The Witch's Destiny || Thrand...

By -aestheteyouth

Violet Potter has been at war for her entire life. It all started almost 27 years ago when Voldemort killed h... More

Cast
DISCLAIMER
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVIII

Chapter XXVII

820 33 12
By -aestheteyouth

Travelling had only exacerbated the need for sleep tea. Three days had passed since they left, and she was up to four cups of it at night. Something was niggling in her mind, desperately trying to escape the box she was keeping locked tight. She wished it was physically possible to actually lock that box and still throw away the key. Even though she journaled her feelings, her mind refused to cooperate, insisting on continuing to push the mental torture it wanted to inflict.

The dark circles were prevalent under her eyes. She never thought she would be in a relationship where the couples decided to be matching, and she really never thought dark circles would've been what they matched with. Thranduil's seemed to be improving just ever so slightly, a sign to his improving mental state.

But the traveling would be temporarily over soon, for she could see Erebor clearer than ever. In the next five minutes, they would finish passing through Dale, and arrive on the front doorstep of the Mountain. She would be happy once they'd settled in for the night. Seven days were left before the orcs would arrive and there was way too much to do. She needed to make sure Thorin and Co. were okay, to speak with Gandalf regarding a certain pesky dragon, and to do some last-minute preparations with the wizards for it.

It was a good thing they had pushed themselves with travelling the day before because it meant they arrived here mid-afternoon. The sun was shining brightly, but the air was brisk. Winter was fully upon them now. Flufflepuff was tucked tightly into her cloak pocket, both keeping warm with a warming charm.

They crossed the bridge from Dale to Erebor and Violet moved off to the side to ensure everyone passed over safely. Thranduil came beside her to do the same.

She rubbed her hand over her eyes. "I know that I'm probably tired and don't have the elven senses to know this, but the elves from Rivendell and Lothlorien are here, right?"

He smiled gently. "They are here. We are being watched by one of their scouts now on the eastern ridge." He narrowed his eyes slightly. "Are you sleeping well?"

"Thran, I haven't slept well in weeks. I'm just tired now because I'm a human and travelling is tiring for us." He said nothing more, but continued looking at her, chewing on the inside of his lip. "I'll be okay."

"Just... promise me you will rest at the first opportunity you get?"

"I'll be able to rest all I want when these orcs are dead."

-

Who knew it took such a long time to move ten-thousand soldiers over such a narrow bridge? It's almost as if Dale wasn't meant to be a city for a quick getaway!

The elves of Rivendell and Lothlorien had camped on the eastern ridge, expertly tucked away near the edge of the Lonely Mountain in the valleys of the rolling hills behind it. The relatively small camp of six thousand was almost tripled with their inclusion and would triple once the army of Dain Ironfoot arrived.

The elves immediately set to work, not seeming to have lost any stamina during the long trip. Tents were being set up all around: ones for resting and food closer to the middle and medical tents closer to the edge; the woodland elves, used to resting in tents during their patrols, expertly set them up with a quickness and ease that Violet knew she did not have.

Having magic was lucky for her; otherwise, the tent would probably collapse on her in the middle of the night. And how sad was that? Dying not via orcs, but because she couldn't pitch a tent properly.

"Lady Violet!" a voice called. She turned around, searching for the source, eyes landing on a platinum blond ellon who wasn't one of her two. Covered in fine armor and a red cape, Haldir's face was ever so serious as he bowed lightly in front of her.

"You don't have to do that," she said when he stood back up.

"Yes, I do."

"Okay," she said, "but you really don't."

"Yes, I do."

"Okay."

"There's something—"

But he didn't get to finish his words before a body slammed – somehow lightly – into her own, nearly taking her off her feet in surprise if Haldir wasn't there to catch them both.

"Bloody hell!" she exclaimed, hearing Flufflepuff squeal from the surprise awakening. She separated herself from the second person, checking on Flufflepuff first, and thanking Rowena that he was okay. Looking up to the person, a grin grew on her face. "Luthadis!"

"Aunt!"

Violet blushed, looking away from the two elves. Gathering herself, she looked back and said, "What are you doing here? I didn't know you were a soldier."

"'Tis a family trait." She shrugged. "I am actually the one leading our company here."

Haldir cleared his throat. "Ladies, I do not mean to interrupt the reunion, but Lady Violet there really is something you should see."

"Of course," Violet agreed, gesturing for him to lead the way. He did so, leading her and Luthadis through the ever-growing camp all the way to where the walls of Erebor began. Gandalf was leaning back against it, staff in one hand and a half-eaten apple in the other. She took off in a run, trying to reach him as quickly as possible. "Mithrandir!"

"Violet," he called back with a smile. She reached him, taking in his haggard appearance. Reaching a hand up, she felt both his cheeks and his forehead. He laughed, catching her hand and bringing it away from his face. "I do not have a fever. I'm in perfect health."

"Why are you outside the Mountain?" she demanded, "Where is Thorin? Is he okay? Is everyone else? Is Smaug still asleep?"

"Breathe," he responded, "I'll answer them all, but first, we must find the others."

"Okay. I, uh, must admit I do not know where they are."

"I will take care of that," Haldir said, "Thranduil was seen going into his tent in the middle outside portion of the camp."

She gave him a smile. "Thank you, Haldir." He bowed low and left to do his task. "I'm used to being addressed as 'Lady' by now, but blimey that's new in a weird way."

"What is?" Gandalf asked.

She looked at him. "Being bowed to."

The wizard chuckled. "Well, you know elves are rather courteous when it comes to those in power."

"Don't worry," Luthadis said, "You'll get used to it."

The three walked together through camp, many of the woodland elves greeting Luthadis along the way. Thranduil's tent was easy enough to find with Haldir's direction; it was the largest tent, of course, and the cloth doors on either side were pulled back. The Elven-king was inside with the chest plate and shoulder pads of his armour removed, revealing the thick material of his black tunic underneath.

He must have sensed their approaching, for he turned their way and gave a large smile, moving towards his niece. He wrapped her tightly in a hug, swaying her side to side.

"I wondered if you would be here," he said, holding her by the shoulders.

"I could not let you, Uncle, have all the fun," she teased, "Plus, someone has to make sure adar isn't getting too old for the battlefield."

He narrowed his eyes. "I am older than your father."

"Ah, yes, you are correct. Shall I fetch your cane now?" she teased, "Be sure you don't break a hip while you attempt to kill the orcs."

"Care to make a wager? The one who kills the most orcs wins?" he asked, turning around to sit back in his chair with a smirk. Luthadis walked further under the tent, and after looking at each other, so did Violet and Gandalf. The elleth crossed her arms and nodded with an identical smirk that clearly ran in the family.

"Definitely," she said, "Say... ten bottles of Dorwinion to the winner?"

"Aye," he replied, "We have a deal." He looked at the two wizards. "Either of you care to enter the wager?"

"Aye," replied Gandalf, "but I only bet five bottles of Dorwinion on Thranduil."

"Violet?" he asked, smiling at her.

"No," she said, shaking her head with a smile, "I tend to lose the gambles I make."

"Ah, but you will be betting on me." He winked at her. "So, you will not lose."

"Ah, but I will lose just because I made the bet."

"Bet on what?" Authanar asked, walking under the tent, Legolas at his side. The young ellon immediately moved to his cousin's side, wrapping her tightly in a hug and greeting her with a large smile. Haldir walked in just behind them, taking the liberty to shut the cloth doors that had previously been held back.

