Never Yours

Oleh FroggieShroom4

'Why do you hate me so?' He asked, a crestfallen look gracing his icy, unforgiving features. "Simply because... Lebih Banyak

Intro
Playlist
The warm welcome
A showdown with frosty
Lost that loving feeling by any chance?
Lies
Aerobatic displays
No use crying over spilt coffee
Playing with the boys
Charlie's enterprise
Elevator encounters
Family comes first
Practice what you preach
Shower bros
Game night
Rememberance
A court house case
Never yours
Take my breath away
Graduation - two birds & a stone
Forever ours
Afterword & Author's notes
Epilogue

Little more than curiosity

63 3 0
Oleh FroggieShroom4

Charlie's POV:

CHECKING MY watch, a sigh escaped my lips. I still had well over an hour before my shift ended. And even after that, I still had a telephone interview about my supposed 'promotion' for a job in Washington I'd applied for a few weeks back. But I supposed I had to focus on the now and take it one step at a time. Taking a deep breath, I walked over to Lieutenant Mitchell (or Maverick he'd told me that one fateful night in the bar), and began advising him on his aviation skills.

"You know, a rolling reversal would also work real well in that situation. And it's potentially the better option." I informed him, in a professional yet friendly manner. He removed his shades and smirked up at me. Not missing a beat he began an in depth explanation about other alternatives.

"Yeah I spose' so but if I reversed on a hard cross, I could immediately go to guns on him. See here? Just like this." Lieutenant Mitchell argued, displaying elaborate gestures and moves passionately with his arms. I'd half expected him to be a little argumentative (like most of the men here were with a few exceptions) but I hadn't put him down for the type who'd argue back but try to do so in a way that showed his politeness and even a little respect for me and it was not something I was accustomed to, seeing as most would usually just brush over the fact that I was here (and even existed) at all, claiming that 'I was lost' or a pick me type looking for 'a boyfriend to show off to the other girls' (unfortunately, that's a quote on quote from some of the men here).

"Yeah but his speed is too fast." I shook my head, in disagreement. "And it's a little too aggressive don't you think?" I added.

"Too aggressive?" Lieutenant Mitchell looked up at me with a hopeful yet slightly hurt expression which almost made me feel guilty had i not reminded myself that I was here to do a job and do it well. "Huh well I guess when I see something I go right after it." He said, not breaking eye contact; a sad smile graced his tanned face. Feeling like it was a compulsory urge to respond, I pulled the lid of my pen and started furiously scribbling on a piece of paper attached to my clipboard.

"Yes well, not everyone is made for the fast lane of this life." I replied. Not looking up to see how he'd respond emotionally, I continued scribbling as he asked his next set of seemingly 'endless' questions (which I found myself to be somehow enjoying)?

"You didn't tell me who you were the other night. Why was that?" He asked curiously. I shrugged.

"Well you didn't exactly give me a chance, did you?" I said, flatly. "You deserved it and you know it."

"I know. But, you were tempted surely?" He paused for a brief moment before continuing. "To..... ask me out for dinner." I almost outright snorted with laughter. His sentence (disguised as a question) took me by surprise but somehow had also managed to make me laugh. Yet his tone sounded so hopeful and young...

"You're- excuse me." I had to cover my mouth and take deep breathes to bring my laughter to a close. "You are.." I couldn't keep a straight face and I burst into laughter again. Oh for goodness sake! Come on Charlotte you're better than this! Pull yourself together woman! "Sorry about that." I said wiping away the tears of joy from my eyes. "You are joking right?" I finally managed to say, with a wry smile. Lieutenant Mitchell just stared up at me, confusion glistening in his enchanting green eyes.

"What's funny sweetheart? If there's a joke, by all means share it." He grinned cheekily whilst I just stared back at him in disbelief. So his question had been genuinely serious. Which in turn meant, that I had not only made a fool out of myself, but I'd also made Maverick look like an idiot.

"Oh so you were serious the first time?" I asked, feeling like I had to get some kind of confirmation on this even though I already knew the answer. He nodded.

"Perfectly." A singular word told me all I needed to know.

"No; no I was most definitely not." I laughed, trying to make the situation less awkward between us. He frowned.

"No?" He questioned.

