Chronicles of the Apocalypse:...

By Pacman1994

Years after the war with the raiders, Kyle and his group are finally living a peaceful life in a rebuilt Berr... More

Director
Executive Producer
Music Composer
Cast/Characters
Cast/Characters-Others
Visual Effects and Animation
Distributor
Prologue
Chapter 2: New Berrington
Chapter 3: Injustice
Chapter 4: What to do next?
Chapter 5: Olympians
Chapter 6: San Francisco
Chapter 7: M.I.A
Chapter 8: Hunt For Olympians
Chapter 9: Killing Grounds
Chapter 10: Communication
Chapter 11: Rogue Prophets
Chapter 12: The Effects of Last Night
Chapter 13: The Olympian Hospital
Chapter 14: What's Happening To Us?
Chapter 15: At What Cost?
Chapter 16: Unusual Alliances
Chapter 17: Showdown
Chapter 18: Memory Lane
Chapter 19: The Prophet Island
Epilogue

Chapter 1: Something Better Than This

35 1 0
By Pacman1994

Present Day. 12 years later. 2042. Three weeks after the battle with the Raiders and the breach.

In an abandoned home, on patrol, James is sitting across from Kyle, cleaning his goggles as Shawn leans against the wall.

James: Do you guys ever think about how life could've been different for us? If we had made better choices for ourselves? For the people we care about? I do....all the time....I think about the dead all the time. Their faces...every single one of them. All the people who never got to make it to where we are.

Flashbacks of deceased main allies; Dante, Colin, Ashley, Nora, Walter, Billy, Daniel, Alexandria, Blake, Maya, Beth, Catherine, Marcus, Mitchell, Joseph, Jake, Andrew, Bowers, Woody, Abigail, Alicia, Moses and Laura.

James: But I also think about the people the wasteland created monsters out of....the ones lost in darkness.

Flashbacks of deceased antagonists, Nathan, Jack and Rick Barnes, Harry, Kane, Ryder, Scorcher, Mina, Colm, Lynn, Magna, Starr, Gilbert, Sawyer, Quinton, Wes, Melanie and Tobin.

James: We've had to kill all this time in the discarded wasteland...it's so easy; killing...it's all we ever know how to do....but then I think to myself, what if we don't have to? What if we never have to kill? Every war; we've been in...we've always had to take a life...and we never think about the consequences of our actions. We've done a lot of bad shit.....we slaughtered people while on their knees.

Flashbacks

Nathan, Walter and Killen force the surrendering Butchers including the Cook on their knees.

Nathan: On your knees! On your knees! Now!

The surrendering butchers and the cook begin to beg for mercy.

Butcher Cook: Please....show mercy.

Appalled and disgusted, Nathan, Killen and Walter execute the surrendering Butchers and the cook.

Kyle pulls out his Zeus Corps machete.

Quinton: NO!

Kyle hacks into Quinton, splattering blood all over him. James watches in horror.

Present

James: We've killed people in the most brutal ways.

Flashbacks

Nathan is suddenly impaled through the chest with the machete held by Kyle. Sarah then stabs Tobin in the mouth, causing him to spit up blood. Walter proceeds to beating Kane's face-in with the crowbar. Kyle then executes Wes by shooting him in the head. Cassandra then slices and stabs Lynn, repeatedly in anger, splashing blood everywhere.

Present

James: We....we almost killed a kid.

Flashback

Hunter: (muffled) Please! Please! Don't shoot me! Please! I wanna live!

James rushes up to Shawn.

James: Shawn, you listen to me! Kyle is wrong on this, do you understand?! Make up your mind! If you do this, you will be able to fucking live with yourself!

Rachel: Please, Shawn....

James: We are fucking better than this, Shawn!

Rachel: I don't want to shoot you!

Shawn looks down at Hunter, looking him in the eyes, before he gives a frustrated yell, then shoots.

Present

Kyle sighs.

Kyle: This world isn't easy to live in, James. You of all people know that.

James looks up at Kyle.

James: It doesn't have to be a world we live in, you know? I mean; think about it, Kyle. A world where all we do to survive is kill; you know how to be a leader, but ask yourself, do you really want to keep living a life like this? Do you want your family to grow up in a world that knows nothing but death on a daily basis?

Kyle: If it were my choice, yes.....

James: I don't plan on living like this forever, Kyle...and I don't think you do either....I don't think any of us do...that's not a life I want for myself...or for Cassandra....we've all lost so much...we have to do better than this, guys....for the future of Berrington and for ourselves, we just have to.

Kyle lets out a sigh and shakes his head before he looks back at Shawn, then James.

Kyle: If only the world could let us do better.....we should get back.