"Your daughter and brother are making a bet at who will kill more orcs in battle," Violet answered, looking over her shoulder at him.

"I want in on this," Authanar announced, walking over to his daughter and wrapping her in a tight hug, "But obviously, I will be betting on my own daughter. Mae govannen, iellig." (I greet, you, my daughter.)

"Mae govannen, ada," she replied, lifting herself to press a kiss to his cheek. (I greet you, dad.)

Thranduil narrowed his eyes. "Very well." He looked at his son. "And you, Legolas?"

"Nay," he replied, "Not this time."

The awkward air laid heavily around them at Legolas's blatant rejection of his father, for the young ellon loved a good competition.

"Well, gentlemen – and ladies," Gandalf said, clearing his throat and stepping forward, "We have things we need to discuss. Very serious matters that affect us all—"

"Are the dwarves alive and well?" Violet asked, sitting in one of the remaining chairs in the tent.

"Well, they're alive," Gandalf answered, "Most of them are well. We need to find the black arrow. Someone in Lake-town must have it, though I am not sure who. Then... we need to find a way to communicate with the dwarves inside the Mountain. We can't wake Smaug up without their help and we cannot get their help because Thorin is deep into dragon sickness. Smaug has brooded over that gold for far too long. With every day that passes, he loses his humanity more and more. His nephews will not be able to satiate him much longer. He will wake the dragon on his own if we do not prepare accordingly."

Everything was silent as the group of elves digested the information told to them, but there was nothing for Violet to digest. She had planned for this, but even though she was confident in her air-tight magical contract, there were still so many factors at play.

It was Thranduil who had the first reaction, slamming his fist on the table and sloshing wine out of his cup. "We are speaking to Thorin, even if I have to drag him kicking and screaming from that blasted place myself!"

He muttered under his breath, rubbing his hand over his face, while the rest of the room looked absolutely scandalized. The tips of Legolas's ears were red, and he was distinctly avoiding looking in his father's direction.

"Do I want to know?" she asked Gandalf.

He shook his head quietly. Thranduil moved to put his armor on once more, evidently set on his earlier words. Quickly passing Flufflepuff to Gandalf, much to the animal's displeasure, she moved to the Elven-king, grabbing his arm and stopping his movements.

Staying at a respectable distance, she said, "You cannot do this, Thranduil. You will wage war with the dwarves!"

"They have already waged war with me!" he hissed, turning to face her, "In case you have forgotten, there is a large orc army heading right for us, there is a deadly dragon residing behind us with only stone to separate us, and there is a dwarf army of two thousand also heading this way. Sixteen thousand elves alone cannot handle all of that at once! Yet, I cannot turn my army around even if everyone else does because I have signed that contract. I have no desire to lose what matters the most to me, nor do I want to be the one responsible for the murder of thousands of elves!"

"But you won't be," Violet tried, but Thranduil was in full rampage mode, beginning to clip the chest piece of his armor shut. She turned to look for help, but the elves' eerily quiet steps had escaped her notice. They were gone, Gandalf and Flufflepuff with them and the cloth doors remained shut.

"Ah, then my only option is having my kin slaughtered," he seethed.

"No, it's not—"

"Well, explain to me the other options—"

She grabbed his chin, forcing him to look at her. "Thranduil Oropherion, would you just listen to me?!"

The tension in his body left slightly, and he removed her hand from his face, cradling it between them. "I'm listening."

"I am a talented witch," she said, "And I know what I'm doing."

"I know you are—"

"Then, why did I word that contract in the way that I did?"

He huffed. "To ensure the loyalty of Oakenshield and myself."

"Exactly. And Thorin cares more about his nephews than anything in this world. He loves them more than he loves Erebor, more than he loves that gold. He will lose their loyalty, and hopefully, they can convince Dain's army to see reason. Dwarves may have impeccable loyalty, but Sauron taking the Mountain is in their worst interest. Best case scenario, Thorin will break out of the sickness, and the dwarves will all be united once more."

He sighed, and his next actions took her by surprise. He dropped her hand, brought his own to her cheeks, and leaned forward. Her eyes fluttered shut and just when she could feel his breath on her lips, he moved and kissed her forehead instead. She cupped his wrists, gripping tightly to them.

Thranduil pulled away, just enough to whisper, "You are an amazing woman. I should have known better than to despair."

Even with her confidence in her own magical work, she was nervous. What if something went wrong? Their fate rested in her abilities and in the hands of a dwarf who – according to Gandalf – was less reasonable than Thorin.

Oh, we may be so screwed.

-

"We need to plan for Smaug's awakening, even if we don't have communications with the Mountain now," Gandalf said, everyone now having reconvened and with Violet having explained how the contract works. Gandalf, ever the optimist, had immediate confidence in her, now taken to assuming they would have communications inside the Mountain soon. "As I stated earlier, we need to find the black arrow."

"No need," Thranduil said, resting against the left arm of his chair, "I know who has it."

"Care to share with the rest of the class?" Violet asked, gesturing to herself, Authanar, Legolas, Luthadis, Haldir, and Gandalf. Flufflepuff squeaked in indignation at being left out from his spot on the table, even though he had been sleeping only moments earlier. "Your star student would also like to know."

"His name is Bard, also known as Bard the Bowman. He mans the boat that brings my wine barrels to and fro. Widowed when his youngest daughter was born, he's raised his three children alone since. When I found out Girion's wife escaped from Dale, it was not difficult to locate her. I kept a close eye on her and her son, for my plans were always to restore Dale one day. She died when their son was grown for a human, though I could not tell you the age.

"The son and his wife had five children, though only one made it to maturity. He died when their youngest child was still in adolescence. His son, the only one who made it to adulthood, had a son of his own at twenty-five. He was his only child, and he survived until he was fully grown. This son had a daughter relatively young for humans, at nineteen years old. This was his only child because his wife died when their daughter was young. He loved her greatly and chose not to remarry.

"Now, his daughter struggled to conceive, as humans do sometimes, but did carry two pregnancies to term. She died in childbirth with her youngest -- a daughter -- who decided to remain childfree by choice. Her older brother, however, had twins at thirty-four years old: a son and a daughter. The son, the younger twin, died in an orc attack while on a solo hunting trip at eighteen.

"However, the daughter -- the older twin and last remaining descendant of Girion at the time -- gave birth to a son at twenty-seven years old, who she named Bard, after her late younger brother. She died sometime in the last two years, though I want to believe it was within the last year. Now, Bard and his three children -- each of whom are still quite young, I believe -- are the only remaining descendants of the last lord of Dale."

"Huh," Violet said, "Just a quick little inquiry. Do they know you've been watching their family for almost two-hundred years with a decently close eye?"

"No. Why would they?" Thranduil asked, raising a brow and looking genuinely confused.

"Interesting," the witch stated, side-eyeing him slightly, "Not at all terrifying."

Thranduil looked at her for a moment, opening his mouth. He looked that way for a few seconds, before evidently deciding entertaining it was not worth it as he shook his head and continued, "If anybody has the black arrow, it will be Bard."

"Then, tomorrow, the three of us will pay a visit to this Bard the Bowman," Gandalf said, looking satisfied at the answers he received, "In the meantime, I will continue to try to make contact with anybody inside Erebor."

"Is that why you have been vying to be rid of the nasty town Master?" Authanar asked Thranduil, "Correction, is that why you have been waiting to be rid of every town Master since Dale was destroyed?"

