Forbidden Love (Rewritten) |...

By Ashleyy1005

"I am burdened with glorious purpose." ° ° ° When the Old Religion and the Norse Arts meet in a battle for th... More

PREFACE
ACT I : CAST
1 • THE DRAGON'S CALL
2 • VALIANT
3 • THE MARK OF NIMUEH
4 • THE POISONED CHALICE
5 • LANCELOT
7 • THE GATES OF AVALON
8 • THE BEGINING OF THE END
9 • EXCALIBUR
10 • THE MOMENT OF TRUTH
11 • THE LABYRINTH OF GEDREF

6 • A REMEDY TO CURE ALL ILLS

130 10 0
By Ashleyy1005

Once again, Eowyn had woken up earlier than usual. So early in the morning that the sun was just beginning to peek into the world. Under the soft light of dawn, Eowyn — already all dressed and washed — began making breakfast for both Gaius and Merlin who were still asleep.

She had not advanced much in her research regarding her dreams or her nature. It was quite frustrating, especially since it had changed which was the reason she had woken earlier. This time, it was more frightening. The soothing atmosphere that had prevailed in her previous dreams had completely disappeared to give way for an oppressing, crushing, and deathly one, as the immaculate room was being invaded by orange and red-like flames dancing in the air. The woman and the man had vanished and only the baby remained, lonely, at the center of the bedroom. Her cries, clear and neat, resonated and grew louder and louder and louder and louder until Eowyn had woken up in panic.

It was the first time she truly felt fright in the realm of dreams. It was her first nightmare. So intense, so disturbing that she had failed to find sleep again. So she decided to occupy her mind and thus began cooking breakfast. But even then, her mind would wander back to this strange nightmare.

"I knew you were an early bird but this is very early, even for you," she heard.

Looking behind, she saw Gaius sitting on his bed. The way he yawned indicated to her that he had just woken up. He blinked numerous times the time his eyes adjusted to the light as Eowyn placed the sandwiches she had made on the table.

"Good morning, Gaius," she smiled as he stood up and began walking to sit at the table. Eowyn grabbed cups and the water bottle and served him a glass. "I couldn't sleep well so I figured I'd make breakfast,"

"Something's bothering you, my child?"

Gaius had noticed how Eowyn had begun waking earlier and earlier every day, and how she had begun reading more and more books about creatures and legends. He had sensed that something was weighing on her mind but wished not to brusque her, and wanted her to come ask him when she felt like she needed it. But perhaps he should tackle the topic on his own.

"I have noticed that... though I wish he would be more careful, Merlin openly uses magic. But it is not the case for you,"

Eowyn remained silent. She sat down across from Gaius. She seemed to be lost in her thoughts, perhaps wondering what words to use or whether or not she should tell Gaius.

"That is because Merlin loves being a sorcerer. He loves magic," she quietly said.

"Isn't it the case for you?"

Eowyn remained silent again. A slight frown appeared on her brow as if she did not know the answer herself, rather, did not know how to phrase it.

"I don't particularly like it, but I don't dislike it either, I'm just... scared," she admitted. "Merlin is different but he knows what his difference is. He's a sorcerer, a warlock. But I'm not. So if I'm not human, and if I'm not a sorceress... then what am I? Why am I like this? Why can I only conjure and control the wind? Why does the wind only interact with me? I want to know. But practicing magic is forbidden. Prohibited. I have always been told not to use it, to conceal it. One wrong move and I'm dead and I don't want to die... And sometimes... I shamefully ask myself... what if Uther is right? What if magic corrupts? Magic... creates so many possibilities and we've seen what it does when wrongfully used. It gives so much power and no one should possess that much power. What if... what if I practice and nurture this power... what if I become evil? What if I let myself be corrupted? I don't want to hurt anyone...,"

Gaius did not answer immediately. He had never realized, no, he had never fathomed that Eowyn could be this frightened of her own self. Of her own abilities. She did not not use magic out of carefulness, but simply out of fear. Her mind was plagued with doubts regarding who she was but also regarding who she would become.

"You can either embrace what you are or fear it," Gaius said. "But never will you ever become evil,"

"How can you be so sure...?"

