Cold as Ice → Max Verstappen

By SuspiciouslySav

With the motorsport world finally putting light on the women of racing, one racer was ready to work her way u... More

𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓
𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭
𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧
i| Kimi's Kid
ii| Karting
iii| Elijah
iV| Lake side
V| Milton Keynes
Vi| Good Luck charm
Vii| Robyn Saunders
Viii| The bet
iX| Bright lights
X| Bottle of...water?
Xi| Broken Hearts
Xii| A father's threat
Xiii| Protection of friends
XiV| Simple life
XV| Driver girlies
XVi| Monaco
XVii| Dirt Track
XViii| Snowflakes
XiX| The hike
XX| The Launch
XXi| Call me a freind
XXiii| Kill for me
XXiV| Whirlwinds
XXV| Two surprises, one day
XXVi| All over again
XXVii| Maxsplaining
XXViii| Destiny
XXiX| Luck
XXX| Lights Out
XXXi| The Red Bull shirt
XXXii| Beautiful
XXXiii| Through the snow
XXXiV| A slope and bottle
XXXV| Monaco and Mira
XXXVi| Verstappens
XXXVii| The Trophy
XXXViii| Band is back together
XXXiX| Expect the unexpected
XL| A Chance
Epilogue
ℝ𝕖𝕒𝕕 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖

XXii| The Stare

1.6K 61 8
By SuspiciouslySav

Italics: Finnish

●▬▬▬▬▬ ⋆🧊🇫🇮 ⋆ ▬▬▬▬▬●

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Come and get it

"When you're ready, come and get it

Na, na, na, na"

When Anneli heard that Felipe was going to potentially drive in his first Formula 1 race, she was ecstatic. For once, it was easy to tell as her smile radiated brightly. He would be driving in practice and if Lance Stroll's injury didn't get better, he'd be racing too.

Anneli had never met Lance but it seemed only right to route for Felipe being able to drive.

Sadly for her but good news for Lance Stroll, he was able to race. Felipe still got the experience of another practice as well as staying in the garage for the rest of the weekend (though he was likely to be there most of the time anyway).

KImi had arrived on Friday but had stayed away from the Formula 1 paddock and been in the Formula 2 one to keep his daughter company. He was accompanied by Antonio Giovinazzi every day he was there, who was in his Ferrari shirt as he was their reserve driver and Le Mans driver this year.

"Good morning Arthur," Anneli spoke calmly as she walked into the DAMS area.

It was Sunday and an hour away from the first feature race of the season. So far, Anneli had gotten P2 in Qualifying on Friday and proceeded to win the Sprint Race to leave her with Pole position for the race.

The F2 was always a lot earlier than F1, which Anneli preferred so she could watch the F1 races. The feature race was due to start at 1:20pm in Bahrain.

"Dad, Tonio, this is Arthur," Anneli introduced. "Arthur, this is my dad, Kimi, and Antonio."

Arthur seemed to remain calm as he shook Kimi's hand but Anneli could see the faint admiration in his eyes. Antonio gave Arthur a kind smile and a wave.

"I need to get ready, I'll see you after the race," said Anneli to her father.

An hour later, Anneli was sat on the grid watching the red lights count down, hands gripping the steering wheel and her face fully focused and relaxed. 

Anneli got a good start as the lights went out, firmly ahead of Theo Pourchaire in second.

"Okay, Anneli, you've got Pourchaire behind you but you are faster currently," said Liam through the radio.

"Copy."

This didn't particularly mean much as a safety car was soon in place a couple of laps later with a collision of a few of the other cars. Anneli checked to make sure everyone was okay and it wasn't Arthur before regaining her full focus again.

When the safety car ended, there was nothing standing between Anneli and that win. At the halfway point, she led the pack by twelve seconds from Boschung, Arthur, Maini and Bearman.

Anneli couldn't describe the feeling of racing exactly but for her, it was like an artist running a paintbrush along a canvas. Sometimes you made mistakes that you could cover up with more paint and other times, there was nothing you could do but try your best to work with what you had. Sometimes you run out of paint. Yet, you still loved doing it because it was your favourite thing to do in the world.

