Checkmate - THE FINAL LEVEL

By Love_Bri94

Could this be the end of an era? Mya and Chris face turmoil in their marriage for the last time. Will they b... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
🫠
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
TwentyOne
TwentyTwo
TwentyThree
TwentyFour
TwentyFive
TwentySix
TwentySeven
TwentyEight
TwentyNine
Thirty
ThirtyOne
ThirtyTwo

Seventeen

2K 140 106
By Love_Bri94

Chapter Seventeen
Mya Anderson
Los Angeles, California - Two Months Later

Once I got my life situated for the first few weeks being home, I finally decided to get back to business. My only focus right now was my children and building my brand. I had to figure out my next step and with the help of my lovely sisters it's going to be loungewear and swimwear.

I've been working with multiple artists to come up with a logo, something that I'm just now realizing that I didn't have. So far nothing is clicking. I've already got a few pieces designed and I'm ready to start releasing it to the world but I just gotta find that stamp to put on there so every one with know that's Mya's shit right there.

And that explains my current destination.

There's only one artist that can give me what I want because this artist knows me better than anyone in the world.

Climbing out of my truck, I stared up at Chris's building. We're back to barely speaking and I don't blame him. I don't know what the hell came over me my first day home but I felt so damn bad about everything I said and did.

Mariah cussed me out when I told her and I deserved it all.

I constantly apologized and he kept saying it was cool, but I know Chris. Those words stung.

Finally getting up the nerve to move my feet, I went inside the building. Music was blasting, a few unfamiliar faces were there. I looked around until I spotted him and when I saw what the fuck I saw, my heart dropped to my knees.

She was brown skin, long black hair, a little taller than me but we had the same build. She sat close to him and from the way he smiled at her, I knew it was something.

I wanted to run, I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry but then I remembered I'm the one that filed for divorce. I knew he'd end up with someone else eventually...just not this soon and not a month after fucking me.

Was he dealing with her then?

Deeply inhaling, I walked over to where they were and when Chris saw me, his face grew pale.

"Hey." I said.

"Mya, hey." He was breathless and I loved it.

"I'm sorry, I should've called." I looked over at her and no bullshit, I was looking in a mirror. He found a Mya clone. Let me find out her birthday September 11th.

"Naw, you good. Uh we can go over here." He got up and led me over to a more secluded area.

"This is going to be quick, I promise. I just need a huge favor."

"Anything."

"So I'm starting a loungewear line and a swimwear line. Only thing I'm missing is a logo. I've asked so many artists to draw me something but it's not grasping my attention, so I thought maybe you could help."

"Yeah, I got you."

"I honestly don't know what I want so you can freestyle and just send me what you come up with. I know I'll fall in love with whatever you do."

He nodded. "I got you."

"Thanks. That's all I needed, so I'm gonna go."

"You don't have to."

"I do, I got some things to take care of."

He looked defeated. "Let me walk you out then." His hand tightly grabbed mine. Apart of me was saying to pull away and not to be that ex, but the other half of me was enjoying his touch.

I could feel her staring and I lowkey felt bad.

When we got outside, I slipped my hand away.

"Look Mya, she's just a friend."

"Chris, you're single. You don't have to explain anything to me."

"But I— if I would've known you were coming, she wouldn't have been here."

"Stop, please. It's okay."

He shook his head, he looked so distraught, like he fucked up or something. "I'll have those logos done for you in a few days."

"It's no rush, get to it when you can."

"Alright."

"I gotta go, for real. Thanks again." I quickly kissed his cheek then went around to my car and got in. Pulling off I finally let out that breath that I was holding. Blinking away the tears, I took my phone out of my purse and dialed Tim. I needed a laugh and I knew he'd give me one.

His phone rung for forever, then he finally answered. "Y'all always call me when I'm taking a good nap dawg."

"Boy bye. Get up, come to my house. I'm sad and need my big brother around to make me laugh."

"What's wrong?"

"I'll tell you later."

"Alright. I'll be there in an hour."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

When I got to a stop light, the tears that I fought just filled my eyes then. Why am I crying? I literally signed up for this!

Am I being selfish for wanting him to stay single forever so that if I decided to want him back he'd be available? I don't want another woman to make him feel, the way I do.

