Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 15

296 17 16
By arlenerae

Elysia's POV:

I wiped my nose and sniffled, burying my head in my knees once again.

Why does this keep happening to me?

What did I do to deserve this?

Why can't mother love me?

They said parents abandoned their children in foster home because they didn't want us.

Even at the foster home, Mrs. Thompson made it clear that she didn't like me. That's probably why she was friends with mother. But I've never done anything to harm anyone. So why do the grown-ups in my life seem to hate me so much?

Are all grown-up women like this? Will I become like them when I grow up?

"I don't want to be like them," I whispered, tears streaming down my face.

Suddenly, a gentle nudge on my head made me look up in fear, thinking my mother had returned. But I was astonished to see Nova, nudging my head with his own. His innocent eyes locked onto mine, his white fur marked with dirt. He surely ran a long way to come here again, just to find me.

"Nova!" My eyes lit up as I gazed at my only friend. I had told him to stay away from this place, but he always managed to find me. Thankfully, mother hadn't noticed him, otherwise she would never allow it to wander around near me.

It had been nearly three years since I had helped Nova with his injured leg. Since then, he had been my constant companion whenever I sat outside in our backyard. He had grown quite a bit during this time, much bigger than when I first found him.

I stretched my arms out, inviting him closer. He snorted softly and settled down beside me, rubbing his head against mine, trying to offer comfort. I hugged him tightly as my sobs grew louder.

"Nova! Let's promise to grow up together and escape from here," I said, looking at him through my tear-filled eyes. He let out a soft snort as if understanding my words.

"What if we don't have parents, we still have each other. We'll live together and be happy."

Nova didn't have parents either. He was a lone horse, and I didn't know where he had come from, but he was good at sneaking around. We would run away and live together.

He responded by nudging me to lean against him. I rested my head on his back, and he turned his head to circle it around me, providing warmth to my shivering form.

"Do you think my parents left me because I wasn't good enough?" I murmured, voicing a question that had haunted me for so long. Nova didn't have the answers, but he offered a silent understanding that felt just as comforting.

I wished I could see my parents one last time, to ask them why they abandoned me.

Why did they leave me when parents are supposed to love their children, like the other children I had seen?

But it was impossible to have my questions answered because I had never met my parents.

I don't know who are they or where are they...

There was no one who could answer me...

The rumbling of my stomach pulled me back to reality. I looked down, realizing that I hadn't eaten properly in days. Nova's presence had momentarily distracted me from the pangs of hunger.

Unexpectedly, Nova nickered, as if eager to show me something. When I turned to look at him, he nudged me gently, prompting me to climb onto his back.

"Do you want to play?" I asked, wiping away my tears and managing a smile. He sat there, waiting patiently until I mounted him. Once he was sure I was seated securely, he stood up. I held onto his neck tightly to maintain my balance as he started moving.

"Nova, let's not go too far. Mother will be back soon, and Papa isn't around these days. If she doesn't find me at home, she'll be furious," I reminded him, my heart racing as we ventured further from my prison-like home.

Nova didn't pay attention to my warning. He continued to walk for a while until we reached what seemed like a garden.

I looked around in awe at the view. It was full of trees, a sight I had never seen before beyond our house. Nova stopped near one tree, and when I looked up, I saw numerous apples hanging from the branches. Nova shook the tree with his head, causing a few apples to fall. He then sat down on the ground again to let me off his back.

I carefully climbed off and approached the fallen apples. I picked up two apples and returned to Nova. After wiping the fruit on my clothes, I offered one to Nova, who eagerly accepted it. I took a bite of my apple, my tears now mingling with a genuine smile.

"I love you, Nova," I said, my voice barely a whisper. He was really the only one to ever care for me genuinely. In that moment, I felt an inexplicable connection to him-a bond that went beyond words, as we sat side by side and shared the simple meal.

Eventually, we returned to the backyard of my house. I climbed down from Nova's back, and gestured him to leave, waving goodbye and make my way to the house. Just as I stepped inside the dark and silent house, a strange sensation under my bare foot caught me off guard. I slipped and fell on my knees as a soft and quiet thud echoed. That was when I was hit by an overpowering, sickening smell—a smell that seemed to hang heavily in the air.

My hand instinctively covered my mouth to stifle a yelp as I stumbled and almost fell down again. I quickly got up, wiping my face with my clothes, feeling something wet and slippery beneath my hands. Panic gripped me as I realized I was standing on something... something wet, something sticky, and the smell almost made me vomit the food I ate earlier. Using the wall for support, I staggered to my feet and began ascending the stairs.

But then I heard noises from my mother's bedroom. Had she returned? Did she notice I wasn't home?

The hairs on my neck stood on end as I heard a loud, shattering sound from inside the room.

Is someone else in there?

Fearful, I continued climbing the stairs, intending to sneak to my room quietly so mother wouldn't realize I'd been outside. The bedroom door was slightly open, allowing light to spill out onto a few steps.

Just a step away from the bedroom door, I glanced down and froze.

That... slippery substance...

It was... blood?!

My gaze slowly moved downward in shock. A trail of blood covered the stairs, leading directly to the bedroom.

I instinctively covered my mouth to muffle a scream as tears streamed down my face. When I realized my hands were covered in blood, I wiped them frantically on my clothes.

Where had all this blood come from?

So much blood...

It was like a pool of blood...

"He was cheating on me that's why he used to always go on work trips." Mother's chilling voice reached my ears, holding the venom that shook me to the core.

"But now what?" I heard a man's voice replied.

The shock paralyzed me as I glanced into the bedroom, my eyes unblinking and my body frozen in terror as I noticed a figure.

Papa?!

It was papa!