"Because you are asking yourself all these questions. Never someone who cares so much about not hurting people can become evil,"

It did move Eowyn to hear Gaius have so much faith in her, but her doubts still remained. No one knew what the future could hold and her biggest fear was to become the very thing Uther fears. If her biological parents abandoned her, it must be because something was not right with her.

Seeing that troubles were still present in her mind, Gaius stood up and began walking towards the library.

"You know, since you have got here, in Camelot, I have been watching you closely,"

"Should I fear it?" Eowyn said with a hint of playfulness as she watched Gaius browsing among his large collection of books.

"No, no," he let out a chuckle and returned to the table. He placed e book, leathered and with golden ornaments of the kind she had never seen before. "But I believe this might help you. This is the only thing I have found out,"

Eowyn opened it but a frown flawed her brow when she noticed the unknown inscriptions on the yellowed pages. The texts were not written with letters but with symbols, she had never encountered prior to this day. On each page was a painting of a being with immaculate skin, pointed ears, white hair, and of the greatest beauty; the beings were sometimes with a book, sometimes with vials, sometimes with bows and arrows, and sometimes in the forest surrounded by the wind.

"What is this?" Eowyn asked. "What is this language?"

"I fear I cannot answer you for I do not have any answer to give you," Gaius sat down. "This book is very ancient, among the oldest books I own. Older than myself even. I have never encountered this language and have never deciphered it. All I know about these beings is what is drawn in inside. They appear to be beautiful, talented in archery, and gifted with intelligence and wind magic. Just like you,"

Eowyn stared at the painting, detailing it and engraving it in her mind. They did share many similarities, especially in the abilities that they each possessed. But without understanding what was written, she could not be certain that this was a discovery or an illusion.

"You think I might be like them? Although, I don't look similar,"

"Indeed. But as I said, this book is very ancient. These might be the first people who have evolved and adapted to be like you,"

"Do you know where I can find these people?"

Gaius shook his head. "I have never encountered any being like this and as I cannot understand what is written inside... I never found out,"

Eowyn looked down at the book for a moment.

"Thank you, Gaius. It's already more than I could ever wish for,"

"If someone can decipher this language, it's you," he smiled.

Eowyn gently smiled and closed the book. She stood up and was about to head back to her room when she remembered:

"How was Morgana when you last saw her yesterday? Is she doing any better?"

Among the many worries that had been plaguing Eowyn's mind was the odd and sudden illness that struck Lady Morgana. Neither Gais nor Eowyn had yet to figure out why the King's ward was unable to wake up. She had no fever or trace of any kind of wound. From the preliminary investigation done, Morgana had not fainted nor felt sick which suggested she had not been poisoned. She was but a sleeping beauty in her bed. Gaius's theory was that the Lady was suffering from a brain inflammation but could not be a hundred percent sure. It had been two days already and no advancement was made, the king was growing more impatient and worried, and Morgana's life expectancy was decreasing. Worry and concern were becoming more and more prominent in Eowyn's mind but she forced herself to remain pragmatical and serene. If she let her emotions get the best of her, she would not be able to save her friend.

"Not any better...," Gaius sighed. "Seemingly not any worse but the brain is a very complex thing. If we don't find anything soon...," he sighed again. "We will see her after breakfast for our daily examination,"

Eowyn nodded. She returned to her room just as Merlin began to wake up. As he sleepily greeted her and left to eat breakfast, Eowyn laid the book on her bedside table that was already full of volumes and handiworks. Piles of publications also lay at the foot of her bed. When they had diagnosed Morgana with this unknown illness, Eowyn began researching for causes and cures. Gaius's treatment, Rosemary, and yarrow were seemingly ineffective on Morgana so the old man had asked his apprentice to look for alternative solutions. So far, Eowyn had found nothing.

Once Gaius had finished preparing, he and Eowyn left for the Lady Morgana's Chambers. Uther and Arthur were already present and utmost concern and anxiety were clear on their faces. Morgana was part of the family, a daughter to Uther and a close friend Arthur had grown up with. Losing her was not something they could accept nor would they.

Standing by the wall, Eowyn observed Gaius examining Morgana an nth time under the preoccupied eyes of the king. From the grave and solemn look on the Physician's face, Eowyn knew that the news he had to bring was not the best.

