Waging War Book 4: Empty Peac...

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." A violent battle between AshClan and... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 13

175 13 16
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

Leopardpaw dropped her prey on the fresh-kill pile, her paws numb and her nose running just like the previous days. The hunting patrols had been working hard, making sure that the fresh-kill pile was full. Leopardpaw had been working every day hunting until her paws were numb. She would keep running all over the territory, and their hard work had been paying off. The fresh-kill pile was well stocked and they would be prepared for the storm.

The dens had been reinforced and the designated cats had been working hard on their herb training. Everything seemed to be going well for MoonClan, and Leopardpaw had hope that they would come out of this storm just fine. After storing her caught prey away, she padded into the apprentice den to warm up. Despite everything going well, she had been missing spending time with her family and friends. She barely got to see Ripplepaw who despite his injury being better was still in the medicine cat den and helping reinforce that den and collecting herbs. Leopardpaw wondered if her brother would be switching to a medicine cat apprentice or not.

Regardless of what he wanted to do, Leopardpaw would support him, she just missed spending time with him. Her parents had also been busy, even though she was on the hunting assignment with her father, they always hunted separately and she hadn't been working with Berryheart either. The same could be said for Shellstorm who was either reinforcing the dens or out on patrol, she barely saw him and when she did they didn't have any time to spend together.

Despite the threat of the storm, she was looking forward to sharing a den with him again for as long as the storm persisted. She also hoped that her warrior ceremony would follow soon after, she was still young but she had basically been working as a full time warrior due to the circumstances.

"Violetstar!" A loud voice called from outside her den, causing Leopardpaw to jump and pulling her from her thoughts. She hurried out of the medicine cat den and saw as Berryheart led her patrol in, with Swanfeather, Meadowsong and Minnowstream behind her.

The MoonClan leader soon appeared from her den with Swiftheart and Brokenclaw following behind her. Leopardpaw could see that the patrol was visibly agitated. "What happened?" The leader asked, also sensing the patrol's mood.

"AshClan has been near our border again." Berryheart reported. "We tracked their scent and it looks they went to MountainClan, but not before stopping by our border to make their presence known."

Violetstar hissed and lashed her tail. "The arrogance of that she-cat!" She paced for a few moments, rage clearly burning in her eyes. "That's it." Her claws flexed, digging into the snowy moorland below. "MoonClan is done taking her abuse, she clearly doesn't care about anything I've said. I was going to talk to her...but not anymore." Violetstar raised her head high. "We're attacking AshClan tonight!"

Leopardpaw's eyes widened, she wanted to protect her Clan as much as any other warrior but a fight? With only two days before the storm arrived? She shifted her paws nervously, wondering if this was the best decision to be making.

"Are you sure, Violetstar?" The intrepid voice came from Oneflight who had left his den. "The storm is coming, I don't need an influx of injured warriors when I will be treating our sick cats in the storm."

"Trust me, Oneflight." Violetstar assured the medicine cat. "This won't be a long attack, if she can make statements then so can I. We'll attack and retreat, but not before making Riverstar realizes that we are not afraid to shed blood! We leave at dusk, the moon will protect us as it always has."

The cats of MoonClan seemed to be divided, Brokenclaw, Swiftheart, Berryheart, Meadowsong and Ferretpelt all seemed to be excited, while others like Leopardpaw seemed to be a bit more anxious, but she would follow her leader.

"We're going to start preparing now." Violetstar spoke up. "We'll attack their camp and send a message. Reminder that we are not AshClan, we are not there to kill, but if they try and do the same to you; defend yourself. Look out for your Clanmates and never turn your back on them."

Violetstar and Swiftheart quickly began working the warriors as they planned their attack. Mosswind and Icepool would be staying behind as they were sick, they would also be protected by Ebonywing and Ashfeather, as well as Ripplepaw. The rest of the Clan would be going.

"There will be two main attacking groups and one follow-up group. I will be leading one," Swiftheart explained. "The other will be lead by Violetstar and Brokenclaw will lead the follow-up group. Ferretpelt, Berryheart, Breezetail and Minnowstream will be with me." Swiftheart continued. "Daisyheart, Peachblossom, Swanfeather and Meadowsong with be in Brokenclaw's group and lastly, Tallsong, Shellstorm, Mothpool and Leopardpaw will be in the follow-up attack. Wait for Violetstar's call before you attack. My group will attack from the direction of the SunClan border, and Brokenclaw's from the LichenClan border."

"Get some prey," Violetstar spoke up. "Rest your bodies, we leave at sunset."

****

Leopardpaw's stomach felt like it was full of stones, she had barely managed to scarf down a mouse before the battle. Her paws twinged with anxiety, she still didn't feel like this fight was a good idea but she would do her best to serve her Clan. She had fought before, she remembered visibly her battle against Slateheart with Shellstorm. Together they had won against the arrogant tom, but she still didn't want to fight him again. She had been instructed to fight the apprentices, or stick with warriors. She would be he only MoonClan apprentice in the fight.