"My reasons for being rid of this Master are multiple. Aside from wanting Dale back for economic reasons, my reasons generally begin and end with him being slimy and dreadful. As for the rest of the Masters, yes, 'twas my only reason to be rid of them. You all are not the only ones who can listen to the wise and prophecies of what is to pass." Thranduil brought his cup up, taking a deep gulp of his wine. "Besides, Erland vacated Lake-town the night before we left, his lap dog in tow. They were seen heading south, most likely trying to go towards Rohan or Gondor. My condolences to whomever has the displeasure of dealing with them next."

He lifted his glass into the air as if he was giving a toast, clinking it lightly on Flufflepuff's paw when he held it as high as he could.

"And you did not think to say this before now?" Gandalf questioned, palms flat against the table as he leaned into it, "You have entirely changed the politics of the north in your favor, but this was not urgent news to you?"

"Much the same way your plan with Smaug has been these last number of months," Thranduil replied, brow raised, "Say, what is your plan besides Bard and the black arrow? I distinctly remember you mentioning the wizards, Mithrandir."

Gandalf gave a smile that spoke volumes of what he could sense, though Violet wasn't sure how many people in the room knew Gandalf's true nature. Thranduil did. All the elven-lords and ladies did. She did, given her own wizarding nature and Hogwarts education. Given Legolas's time spent on earth, she was sure he knew, but definitely wasn't certain. Elves were curious beings, always looking to learn something new, but were wise enough to discern when they didn't need all the answers. Thranduil was too, but often his need for answers overwhelmed the thoughts that told him he didn't need to know.

"I plan to have myself and the other wizards available to hold him still with magic. If we're lucky—"

"If?!" Thranduil hissed, leaning forward.

"I may know things, Thranduil Oropherion, but I am not omnipotent," Gandalf stated sternly, pointing his finger at the ellon. Luthadis gave a small laugh from her seat across the tent. "Now, as I was saying, we will hold him in place magically. If we're lucky, and strong enough, then we can incapacitate him totally – take away his fire-breathing abilities. There are many spells earthen wizards have at their disposal."

"There's a conjunctivitis curse," Violet said, "Dragons are particularly susceptible to it; at least, in my world they are. It swells their eyes shut, but the caster needs to have excellent aim to hit a flying dragon on the eye, which is why I'll fire that spell myself. All of my family has exceptional aim, but mine is still the best."

"It should hold Smaug back just long enough for, and here is where the plan kind of needs a little work, for someone to shoot the arrow. Stories say that Girion loosened a scale under Smaug's left wing, and there is always some truth to stories. Somewhere on that dragon, left wing or not, is a loose scale. What we need to do is find a way to make contact with Bilbo, at the least."

"Why the hobbit?" Haldir spoke up, arms crossed, "It cannot be too hard to wake a dragon. Why risk a hobbit's life?"

"Lady Galadriel has asked me that before. I told her that it's the small things in life. Acts of kindness done by the ordinary people of the world keep the darkness at bay, and Bilbo has so much kindness in him to share." He smiled. "However, he also has a silver tongue; I knew what I was doing when I asked him to come along under the guise of being a burglar. Smaug is arrogant; he will fall for Bilbo's tricks."

"He was able to trick those trolls until the sun rose," Violet commented, "It was quite the spectacle. Of course, this was after Fili and Kili convinced him to attempt to steal the ponies back from the trolls, which was the whole reason they were caught in the first place. You know—"

"V, now may not be the best time for a textbook tangent," Thranduil said, patting her hand, "Unless that textbook tangent is on strategies that we don't need the dwarves for."

She smiled sheepishly, a blush creeping on her face. "That I can do. Give me a moment though, I need my bag."

"Shall I grab it for you, Lady Violet?" Haldir asked, gearing up to leave. She waved him off.

"Thank you, Haldir, but no need." Bringing her wand out, accio was cast and she waited for a moment. "Duck left!"

The ellon did just in time for her bag to come speeding by his right side. She caught it from the air, rummaging around and cringing at the sound of metal falling.

"By the Valar, what do you have in there? Your bed? My throne?" Thranduil asked, smirking at her.

"Nay," Luthadis spoke up, "Just your study desk. Very sturdy, you see. Good for the terrain."

"Aye, your throne would just fall straight over out here," Authanar remarked, joining his daughter. Legolas looked between them all, lips twitching ever so slightly.

"Focus, children," Violet teased, pulling the papers from her bag. Nine pages front and back of everything she knew about Sauron, the parallels of him and Riddle, the orcs, Azog, Bolg, strategies, and back-up strategies in case the first strategies became unusable. "Now, I think our original strategies can still work if we just tweak them a bit. Since the wizards can no longer be in Erebor the entire time, I have an idea." She pointed at Thranduil. "One that you won't like, but we have no choice so just hear me out.

"Stick myself and the wizards in the middle of the battlefield. Not for the entire time, but just long enough for the orcs to get close enough. One of us can hold a shield that arrows won't penetrate, while the rest of us can fire off particularly nasty spells and thin out their ranks. Simultaneously, archers can be placed in the three locations that Thranduil suggested during a meeting in Mirkwood."

"About that," Legolas interrupted, "I know you wished to put the archers on the outskirts of Dale, adar, but I think it best that we send someone into Dale. Have them inspect it and see if enough buildings are sturdy. If they are, move the last company of archers into the buildings and have them fire from there."

Thranduil nodded with a proud smile. "Alright. I like that plan." He looked around the room. "Any objections?"

No one gave one.

"Brilliant," Violet said, "Legolas and Haldir, can you check the buildings?" They nodded. "Brilliant. Ci athae." (Thank you.)

"I 'ell nin," They replied simultaneously. (You're welcome.)

"Now, back to what I was saying. Since we are currently down all two-thousand and thirteen dwarves, I want the elves on the eastern ridge while the orcs are arriving. Disguise yourselves in the area until scouts give you the signal, then join. You lot all have the seemingly gliding-on-air abilities, so you'll be able to move to the field with minimal issues and quickly when he does."

"I am in agreement," Authanar stated, "It will allow us to have an edge on them, one that we did not already possess."

"Is there anyone who disagrees?" she asked. There was no reply. "Alright. Then, meeting adjourned."

-

Who would've ever guessed that even knowing they had the upper hand on Thorin – Thranduil's pride could still be prodded enough to bring an army straight to the doors of Erebor?

Oh, that's right! Anyone who knows Thranduil would.

Violet's plan to avoid conflict between elves and dwarves had gone to hell in a handcart. Not even two hours later, just as dusk was beginning to settle in and the chill of the northern air had turned even colder, Thorin had plucked at Thranduil's pride in a way only he could.

Here Violet sat on Belegmorroch, barely containing her irritation with the dwarf and ellon in question. Thranduil was beside her on Bathor, with Gandalf beside him on his own horse. Flufflepuff had been left behind in her tent this time, having no reason to be in the middle of this madness.

Tauriel's company was the one that stood behind them, the elleth standing to the side, ready to give commands at a moment's notice. Secretly, Violet wondered if she would be able to. Anyone would falter and hesitate if their love was the one on the other end of the arrows.

They finished marching, stopping below the balcony that the Company stood on. Shifting her eyes between the two men, she waited to see which one would make the first move. If their soon-to-be yelling didn't wake Smaug, surely the mounds of testosterone floating through the air would.