"I cannot preserve her life for much longer. She has hours, maybe less,"

"We cannot let her die!"

"Arthur, please," Uther demanded, almost exhausted by the worry.

"There's a man, he came to the castle yesterday. He claims he can cure her," Arthur continued.

"That's ridiculous. He doesn't know what's wrong with her,"

"He says he has a remedy that can cure all ills,"

"Impossible," Gaius immediately debunked.

"But for Morgana's sake, surely we should at least hear him out," Arthur defended his point. "I mean, what've we got to lose? Please, Father,"

Uther fell silent. He was now considering the option. Seeing that, Gaius stepped in. All ill couldn't be cured by one remedy alone for every illness was different, functioned differently, and thus must be cured differently. Some components could be found in different remedies but it was the addition of several ingredients working together that make an antidote efficient. But some components can aggravate an illness which is the very reason behind the existence of countless remedies. And no need to add to that the issues of allergies. No element alone on earth possessed all medicinal properties that ever existed and was capable of curing any disease.

"Probably some charlatan hoping for a quick shilling," the physician told the king.

"I don't care!" Arthur exclaimed. "If she's about to die, what harm can it do? Give him his shilling! If there's one chance in a million he can save her, then why not?"

Uther was lost in his thoughts, considering the options further and further. Gaius glanced at Eowyn whose expression was perplexed yet troubled. She, too, knew that such a remedy could not exist. Though she agreed with Arthur on the fact that they had nothing to lose anymore, the man's apparition seemed too opportune, too well-timed. Only the courtiers knew about Morgana's illness so how did this unknown man who just arrived in town, and had seemingly no ties with the nobility, find out about it? It was odd. Too odd.

"Send for him," Uther finally ordered.

At once, Arthur left to fetch the man. Uther remained for a few minutes with Morgana. It was the first time Eowyn saw him express feelings aside from anger. He was but a worried man, not the cruel and egotistical King. He seemed... human.

When Arthur returned, they all left for the throne room where the man was waiting. When the doors opened, a man with brown hair, the face half burnt, stood. When he saw the king entering, he kneeled and lifted a rolled parchment.

"Edwin Muirden, Sire. Physician and loyal servant," he introduced himself.

Uther took the parchment, probably Edwin's credentials, and briefly read as he said "Welcome to Camelot,"

As the man was still kneeling, Gaius's eyes remained on him.

"Have we met before?" The old man asked.

Edwin stood up. "I doubt you would forget a face like mine, sir,"

"Do you really believe you have a remedy?" Uther then asked.

"There are not many ills that I have not seen and successfully treated, Sire. So when I heard of the Lady Morgana's sickness, I felt honor bound to offer my services,"

Eowyn's eyebrows furrowed. Her sharp eyes lingered on him and examined every little expression, gimmick, mimick, mannerism, anything that could help him decipher that man. He spoke with a present humble voice, in a serene pace giving a sense of mystery. Or suspicion.

"You say you have a cure for all? An antidote for everything?" Gaius inquired.

"Yes. Although it is not quite as simple as that,"

"Gaius is the court physician," Uther specified.

At once, Edwin faced Gaius and bowed. "You are indeed a legend, sir. I am delighted to meet you," Eowyn's eyes slightly narrowed. It appeared to her that Edwin was speaking in favor of his interlocutory, telling what people wanted to hear, flattering and teasing to make himself appreciated, trusted, unsuspected. "I am curious to know what it is that has affected her,"

"An infection of the brain,"

Edwin looked, a little surprised, at Eowyn who had spoken. But the surprise quickly shifted into a sort of interest

"And your treatment?" He asked. His eyes were looking straight at hers were cold, apathetic, and almost austere.

"Yarrow," her answer was short, sharp, neat, like a cut to the flesh.

Seeing the atmosphere suddenly tensing and Eowyn's hostility growing, Gaius intervened. Though he appreciated his apprentice's defense, triggering a conflict in front of the King was not the best idea. So he added: "Rosemary to stimulate cerebral circulation,"

"Interesting," Edwin mused, letting his voice hang to trigger a reaction from the royal family. Which worked.

