DRAGONS HEART. daemon targa...

By aaronhtchnrs

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON / your lips, my lips apocalypse book 1/1 ©-aaronhtchnrs More

DRAGONS HEART
ACT ONE
GRAPHICS.
1. the dragon and the stag
2. rose necklace
3. teasing a rogue prince
4. being a woman
5. give me a minute to hold my girl
6. my heart will never feel
7. threats have been made
8. sacrifices for consequences
9. weddings with no love
10. robert hightower
11. the rogue prince daemon
12. should i stay or should i go?
13. ceremony of chaos and corruption
ACT TWO: the rogue prince's claim
14. busy bees and perfect kids
15. the wishing well
16. bigger than the whole sky
17. the art of choosing
18. additions and plans of death
19. the vultures have risen
20. pity partys in flames
21. the first betrayal
22. the black queen

23. the end is here

4.8K 209 20
By aaronhtchnrs

CHAPTER TWENTY—THREE

THE MOTHER OBSERVED her son closely, Robert stood in the dark, candle lit room with the rest of the people and the Queen at the head of the table with his back against the wall — looking at the floor in thought.

He thought about war. If they went to war it meant that his family could die. That he could die. His lover could die. And all he could think was that he would be okay with dying if it meant he died for a purpose, a reason beyond just fighting. Dying for something good.

And he determined that this was a good thing. His Uncle desired Rhaenyra to have the throne and it was taken from her. And he didn't blame her or anyone else in the room for wanting to take it back. It was true that Aegon had an equal claim, but it wasn't about claim it was the fact that Rhaenyra was a woman and that didn't sit right with him.

The fact that they chose Aegon just because he had a cock — a small cock — didn't sit right with him. And so he would fight.

But he was also scared.

"Are you well, my son?", Roseva asked him quietly and the boy nodded — the woman looking him over but turned when her husband began speaking to Rhaenyra.

"It's no easy thing for a man to be a dragonslayer, but dragons can kill dragons. And have. The simple truth is this: we have more dragons than Aegon", he told her, everyone gathered themselves in the room awaiting the Queen's decision on whether she would accept the former Queen's and Aegon's terms or if she would take them all to war.

"Viserys spoke often of the Valyrian histories. I know them well. When dragons flew to war . . . everything burned. I do not wish to rule over a kingdom of ash and bone", Rhaenyra spoke, and Roseva nodded her head silently, understanding the position that she was in. She had too many people begging her to go to war but they didn't understand.

"Are you considering the Hightowers' terms, Your Grace?".

Rhaenyra licked her lips before speaking, "As Queen, what is my true duty to the realm, Lord Bartimos? Ensuring peace and unity? Or that I sit the Iron Throne, no matter the cost?".

Daemon sighed and leaned against the table, "That's your father talking".

Roseva turned to her husband, "Daemon!". The man lowered his head at his wife's scolding before rubbing his face in exhaustion and annoyance.

"My father's dead. And he chose me as his successor . . . to defend the realm not cast it headlong into war".

"Well, the enemy have declared war! What are you going to do about it?".

Roseva understood what her husband was doing. He was trying to make Rhaenyra a true Queen, one that ruled over the fear of it's people because that's how he would have ruled but Rhaenyra was not built that way. She never was.

Rhaenyra is kind and desires to rule of the love of her people. To make the world a fair and just place. This wasn't how she wanted to be Queen but they truly did leave her no choice.

Rhaenyra stared at her Uncle with such calmness it worried Roseva, "Clear the room".

Daeron looked at his father and shook his head, "Now you've done it".

Daemon sighed as the room began to clear. Roseva turned to her husband and shook her head, "Be nice. You need to help her, not berate her for what she's not doing. She knows the risks, Daemon. She needs your support not your judgment". The woman sighed and her husband shook his head in acknowledgment to her words. She patted his chest and walked out the room with her children.

"Go to your chambers, the hour is late", she told them and they nodded and kissed her cheek each before walking with each other to their chambers.

"I swear if you fart in my face again, Daeron, you are dead", Rhaena growled and hit his back while he was walking up the steps.

"I didn't!", he cried in response and Robert snickered along with Rhaegar as the eldest carried an already sleeping Baelon.