Not that her expressions ever gave that away.

It was only when she crossed the finish line in P1 that you saw Anneli's more adventurous and exciting sides. She wasn't the type to scream down her radio about winning and she always thanked her team first but you could hear the happiness in her voice.

She was always happy winning races when her dad was there too. She'd been lucky that her dad could afford to put her through racing and he didn't have to...but he did. Anneli always felt that winning paid that back even if Kimi said that's not what mattered. Anneli's happiness mattered.

Standing on the podium and seeing her dad as she was handed a trophy made it all the more worthwhile and she grinned when she saw Felipe standing with Antonio and Fernando Alonso as well. They were her family. Not many people saw Anneli grinning unless she was on a podium.

Then she locked eyes with Max Verstappen.

He was standing with Christian Horner, looking up at the podium with curiosity...impressed with her racing. It wasn't just that either, Anneli had such a mysterious side to her but there was nothing mysterious about her podiums.

As the national anthems of France and Finland were played, Max and Anneli stayed staring at each other for a reason neither could place.

⋯⋯⋯⋯⊱🧊⊰⋯⋯⋯⋯

Walking through the F1 Paddock with Fernando Alonso was always going to attack some attention but Anneli underestimated quite how much. She'd simply wanted to walk with Felipe and Fernando to Aston Martin before making her way to Red Bull. Her dad was going to Ferrari with Antonio.

"You can always switch to Aston Martin," Fernando joked as they made it to Aston Martin hospitality. "No one will blame you."

"Fernando, you can't keep trying to persuade me," Anneli replied in amusement. "Don't you think my dad hasn't already tried to switch me to Alfa Romeo or that Jack wants me to go with Alpine?"

"But I am your favourite—"

"I don't have favourites, Nando!" Anneli shook her head. "Okay, maybe Felipe but—"

"Aha! Liar!" Fernando grinned. "But Felipe is Aston Martin too, no? Case won."

"Very funny, goodbye Fernando," Anneli hummed. "Bye Felipe."

Anneli hummed as she walked towards the Red Bull garage, a lanyard around her neck and wearing her Red Bull cap. 

She'd spent the past couple of hours in a press conference, getting changed and having a small post-race meeting. There wasn't too much to talk about with the positive result but the team always went over what didn't go well or could be improved. Anneli was a good driver in that way; she always pointed out her flaws so someone could suggest a way to improve them.

"Congrats on your win again, Anneli," Christian Horner as he walked past her.

"Thank you."

"Hey Anneli," Max greeted kindly as she got to the main area of the garage.

He was getting his gear on, ready to take the car around the track and to the grid so the mechanics could work on it.

"You were at my podium celebrations," Anneli spoke directly but kindly.

"I watched the race and Christian likes to watch the podiums of the junior drivers," Max replied smoothly. "You raced well, you deserved to win."

"Thanks," Anneli smiled. "I guess I should wish you to win as well."

"You don't have to want me to win. A lot of people don't."

"No...no...I want you to win," Anneli denied quickly. "I'll be at your podium."

"Promise?" Max joked.

"I do what I say Verstappen," Anneli replied, glancing at him before walking to the viewing area.

When Max did win, Anneli found herself staring up at him just like he did to her just hours ago. He was standing on the top step podium with Robyn Saunders on one side and Fernando Alonso on the other. There they were again; different anthems and reversed roles in staring.

Perhaps this was the start of a reassuring habit for the two.

Anneli wasn't sure how to feel about that.

Here's something to appreciate :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 2.6K 45
Two people, separate souls, equal affiliations Destined to be together eventually... Pierre Gasly, Alpine Driver, Grand Prix Winner Francesca Lewis...
44.3K 776 40
Hi, i'm Mia Verstappen. Yes, Verstappen as in the younger sister of Max verstappen and this is my story! Disclaimer: the book does not follow the rea...
334K 10.1K 51
Elodie Carter is starting her career in formula one at the very bottom in Williams. On top of the regular pressures of a driver, she's the first fema...
3.3K 185 9
Lily Stroll had been stepping out of her brother's shadow and making an even bigger spotlight for most of her life. A media darling, when her contrac...