.

"Dad!" Toothless exclaimed excitedly as he and Kala tackled Hiccup with happy purrs.

Hiccup groaned as he fell back on his bed from the impact then chuckled as he hugged his kids tightly. "I'm happy to see you guys too..."

Astrid stifled a laugh while shaking her head, then she made her way over to the bed and pried the two hatchlings off their father. "Give him time to wake up properly, you two."

Toothless and Kala whined, but allowed their aunt to pull them away. Hiccup smiled gratefully at his found sister as he sat up slowly and stretched out his limbs. He then froze and looked at himself in confusion, not understanding how he was in hybrid form.

"How the..?" He muttered as he looked at his wings and stretched them out before folding them against his back once more.

"No clue." Astrid said as she sat on the bed with Kala in her arms as she let the baby dragon play with her hand. "You just transformed into your hybrid form randomly a couple days after the battle at the Nest. We're not sure why you did."

"How long was I out..?" Hiccup asked.

"Two weeks." Toothless said as he climbed back onto the bed and sat on his legs with his arms propping him up. "Aunt Astrid said you killed a huge dragon all on your own!"

Hiccup stifled a laugh and looked at Astrid. "Oh she did, did she..?"

"Well I couldn't lie to them, now could I?" She said with a laugh.

"No, I guess not." He said with a smile.

Toothless' tail swayed back and forth excitedly. "What was it like?"

"Terrifying. But I knew I had to do it. Not only for the tribe, but also for you two." Hiccup said as he ruffled Toothless' hair and rubbed Kala's head gently.

Toothless laughed and pushed his hand away while Kala purred and leaned into his touch. Hiccup smiled and dropped his hands into his lap. "So, what'd I miss?"

Astrid smirked and handed Kala to him as she stood and motioned to the door. "Why not come and see for yourself sleepyhead?"

He took Kala happily and held her close as he got out of bed, Toothless following suit and taking Hiccup's hand when it was offered. Astrid shook her head with a smile and left the hut. The small family followed her outside and Hiccup froze with wide eyes.

There were dragons flying and walking about the village and none of the Vikings were attacking them. Some dragons were even eating at fish basins, which were the old torches used during raids.

"How in Odin's name..?" Hiccup breathed out as he took it all in.

Stoick came over to the three Night Furies and pat Hiccup on the shoulder. "This is all your doin' son. So? What do you think?"

Hiccup looked at his dad shocked. "I..I have no words."

Stoick chuckled as he picked Toothless up when the boy let go of his dad's hand, resting him on his arm. "Had a feelin' that'd be your reaction."

Before Hiccup could say anything else, some Vikings that were passing by the hill took notice of him and came over.

"Hey, look! It's Hiccup!"
"Hiccup, how you doing, mate?"

"It's great to see you up and about."

Hiccup gave a nervous smile as he backed up slightly, holding his daughter closer to him. "Uh.."

"Turns out all we needed was a little more of...this." Stoick said as he gestured to Hiccup's entire body.

"You just gestured to all of me." Hiccup said with a stifled laugh.

"Well, most of you." Gobber said as he hobbled his way over to them.

Hiccup raised a brow in confusion as he looked at his mentor. "What do you mean by most of me, Gobber?"

"Have ya looked at your tail at all lad?" The blacksmith asked with a chuckle.

Hiccup grew even more confused then he moved his tail in front of him to look at it and his eyes widened when he saw that it was bandaged up. Blood was soaking the bandages on the left side, but the right side looked perfectly fine.

"Your left tailfin got badly damaged during the battle, son. We had ta amputate it before it got worse." Stoick explained as he rested a hand on his son's shoulder.

"You and Kala match now Dad!" Toothless said as he pointed at his baby sister's tail.

Hiccup looked at Kala's tail, then at his and smiled a bit. "Yeah, I guess we do match now huh bud?"

Toothless nodded with a wide smile, which Hiccup returned with his own. That smile faded though as Astrid punched his shoulder.

"Ow! What was that for?" Hiccup asked as he rubbed his shoulder.

"That's for scaring me." Astrid said, then she ruffled his hair with a smirk. "And that's for staying alive ya dork."

Hiccup laughed and smiled as he fixed his hair.

Gobber chuckled and rested a hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "Welcome home lad."

"Hiccup!"

Hiccup looked over to where the shout came from and smiled when he saw his sister on her Deadly Nadder waving him over to her and the other teens on their dragons. He then looked at his dad, who chuckled and opened his arm for Kala. Hiccup smiled gratefully and gave Kala to Stoick before he rushed down the hill and mounted the Nadder with Astrid.

"You ready brother?" Astrid asked with a smirk.

Hiccup smirked back and held onto her shoulders with a nod.

All the teens then took off and began racing each other around the island.

This...is Berk. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three. Any food that grows here is tough and tasteless. The people that grow here are even more so. The only upsides are the pets. While other places have...ponies or parrots, we have...dragons!

~~~HTRYNF~~~

Part 1 is done! Hope you guys enjoyed the multi post of the last few chapters. Part 2 and parts that follow will be posted in the same book, so keep an eye out for those. This book is gonna be a chonk, but some of the best books are. Peace out my li'l embers!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317 4 1
How different would things be if Stoick wasn't fast enough to push Hiccup out of the way of Kala's plasma blast during the Sanctuary battle? This is...
96.9K 2K 25
There is dragon in Berk... But what if there is ... A half-dragon and a half-human... A white night fury who all human want to kill if they met you...
73K 642 9
After asking Astrid for a sleepover, the young couple sleeps together in the same bed for the first time. It quickly becomes a habit for Astrid and H...
5K 102 15
With peace still as strong as ever between Vikings and Dragons on Berk and the Dragon Riders living among their tribe once again, things on Berk coul...