The Twin Rabbits (Yuki Sohma)

By larkobean

Katsumi Sohma is the little twin sister to Momiji Sohma, like her brother, she is possessed by the year of th... More

Prologue
How Do You Just Stop Talking?
YES, Please Cook!
I Too Am A Rodent.
Without You In It
Twins Are Cute
Sorry I Pissed You Off
Kyon-Kyon, Ich Liebe Dich
Garbage Collection Day?
Wen-Den, What?
Tomorrow, Then
What is That Look For?
Jason's Here?! (Part One)
Jason's Here?! (Part Two)
A Little Warning
No, You're Puurrfect.
Everyone's An Idiot...
Huh? 'They' Who?
Prove Your Prowess
To Thine Own Self Be True
At What Cost?
Sit There and Do Nothing
Yuki, Stop!
Ah Whatever, Come 'Ere Kid
You've Endured So Much Pain
Here For You!
Eat A Well Balanced Breakfast!
AUTHORS NOTE
How Could You Forget?

A Pitch Black World

821 37 1
By larkobean

It had been some time since the teens had returned from their trip. Yuki was frequently busy with the student council, and Tohru had spent sometime hanging out and getting to know Rin. She found herself longing for company, but didn't want to be a bother to anyone. They were all busy in some sort of way.

She sunk down into her warm bath, her long locks of soft blonde hair floated around her. Katsumi tilted her head back, staring blankly up at the ceiling. Lately, she had this uncomfortable feeling she couldn't rid herself from. It was like an itch she couldn't scratch. She couldn't put a finger on this feeling, but all she knew was that change was coming. Something astronomical, something life changing. However, she couldn't figure out what. Katsumi sighed, and dunked her head under the water. She could hear the soft beating of her heart echo through the water.

- - -

For as long as she can remember, she was always by Akito's side.

Dressed in a soft pink kimono, she knelt beside Yuki who closest to Akito. The young God was lying on his stomach flipping through a book. They were young, still just innocent children.

"Hey, did you know the rat was the first among all the zodiac animals? That means the rat is closer to God than all the others are. And that out of all of them, you're the one who's most similar to me. You're special, just like I am."

Back then, Akito favoured Yuki over her. She used to crave that attention from their God, she wanted someone to think she was special. The servants, the parents, everyone made a big deal over the bond between the young boys. They often discouraged Katsumi from interrupting the two from their engagements.

She spent all day, everyday inside waiting on Akito. The captive audience of zero, he was busy being obsessed with Yuki. As young as she was at the time, she didn't think to question anything, let alone object Akito's orders.

She came in carrying two steaming hot cups of green tea, only to let them crash to the ground as Yuki fell into a coughing fit. Katsumi fell down to her next to him, her small trembling hands gripping his shoulders.

"Shut up already," Akito snapped. "I hate your stupid cough, it's annoying!" Katsumi and Yuki shared a startled look, before turning back to look at their God with hurt and confusion worn on their faces.

Akito had tantrums, but they weren't like they are now. In fact, she remembered tears along with the screaming. It wasn't unusual to catch sight of Shigure comforting Akito. She didn't understand the sadness, or the frustration. Then one day, it got much worse. Akito's mind... Slipped over the edge.

She stood next to Yuki, her hands wringing together nervously as they watched Akito paint jet black ink against the shoji doors. Yuki grabbed her arm, watching with morbid curiosity at the breakdown the young Akito was having.

"This world... My world is pitch black. That's why I'm doing this, I need to make the room match. Make it dark too." Katsumi relaxed her hands, reaching out to the young God with her arms out stretched.

"Akito?"

"You're next, Yuki. You need to be pitch black like me. We've always been the same, and that can't change now. So, you have to become part of the darkness, its not fair if we're not the same!" His hand stilled, but his mind was still whirling. Katsumi placed her shaking hands on his shoulders,

"No wait, that's wrong. We're nothing alike, we can't be. Because I'm not useless."

"Useless?" Yuki questioned.

"Everyone needs me, I'm the chosen one. I'm here because all of you need me!" The ink dropped to the ground, and seeped deep into the tatami. "How could I ever think we were alike? You, you and Katsumi were just toys I could play with. Don't you see? Your mother gave you to me." Akito cackles, his eyes wide with hysterics.

"A-Akito, please." Katsumi whimpered, backing up and bumping into Yuki.

"I mean, you were basically thrown away! Get it through your head, idiot." Akito snarled, shoving Katsumi to the grown so he could grip tightly on Yuki's shoulders.

"The rat is despised by everyone," their God shoves Yuki to the ground. "No one cares about you at all, no one at all!"