"Hey there." She jumped slightly as she heard Shellstorm's voice fill her ears. She looked up and turned to look at him. "You alright?"

"Just a little nervous." She avoided his gaze, not wanting to look cowardly in front of him.

"That's alright." He sat down beside her, his pelt brushing up against hers and sending sparks throughout her body. "We'll be alright, just a little fight. We have more warriors than AshClan, and we've already beat them once."

"We lost Shadowstar though..." She mewed softly, the scene all too fresh in her mind.

"And it won't happen again." He touched his tail to her shoulder. "Violetstar has nine lives, there's no risk of losing our leader."

"But no one else has nine lives." She sighed, looking down at her paws against the snowy ground.

"We'll be alright, I promise you." She felt his muzzle touch the top of her head, making her entire body burn. "I'll be by your side the whole time alright? We'll fight together just like we did last time."

She looked up, meeting his blue gaze and instantly felt safe. "Thank you..." She said softly, wanting nothing more than to be by his side.

"MoonClan warriors!" Violetstar's call rang out. "It's time to go!"

"Come on." Shellstorm nudged her to her paws. "Let's get going." His eyes exuded confidence in bravery and Leopardpaw did her best to feel the same way. She took a calming breath before she followed him to join with the rest of the Clan. The MoonClan warriors split into their respective groups Violetstar led them into the snowy moorland.

To avoid crossing into SunClan territory, they crossed into the gathering hollow. The sun was setting and the cold weather felt harsh. Leopardpaw found herself stepping closer to Shellstorm for warmth, and he wasn't stopping her. They padded side by side through the snow until they reached the AshClan border which they crossed with ease.

Immediately Leopardpaw was overwhelmed by the sickly scent of pine sap and felt needles digging into her already frozen paws. She couldn't imagine how AshClan cats lived in a place like this. The towering pine trees blocked the moon and the stars, making Leopardpaw feel trapped. Last time they fought it was in MoonClan's camp where thy had the advantage, now that advantage would be going to AshClan.

Leopardpaw hadn't even so much as looked at AshClan's camp before, but Violetstar seemed to know where she was going. As they trod through the pine forest, their leader eventually came to a stop and signaled with her tail for the groups to split up. Leopardpaw watched Swiftheart and Brokenclaw led their patrols away. Violetstar and her patrol followed behind, making sure their paw steps were completely silent against the snow, something MoonClan cats excelled at.

Through the trees, Leopardpaw saw the camp. A lone stone hollow guarded by the pine trees with many dens for their warriors. She saw two look outs, one looking towards them but unaware, it seemed to be Nightheart. The other one as Lilyclaw, the tabby she-cat sat alert facing where the MoonClan border would be.

Leopardpaw could do nothing but wait as the cold gripped their bodies. She cast a worried glance up at Shellstorm as she felt her heart pounding in her chest. Shellstorm looked back at her and gave her a reassuring nod. Feeling slightly more calm, Leopardpaw extended her claws and waited for the signal.

With her eyes focused on Nightheart, in the blink of an eye Swiftheart's patrol charged out from the shadow of the pine trees. Leopardpaw saw her yellow eyes go wide as Swiftheart tackled the AshClan she-cat to the ground. "AshClan we're under attack!" Lilyclaw's yowl sounded through the hollow and at her words, Brokenclaw's patrol attack.

AshClan warriors began to spill out from their dens, claws extended and teeth bared. She saw Riverstar emerging from a den in the back, her blue eyes filled with rage. "Now!" Violetstar called, her voice trembling with rage. Leopardpaw felt a burst of adrenaline and charged forward with her Clanmates. The once peaceful night had erupted with the sounds of battle and the scent of blood.

Leopardpaw made sure to stick with Shellstorm as he talked about, but almost instantly she lost track of his spotted silver pelt, she scanned the hollow but found herself face to face to a brown and white she-cat named Rabbitspring. The she-cat was smaller than most warriors, but she was quick and agile. Leopardpaw lashed out with her claws, hooking them into Rabbitspring's shoulder.

Rabbitspring hissed in annoyance and lashed out in return. Her claws connected with Leopardpaw's foreleg, drawing blood to her golden pelt. Leopardpaw jumped backwards, away from her grasp before using her superior speed to shoot froward and get underneath the warrior. She shoved her spine into Rabbitspring's belly, knocking her off balance.

Before Leopardpaw could move however, she felt Rabbitpsring's claws dig into her pelt and pull her down with her. The sharp pain of her claws made her wince, but she managed to scramble back to her paws. She felt Rabbitspring lash ou t at her hind flank as well, causing warm blood to run down her leg.