Roseva watched them with a small smile before retiring to her chambers — undoing her dress and shifting onto the bed where sleep consumed her.

Daemon shifted in his sleep and rolled over, the bed was cold beside him meaning his wife had been up for some time. He sighed heavily and ran a hand down his face before removing the covers from his body and got out of bed.

The man entered his eldest son — Robert's room and saw her holding Baelon in his arms, "I may be young but if we go to war with them that means everyone I love could end up dead".

Daemon watched Roseva tried to keep the tears in her eyes from falling in front of her son, "That will never happen, little Baelon", she spoke with a croaky voice from the tears and kissed her sons head.

The father watched in guilt as a tear slipped down her cheek which was quickly brushed away as she continued to dress her son. He felt guilty because he was pushing for this war to happen and he didn't even know why anymore. Not after what he had just heard.

He didn't consider how his wife and children must feel about it. He only felt the loss of his brother and it was clouding his judgement. He and Viserys never truly got on but he was his brother and that meant something.

But Viserys was gone now. His family was still here.

Robert walked out of the bathing room that was connected to his room and kissed his mothers cheek. He picked up Baelon who wrapped his little arms around his neck, "I'll take him to get something to eat".

"Thank you, my love", Roseva smiled and watched them leave before she noticed her husband in the doorway. "Love?".

Daemon smiled sympathetically before walking over and kissing her lightly, "I'm . . .".

"Sorry?".

"Yeah".

"I understand. He was your brother and it's okay to be upset and angry. I am too. I just — we cannot afford to lose our children, Daemon. I refuse".

Daemon cupped her face, "We will not lose our children. I promise".

"Your promise?", Roseva looked at him curiously.

The man nodded, "I promise".

Rhaenyra sat in her chair at the end of the painted table as the men around it discussed strategies. Roseva laid her hands on her shoulders in comfort as she watched the women restrain going to war.

"The Lord of the Tides", Rhaenyra and Roseva turned at Ser Erryk's voice, "Lord Corlys Velaryon . . . and his wife, the Princess Rhaenys Targaryen"

Rhaenyra stood and Roseva moved to the side and watched the man use his cane to loudly lower himself down the steps with his wife and granddaughters — Baela and Daena with him.

"My Lords"

"Lord Corlys. It brings much relief to see you hale and healthy again", Rhaenyra spoke softly and the man nodded with a small smile of his own.

"I am very sorry about your father, Princess. He was a good man".

Rhaenyra blinked a few times, still getting used to the loss of her father. It was so odd to her. It felt the same when her mother died.

"Where is Daemon and Steffon?", Lord Corlys looked for their presence but they were not in the room.

Rose stepped forward and he turned to her, "There were other concerns which demanded by husband and cousins attention", she smiled lightly at him and he returned it — he always enjoyed the Baratheons presence, she was always full of light, or well she had been before she married Otto.

"Hmm", Lord Corlys hummed before banging his cane on the floor and began walking forward to the painted table and pointed to the figurines, "Your declared allies?".

"Yes", Rhaenya moved with him and observed.

"Too few to win a war for the throne".

Rhaenyra parted her lips for a moment before speaking, "Well, we would also hope to have the support of Houses Arryn, Baratheon, and Stark".

"Hope . . . is the fool's ally".

Daeron moved from behind his mother, "Did you call the Queen a fool, Lord Corlys?", his face scrunched in anger.

Rhaenyra looked to the boy and patted his shoulder before Roseva pushed her son back with a tut as Lord Corlys looked at him in amusement, "Both Arryn and Baratheon share blood with my house. But all of them swore oaths to me".

"As did House Hightower . . . if I remember".

"As did you, Lord Corlys", Robert spoke in the mist of sharpening his knife. The boy looked up from his knife and raised his eyebrows at the lord, daring him to say he was wrong.

"My children, honestly", Roseva muttered to herself with a sigh.

The man hummed and turned to his grandchildren who were standing next to each other at the other end of the table before turning back to Rhaenyra, "Your father's realm . . . was one of justice and honour. Our houses are bound by common blood and common cause. This Hightower treason cannot stand. You have the full support of our fleet and house, Your Grace", he bowed his head as Rhaenyra blinked in slight shock before a small smile twitched upon her face.