Thorin looked unrecognizable in his robes made of the finest materials one could find in the remnants of Erebor. A crown – one she assumed belonged to his grandfather – sat on his brow. Thorin Oakenshield was nowhere to be found; this was Thorin II, King Under the Mountain. And it was he who made the first move, bringing a bow up and firing a shot that landed at Bathor's feet. Thranduil looked unbothered, looking at her with amusement written all over his face, as if he was asking if Thorin was serious.

Violet pursed her lips, narrowing them slightly at the ellon. She and Balin must have been mirror images at that moment, but it did nothing to deter either of them. One of their prides would have to win whatever contest they had come up with in their heads.

"I'll put the next one between your eyes," Thorin threatened. Thranduil no longer looked amused, turning murderous in the blink of an eye. But before he could even make his next move, Violet had fired a spell, blasting the stone balcony away from in front of Thorin.

"Try it, and I'll put the next one of those between your eyes," Violet said, clenching her jaw and keeping her wand trained on Thorin. No one threatened her ellon like that.

"Violet Potter," he said darkly with a sinister grin, bringing his bow down, "I thought you said your relationship would not get in the way of things."

Balin's mouth dropped, turning to Thorin with his hands on his hips. Bombur acted similarly, also looking at the dwarf king in disbelief. However, dwarves truly were loyal creatures, for no one else looked phased at the dwarf king's threat.

"And I thought you agreed you two were allies, so I guess we're both disappointed, Thorin."

"You will address me properly," he seethed down at her.

"I'll address you with respect when you re-earn that respect, Thorin," she said, emphasizing the lack of titles and lowering her wand.

"I want you all to leave," he said, "You have no business being at the gates of my Mountain, especially armed."

"It is my business and will be my business until Sauron is out of Dol Guldur and his army decimated. So, we will stay down here, waiting for their arrival, while you hide away in that Mountain. I just hope you're prepared to face the consequences of breaking a magical contract that you signed in full control of yourself."

The dwarf stayed silent, and once more, Violet felt like she was looking at Thorin Oakenshield, who was kind, fair, and just. However, it didn't take long for his mind to lose the battle against itself, and he brought his bow up again, pointing it directly at her. She froze, tightening her hands around the reigns of her horse and her wand, unsure if threatening it again would cause him to release the arrow that she knew would have a deadly aim.

She heard the company of elves behind her load their bow in sync, and when she glanced back at them, each were ready to fire on Thranduil's command. She looked at him next, seeing anger so prevalent that his face was beginning to go red. His right hand was raised, and his left was held out towards her, like he was ready to push her out of the way.

"Thorin," Gandalf called up to him with heavy panic, "I must implore you to think rationally here. You cannot handle that dragon by yourself!"

"Perhaps not, wizard," he called back, eyes never straying from Violet, "But once I have the Arkenstone in hand, it will not matter. The dwarves will handle Smaug."

Violet bit her tongue enough to cause pain, keeping the words at bay.

The same dwarves who did not agree to join you on your quest in the first place – all six other kingdoms?

"Save me from your pride, dwarf king," Gandalf yelled, "That precise thinking is what will get you killed, and then what will this quest be for? What will this alliance be for? All for naught."

Thranduil shook his head. "I have had enough of this. Oakenshield! Lower your bow before I ensure your death here and now."

Thorin didn't listen, but Fili heeded Thranduil's threat, pushing his uncle's bow down harshly.

"Mithrandir always appears where he is needed most, and he appeared before us and Violet. Send word when you are speaking sense again, and we shall meet once more," Thranduil said. The Elven-king steered his elk away without another word, leading his troops back towards the eastern ridge. The elves snapped to attention as he did, waiting for the command from Tauriel to begin marching. She gave it, and away they went, Gandalf following behind and bringing up the rear of the company.

Violet turned her own horse around and marching with them as well, but stopped near Tauriel, who hadn't moved since she gave the command to march. She watched between the elleth and the balcony, where she and Kili were watching each other rather intently.

The witch gave a small smile. "Tauriel?"

The elleth looked towards her. "Aye, Lady Violet?"

Perhaps they would never be close, but the one area they could relate to each other in was love. Each was in a relationship that had a stigma attached to it, and each one continued to pursue that relationship, consequences be damned.

"Want a ride back to camp?" she offered, looking between the elleth and dwarf once more. When her eyes met Tauriel's once more, Violet could see the tears in her eyes.

"Please," the elleth accepted, "Thank you."

Taking the hand that Violet offered, she hoisted herself onto the back of Belegmorroch, holding her bow off to one side and resting her remaining hand on her thigh. The ride to camp wasn't a particularly long one, but it was much better than having to hike up the eastern ridge, which was just steep enough to make you want to just roll back down to the bottom halfway through and stay there.

When they made it back to camp, it was Tauriel who offered the hand this time. Violet accepted, dismounting from the horse with much more grace than she expected. Clearly, her time around elves helped in more ways than one.

The two women smiled at each other. Tauriel inclined her head to Violet in thanks, before marching off to continue her duties. Despite being nothing more than acquaintances, Violet truly hoped the elleth was able to spend a long and healthy life with Kili. Perhaps they could travel all over Middle-Earth if that was something they wanted. Maybe they just wanted to live in Mirkwood or Erebor. She wasn't sure which option the couple would choose, nor was it her business. All she wished was happiness for them, and she would make sure they got it.

Thranduil was there waiting after Tauriel left her side. He passed the reigns of Bathor to Feren, moving quickly to her side and checking over for injuries, despite being next to her the whole time. "Are you alright?"

She nodded. "I'm perfectly fine. I promise."

He hesitated for a moment, before accepting her answer as true, despite knowing it wasn't. A part of her felt disappointed he didn't push more, but then he pulled her into a hug and her eyes caught Legolas's over his shoulder. He gave her a strained smile, and he pointed at her before flashing a thumbs up. She nodded as best she could with Thranduil's shoulder in the way, repeating the gesture when made pointed towards his father as well. He nodded, giving them another once over before leaving.

Violet pulled back from Thranduil, running her hand along his cheek before pulling away entirely. "No more falling for Thorin's tricks, alright?"

"No more," he agreed, "I'm sorry."

"There is no need for apologies," she said with a smile, "That doesn't mean I'm not seriously miffed about it."

"I know," he replied, "I could practically feel your irritation in my very soul."

She hummed, turning and walking from him with a smile that he didn't see.

Progress.

Peeking back over her shoulder, he was still there watching her walk away. Her smile widened and she continued on her way. It was past dinner time, but she wasn't hungry. All she wanted to do was take a bath, journal, and go to sleep.

And Valar help anyone who tried to stop her.

She walked into her tent, tying the doors shut behind her. Flufflepuff was just where she left him, except now he was wide awake and using her cot as a trampoline. She stopped him just long enough to press a kiss to his fur in greeting, backing quickly away as those little paws went searching for snot.

"We've been over this before," she scolded. He huffed, going back to jumping. Giggling lightly, she brought out the small metal tub from her bag. She transfigured it into a large enough tub, before filling it and heating the water with magic. She heated the room with a magically created fire in the middle of the tent.

She undressed, sinking down into the tub with a sigh. There was nothing like a hot bath, especially in the midst of such stress.

Granted, that stress doesn't usually include the threat of major injury and/or death, but it didn't matter. Baths had some magical special quality in them to turn people into a brand-new version of themselves.

This was quite literally true for her bath, which had magically enhanced lavender (it's honestly just lavender with its calming qualities amplified) and magically manipulated bubbles that would never go down until she was ready.