"Why? What would you suggest?" Arthur asked.

"No, no, no, that is all fine. All good. If that is... the right diagnosis,"

Eowyn had to contain her scoff. He was good with words, a sly and agile manipulator.

"What would your diagnosis be?" Uther questioned.

"Well, without examining the patient..."

"He should examine her," Arthur suggested and Uther nodded.

"I would need my equipment,"

"Of course. You'll have use of one of the guest chambers,"

"And consider my manservant at your disposal," Arthur added.

"I will start to work immediately," Edwin said as he respectfully bowed and left.

An hour had passed before Edwin had finally arrived at Morgana's room. The guards had installed all his equipment in a room which had taken quite some time. Eowyn had seen guards carrying a long and complex-looking system that seemed to be used to alchemy. It did seem that Edwin possessed knowledge about science, however, it still was not enough to earn her trust. There was no remedy on earth that could heal all ills. Nature was a wonder but even as wonderful as it was, it did not offer the possibility to cure every disease. The only thing that allowed it was magic.

Eowyn looked at Morgana. A disease never seen before, uncurable with conventional means, and a man appearing with a remedy to everything... it seemed very theatrical, dramatic, tragic. No hope left for Morgana, everyone's fearing the worst, but Edwin appears out of nowhere like a savior with a miracle in hand. A miracle that could not be created by nature. It appeared so obvious that she had not even seen it. However, with no solid proof, she stood no chance.

Eventually, Edwin arrived with Merlin. Seeing him in action would have been the perfect way to study him, but he requested "privacy and peace". But it was not irritating, no, it was perfect. His request was already another clue that worked with Eowyn's suspicions.

Uther, with Arthur, Gaius, and Eowyn, waited by the staircase leading to Morgana's chambers. Eventually, after less than an hour, Edwin returned.

"Great news, Your Majesty," he hurried down. "You will be glad to hear it is not an inflammation of the brain,"

Eowyn frowned.

"What is it then?" Uther asked.

"It is cerebral hemorrhage,"

Gaius frowned as well, taking a step. "Haemorrhage? I don't think so,"

Edwin stared at him for a second, eyes solemn, and lifted a bloodied tissue.

"I found this trace of blood in her ear," he said.

Uther grew livid. "God in heaven...,"

"The severity depends upon the size and volume of the bleed," Edwin continued. "If not treated, it can lead to coma, and eventually death,"

At once, hearing the gravity of the situation, Uther turned to Gaius, reproachful. "How could you have missed this?"

"I didn't see any blood,"

"Please," Edwin intervened as if in an attempt to stop the situation from escalating. But it quickly came to Eowyn's understanding that he only wanted to subtly insist on putting the blame on Gaius. "Just thank the fates that you did not administer more rosemary to stimulate the circulation. Can you imagine what that might have done?"

Uther turned to Gaius again. Under his gaze, waiting for an explanation, Gaius had no choice but to answer quietly. "It may have increased the bleed...,"

"Is there a cure?" Uther then turned to Edwin.

"See for yourself," he only smiled.

When they returned to Morgana, the lady was sitting on her bed, alright. Uther rushed to her side, relief. And though Eowyn did feel great relief, she could not help but feel perplexed, especially when she stated that she did not know what Edwin had given her. This case was too strange.

Uther and Arthur remained with Morgana for a moment to make sure she was alright. Eowyn returned to the Physician's chambers as Gaius desired to have a small conversation with Edwin. As for Merlin, having been assigned to assist Edwin and still being Arthur's manservant, he remained at their disposal.

In the physician's chambers, Eowyn was pacing as she waited for Gaius. Something was truly odd with Morgana's illness, the disappearance of the illness, and most of all, with Edwin himself. When Gaius returned, she decided to share her suspicions with him.

"Gaius, this Edwin boy cannot be trusted,"

The old man did not answer immediately. He seemed lost in his thoughts, then eventually looked back at Eowyn.

"On what do you base your suspicions?"