He kissed Nia...I was supposed to divorce him, right?

Right?

•••

"How many times I gotta tell you to lock your damn door! What you think they don't rob rich people?" Tim said but I paid him no attention. My head was buried in arms on top of the counter. I've had a headache since earlier. "So you ready to tell me why you sad and shit?"

Finally sitting up and looking at him, I sighed. "Chris is seeing someone." A pout formed on my face.

"How you know?"

"Went to his building to ask him about creating a logo for me and she was there. When he saw me, he wanted to panic and I'm not sure why. My impulsive thinking is why he's free to date."

"No, him being unfaithful opened the door, you didn't have to walk through it though."

"He begged me not to do it Tim but my pride was too big. I couldn't be labeled as that girl who's weak. Everybody's going to see me take him back after what he's done. I couldn't face that."

"You're always concerned about everybody out there. I know it's hard because your life is in the spotlight but Mya, you gotta live for you. We all told you that you didn't want this divorce, but you so badly wanted to prove to whoever that you weren't weak. You know people only know what you allow them to know. You ain't gotta comment on nothing, react to nothing. Stop living for outsiders, you gotta live for you Mya."

"I know Tim.....I said something so horrible to him when I came home."

"What?"

"I threw his domestic violence situation in his face."

Tim eyebrows furrowed. "Hell is wrong with you? I thought you going away was supposed to help."

"I was just angry."

"You always fucking angry. You gotta get some real help that's gone work cause this shit ain't healthy man. I thought once you brought up the things that happened when you were young everything was smooth."

"It was helping. Before this mess with Royalty, the only issue Chris and I had, was you then we were good for a long time."

"So what happened with Ro? I'm still in the dark about that how did you end up beefing with Nia."

"For one, I've never had beef with Nia but apparently, she's always had some type of hatred towards me. That's what I'm constantly hearing. But Royalty was...hurt and instead of telling her dad, she told me and then begged on her knees along with her mom to not say anything to Chris. I felt bad so I didn't say anything. She got a procedure done and the office that did the procedure, sent a post card to our house and Chris thought it was for me but the card said Ms. Brown. He figured out some shit was up, checked me and from there shit just hit the fan."

"I hope and pray you never thought you were right in that situation."

"I did. I thought that I was protecting him from making a crazy mistake but I just started a fire that eventually turned into an explosion."

Tim deeply inhaled. "Y'all gotta figure this shit out Mya. We all too old to be partaking in toxic behaviors. If I can grow up, you can too."

"Oh so you grown up now?"

"Yeah, you ain't noticed?"

"No." I said while laughing.

"Well I am and you'll see soon. I got some shit up my sleeve and you and everybody else will be super proud of me."

"That's what's up Tim. Any chances of me getting a sister in law from you? I heard Brian is on the dating scene."

"Fuck Brian and I don't know. I'm still tryna get my ducks in a row."

"Or wait for Amber to pop back up. I heard about you being a creep at her job."

"Mommy talks so damn much."

"You're just now figuring that out."

"Crazy."

"Why won't you just go talk to her though? You want me to do it?"

"Absolutely not and if I decide to pursue Amber again, I wanna make sure everything good. I was living off of you when I met her. I don't want her to think I'm on the same bullshit so once this one little situation I got going on pop and money start following, I might slide on her."

"That girl had you whipped honey!"

He smiled. "She was so fucking dope and actually gave a fuck about me. I miss her."

"You'll get her back, just show her you changed."

"I'll try and you Mya, get your shit together too. Life is more than the glitz and glamour."

"I know, ima get it together."

"We shall see."

Chris Brown

Parking outside of Mya's office I grabbed her food and my sketch book. I had been working hard to get her the perfect logo and I hope she like what I came up with.

No lie, I've been feeling super guilty since the day she came to see me. I know I shouldn't but I felt like she caught me cheating or something and as much as she tried to save face her eyes gave it away.

I met Connie a couple weeks ago at a party one of my friends threw. She wasn't desperate for my attention and that drew me to her. We chilled and talked all night. Her being at my building was the second time we'd been around each other. She texted me and asked to link up and I said okay.

I don't know if I'll be able to give my all to another woman because Mya is all I think about. The whole time I'm talking to Connie, I'm wondering what Mya got going on. If this really the end for us, I gotta fully close that chapter before I step into something new.

