Enna Is a Land God- Book:2

By KitCorbeau

The Goregek goblin king is dead and Enna's life is starting to settle into a comfortable rhythm. The Foxes ar... More

Disclaimer
Journey Home
This is Not a House!
Unsettling Rumors
Trouble in Pern
A Call for Help
On the Road
Mayor Wallace and the Kobold Mansion
Horror in the Kobold Village
Broken Spirits
What Did I Expect? Really!?
A Friend... Maybe?
Lagdon's Frustrations
Swamp Troubles
A Guardian's Tale
Crazy Ladies Just Fall from Trees
I Think I Broke My Hobgoblin...
Confrontation
No Escape
Specter
An Untouchable Enemy
A Land God's Responsibility
A Battle of the Mind
The Wrath of a God
A New God is Born
Winter
Thank You!
Book Three!

Its Never Dull Living With Monsters

151 13 7
By KitCorbeau

The inside of my new home was probably more extravagant than the outside. As I suspected, the nice stone steps out front leading up to a massive heavy door that was easily defendable, lead to what I would escribe as a church. There were no pews, but it was a huge open space that a small church could have fit within for sure. There were the gorgeous stained glass windows that welcomed people in at the front, but I saw more simple stained glass fitted inside as well, despite the fact that they would be looking into the interior of the building.

The high ceiling was held up by huge pillars and several large wooden rafters. I saw even more windows in the ceiling, this ones normal glass, letting in a ton of natural light. Was it normal for monsters to be able to make this much glass? Without the kind of factories I would imagine from my old world, I wasn't sure how it was possible...

"You need not worry about the unfinished glass work my Lady." Said Drazdon, who had followed Lagdon, Nord, Trixie, and I inside. Everyone else got to work- no doubt getting a party ready.

"What?" I asked. I looked back at the walls and realized that much of the glass that was clearly meant to be in the walls was actually missing. Instead there were wood paneling in its place.

"I am good, but even I can not make so much glass in such a short time." Laughed the old glass worker. "It will take several years for the truly magnificent pieces to be made... Though that is fine seeing as how I hope to tell the tale of your time amongst us in these frames! But I plan to have at least basic stained glass in the window frames before next spring. And for now we have clear glass in the ceiling."

"It is a grand undertaking..." I said, baffled. The talent and time- I couldn't even comprehend it.

Drazdon grinned, hands on his hips and shoulders back proudly. "It will be my single greatest work. My life's ambition! I am truly grateful for this opportunity Lady Enna. To think that my art will forever be seen by all those who visit here to pay their respects to our land god... I am humbled. And to be the first to record your life? It is an honor that I can not even express."

"Your name will, indeed, go down in history." Agreed Nord, appreciating the art work as much as I was.

"And don't forget us." Huffed another goblin, this one a younger goblane with deep red hair braided over one shoulder, deep green eyes, and several scrolls held in his arms. "You will not be around forever, old man. Don't forget who it is that will be carrying on your legacy."

Drazdon broke out in loud laughter, causing the handful of goblins working in the cathedral to stop and look. "Ain't that the truth!" He turned to me, moving so that I could better see the younger goblane and he could better see me. I saw the younger male's eyes widen in shock and he nearly dropped his papers. "Lady Enna, This is Grendal! He is my youngest son and one of my students in the art of glass work. Between he and my other two sons, I am sure that this project will continue on for many more decades, even after I am gone!"

"Lady Enna!" Gasped the younger goblane. He looked more effeminate than most goblins- including the actual females- and nearly dropped more of his scrolls when he hastened to bow to me. "I'm sorry, I did not realize that you had arrived."

"It's fine!" I said, still not used to being bowed to and the like, despite having had to deal with it for the last six months. "More importantly, you all have been doing an amazing job. This place is beautiful!"

Grendal smiled and Drazdon puffed out his chest and said, proudly, "Your thanks is more than we could ask for Lady Enna. To think my family is able to contribute to such an undertaking... Words can not do it justice."

I listened to Drazdon go on and on about what he hoped to accomplish with his art, between introductions to the other goblins working on the project. They apologized for not being finished upon my arrival, but I was just astounded at all the work they had finished. I was in no way familiar with construction work, but even working under modern conditions I was sure this should have taken much longer. Considering these goblins were working with hand tools for the most part was impressive. Goblanes like Grendal did have a goodly gift for magic now, but all of them were new to the art and still had much to learn. It made me think that getting an expert with at least some magics would be ideal. but for now, both the foxes and the goblins were making due.

