The Unhappy Heart (Book 1 of...

By WhimsiquillWriter

When Andrea King wished she could disappear from the face of the earth, she hadn't meant it literally. But no... More

Andrea King
1. The Luring of the Woods
2. The Phone Call
3. Anruen
4. The Healer's Home
5. The Wolf
6. The Carpenter
7. The King's Dream
8. The King's Soldiers
9. The Young Soldier
11. The Hunter
12. The Twins
13. Riddle of the Heart
14. The Imperial Library
15. The Scribe
16. Dagen's Story
17. A Discovery
18. A Confession and a Solution
19. Priscilla, the Retired Healer
20. A Temporary Cure
21. Alpha of the Mountain Wolves
22. A Reunion of Three
23. Truth and Lies
24. The Broken Bargain
25. The Riddle's Answer
26. A Conscience Awakens
27. Two Old Friends Unite
28. Ghosts of the Past
29. No Greater Love
30. The Hunter
31. The Third Alpha
32. Monsters
33. Home is where the Heart is
34. A New Beginning

10. Fool's Pass

21 5 8
By WhimsiquillWriter

A soldier was standing by the peaked rock, keeping watch. When he saw Andrea heading towards them, he turned and yelled something back over his shoulder. Immediately the scar-faced man appeared. He didn't make any move to meet Andrea but waited as she came up the hill to him. Andrea stopped before him and bowed her head, wiping away her tears that still fell.

"I'm sorry," she finally murmured. "I'm sorry I didn't listen. Sorry for what happened."

The scar-faced man nodded grimly. "What's done is done. There is no use dwelling on it. Perhaps I am the one to blame for not persuading you enough. Perhaps his captain was to blame for sending him into that forest alone. Who's to say? It's best to lay it behind us and move on."

Andrea shook her head. Her mind was still hauntedby the memories. Whenever she closed her eyes, all she could see was those eyesstaring hopelessly back at her. "I can't." She whispered. "I can't forget. I want to help you capture the wolf before it happens again. I'll do anything to help."

The man eyed her curiously, then nodded. "We will appreciate it very much. Since we are going to work with each other, I suppose I should introduce myself. I am Blade. But please, come and sit down. We have much to discuss." 

Andrea followed him over to a large log that lay near a small fire and they both sat down. 

"So, you are absolutely sure about this?" Blade asked, his eyes studying her closely. "It could be dangerous."

Andrea nodded. "Yes, I'm sure."

"Well, here's the plan." He reached down and picked up a stick and began drawing a rough map of the forest.

Andrea tried to pay attention, but her mind began wandering. She turned to gaze down at the forest. Why was she having second thoughts now that she had come? She had been so decided a moment ago. In her mind's eye, she could see it. A white wolf with large brown eyes. Soft eyes of a gentle creature, not of a killer. Andrea had once heard it said that eyes could never lie. It had been Francis who had said it. She remembered it quite clearly now.

"You okay?" asked Francis, sliding into the seat beside her.

Andrea forced a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Francis studied her closely. "You know, Andrea, a mouth can make a smile and lips can form a lie. But the eyes? Well, eyes always speak the truth. And looking into yours, they tell me you are hurting inside. I'm your friend, Andrea. You don't need to say you're fine, when you are not. You know I'll always be here for you."

Andrea smiled softly as the memory played through her head. She remembered she had broken down at his words and had let the tears fall. And how Francis had taken her hand and held it tightly as she cried her pain away. The thought of her friend caused a sharp pang to pierce her heart. Francis had always been there when she neededsomeone.

She raised her hand to wipe her tears, but started back as she saw Blade staring at her intently.
As their eyes locked, Andrea noticed his eyes' colour for the first time. They were hazel, she realised. She didn't know why it came as a shock, maybe it was because they reminded her uncannily of Francis or because everyone else she had seen so far had had steel-grey eyes. All except Hugo and... She looked away, able to look into Blade's penetrating gaze any longer. A hard lump rose in her throat. And the young soldier. She could still see his frightened brown eyes, trying to be brave.