It was so relaxing that she nearly fell asleep. The only thing keeping her awake was the fact that it sounded like someone was knocking at the door. Except... tents didn't have doors, so whatever she was hearing wasn't from outside.

She hardly moved from her spot in the bath, waiting for the next sound to come about. When another didn't happen for the next five minutes, she washed her hair and body quickly. No one wants to get caught in the bath when something strange is going on. She pulled a sweater over her head, putting her sweatpants on afterward. She kept her wand close, keeping Flufflepuff closer as they sat together on the cot.

She looked around, relaxing slightly when nothing happened. She brought her journal over to her, writing about anything and everything that came to mind.

But then the knocking started again.

And suddenly she felt really tired.

And she tried to fight the sleep, she really did.

She knew she needed the tea. She knew she did, but she could do nothing as her eyes slipped closed from pure exhaustion, drifting off into sleep.

It wasn't enough.

The mind was a cruel beast to beat.

The knocking was back, and it was louder than earlier. Wherever her mind had shipped her off to, it was dark and cold with an ominous feeling surrounding it. The sound of knocking grew louder and louder until it was all she could hear. It surrounded her, and she covered her ears with her hands pressed tight against her head. Kneeling down, she tried tucking her head in between her knees.

Nothing was working.

The knocking was getting louder and louder still until there was a spotlight shining on a door in front of her. She looked around slowly, waiting for whatever her mind had conjured up to pop out.

Walking forward with her wand out, she slowly twisted the knob, going through the door. When she was through, it disappeared almost instantly.

She was back in the Department of Mysteries. She could see her younger self and her brother in the middle from the dark corner she stood in, the rest of her friends behind them. All of them watching the Veil, but younger Violet seemed to be more mesmerized than them all. Older Violet shared that same fascination, though it was tattered with fear.

"No," she whispered, sinking further back into her corner, "No. Please, please, no. I can't do this for a third time."

Any minute now, Sirius would pop up. Any minute, the rest of the Order would show up. And then, it wouldn't be long before she had to watch her godfather die for the third time.

"I hear them too," Luna said. Older Violet held her hands over her ears, staring at the Veil that seemed to get brighter by the minute. She watched as her younger self walked forward, and began to follow, but stopped and fell back to her corner as a younger Harry grabbed the younger Violet's arm.

"Violet, stop," Harry said, "We don't know what that is."

"It calls to me," younger Violet said.

"It calls to me too," older Violet said, coming out of her corner. Nobody turned around, and just like every other time, it was like she was watching her memories from a pensieve.

"Then hang up," Harry replied. Older Violet made it to the middle, nearly making it in the Veil when the first sounds of Death Eaters came. "Get behind me."

Violet turned around, feeling the same yank on the arm that Ron was giving to her younger self. She watched as the younger version of her held her wand up, and together they watched as black smoke flew around them, knocking each of them down one by one.

At the end, it was only her, her younger self, and Harry that remained in the middle. Fear chilled her bones, even though she knew the Death Eaters couldn't hurt her. With this fact in mind, she stood her ground, knowing it was time to face her trauma head on. She had avoided it for eleven years, and just as Thranduil had said, they had to heal. Separately, but still side by side. She would wake up soon, having started the healing process. And he would be right beside her, frolicking through the meadows of his dream lands.

Luna, Hermione, Ron, Neville, and Ginny had all been grabbed by the Death Eaters, wands positioned at their throats. Violet heard a laugh, and Lucius Malfoy stepped up.

"Did you actually believe - or were you truly naive enough to think that children stood a chance against us?"

He looked at each Violet and Harry, and older Violet withheld a gasp when he seemed to look right at her. He smirked in her direction, looking back at herself and her brother.

"What?" young Violet asked with a tinge of sass, "Old hags who, up until now, were struggling to win against these children?"

The Malfoy man stalked forward, intent on killing her no doubt, but both younger Violet and older Violet shoved their wands toward him. He looked at younger Violet, stopping, and still seemed to give a glance in the older Violet's direction. Older Violet tightened her resolve, shoving her wand closer in his direction.

She heard the cackle of Bellatrix Lestrange, looking over at her while she laughed in the direction of younger Violet. The psychotic witch definitely looked in the older Violet's direction, looking up and down. She looked around, but none of the younger versions seemed to even notice she was there.

What kind of sick trick was her mind playing on her?

Last time, this was around the time she heard Gandalf's voice, but there was no call this time. No one to save her. She would have to save herself.

"Give me the prophecies," Lucius said, smirking at them both and holding his hand out, "...or watch your friends die."

Older Violet scoffed. "Wanker."

"Shut up," he hissed, turning his wand on her. Her younger self and younger Harry looked in her direction, but it was clear they saw right through her. They turned back around as calls from Neville were heard, telling him not to do it. But... Harry was Harry, and he would do anything to protect his friends. It was who he was.

Just like last time, Lucius was distracted by Harry's prophecy. He held it to the light of the room, watching the shimmering inside of it. In fact, he was so entranced, that neither he nor any other Death Eaters noticed the flash of light that soon became Sirius Black.

The Malfoy man did end up turning around, but Sirius was already there with a serious look. "Get away from my godchildren."

Lucius went down with the first punch, rolling down the hill. Older Violet gave a snort, smiling as she looked back at her godfather, and he was already looking at her.

"I'm so proud of you, Violet," he whispered, so faintly that she was sure no one else in the room heard, but it was so clear in her ears.

"You can see me?" she asked, pointing to herself.

Sirius's face softened, lips transforming into a somber smile. "I can always see you." He pointed to where his heart was. "Because I'm always right here."

Violet could hear the calls of Gandalf now, beckoning her to wake up, but she couldn't. She had just spoken to her godfather for the first time in thirteen years. How could she leave now?

Tonks distracted the pair from their moment, grabbing younger Violet by the arm. Apparently in their moment, she missed the Order showing up, and it was like Sirius couldn't see her anymore. He was in full focus now that Moody, Shacklebolt, and Remus appeared, spells flying everywhere.

A burst of green light shot by her body, hardly missing her and she gripped her wand tighter, holding it in front of her. A Death Eater was watching her, smirking as he shot another spell her way.

Great, she thought, Not only do I have to relive it by seeing it, I also have to relive it by being an actual participant.

Older Violet blocked that spell, shooting her own back at the wizard, knocking him backwards with ease. She watched as her younger self blocked spell after spell too, moving as quickly as possible to Harry's side. Older Violet moved there as well. If she had to participate, the least she could do was protect herself, her brother, and Sirius.

On her way to their sides, Sirius engaged in a duel with Lucius. He held his own quite easily and older Violet turned around, looking quickly for Bellatrix before she could hit him with the Killing Curse.

But she was too late. Green shot out the tip of Bellatrix's wand, and in a last act of desperation, Violet tried to block it in mid-air. When her spell went straight through Bellatrix's, knocking one of the Death Eaters back so hard that she heard his spine crack loud in her ears, she knew she couldn't change the past, even in her nightmares.

The Killing Curse hit Sirius square into the chest, his smile slowly fading as he stumbled backwards and hitting the Veil, where he would disappear forever. Violet watched her younger self lose all faith in humanity, screaming and crying in anguish, but it didn't last long.