"Stop it! No, no that's not true at all!" Katsumi cries, crawling over to Yuki and pulling him into a tight hug.

"Get out of here, you stupid rabbit! You're just as useless as stupid Yuki! Stop getting in my way." Akito kicks the small girl from her friend, sending her rolling backwards. The God turns his rabid attention back towards the rat, leaving Katsumi sprawled on the floor.

"You're lucky I'm here, I look out for you and if I didn't- then your life would be less than nothing, just like her!" Akito's pointed to her, a look of disgust twisting his face.

She realized something, that all her life she had never talked to any of the other zodiac members besides her brother and Yuki. They were always with Akito.

Yuki snagged Katsumi's arm as she rose to get a glass of water, he drug her away from the banquet and out the door.

"Ohh, the little cat child. Yes, he's always there."

"Really? Outside?"

"Yes, lurking around with a bitter look on his face. So rude."

"He's probably upset about being left out." The two young children overheard the servants chattering away as the zodiacs gathered in the other room. The two children look at each other, different reactions worn on their faces.

"The cat?"

"Oh, Kyo's here."

Katsumi grabbed Yuki's hand, and the two children made their way outside into the chilly evenings air. The sky was dark at this time, but the warmth of the lights from inside lit the inky darkness. Puffy snowflakes flittered from above, landing and melting as they met the warmth of their skin. Kyo made a soft noise of surprise as he turned to look at them, his amber eyes widened as realization of who was in front of him sunk in. His expression changed from surprise to a scowl.

"Um... I-"

"So, you're the rat?"

Yuki gasped softly, gripping her hand tightly before nodding once and making a soft hum in agreement.

"You- I won't forgive you." Kyo spat, making both the children gasp in surprise. The frozen air meeting the warmth of their breath created small clouds form around them.

"No matter what, I'll never forgive you! It's the rats fault, all of it! Because of you, because of you everything went wrong! You should just drop off the face of the earth!"

Yuki's hand went slack around hers, and his widen eyes got a far away look.

"Kyo!" Katsumi shouted, stepping forward. "That's not fair, don't say that!" However, the young ginger avoided her gaze and dashed away. Katsumi watched for a moment until his figure faded into the distance, before turning to Yuki who had tears running down his face. Katsumi threw her arms around him, letting him bury his face into her hair as his warm tears dripped down her icy cold cheeks. The young boy wept in her arms for some time, before finally settling down enough to go back inside.

The two held hands as they walk down the hall, heading straight back to the banquet; however, waiting for them was Yuki's mother a look of hatred clouding her face.

"Mom," Yuki's voice wavered only to be cut off by a sharp slap to his face. Katsumi gasped, and Yuki looked down at the floor.

"Where did you two wander off too?" She hissed, glaring down at the children in disgust. Yuki opened his mouth to answer, but Katsumi quickly cut him off.

"It's my fault, I wasn't feeling good an-" a hot stinging sensation brought her to her knees. She looked up in utter shock, her mouth hanging open mid sentence.

"Go back to the family head at once!" She shouted, pointing towards the door.

- - -

Katsumi cradled her head between her knees, Akito sat in front of her in a pitch black room. He tormented her with his words.

"Your deluding yourself... Listen, this world is dark. You'll spend you life along a pitch black path, with no hope and no chance of salvation. Don't ever allow yourself to think otherwise. You will never be saved. Not ever."

Everyday, she heard words like that. Every single day. Akito burned those pitch black thoughts into her. And eventually, she started to believe them. Nobody cared about her, she was worthless. Insignificant. And even when she reached out, hoping someone who save her- knowing she would only be looked at with indifference, or with hatred... She grew afraid to be seen. Around her, adults would constantly gossip. Talk about how her father allowed her to be sent here, how her family had special status for having twins, how disgusting it was of her mother for leaving her. Nobody was going to rescue her. Certainly not her father, he was busy coddling her brother. Everything was working out so well for them.

Katsumi rode silently in the car on her way to school, ignoring the mindless chatter the servant rattled off. She stared blankly out the window, her mind numb. Shouting drew her from her thoughts, out the window she saw her brother chasing after Kyo and Haru. They yelled, and laughed enjoying playful banter. Katsumi sat back into her seat, sinking down wishing she could turn to liquid and melt away.

Elementary school was difficult. She kept to herself as much as she was able too, and even if she tried she wouldn't have had any idea of how to talk to other kids. She didn't want them to hate her too.

Yuki had invited her to play with his friends from school, some of them had turned out to be Sohma's. They ran around, deciding to explore the estate. Katsumi laughed, holding tightly onto Yuki's hand as they laughed and played. They got carried away having so much fun they forgot to keep their distance from the other kids.