"The simple fact that he appeared when we needed him the most," she explained. "Words of Morgana's illness did not pass the gates of this castle, yet a man who does not live here suddenly shows up with the very thing we need. It's odd. And yes, I agree, this can still be considered coincidental, but his diagnosis is wrong. There was no blood in her ear when we examined her three times. Besides, a cerebral hemorrhage is caused by head trauma hard enough to burst the blood vessels. However, during our preliminary investigation, we did not find any trace of commotion on her head. Furthermore, Morgana has no record of past illness that could provoke a cerebral hemorrhage. She is a healthy woman with a healthy lifestyle. This does not make any sense,"

Though the situation was grave, Gaius still flashed a discreet smile. If he were to leave, Eowyn would make a great Physician.

"So what do you believe he has done?"

"Magic," she declared. "Whatever that afflicted her and whatever that healed her, it was magic. It's the only plausible conclusion,"

Again, Gaius remained silent for a moment. Eowyn looked at him curiously as he was lost in his thoughts. His eyebrows slightly furrowed before and turned around and began to head.

"Where are you going?" Eowyn asked.

"There is something I must check," was the only thing he said before leaving.

Eowyn looked at the door, a little confused, before letting out a sigh. There was nothing more she could do.

Eowyn did not encounter either Gaius or Merlin until nightfall. Her brother had been helping Edwin around while also tending to his tasks as Arthur's manservant. As for Eowyn, she, with Gwen, had remained with Morgana to make sure she was truly alright. She had truly been frightened to lose her friends and was more than relieved to see her smiling and walking as if she had never been ill. However, a part of Eowyn could not help but feel irritated at the fact that her friend had most likely been a pawn in a greater scheme. Life was not something to play with. It was fragile but beautiful and must be cherished. And if Edwin was ready to endanger one's life for whatever his purpose was, he must be truly dangerous.

Akin to the past few weeks, at dawn the day after, Eowyn had woken up early. She washed, got dressed, and made breakfast, before leaving for the forest to pick medicinal herbs and refill their stocks. Eowyn liked doing this type of errand. Having the soft breeze in her hair, smelling the pleasing scent of flowers, and hearing the brushing of the leaves soothed her. It was like a soft calming lullaby.

Eowyn stopped. She sat down on the ground and looked at the trees, at the grass, at the sky. What if the wind could help her decipher the foreign language the book was written in? It was conscious, at least with Eowyn. It had always helped her, guided her when she was lost, or warned her when a danger was coming. Perhaps it could also help her understand this language.

She let out a sigh and grabbed her basket. It was a silly thought. Though the wind had a consciousness, it could not speak. Eowyn would have no way to understand what it would be trying to say. She was on her own in this mission.

When she had enough flowers, Eowyn took the direction of the town. When she got back, Merlin had already left to run errands for Edwin.

"I got more hyssop and valerian," Eowyn said once she entered the room. Gaius, who had been sitting on a chair lost in his thoughts, looked at her. She placed her basket full of flowers on a table. "I think we might have enough for months if we preserve them well enough,"

"What would I do without you, eh?" Gaius chuckled. Eowyn smiled.

"You've survived without me long enough, you'd do perfectly well. I, on the other hand, would be lost without you," Eowyn paused a moment. Her eyes grew even more gentle. "I never had a father but since I've met you, I feel like I have one now,"

Gaius's eyes filled themselves with tenderness as he came to hug his pupils. He had no children, biological children, but since he met Merlin and Eowyn, it was as if he had two. Which was why he would do anything for them.

"Gaius," they both heard. Looking at the door, they saw Arthur. Eowyn gazed at him a little confused at the grave expression on his face. "My father needs to speak to you,"

Eowyn hardly gulped. She looked at her mentor who did not seem fazed.

"When?"

"Immediately,"

Gaius remained silent for a second. He looked at Eowyn and gently patted her shoulder before leaving with Arthur. It was not good. Whatever Edwin was planning, it was advancing while she could do nothing. It was clear that he wanted to push Gaius away but why? What was his motive? What was his goal? Was he only seeking the position of court physician? No, it was too weak of a reason to plot such a plan. It must be something stronger. If he truly was a sorcerer, perhaps it was linked to magic. Perhaps he has been wronged. But why whom? Gaius? It seemed unlikely.

"Oh, you're back?" She heard Merlin say as he entered the room. "Where's Gaius?"

