The Raven Flame [The Crown Sa...

By ToriRHayes

The Crown Trials have ended, but Willow is not going home to her family. Cornered by the golden king to accep... More

Golden Ties
Envious Love
Dream Walker
Truths of the Past
Arranging Hearts
Troubled Fiancé
Incurable Remorse
Spirits Tell no Tales
Fears in the Dark
A Sea of Stars
Unforgiving Seas
The Traveler's Den
Unbreakable Heart
Masquerade of Deception
A Brother's Quarrel
Ancient Scripture
Trench Maker
People of the Whispering Sand
Estranged Visions
Tearing Faith
Deceiving Realities
Island of Gold
Weeping Sun
Flaming Scales
Pavo's Secret
A Fallen Star
Beating Wings
Golden Warriors
Armored Heart
Ties of Venom
Swaying Contours
Blood and Air
Puppet Master
Addictive Madness
Buried Memories
Dancing Water Spirit
Star Blessed
Challenging the Wind
In the Shadows
Leap of Faith

Crashing Tides

2.1K 90 77
By ToriRHayes

The Grand Elder guided us through the maze of crystal tunnels, past more colors than I'd thought existed.

We passed the lake, the creatures in its serene waters curiously following us from its crystal sores.

Kelda walked beside me, her voice mute, but her face betrayed her desire to hide the sadness tucked behind her long lashes.

"I'll be back, you know," I whispered, lightly nudging her shoulder with mine. "Once we've found the answers we seek."

Kelda turned her saddened face away from me, scratching her naked arm. "That's not it," Kelda muttered, her shifting eyes searching for something I couldn't place.

I arched my brow, confusion scratching my tired mind. "What is it then?" I asked, leaning forward to catch her fleeting eyes.

Kelda peeked at me, pouting her green lips as our gaze locked. "I'm really not supposed to say," she mumbled, biting her lower lip. "But—"

She paused again. I let her consider her words, not wanting to pry the answer from her sealed lips if she truly felt like nothing good would come of spilling her secrets.

"Y-you know how my grandpa told you to watch out for a face among your closest people?"

I nodded hesitantly, watching several shifting emotions flee past her face as if conflicting spirits were tearing her soul in endless directions.

"I didn't like the way he gave you that prediction, so I looked into the past of the people you came with," she finally admitted, tucking her shoulders under her ears as she folded her arms around her body. "I know I'm not supposed to, but something feels off about the entire thing, and I couldn't just let you leave without doing something."

A pit of the purest darkness formed in my stomach, dread twisting my mind as I worried about what kind of answer Kelda had found from searching the past.

"What did you learn?" I reluctantly asked, knowing I would otherwise regret it. If Kelda knew something that could help us complete this mission, I needed to hear it.

Kelda sighed, internal conflict still drawing deep lines on her glistening face. "I don't like the one you call Alia," Kelda said, glancing at Alia's straightened back.

I swallowed a cold breath. "What makes you suspect her?"

Kelda shrugged lightly as if unsure of her accusations. "When I looked back, I felt the hatred clenching her heart like an invisible rope. I could barely stand being there for more than a few minutes."

"When was this?" I asked, realizing what Kelda may have seen—an isolated moment of chaos and misunderstandings.

"I don't know?" Kelda said. "A few months ago, maybe more."

I failed to suppress the smile tugging at the corner of my lip, relief washing over me as enlightenment dawned upon my cold skin.

"What?" Kelda asked impatiently.

"The hatred you felt flowing through Alia's veins was entirely justified." I cleared my throat. "We didn't meet under the best circumstances, and she believed me a terrible person who intended to hurt her very dear friend."

I doubted I could explain the Crown Trials to her without swimming into deep waters where I could barely glimpse the bottom. It would be a long and complicated explanation for someone unfamiliar with the surface.

"Why didn't you just tell her that?" Kelda asked as if the quarrel could've been sorted as easily as that.