"You didn't hear one word I said, did you?" Blade's voice was more curious than accusing.

Andrea raised her head and her dazed eyes met his once more. When she shook her head guiltily, he sighed wearily.

"Look, I understand this must be hard for you. But think of the lives you could save. You have no idea of the number of youngsters he has lured into dark caves and killed. Think of them." He paused then added in a low voice. "Think of their mothers."

His words hit Andrea hard. Although she had not grown up with a loving mother, she knew well of the love that normally bonded a mother and their child. And as she thought of it, she also thought of that young soldier. Where was his mother now? Had he been her only child? Was she a widow? How would she bear his death? Was she at this moment, grieving for her loss? She looked abruptly away, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

"I'll do it. Just tell me what I need to do."

___________________

Andrea walked swiftly through the forest, head high and jaw set determinedly. From her outwards appearance, she looked calm and confident. But within, her heart thudded rapidly, and it took all her willpower not to glance over her shoulder. Her mind kept racing back to the day the carpenter had come and the words that had been said. 

These are a strange and deadly breed come down from the mountain.

The thought filled her with fear. This time, she allowed herself to glance around. If she didn't know any better, she would have thought she was alone. Sighing, she continued her way through the forest, startling herself every time a stick cracked beneath her foot. All too soon, she was there.

It was a beautiful place really. A thin stream trickled over the smooth pebbles and the rocks were covered with green moss. The cave didn't seem to look too damp from where she stood, but the deeper it was, the darker it got. Who knew what lay in the cover of those seemingly harmless shadows? 

Andrea swallowed nervously, wishing she could stop the gruesome thoughts that rose to her mind. She knew well she was only scaring herself, but she couldn't help it.

She stepped back in fright as something moved in the darkness of the cave and let out a sigh of relief as the white wolf emerged. But the relief only lasted a minute before the cold hand of fear latched around her heart. Her determination however was stronger. She forced a smile and took a step forward.

"Hello, Felan," she greeted, hoping he did not notice how her voice trembled. "I've been looking everywhere for you. Do you wanna join me on a walk?" 

Felan stared at her, his head cocked to one side and eyes wide with curiosity. 

Andrea swallowed hard, before trying again. "Come on, boy. It will be fun."

As if coming to a decision, Felan came forward. But instead of going to her side, he took her hand gently between fanged jaws and tugged her forward, in the direction of the cave. Andrea froze as the words Blade had spoken to her on their first meeting, came back to her.

It is no normal creature but rather a sly intelligent beast that preys on innocent children like yourself. It befriends them, before luring them into some dark lair to feast upon them.

Felan tugged on her hand again, but with more urgency than before. Andrea pulled her hand abruptly back to her side. Felan looked at her, with startled and questioning eyes. Andrea shook her head, unable to speak. It was true then. Everything they had said was true. All doubt that had previously bothered her was gone. Felan really wasn't what he seemed to be. He really was the killer. 

Seeing her hesitation, Felan whined deep in his throat. Andrea realised then that he could sense her fear. She had to reassure him. She couldn't let him know that she knew.

"I'm scared of the dark" she muttered, giving an embarrassed laugh. "But never mind. Let's go, shall we?"

She spun around and began walking back through the forest, arms swinging by her side in a care-free way. After a moment, Felan trotted after her. Andrea glanced down at him as he slowed so that their paces matched. Their eyes met as he raised his head to look at her. Immediately they both looked away again. An awkward silence fell.

Andrea was too aware of how unnatural she was acting, but she no longer cared. She just wanted it all to be over and done with. Without realising it, her pace quickened. It wasn't until something trickled into her eye, causing her to lift her hand to wipe it away, that she realised she was drenched with perspiration. And only then, did she feel how hard her heart pounded within her chest. She wasn't afraid anymore. She was terrified.

Felan whined again, louder this time.

 Andrea had been standing rock still, staring at her sweat covered hand for several minutes. Andrea glanced at him then looked up. Before her was an overgrown road, with steep rock walls on either side.