"You honour me, Lord Corlys", she turned to Rhaenys who wore a proud look, "Princess Rhaenys. But, as I said to my bannermen, I made a promise to my father to hold the realm strong and united".

"Rhaenyra, you cannot do that when you're not in Kings Landing", Roseva urged.

The Queen nodded in understanding but held her word, "If war's first stroke is to fall, it will not be by my hand".

Lord Corlys raised his eyebrows, "You do not mean to act?".

"Taking caution does not mean standing fast. I wish to know who my allies are before I send them to war".

Lord Corlys observed her words before limping forward, "The consequence of my . . . near—demise in the Stepstones . . . is that we now control them. I took care to fully garrison the territory this time. A total blockade of the shipping lanes will be in place in days, if not already. The Triarchy have been routed. The Narrow Sea is ours", both Rhaenyra and Roseva breathed in relief, "If we further seat the Gullet, we can cut of all seaborne travel and trade to King's Landing".

"That's what I'm talking about", Daeron bumped shoulders with Rhaegar with a smirk.

Rhaenys stepped forward, "I shall take Meleys and patrol the Gullet myself"

"When we drain the Narrow Sea, we can surround King's Landing, lay siege to the Red Keep, and force the Green's surrender".

Robert stood and approached them, twirling his now sharp knife in hand, "Perfect. When do we leave?".

Rhaenyra looked at him, "If we are to have enough swords to surround King's Landing, we must first secure the support of Winterfell, the Eyrie, and Storm's End".

"I'll prepare the Ravens, Your Grace".

Rose stepped to Rhaenyra and spoke, "I sent a raven to Winterfell, Lord Cregan Stark wishes to an audience in person".

Rhaenyra frowned, knowing she couldn't spare the men to engage with the Lord of Winterfell, "I cannot leave", she responded and Roseva licked her lips in thought but they turned their head to Jacaerys when he spoke.

"We should bear those messages. Dragons can fly faster than ravens and they're more convincing. Send us".

Rhaenyra looked at her oldest in thought before Daeron stepped forward upon seeing Lucerys scared face, "I'll travel with little Luke. Strength in numbers and all that", Roseva turned to her son and shook her head.

"No".

Daeron reached a hand to cup her cheek and rubbed it softly with his thumb, "I've got this, mother. Luke cannot travel alone". The boy winked at the younger boy and Luke smiled gratefully back at him.

Roseva sighed and nodded knowing that he was right and they both turned to Rhaenyra awaiting her answer.

"The Princes are right, Your Grace", Lord Corlys finished upon the silence of the room.

"Very well. Prince Jacaerys will fly north. First to the Eyrie to see my mothers cousin, the Lady Jeyne Arryn, and then to Winterfell to treat with Lord Cregan Stark for the support of the North. Prince Lucerys and Prince Daeron will fly south to Storm's End and treat with Lord Borros Baratheon. We must remind these lords of the oaths they swore. And . . . the cost of breaking them", Rhaenyra affirmed and Lord Corlys nodded when their eyes met.

It was done.

Roseva stood outside looking over the walls onto the sea, there was nothing in the distance but shores that would soon engulf her son into the unknown.

She was scared. Terrified even. But she had faith that he would make it home to her.

She admired her son for wanting to protect Luke, he had done it for as long as she could remember. The times when she would find them asleep in the library because Daeron had been teaching Lucerys High Velaryon or the time she spotted them fighting on the beach because Daeron, Robert and Rewan were teaching Jace and Luke how to fight.

The times when life was so much easier and they were finally at peace. She would miss those times.

"Mother?", the woman turned to see her son walking towards her, putting his sword holster around his waist and bucked it in place.

"Your father always told me that as Targaryens, they are closer to Gods than to men", she told him and he listened, she looked down to her hands that she had been picking at but stopped when he eloped his hands over hers, "I want you closer to men than to the Gods. Just for now at least", she smiled appreciatively at him and he nodded. "Do you really want to go?".

Daeron sighed and nodded, "I have to protect him. I feel that Rhaenyra has already lost too much". Rose gazed at her son with such proudness that her heart bloomed. He had his fathers attitude but he had his mothers heart.

"If you go on this errand, you go as a messenger . . . not as a warrior. And you keep your tongue in your mouth, no witty remarks where you're going, Daeron. They won't take it so kindly, do you understand?".