"No." I repeated shaking my head, making my blonde curly hair bob at my shoulders. "Do you know the meaning of that word Lieutenant?" I smiled playfully. If he was going to tease me, I could do the exact same to him. Two could play at that game!

"Not really I'm going to be honest. But I bet you could tell me?" He pressed; grin replacing where a frown had once been mere seconds ago. I sighed.

"I don't date students." That was all I was going to say on that matter; or at least all I'd say aloud. Lieutenant Mitchell being the resilient and cunning type he was, beckoned me closer.

"Look, I can see it's dangerous for you and I understand that. But if the government trusts me, then perhaps you could too?" He smiled sweetly, tone full of hope and longing. Giving him a hard stare, I ripped the piece of paper off my clipboard and handed it to him. Most would think it to be a report (and they'd be correct in assuming that) but this time it held a little more.

"It takes a lot more than just fancy flying Lieutenant." I said blandly, ripping my eyes away from his patronising gaze. From the back of the room, Iceman laughed but quickly covered it up with a cough. I spun round and glared at him.

"You can hardly talk Lieutenant Kazansky, you can't keep a girl down let alone have the audacity to advise other people on theirs." I replied cooly, making his face flush red from a mixture of anger and embarrassment, having just been roasted by his instructor. The whole room jeered whilst Goose took the approach of jumping up and yelling at the top of his lungs: "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!" Before approaching me and holding out his hand for a high five. I raise my eyebrows at him in concern. He cleared his throat and apologised, turning and walking back to his designated desk. I just couldn't resist taking it one step further before I left.

"Aww no answer to that, Lt? Exactly what I thought." I smiled sweetly and spun on my heel, headed toward the door. I'd barely set foot out of it before a murmuring of chatter and laughter consumed the room...

Iceman's POV:

CHARLIE MAY of been right in the sense that I couldn't hold down a girl, but who had said I wanted to? In reality though hats off to her, I really can't interest women but that didn't bother me seeing as it wasn't them I was interested in, in the first place; i only made it look like I was because I felt obligated to. Like I had something to hide. To prove rather. Infuriating as it was, a certain dark haired, green eyed cocky pilot was capturing my 'vague interest' as you could put it, more by the day. Of course I hated every minute of it, seeing as he is my rival but I don't think it's anything beyond interest or determination to be better than him. So we don't need to worry just yet, do we?

Upon seeing my discomfort, my RIO Slider immediately stepped in to take the attention off of me, rounding on Maverick's unsuccessful attempt at flirting with our instructor instead. And although I was seated at the very back of the room, I could hear almost every word that was being said.

"Crash & burn huh Mav?" Slider teased. This managed to rile Maverick up to the point where he got out of his chair, collected his textbooks and walked over to Slider's desk. Leaning closer (and making no attempt to mask or quieten his words) he sniffed around before fixing Slider with an impenetrable glare.

"Slider..." he sniffed round again. "You stink." Maverick then leant back, returning to his full height, before straightening his cuffs, smartening up his uniform and heading out of the door, handing in his work as he did so. Slider just shook his head in denial and disbelief. Not to take sides but Maverick kinda did have a valid point for once in his life.

The man was a mystery to me but then again, most things in life are. That's just the way it's supposed to be; made to be...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Word Count: 1558

A/N: How did we find this chapter people? It's here that you get the first glimpse of Iceman possibly admitting something toward Maverick. But the big question is: will Maverick return said emotions? Admittedly I'm not great with slow burn stuff but I think I did pretty well here but be sure to leave your kind words and reviews in the comments and please don't forget to vote it helps me out a lot. Thank you very much!

On with the story! :)

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

94.6K 1.8K 34
Lieutenant (y/n) 'Wolf' Mitchell. That was you. The only child of the legendary Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell and Charlotte 'Charlie' Blackwood. ...
20.8K 376 14
PREVIOUSLY NAMED: FOOLS WHO DANCE I changed it bc that name was ass - started July 2022 ended February 2023 - "Wanna race to the water?" "Like kids?"...
237K 9.2K 35
Book #1 of "The Four" book series spin-off (Read "The Four" book series first!) Warning: Mature (18+) content! "So then f*ck me like you hate me," I...
90.9K 3.2K 38
Book #5 of the "Falling" book series Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #50 in Romance 2024 #69 in Enemies 2024 #83 in Rivals 2023 #17 in Graphic 2023 #1...