Everyone faded away once Sirius went into the Veil, until she was the only one left. Violet turned around, gripping her wand tightly, looking for the next perpetrator. When she made it back around to the veil, out stepped two faces -- one extremely familiar and one that she had only ever seen in portraits around Thranduil's Halls. One tall and red-headed, lean, but his face was sunken in. Not destroyed, but just sunken in enough to let you know that he died under the weight of something terrible. The woman was blonde, with hair that reached her hips, and bright pink scar that went all the way around her neck.

"This isn't possible," Violet whispered to herself, looking around again, "Nobody can come out of the veil."

"Ah, but this is all happening in your head, Violet," Queen Esselyth said, stepping closer to the witch.

"But doesn't that mean this isn't real?" she asked, looking between the two faces and stepping backwards, keeping her wand steady in front of her.

"Just because something is happening in your head, doesn't mean it's not real, darling," Fred said, stepping closer with a blinding smile. The witch breathed out, running forward and slinging her arms around her first love. Sobs exited her body as she clutched him tightly.

"I'm sorry," she said, still sobbing, "I'm so sorry. I couldn't save you. I heard the explosion, but I had absolutely no clue it was you. I'm so sorry."

He pulled back, holding her by the shoulders. "It wasn't your fault, and it's time you stop blaming yourself."

Violet's sobs slowed down with time, and she turned to the second person in the room. "I've only seen your portrait throughout Thranduil's Halls. I... I cannot say how much of an honour it is to meet you, Queen Esselyth."

The elleth shook her head, a soft smile on her face. "I am a queen no longer, Lady Violet. My crown is yours now, and Thranduil could not have chosen better."

"Your crown will always be yours, my lady," she said, eyes softening.

"Call me Esselyth."

"Only if you call me Violet."

Fred clasped his hands in front of him, leaning forward. "As touching as this is, ladies, I do believe we have company."

Violet turned around, and there was Thranduil with a pale face as wide eyes as he stared at his late wife.

"By the Valar..." he said.

"Hello, Thranduil," Esselyth said in a light tone.

"This is not real," Thranduil whispered, stepping closer with hesitant steps. He didn't stop until he was in front of Esselyth and reached a hand forward. When his hand touched her shoulder and didn't go straight through, he stepped back as though he was bitten, clutching his hand to his chest.

"Of course it's real," Fred said again, stepping forward with his hand out. Thranduil looked over at him, and Violet watched as the recognition bloomed in his eyes. "Fred Weasley, mate. Nice to meet you."

Thranduil hesitantly reached out his hand, shaking the dead man's. "Thranduil." The Elven-king looked over at Violet, who was watching the situation with pure awe now that the shock had worn off. When she saw him watching her, she allowed her eyes to rest on him as well. He walked closer, grabbing her hands and holding them between them, rubbing his thumbs over them. "Are you okay?"

"Yes. No. Maybe?" she said, filtering through the different emotions, before finally settling on her answer. "I'm okay right now."

He narrowed his eyes. "You forgot to drink the tea, didn't you?"

"Not purposefully," she denied, "I've heard knocking in my head since we left Mirkwood. Thought I was just going mad from stress and exhaustion." She gestured behind him, to their deceased lovers. "Evidently, I wasn't."

Thranduil looked over his shoulder and stopped himself from pulling away at the last moment. Violet tugged his hand, and after one look from her that clearly told him to go, he walked over to Esselyth, pulling her into a hug. And, a few seconds into that hug, a new voice appeared.

"What is going on?" Thranduil immediately pulled away at the sound of his son, but Legolas's eyes were focused solely on the woman beside him. Violet watched as his eyes widened and he breathed out, "Nana?"

Esselyth walked forward, speed increasing with each step, and Legolas met her before she even made it halfway to him. He sobbed into her shoulder, and Violet watched as Thranduil painstakingly held himself back, as if he would be intruding.

"My beautiful boy," she whispered, pulling back to cup his cheeks, "You haven't aged a day and yet you still seem so much older."

"How?" he choked out, "How are you here?"

"Do not ask questions you do not truly want the answers to, darling," she replied to him, "Just enjoy it while it lasts."

"But I want it to last forever," he whimpered, reaching his hands up to hold hers on his face. Violet heard Thranduil choke back a sob of his own and went over to where he and Fred both stood, sliding her fingers through his own and holding his bicep with the other. His hand tightened against hers painfully, but she refused to let go in his time of need.

Esselyth smiled softly. "It cannot be, my son."

"Why?"

"I am at peace, both spirit and body. Peace that I could not have in Arda, but 'tis okay. The Halls of Mandos are a healing balm for me, one that I could not have anywhere else."

Like he was an elfling again, Legolas said, "But that's not fair!"

"Life is not fair, but life is still full of so much goodness," she said, turning her head to look back at Thranduil, Violet, and Fred, "I need you to listen to me because we do not have much time left. Can you do that?"

Still holding her hands against his face, Legolas slowly nodded.

"I was the one who broke the marriage bond between your father and me. I begged Mandos for months to take it away. I could not bear to feel his anguish, nor could he bear to save mine. I had to do this, but that does not mean I relish being away from you."

"I miss you too," he said, not removing his eyes from his mother. Violet felt Thranduil's hand go even tighter against her own, tightening her arm around his bicep in response. The witch looked back at Fred, who was already looking at her, and smiled. Keeping that smile, she shook her head as he winked at her, turning back to look at mother and son once more.

"But you cannot continue on this way. Grieve. Grieve for me. Grieve for what you thought you would have. 'Tis okay. But... don't forget to love your father. Don't forget to love her. And most importantly, let him love her."

Legolas opened his mouth, eyes full of pain as he struggled to find the words. "I... I want to, but I do not know how."

"You can start by knowing just how happy I am for them both," Esselyth said, removing her hands from his cheeks and looking back to the trio. "I want your father to be happy, and Violet makes him that."

Legolas followed her line of vision, watching Violet and his father. The witch watched as a new realization seemed to dawn on his face, and hope began to blossom in her chest.

Authanar's words rang in her head, telling them to grow together. Maybe this was how they did it.

"Fred," Legolas said, as if he just saw him, "You are here too."

"Hey, mate. Long time no see. Your mum is telling the truth you know," Fred said with a grin, stepping to Esselyth's side.

Violet's curiosity couldn't be held back anymore. "How did you two find each other?"

"The Halls of Mandos may be large, but everybody knows everybody. Finwe often sits by the fountain, Miriel by his side." Esselyth then rolled her eyes. "Fred likes to pull pranks on them."

Violet laughed. "That sounds like Fred."

"Eventually, I started to try to interfere. I thought that the two elves deserved some peace after everything, but Fred is unfortunately somehow always one step ahead."

"Can't beat the master," Fred piped up, smirking proudly.

"Anyways," Esselyth interrupted, "Our purpose here was to gift you both our blessings, even though you don't need them. And my beautiful Legolas, if you allow them into your heart again, separately and together, you will never regret it."

Legolas nodded slowly, glancing quickly in the direction of his father and Violet, but said nothing.

"Be happy," Fred said, "For us and for yourselves. Be happy, Violet. I am at peace."

Violet smiled a watery smile, nodding and leaning her head onto Thranduil's shoulder, not caring that her height made her a little too tall to do so comfortably.

"Be happy, Thranduil," Esselyth said, smiling at him, "You be happy too, Legolas, for you never know what the future holds."

"Gi melin, nana," he said to her, hugging his mother again. Thranduil turned his head and pressed a kiss to the top of Violet's, letting his lips rest there for a moment before he turned back to the front.