Fool's Pass, thought Andrea, staring at it in wonder. It really was the perfect place. She stepped forward. In only a few minutes, it would all be over and done with. And she could go back to Harriet and explain everything. It would be easier telling her, if she had made up for it. Not that it would bring the young soldier to life, but at least he would be avenged and no one else would come to harm.

Setting her jaw determinedly, Andrea marched forward. Felan followed warily, his body pressing up against her. For a moment Andrea's resolution quavered. He was afraid. He knew something was off and yet he continued. 

Shrugging the thought away, Andrea fixed her eyes on a jumble of rocks that lay to one side of the pass. Mountain bandits had pushed them down onto an unsuspecting patrol long ago, Blade had told her. It was to these that she headed.
But as they got closer to the prearranged spot, Felan hesitated once more. Raising his head, he sniffed at the air cautiously. To Andrea's horror, she realized the wind had changed course. 

Felan froze and shied back. 

Acting fast, Andrea held out her hand. "It's okay, Felan. Come on, boy. Just trust me."

To her great relief, his foot moved forward as he slowly inched towards her. She bit down on her lip, as he hesitated again. He glanced around fearfully, then slowly looked back to her. His large brown eyes fixed onto her blue ones. 

The relief faded as Andrea found herself lost in his gaze. It was so trusting. And in that moment, the words she had once spoken to him, drifted back to her mind. I'll be your pack, if you will be mine.

"No!" Andrea sprang forward, her arm outstretched to shove him back.

But it was too late. The weighted net had already been dropped, pinning Felan beneath it. His petrified whimpers tore at Andrea's heart, causing her to turn away as the soldiers raced out from behind the rocks.

Blade strode forward, grinning with triumph. "Bind him well. And don't let him get away."

There was a sudden heart-rending wail and Andrea swung around. The men were beating the wolf to subdue him. The wolf struggled beneath the blows, eyes wide with pain and terror.

"No, don't hurt him. Please don't hurt him," begged Andrea, rushing forward. She was pulled back when someone grabbed her hand and drew her back. It was Blade.

"You did your job well, little one," he complimented with a smile. "Thanks to you, all the little village children can now play in peace."

A loud gasp sounded from behind them, causing them both to turn. The soldiers were drawing back in shock. Andrea's hand went to her mouth. Beneath the net in place of Felan, lay a bruised and battered boy, no older than herself. 

Raising her head, Andrea saw a large full moon shining through the branches of the trees above them. It was so big and bright, that Andrea had not even noticed that night had already fallen.

Blade's grinned widened. "Well, I never. Who would have thought the old man was right? Men, bind him fast and take him back to camp. I can assure you there will be gold and beer for all on our return."

The men cheered heartily and binding the boy's wrists behind his back, they began dragging him away. Just before they disappeared between the trees, the boy looked back over his shoulder. As Andrea's eyes met his, she knew the hurt and betrayed looked would haunt her for many nights to come. The men holding the boy captive, jerked him forward and out of sight. Blade turned to follow.

"No, wait!" screamed Andrea, grabbing Blade by the arm. "This wasn't meant to happen. You lied to me."

Blade shook her off him and shot her a taunting grin. "You're the one who believed it. That's your mistake, not mine. But don't worry, darling, no one needs to know."

He turned and followed his men. 

Left alone, Andrea dropped to her knees, staring down at the ground in a daze.

"I'm sorry, Felan," she whispered out loud. "I didn't know."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

896 153 53
When you're reading, you could imagine it as anime. Well most likely an anime dream. 😆 Be intrigued in the world of demons and love (bad combination...
15.6K 912 20
A military expedition to a dying world at the ends of Space and Time, a world that was once the hub of a mighty space-faring empire where advanced sc...
844K 29.2K 104
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...
4.3K 144 10
My'ke had lived his entire life in the Metkayina clan, where he had learned to hunt, fish and speak the language of the Na'vi. He was content with hi...