A further tour of the lower level had me peeking into the barracks, where Lagdon and the other guards would be staying. It was mainly a section of the east wing of the estate filled with several bunk rooms and a shared common space. It actually looked larger than it needed to be and Lagdon told me that it was. Apparently they were accounting for growth. I figured that there was too much room for growth. I had seen middle schools smaller than this estate...

Not far from the Barracks were the baths. It had both indoor and out door bathing sections. When I first arrived in this world, communal bathing was foreign to me but not something that made me uncomfortable. I mean, I hadn't even been able to bathe myself for years and so was used to others being able to see my naked body. But apparently shared bathing was pretty common amongst the more social monster races like the goblins and the foxes. It reminded me a lot of animes I had watched as a kid, actually.

The next place I was brought to were the kitchens. They were right next to a massive, but sparsely decorated dining hall. The estate still felt rather empty but it was to be expected given we had to make all the furniture our selves for now. The kitchens were a lively place though. There were many stone, wood burning stoves and just as many servants working around them. As I suspected, they were getting ready for a big party tonight. But they would not let us leave till the cooks and bakers plied us with unending pastries and snacks. It made me laugh when a rather elderly goblane woman almost shoved a meat skewer down Lagdon's throat. Apparently she had been a chef at the goblin palace and had known the prince since he was a child.

Lagdon did not take me to them- perhaps seeing that I was getting warry- but pointed out a hall that lead to several workrooms. Most were basically empty, but Drazdon and his sons and assistance had taken over one for their workings. Apparently was another dedicated to weaving and the like as well. Lagdon also said that there were a few meeting rooms down that way too, if ever they were needed.

I was confused as to how Lagdon knew so much about the estate, given that he hardly had left my side since his brother had put him in charge of my safety. All he said was that he had been given several blue prints of the place. I had a feeling that he had spent a goodly amount of time memorizing them.

Finally, Lagdon took me up stairs. The upper floor was not as large as the lower and a large chunk of that space that I had seen from the outside was actually dedicated to the huge open space of the church. I could look down into it as Lagdon led me toward the back end of the upper floor. It was here that my rooms were located.

Two males already stood guard outside the double doors- Brillum and another goblin I recognized but could not remember the name of. Both the goblin and the bright red furred Brillum bowed to me with smiles as the pushed open the doors, allowing me entry into the room for the first time. Lagdon followed me in and the guards shut the door behind us.

It was one very large room, as a matter of fact. A huge open space with massive clear glass windows at the far side leading to a pretty glorious balcony that I suspected would look out over the waterfall that I was so fond of. The room itself was sort of separated into sections. There was a massive four poster bed with white curtains drawn closed, sitting on a raised dais. I was not sure why it was raised, but it did look impressive.

Another corner of the room seemed to be dedicated to my wardrobe. There were several clothing stands, some with many robes- mostly having a least a little copper in them somewhere, as apparently that was 'my' color now- and a few dresses draped over them. Then there were a few armor stands, sporting different pieces of leather gear or cloth and fur cloaks. I saw a beautifully carved table with an array of jewelry upon it, both in the styles of the goblins and the foxes. A rack on the wall held three stunning hunting bows with delicately made quivers set beneath them. And there was also a small stand dedicated to other weapons, but currently there was only one upon it. 

I approached it and saw that it was a small jeweled dagger. Lagdon stepped forward and grasped the weapon in his large, four fingered hand.

"I had this made for you Lady Enna..." He said, and I saw that he look a little awkward. I tried not to smile, as I knew he was being kind and it would be rude to tease him. "You have been doing quite well in your training, and it is only fitting that you had a tool that matched your station, rather than the grubby practice weapons you had been using."

Happy, i reached out a pale hand and took the small, leather sheathed, blade from the large hobgoblin. I carefully pulled it from the sheath and saw that it was made out of the finest goblin steal and the guard had small foxes carved into it, their eyes being tiny rubies, while the pommel held a much larger one.

"Its beautiful..." I breathed, quite truthfully. "Thank you."

"You are welcome." He said, clearing his throat awkwardly. "I am not the only one of course." He said, deflecting the attention toward the other items surrounding us. "many of your people wished to make offerings, and Trixie thought it best to just have them brought up here. I believe that that white bow was a gift of the foxie Elder, Brax."

Entranced, I made sure to examine each gift individually. they were all apricated, and most were the absolute height of goblin or fox craftmanship. I was really very touched...

Lagdon excused himself so that I could get some rest before the party that night. He explained that, either side of my rooms, were two other, smaller rooms. These were where the men and woman set to look after me and my personal space would be staying while on duty. Brillum and the goblin he said was called Kedmond, would be right out side if I needed anything, and he would be in those near by rooms.