"Arthur has come to bring him to the king,"

Merlin froze. "Why?"

"He is believed to have wrongly diagnosed Morgana who could have died. Why do you think Uther wants to see him for?"

Merlin had gone livid. "You think he wants to retire Gaius?"

"I don't think he wants to fire Gaius. I'm certain of it,"

"But he hasn't made any mistake!" Merlin exclaimed. "I know he hasn't!"

"Yes, but Edwin has entered his head, Uther only listens to him! From the very start, he has destroyed Gaius's credibility so he can retire him and take his place!"

"Edwin?" Merlin frowned, confused.

"Yes, Edwin! I'm sure he's the one who brought this illness upon Morgana so he could cure her and get a way into the castle!"

"But why would he do that?"

"I don't know but I'm not gonna let him get rid of Gaius like that,"

Eowyn did not give Merlin time to answer as she stormed off the chambers. She rapidly crossed corridors and headed to the Prince's chambers. There was no way she could address the King but she could perhaps convince Arthur would could then convince the king himself. If there was someone who could truly reach Uther's cold heart, it was his son. Eowyn could not get rid of Edwin but she could, perhaps, get Gaius to keep his job.

When Eowyn got the the prince's chambers, she did not even bother to knock on the door and opened the door, which startled Arthur. He was preparing to go train and was quite surprised to see a very irked Eowyn.

"You have to convince the King to rehabilitate Gaius," she demanded. "Sacking him is unfair and unjust,"

Arthur inhaled and placed his sword on the table. "He has made a mistake. A mistake that nearly killed Morgana,"

"He hasn't made any mistake. I was there. There was no blood,"

"Well, maybe you're wrong,"

Eowyn scoffed.

"Wrong?" She repeated, and the tone of her voice was enough to tell him that he had offended her. "With all due respect, my Lord, out of the two of us, I'm the one who has the skills and knowledge to recognize an illness and Lady Morgana had no cerebral hemorrhage when we examined her,"

"Look, no one wants Gaius to go-"

"Then stop this madness!"

"Eowyn, this wasn't the only mistake," Seeing the confusion on her face, he elaborated: "Edwin has undertaken a review of his work and he has found numerous errors in the court medical records,"

Eowyn scoffed again. "Let me see these medical records then. I have the sufficient knowledge to undertake a review as well and tell you if there really are mistakes,"

"Eowyn...," Arthur seemed hesitant. He had seen her in action and he believed in her abilities, but at the same time, she was close to Gaius. Could she truly be impartial?

"What? So you choose to trust someone you've just met instead of someone you've known for years?!" Arthur remained silent. "You know Gaius! He has been taking care of Morgana for years! He has healed you countless times! But you're ready to throw him away when the first doubt arises? If you sack Gaius, then consider me gone as well!"

Before Arthur could answer anything back, Eowyn left his chambers. Outside, she stopped for a few seconds. Gaius was the father she had never had and she knew Merlin felt the same way. She could not let him be disrespected and framed in such a way. So instead of returning to the Physician's chambers, she headed to Edwin's rooms. He was housed in the guest wings of the castle. She assumed that he was with the king who was announcing to Gaius he was being sacked. Someone like him would like to be present for that moment, which left Eowyn enough time to search his room for evidence and clues.

There, she was met with many tools and scientific institutions. In other circumstances, she would have marveled at the very beautiful and elaborate alchemy machine, but now was not the time. Edwin could return any time and she could not be seen being in his room. So at once, she hurried and began looking for anything suspicious or magic-related, carefully not to move things out of their places. For a while, she found nothing but parchments, books, or potion ingredients. But as she was inspecting a table, her eyes laid on a wooden box. On the cover were engraved symbols, the same that were written in the book Gaius had given her. Curious, she took the box and opened it. Countless little beetles were inside. However, before she could wonder what it was, the sound of a door closing resonated in the corridors. Rapidly, Eowyn closed the box and put it back where she found it before rushing to the door. She peeked outside and when the corridor was clear, she left as if she had never been there.

She immediately returned to the Physician's chambers to share what she had found with Gaius but when she got there, all she saw was a sulking Merlin on a chair. Eowyn frowned.