Kyle gets up and grabs his backpack. James watches Kyle start to leave then stands up, before Shawn looks down at the floor and folds his lips. He then follows Kyle out, before James sighs, grabs his bag and puts his goggles in the bag and follows the two out. The three go out to the garage, open the door then head to horses and climb on. Then the three head out and start to head home to Berrinton. They make their way over the grassy hill to see the town of Berrington in the distance. As they make their way down the hill, Shawn starts to speak.

Shawn: Hey, did Sarah go for her checkup?

The trio continued down the hill.

Kyle: She's suppose to go today...guess I'll find out how she is when I get home. The past week, she's been sick and throwing up almost every morning.

James: Think it's the flu?

Kyle: Doesn't seem like it. Margaret and Kayla are doing a check up on her.

Shawn: Well, we're almost home.

The trio makes it to the front gate of Berrington. As they get closer, the doors opened and they trotted inside and head over to the stable. Kyle gets off his horse, grabs the reigns and starts to lead the horse to the stable.

Shawn: It's cool. I got them, you go on home.

James: You sure?

Shawn nods.

James: Alright....

Kyle walks home while Shawn touches James' shoulder as he walks by.

Shawn: I get it, little brother. I do....this world; it's not easy to live in, but we can't let our guard down either. Your morality is what keeps us going...it's what keeps me going.

James: (laughs) Thanks, Shawn....

James walks down the street while Shawn leads the horses to the stable. In her little room, which was basically a shed behind Kyle and Sarah's house, Rachel was drawing in her journal with Hunter in the room. The two are listening to Hunter's walkman and the two teens bob their heads to the music as Rachel continued drawing while Hunter was reading.

Rachel: Okay, so what do you think?

Rachel holds up her journal to Hunter and showed the drawing of him. Hunter leans in and looks at the drawing.

Hunter: Well, you got the eyes right, but it's the nose that's the issue. It looks like a twig.

Rachel smacks Hunter's shoulder.

Rachel: Jerk!

Hunter: I'm kidding. It looks nice.

Rachel rolls her eyes.

Rachel: You're an asshole.

Hunter: Seriously, though. It looks amazing.

Rachel looks back at Hunter.

Rachel: You think so?

Hunter: Yeah....you know, you really don't have to wear your bandage when it's just me....

Rachel looks down, fidgeting with the bandage over her burned eye and scar on her face. The two share a look just as they hear a knock on the door. The door opens and Kyle sticks his head inside.

Kyle: Hello? Kids?

The teens look up at him.

Rachel and Hunter: (in unison) Hey, Kyle.

Immediately, there's the feeling of awkwardness in the room.

Hunter: What's up, Kyle?

Kyle: Just checking in on you guys....seeing how y'all are doing...you know, folks are always talking about how we've have been really helping out with rebuilding Berrington after the breach...

Kyle paces back and forth in the room.

Kyle: Giving people hope again....but really, I think I have to thank you guys.

Rachel: You could've done it without us...I mean, you two helped everyone take out those Skinners inside the walls while I was lying down in a hospital bed.

Hunter: What? No, Kyle's right, Rachel ....you definitely helped make a difference at Berrington.......I mean, it's just all of you gave me a new purpose....especially after, well...especially you, Rachel.

Rachel giggles.

Rachel: Thanks, Hunter...Ummm...Is Sarah okay? I heard she wasn't feeling good.

Kyle: She hadn't made it back from the doctor yet....but I guess I'll find out here real soon.

Rachel: Well, it's, uh, it's pretty late and I gotta get up in a few hours--

Kyle: Before that, Rachel, uh...

Kyle points towards the door and then looks back at her and Hunter.

Kyle: Uh...Hunter, do you mind if you....?

Rachel: Actually, I prefer that he stay if that's alright....

Kyle: Okay...I just wanna show you something. Just gimme one second.

Kyle goes to the door, opens it and picks up the guitar then comes back into the room.

Kyle: What's this?

Rachel nods towards the instrument.

Kyle: Southern folks call this the most deadliest weapon in the world; the gee-tar.

Rachel chuckles.

Rachel: Funny.

Hunter: Actually, it really could be used as a bludgeon weapon or if you took off the strings and use it to-

Rachel and Kyle stare as Hunter babbles.

Hunter: Sorry...

Kyle: You two wanna hear somethin, then?

Rachel: Sure.

Hunter: Okay...

Kyle goes to sit down, the guitar on his lap.

Kyle: Both of you promise me that you won't laugh.

Rachel: We won't laugh.

Hunter: We won't?

Rachel: We won't.

Rachel and Hunter sit down in their chairs.

Kyle: I'm trusting both of you.