Lagdon was barely gone five minutes when Trixie breezed into the room. She waved off Brillum who had been trying to convince her to give me time, with an irritated look. Then she called in several other attendants. I was a little exasperated at first, but Trixie was nothing if not efficient. She and the other attendants had brought up a large tub of steaming water as well as several trays of food and drink. As soon as the things were dropped off, all but Trixie and two other attendants left the room.

Before I knew it I had been undressed, helped to get clean, and then dressed in a clean foxie styled robe and sitting on my balcony sipping Maubry apple juice and munching on tea cakes. The view was stunning, and I was left to enjoy it as Trixie and her helpers set about putting my room back in order. I was a little worried that I would get used to this treatment. I never wanted to be some spoiled, lazy god, like a certain dragon I had met once.

But it was rather relaxing, looking out over the river and nearby lakes, the forest a light in autumn colors and the trees that I had been so fond of the first time I visited here. The purple blossoms were now gone, replaced by large purple Maubry apples, the juice from which i was now drinking.

I got up and went to the rail of my deck and looked down. Below me was a garden, extending out to the river. It was not to elaborate right now, considering the time of year and the fact that it was only recently built, but I could see where the foxes and goblins seemed to be planning to put a fountain and several flower beds. Already there were a few benches and several large trees that I was glad to se that they managed to avoid cutting down. To my left, hidden in a grove of apple trees, were the out door baths. I could see steam rising above the tree line.

And, though I could not see it, I knew that farther on the eastern side were the training grounds that, had the water fall not been so loud with the extra water from a recent rain, i probably could hear Nord schooling Ozzie before the party. To the west would be the servants gardens as it were. I was told that there several vegetable gardens there as well as an area dedicated to laundry.

So this was my new home. It was odd to think that I would be here for a great many years to come. I honestly had not really given my life span much thought since arriving in this world. Before now, it was a thought I avoided, as I was supposed to have died ages ago. I assume my illness had finally caught up to me and that was how I passed from Earth and found myself here. I actually do not remember dying. I was just going under the assumption that I had passed in my sleep for now.

But I was a land god now. I was going to live- baring some very unlikely circumstances- for a very long time, till I -Like Aeros before me- grow tired of this world and decide to pass on to what ever lay beyond. Hundreds of years... thousands?

I thought of Drazdon and his sons, tickled pink that their legacy would continue on with their stained glass windows. Before I know it, Drazdon will die, and a few decades later so will his sons. Eventually, all the people I know now- have grown to love and rely on- will pass away. I bet that it will feel like a blink of an eye. 

The thought made me sad. I knew that, logically speaking, that wouldn't happen for many years, especially for the younger ones like Lagdon or even Ozzie. But they would grow old and die. Unlike me, they were not forever.

Sighing, I sat back in the chair Trixie had set out for me. It was best not to dwell on it. Not now at least. After all, it was not something I would have to worry about for a couple decades at least and, luckily, most monster races had longer life spans than humans. Not a lot longer, but even a few more years with friends was preferable.

With that thought in my head I popped a small chocolate into my mouth and smiled. they were very rare here and I decided to savor the precious present from a goblin noble for as long as I could.

As I figured, a party was set for the evening and I would go so far as to say it was the most boisterous one yet. It went long into the night and I can't say I had ever laughed so much as I did in that dining hall.

Somehow Ozzie managed to fall into the river at one point and came out looking like a drowned rat. Lagdon was as stoic as always but Nord managed to coax him out of his shell enough for a round of arm wrestling matches where, somehow, I was the one most surprised to find that I was not dead last. Though it took a bit of convincing before they would let me join. Some thought I would get hurt while others figured a god would be too strong to be put up against regular people. Turns out i was middle of the pack.

That fun night slowly faded and lazy days followed. Over the next weeks we all settled into a comfortable routine for a change and I could not have been happier. There were still things that needed to be done in my lands, but I was waiting till I had built up a better store of power before I got to work. It also gave me time to train with the guards and get better acquainted with various weapons. Most gods were strong all on their own, but I was just a regular human with a few godly buffs tossed in to help me survive. I could do with all the help I could get.

But I should have figured that peaceful days would not last for too long. I was the god of a forest full of monsters after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 252 45
Deals with the devil are always tricky, especially when it was someone else who sold your soul to the devil. Faye Wulfgaar has always had bad luck...
56.3K 3.5K 126
Have you ever experienced fighting with your trauma, but failed to win for a long period of time? What if you are frightened, but you need to suddenl...
7.7K 823 58
Something quite alarming has been happening to Princess Yavenna, heir to the throne of Tarhasta. Since her sixteenth birthday a year and a half ago...
157 12 41
Nyrrea is the daughter of the king. The citizen of their lands are different than others, they have spirit animals. Nyrrea was not like them, she did...