The Unhappy Heart (Book 1 of...

By WhimsiquillWriter

When Andrea King wished she could disappear from the face of the earth, she hadn't meant it literally. But no... More

Andrea King
1. The Luring of the Woods
2. The Phone Call
3. Anruen
4. The Healer's Home
6. The Carpenter
7. The King's Dream
8. The King's Soldiers
9. The Young Soldier
10. Fool's Pass
11. The Hunter
12. The Twins
13. Riddle of the Heart
14. The Imperial Library
15. The Scribe
16. Dagen's Story
17. A Discovery
18. A Confession and a Solution
19. Priscilla, the Retired Healer
20. A Temporary Cure
21. Alpha of the Mountain Wolves
22. A Reunion of Three
23. Truth and Lies
24. The Broken Bargain
25. The Riddle's Answer
26. A Conscience Awakens
27. Two Old Friends Unite
28. Ghosts of the Past
29. No Greater Love
30. The Hunter
31. The Third Alpha
32. Monsters
33. Home is where the Heart is
34. A New Beginning

5. The Wolf

24 8 3
By WhimsiquillWriter

When Hugo and Andrea reached the house, the soldiers had already left, and Harriet was standing on the steps waiting for them. A small frown creased her brow and her eyes were thoughtful.

"Well?" inquired Hugo, placing his hands on his hips. "What did they want?"

Harriet's frown deepened. "They asked a peculiar question. They wanted to know if we had had trouble with wolves. 'Wolves!' said I. 'I have never even so much as seen one while I lived here'. I then remembered the wolf you saw yesterday, but I didn't mention it otherwise they might have questioned further. I didn't want to have to tell them about Andrea being here. Some people don't take well to Earthians."

"Why would they be asking about wolves for?" asked Hugo.

"I don't know. I'm just as curious as you are about the matter." She looked around and sighed. "Something is happening. I sense it in the air. Something is stirring...awaking." 

Andrea glanced at Hugo, but he only shrugged. Clearly, he was used to the elderly woman's strange talk. 

Harriet sighed again. "I'm going to start cooking the noon meal. Hugo, I want you to go to town and tell the dress maker about Andrea. She's a sensible girl and knows how to hold her tongue. Tell her I want her to make Andrea a couple of sets of clothing. I'll get her measurements and give you a note to take. Alright?"

Hugo nodded and went off to saddle Fergus. 

Andrea followed Harriet inside. Leaning back against the wall and crossing her arms, she watched as the older woman took a basket off the shelf and began searching through it. The questions were still hammering her mind and finally she could stand it no longer.

"Harriet, what is it you are not telling me?"

Harriet looked up sharply. "What do you mean?"

Andrea shrugged. "There's something you are not telling me, and I know it. What are you hiding from me?"

Harriet sunk slowly down into her chair and studied Andrea thoughtfully. "Come here, child" she said after a moment, beckoning to her.

 Andrea went to her and Harriet took her hand in her own. 

"As you will remember, I told you Anruens and Earthians often pass through the Doorways of the Worlds. What I didn't tell you was that they rarely find their way back. No one knows what opens the Door and so only those who go by chance can do so. It is extremely rare for the door to reopen for them. Your stay here may be permanent, Andrea. The Door may not open for you again."

Andrea stared at her, her mind numb. She found herself slowly pulling away and felt something wet trickle down her cheek. Permanent? It seemed so harsh and unreal. And somehow her belief of it all being a dream had lost its reality. She was stuck here. It was real after all. But then another thought struck her, hitting her harder than Harriet's words. She mumbled something unintelligible and Harriet glanced up, questioningly.

"I said it doesn't matter," snapped Andrea. "They won't care. They won't miss me. But it doesn't matter because I shan't miss them either."

She swung around and fled the house. Behind her, she heard Harriet's distressed call, but she didn't stop. Perhaps fate called her. Or perhaps it was simply her following the footsteps of the past. Whichever it was, Andrea found herself within the forest, lost and alone.
Filled with anguish and a deep bitterness, she screamed until her voice was hoarse and her throat was raw. Sinking to the ground, she hugged herself tightly and rocked back and forth.

"It's okay, Andrea," she whispered softly. "It's okay. Come on, pull yourself together, girl. You'll be okay. It will be fine. You'll be okay."

A twig cracked behind her and she swung around. A wolf, stood less than ten metres away, watching her cautiously. Andrea froze, her sorrows swiftly forgotten. She was well aware, she had nothing to defend herself with and was completely helpless, should the animal decide to attack. She was also aware that the wolf's pack could be quite close. She had heard once that wolves didn't commonly attack humans, but this wasn't Earth. Who knew what the beasts here were like? 

The wolf took a step closer then cocked its head to one side, as if studying her. Andrea gazed back at it, not realizing it was a bad idea to stare directly into its eyes as it could take it as a challenge. The wolf however simply sat back on its haunches and continued to regard her calmly. It was a young-looking wolf with a white coat and soft brown eyes.

A thought struck Andrea and she gasped. "You're the one that saved me yesterday!" 

The wolf jerked its head up and its tail thumped against the ground. 

Andrea was startled. Who knew what the beasts here were like? The thought struck her like a blow. "You understand me," she whispered. "You actually understand me."

The wolf eyed her curiously. Looking into his eyes, Andrea knew he was no threat to her. She held out her hand to him, trying to coax him forward.

"Come here, boy. I won't hurt you."

 The wolf crept forward, shyly. He sniffed at her hand then nudging it gently, rubbing his soft head against her. 