Heading inside the building, I went up to Mya's office and knocked.

"Come in." She responded.

Opening the door, I peaked my head in. "What's up."

"Hey Chris." She gave me a smile.

I fully came into the office and shut the door. "Brought you some food."

"Life saver, thank you!"

"And I got a few sketches for you to look at and some other stuff I wanna run by you."

"Mm, I wonder what that is." She said while opening the bag. When she saw what was in it, she groaned. "Oh my goodness, how did you know I wanted oxtails. I've gained ten pounds since I've been home and this is why."

Laughing I sat across from her. "You look good though."

"Thanks, so before we get to the sketches what did you wanna run by me."

"I need a stylist for a job."

"Mmhm."

"I asked Jovan, he's booked during that time so you're my only hope right now, so please don't say no because I really don't want to dress myself."

"What do you need me to style you for?"

"A performance...in Jamaica."

"Oh so you need me to just pack everything for you."

"No, I need you to come. Because not only do I need help with me, I need you to get my dancers together too."

"Why do I need to come though, it's not like you're doing outfit changes."

"Come on Mya, you know me. I'm never satisfied with my clothes. I gotta do multiple changes and I need you to be there."

"Chris."

"Pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssssse." I poked my lip out and clasped my hands together. "I won't ask you for anything else after this."

"That's a lie. When's the show?"

"Next month."

"Uuuuugh!"

"I know it's last minute but it's really Jovan's fault. He took forever to tell me he couldn't do it."

"Remind to cuss him out."

"I will, so you'll do it?"

"How much you paying?"

"Whatever you want, just name your price?"

"I want a new Range Rover."

"I got you."

"Alright, just send me the details. I'll start brainstorming some stuff. I gotta come by the house and look through your clothes so have food or I'll be angry.

Laughing I nodded. "Anything you want. I really appreciate this Mya."

"I gotta find a flight and an Airbnb now."

"Don't worry about that, just be packed for a couple weeks."

"WEEKS?! Chris the kids are in school, I can't leave them for a couple weeks. I was already gone for months."

"Mya, don't worry. Ima work all this out. I need you, please." I grabbed her hand.

"You are so annoying."

"You love me though."

"Can I see the sketches now?" She pulled her hand away from me and held it out.

"Yeah." Handing over what I had, I nervously watched as her eyes moved around the paper.

"Chris, this is so pretty."

Getting up from my seat I went around to her. I decided to use a rose because they're her favorite and I found a way to incorporate her brand in it. "You should've seen how many balled up pieces of paper were on the floor before I got to this. Shit had me stressed out."

Mya laughed. "You did an amazing job. It's perfect for my loungewear. Just a small symbol of me on there."

"I can't wait to see it."

"Thank you so much." She look up at me.

"You're welcome." I pinched her chin and her teeth pierced her lip. My hand moved up the side of face and gently rubbed it.

As soon as I got ready to make my next move a knock filled the room. Quickly I stepped back, shoving my hands in my pockets. Mya cleared her throat. "Come in."

Her assistant walked in. "The vendor is here in the conference room, you ready to do inventory or did you want me to take care of it. Hey Chris."

"What's up." I nodded my head.

"Uh, nope. I'll be down in a second."

"Cool." Her assistant walked out and Mya got up collecting her things.

"I have to go. I'll call you later about the Jamaica thing. Thanks again for the logo, you're amazing." Her arm wrapped around my neck, pulling me to a hug. I slipped mine around her waist.

"Anytime."

When she pulled back she gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Bye."

"Bye."

I watched her rush out the room. Groaning, I grabbed my book and headed out.

I gotta get my mind right.

__________________

Y'all might get back to back updates. I got the next few chapters in my head and I need to write them down before it goes away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.4K 2.1K 68
What will Chris do when he finds out he left her for nothing... When he realizes he could have had it all had he not been a coward...
11.8K 488 31
complications and hard times. will everything be alright with the two lovers in the end?
2.9K 332 31
❛And I've been looking for the feeling, looking all my life Boy, you give it to me every time❜ Five girls go to Miami for a long holiday and end up b...
3.1K 239 32
Five years after Charlie made the hard decision of family over love, Tony is back in her life. Will they be able to rekindle the special love they on...