I smiled. "Because I thought the same of her, and we both had secrets we were unwilling to share with strangers, leaving us in an endless cycle of misinterpretations and assumptions."

Kelda had told me that the powers of a Seer were unreliable, and this worrisome prediction was perfect proof of that. It was likely that the Elder's prophecies could've been misinterpreted or taken out of context, too.

"So, Alia is not an enemy in disguise?"

I shook my head. "Alia is many things, but she is no traitor. She regards Caiden too highly to betray us like that."

Kelda sighed again. "Then I don't think it's any of these people you have to worry about—at least according to their pasts. However, I still cannot read the future, so only time will tell if any of them come to view you differently. Sorry."

"You tried," I said, lightly nudging her stiffened shoulder. "That's a lot more than I could ask for."

"Really?" she said, a hesitant glint in her eye lingering around the faint crow's feet.

I nodded, and relief seemed to wash over her like a blanket of serene waves.

Then her eye caught something else, and a different smile pulled her lips into an excited expression of anticipation. "We're here," she said, grabbing my hand to pull me around the jagged corner.

Just the sound of water sloshing against a vertical edge made my stomach ache. The Grand Elder had warned us that this would be our destination, but I'd still hoped to see some kind of advanced boat or a submarine that would tame the violent waves. However, the sight that met me was hardly a picture of wonders.

A subterranean harbor, its size barely able to dock the boat swaying on the fluctuating waters, stood before me.

The boat didn't look ramshackle like the last boat Art ruthlessly pulled us onto, but it didn't look sturdy either.

The old wooden structure of the frame didn't seem to have been tended to in years, algae staining the exterior and planks discolored from neglect. However, unlike the other boat, this monstrosity had two tips with some kind of crossbeam to stabilize the seemingly hazardous design.

The deck united the tips, the stained wooden planks creaking as I stepped onboard. The sails were mended with multicolored fabric patches, dirt clinging to the faded fibers. The cabin in the middle appeared newer, like a recent addition to the barren original.

"Are you okay?" Kelda whispered beside me as the Grand Elder brought Art to the cockpit.

I clenched the railing tighter, leaning against it to support my softened knees.

I swallowed tensely. "I, um... I'm not the strongest sea beast," I said, my mind slightly fuzzy at the thought of the sea.

Kelda arched her brow as if she didn't understand. My stomach churned again. "The waves that rock the boat make my head spin and my heart clench," I clarified. "Essentially, I feel sick when crossing the oceans while sailing on the waves."

"Why do it, then?"

Right, Kelda had never experienced the raging seas—only the windy dunes. "Because it's the only option we have," I said, not feeling like explaining the entire concept of shifting waves and salty air. The thought alone made me nauseous.

The king of Heliac was searching for us, utilizing every trick in the book, so commercial travel and larger vehicles were off-limits. We were left with no other choice than these cursed boats.

"Oh," Kelda said, opening her mouth to seemingly ask another question that faded under the Grand Elder's loud call.

"Kelda. Please fetch me the jar we discussed before our guests arrived?"

Kelda nodded and quickly glanced at me with a reassuring smile before jumping off the boat.

I looked behind me, staring into a dark tunnel where the water in this crystal bay disappeared into somber shadows—an entry from the sea. It suddenly made sense why the front of the boat carried a couple of giant torches.

"Thank you, Kelda."

I turned to watch the Grand Elder accept a small glass jar from Kelda's tense hands and turn to Art.

"Take this," the Grand Elder said, handing Art the jar filled with petals colored in the deepest accents of blue and black, tiny white spots sprayed across the silky surfaces. "You will need the petals of a Midnight Tear to make it through the mist. Without it, you'll be susceptible to its luring traps."

I'd heard of these flowers. They bloomed only under the brightest full moon, where the stars could weep over its beauty, leaving their dusted tears to forever stain the petals. They were rare—rarer than the Sun Flower that only bloomed under the scorching sun in this very desert.