"Ge melin, ioneg," she replied, hugging him tight to her. Violet watched Esselyth walk up to them, and the witch stepped away so the two could hug one final time. She allowed herself the same with Fred, hugging him tight.

"I'm proud of you," he whispered, pulling back. She could see his smile. "Queen of an elven kingdom in a whole other dimension? Why doesn't that surprise me? You were always destined for greatness."

"That's what you always told me," she replied with a smile of her own, giving him one last hug. "You're always with us, right?"

"I never leave." He pulled away for the final time, glancing behind her. "And neither does Esselyth."

Violet turned around, seeing the elleth waiting. She let go of Fred, walking closer to Esselyth, and they pulled each other into a hug at the same time.

"Take care of him for me," Violet whispered with tears in her eyes once more.

Esselyth had tears of her own threatening to run down her cheeks. She whispered back, "Only if you do the same for me. Both of them."

They pulled back, holding onto each other's hands in between them. Nothing more was said between them, but there was a clear thank you that rang throughout the room, bouncing between the two women. They left each other, with Violet going over to Thranduil, standing between him and Legolas, who at some point had gravitated towards his father. She felt hands clutch both of her own, and they all gripped onto each other tightly.

Esselyth and Fred began walking back towards the Veil, stopping for a moment.

"Promise us you shall be happy?" the elleth asked.

"If you don't, we'll both reembody and come to kill you ourselves," Fred said, elbowing Esselyth in the side. She rolled her eyes, looking at Violet.

"Out of the two of us, you have the easier task here. I have to deal with him for all eternity."

The two bickered back and forth as they walked the rest of the way to the Veil. Fred went through, his voice drowning out. Esselyth stepped up as well, but before she went through, she looked back at the trio, smiling at them once last time. Turning back to the front, the elleth stepped through the Veil, disappearing for the last time.

The trio looked at each other, staying silent until Legolas spoke, "Mithrandir told me the way out would be located in The Brain Room."

Violet nodded. "Makes sense, considering we're in my brain right now. It's uh, it's actually right through that door." The two ellons followed behind her silently, all still holding onto each other's hands. "This room is dedicated to thought, the study of it, and any related concepts."

Father and son said nothing, and when she turned around, they were both staring at the tank in the middle of the room, unsurprisingly. It was huge, filled with green liquid, and many stark white brains were floating through it.

"I'm not sure it would do any damage in dream land, but please don't touch it. We're a long way away from Madam Pomfrey, and I'm not sure she would even exist in my brain."

They nodded silently, and she knew that they were just as exhausted as she was. Despite still sleeping, she wanted to curl up in a corner somewhere and sleep. Sleep in a nightmare turned dream, while still sleeping in the real world.

She looked around, looking for something that would be a way to go back to the living world. When she spotted a manky old boot in the corner of the room, she choked a laugh, pulling away from someone's hand to cover her mouth.

"I found our ride," she said, pulling away from the other's hand to point it out, "When I was fourteen, we went to the Quidditch World Cup. We got there by a portkey, and that portkey was a manky old boot. That exact one actually."

It seemed the two ellons were still struggling to string together words because they both gave one-word answers.

"Why?"

"How?"

"It's an easier mode of transportation that has less limits than apparition. I don't use it much, not a big fan of the walking on air or fall flat on your face portion of the travel. You can put the charm on practically anything and that item, so long as it's inanimate, will turn into a portkey. It's highly illegal to make one without special permission from the Ministry, but how will they police a portkey that's technically inside my brain? Come on," she said, reaching to grab their hands again, "Some portkeys have one window to leave. Grab on and don't let go."

She knelt down, waiting for them to kneel too. Once they did, each grabbed onto a portion of the boot. She could feel the jerk of the portkey behind her navel, feeling it pull and spin her out of the Department of Mysteries with Thranduil and Legolas.

All three woke with a gasp. Violet shot up in bed, both ellons' hands falling from where they were placed near her heart. They both fell on their bums and each of the trio looked between each other, trying to make sense and decipher what just happened. She felt nauseous and tried to catch her breath, but it wasn't working well.

And they weren't alone. Harry rushed over, sitting next to his sister and wrapping his arm around her. Flufflepuff climbed quickly to his mother, rushing up to her neck and curling up. Authanar came forward as well, checking on his brother and nephew, while Gandalf and the remaining Earthen wizards stood further away. Each of them was just as disoriented as the last, with the blood drained from their faces, just staring at each other.

"Are you okay?" Harry whispered to her. She turned her head slowly towards him and his sympathetic look turned more worried. "I saw what happened."

He held his wand up for explanation.

To Violet's surprise, it was Legolas who spoke next, "'Tis how I knew to go in. He told me you were stuck in a dream, and that adar tried to help but was stuck too. He told me he saw Fred and a blonde woman who looked like me, but... I still didn't expect it. I didn't expect it to feel so... real."

"That's because it was real," Gandalf said, stepping forward, "Just because it's in your head doesn't mean it's not real."

Harry's face twisted in recognition at the sound of the phrase, but before he could say anything, Ron's voice was heard, small and unsure, "You saw Fred?"

Violet looked at him, only having just registered that he was here. She could see the crumbling look on his face from where she sat and opened her arms. "Oh, Ron."

He suddenly looked seventeen again, sitting on the other side of her on her cot, leaning the sides of their heads against one another. They had sat just like this the night Fred died, not moving for hours on end, just wanting to be near each other in their grief.

She nudged him slightly, not moving otherwise. "Does it help to know he said he's at peace? That he's pulling pranks on everybody in Mandos's Halls, endlessly irritating Legolas's mum?"

Ron huffed a laugh. "Yeah, a lot, actually. Of course that bloody git can't even be nice in death."

"It's a world where he can pull all the pranks he wants and be as dangerous as he wants. It's like heaven for him."

"You know," Thranduil said, looking at Legolas, "I think your mother is having a wonderful time with him too, despite her faux irritation."

Legolas smiled very softly, and Violet could have sworn that if you looked close enough, you could see the threads of their broken relationship beginning to repair themselves.

"I think so too," Legolas said. The three elves on the floor huddled closer to each other, engaging in a small group hug. Violet smiled, and she felt Harry's head lean softly on her free shoulder, jumping and moving slightly when Flufflepuff yelled at him. Hermione came over to sit under her husband's arm, and Violet turned her eyes towards Draco. For a moment, she considered inviting Draco over, but then Gandalf came to the rescue, wrapping his arm around Draco's shoulder.

Violet watched as Draco tensed for a moment, but when he looked up and saw Gandalf's warm smile, he relaxed and turned his head to the side in a poor attempt to hide his smile. Gandalf and Violet locked eyes, and she tried to make out what he was mouthing to her.

'You are blessed, Violet'.

And she really believed him this time too.

-

Sometime later, everyone began clearing out once more, and from what she could see from the tent door being opened, there were guards posted outside. The moon shone high in the sky, and she assumed it was somewhere around midnight.

Legolas paused by the door, slightly looking over his shoulders. "We shall talk after this is over, okay?"

Thranduil and Violet looked at each other. Turning back to his son, he said with a tiny smile, "Aye."

Legolas nodded once, ducking out of the tent and walking away. Thranduil pushed himself off the ground, lowering himself beside her, and intertwining their fingers together. They looked at each other and smiled as Flufflepuff rolled down from her shoulder onto her arm, landing in the dip between where both of their arms met.