"Where's Gaius?" She asked.

Merlin did not answer immediately and looked at her, saddened.

"Merlin," she pressed. He stood up and sighed.

"Gwen told me he has left," Eowyn remained silent. Clenched jaw, she deeply inhaled, stopping the tears that were threatening to fall. "I left to try convincing Arthur to do something but when I got back... he had already left...,"

Eowyn did not say anything. She took a moment to process the news and then immediately walked to the bookshelves. Crying would not bring back Gaius. What would bring him back is clearing his name and proving that Edwin cannot be trusted. And to do that, she must find out what these strange-looking beetles were.

"Um... er... I have tasks to do so...,"

"Yes, don't worry, I'll tell you if something happens,"

Merlin stared at his sister, worried, for a moment. It was clear that she was very hurt by Gaius's departure, just like him. He truly did not have the heart to tend to his servant duties and would rather stay with his sister. But she assured him that she was fine and that Arthur would get mad at him if he did not do his job. So, giving in, Merlin left.

Eowyn spent the rest of the day browsing into books to discover what the beetles truly were. It was when the night had fallen that Eowyn had found something.

"Elanthia beetles... They can be enchanted to enter the brain, feed on it until they devour the person's very soul...," she read. "That's it! That's what he used to on Morgana!"

At once, Eowyn stood up and left the chambers. Before going to the king, Eowyn had to get a beetle. It would have been best to steal one when she had broken into his room but too pressed by time and fearing being caught red-handed, she had forgotten to do so. Edwin might be in his room at the moment so she had to draw him out. Perhaps she could pretext that a courtier was in need of examination or could use her powers to play a trick on him and force him to leave.

However, the more she was getting closer to her room, the more she felt a cold chill running down her spine. Danger was awaiting her and the heat she felt coming from his room was another proof. Fearing the worst, she burst into the room and was more than shocked when she saw Gaius trapped in a circle of flame, and Edwin, watching him.

"The Apprentice," Edwin mused as he stared at her.

"I was right. You're a sorcerer," Eowyn stated. She glanced at Gaius, or precisely, at the flames. There was no doubt in saying that they must have been conjured by magic and one sudden move could led Edwin to burn Gaius. Eowyn's eyes glowed white just before she faced Edwin again. "What I fail to understand is the motive behind all of this,"

"He was trying to kill the King. I couldn't let him,"

"I see so you're seeking revenge," a ball of swirling wind began to form in Eowyn's hand that she had hidden behind her back. "Who did Uther kill? Your mom? Your dad?"

"Both," Edwin spat with venom. Gaius noticed that the flames began to decrease as if sucked towards Eowyn. His eyes widened a little as he realized what she was doing. "They had committed no crime yet were sentenced to death by fire. Now it's Uther's turn to die,"

"I have to admit, it was a very well-elaborated plan," the flames were flickering down. The fire was fueled by oxygen so, slowly devoiding the area of air would reduce the flames enough for Gaius to walk through. This also meant that the three of them would not be able to breathe, but Gaius trusted his pupil. He knew she had a plan to counter this issue. "Targeting the King's ward to weaken him emotionally, ruining the credibility of the court physician to steal his place; you then have full trust from the King and full way to avenge your parents. Too bad you failed to fool me,"

"True, but if you die, no one would ever know about it,"

The flames had reduced enough for Gaius to jump through. But as he was about to do so, the fire reverted back to its original state. Using magic, Edwin had thrown the axe that was displayed on the wall at Eowyn. Her eyes glowed white as she conjured a wall of wind, stopping the axe right before her face. However, the enchanted axe was still trying to break through the wind wall as she gathered all her concentration to push it back.

"Ah~ I see now," Edwin chuckled. "I thought Merlin was the only one but it appears that I was wrong,"

The axe was slowly breaking through the wind wall and getting closer to her face. But suddenly, she felt he body being tackled out of the way and the axe finished its way in the wall behind her.

"Are you alright?! What on earth is going on here?!" Merlin exclaimed as he and Eowyn stood back up.

"He's the one who brought the illness upon Morgana and now he's after the king,"

"I can rule the kingdom now," Edwin looked at Merlin. "And with you at my side, we can be all-powerful,"

"Release Gaius!"