"Where did you get these?" Art asked, examining the jar with curious eyes. "I thought they only flourished on the Dragon Islands."

The Grand Elder chuckled. "These caves harbor many secrets—far too many for any mortal to spend their lives uncovering. Maybe one day, when peace again sweeps through the lands, I will reveal a few to you."

The Grand Elder paused, examining Art's shifting expressions. "However," he added, folding his wrinkled hands, "I believe this is one secret that you may already have uncovered without my guidance."

I shot Art an inquisitive look. He had a satisfied grin plastered on his self-assured face. He kind of looked like Tarkan that way.

"Perhaps that is so, Grand Elder," Art said, stroking his unkempt beard. "If we had time to discuss such a matter, I would like for nothing more than to unravel this brilliant mystery to these young people, but time is short. We thank you for your hospitality and your guidance. We hope to repay your kindness someday when this chaos is resolved."

"Anything for one of my prophesized children," the Grand Elder said, reaching out to squeeze my shoulder.

My cheeks heated, the color staining my cheeks still strange to witness in my reflection.

"Don't forget my grandpa's warning," Kelda said as she threw her arms around me. "His prophecies may be hazy, but they do carry some version of the truth."

I nodded. "Thank you, Kelda. For everything," I said, squeezing her dainty body against mine.

She let go with a wary smile and followed the Grand Elder off the boat.

"Are you okay?"

Caiden's hand felt warm against my shoulder, his heat cloaking me from behind like a comforting blanket.

I sighed a loosening breath, the tensity gnawing into my muscles slightly alleviated with his breath against my skin. "We're sailing again," I whispered, leaning the back of my head against his shoulder as he lightly brushed his lips against my temple.

His low chuckle made my bones tremble. "It seems so."

My heart tumbled to my throat when the boat suddenly jerked. "Sorry!" Art shouted from the cabin. "Crystal magic is not as easy as it seems!"

"Safe travels," the elderly seer shouted, gently waving his hand as Art figured out how to steer the monstrosity. "Remember to be wary of the monsters once you reach the Lake of Talons."

The what?

***

I lay with my back against the creaking boards, watching the clouds drift across the darkening sky. The boat swayed quietly in the calm waters—side to side, sometimes front and back when a larger wave hit the bow.

My stomach twisted again, the rumble of hunger only making my nausea worse.

We'd been sailing for most of the day, and the night slowly approached. I had no idea how far into the vast wilderness we'd gone or how close we were to crossing the borders of the lake the Grand Elder had spoken of.

I shivered at the thought of monsters in the depths of these waters.

"Still trying to calm your upset stomach?" Piper leaned over me, blocking my view of the sky.

I sighed and sat up. The nausea worsened for a split second before it subsided to a bearable annoyance.

"I'm not made to tame the seas, Piper," I groaned, rubbing my fingers against my pounding temples.

Piper chuckled and squatted before me. "Air Iridis are more adept at surfing the air than the shifting wave," she said, poking my brow. "Most can't stand the sea, so you may not be as special as your blood makes you out to be."

I snorted and pushed her aside. "I'll be sure to remember that when the winds invite you to race," I said as she complained about her sore rear.

Suddenly, a strong wind took hold of the boat, pushing it sideways and almost causing Piper and me to tumble over the railing.

"What, in the five realms—"

Piper's question was cut short when the sound of powerful thunder rumbled before our ears. I looked up, my throat constricting as ominous clouds rolled over the darkening sky, swallowing the early stars like a hungry monster of the heavens.

By the damned souls. The sky had been clear only moments ago, leaving no room for a storm to approach as rapidly as this. However, the lightning tearing through the sky begged to differ.

"Get up, Will!" Piper shouted, violently pulling my collar to help me up. "We must've crossed the borders into the Lake of Talons."

Color drained from my face, leaving me as cold as a corpse.

The Lake of Talons—where monsters lurked just beneath the surface, waiting for prey to swim right into their gaping mouths.

