The Unhappy Heart (Book 1 of...

WhimsiquillWriter által

When Andrea King wished she could disappear from the face of the earth, she hadn't meant it literally. But no... Több

Andrea King
1. The Luring of the Woods
2. The Phone Call
3. Anruen
4. The Healer's Home
5. The Wolf
6. The Carpenter
7. The King's Dream
9. The Young Soldier
10. Fool's Pass
11. The Hunter
12. The Twins
13. Riddle of the Heart
14. The Imperial Library
15. The Scribe
16. Dagen's Story
17. A Discovery
18. A Confession and a Solution
19. Priscilla, the Retired Healer
20. A Temporary Cure
21. Alpha of the Mountain Wolves
22. A Reunion of Three
23. Truth and Lies
24. The Broken Bargain
25. The Riddle's Answer
26. A Conscience Awakens
27. Two Old Friends Unite
28. Ghosts of the Past
29. No Greater Love
30. The Hunter
31. The Third Alpha
32. Monsters
33. Home is where the Heart is
34. A New Beginning

8. The King's Soldiers

16 6 3
WhimsiquillWriter által

Andrea was up in the hills watching the sun come up over the horizon. Except for a couple of the cows and Ruffian, she was alone. She had stolen away before the others had awoken and had trudged up the hill in the dark to clear her thoughts.
Sitting back on her heels on the dew-covered grass, with one arm around Ruffian and the other around Clover, she thought over what had been said yesterday. The more she thought about it, the more convinced she became that Felan was not a threat. How could a creature with such large soft eyes like his, be evil? It just didn't fit together.

Beside her, Ruffian stirred restlessly. Rising to his feet, he sniffed cautiously at the air before giving a deep rumbling growl. At the same Heather called to her calf. Clover immediately slipped away from Andrea and trotted to her mother. The cows huddled nervously together but looked ready to dash at a moment's notice. The hair on Ruffian's neck prickled up and he growled louder. Rising to her feet, Andrea saw the reason for the beasts' actions.

Three tall bearded men were heading up the hill towards them. To Andrea's dismay, they were between her and the house. Without being conscious of it, her hand crept to Ruffian's collar and she gripped it tightly with trembling fingers. As the men came closer, Andrea noted the large pikes they carried and realised they were soldiers like the ones from the other day.

"Morning, miss," called the one at the head of the three. He was bigger than the other two and had a large scar that covered one side of his face. This only caused Andrea to become more nervous.

"Good morning," she forced herself to call back.

"We would like to talk to you for a moment, if it's no trouble."

They were closer now and Ruffian was beginning to tremble with suppressed rage. It was clear to Andrea, that he hated these men as much as his master did, if not more.

"Alright, but stay where you are," Andrea warned them. "I don't think it would be a good idea to come any closer unless you want to get mauled."

The front soldier laughed, but to Andrea, it did not seem as if it reached his eyes. "Well, you see, miss, we came here the other day inquiring about a wolf. We were told there were none around by the old healer woman, but we have reason to believe she may have been mistaken."

A cold hand clutched at Andrea's heart, but her face remained expressionless. 

"Go on," she commanded.

"Someone saw you with the wolf," said the soldier, looking at her closely as he spoke. Andrea knew he was searching her face for a visible sign that would prove him right. "Apparently, it seemed as if you were on good terms with it. I fear that you do not know the truth."

"What do you mean?" Ruffian must have sensed her anxiety, for he began pulling at his collar, his teeth bared as he snarled aggressively.

"I mean, you do not know the truth about this wolf. It is no normal creature but rather a sly intelligent beast that preys on youth like yourself. It befriends them, before luring them into some dark lair to feast upon them. We've been trying to hunt it down for years, but it has always alluded us. We've come to ask that you help us set a trap for it."

Andrea shook her head, almost laughing with scorn. "I don't believe you."

The soldier scowled in exasperation. "Miss, this is a matter of life and death. We have to catch it before it does away its next victim."

Again Andrea shook her head. "No, I won't do it. Now go before I release the dog."

The soldier glanced nervously at Ruffian, who was straining against his collar and backed away.

 "Alright then, miss. But remember what I said. Should you change your mind, our camp is over yonder, by that hill with the peaked rock."

Andrea nodded, but said nothing. As if finally deciding she wasn't willing to cooperate, the three soldiers turned and strode away. Andrea watched them go with a frown. Did they really expect her to believe that ridiculous story? But then again, why were they so insistent on capturing the wolf? What was really going on?