He lay there just a few steps from the bedroom door, blood pooling around him and flowing from his body. He wasn't moving at all, his eyes wide open and fixed on... me?!

A terrified sob escaped me along with a hiccup, and I covered my mouth again, as inexplicable fear rushed through me. But just as I did, the bedroom door swung open wide, revealing mother, covered in blood and holding a massive knife. Her hollow eyes locked onto mine as blood dripped from the tip of the knife she held...

••••••

I woke up with a start, gasping for breath, my heart pounding in my chest. My eyes darted around, trying to make sense of my surroundings. A sudden burst of bright light caused me to squint, momentarily blinding me.

As reality settled in, my surroundings gradually came into focus, everything falling back into place.

Ah yes, we were on the plane, flying back to UK. I placed a trembling hand over my racing heart, taking slow, deep breaths as I pressed my back against the seat, attempting to steady myself.

It had been a while since these nightmares plagued me. The moments of my past that I desperately wished to leave behind, never to revisit.

I shook my head, attempting to clear the vision and dispel those haunting images from my mind as I cast a glance at the closed cabin door.

Ares had grown distant and aloof ever since I evaded his question. The disappointment I had glimpsed in his warm, hazel eyes caught me off guard.

It wasn't like I intentionally hid it from him, but the situation we were living in right now didn't allow me to answer his question. I couldn't tell him about Beastie because that would create a heck of a trouble for her and everything would be messed up again. We both were hiding from the world for different reasons...

A sigh escaped my lips as my thoughts returned to our recent phone conversation. We need to move again but where would we go this time? Last time, we were lucky because a friend of dad's helped us but now that mom is in this condition, what are we going to do?

Is there any place where we can live happily without being scared all the time? All my life, I had seen mom so worried about disclosing my existence that now it made me question my own identity.

Why do we need to runaway?

Who is the person who's chasing us for years?

Why does it seem life threatening?

Could that all be related to my biological mother?

There's only one person who can answer all my questions, and that was mom.

I really need answers, to protect the people I love. I need to know the truth about my parents and the past my mom kept hidden.

All of a sudden, the cabin door swung open, and Ares emerged, looking weary and stressed. He settled into a seat far from me without a glance in my direction, shutting his eyes and massaging his forehead with a troubled expression.

What's troubling him? He's been more silent than usual since we boarded the plane. While I was upset with him earlier because of his attitude, seeing him like this replaced my annoyance with genuine concern.

Is he feeling alright?

It seemed like he was having a headache.

I stood up instinctively to check on him but hesitated halfway. Considering he hadn't been speaking to me, I doubted he would appreciate my concern.

Instead, I returned to my seat, retrieved a pack of paracetamol from my handbag, and then took out a small water bottle.

With the items in hand, I approached him quietly, hoping he'd sense my presence. Yet, his eyes remained shut, his forehead creased in a deep frown.

I cleared my throat delicately to capture his attention. Swiftly, he opened his eyes, fixing them on me. As he noticed the pill in my hand, his eyebrows quirked, and he directed a questioning gaze at me.

"Is that for me, Miss Lawson?" he inquired, his gaze moving from my hand to my face.

I nodded thrice emphatically, ensuring my 'yes' was unmistakable. He lowered his head abruptly, concealing his expression from my view, as a sudden chuckle-like cough escaped his lips.

Perplexed, I attempted to tilt my head to decipher his reaction when he cleared his throat and met my eyes again, extending his hand toward me for the pill.

I placed a pill in his palm promptly, and without delay, opened the water bottle for him. He accepted the bottle, consuming the pill along with a gulp of water.

He gave the bottle back to me muttering a thanks. I nodded and smiled at him earnestly.

However, he froze looking at my expression. My smile froze in the middle, trying to figure out what happened.

Did I do something wrong again?!

"Could you stay at the office today?" he suddenly asked.

Huh?

"I mean, there's quite a bit of work at the office. Can you stay for the day?" he repeated, his words tinged with uncertainty.

I nodded in understanding. There were numerous meetings lined up for the day, so I had already planned on remaining at the office before heading back to the hospital. I'd inform Beastie about it.

He seemed satisfied by my response, his demeanor relaxing. The announcement over the intercom signaled the need to fasten seatbelts as the plane was preparing to land.

Returning to my seat, I secured my seatbelt and gathered my belongings.

Once we landed, we headed straight to the office. However, I couldn't help but notice that the security seemed tighter than usual.

The day flew by as I focused on my work, and I completely forgot to let Beastie know about my late arrival.

Finally finishing up the forecasting report, I stretched and got up from my chair. I walked over to the printer, expecting to find the report ready. But to my surprise, nothing had printed. I furrowed my brow, wondering why.

Why didn't it print?

I checked everything again, looking at the machine closely. It seemed fine, so why wasn't it working?

What's the issue here? I tried to understand its workings, but I'm not good with tech stuff. Should I call someone to fix it?

Yeah, that's probably the best idea.

Deciding to ask for help, I turned around and almost bumped into someone. Looking up, I saw Ares standing just a few inches away, staring right at me...

****************

Hey, my lovely people! Your thoughts about today's chapter? 🥰

This is the first time I wrote this kind of scene in a story (Elysia's nightmare) would you please give me a feedback about how was it as a reader? 🤗

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 666 54
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
15.1K 2.3K 48
❝ I love to hate you; because if I don't, then I will hate to love you. ❞ (PLEASE note that this was my first work and is unedited. I've greatly matu...
341K 7.6K 68
"What the hell do you want from me?" I yelled "YOU" he roared "IT'S ALWAYS YOU" my heart pounded in my chest but I knew better Lies, All lies!! "Well...
235K 6K 39
UNEDITED |Freya Livingston| has always liked being alone it's not that nobody wanted to be her friend it's more that she didn't want to be bothered...