"Willow!"

I twisted my head toward the one shouting my name, my chest tightening when I saw the desperation carved into each crease on Caiden's face—an expression warning of danger.

Rain suddenly fell from the raging sky as if even the heavens wept from the sacred tales of the swallowed stars. The winds became stronger, the waves taller, and the air colder. It all happened so fast that I could barely keep up.

"Get down!"

Drenched arms wrapped around me, pushing me down to lay against the wooden floor. A wave of icy water flooded us, my spine aching when the wind swept over our drenched skin.

"Get inside, Will!" Caiden shouted, helping me to my feet. "It's not safe out here."

I was about to agree when I saw something wrapped around Caiden's waist, cutting through to the air to knot around the railing up front. "W-what about you?" I asked when I realized he planned to stay out here. "I'm not letting you risk yourself again, Caiden."

"I need to stay out here and protect the boat from the worst of the storm," Caiden explained, tugging the rope tied around his drenched waist as if to reassure me of its durability. "I'll be fine. Get inside and tie yourself down with the others."

"But—"

"Sorry, Nephew," Art suddenly shouted past the wind, tossing me another rope. "I need her out here to help me tame the hurricane drifting this way. Tie the rope around your waist, Will, and then to the railing."

"Uncle!" Art said, hurrying after him, but I knew better than to argue with the old donkey.

Defying the swaying ground and pushing past the sloshing waves of water, I reached the railing. My breath was shallow, stolen by the frigid air as I forced my frozen fingers to tie a proper knot. I wrapped the other end of the rope four times around my torso before tying another knot.

I could still drown if I fell overboard. The rope only acted as a guideline to find my way back to the boat since I needed enough length to move freely around the deck, helping wherever needed.

Biting my numbed lip, I shook off the thought of death, tugging the rope hard to test the knots I'd made against my strength.

Thunder clapped against the swirling clouds, lightning striking the raging waves. The flashes made my stomach ache, each new light making me fear the next would strike us. But what came for us was worse than any damage lightning could do.

Another flash of lightning lit up the sky, but the light didn't fall on my skin. Instead, a shadow rose from the depths, towering over our boat.

Fear gripped my aching spine, talons scraping each vertebra.

I slowly raised my gaze from the railing, looking up to stare into the monster's bright yellow eyes. I didn't move, barely blinking as the rain hit my face.

I'd feared the Grand Elder's warning about the monsters of this place, spending the horrid day contemplating how we'd deal with the creatures who thrived in these dangerous waters. I had not imagined encountering a beast spun from the legends of drunken sailors.

Shifting black, blue, and purple scales wrapped the giant serpent-looking creature like an impenetrable armor.

A row of giant dorsal fins extended down its spine, four antler-like horns protruding on each side of its enormous head. My heart may have stopped for a second when it barred its fang-filled mouth at me.

The legend Lagyssal.

I'd seen illustrations of this creature many times before, woven into carpets and etched into stone, painted like strokes on life-like canvases.

This creature was worshiped by many in the Ocean Realm, and many ancient songs were dedicated to its legendary history as a restless spirit once soaring through the endless sky.

However, when the spirit came across the glorious moon, it fell in love with her light and wanted it for itself. Greedy and hungry, it swallowed the moon, the celestial granting the spirit a physical body and the power to push and pull the vast seas.

The other spirits became jealous of its powers and banished the Lagyssal to wander the seas, forever able to witness the sky it once called home but never reach it. In its sorrow, the Lagyssal called upon storms to obscure the sky and the clouds to shed endless tears.

Some legends even refer to the Lagyssal as the first water wielder—the creature who taught Jonathan Pavo to master its element.

However, as I stood before it, rigid and barely unable to breathe, I didn't think of it as an ancient spirit. I only saw a monster able to swallow me without chewing.

I was such easy prey—glued to the floorboards and paralyzed from my neck down. I didn't understand why the creature hadn't attacked. It just stared at me with those darkened slits as if assessing me.