* * * * *

As Andrea trudged back to the house, her mind was all in a turmoil. She didn't trust the man one bit, but what if he was right? What if someone did get hurt? She would be to blame then if they did. She let out a deep sigh. Why did everything have to happen, one thing after another? Could she not have a moments peace?

Coming to the front of the yard, she paused. Harriet would know, surely. But Andrea was not sure if she felt like confiding in her just yet. She knew the old healer would be understanding and kind, but still, she barely knew her. And besides, she would probably start fussing about Andrea's early morning walks and put a stop to them. It had been so long since she had felt this sense of freedom, that she did not relish giving it up for a moment. She sighed for a second time and continued down the path to the house. Stopping on the doorstep, she wiped her shoes on the mat, before slipping inside. Hugo was nowhere to be seen, but Harriet was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"And how's Diana, Hugo?" she called, not looking up from where she was busily hacking into a loaf of bread. When she didn't receive an answer, she turned around and saw Andrea. "Oh, it's you, dear. Did you go for a walk?"

Andrea hesitated. Glancing down at her feet, she saw how her boots were still covered in dew and loose grass. She knew it would be foolish to deny it. "Yes, I went up to the hills." Seeing Harriet's anxious look, she hastily reassured her, "But Ruffian came with me."

Harriet smiled. "Well, that's alright then, I suppose. He's a good dog." As if on cue, the door swung open and Ruffian came bounding in, leaving a trail of dirty paw prints behind him. Harriet grimaced as she added, "Or he would be if a certain person didn't spoil him so much."

The certain person's head popped around the door and grinned at them. "There's a little surprise in the barn if you want to come and see it."

Andrea and Harriet both stared at him with blank expressions. Then Harriet clapped her hands together and laughed. "Oh Hugo," she exclaimed. "Didn't I tell you? Quick, Andrea. Go to the barn and see it."

Giddy with excitement, Andrea ran after Hugo towards the barn. As she entered, the sweet scent of fresh hay filled her nostrils. Glancing around, she saw it. The surprise. In a large stall to one corner, stood Diana. Her large brown eyes with filled with a mother's gaze of love and pride as her large tongue gently cleansed the tiny creature that knelt before her.

"It's beautiful," whispered Andrea, leaning forward and gazing at the small black and white calf. It had a white crescent moon upon its brow just like its mother.

"She's beautiful," corrected Hugo with a smile.

"So, you'll keep her?" asked Andrea in delight.

"No," replied Hugo, shaking his head. Then seeing Andrea's disappointed face, he let out a laugh. "You'll keep her."

Andrea's eyes widened. "Me?"

"Consider it as a welcome gift," he said softly.

Andrea understood what he meant. She had been accepted as part of the family. And in her heart, Andrea for the first time, felt content. Whether this new life was real or just a dream, Andrea felt happy and at ease with where she was. She closed the memories of her old life behind a locked door, no longer feeling the doubt and uncertainty of before. Looking down at the small calf, Andrea smiled.

* * * * *

Lord Rane looked up at the sound of his door opening. His guard had reappeared, bowing low.

"Is everything set, Blade?"

The guard nodded. "Yes, my lord. But I feel the task will not be as simple as you thought."

Lord Rane leaned back into his chair and studied the guard thoughtfully. He shook his head. "You don't understand the lonely and doubtful as I do. We only need to feed that doubt. Do you know how we feed it, Blade?"

"With fear, my lord."

A small smile crossed the royal advisor's lips. "I raised you well. Fear is indeed the answer. Fear, mistrust and pain. They are all vital ingredients. But I will leave that all to you. I am sure you know what must be done for the next step. The bait is locked up in the eastern tower. It has served its purpose long enough. Let us be merciful and give it a noble death."

Blade nodded. "Yes, my lord." He turned to go, but stopped and turned back. "Lord? When all this is over..." His voice faded and he looked away.

Lord Rane smiled softly. "You will stay by me, Blade, just as you always have. You know that."

The guard nodded and bowed. The with a light and joyful heart, he went to commit the atrocious deed.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

15.6K 912 20
A military expedition to a dying world at the ends of Space and Time, a world that was once the hub of a mighty space-faring empire where advanced sc...
845K 29.2K 104
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...
37.1K 607 19
She's insecure. She's bullied. She tried to put on make up for the first time. She failed and got made fun of. She has a crush on this guy . When he...
90.9K 807 12
အသက်ရွယ်ကန့်သက်ချက်တွေ လွန်လွန်ကြူးကြူးပါဝင်လို့ ကိုယ့်ဟာကိုယ် ဆင်ခြင်ဖတ်ပါ။