-poof-

Katsumi fell to the ground as a little rabbit. Yuki tried to hide her, but the incident had become huge.

In the end, it was Katsumi's fault Yuki's frinds had to have their memories erased.

"A person turning into a rabbit is obviously something no one would understand, people would be sickened by your existence and they'd begin to avoid you at all costs. You would be utterly alone. Is that what you want?"

Katsumi stared at the tightly shut window, tears bubbling from her heavy lidded eyes. Akito slid open the window and looked down at her, Yuki stood beside him looking equally as broken.

"Didn't I tell you? Don't delude yourself, fool."

- - -

Katsumi threw herself into Hatori's lap, sobbing as she begged for him not to erase their memories. She couldn't let her silly mistake ruin things for Yuki. He stared down at her blankly, trying to withdraw himself from her broken pleas.

"Please, please don't erase their memories! They're the first friends Yuki ever made! Please don't let my stupidity ruin things for him!"

But, just like that... Katsumi had made things worse for Yuki. Just like that, she slipped further into the darkness Akito beckoned her into.

There was something she wanted... Parents that would embrace her, a home she liked retuning too. A place where everyone smiled, a version of herself that people wouldn't avoid.

Katsumi was walking home from school, when loud sobs caught her attention. She rounded the corner, and stopped dead in her tracks when she found Yuki kneeling down on the ground- his body wracking with gut wrenching sobs. Katsumi's stomach hit the ground. She stumbled over to him, and all but kissed the ground in front of him as she bowed deep in apology.

"I-I'm so sorry, Yuki! It's all my fault!" He shook his head an pulled her into a tight hug, but she couldn't accept his apology. She knew this was all her fault.

Yuki forgave her, or at least on the surface. But, Katsumi? She couldn't forgive herself. She would devote herself to finding a way to break the curse, so she could set Yuki free. Till she could set them all free.

- - -

Katsumi paced back and forth frantically, Yuki had disappeared from the estate for hours. The maids had gone to check on him, but he turned up missing. Everyone searched high, and low but he hadn't been found. Her mind had succumbed to the pitch black thoughts. What if Akito had done something to him? What if he had died? Every time the door slid open, the small girl jumped to her feet to see who had come- but, alas it was never Yuki.

As the night turned to day, and the sun began to peak through the mountains- the door to the annex slid open revealing a breathless Yuki sporting a blue cap. Katsumi jumped to her feet, large tears spilling from her eyes.

"Yuki!" She sobbed, rushing forward to pull the exhausted boy into her arms. "I was so worried!"

He looked at her, his eyes wide with surprise as she sobbed into his arms. The surprise faded into a somber look, before he hugged her back so tightly she almost couldn't breathe.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I worried you."

This world isn't all brightness and light, but it's not all dark either. There's more than just darkness, she knew that now, much more.

- - -

"I'm home! Sorry I'm late!" Yuki's voice shouted as he entered the door. Katsumi's head broke the surface of the water, and she drew in a huge breath then smiled.

"Welcome home! Working hard as usual for the Student Council, I see. Dinners almost ready!" Tohru responded.

The house filled with with happy chatter, proof of the way life had changed around her. Life wad not all darkness, she hadn't been sure of that before; but, now she has experienced both sorrow, and happiness. And such as the season change, life does too. Beneath her Yuki argues with Kyo, while Tohru tries to mediate and Shigure complains. Katsumi tuck shakes her head with a weary smile, her muscles still tense from the memories... She rubbed her thumb over the smooth pendant that rested between her collarbones, feeling comfort unwind her aching back. In time, she prayed that more happy days were to come.

Katsumi was running a brush through her damp hair, when a soft knock came from the other side of the door.

"Katsumi, dinner is rea-" she threw open the door, and pulled Yuki into a tight hug. At first he was caught off guard by her sudden display of affection, then he returned her hug with equal strength.

"Soon the sun will wash away this pitch black world. I feel it coming." She whispered against his chest.

- - -
Hello hello! I'm sorry for all these fillers, I'm working to find my groove again!

Much love!
Author-Chan ♥️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 5.4K 55
Natsu and Tohru Honda had recently lost their mother in a car accident. Fate has it's ways, as the Honda sisters stumble across the Sohma family and...
12K 575 17
"Even when the world doesn't need us, we live for the people who do" "So do you need me?" "Of course I do." A warm smiled graced her features as sh...
166K 4K 45
"So, you like drawing rats?" "I guess, from all the animals, I like drawing the rat the most" Mizuki Hirose, foster sister of Tohru Honda. Afraid of...
4.5K 124 19
The Sakamaki's are living there lives in peace with there new guest until they are forced to move. Regretfully leaving everything behind. But rest a...