"Yes, mother".

Roseva leaned up and cupped her sons face, "My perfect boy . . . come home to me, please", a tear left her cheek and he wiped it away quickly before grabbing her and holding her to his chest, resting his chin on the top of her head — not wanting to let her go.

"I love you, mother. And I will see you when I return", he kissed her head before letting her go. Rose wiped her tears and smoothed down his clothes before turning to Lucerys who was now approaching them with their message in hand with a scared look on his face as he tried to be brave.

"Are you ready, little dove?", she asked him and pulled him to her chest for a hug. The boy nodded against her with a shaky smile before they pulled away.

"Right, let's get going then", Daeron grabbed the boys neck and pushed him forward almost making him fall over as he laughed loudly.

"Daeron!", Roseva scolded as Luke laughed and pushed the boy back.

Daeron looked back at his mother once he sat upon his dragon with a cheeky smile on his face before he took off and was no longer within her sights.

Little did she know that, that was the last smile she'd ever see from her son as she watched the dragons fly away.

"Where is my husband?", Roseva questioned as she walked through the room. Her children stood in the corner conversing with Rhaenyra.

She wasn't sure how long it had been since her sons departure but the hour had grown late and she still didn't see her husband or cousin.

The lords shook their heads and she sighed before moving over to Rhaenyra and her children, "Have you seen—", she stopped when Baelon screamed.

"Father!".

She turned when Daemon and Steffon came waltzing in the room. The former wiped his face as he walked over to her. The light from the candles glistened over his face, she could tell he had been crying but she didn't know why.

Robert stood with Rewan and pulled the twins and Baelon toward him, sensing bad news was about to be shared but it wasn't the kind he was expecting. Ever expecting.

Rose looked at him in confusion when Daemon grasped her shoulder softly and moved her away from the Lords around the table as Steffon did the same with Rhaenyra.

"What's happened?", she asked and Daemon swallowed harshly. Robert watched from afar as his father whispered to his mother but he couldn't make out the words. But Roseva heard him clearly, "There was an incident with Borros Baratheon. Aemond was there . . . he chased Luke and Daeron".

Roseva's eyes scattered over his face, "Where's our son, Daemon?", she furrowed her brows.

Daemon looked down briefly before meeting his eyes, "He's gone".

The words echoed loudly in her ears as she heard Rhaenyra wail in the background, Steffon holding her as she almost collapsed towards the fire place. Robert watched with wide eyes before turning to his mother who was clearly in a state of shock.

He looked to his siblings who were asking him questions but he couldn't speak. He didn't know what to say.

A ringing fell over her ears as she blinked. Daemon was still speaking but she couldn't hear him. "No", she whispered and shook her head as it finally dawned over her what he meant.

Her son . . . was dead.

"My son!", her knees buckled and she fell to the floor with a loud scream ripping through her throat. Daemon fell to his knees and cradled her head to his shoulder and swayed her gently.

"Oh my Gods", Robert whispered.

Daemon couldn't keep his promise like he intended to. And neither could Daeron as his body swayed over the ocean with Lucerys beside him — their bodies slowly fading into the abyss before it sunk them into the darkness of the ocean.

Along with Roseva and Rhaenyra's hearts.

* authors note — it has been a long almost year since this fic was published but I can now say that season 1 is finished!! There has been a lot of sadness and will be more sadness to come once season 2 is out (if you've seen my tik tok then you know if you haven't my account is "aaronhtchnrs" I post all my fanfic edits on there) Daeron and Lucerys mean everything to me and it's so sad we had to end it like this but I didn't write house of the dragon don't blame me🧍🏻‍♀️ but I hope you enjoyed reading season 1 and I will see you when season 2 is out a rolling :) *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 3.7K 29
nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time. ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝒜s...
15.8K 671 15
𝘿𝙀𝙄𝙍𝘿𝙍𝙀 𝙍𝙄𝙑𝙀𝙍𝙎 was haunted by the memories of a life she could never live. A husband she could never have and a heart she could never t...
143K 4.8K 28
𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐞...
159K 4.8K 37
Book One - Season One House of the Dragon - Ever since Verena Hightower was born her father, the hand of the king Otto Hightower loathed her, wanted...