Kyle takes a deep breath and starts to play.

Kyle: (singing) She spins and she sways to whatever song plays without a care in the world...and I'm sitting here wearing the weight of the world on my shoulders. It's been a long day and there's still work to do. She's pulling at me saying "Dad, I need you. There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited and I need to practice my dancing. Oh, please. Daddy, please. So I will dance with Cinderella while she is here in my arms cause I knew something the prince never knew. Oh, I will dance with Cinderella. I don't want to miss even one song cause all too soon, the clock will strike midnight...and she'll be gone.

As Kyle sings the song, Rachel smiles, softly, at him as does Hunter while Sarah started walking towards the door then leaned against the frame. Kyle stops playing and looks over at Rachel.

Kyle: There you go.

Rachel: Well...that wasn't bad.

Hunter: I give it a A.

Kyle chuckles while Sarah smiles.

Kyle: I'll take what I get.

Sarah: Well, in my opinion, that was pretty damn good.

Hunter, Rachel, and Kyle look over at Sarah, both of them startled as they didn't hear her come in.

Kyle: Hey.

Kyle starts to stand up, still holding the guitar in his hand, and walking up to her.

Rachel: Hey, Sarah. You doing okay?

Sarah lets out a heavy sigh.

Sarah: Yeah, yeah. I'm fine, but, um...

Sarah then she looks over at Kyle.

Sarah: I-I need to talk to you...privately.

The two share a look before Kyle nods then goes back over to Rachel and holds out the guitar.

Kyle: Call it a gift.

Rachel looks at this in shock.

Rachel: Really?

Kyle: Yeah, plus, you'll make better music out of this thing that I will.

Rachel takes the guitar, then looks up at him, surprised. She smiles and then looks down at the instrument.

Rachel: Thank you, Kyle.

Kyle nods.

Kyle: Don't mention it.

Hunter: Well, it's getting late and I think I'm gonna head home.

Hunter grabs his walkman, before turning to Rachel.

Hunter: See you tomorrow?

Rachel: Sure thing.

Hunter leaves and brushes past Kyle and Sarah. Kyle walks over to Sarah, who takes his hand in hers, and start to walk out. Kyle then grabs the knob on the door.

Kyle: Goodnight, kid.

Kyle shuts the door and the two head back to their house. Later, Kyle opens the front door of their home and Sarah walks in first before she stops in the middle of the hallway.

Kyle: Everything alright?

Kyle shuts the door and walks up to Sarah, her back facing him and her arms folded across her chest and heart beating rapidly, whether in fear or excitement she wasn't for sure.

Kyle: Sarah...

Kyle comes up to Sarah and places his hands on her shoulders. She turns her head to look at him then placed her right hand on his hands.

Kyle: Whatever it is you need to tell me, we'll get through it.

Sarah smiles at this, then removes her hand off his and turns to face him.

Sarah: I, uh....I really don't know how to say it, so I'm gonna come out and say it.

Kyle gives Sarah a worried look as she takes a few deep breathes before she starts to speak.

Sarah: Kyle...I'm pregnant....again.

Kyle's eyes widen and he let's out a gasp at this.

Kyle: What? Y-you serious?

Sarah: Yeah. Margaret and Kayla thinks I'm a little over three weeks long. It happened that night we had together before Wes and the raiders showed up and captured some of our people. The knife Tobin stabbed me with missed the baby completely.

Sarah places her hand over her stomach, feeling the little bump. There is a long-shocked pause between the two before she speaks up.

Sarah: Kyle? Honey, are you...?

She started to asked but then Kyle cups her face in his face then leans in and kisses her on the lips.

Kyle: Thank you. We get a second chance.

Sarah: We get a second chance.

Sarah lets out a breathless laugh, and the couple share another loving kiss then embrace one another, relishing in this happy moment. A moment that neither one of them ever dreamed before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125 38 9
After a highly contagious disease caused the downfall of mankind as they know it, married couple Sophia and Tom were forced to leave their home and s...
3.6K 191 11
↳ π‚πŽπŒππ‹π„π“π„πƒ *ೃ:.✧✲゚*q⋆ γ€Œπ₯𝐞𝐯𝐒 𝐚𝐜𝐀𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐱 𝐟𝐞𝐦𝐚π₯𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 」 γ€Œπ’‚π’‘π’π’„π’‚π’π’šπ’‘π’”π’† 𝑨𝑼」 β•­β”ˆβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ...
273 31 31
When events cause Laura, the former leader of Berrington, to step down, Kyle must take her place and teach the residents of Berrington to survive and...
13.6K 586 26
People don't arrive broken. They start with passion and yearning till something comes along that disabuses them of those notions. Some people stay br...