Andrea stroked his head, with a laugh. "Well, aren't you a friendly wolf? Are you someone's pet?"

 Naturally, he didn't answer but only licked her hand. 

"No, I don't think you are. Maybe once, but not now. You are a lone wolf without a pack. And I'm a lone child without a family. We should be friends, you know. I'll be your pack and you can be my family. Okay?" 

The wolf lunged up and licked her face delightfully. 

"You like that idea, do you? Well, you need a name then. I shall call you Felan because it means small wolf. It's Irish, you know, or Gaelic rather. That's the language of a country in my world. I was planning on going there one day." Her eyes clouded over at the words and she turned away, staring out into space. "That won't happen anymore, because I can't go back. I'm stuck here. Forever." Her voice broke and she wiped her hand over her eyes brushing away the tears. "So, Felan then?" 

The wolf whined happily. 

Andrea threw her arms around his neck and hugged him. "At least I have a friend now."

But as she uttered the words, Felan suddenly jerked back. He stepped away from her and turned, his ears pricked up listening. Andrea watched him, straining to hear what had startled him. Felan glanced at her, then letting out a deep whine, he turned quickly and slunk off into the trees. 

Andrea leapt to her feet. "No Felan, wait! Don't leave me."

There was a sound of something crashing through the undergrowth and Andrea swung around to face it. To her surprise and great relief, Ruffian burst out of the trees, barking joyously. 

Hugo was close at his heels. He stopped abruptly, looked Andrea up and down, then with a swift movement, flung his arms around her, drawing her close.

"What were you thinking?" he asked hoarsely, his arms tightening. 

Andrea was stunned. She had grown so used to being ignored, that she hadn't even thought for a minute that Harriet and Hugo might be worried. 

Hugo drew back and rubbed his face with his hand. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-" he cut off, shaking his head. "It's just that you remind me a lot of someone I knew once. Someone I loved dearly. Someone I lost." He lifted his gaze and his eyes locked with Andrea's. "I was worried you were hurt. Didn't you listen to one word I said earlier? This isn't a place for young girls to be."

Andrea lowered her head. "I'm sorry. It's just...it's hard."

"Believe me, I know." He reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. "The truth can really hurt sometimes. But come on, Harriet will be worried." 

He took Andrea's hand and began leading her back to the farmhouse. As they walked, Andrea glanced down at his hand that held hers in a firm but comforting grip. Hugo noticed her gaze and smiled softly, causing Andrea to turn away. A soft sigh left her lips and she pulled her hand gently back to her side. Hugo said nothing, but he watched her hold her hand close and noticed how she tenderly touched it. 

"What's he like?"

Andrea looked up startled. "Who?"

"Your dad. It's who you are thinking about, isn't it?"

"Oh," Andrea gave an embarrassed laugh. "Yeah. Well, he's...distant. I always wanted to be daddy's little girl but that wasn't how it worked out."

"And your mother?" Hugo wanted to know.

"She's...twice as distant. Sometimes I wonder if she even remembers I exist. I always get this feeling that she never really wanted me." She paused, taking a shaky breath. "What were your parents like?"

Hugo took a deep breath and frowned thoughtfully. "My mother was a lot like yours, by the sound of it. Or at least, I thought she was. But looking back now, I think about how tired and stressed she must have been. She didn't have a happy life, and we were both quite headstrong, causing us to clash constantly. But my father..." He smiled, as he thought back. "My father was one anyone would wish for. He was very gentle and was always ready to listen and understand. He was good with his hands and loved teaching me things. He died when I was young though. I missed him terribly. Still do, I guess."

"And what happened to your mum?" She looked up at him and was surprised to see he had halted and was staring into space as if remembering something he had tried to forget. Something, she had thrown back into his face. "Hugo?"

Hugo shook his head, as if to clear it. "There's the house there, through the trees." 

He started forward, leaving Andrea to catch up. When they broke out of the forest, Andrea saw Harriet standing on the steps, watching for them. The old woman sighed in relief and rushed forward to embrace her. Tears filled Andrea's eyes and threatened to over spill. Never in her life had she felt so loved.

"Forgive me, dear," Harriet whispered as her arms encircled Andrea and patted her back, comfortingly. "The truth can be painful sometimes, but it's something we just have to accept. I know it's hard, and I understand. We all experience it at some time in life in one way or another. I'm here for you though, if you need me, darling. I'm ready to talk whenever you want me to. Okay?"

Andrea nodded and stepped back. "I'm fine but thanks. I think...I think I just need time."

"Of course, dear. Now, come on in and sit down. I have some tea on the boil." 

She led Andrea up the steps. At the doorway, Andrea turned and looked back at Hugo. He was leaning against the paddock fence, fondling Ruffian's ears. His eyes, staring out over the hills, were moist with tears.

 As Andrea entered the house, filled with confused and sorrowful thoughts, she heard away in the distance, a lonely howl.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6K 912 20
A military expedition to a dying world at the ends of Space and Time, a world that was once the hub of a mighty space-faring empire where advanced sc...
37.1K 607 19
She's insecure. She's bullied. She tried to put on make up for the first time. She failed and got made fun of. She has a crush on this guy . When he...
2.3K 186 26
Layla has rotten luck when it comes to love but the rest of her life is going well. ... Or at least it was. Layla Takanashi had everything she neede...
203K 7.3K 88
Aang has long since past, the legend of Korra has begun but what if Raava had a mate, a spirit called Seeta and the vessels of these spirits meet, wh...