Leopardpaw spun around and lashed at Rabbitspring's face. Her claws ripped open the flesh above Rabbitspring's eyes and blood dripped down into her eyes. Rabbitspring stepped back and shook her head, unable to see. Leopardpaw took advantage of this by attacking again, slamming her body weight into Rabbitspring's side and knocking her to the ground, clawing down her flank once more.

Before Leopardpaw could do anything further a heavy weight slammed into her body and she fell hard on her shoulder onto the hard stone floor of the hollow. She felt pain burn up her shoulder but Leopardpaw knew she had to get up. She got back on her paws and met Slateheart's burning amber eyes.

Leopardpaw hissed at him and readied herself to fight him. "I could never imagine losing to an apprentice." He spat. "Especially a scrawny one like you."

The look in his eyes made Leopardpaw nervous, he was a dangerous opponent and she didn't think she could take him alone. Never turn your back on an AshClan warrior. Violetstar's words echoed in her mind and she forced herself to be brave. "You already have." Leopardpaw reminded him with a growl.

"It won't happen again, not without your little friend!" Slateheart launched himself and Leopardpaw did her best to dodge him but he was too fast. He slammed her back into the ground and she felt his claws ripping up her pelt, causing a searing hot pain across her body. She howled in pain but put her paws on Slateheart's shoulders, sinking her claws in as deep as they could go.

He let out a growl but sunk his teeth in her shoulder, dangerously close to her neck. Is he trying to kill me? Leopardpaw thought and panic began to take over her body, her moves becoming desperate.

"Get off of her!" Shellstorm's rage filled mew filled the air and Slateheart was pulled off Leopardpaw's body, his teeth and claws letting go as he howled in pain. Leopardpaw rolled away, her body burning in pain, she felt herself bleeding significantly from the wound on her shoulder. Her vision was blurred by pain but she managed to focus on the two toms.

"Some big brave warrior you are." Shellstorm growled as she lashed his claws across Slateheart's chest. "Attacking an apprentice!"

"Braver than you!" Slateheart yowled and jumped to tackle Shellstorm, his claws ripping deep into his spotted pelt and sending blood spraying onto the stone floor. Leopardpaw forced herself to her paws, refusing to let Shellstorm fight Slateheart alone. She mustered the last of her strength and jumped onto Slateheart's back, sinking her claws into his shoulder and doing her best to throw him off balance. "Pest!" Slateheart roared and spun around, making Leopardpaw lose her balance and fall to the ground.

He spun around met Shellstorm's incoming attack by clawing his foreleg, leaving long bloody claw marks. Before Leopardpaw could get back up, Slateheart was attacking her again, he pinned her onto back, his claws digging into her chest. "You're not beating me again!" He spat. "I'll never lose to a pathetic MoonClan cat again!" He raised his claw and fear crippled Leopardpaw's body. He's going to kill me!

"Shellstorm!" She cried out in fear for her friend and soon enough she saw a silver blur as his body slammed into Slateheart's, pinning him to the ground. She heard Slateheart howl in pain as she desperately got back onto her paws. Shellstorm tore into Slateheart's pelt, staining his dark pelt with blood. Slateheart was still going strong, his amber eyes burning fiercely with the fire of battle.

Shellstorm sank his teeth into Slateheart's shoulder and threw him to the side before running to Leopardpaw. "I'm getting you out of here." He nudged her to her paws.

"I'm fine!" She complained.

"No, you're not." Shellstorm started pushing her through the battle. "I'm not losing you tonight!" His voice was desperate and silenced her own. Her heart ached hearing the pain in his voice, she gave up and following him as they raced out of MoonClan camp.

She leaned against him, suddenly feeling drowsy and exhausted. "Sit down." He instructed calmly and Leopardpaw paw sat while he looked at the wound on her shoulder and he breathed out a sigh of relief. "The bleeding is already stopping, I'm not medicine cat but I think you'll be okay."

"You should get back in there." Leoarpdpaw panted, feeling the full agony of her wounds creep in as her adrenaline faded.

Shellstorm shook his head. "I'm not leaving you alone out here." He assured her. "They'll be fine without us."

Leopardpaw felt exhaustion and fear taking over and she leaned against Shellstorm once more for both physical and emotional support. "I hope so..." Her voice trailed off, fearing the worst awaited her Clan from the raging battle. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.1K 658 31
An Impossible Task... The travelling cats have been given their task, and it seems impossible. Owlpaw faces the challenge of convincing Sheer Mountai...
7.4K 235 45
Moonsky, a Squirrelclan warrior, gets incredibly mad when her best friend Pebbleclaw becomes leader and doesn't choose her to be deputy. Moonsky runs...
16.7K 504 24
The owl calls again... Owlkit's birth was unexpected, and her life almost ended before it began but despite the odds, she survived to become a SunCla...
20.1K 594 30
The choices of the brave and the mistakes of the frightened, will shape the forest with unsteady paws and claws that rain blood Honeypaw and Falconpa...