"Willow!"

Caiden's voice tore through the rain, jolting my limbs alive again.

The Lagyssal's screams as I turned my head to view Caiden stumbling toward me made my ears burn. I was no longer sure if it was the rain running down my cheeks or blood from my ears.

A gasp caught in my throat when the Lagyssal raised a thorned arm, web stretching between its blackened claws. I didn't doubt our boat would break in half if the creature struck us. We'd all be dead within the hour in these freezing waters.

However, instead of dealing the final blow, the Lagyssal bent over, diving into the water and leaving us to cling with desperate strength to the railing as the waves threatened to throw us overboard. The storm kept raging, but the Lagyssal didn't surface again.

A surge of dread shot through my horror-stricken body when a hand grabbed me from behind, pulling me into a soaked embrace.

"Were you hurt?" Caiden shouted for me to hear past the howling winds and the crashing waves.

"No," I shouted back. I wasn't hurt physically, but I was terrified, my lungs barely able to catch a proper breath before salty water drowned my coughs.

"Thank the spirits," Caiden said, pressing his chilled lips against my brow. "Take this."

Caiden unfolded the fingers of my clenched fist to place the petal of a flower in my palm.

"The Midnight Tear?" I asked, looking at Caiden's twisted face for answers. "But I thought we were saving these for the mist."

Another violent wave crashed into the boat, jerking me forward. Caiden caught me, keeping his arms tightly wrapped around my trembling body and pressing me into his drenched clothes.

"Uncle Art's orders," Caiden said, not letting me go until he was sure I had a good grip on the railing.

"Eat it, Will," Caiden commanded, pleading with me to ignore the voice in my head questioning Art's sanity.

I nodded, knowing that Art had yet to deceive us, and brought the petal to my lips. However, before I could clasp my teeth around the soft flower, the Lagyssal resurfaced.

The boat swayed as the beast circled us, making me lose my footing and forcing me to step forward so I wouldn't lose my balance. "I'm okay," I said when Caiden rushed to my side. However, when I looked at my hand again to swallow the petal as fast as I could, I didn't see it.

"Cursed blood," I muttered, searching my surroundings for the darkened petal. "I think I lost it, Caiden!"

"What?" Caiden shouted.

I opened my mouth to shout when the Lagyssal's claw finally struck.

It didn't tear the boat in half, but the blow destroyed the railing my rope was attached to, flinging me backward.

Fear made my eyes wide as I slipped out of Caiden's grip, my waist screaming in pain as the rope tightened.

"Willow!" Caiden roared, reaching out for me, but he couldn't reach me.

The ruthless surface took my breath before the waves swallowed me. The frigid chill of the ocean pressed around me numbed my limbs, shock briefly paralyzing my mind.

It was cold—so, so cold. I couldn't think. I couldn't move. I could barely hear the waves crashing above me.

I almost choked when the burn in my lungs startled me awake. Up. I had to get up. Swim, damn it!

Panic sparking life into my limbs. I flailed my numbed arm, desperate to reach for the raving storm and for the salty air to fill my lungs.

Finally, I breached the surface, spitting and coughing to catch my breath between drowned shouts. However, once I opened my eyes to look for the boat, I saw no crashing waves, no storm, and no ship.

Only white, impenetrable mist.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 7.3K 43
The pursuit for the Golden Crown continues but being the strongest academy representative is no longer enough. The victorious suitor must also convin...
5.4K 86 27
BODYGUARD ROMANCE SMUT 20- year old Medina Westerfield has spent her whole life in the royal spotlight, and when it's finally her turn to take the...
13.6K 1.7K 79
Anastasia's visit to her grandmother's house takes an unexpected turn when her curiosity leads her to the long-forgotten forest nearby. Intrigued by...
7K 967 52
(13x Featured, Award Winner) She is ruthless. She is scorned. And her blood? The darkest shade of blue. *** When Queen Aravena basically life-threate...