"It's your loss, Merlin,"

Again, Edwin commanded the remaining axe on the wall with magic and threw it at Merlin. But his eyes glowed gold and he stopped it. Edwin uttered a spell but Merlin overpowered him. He sent the axe back to him. It pierced him and as Edwin died, the flames trapping Gaius vanished.

"Are you alright?" Eowyn immediately turned to Gaius. The old man took a short moment before answering, still processing what had happened.

"Yes. Thank you, Eowyn, Merlin,"

Seemingly remembering something, Merlin rushed to the table and began searching through all the equipment.

"What are you doing?" Gaius asked.

"Uther's ill, the same thing Morgana had," he took the bug box and opened it. "Edwin said he used these to cure Morgana. Maybe we can too,"

"Elanthia beetles," Eowyn informed when she had reached him. "They can be enchanted to enter the brain. They feed on it until they devour the person's soul,"

"We must go to him," Gaius urged.

The three of them rushed to the King's chambers. Fortunately, no one was tending to him which gave them a free way to act.

"How do we get the beetle out before it kills him?"

"It can only be magic," Gaius said.

"We can't use magic on Uther, he'd kill us," Merlin stressed.

"We don't have a choice,"

"And I doubt he'll ever find out anyway," Eowyn added, though Merlin seemed not convinced.

"There are times when it is necessary. It is your right," Gaius added.

"I don't know how...,"

Though Eowyn despised Uther, she also felt like she had the responsibility to save him. As a physician, as someone whose job was to save people. When she decided to follow this path, she had taken an oath. An oath she would never dare to break. An oath stating that she shall refrain from causing harm or hurt; and to live an exemplary as a physician. If she refuses to help a man in need when she can, this would go against this sacred oath.

"Brother," she rested her hand on his shoulder. "You are a talented sorcerer. You will be the greatest warlock the world will ever know and your name will be remembered eons after your death. You can do this, brother,"

Merlin deeply inhaled. He then walked over to bed, sat on it, and placed his head over Uther's ears. Deep in concentration, he incanted the spell and when he removed his hand, the beetle was in his palm. A huge grin appeared on Eowyn's lips. Once again, Merlin has proven how good of a sorcerer he was. He had never performed such a spell before yet on the first try, he successfully did it.

No one had ever found out that Merlin had used magic. When Uther awoke, Gaius had explained the situation to the king. Of course, he purposely omitted the mention of Eowyn and Merlin's powers. When the king had wondered how Gaius saved him, the old man had used so many technical and complex words that Uther did not question it further. As a result, the day after, Gaius had been rehabilitated and made a free man of Camelot. The downside of the story was that Uther's hatred for magic only grew more powerful.

The court was applauding as Uther handed a parchment to Gaius. The courtiers all went to congratulate him and eventually, the crowd scattered.

"Eowyn,"

Eowyn, Gaius, and Merlin were about to leave the castle when she heard her name. Arthur was walking in her direction, seemingly wanting to have a talk with her. Merlin told her they would be in the lower town and he and Gaius left.

"May I ask what you wish to talk about, Sire?" Eowyn asked once Arthur had reached her. He looked awkwardly around for a moment as if looking for the right words to use.

"My father told me what had happened. About who Edwin truly was," he eventually said. "And, er... I should have listened to you when you voiced your concerns about Edwin,"

"Are you trying to apologize?" It did feel quite satisfactory to see the prince of Camelot swallow his pride.

Arthur looked away, embarrassed. "I'm trying to say that you were right,"

"No more than usual, Sire,"

Arthur let out a chuckle as a smile stretched Eowyn's lips.

"I'm sorry for not listening to you,"

"Well, apologies accepted," she playfully bowed. "Now, I must go. I have a lot of things to take care of,"

"Of course, of course," Arthur nodded. Eowyn bowed again and took her leave. Though Arthur's eyes lingered on her as his smile grew wider.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 115K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
1.1M 49.1K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
470K 13.7K 105
"aren't we just terrified?" 9-1-1 and criminal minds crossover 9-1-1 season 2- criminal minds season 4- evan buckley x fem!oc
625K 38.1K 102
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...