He leaned forward, almost hesitantly, kissing her softly and tenderly. She could feel all of his love, especially when he brought his lips to her temple next. Her eyes slid closed, and she sighed happily when he nudged her with his nose.

"I'm sorry I have not been present like I should," he whispered, tears burning his eyes, "Being caught between my feelings for you and my relationship with my son has been more than agonizing. 'Tis like my heart being burned constantly and for one of the first times in my life, I didn't know what to do."

"Shh," she consoled, shifting her body to cup his cheek. He sank into her touch, eyes sliding closed. "This is what relationships are. They're painful and messy. It's not always happiness, and I chose you through the happy times and the hard ones. I choose you."

"And I will forever be grateful that you did," he said, turning his head and pressing a kiss to the palm of her hand, "I have not cried this much in one thousand years. but... 'tis worth it to know that I have you."

She smiled, moving her gaze across his face, tracing where her eyes went with her index finger: across his cheekbones, up his temple, across his brow, and all the way back down until she was tracing his lips with a featherlight touch.

"We still need to talk," he said, "You were bothered by my gift, and I still don't understand why. I want to understand why."

"I know, but not tonight."

He seemed to misunderstand her words, giving her an understanding smile and getting up after moving Flufflepuff from their arms. He went to walk away, but she caught his wrist.

"Wait!" she said quickly, "Do you... Do you have to leave? Can you stay here with me?"

His shoulders sagged in relief and a bright smile overtook his face. "Of course, meleth nin. By your side is just where I want to be." He knelt in front of her, looking her in the eyes with deep sincerity. "And I shall never stray too far from your side ever again. Not unless you order me away. My place is by your side, no matter where we are in the world, and you by my side." Flufflepuff squeaked, and Thranduil looked in his direction with teasing eyes. "Of course. Your side as well."

She grinned tiredly. "Always so charming."

He grinned back. "Always am." He stood up. "Lay back. You need to sleep, and I need to hold you."

She did as he said, scooting back until she reached the top of the cot. He removed the large robe from his person, laying it on a nearby chair, crawling up beside her, laying his head on her chest and curling beneath the blanket. Flufflepuff moved in between them, nestling in between her rib cage and Thranduil's chest with a content noise.

"Sleep, my love," he whispered.

"I will soon," she whispered back, grabbing her wand from the small side table next to her cot. She used her magic to make two cups of tea, maneuvering them to sit on the table until they cooled enough. She brought her journal in front of her, using her right hand to begin writing and her left to run her fingers through Thranduil's hair, nails scratching along his scalp.

Seeing the words scratched across the page and hearing the slow breathing of Thranduil as his fingers danced across her side was like a healing balm to her heart.

But old wounds were so easily ripped back open with just a singular sentence.

I saw Fred again today.

She felt her chest begin to shudder, but she rolled her lips in between her teeth to try and keep the emotions at bay. It was a bad idea, and she knew it, but she didn't want to destroy the peaceful moment they were having.

I thought the last time I would see Fred Gideon Weasley was on May 2nd, 1998, but I was wrong. The last time I saw him was in November of 2008, in my dreams, telling me how proud he was of me.

A sob that she tried to disguise as a cough rang out, and immediately, Thranduil lifted his head. Without a second thought, he took the journal from her and adjusted the three of them, allowing her to be the one nestled into his chest.

With one hand splayed across her lower back, pulling her as close as he possibly could, and the other running through her hair, he whispered, "Let it out."

Her fingers clutched the front of his linen shirt, sobs quietly leaving her mouth. Violet could hear Flufflepuff whimper from where he sat, and she felt him shuffle just a bit closer, planting himself just in front of Thranduil's arm that went around her.

She cried. She cried for Thranduil. She cried for Legolas. She cried for Ron. She cried for the situation she had put herself in and the pain it had caused others.

She cried for herself.

And she wasn't the only one. She felt lips press into her forehead and a tear hit her cheek. Looking up, Thranduil was staring behind her, tears flowing down his own face.

They held each other tightly, foreheads touching as they cried together. No words needed to be exchanged for them to know how the other one was feeling. No words were needed to explain the pain this night had brought them, nor the relief they felt at not guessing, but knowing for a fact that Esselyth and Fred were at peace – at peace together, in fact.

With time, their cries quietened down, but neither made any effort to move away from each other. Even Flufflepuff had crawled further up, cuddling into both of their necks with contentment.

"You need to sleep, darling," he whispered, opening his eyes to look into her own, "The night is quickly drawing to a close."

She sighed, nodding. She sat up slowly, trying to ease Flufflepuff away from her person so he would not fall. Using a warming charm on the tea that had grown cold, she passed one of the cups to Thranduil, keeping the one with the special herbs for a dreamless sleep to herself.

They each sat at opposite ends of the cot. Violet sat at the top of it, with her knees pulled up to her chest. Both of her hands were in her lap, tea clutched in her right one. One of Thranduil's long legs hung off the edge, with the other tucked underneath him. He rested his weight on his left elbow, keeping his drink in that hand, while playing a game with Flufflepuff with the other.

Neither had communicated what the game was nor had Thranduil presented the rules for winning, so obviously it was one they had played before. Thranduil would move his hand, resting it in one spot, before quickly moving it away when Flufflepuff tried to jump on it. It was like a mix of tag and whack-a-mole.

She smiled as she watched them, pretending to drink her tea long after she had emptied the mug just so they wouldn't stop their game. Perhaps it was the domestic happiness of the moment, the therapeutic pain of crying in each other's arms, or the relief of knowing Legolas and themselves were allowed one final moment of closure that allowed her to say her next words.

Their moment had arrived, with no reason to hold it inside any longer.

"I love you," she said, looking at him with a small, soft smile. Both Flufflepuff's and Tranduil's movements stilled, and the ellon looked into her eyes with awe written plainly across his face. Silently, Thranduil moved from his spot, walking around to the other side of the cot and placing his mug on the side table. He took her own from her hands, placing it and her journal on the same table with care.

He leaned down to her, holding her face like it was glass. He kissed her slowly, and she savored every moment of it, closing her eyes. His tongue brushed her own and she gripped the front of his shirt. All that could be heard through the tent was their ragged breaths mixing together.

"Gi melin," he whispered, brushing his lips against her once more.

She smiled, not bothering to open her eyes. "I hope that means you love me too."

"How could I not? You complete me. I dare say you were made to mold exactly to me and I you."

"Say it," she whispered, biting her lip in a failed attempt at keeping her grin in check.

She felt fingers stroking her cheek, and her eyes opened to see him already looking at her. "I'll say it as many times as you wish. I love you too."

She hardly had time to react, for Flufflepuff let out the loudest squeal she had ever heard from him, jumping up closer towards them and smacking them both in the face when he landed. Thranduil was stunned, eyes wide and mouth open.

Violet giggled, and soon enough, the three were curled under the blanket, with she and Flufflepuff tucked safely in Thranduil's arms. For the first time in weeks, Violet slept easily.

-

i've been waiting for this dream since i wrote violet as being unusually attracted to the veil all the way back in chapter 16. let me know your thoughts!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 87 34
In the dark forest of Mirkwood, shadows are growing, again and again. The leaves are becoming black, as the roots, and as the trees. Birds are not si...
323K 13.1K 50
You have grown up under the care of Radagast the Brown, and on an errand to King Thranduil of Mirkwood you encounter Thorin Oakenshield's Company, th...
18K 685 31
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second or third book then I would recommen...
3.3K 93 23
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second, third or fourth book then I would...